Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

FN will continue to have her doing these stupid bits as long as her show is on.  After that we'll never see her again.  Fingers crossed that's soon. 

As long as she continues to be one of their highest rated shows, week after week, she's not going anywhere. She obviously has quite a large fan base. The reason escapes me - I find her show unwatchable. I made it through 5 minutes once.

• Love 4

It continues to irk me the way that Ree takes a bite of something and follows it through with that attention-getting hand flourish in the air.  If she's holding a fork, she swings her hand, fork and all, into the air.  She is so put-on, so affected, so weird.  If I were her mother, I'd be tempted to give Ree's hand a swat every time she did it, but maybe Mama does it, too.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lura said:

It continues to irk me the way that Ree takes a bite of something and follows it through with that attention-getting hand flourish in the air.  If she's holding a fork, she swings her hand, fork and all, into the air.  She is so put-on, so affected, so weird.  If I were her mother, I'd be tempted to give Ree's hand a swat every time she did it, but maybe Mama does it, too.

Lura - the conductor's baton waving of a fork or spoon post-mouthful manoeuvre is one of my Major Irritations!  

It SO affected.  

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I love her shows as well as her book (how she got started baking after managing her sister, Sandra Bullock's career) and her old shows are currently rerunning on FN.  She actually knows what she's talking about and gives some really instructive hints.  One a recent rerun she talked about how to know when your choux pastry has cooked enough to take off the heat.  I bet Ree doesn't even know that choux is. 

One of Gesine's recipes, the Chocolate Cream Cake, is a go-to for me when I have company.  Everybody gushes over it.  

Okay, I'll bite. How do you tell when choux is cooked enough?

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Okay, I'll bite. How do you tell when choux is cooked enough?

She said that you cook it in a metal pan and when there is a small amount of film on the bottom of the pan, almost like a fond, it is cooked and ready to be piped or shaped.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

December 16 at 7:37 AM ·

This is happening TONIGHT! The Brady Bunch crew, along with Jasmine Roth and me, deck the Brady house with vintage holiday cheer AND cook a Christmas feast that we all sit down and enjoy together. I’ll withhold my schoolgirl gushing for now because I know that YOU know how much this experience meant to me...and because you’re going to see it written all over my face on the show anyway. This was an absolute dream come true for this seventies child, and the Brady kids were so ❤️❤️❤️. A Very Brady Renovation: Holiday Edition is on HGTV tonight at 10 pm Eastern/9 Central. I think it will take you back, warm your heart, and get you in the mood for Christmas like nothing else!  I missed this. Would be interesting to see how the Brady kids reacted to her. 

17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It gets shiny or looks like satin I believe. It’s been awhile since I made them (I use them for mini strawberry shortcakes). 

That's a great idea! I make mini eclairs and cream puffs a few times a year. It's the easiest pastry in the world to make.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's a great idea! I make mini eclairs and cream puffs a few times a year. It's the easiest pastry in the world to make.

I sometimes do little choux "buns" (one mouthful - not nearly big enough for a PW offering which would be the size of small house, requiring a knife and fork) with a savoury filling...maybe chicken liver pate or a shrimp/spicy mayo mixture or - if I'm feeling extravagant - smoked salmon & crème fraiche flavoured with a bit of horseradish.

Rather good for a drinks/cocktail party.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Yum, Mandolia!  Please give me your home address.  The next time I'm strolling past your house and catch a whiff of one of those fillings, I'll appear on your doorstep with my tongue hanging out.  😊  

• LOL 2
34 minutes ago, Lura said:

Yum, Mandolia!  Please give me your home address.  The next time I'm strolling past your house and catch a whiff of one of those fillings, I'll appear on your doorstep with my tongue hanging out.  😊  

Any time you're in Blighty, Lura, you are more than welcome to not just stroll by but of course come in: advance warning, please...so that I can don a marquee-sized floaty top and fix my face/hair to appropriate PW level of well turned out! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Ree was baking Brie 

I liked that wee rhyme so I ended it there. Actually her Brie bites looked good and she told me a hundred times that she likes them as they taste sooo good. Ree, you say that about everything you make. I can hardly trust you. 

She made a Christmas tree pizza. It looked too doughy for my taste. When she decorated it she used an Italian spice mix on just the trunk of the tree. I guess whoever she’s mad at gets that piece as it didn’t look too appetizing. 

I’m also distracted because her bottom lip keeps getting slightly stuck on her teeth. I never noticed how uneven her smile was before this. You can tell she’s forcing herself to smile and sound cheerful. 

White chocolate peppermint popcorn...no thank you. You can keep that gift.  

Edited by Mindthinkr
Too not to
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I think you've stumbled on the real reason why it's Paige-ee, Todd-ee, Bryce - ee.  She is trying to rhyme her name with theirs!!!

I am no Edward Lear when it comes to "limericks" but here goes...

There once was a girl called Ree

Who was desperate to be on tv

She was granted her wish

By creating a dish

Involving brisket, sprinkles and brie

It needs to be read aloud to get the full effect of the, cough, rhyme, 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

While I do have an irritation of celebrities hawking charities when a paycheck from them would fund the charity on its own, I have a particular ire seeing Ree hawk No Child Hungry. First of all, you know she does not care. I honestly don’t think I’ve seen her do anything charitable that was for people outside family or friends. Secondly, she has millions coming in from the US government for letting wild mustangs roam on the Drummond land. And speaking of, thirdly, the Drummonds are in the top 25 landowners in the country. 

I know it’s basically in the FN contract that their personalities have to do commercials for No Child Hungry, but it really rings hollow having Ree Drummond do it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Automne said:

While I do have an irritation of celebrities hawking charities when a paycheck from them would fund the charity on its own, I have a particular ire seeing Ree hawk No Child Hungry. First of all, you know she does not care. I honestly don’t think I’ve seen her do anything charitable that was for people outside family or friends. Secondly, she has millions coming in from the US government for letting wild mustangs roam on the Drummond land. And speaking of, thirdly, the Drummonds are in the top 25 landowners in the country. 

I know it’s basically in the FN contract that their personalities have to do commercials for No Child Hungry, but it really rings hollow having Ree Drummond do it.

I didn’t know they had that much land...or rather that she married into that much land. I agree that she doesn’t seem to put her money where her mouth is. We never see her behind the paid scenes actually helping a food bank or pantry. She’s as plastic as the Barbie dolls cowboy boots. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I honestly don’t think I’ve seen her do anything charitable that was for people outside family or friends.

Ree pretends to be a good Christian. She makes a big deal about going to church. I wonder how often she goes. Once a month? (I doubt that). Once a year at Christmas or Easter? It is all just talk. Just for show to make her more popular with the middle classes, who will be more likely to buy her stuff. It is all a scam. She probably has no soul. You can see it in her eyes-no real sparkle. The way she reads her lines on her show. When she says "YUM" after eating something it is so flat, yet people still like her. I don't get it. I realize everything on T.V. is faked, but she is more glaringly obvious about it than other shows. 

• Love 4

Bryce put his arms around his sisters and gave them a hug during church this morning. He’s glad to have them home. I can remember praying when they were young that my children would grow up to love each other. I still pray that, by the way. Siblings are a beautiful thing, a shelter through the storms of life, and while I won’t always be able to pray the storms away, I’m so grateful the love is there. (We’ll see how much they love each other when they get home after Christmas shopping together in Tulsa all day, but at least they started the morning off right.😂

Too bad they can't shop for a new mom.

• Love 2

It is with great shame that today I made her glazed carrots. The recipie calls for Jack Daniels, and I had half a bottle, so I used some in what is otherwise a traditional glazed carrot recipie. But I also added a splash of orange juice, a tablespoon of honey, a few tablespoons of maple syrup. It was good. The glaze is so good with the extra sweetness one could add it to other things, I am thinking mashed potatoes. Or chicken. It would have been even better with pineapple added too. Or drizzled over rice? 

Has anyone ever tried making glazed carrots with rum? And the other ingredients, like butter, and brown sugar of course. Add raisins and you have rum raisin carrots. That would be either super good or super weird.

On her most recent Christmas shortcuts show (Santa Hats, etc.), Ree placed cookies around a platter, then reached into a drawer, pulled out those cruddy old plastic children's figures of horses and cowboy things she often uses, and squeezed them in among the cookies.  As if that weren't enough, she reached for the powdered sugar and coated everything, including the toys, in 'snow."  What a mess!  And she was so pleased with herself!  SOMEBODY has to teach this woman the old saying that less is more.

• Love 6

I'm warching Ree make sheet pan roast beef slider sandwiches. Why would she use Sriracha mayo and pepper jack cheese and not Horseradish mayo with Sharp white cheddar then douse the top with butter and red pepper flakes and Worcester sauce?  Gross 😝

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I'm warching Ree make sheet pan roast beef slider sandwiches. Why would she use Sriracha mayo and pepper jack cheese and not Horseradish mayo with Sharp white cheddar then douse the top with butter and red pepper flakes and Worcester sauce?  Gross 😝

Well, there ya go being all logical and everything. YOU would do that; I would do that. Ree? Apparently not so much.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Just watched a genuine loser of a show -- "To the Nth Degree" or some similar name.  Ree had the giggles (or a fake laugh) all the way through it.  The recipes, her own hideous inventions, were WAY over the top, and she seemed to think they were hilarious.  French Toast, Hot Peppers stuffed with her version of Mac and Cheese (mainly Velveeta), Fried Chicken Pizza, and Funnel Cake with sweet and sweeter toppings.  Nauseating.  I wonder whether this show was a payback to people like me who complain that she never knows when to stop.  This choke-a-thon was a waste of 30 minutes and should be pulled from the airwaves.  Don't miss it, but take some BromoSelzer first.

• Love 6

I cannot even believe any of my friends or family would serve those waffle things topped with fruit loops, and others with sprinkles, to adults, or kids. Oh.....and 3 cups of powdered sugar in the glaze. 

Good grief, how old does she thinks her friends are now, let alone her children?

• Love 6

I watched her making those waffles and then serve them to her friends too and thought they were meant for my friends 4 year old. Idiotic.

They show Ree going to sit at the table and give a brief glimpse of her legs/lower body and I was trying to notice if she had lost any weight. My husband told me he read on the internet how she's been working hard for MONTHS losing weight by lowering carbs, I think? When were these episodes filmed? When were the cookie challenges with Duff and Nancy filmed? (was that with them?) Going by what crap she had to taste on the cookie show as well as the sugary (3 cups POWERED SUGAR glaze!) shown here, is she spitting out food when the camera turns away like Giada does? I cannot tell if she is thinner, anyone???

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

They show Ree going to sit at the table and give a brief glimpse of her legs/lower body and I was trying to notice if she had lost any weight. My husband told me he read on the internet how she's been working hard for MONTHS losing weight by lowering carbs, I think?

Ree should stop drinking so much liquor (wine) and go for the non caloric drinks like diet coke etc. It seems like she writes a lot about her love of wine. Wine has a fair amount of calories. It does not look like she has lost weight, although, as people have pointed out here, she is not obese.

Another Ree-ism that I tire of hearing:  She'll get part way through a recipe, glance down at a bowl of batter or salad fixins' drowning in jarred, pickled jalapenos and their juice, and exclaim, "Mmmmm, this looks SO good that I could eat it all myself!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 12/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, Mindthinkr said:

She made a “whirlwind” in the water before dropping the eggs in. No Ree...it’s a whirlpool.

AND she proclaims that this is an "unorthodox method".  What a moron.  People have been doing that for eons.  Google poached eggs and it will turn up 100% of the time.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Nigella Lawson has the best tip for poaching eggs that I have tried. Drain the egg in a tea strainer first, then submerge it into the pot of hot water and let it simmer. It's a messy extra step, yes, but I hate having to try to "round up" (nod to Ree!) the stringy egg white -- yuck. Turns out perfectly every time and no whirlwinds. 

Ree actually presents her method as a "cooking class" on the new FN cooking app. Yes. Really.

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I just completed my annual holiday viewing of Sandra Lee's Kwanzaa cake. And then I started thinking about what Ree could do to out-Sandy Aunt Sandy's abominable cake.

I'm thinking Ree would improve on the original recipe by topping the cinnamon  cocoa frosting with a Sriracha glaze and adding sliced jalapenos, mini-marshmallow, gummy worms, and assorted sprinkles to the random garnishes already on the cake. 

And in case anyone hasn't seen the Sandra Lee original, here you go.

Edited by ShoePrincess
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, ShoePrincess said:

And in case anyone hasn't seen the Sandra Lee original, here you go.

My sister and I have a yearly ritual of watching it together at Christmas.  We laugh every single time!  This is truly a classic.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 12/29/2019 at 8:51 PM, Dineen said:

Ree should stop drinking so much liquor (wine) and go for the non caloric drinks like diet coke etc. It seems like she writes a lot about her love of wine. Wine has a fair amount of calories. It does not look like she has lost weight, although, as people have pointed out here, she is not obese.

Actually, I don't begrudge her the wine (in moderation, of course!) as against gallons of so-called diet drinks...I always think that wine (in moderation!!) is better for you than diet coke (I say this as someone who drinks a LOT of diet coke - caffeine free, in a nod to being vaguely healthy!).  Way more calorific are the weird-and-not-remotely-wonderful cocktails she sometimes throws together which look and sound revolting.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Mandolia said:

I say this as someone who drinks a LOT of die

Mandolia do you have crystal light in England? That is low calorie and no caffiene too. Wine in moderation is fine but the way she goes on and on about how much she loves it...……...hmmmmm. I agree that her cocktails are aweful.  A diet drink is better if you are worried about weight. If she eats in private like her public recipies she should cut the fat! 

6 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

Nigella Lawson has the best tip for poaching eggs that I have tried. Drain the egg in a tea strainer first, then submerge it into the pot of hot water and let it simmer. It's a messy extra step, yes, but I hate having to try to "round up" (nod to Ree!) the stringy egg white -- yuck. Turns out perfectly every time and no whirlwinds. 

Ree actually presents her method as a "cooking class" on the new FN cooking app. Yes. Really.

Another method which a friend swears by and I sometimes use - except I always seem to have a battle when using plastic wrap!

In mug or teacup, place a piece of plastic wrap inside so that it covers the entire inside of the mug and there's an overlap the top.

Crack the egg into the plastic wrap (trying not to break the yolk!!)

Pull the excess plastic wrap together and tie it into a knot, creating an "egg parcel"  (the excess creates a sort of handle for conveying to the pan).  Make the parcel as air-free as possible.

Gently place the "parcel" into a saucepan of boiling water for 4-6 minutes depending on how set you like your eggs.

Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.  Cut the top off the "parcel" and gently slide the egg out onto a plate/a piece of toast/English muffin/whatever.  Et voila, as they say in France, a perfect poached egg without the performance of swirling whirlpools - sorry, whirlwinds in Ree-speak - and escaped stringy white bits. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Just now, Dineen said:

Mandolia do you have crystal light in England? That is low calorie and no caffiene too. Wine in moderation is fine but the way she goes on and on about how much she loves it...……...hmmmmm. I agree that her cocktails are aweful.  A diet drink is better if you are worried about weight. If she eats in private like her public recipies she should cut the fat! 

I've never seen crystal light - just standard diet Coke/caffeine-free.  But maybe it's something that one can get at really big supermarkets in more metropolitan areas.  

To be honest, if the food as shown on her shows is how she and her family really eat all the time, I'm surprised they're not the size of a small country!  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lura said:

Another Ree-ism that I tire of hearing:  She'll get part way through a recipe, glance down at a bowl of batter or salad fixins' drowning in jarred, pickled jalapenos and their juice, and exclaim, "Mmmmm, this looks SO good that I could eat it all myself!"

Yep, you've nailed another of my pet irritations.  It seems more or less everything is an all-time favourite.  

And another irritation: when she's making one of her legendary (in her eyes, anyway) salads of many components - in fact, just about anything which involves a mixing bowl - always, without fail, there's a Ree giggle and little aside to camera of "maybe I should have used a bigger bowl?".  I don't know why I find it so irritating but it REALLY narks me!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Dineen said:

why they don't like Ladd.

It is rude to enter a building and not remove your hat. I didn’t even notice the boots with manure, but that just reeks of his entitlement and his misogyny (thenwoman will clean it up). He never overly bothered me before (I just thought he was curt), but now I’m having a stronger dislike. Isn’t some young girl going to be very impressed when she goes on a date or prom with one of their sons and he don’t have to good manners to take off his hat. We only see the ranch house where they film. I wonder what their real home looks like. 

• Love 3