Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E28: 8 Finalists Perform (Again)

• Start Topic

So, Caleb ticked me off tonight.  As one of the "old ladies" he wanted to make cry singing that song tonight, I was annoyed. (Seriously, what the hell?  As one of that generation -- class of '89, baby! -- I'm not THAT old.) The thing is, he exposed himself, and I thought his voice was a bit weaker tonight. 

CJ sounded so good in rehearsal, and so off in his performance.  Jessica was boring.  Sam had some soul.

Harry was a tad unbalanced tonight.

David Cook totally kicked ass in the mentor role.  I can't believe how good he was.

Edited by msburg
  • Love 4

Can I just say how much I love David Cook? LOL seriously though, he was always my favorite Idol but from what the contestants were saying (and from the video), he was actually HELPING them. He's a good egg, that Cookie.

My favorite of the night was Alex. I get what Harry was saying about losing the coffee shop sound. Sooner or later, he's going to have to put the guitar down and walk around that stage. I don't know if he'll be willing to do that (without looking absolutely uncomfortable), so for now I am satisfied with the way he's been doing things.

I also really like Caleb, but then he opens his mouth to speak afterward and I'm just turned off instantly. I get that it's his personality but he comes off so cocky.

Sam was....better? His vocals soared on certain parts of the song. He looked into the camera a lot, which was cool and all, but he still looks timid up there.

And whatever Harry and Keith were drinking tonight, I'll have what they're having.

Edited by loveoutloud
  • Love 5

Worth watching just to behold the glory of David Cook (also bonus few seconds of him singing the thingie in Free Fallin').

He actually did get a glimmer of emotion/connection out of Sam; I thought Time after Time would be boring as hell, and it wasn't (to me). I suppose in the usual way of post-saved contestants, he'll last another week.

Alex's Every Breath You Take would be interesting as an exercise in interpretation in music school, but felt pretty strange for Idol; I can't say I didn't kind of enjoy it, though.

Didn't Jena do that same arrangement with whatever she sang last week: start it slowed-down into a torch song, then ramp up to rock it? I like her best of the girls, but meh.

Jess only sounds really good on her own song, I'm starting to think.

I like Malaya's personality, and she has talent- too bad she didn't wait a few years (if Idol were still on in a few years).

CJ is just the nicest, most earnest-seeming guy, but he needs to go. What's wrong with his voice can't be fixed in Season 13 of American Idol.

Dexter is competent, and a passable small-scale entertainer. I find him utterly boring. Also, he looks like he flew out of the womb face first into a frying pan (or some other hard, flat surface).

Caleb is really good. There was a time that a throwback rocker winning Idol would have seemed like a waste of opportunity, but I guess it doesn't really matter now. I have no idea what he would do with it, but good for him if it happens. Will enough 'old ladies' be offended by being called old ladies to derail him?? Tune in tomorrow to find out!

I'm afraid that the final 2 will be Dexter and Caleb.

And again, you go, DC - best winner ever.

• Love 1

Loved, Loved seeing David Cook again, and he really gave the kids some seriously good feedback and suggestions. They can keep him as mentor forever.

As far as the contestants, I think Alex owned the evening. I wasn't sure what to expect of his arrangement based on the little snippet heard during the segment w/ David Cook, but I thought what he did was incredible. I don't know that he even knew exactly what he brought to it, but whereas Sting's version (which I adore) DOES have that menacing undertone, Alex's was a little bit more sort of lost...not so much "you belong to me and I won't let you out of my sight" as "I belong to you and I don't know how to let go". There was something just a little bit plaintive which I never would have thought could fit in that song, but he made it work.

Sam was surprisingly good as well...He still needs to connect, but I think they almost kind of sabotaged that, in a way, by surrounding him with all those girls right in his face. If he is going to learn how to pick someone in the crowd and make eye contact, I would think baby steps wherein all he needs to do is pick a random face and focus on it for a moment would be easier than having him pick one out of a dozen and sing directly to her. But his musicality and even a bit of feeling did come through, and while I still don't think he's got it in him to win, I am sort of glad they saved him as he does have the potential to give them a really good redemption arc for however long he stays if he keeps taking all the advice to heart.

Caleb sounded fine, but he lost me more with his attitude this time than he ever has before. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt because I really do like his voice, but between the "making old ladies cry" comment before his song, and "just give them the baby face" after (when Ryan asked him about what seemed as though it might be an actual emotion coming through during his song), I am just finally chalking him up as a poser with no actual heart behind his performances. Sorry, Caleb.

Jena might have have been on to something with her arrangement. I didn't hate it, and do appreciate her efforts, but the balance was SO off that her vocals were all but completely buried.

Jessica's voice sounded good on her song, but I really agreed with J Lo (what a concept!) about the fact that if she can't take a song like that and bring the sexy, then no matter how good her voice sounds, it's not the right song for her to sing. I think she does have a personality in there somewhere, but for whatever reason, it just gets totally lost when she is performing. There's just no spark there. Which is a pity, as her voice is among the more engaging this season.

Bandzilla totally buried Malaya as well...no idea what she sounded like. It was probably reasonably good.

Hated Dexter, and liked CJ to a point, but his inability to sing in tune is really going to bite him in the butt soon.

Jena- Points for rearranging the song. The band was drowning her out though and the song was too low for her. Couldn't really hear most of it and since she also went first, I think she could be B3 this week.

Dexter- Predictable song choice, nothing really new from him. At least they did some interesting choreography with the stage.

Malaya- I never understand why the judges don't call her out for those shrieky high notes. I like Malaya the best of the remaining girls and she has a great personality, but she doesn't hit the high notes well and I wish someone would speak up and tell her that. I don't think this song really allowed her to do much until the chorus. She could be B3 again.

Jessica- I'm always happy to see the contestants ditch their guitars and move around the stage. Vocally it's probably one of her better performances but I agree with the judges that she always seems stiff and needs to loosen up more.

Sam- I would not have chosen that song. And I hate hate HATE it when the producers surround him with tween girls. The teen heartthrob thing is not happening, Idol, just let it go! He looked into the camera a lot more, but like the judges said, he should have balanced it between connecting with the TV audience and connecting with the audience right in front of him. Oh Sam. Either his fan base will rally after last week and keep him out of the B3, or it will have no effect and he will once again land in B3 and possibly go home.

Alex- I liked his rearrangement of the song. I liked that he made it more tender and less like it's about a stalker. However, it sounded kind of like everything else he's done. He hasn't gone one week without stepping out from behind his guitar and I think he needs to change it up a little next week. If this was a concert, would he stand behind the mic the whole time with his guitar?

CJ- He did much better with pitch tonight. It was a boring song choice though. Could be B3 if it's not Sam or Malaya this week. I feel like it's his time.

Caleb- Everybody else might as well not have even performed tonight. Caleb stole the night! Love love love him. Predictable song choice, yes, but he sang the shit out of it, so who cares? I really felt like he was genuinely singing it from a real-life experience or like he was thinking about someone while singing it. I loved seeing the tender moments at the start and then seeing him wail it out like he usually does- shows everyone he can do both. Not only was it the best performance of the night, but I also think it's his personal best performance on the show to date. Wow. And Randy loved it, so that must count for something. I would say for sure that Caleb did this song justice. If this guy doesn't win Idol, there is something wrong with America. This man can SANG and he's the most consistent performer on the show. He makes tuning in each week and waiting till the last five minutes just to see him perform worth it. Love love love Caleb and his amazing hair.

Duets:
Overall the duets were a massive improvement from last week. Much better songs and much better pairings.

Alex and Sam- Eh song but their voices blended well. I just felt like they could have connected to the song and to each other more.

Caleb and Jena- Far better pairing than Caleb and Jessica. That duet was so awkward, whereas this one I felt like both of them connected to each other and looked like they were having fun.

Malaya and CJ- Malaya carried most of this song. They did okay, but nothing compares to when Jessica Sanchez and Joshua Ledet did this song back in Season 11

Jessica and Dexter- Jessica also carried this song. She sounded great and their voices blended really well together, but again, I think Skylar Laine and Colton Dixon from S11 have them beat just a bit.

Prediction for B3 is CJ, Jena, and either Sam or Malaya
Going home: CJ

The judges were bizarre tonight though with all their antics. Did they have some of Malaya's caffeine or something? 

• Love 2

So, Caleb ticked me off tonight.  As one of the "old ladies" he wanted to make cry singing that song tonight, I was annoyed. (Seriously, what the hell?  As one of that generation -- class of '89, baby! -- I'm not THAT old.) The thing is, he exposed himself, and I thought his voice was a bit weaker tonight. 

CJ sounded so good in rehearsal, and so off in his performance.  Jessica was boring.  Sam had some soul.

Harry was a tad unbalanced tonight.

David Cook totally kicked ass in the mentor role.  I can't believe how good he was.

Seriously, I said out loud, "is he drunk?"

Performance of the night, Caleb. I liked it. The old lady comment was weird. I have found that I just love Ryan Seacrest. I think he just seems like an all around nice guy. I used to think he was douchey, but have since changed my mind. Harry brought the crazy tonight and it was fun.

• Love 1

About Caleb's "old lady" comment, I think he is just one of those people who say stupid things and don't realize it until people get upset over it. Like the peanut comment. He probably means it has a harmless comment but people take it the wrong way. Maybe what he meant about making old ladies cry is the sentiment of the song- it's about remaining faithful to your lover and I guess maybe he thought old ladies would find that heartwarming? I doubt he meant that as some kind of insult or something. 

I've honestly never cared much for David Cook, but he was a great mentor tonight and really had a lot of valuable advice for the contestants. There was a definite improvement from all of them. I wish they would bring in former Idols as mentors every week. They are clearly more useful than anything Randy has to say.

• Love 1

So, Caleb ticked me off tonight.  As one of the "old ladies" he wanted to make cry singing that song tonight, I was annoyed. (Seriously, what the hell?  As one of that generation -- class of '89, baby! -- I'm not THAT old.) The thing is, he exposed himself, and I thought his voice was a bit weaker tonight.

Class of 86 here, and I did not cry. I did not really even like it. It sounded like a bad cover version to me, like he was trying to sing the song just like Journey and was just messing up. The only guy I've heard who can do justice to Steve Perry is that Filipino guy who's been singing with Journey. Caleb can't. He possibly wasn't trying to, but to me it sounded like he was trying and just couldn't do it.

On the other hand, I was surprised to find that I really liked Alex's version of "Every Breath You Take." I loved that song when I was 15 so I expected to hate a reworking of it, but I didn't. I am wondering exactly what Harry and Keith were trying to say, though. The closest I have come to an explanation of Keith's push-and-pull is Paul Simon and how he never seems to sing a song the same way twice. So if you learn a song from a live album, when you hear another version, it won't be quite the way you know it. It's not big changes, but it's just different. I suppose because he just feels it differently each time. Is that what they mean?

I'm also not sure what Harry meant about the shuffle when he was talking to Jessica. What I thought was missing in her performance was a rhythm to her walk. She sang really good, I thought, but she just walked around. There was no beat to the walking. It was like she sings the music, but doesn't feel it. (Is that what he meant?)

ETA: Who picked out those duets? They were all horrible choices. I remember hating all of those songs. And I knew someone was going to do the George Michael and Aretha Franklin song.

Edited by auntlada

About Caleb's "old lady" comment, I think he is just one of those people who say stupid things and don't realize it until people get upset over it. Like the peanut comment. He probably means it has a harmless comment but people take it the wrong way. Maybe what he meant about making old ladies cry is the sentiment of the song- it's about remaining faithful to your lover and I guess maybe he thought old ladies would find that heartwarming? I doubt he meant that as some kind of insult or something. 

I've honestly never cared much for David Cook, but he was a great mentor tonight and really had a lot of valuable advice for the contestants. There was a definite improvement from all of them. I wish they would bring in former Idols as mentors every week. They are clearly more useful than anything Randy has to say.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree about Caleb. I don't think he is clueless about the effect of his words but is basically a cynical, snarky person who isn't used to having to filter what he says and forgets that he's got a national platform instead of the old dive bars he's used to performing in. The crack betrayed a veiled contempt for the "old ladies" that he thinks he has to win over in order to win. It may have been wrapped in a chuckle but it still rubbed me - an "old lady" (class of 1980) the wrong way. I don't deny he has a great voice and is comfortable on the stage unlike most of the others this season, but I'm not a fan of his stage antics or his attitude. He will probably win but I think he's lacking the charm of previous winners.

As for David Cook, he was a great mentor and I think is a really genuine guy. Now, he has had some scary encounters with stalkerish fans in the past so he's got some justification to be a bit wary of some of the old lady fans. Still, he always seemed a gentleman when he was on the show from what I remember.

• Love 4

Tonight was pretty hit or miss for me. Seeing David Cook made me nostalgic for past seasons when contestants actually had more engaging personalities and their progressions where far more favorable than these last few seasons.

The Bad:

I just can't get my head to wrap around why the judges (read TPTB) see pop star when it comes to Jena. For me she is basically a piano bar/lounge singer (not that there's anything wrong that). She has no lower register but never arranges a song so she doesn't have to dip below her comfort level. When the audience think the band is drowning her or Malaya out imo it is basically because they have no lower register so they have to whisper sing those parts to get to the belting part of the song. I am also sick of these contestants playing a couple of bars at the piano and then ditching it. Either commit to it for the full performance or don't use it at all. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Malaya's voice is not full bodied enough to tackle Through The Fire. I don't think a couple of years will make a difference. No lower register and just shrieked her way through the higher parts. Of course the judges couldn't even comment on her being flat during her duet with CJ. I don't know what was worse - her flatness or his sharpness. Just basing on her movements only, I'm guessing Malaya is a tomboy. Nothing wrong with that if it is true. I'm a tomboy, but I'm not on a national stage performing in front of millions of people. Someone, a choreographer perhaps, needs to work with her on her movements. She moves like a hype man for a rapper. Now if she's going to be a hip hop artist, then no problem.

CJ I just give up on. You knew from his audition on that he could not sing in tune. Yet here he still is doing the same exact thing two to three months later. Enough is enough. He never should have been wildcarded.

The OK But Not Stellar:

Jessica is basically always on point vocally, but she doesn't know how to perform. She looks like a sleepwalker when singing. She's one that can switch between rock and country. As long as she doesn't have to sustain long notes then her vibrato isn't as noticeable.

Sam looked like he was having a mini stroke during his solo. His left eye kept twitching or closing. I guess that was his way of emoting. Poor guy. I don't think he will ever get over his shyness. He needs to find a way to just lose himself in the performance if making contact with the audience is way beyond his comfort level. Vocally he nails it for me everytime and he can switch between pop and big band. I hope he truly gets someone to mentor him after the show.

I really liked Alex this week but I caught myself daydreaming midway through his song. He is someone who knows who he is as an artist, but competing on AI isn't the same as performing out in the real world. He's more of an intimate setting performer than performing in large venues.  

Dexter - competent but karaoke.

I agree with JLo that Caleb did not appear comfortable during the softer moments of Faithfully. I still enjoy his vocals, but he's no Steve Perry. I didn't hear his "old ladies" comment, but hopefully someone will clue him into the fact that this isn't only a singing competition. Fans can turn against you very quickly.

My bottom 3: CJ, Malaya, Jena                                                                                                                                                 

My favorite song of the night belonged to Alex. I thought his treatment was original, interesting, and cohesive.

David Cook is terrific. I was desperate to hear him sing "Free Fallin'" instead of CJ, after getting that teaser snippet of him singing with the background singers. And, dear God, did he just show up Randy Jackson as the useless waste of space "mentor" he is.

Edited by Swedish Chef
  • Love 2

I really like Alex, but what a strange song to Mraz-up.  Without the steady, predatory downbeat, the song loses all its power in my opinion.  I don't find the lyrics sweet - 'every vow you break', 'every smile you fake', along with 'can't you see, you belong to me?'  Dude is seething and obsessing.  The underlying menace is what always made the song interesting, for me.  I've liked his stuttering, tempo-bending Mraz spins on past songs and thought they really worked, but this was a weird choice.

CJ - bless his heart.  So sweet and endearing, and just so, so bad.

Edited by lyric
  • Love 1

First, I missed knowing why David Cook was on, but happy to hear nothing from Randy. Was he sidelined this week? The part I saw, DC was 1000 times more helpful. Great choice.

Also, I was surprised J-Lo seemed insightful re: Jessica and I don't think Jessica looked like she understood it--even though the point seems very obvious for a singer--if you can't connect to the emotion/spirit of a song (in this case, if you can't make a sexy song sound sexy) then choose something you -can- connect with instead.

Finally, re: Sam. I think Idol is -trying- to make him uncomfortable with all the girls. Then again, I always have found this show mean-spirited behind-the-scenes and I can't help feeling someone is laughing at him every week.  That said, I am cheering him on after hearing that at the last minute he just couldn't stand the band and tried to learn the song quickly so he could just accompany himself. Bravo to you, Sam! That was a great choice.

(Oh, and Harry? Yes, he has a little bit of Rick Nelson vibe going on but Rick Nelson barely learned three chords and was a very bland vocalist, too.  Just because he was a handsome heartthrob who the camera loved--and he cared about his music--doesn't make him someone for Sam to be inspired by. I think he has a lot more potential as a musician than Rick Nelson (whom I liked, but...seriously. Three chords and he didn't want to learn any more.)

• Love 1

I love how HCJ has signalled that he is absolutely over this.  

David Cook was a fabulous mentor, who was not allowed to get to the singers until well after things were decided.

I about fell out when JLo actually spoke truth to Alex about his massacre of EBYT.  Maybe she has checked out, as well.

• Love 2

Oh Cookie, looking good!!  I loved, loved, loved that they brought you back to mentor. Good advice, but agree with above that a lot had already been decided before the contestants got to you. 

This was the first week I actually liked Jena, go figure!

Didn't understand one word Dexter sang, and he knows he needs to work on his diction.  Big fail there, Dex

Malaya, beginning was good, but fell apart on the big notes (again).  And not a word from the judges.

Poor Sam in the pit surrounded by screaming young ladies.  Sounded good, looked in the camera instead of at his toes.  Making eye contact with one of those girls would probably have made him blush so bad, his cheeks would have been beet red instead of just pink.

The walking was uncomfortable, Jess.  Sounded good though, as always.  Not my favorite to start the year, but growing on me.

Alex - good arrangement, not DC great.

Why does CJ always sound so good in rehearsal?  And so crappy when he gets out on stage?  Nerves?  It makes me sad, as he has been my favorite since auditions, love his voice, but man, the beginning of Free Fallin' was not good.

Caleb - Typical Caleb, always good vocally, but do not speak after you sing (or before either). 

Other notes - Jen did not look happy to be sitting by herself.  That made me smile!

Harry and Keith could sing a duet for me any day.  Wanted to hear more of that.  They were a little nutty tonight - loved it.

Best of the night - DC (by a mile) then I guess Caleb and  Alex

Bottom 3 - Malaya, Dexter, CJ

Going home - Malaya (no more save!)

Harry and Keith - hilarious!  I agree that Jennifer did not look impressed sitting by herself.  Ryan saved the day on that one didn't he and tried to make her feel better by filling those seats for her.  She also didn't look impressed when all the talk was going on about hair extensions.

Oh Caleb.  I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and I actually like your performances even though the snottiness was coming through more and more.  Last night was the icing on the cake.  The look on his face last night when the judges were talking to him was just disrespectful and smug looking as if he knew better and they were fools. 

I forgot to grab the sentence to quote - but to the person who talked about Jessica and what Harry was saying - you said it in a different manner but I think the two of you were saying the same thing.  She doesn't look natural and at ease when she walks around.  This was said to a few of the singers - they look like it's too choreographed and they are thinking about their next move vs doing what comes naturally.  Some people are just naturals when it comes to moving to the music - doesn't matter where they are or what kind of music playing/they can hear.  Jessica is not one of those people.

Sam looked a little more at ease tonight.  I think David Cook gave him great advice - well he gave all the contestants great advice.  I'll jump on the band wagon of getting poor Sam out of the circle of teenage girls though.  He's probably afraid of the one he makes eye contact with jumping him in the middle of his performance.  I'd be a little scared to make eye contact with any of them too.

Sam needs to knock back a couple of shots before he goes onstage- I think it would do wonders for him. That deer in the headlights thing is getting old. I'd like to see him loosey goosey and NGAFing his way through a song.

• Love 1

David Cook was FANTASTIC!  What a great mentor.  I had to laugh when the artists would perform at practice and David rather charged up to them with feedback and Randy was basically running on his heels like a little puppy "dawg" right behind him like he had something to add/say and then stood there looking down, hilarious and spot on...Randy has to go and is a waste.  

Alex's version of the song and his voice almost made me tear up, I connected with that one.  

Caleb's comments especially about old women....WOW.  He is a snarky arrogant brat, haven't liked him from the beginning, if he wins I am done with AI for good.  I had to keep turning the volume down during his singing.  He makes me not care.  

Poor Sam being thrown into that pack of girls!  He has a great voice but I honestly can't look at him.

Malaya is squeaky in spots and someone described her moves as hip hoppish I think which best describes them and what she was wearing last night emphasized that too.  Love her parents!

Where was CJ's girlfriend last night?  She wasn't shown crying or singing the words along with him?  Maybe she left early because he should be right behind her, sweet guy but not an AI. 

Yes what was Harry on last night??!  He took over the show and some of it was cute and needed but some was a bit over the top...he and Keith singing was great fun...JLO not sure what to do and her being alone was funny.  I am thinking JLO gets 5second single camera shots on her a couple of times per contestant performance.  She also looks constantly at the monitors to know when she is on and can give the extra sultry look and she seems to know when the camera will pan to her during a performance and she "acts" the judge even more.  

Jena's "I am Jena" personality can go anytime, she too has been spoiled and I find it hard to connect with her.  

Dexter??  Kidding right, who thought he could come from sawdust on the floor bars (which I love!) to the AI stage and not be a train wreck?

Jessica has a great voice but is sorely lacking physicality for some reason.  She can't move on stage any better than she can walk.  She seems to have a physical limitation of some kind?

Can't remember any of the others, what does that say..

• Love 1

It warms my heart to see David Cook. He is a class act - as a musician and as a human being. I wish him continued success personally and professionally - he deserves it. I was disappointed to see that Sam did not heed his advice to move around the stage, hell, he wasn't even ON the stage. Oh well. Agree with everyone that Cookiepuss made Randy look even more useless than ever, which was awesome!

Caleb is a smarmy little shit. I hope to never hear of him or from him again, once this season ends.

What can be said about CJ? Is he tone deaf? It's bizarre; he simply cannot sing in tune. How messed up is it that this deep into the competition, the judges are praising him for ALMOST singing in tune: "You're SO close! You're almost there!" I think that if CJ can manage to get though one song completely in tune, he should have the confetti shower that Sam had last week.

• Love 1

I apologize for just repeating my TWOP, but I'm at work, so I have to do this quick.

This week's duets were forgettable. And in the case of The Girl Is Mine, milquetoast (which suits that lame song just perfectly in my opinion). So let's just pretend they never happened. Although Jessica and Dexter did sound good on theirs.

Can we keep David Cook as a mentor and get rid of Randy? David gave the contestants such good advice (even if they didn't always take it) and we actually saw him working with them as both a musician and a performer. Randy is, well, Randy.

Jena - I could barely hear her over the band, and what I heard was okay but nothing special.
Malaya - See Jena's review above. Plus, she's no Chaka Khan. This performance puts her back into the "eh" category for me.
Dexter - I liked this quite a bit. He has a good voice and never sounds bad, but this upped his performance level. Still needs to work on the enunciation a lot.
Jessica - Vocally, this was very good, but she still really needs to loosen up on stage. A lot.
Sam - He sounded terrific, and I think there was more genuine emotional connection, but he's still somewhat robotic. He just seems so young. Harry's advice about watching videos of Ricky Nelson's performances was spot on.
CJ - Well, he sounded good-ish on the chorus, but that started off-key as usual. I like what I've seen of CJ's personality, and I get what the judges are saying when they talk about his tone, but he really needs some serious professional training if he wants to make music his career.
Alex - I suspect this will be a polarizing performance for a lot of people. I get what JLo was saying about being put off by the arrangment, and I kinda was at first, but then the intimacy and sheer brilliance of Alex's performance pulled me in. For me, this was by far the best of the night, and part of the reason he's my pick to win this thing. I really like the coffee house/indie vibe, and he doesn't have to change that up for me.
Caleb - It was good to see Caleb go quieter and subtler for once. It might not have been quite as on point vocally as usual, but it felt more emotionally connected and more genuine and less karaoke-y. And when he took it up several notches at the end of the song, it felt liked he'd actually earned that for a change.

My top 3: Alex, Caleb and Jessica
My bottom 3: CJ, Malaya, Jena
Real bottom 3: CJ, Malaya, Dexter (or maybe Sam)
Should go home: CJ, although I personally would rather get rid of Malaya
Will go home: I think it'll be Malaya or Sam (if he's in the bottom 3) - they've both been in the bottom 3 several times

I loved all the not-so-backhanded stabs at Randy:  (paraphrasing) "It's so great to have a real mentor who actually won this and can really help us and tell us what to do!"

Count me as another "old lady" who's never been a huge Journey fan. I laughed at Caleb's comment, but I hope he doesn't try to apologize again tonight.  

I adore Harry, but I thought it was very creepy for him to have a tween girl sitting on his shoulders like that. When he sat down with her, I was hoping we'd find out it was his daughter, but no.  Is there a graceful way for her to dismount? I'm glad we didn't have to see it.

• Love 2

Eh, I'm 45 and could care less about being called an old lady by a 22 year old.  Was it smart?  Nope. He really needs to work on that cocky attitude of his and watch what he says. Do I like him personally?  Not much.  But, I like his singing, the consistency of his performances and his song choices.  I'm not really loving anyone else (although, I think Jessica is pretty good and I appreciate how enthusiastic Jena is), so, it's him that I look forward to. 

I hate, hate, hate, Every Breath You Take. With a passion.  So, Alex could have made it the angels weep and choirs sing and I wouldn't have cared. 

Yes, he has a little bit of Rick Nelson vibe going on but Rick Nelson barely learned three chords and was a very bland vocalist, too.

I just watched three different Ricky Nelson videos and fail to see he's that much better than Sam when it comes to connecting with people while he sings. Every so often, I'd see a little sparkle there that I don't see in Sam, but, I don't see that much of a difference.  Also, I couldn't sit through Sam's performance.  I thought that, vocally, it was one of his weaker ones.

I was ok with Jena's arrangement of I Love Rock and Roll except for the piano part. 

Maylaya:  I thought the song was too old for her.  I wish she'd have picked something lighter, fun and upbeat. 

We need David Cook on the show more often. That's how you mentor someone!

I'm sure there will be a moment tonight when Caleb interrupts Ryan and apologize to all the old ladies he may have offended last night.

I really liked Alex' performance last night.  It made a very overdone song sound interesting to me, again.  If someone even tries to copy Sting's style, they sound like a weak imitation.  Alex managed to avoid that last night.

Malaya, however, did not.  She showed just how young she is, her voice completely lacked the warmth Chaka Khan has in that performance. 

What was HCJ smoking?

Keith Urban's jawline. That is all.

Poor JLo seemed like the designated driver at the party where everyone else is buzzed and crazy and thinks everything is funny and the one not drinking doesn't get it.  

• Love 2

LOL so true, HCJ and Keith both getting more and more into hellraising sure sidelined JLO.  Maybe that is the only way they can get as much camera time as she seems to get!  

I thought Jessica was hilarious when she sat in Keith's chair and said well I think the performance was awesome!

Not sure how I will feel if Caleb apologizes for his old lady remark...speaking as an old lady....who needs yet another apology.  

And it is true the judges are not consistent in their approach to the contestants with feedback.  I would LOVE to see David Cook as a judge or permanent mentor.

• Love 1

Wouldn't it be funny if Caleb's mom and dad actually  got up there and apologized to everyone for their son's attitude towards everything?  If we are going for apologies, that would certainly be funny.  Tell me if I am on the wrong foot here but I get the feeling that Caleb is well versed in cougars.  He said: Just flashing them my baby face and going to make the old ladies cry.  Is that his audience when he is out singing in clubs?  Just a vibe I get.  It's like he is playing a game and not really singing from the heart as an artist.  It's the art of the con.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm just biased because Caleb is my favorite but I doubt he meant the old lady comment to come off as an insult. I'm sure he and the other contestants are perfectly aware of what audience this show has and maybe he thought old ladies would cry at his song because it's a ballad. I don't think he meant for it to sound like "I'm gonna make old ladies cry 'cause I'm mean!" He can no doubt come off snarky a lot, but I don't think he intentionally does it to sound like a jerk- some people just say stupid things because to them, it's funny, but they don't realize how it's coming off to other people. The same thing happens to me all the time, where I might say something that's intended as a joke but someone else takes it the wrong way as if I meant to insult them. Unfortunately for Caleb, he is going to have to learn to watch what he says more often and how he says it. People who know him in real life say he's a nice guy though. I just think the cocky attitude comes from his determination to win. He clearly knows he's a good singer and since this is his 3rd time auditioning (no one else in the Top 10 auditioned more than once), he probably feels he deserves the win the most. His attitude is like a defensive mechanism when the judges don't give him a stellar review. I do believe he is a nice guy in real life, if only he would just show that more on the show. If he had CJ's likability, he'd have this thing in the bag. Someone from PR please help this man, he is doing himself a disservice.

As an old lady who is honestly difficult to offend, I'd tell Caleb what I tell my own kiddos -- it's not what you say it's how you say it.  When he makes dumb, smug comments like that AND is blatantly dismissive of the judging, it's easy to believe that he thinks that little of the audience.

• Love 5

I was hoping that the girl Harry had on his shoulders was his daughter and was really creeped out when I found it wasn't….

Creeped out indeed. I thought he was about to introduce us to his daughter.... but she wasn't. Creepy.

As an old lady who is honestly difficult to offend, I'd tell Caleb what I tell my own kiddos -- it's not what you say it's how you say it.  When he makes dumb, smug comments like that AND is blatantly dismissive of the judging, it's easy to believe that he thinks that little of the audience.

THIS. Also calling someone "old" is hardly a compliment in any context imo and seems insulting to me. Even Caleb knows that or he should.

• Love 1

I am an old(ish) lady and Caleb DID make me cry.....but only because he is still there. He may have charisma onstage and is able to sing in tune, but that air of entitlement is extremely annoying. It may translate as self-confidence to some but to me it is just cockiness. That remark, coupled with the peanut allergy prank, makes me wish for his elimination tonight, though that's not likely. I can't begin to imagine his attitude if he were to actually become 'famous'. Of course, just my opinion. Others may vary.

• Love 3

I think Caleb has a slightly different attitude because he's admitted he's not looking for a solo pop career. He really wants to front a band. So I'm not sure if he cares enough about winning to pander and change his personality at all. I think of him more as a Steven Tyler or even Mick Jagger type, being "wild" and slightly outrageous, and he's hoping that a band contacts him after the show, regardless of whether he wins.  I think he would kill for the sort of career Daughtry or Adam Lambert have.

Having said all that, I actually really like Caleb and think he's a cutie.  I am hoping against hope that Jena or Dexter go home tonight.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm just biased because Caleb is my favorite but I doubt he meant the old lady comment to come off as an insult. I'm sure he and the other contestants are perfectly aware of what audience this show has and maybe he thought old ladies would cry at his song because it's a ballad. I don't think he meant for it to sound like "I'm gonna make old ladies cry 'cause I'm mean!"

I don't think that anyone is upset because they think he was being mean. In fact his thinking "old ladies would cry at his song because it's a ballad" is equally offensive.

People are upset that he felt the need to use the word "old."

Saying "Make the ladies cry" would have communicated exactly the same sentiment without pissing off any viewers.

It's his choice of qualifiers that has me in a snit.

Edited by Pestilentia
  • Love 4
He clearly knows he's a good singer and since this is his 3rd time auditioning (no one else in the Top 10 auditioned more than once), he probably feels he deserves the win the most.

Or, you could say that if he STILL hasn't won after two attempts, then he's not good enough to win after a third, fourth or fifth attempt. "Deserves"? Really? There isn't a person in this thing who is entitled to win anything. You audition, you get selected, you work your ass off and hope it pays off with the voters and that's that. Now I hate Caleb even more. He's an obnoxious little creep, pretending to be a big deal. I'd never pay a cent to see or hear him do anything. 

• Love 3

Caleb really could use some media relations coaching. He certainly comes off as a bit of a tool.  I'm an old lady and that didn't offend me, except that he might think we all like Journey.  He just seems to forget where he is when he's talking and how it might sound to people who don't know him. He's young and a bit oblivious, but I like his singing.  I would like to see him try someting a bit more restrained, just to see if he can do it.

• Love 1

Or, you could say that if he STILL hasn't won after two attempts, then he's not good enough to win after a third, fourth or fifth attempt. "Deserves"? Really? There isn't a person in this thing who is entitled to win anything. You audition, you get selected, you work your ass off and hope it pays off with the voters and that's that. Now I hate Caleb even more. He's an obnoxious little creep, pretending to be a big deal. I'd never pay a cent to see or hear him do anything. 

Candice Glover auditioned 3 times and won. Maybe he thought the same could happen for him. 

Creeped out indeed. I thought he was about to introduce us to his daughter.... but she wasn't. Creepy.

THIS. Also calling someone "old" is hardly a compliment in any context imo and seems insulting to me. Even Caleb knows that or he should.

"Old" may not be a compliment but I don't see it as an insult either. Unfortunately it's usually used in a way that is meant to be an insult. But it's true that there are many "elderly" women out there who are fans of the show. If you are 60+ years old, you are old and it's just the truth. It doesn't mean it's an insult, it just means well… that you are old! It's not any different than saying "I want to make all the young ladies cry!" It's just a reference to age… And you can't really fault him for speaking the truth- there are indeed many old folk who watch the show. 

I think Caleb has a slightly different attitude because he's admitted he's not looking for a solo pop career. He really wants to front a band. So I'm not sure if he cares enough about winning to pander and change his personality at all. I think of him more as a Steven Tyler or even Mick Jagger type, being "wild" and slightly outrageous, and he's hoping that a band contacts him after the show, regardless of whether he wins.  I think he would kill for the sort of career Daughtry or Adam Lambert have.

Having said all that, I actually really like Caleb and think he's a cutie.  I am hoping against hope that Jena or Dexter go home tonight.

Glad to see someone else here who doesn't completely despise him lol. I think he's cute too. That fabulous hair makes it hard to admit he can sometimes be a jerk, or at least come off like one. He's even said he doesn't read his Twitter, even when fans are tweeting him supportive messages. Probably not a smart idea. Oh I wish someone from PR would clue him in. I love the man but he's doing himself a major disservice. I know he doesn't want to play the popstar game but he has to- if it's his aim to win, he has to play by the rules. He's probably just at that age where you think you know everything. I know it'e easy to pick at and criticize everything the contestants do, "Oh she folded her arms! Oh she has bitch face! Oh he said we're old!" but I think people should remember they're just kids and probably aren't aware of how they come off on camera. It's a very awkward thing to look and sound professional on camera. I'm sure everyone watching said and did similarly stupid and obnoxious things and were awkward or shy at that age. Some viewers take everything they say and do a little too seriously.

Basically, if Caleb had said "I want to make all the young ladies cry!" nobody would have given it a second thought. But because the word "old" was used, which nowadays is usually meant as an insult, it was taken as one. As bad as Caleb might be with his faux pas, it's nowhere near last season's group. Lazaro alone made far worse faux pas than Caleb has. Caleb might have made dumb jokes about peanuts and old ladies, but he never directly insulted the judges, the media, or his fellow contestants. I remember Lazaro trying to say something like "Well all the judges have had bad spots in their careers too", Devin with "Somebody messed up their part and I had to cover for them," Amber not knowing who Michael Slezak is and slagging him off because he dissed her outfit… I think a semi-stupid remark about old ladies is hardly that bad in comparison. That being said, all the contestants this year could use media training. Even the shy and nice ones like Sam could use it because they seem so awkward. Some of them need more confidence and some need less. Maybe they are depositing all their money for PR towards Randy's salary to basically sit and do nothing.

I adore Harry, but I thought it was very creepy for him to have a tween girl sitting on his shoulders like that. When he sat down with her, I was hoping we'd find out it was his daughter, but no.  Is there a graceful way for her to dismount? I'm glad we didn't have to see it.

I had the same thought & said as much to my mom.  Regardless how charming HCJ usually is, there's never a reason for a man his age to have a random adolescent on his shoulders.  Ever.

I really enjoyed Alex & Sam.  Since the auditions, they both have voices and approaches to the music I respond to the most.  I wonder if part of Sam's nervousness is because he's worried about looking nervous.  He blushes very easily, which I also do, and it's possibly he's aware of that and can't stop thinking about it.  Sticking him in a group of distracting girls who are just waiting for a pause to "woo!!!!" isn't going to help anyone, especially a guy working to look more comfortable performing.

Jessica needs to skip the Valium before showtime.  Even when she sounds good, the apathetic way she performs is too distracting to enjoy her.

"Old" may not be a compliment but I don't see it as an insult either. Unfortunately it's usually used in a way that is meant to be an insult. But it's true that there are many "elderly" women out there who are fans of the show. If you are 60+ years old, you are old and it's just the truth. It doesn't mean it's an insult, it just means well… that you are old! It's not any different than saying "I want to make all the young ladies cry!" It's just a reference to age… And you can't really fault him for speaking the truth- there are indeed many old folk who watch the show.

Some people are obese; it's "true" that they're obese, but it's rude to bring it up imo. "Old" in this context with Caleb came across to me as  insulting. I don't personally give a shit about what he thinks, but it was super rude to say that imo.  "Old" is very different than "young"  just like "You have beautiful skin" is very different from "you have unsightly acne." Both can be totally true and both are referencing the condition of skin. One comment is inherently rude and doesn't need to be said imo.  

If I hear JenNotGina say "LOAF" one more time, I'm going to throw things. Great song choice though. Too bad she botched it horribly (imo.) Her lower register is craptastic imo.

Agreed that that song was too big for Malaya. She's not Chaka and I wasn't crazy about the song either. Her soft singing voice is lovely though.

I had the same thought & said as much to my mom.  Regardless how charming HCJ usually is, there's never a reason for a man his age to have a random adolescent on his shoulders.  Ever.

THIS. And holy crap it went on for way too long. Sheesh. Awkward and creepy. I was a little surprised at that from him. He seemed out of sorts last night or hyper or something.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

If you have to keep explaining and explaining why someone isn't an asshole...then, most likely, they are an asshole.  Thus, Caleb is, in my opinion, an asshole.  If he gets a shock boot tonight, I will do cartwheels with my granny self.

• Love 6

Not to completely beat it to death, but I was in college in the 80s when Journey was big and could very easily be Caleb's mother.  When you are 22, someone in their 50s is old.  I certainly was not insulted by his remark but I laughed at how silly everyone is when they are 22.  In 1985, if I was talking about a song from the 50s, I'd probably describe it as a song old people like.  It was just a silly off-the-cuff remark.  I doubt "old" women are Caleb's voting demographic, but if we are, I'm guessing we'll be able to laugh and forget it and not hold it against him. 

• Love 2