Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

Wow she said on today's show that she had to tell Ladd who his cousins were at the wedding. Can you say "social climber"? Mandolia, looking forward to your list! Other people can chime in too!!

• Love 2

I was in WalMart last week and hit the grocery section. Rea's packaged meals were all marked half price. I don't know if the store is dropping the line, but anyway, I bought a couple. The chipotle coated roasted chicken was OK, but the Chicken Cordon Bleu was awful. It looked bad, and the salt content was shocking. If I had read the package, I wouldn't have bought it because of the salt. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2019 at 6:29 PM, Lura said:

Mindthinkr, are you sure you want to give up OK food?  If you do that, you'll have to skip having 7-can soup, and you might never find out how "glorious" it is.

Gosh. Why didn’t your post show up in my notifications? Sorry. I would have responded sooner.  Get it...sooner....OK is known as the Sooner state. Oh well. Bad pun. 

The son grilles and smokes meat well enough that I’ll never have to eat another 7 can anything in my life. 

36 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I was in WalMart last week and hit the grocery section. Rea's packaged meals were all marked half price. I don't know if the store is dropping the line, but anyway, I bought a couple. The chipotle coated roasted chicken was OK, but the Chicken Cordon Bleu was awful. It looked bad, and the salt content was shocking. If I had read the package, I wouldn't have bought it because of the salt. 

I hate all the sodium they put into packaged foods. That’s why I spend so much time cooking from scratch. A normal sodium intake is 1250-1500 mg per day. They’ll sometimes put over 1000 in one serving. Ha, and they wonder why blood pressure is becoming so rampant in America. 

I wonder how long Ree and Ladd will live. I predict him longer because of his active lifestyle. Her, because of the salt, butter and fats much less. 

• Love 1

I don't watch PW - I find her show unwatchable - so Ree being on our TV screen is not something we normally see. However, her ads for her frozen food line show up on FN or CC on occasion. Recently I told my husband to look at her commercial and note her hair color. His reaction was - good grief, give her a red nose and she's ready for Halloween! 🤣 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Ree was on the Today Show this morning promoting her new cookbook. She made shrimp scampi lasagna roll ups and lasagna soup. She wore one of her famous big billowing blouses which hide her figure and that might be a good thing. She said “My new cookbook has lots of fun recipes”. All I see are recycled concoctions. None of which looked particularly new or trend worthy. I think she is hitting her last legs of dreaming new things up. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Ree was on the Today Show this morning promoting her new cookbook. She made shrimp scampi lasagna roll ups and lasagna soup. She wore one of her famous big billowing blouses which hide her figure and that might be a good thing. She said “My new cookbook has lots of fun recipes”. All I see are recycled concoctions. None of which looked particularly new or trend worthy. I think she is hitting her last legs of dreaming new things up. 

A quick google search reveals, unsurprisingly, that PW hasn't exactly reinvented the wheel with the shrimp scampi roll up malarkey.  There are loads of recipes for exactly that very thing, with a few variations, ingredients' wise, of the same theme.   Watching the clip (Lordy me, I wish I hadn't: what a sight) you really would think that Mrs. Drummond had thought of this all on her own and the presenter behaved as if she was witnessing some sort of culinary miracle.

An awful waste of a rather expensive ingredient.  I love shrimp (prawns in the UK!) but never cook them to then add to a sauce that's going to be shoved in the oven.  Overcooked, they go rubbery/tough.  I always have a bag of uncooked peeled large prawns in the freezer, a bit extravagant but I look out for them  being on offer; don't even bother to defrost them, just add to a pan in which I've sautéed a finely diced shallot and a minced/grated clove of garlic, lots of chopped up parsley, glug of white wine and a dollop of crème fraiche, squeeze of lemon juice, s & p and then stir around until the prawns turn pink. Cook dried linguine/whatever pasta I have to hand (unlike Ree, I don't have a million varieties of pasta lurking in a pantry the size of a small house) at the same time as making the sauce, drain pasta & put on the sauce, mix together: voila, an easy and quick supper.  Sometimes I add a bag of baby spinach and let it wilt down before adding the prawns,  and/or a few chopped up sundried tomatoes.  Always a big hit.  

Back to the roll ups, as I strayed off topic!, surely you spread the shrimp mixture along the whole of each lasagne sheet?  Ree put a dollop at one end and then rolled the sheets up.  Which seems a lot of pasta to not much mixture.  Having said that, Ree's shrimp mixture looked less than spreadable!   In any event, lasagne roll ups are not something one meets in the UK.  The first time I'd ever seen them was on PW (using the usual meat sauce one associates with lasagne - think she was doing freezer food for Edna May?) and I actually thought it was a PW invention and really rather clever.  Silly me.  Didn't realise at the time that lasagne roll ups are quite a thing in the States, with lots of variations.  

Edited by Mandolia
  • Love 5

I have the episode called "Chuck and Crew" on in the background.  Please don't ask me why.  This is an episode that illustrates my biggest pet peeve about Ree,  the phony pronunciation.  In this episode, Chuck and the crew are fixing fence or, as our intrepid heroine says it, "fixin' fince".  I know that I have brought up her ever changing accent before, but in this episode she keeps forgetting which version of herself she is trying to be: country girl or suburban business woman.  She keeps forgetting which pronunciation to use, changing from "fince" to "fence" and from "limin bars" to Lemon bars".  Meanwhile, the real cowboys, Ladd and Chuck, who have nothing to prove, call a fence a fence, not a fince.  I am so sorry to keep repeating this point, but it's Ree's phoniness that drives me crazy.  Thank you all for giving me a chance to vent!

• Love 8

I have her Puff Pastry show on. She says that they are relatively inexpensive. Where I come from 2 sheets (1box) costs $4.79. So for her pot pies alone (where she wasted a lot of the sheet as she only cut one top from each sheet) was $9.58. That’s not even including the beef stew. Hence that dinner for 4 was not cheap. Yes, fancy for a dinner party, but I would have gotten 2 pastry tops per sheet. 

Again nothing was made that was new to me. All recycled recipes. 

• Love 3
On 10/28/2019 at 4:32 AM, Mandolia said:

One thing is for sure: PW doesn't "do" improvised/unscripted.

Just trying to imagine if she were a Food Network Star contestant. She'd be booted so early!

She did an entire demo there without mentioning any ingredient except grits and the shrimp.

• Love 2

She has 2 new "instant pots" out that look plastic and cheap that will explode in your face and kill you. And her usual ugly floral design. We did not get even one trick-or-treater today. Probably because of cold and snow. I have a whole bag of candy that I will probably eat within one week.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Mandolia, thank you for the recipe.  I'm copying and pasting it.  Sounds good!  What do you call your recipe?  I've given it the temporary title of "Mandolia's Easy Shrimp Over Pasta,'' but I'll gladly name it whatever you do.  It really does sound delicious and something my husband could easily make now that I can't do any cooking.

Barbarag, you never need to apologize to me for posting about Miss Linguistic's ever-changing accents.  I agree completely and think Ree is a fool for trying so hard to be pretentious.

There's something missing from Ree's hair IMHO.  Since she likes to wear her hair long like a little girl's, how about a big bow?  Better still, you know those crocheted headbands that mothers put around baby girls' heads, usually with a flower attached at the front?  I don't know what they're called.  But wouldn't Ree look insanely funny wearing one of those thingys around her head?  She could TRY to make them match her wild maternity tops and her colored earrings which almost never match.  Well, at least they would serv"e one purpose:  They would hold her hair out of her eyes, saving her tons of money on her ever-present, stiff spray net.

Edited by Lura
aomp
  • Love 3

Oh, how I’ve missed the Ree snark. I have lots of screen time available at the moment while I recover from Piriformis syndrome, which is literally a pain in the ass. 

I’ve been watching episodes of the PW, and I have two comments...

First, I’m still waiting for the crossover with TLC called “My 600 Pound Life on the Prairie,”

Second, can you imagine the amount of flatulence in Drummond household given the amount of beans they consume!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I used to watch this show all the time...I finally realized I would never make any of the dishes she was presenting and she seemed so fake. Now my go to at the time she is on here is Pitt Bulls & Parolees. Those dogs are so sweet (Ree is not) and so deserve a loving home.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2019 at 5:24 AM, txvoodoo said:

Just trying to imagine if she were a Food Network Star contestant. She'd be booted so early!

She did an entire demo there without mentioning any ingredient except grits and the shrimp.

Astonishingly uninstructive,  Which isn't a surprise.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I have her Puff Pastry show on. She says that they are relatively inexpensive. Where I come from 2 sheets (1box) costs $4.79. So for her pot pies alone (where she wasted a lot of the sheet as she only cut one top from each sheet) was $9.58. That’s not even including the beef stew. Hence that dinner for 4 was not cheap. Yes, fancy for a dinner party, but I would have gotten 2 pastry tops per sheet. 

Again nothing was made that was new to me. All recycled recipes. 

One of my irritations (I've not done my list as have been rather unwell and can't seem to focus on more than a few sentences...and I need paragraphs for PW: The Things Which Irritate Me!) is that Ree rhapsodises about something as if she's invented a new and different marvel, when in fact she's doing something that others have done forever and a day.  

• Love 4

Oh, horrors!  Ree on TNFNS!  I can't even imagine her making the cut to actually BE a contestant.  It might be worth watching, though, for her high voice and the criticisms.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lura said:

Mandolia, thank you for the recipe.  I'm copying and pasting it.  Sounds good!

Lura, I do hope you enjoy it; whatever I cook is wildly imprecise about quantities as I do things by instinct rather than following recipes down to the last 1/8th of an ounce of an ingredient. 

I think pasta is a joy/blank canvas as one can make things up/improvise to create something delicious, inexpensive (even using shrimp), quick with very few components.  And it doesn't need to have a gallon cream and/or 3 tonnes of cheese: pasta just with whole cherry tomatoes sautéed in olive oil 'til they get squidgy, some garlic, phaps some torn up basil, s & p  takes moments.

"Less is more" is not part of PW'S repertoire!! 

• Love 4

· 5 hrs ·

There's a new cowboy on the ranch, and his name is...JACKIE JOE! (Say it really fast for maximum impact.) Not only is this one of the best cowboy names ever, but he also happens to be a really cool guy. You’ll get to meet him on a new episode of The Pioneer Woman tomorrow morning, when I make him a take-home dinner of some great cowboy dishes. ALSO, for those of you who love to watch agricultural and heavy equipment shenanigans...let’s just say you’re going to want to tune in for sure. (We take the term “moving house” kinda literally around here.) See you Saturday morning at 10 eastern/9 central!🤠🥘🏠🚜💪

• LOL 2

Oh, swell, "cowboy dishes". As if they are some sort of exotic breed requiring a certain diet.

She's really plumbing the depths at this point if the only selling point is a new hottie on the ranch.  Isn't this supposed to be a cooking show?  Not that it ever was but still...

• Love 6

That all just proves the point that Ree can't carry a show on her own. If you watch "Girl Meets Farm," Molly doesn't have to rely on her husband's farming skills to carry the show. They give the audience just enough of a peek to be intriguing, but the focus is on cooking and entertaining.

I noticed last week when I caught a glimpse of the show in passing that Ladd's on-camera skills have really evolved over the years. I'd watch a show with him and the ranch. (Not that I am a fan, I just find him and the ranching activity more entertaining than Ree.)

• Love 5

If I took a drink each time she said Jackie Joe, I would have been drunk before the first commercial break! It was also about that time that I realized I was more interested in the saga of the house moving than I was in the cooking!

• Love 1

Has anyone heard of Root Beer Float Pie before?  I hadn't.  I love a cool root beer float on a warm summer day, though, so the recipe intrigues me.  I think I'll google it.  The graham cracker crust sounded too sweet to me, but Ree lives for sweets.  Her jalapeno casserole for Big JACKIE Joe nearly turned my stomach.  How could you taste the chicken with all those peppers?  Poor kids.

As the soap opera announcer intones at the end of the show, "Will Ree and her hot dish entice Jackie Joe to tow his love nest even closer to Ree's kitchen door?  And will Ladd even mind?  Stay tuned next week for "The Pioneer Romance."

• Love 1

Just now I saw the re-run "old friends, New friends." She was making "THE BREAD." She said that she and her mother in law "figured it out." I thought it was her mother's "recipie." And that she grew up making it. Just a whole stick of butter on a long French bread. Maybe she made up that "bread" story to entertain the reeple?  Why would she make that mistake?

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

19 hrs ·

It’s CHRISTMAS COOKIE CHALLENGE time again! Sorry to shout, but my gosh, you’re going to love the talented creations this season. All the fun starts tonight on Food Network! (I met some new friends, too.) See you tonight on the teevee!❤️

this is from her facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/thepioneerwoman/photos/a.122869547857/10156983931027858/?type=3&theater

paige dressed as ree for Halloween.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:28 PM, ShoePrincess said:

Oh, how I’ve missed the Ree snark. I have lots of screen time available at the moment while I recover from Piriformis syndrome, which is literally a pain in the ass. 

I’ve been watching episodes of the PW, and I have two comments...

First, I’m still waiting for the crossover with TLC called “My 600 Pound Life on the Prairie,”

Second, can you imagine the amount of flatulence in Drummond household given the amount of beans they consume!

Here is a PSA for the day: If you eat beans all the time they don't affect you like that.  THANK HEAVENS!  I eat beans in some form everyday.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:05 PM, Lura said:

Has anyone heard of Root Beer Float Pie before?  I hadn't.  I love a cool root beer float on a warm summer day, though, so the recipe intrigues me.  I think I'll google it.  The graham cracker crust sounded too sweet to me, but Ree lives for sweets.  Her jalapeno casserole for Big JACKIE Joe nearly turned my stomach.  How could you taste the chicken with all those peppers?  Poor kids.

As the soap opera announcer intones at the end of the show, "Will Ree and her hot dish entice Jackie Joe to tow his love nest even closer to Ree's kitchen door?  And will Ladd even mind?  Stay tuned next week for "The Pioneer Romance."

My beef with that recipe for Jackie Joe was those peppers needed their stem cut off.  They were INSIDE the casserole.  If I stumbled upon a stem I wouldn't like it.

• Love 1

I saw her "grain free" dog treats in the store today. I recently read that dogs need grain, and that an all meat diet was bad for dogs. I guess there are trendy diets for dogs just like people.

19 minutes ago, Dineen said:

I recently read that dogs need grain, and that an all meat diet was bad for dogs.

Far be it from Ree to care about nutrion - for humans OR animals. I'm surprised it doesn't contain jalapenos and gummy bears.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I wish that PeacheslaTour and film noir were both back here.  Hope they'll return.

Have any of you read in any of Ree'sbooks how she actually got her start?  I've never thought it was quite as simple as applying to be on Bobby Flay's show.  I know that she was a marketing major, which must have taught her a lot about selling herself, but what else?  Experience with food?  She doesn't say much about the years in between, does she, except for the births of her children?  Just wondering how kids prepare you for international TV.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lura said:

Have any of you read in any of Ree'sbooks how she actually got her start?  I've never thought it was quite as simple as applying to be on Bobby Flay's show.  I know that she was a marketing major, which must have taught her a lot about selling herself, but what else?  Experience with food?  She doesn't say much about the years in between, does she, except for the births of her children?  Just wondering how kids prepare you for international TV.

She claims that her blog started as a way to keep in touch with her mom, (who we all know lived fairly close by).  Her husband bought expensive ads to promote her online blog. Aggressive self promotion. She has herself on every cover of her magazine, just like Oprah. The height of narcissicm.  I have noticed that the people who promote themselves the most have the least to offer, especially in quality, either in product, services, or personality and character. 

Edited by Dineen
Thought