Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville Has Been Cancelled

17 minutes ago, MisterS said:

One other thing - if the unimaginable happens and it gets picked up elsewhere, would the cast be contract bound to continue? I honestly can't imagine Connie Britton wanting to if she had the choice. 

On the contrary I think Connie Britton would absolutely stay for a fifth season headed by the new showrunners. I think most of the cast saw that as a chance for the show's redemption.

• Love 2

Wow.  I expected this but it's still sad.  Mostly because they will leave us with a stupid cliffhanger and everyone miserable.  Please, show, at least let Avery run far, far away from bloody Layla.

This show had so much promise.  I compare it to "Smash" - loads of potential but totally ruined by the writers who took emphasis off the music business and just screwed everything up.  I'm sorry to see it go but figure there's no way they will get picked up by cable or online.  So much singing talent among the cast...I'll miss that.

Best of luck to the cast, especially Hayden.  Too bad the show failed with the dreck they were given.

• Love 7

I'm a few episodes behind, so may just skip the rest if there is a cliffhanger and no one has picked up the show.  (I realize the chances of that are slim, but Zwick and Herskowitz should be back in prime time.)  I hope they can find a way to at least partially resolve some of the story lines.

I compare it to "Smash"

Oh, Smash! R.I.P to that show...I loved it and still mourn it even though it was a total mess and Katherine McPhee was hard to like. I think Nashville will hold the same place in my heart as a show that never fully lived up to it's potentially but is squarely aimed at what I'm interested in watching. 

• Love 3

I rather liked Smash and McPhee, terrible as it was.  Her new show, I quit about 5 episodes in, though.

Another poorly written musical show is Empire, if you're desperate.

When is the finale?  I'll be sure to skip it.  

19 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

And the Maddie story (as over the top as it is) is actually something different and interesting.  We won't be able to see that play out, now.  

I know!!! We won't be able to watch her crash and burn with Cash. I think I'm most bummed about that the most.

The season is going to end terribly depressing.  Everyone's relationships suck right now!

• Love 3

Well, *this* is interesting; hope it is true!:  'Nashville‘s Season 4 finale, set to air on May 25, will now be its series finale. For those fans who are worried about getting closure on the show’s storylines, Esten shares that alternate versions were shot, so they’re “prepared for this contingency.” '

LINK: Charles Esten Comments on 'Nashville' Cancellation | http://theboot.com/charles-esten-nashville-cancellation/?trackback=tsmclip

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, that's true, we got news about them shooting alternate endings months ago. Of course back then nobody believed it because "it wasn't coming through official channels" but the truth is the Nashville fans in the know didn't need to rely on official channels.

Edited by Telepath

Alternate versions....whew, what a relief!  Let's just get all of the couples together, send bratty Maddie back home, have everyone sing lovely songs and call it a day. 

I'm going to be honest here....the person I feel the most sympathy for (and I hope I'm not the only one) is Jonathan Jackson. I really hope he finds something else that's better for his immense talents because I really don't want him to go back to General Hospital.

• Love 11

I think both Jonathan and Clare need to find other shows and opportunities to showcase their skills as musicians. Clare is amazing. It will never happen, but Clare and Sam could've been a band. A legit band, for real.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

Over at Slate, Willa Paskin, perfectly sums up my feelings, as I expect those of others, about the show:

"Nashville was always showing glimmers of promise. It was not just a bad show—it was a bad show with a good show lurking inside of it "

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/05/13/nashville_has_been_canceled_and_the_middling_primetime_soap_opera_will_be.html

The sad part is that Nashville was a good show which gradually got destroyed, but even complete morons weren't quite able to extinguish the briiliance within it. That's what made so many people hang on. That's what makes so many people sad that it's gone. This is the victory of mediocrity and sometimes outright loathsomeness to the point where it kills its host.

• Love 3

If it's any consolation to those of you who love Will (such as I do) and want him to be happy, I'll tell you this.  I was a background actor in the recent funeral scene and one of the scenes that got cut (they cut a BUNCH of stuff) showed Kevin sitting with the other mourners.  I know this for a fact because I was sitting right behind him and the make-up person even powdered my face between takes.  I don't know why they cut this out.

So we can all rest assured that Will and Kevin eventually get married, have little Cadences of their own (since he seemed to adore that baby) and live happily ever after next door to me.

• Love 12

I have mixed feelings about the cancellation.  When you don't care if Deacon and Rayna are able patch up their marriage or if Avery and Juliette reunite, it made for a pretty boring show without the awesome music to make me tune in.  The writing had become so horrible that I didn't care who ended up with who I just wanted to hear people sing and we were getting less and less of that each episode.  

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:03 PM, Evil Queen said:

UGH First I hear that Castle is ending and then this one. I have lost 3 shows now this season. Thanks Disney for cutting your budget in for everything in the company but your higher ups paychecks/bonuses! Not sure if this is another issue from the #ThanksShanghi but if so UGH!!!!

And this is the reason I rarely invest in a network drama.  I watch HTGAWM, but that's because Shonda Rhimes seems to have carte blanche, and her shows are only cancelled because she wants them to be.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:35 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

You could be right but I kind of figure the opposite-- she threatened the show with another hospitalization, which helped it get cancelled, so she could be free of it.  I mean, she gave birth 18 months ago.  PPD is usually something you deal with in the first 3 months.  

Your information about PPD isn't accurate, but I suspect the show's writers share your sources.  There are varying degrees of PPD, and most women don't have to check into treatment centers, which (IMO) most likely means that Hayden's PPD was on the severe side.  But setting that aside, Hayden is now being labelled as the cause of the show's demise, has interrupted the show's schedule once (and probably twice if it wasn't cancelled), and has gone public with a mental illness that she hasn't been able to shake. 

Who in their right mind would do such damage to their reputation as an actor to get out of a show that was teetering on cancellation already?

• Love 4

I don't think she's gotten a damaged rep as an actor.  She's gotten a lot of press, a lot of sympathy and if she did help put this show out of its misery I applaud her for it.  

1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

But setting that aside, Hayden is now being labelled as the cause of the show's demise, has interrupted the show's schedule once (and probably twice if it wasn't cancelled), and has gone public with a mental illness that she hasn't been able to shake. 

Just read an article on MSN about the show's demise.  According to the article, "Hayden's heart wasn't it", so she asked to be let out to go back to rehab.  They made sure to mention, "the cast doesn't blame her for the cancellation."  But, I wonder. 

(edited)
On 2016-05-13 at 2:59 AM, Telepath said:

... and Clare Bowen being unable to work with her romantic co-star for three years, and Dee Johnson driving every single storyline into the ground, this one is a goner.

Just out of idle curiosity, did you mean unable as in "not provided meaningful opportunity of working with him," or as in "unable to bear working with him"? I'm not up on the scuttlebutt, but I think I'd be disappointed to learn that Bowen and Palladio did not get along to that extent. Or maybe I'm reading more into this comment than there is. It wouldn't be the first time; I, after all, am no telepath. (Hee.)

23 hours ago, slasherboy said:

If it's any consolation to those of you who love Will (such as I do) and want him to be happy, I'll tell you this.  I was a background actor in the recent funeral scene and one of the scenes that got cut (they cut a BUNCH of stuff) showed Kevin sitting with the other mourners.  I know this for a fact because I was sitting right behind him and the make-up person even powdered my face between takes.  I don't know why they cut this out.

So we can all rest assured that Will and Kevin eventually get married, have little Cadences of their own (since he seemed to adore that baby) and live happily ever after next door to me.

Heh. HEAs, and meta-HEAs! I wondered if Will's mother's death might be the means of a moment or two of reconciliation for those two. Reconnecting over the death of a loved one is a common enough device in soaps.

Edited by Sandman
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

... Hayden is now being labelled as the cause of the show's demise, has interrupted the show's schedule once (and probably twice if it wasn't cancelled), and has gone public with a mental illness that she hasn't been able to shake. 

Oh, boy. I hope Panettiere's not catching blame for "going public" about her mental health, nor for being unable to "shake" depression. These are not blameworthy things, any more than revealing a diagnosis of cancer would be. No one expects a leukemia patient to "shake it off."

• Love 24
37 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Oh, boy. I hope Panettiere's not catching blame for "going public" about her mental health, nor for being unable to "shake" depression. These are not blameworthy things, any more than revealing a diagnosis of cancer would be. No one expects a leukemia patient to "shake it off."

The article is titled as if she were the sole cause of the cancellation, but we all know that's not the case. I think it's pretty irresponsible of Yahoo to blame her.

PPD is not just a three month thing. That's all I'll say on that one.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Just out of idle curiosity, did you mean unable as in "not provided meaningful opportunity of working with him," or as in "unable to bear working with him"? I'm not up on the scuttlebutt, but I think I'd be disappointed to learn that Bowen and Palladio did not get along to that extent. Or maybe I'm reading more into this comment than there is. It wouldn't be the first time; I, after all, am no telepath. (Hee.)

You aren't reading more into the comment than there is. Clare Bowen has waged a passive-aggressive twitter hate campaign against S/G for three years. She and Sam got along really well the first year. After that... Not so much.

I can't believe anyone would even suggest that she had anything to do with cancellation. This series has been going down hill, first slowly from last part of season 2, and then full speed down hill starting with season 3 and crashing in season 4. Kind of like that SUV roll over, what was it 3 or 4 roll overs. If there is someone to blame lets start with the people who came up with some of the worst scripts and like some poster posted who is writing these scripts 12 yr olds. Callie was suppose to be the one in charge (this was her so called baby) isn't she the one who's suppose who makes the decision on the story line at the beginning of the season on where she wanted it to go or did she leave all that to Dee who took this series right off the cliff. Did nobody see what was happening or they didn't care. The fans who have stuck with this series for the last 2 1/2 yrs will have a bitter taste questioning themselves getting involved in another series like this again. Me included.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Telepath said:

You aren't reading more into the comment than there is. Clare Bowen has waged a passive-aggressive twitter hate campaign against S/G for three years. She and Sam got along really well the first year. After that... Not so much.

Huh. I did not know this. (Although I'm not sure how much I'd blame her, honestly, for hating the endless back and forth, push-me-pull-you of Scarlett and Gunnar. Maybe she was finding the angst as contrived as we are? That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.) Twitter feels like a pocket universe to me sometimes. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Huh. I did not know this. (Although I'm not sure how much I'd blame her, honestly, for hating the endless back and forth, push-me-pull-you of Scarlett and Gunnar. Maybe she was finding the angst as contrived as we are? That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.) 

Let's just say I wish that was the truth.

She and Sam got along really well the first year. After that... Not so much.

I say this with no actual knowledge of the situation, but that sure sounds like what may have gone wrong with another show ABC just cancelled...

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Soup333 said:

The article is titled as if she were the sole cause of the cancellation, but we all know that's not the case. I think it's pretty irresponsible of Yahoo to blame her.

This is from the article:

"One factor that may have contributed to Nashville coming to an end was the show's budget. "The cost of production to shoot even one episode was so high," the source said. "Everyone is just super bummed."

Do you think that maybe NOT adding 20 new characters that contributed nothing to the show might have helped keep the cost down? Morons

4 hours ago, Telepath said:

Clare Bowen has waged a passive-aggressive twitter hate campaign against S/G for three years. She and Sam got along really well the first year. After that... Not so much.

This is the first I've heard of them not getting along, do you think it's because they were both sick of acting the same "will they/won't they" plot with each other over & over again?

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4
(edited)

Well a source was mentioned (Bowen'd twitter account) but I really can't be bothered to wade through 3 years worth of tweets.

And I don't blame HP at all, but Juliette's absence in the show was felt and I can't help but believe that her potential absence was the final nail in the coffin. 

Both of these would have been overcome with good writing so again, I blame no one but the writers for this cancellation. Man were they bad.

Enough so that I don't care abut backstage shenanigans.

Edited by romantic idiot
Typo.

Aside from the badly wasted potential, the one thing I'm really sad about is that we won't get to go on seeing Lennon and Maisy Stella growing up week by week. They're both such great developing talents, and watching them grow into them in front of our eyes week by week was a treat. Of course, they - especially Maisy - have barely been singing this season.

I believe the story about the budget. The show benefited its first couple of years from tax breaks from the city; if you notice, the last couple of years they've barely used any of the local Nashville stuff (where there was loads in the first two seasons), and I've long suspected it was so they could pick up and move to, say, Austin, which at one stage they talked about doing, or film entirely on stages that could be anywhere. The first season not only had better music, but had interesting scene-bridging music taken from the classics, etc. The last few years, it's just been bland filler. And even when characters do sing they often sing the same songs over again, presumably to save on recording studio time and clearance budgets. I noticed, for example, that when Gunnar and Scarlett were singing If I Didn't Know Better in the elevator, it was, I think, the original recording from the pilot. We don't see people work on their music any more, either; it probably added cost in recording time and so on, too (but remember watching Juliette and Rayna put together "The Wrong Song" all night?) Unfortunately, if you're hoping that the music will provide another revenue stream for the show, reusing the same songs to save on costs is counter-productive.  But I remember reading some time ago that they weren't getting as much revenue from the music as they hoped (despite the showcases, I guess)./

• Love 4
1 hour ago, wendyg said:

I noticed, for example, that when Gunnar and Scarlett were singing If I Didn't Know Better in the elevator, it was, I think, the original recording from the pilot.

Yes, that performance used the original tape, which was really disappointing.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

And I don't blame HP at all, but Juliette's absence in the show was felt and I can't help but believe that her potential absence was the final nail in the coffin. 

Both of these would have been overcome with good writing so again, I blame no one but the writers for this cancellation. Man were they bad.

Absolutely.  With the remaining talent of the cast, Juliette's absence would have been felt but it would not/should not create a void or black hole.  But they writing was horrid and they kept adding in new people who no one cared about.

• Love 3

I never heard any of the Nashville songs on the actual radio, was that intentional/contractual? I feel like if they actually released the songs on the radio it would have helped build an audience.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the only thing that really makes me sad about this is the lost opportunity for Daphne to finally get a chance to come in to her own.  Since Season 1 its been Maddie, Maddie, Maddie because of the paternity stuff  and the teen angst with an added boost of star-fever. I really wanted to see the show focus on Daphne more.   Plus, there's a petty side of me which has even sort of wished for Maddie to crash and burn a'la Avery season 1 and have Daphne actually be the solo star.  I know Maisy is only 12, so that would be a ways off yet... but still.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 6

Was surprised to see #BringBackNashville trended during this episode and got over 74K. I do hope the Lionsgate is able to sell it to another network. Even if they have to regroup and move out of TN. Most of the shots are not really in Nashville anymore anyway, so if it cuts cost I would not mind a filming relocation with just some old stock photos from TN.

I know s4 has been a horrible season for Nashville. But if one thing I learned during this episode filled with a lot of loose ends and random plots/characters, I am not read to say goodbye to the show. There is just too much journey left for so many of the characters. I'm not saying the show has tons of seasons left in it, but I think it has at least one more season's material is there to wrap it up properly. And with the new showrunners, there was so much potential lost. :(

• Love 5
10 hours ago, kismet said:

I know s4 has been a horrible season for Nashville. But if one thing I learned during this episode filled with a lot of loose ends and random plots/characters, I am not read to say goodbye to the show. There is just too much journey left for so many of the characters. I'm not saying the show has tons of seasons left in it, but I think it has at least one more season's material is there to wrap it up properly. And with the new showrunners, there was so much potential lost. :(

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the last 2 episodes.  Feels like we are at an odd place to stop.  For example, are all the feuding couples getting back together over the course of the final 40 minutes?  Do they plan to keep hanging threads in to entice a streaming service?  It seems hard to imaging that some of these talented actors would be willing to keep doing this show.

On 5/13/2016 at 4:50 PM, wonderwoman said:

Over at Slate, Willa Paskin, perfectly sums up my feelings, as I expect those of others, about the show:

"Nashville was always showing glimmers of promise. It was not just a bad show—it was a bad show with a good show lurking inside of it "

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/05/13/nashville_has_been_canceled_and_the_middling_primetime_soap_opera_will_be.html

Thanks for that link.  I like that she said that it had one of the best network pilots ever.  I agree.

• Love 1

My feeling is Rayna and Deacon will be back together with Maddie, Juliette and Avery will reconcile, and Scarlett and Gunnar is the car that's running into a wall.

(edited)
21 hours ago, kismet said:

Was surprised to see #BringBackNashville trended during this episode and got over 74K. I do hope the Lionsgate is able to sell it to another network. Even if they have to regroup and move out of TN. Most of the shots are not really in Nashville anymore anyway, so if it cuts cost I would not mind a filming relocation with just some old stock photos from TN.

The thing that really annoys me is the fact that the new showrunners aren't going to get a chance.  I realize there's a difference between a studio and a network.  Lionsgate probably wanted ABC to know about the change in showrunners, but that information didn't have to be made public unless it was a certainty.  I feel the moment it was announced to the media, ABC essentially committed themselves to giving Nashville some sort of order next year.  I watch a lot of British TV, and I would have been perfectly happy with a 6 or 8 episode "test run" for the new showrunners.  After that, if cancellation is necessary, then so be it.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Lillybee said:

If Nashville can still make me yell at my TV screen, it still is meaningful.

Actually, I think that's called a dysfunctional relationship.

I stopped watching a few weeks ago. Adios, Nashville. You had a lot of promise, but never made use of the tools you had to realize it. Upward and onward!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Ohmo said:

The thing that really annoys me is the fact that the new showrunners aren't going to get a chance.  I realize there's a difference between a studio and a network.  Lionsgate probably wanted ABC to know about the change in showrunners, but that information didn't have to be made public unless it was a certainty.  I feel the moment it was announced to the media, ABC essentially committed themselves to giving Nashville some sort of order next year.  I watch a lot of British TV, and I would have been perfectly happy with a 6 or 8 episode "test run" for the new showrunners.  After that, if cancellation is necessary, then so be it.

I'm pretty sure Lionsgate was the one to make that announcement, not ABC. Lionsgate was pulling out all the stops to save the show, but in the end the vision of the new showrunners, the lack of ratings, the cost of production, and the plans of the new programming unit at ABC just didn't fit. I would have liked to have seen what Nashville was like in their hands and frankly, away from ABC. I'm hoping that someone on cable will pick them up for 10-13 eps and see how it goes. But the newbies would have likely faced the same demands from the network that Callie did - more soap, less real drama.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, madam magpie said:

Actually, I think that's called a dysfunctional relationship.

I stopped watching a few weeks ago. Adios, Nashville. You had a lot of promise, but never made use of the tools you had to realize it. Upward and onward!

Well, that made me chuckle. And it's so, so true.

So where are you going? You should check out Rectify which's set for its final season if you haven't done so.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Telepath said:

Well, that made me chuckle. And it's so, so true.

So where are you going? You should check out Rectify which's set for its final season if you haven't done so.

I haven't heard of that but will check it out! Thanks for the recommendation. Mostly I stick to The Anericans, Game of Theones, and Orpgan Black these days, though I'm behind a season in that one. And I LOVE Madam Secretary.

• Love 1

It should be a rule that when a show is cancelled they get one more season to wrap things up, even if it's a shortened season.  Even if it's a show that was only on one season (I'm looking at you 'The Family').

• Love 2
On 5/14/2016 at 4:40 PM, Sandman said:

Heh. HEAs, and meta-HEAs! I wondered if Will's mother's death might be the means of a moment or two of reconciliation for those two. Reconnecting over the death of a loved one is a common enough device in soaps.

Is "Heh. HEAs, and meta-HEAs" a good thing?  I hope so!

On 5/16/2016 at 1:43 AM, kismet said:

I never heard any of the Nashville songs on the actual radio, was that intentional/contractual? I feel like if they actually released the songs on the radio it would have helped build an audience.

I live in Nashville and WSM plays the Stella Sisters fairly often.  I'd love to hear everybody though, and don't.