Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

I admit that I watch this show because I love anything featuring holiday baking and I like Eddie Jackson.

In addition to Ree, what makes the show even worse this year is the Millennial YouTubers and Intagrammers on the judging panel.  They act so superior and condescending. Sometimes, I can barely keep a straight face, as does Eddie. He must be rolling his eyes in triple axels off-camera at the pretentious nonsense. 

FN must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel for judges if that's the best they can do.  

• Love 2

https://www.facebook.com/thepioneerwoman/photos/a.122869547857/10157068576577858/?type=3&theater  This was on her facebook page. I guess she calls him (her son) bender? What kind of a nickname is that? Not normal. I don't understand. Did anyone see the cookie show last night? I went to bed-not worth staying up for.

image.png

I forgot to add the caption to this photo is "Bender, did you know without trigonometry there'd be no engineering?

• LOL 2
On 12/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, Kohola3 said:

Pass,

Pass.  😝

Ree apparently thought it was both interesting and amusing to tell us that when she was younger she hated jalapenos, but now they're one of her favorite foods, as if we couldn't have guessed it.  Wonder if the same holds true for chili powder and cumin.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

• LOL 1

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

2 hrs ·

It has begun. (I just realized that's a line from The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Father Moore says it when the exorcism begins. Oops.) Anyway, every day for the next twelve days! 🤠

image.png.0309c8df8c4e20a21cffe667f22867b9.png

for those who are interested, 12 days of boots.

• LOL 4

Are the boots brand new or are they Ree's worn and discarded pairs? Ewww ... I hate to think of all of the cow dung and other filth they've been exposed (even second-hand is still gross to think about).

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Dineen said:

No, they are brand new. These pair are $475.00. There is a link to the seller. They are kind of gaudy.

Thats all she wearsis gaudy cowboy boots. And flowy caftan tops.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Twelve Days of Boots: Day Two! I'm having fun and hope you are also! (I originally intended for that to be a rhyme but it didn't work, haha.)

These Junk Gypsy boots cost $295.00. 

I am trying to download a picture but I have exceeded the limit.

• LOL 1
On 11/9/2019 at 6:41 AM, Mandolia said:

The striking thing (although not really a surprise) about this snippet/aka ad for Walmart, and all its glories, is how extraordinarily unnatural and uncomfortable Ree seems.  It's as if a random shopper was stopped and asked to do a piece to camera, reading off the autocue.  Rather than an experienced "performer".  So stilted and, honestly, rather strange.   

I am not - absolutely not - going to mention wardrobe choice and hair, other than to say both come under the heading of deeply unflattering.

When I looked ar that, my immediate thought was, that woman needs to spend a week in New York with Stacy, Clinton, Ted, and Carmindy. Especiallt Ted.

• Love 2

Boy, She is up to her old tricks again. Twenty minutes ago I looked at her site, the winner for yesterday's boot giveaway was posted. Then she said, "New giveaway will be posted later today." That is just to get more clicks, to increase her page views, to charge more for her advertisements. I guess not as many people are entering, because so many people enter, the chances are slim, so why bother. I also saw that Walmart online has reduced the price on many of her crookware. The "frontier speckle 24 piece cookware set" is 67% off a drop from last 90 day average. The vintage speckle 24 piece set is down from $160.00 to $119.00. If you look at the ratings, you see a bunch of ratings that are 5 star, super enthusiastic, lots of exclamation marks, that sound like an ad for it, extolling how great it is. Then a few bad ones two and one stars. I believe the bad reviews. I would bet her PR team wrote those glowing reviews. Anyone can write reviews, many of the 5 star reviews would have to be the PR team, Ree's family and friends, and maybe even Ree herself. Or her love bug "He loves me"! with the derriere she loves to plaster all over her website and crookbooks, who is aging prematurely probably due to a probably shrewish/greedy/pushy/grasping wife.

• Love 2

I wasn't aware that another pizza place existed.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, peacheslatour said:

You have to understand. These are formal cowboy boots. You would only wear these to the Opry and the Annual Barn and Horse Hockey Appreciation Society gala.

Peaches, I'm laughing so hard that my stomach aches!  I'd love to attend that gala, but not in boots!  Betcha Ree had blisters for a week from doing that crazy dance with Lover Boy.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I always wondered about this so thought I'd ask.  When Ree opened the new pizza place did the other one that belonged to a local survive?

Do you really think Ree cared about the local pizza place???

• Love 4

I watched a Christmas Cookie Challenge episode last night and Ree looked... odd. Her face seemed really lumpy, and I noticed a distinct lack of close-ups. She is also so pale, which I know it typical for redheads (I think she is a natural ginger even though her current hair color seems to be, um, enhanced), but it makes her look sort of like an alien alongside Eddie Jackson and the human judges. I literally wondered if she is ill.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

She is also so pale, which I know it typical for redheads (I think she is a natural ginger even though her current hair color seems to be, um, enhanced), but it makes her look sort of like an alien alongside Eddie Jackson and the human judges. I literally wondered if she is ill.

I would wager that she gets extra special lighting on her own show.  But when you have a mix of other people I would think they cannot alter things too much so she comes off looking bad since she is naturally pale.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

I watched a Christmas Cookie Challenge episode last night and Ree looked... odd. Her face seemed really lumpy, and I noticed a distinct lack of close-ups. She is also so pale, which I know it typical for redheads (I think she is a natural ginger even though her current hair color seems to be, um, enhanced), but it makes her look sort of like an alien alongside Eddie Jackson and the human judges. I literally wondered if she is ill.

I've always thought her face looked lumpy. And all that black eyeliner makes her eyes look small and piggy.

• Love 8

I confess to never watching "Pioneer Woman" but I do check this Board and laugh at the comments.  Last night I came upon Christmas Cookie Challenge,  I agree with the remarks from above - she looked terrible.  The hair was too red and her face was ashen; she honestly looked horrible.  Because of the hair and face hues, plus the awful eye-makeup, she kind of looked zombie-like.  Since I have never seen her show, I have to wonder if she is sick or was the lighting too harsh?  And yes, her face did look a bit lumpy.  If she is not ill, she should fire her makeup person; who should know how studio lights impact complexions.  Or maybe she does her own makeup.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Kemper said:

If she is not ill, she should fire her makeup person; who should know how studio lights impact complexions.  Or maybe she does her own makeup.  

I've read she insists on doing her own makeup. Big mistake.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I caught the end of one of the older PW shows on my DVR recording of "Girl Meets Farm." Ree had toned down lighter auburn brown hair and softer makeup. Setting the younger age aside, she looked SOooo much more natural and better.

I think that now she's thinks she has an "iconic red" look kind of like Sharon Osbourne. HUGE difference. Sharon's dramatic hue suits her personality, is a proper shade for her skin tone, and her makeup is on point. 

The heavy black eye makeup on Ree just makes her eyes disappear and she desperately needs to add some color to her face with bronzer and blush. Her present look is one that will definitely not age well.

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

I caught the end of one of the older PW shows on my DVR recording of "Girl Meets Farm." Ree had toned down lighter auburn brown hair and softer makeup. Setting the younger age aside, she looked SOooo much more natural and better.

I think that now she's thinks she has an "iconic red" look kind of like Sharon Osbourne. HUGE difference. Sharon's dramatic hue suits her personality, is a proper shade for her skin tone, and her makeup is on point. 

The heavy black eye makeup on Ree just makes her eyes disappear and she desperately needs to add some color to her face with bronzer and blush. Her present look is one that will definitel not age well.

She looks like Elizabeth I after the small pox. They used white lead in a solution of vinegar to cover the scarring.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

After a certain age, and especially earlier for those with light skin and light colored hair (or red) - tone the makeup down.....brown shades, blended. Not black! And a better foundation and makeup tone.

And yes Charlize...some bronzer and blush.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She looks like Elizabeth I after the small pox. They used white lead in a solution of vinegar to cover the scarring.

Oh, shoot!  I was just getting over laughing at the last wisecrack!!!  LOL

If you look at Ree's face on some of her shows, you can see how wrinkled she is becoming.  She needs a change of makeup and/or lighting for that reason as well.  On mostly  the older shows when her hair was brown, she looked worlds better to me.  All of that white, white skin and bright orange long hair make her look freakish.  Add those black eyes, which I think are darkened to balance her larger nose and mouth, add a truly hideous look.  It surprises me that she or her family haven't complained long ago.  Black eyes on Ree don't even make sense with a white face and  orange hair unless you're with the circus.  If the same production company can make BFF Hye and Ina Garten look good, why not Ree?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lura said:

Black eyes on Ree don't even make sense with a white face and  orange hair unless you're with the circus.

Add the rictus and the hideous flowered tops she's the perfect picture of a circus clown.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

https://www.bootbarn.com/junk-gypsy-by-lane-lane-womens-wild-stitch-western-boots---snip-toe/2000279338.html?dwvar_2000279338_color=001#srule=price-high-to-low&sz=48&start=139 

These boots are hideous! And $395.00. I agree with everything said about Ree's appearance. She is looking old. So is Ladd. He has aged so much in the last 10 years. Neither of them gracefully. Ree is pasty and bloated, Ladd is starting to shrivel up like an old prune left out in the sun. On her facebook page I see she has a "pod" coffee maker out. There is nothing this entrepreneur can't think to sell.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Add the rictus and the hideous flowered tops she's the perfect picture of a circus clown.

I always thought her face looked lumpy, if she is using fillers I would think that is making it worse. I agree with the black eye make up is.not good for redhead , i should know i am one and i use blusher and bronzer to make me not look so pale.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2019 at 9:36 AM, Ashforth said:

Her face seemed really lumpy

could that be due to too much botox? or a bad botox injection? or a bad plastic surgeon? most middle aged women are not that lumpy. I noticed the lumpy face too.

• Love 2

She is on the cover of the new Woman's World. Two pages of the usual recipies, creamy mashed potatoes, beef, whiskey glazed carrots, pimento cream cheese roll-ups, peppermint cake.  The magazine says that "things are always hectic on the ranch." Bunk. Their employees do all the work. She has a housekeeper, maids and cleaning services, cowboys. The photo looks airbrushed.  Her face looks a bit thinner than usual. I wonder how much her PR team paid the magazine to get her on the cover?

• Love 1

his morning I was Lutheran, but it doesn’t even matter which service I attend. This little white chapel has a certain knack for reaching inside my soul, heart, mind—not sure which, or maybe it’s all three—and messing me up in a good way. For example, I can’t sit through a 1-hour service here without a (quiet, don’t worry, no one else notices) tear or two escaping my eyes at random moments. Today it was more like six tears, and I had to grab a dang Kleenex. I’m not a big crier, let alone a church crier. So why does this happen? Maybe something broken is getting patched back together (ouch), maybe God knows I need a whisper of reassurance, maybe something else. I don’t know, I don’t get it, and I don’t really have to. 😊  PUKE! BARF!

• Love 1

She is on the cover of the just out January issue of cowboys and Indians magazine. The interviewer was very fawning. Interviewer said that her recipies reminded her of church cookbooks and old family recipies (because that's where she stole them). The interviewer also made mention of her business acumen and "empire." I did not buy the mazagine, as $6.99 is just way too much just to read that drivel. 

• Love 3
On 12/13/2019 at 6:18 PM, Dineen said:

She is on the cover of the new Woman's World. Two pages of the usual recipies, creamy mashed potatoes, beef, whiskey glazed carrots, pimento cream cheese roll-ups, peppermint cake.  The magazine says that "things are always hectic on the ranch." Bunk. Their employees do all the work. She has a housekeeper, maids and cleaning services, cowboys. The photo looks airbrushed.  Her face looks a bit thinner than usual. I wonder how much her PR team paid the magazine to get her on the cover?

Womens world and taste of home is where she should be Shilling her recipes.  

• Love 3

I am so annoyed about how the contestants on the cookie baking challenge show fawn over Ree. Last night, one guy got cut and he said that all he cared about was that "Ree Drummond got to taste one of my cookies." Really? Also, there is always one contestant who has to mention that they are under-baking their cookies because "that's the way Ree likes them."  I am suspecting some PR shenanigans here. This doesn't happen on ANY other baking show and IMO, the other judges are much more qualified (and esteemed) than Ree. If I were on one of those shows, the opinions of Gesine Prado or Maneet or Adam Young (hell, even Jason Smith) would mean so much more to me.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Nicmar said:

Womens world and taste of home is where she should be Shilling her recipes.  

Gun and Ammo would be more appropriate.

4 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

I am so annoyed about how the contestants on the cookie baking challenge show fawn over Ree. Last night, one guy got cut and he said that all he cared about was that "Ree Drummond got to taste one of my cookies." Really? Also, there is always one contestant who has to mention that they are under-baking their cookies because "that's the way Ree likes them."  I am suspecting some PR shenanigans here. This doesn't happen on ANY other baking show and IMO, the other judges are much more qualified (and esteemed) than Ree. If I were on one of those shows, the opinions of Gesine Prado or Maneet or Adam Young (hell, even Jason Smith) would mean so much more to me.

Do any of the other panelists have shows on the FN? There's your answer.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1

I would trust Genine Prado's evaluation over any of the panelists mentioned.  That woman knows baking -- and cooking as well.  Ree is so lame that last season she requested the recipe for one contestant's cookie and made it on her show.  The recipe she cherished so dearly was a cookie containing bacon!  What's next?  Sausage?  Pepperoni?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

True. But I didn't realize that Maneet is also a pastry chef. Had no idea until she was introduced as one of this year's gingerbread challenge judges. On the first episode, I thought she and this year's host, Paige Davis (really?) were going to butt heads, but nothing more since then. Oddly, the next day, I happened on an episode of "Chopped" where some of the judges were partnered with their spouses and were competing. Maneet's husband (also a chef) mentioned she was a trained pastry chef and sure enough, they won with their dessert.  I had no idea. I will add she's not my favorite anything, but at least she brings some cred to the judging table, unlike the recent crop of lame millennial Instagrammers and food bloggers. 

5 hours ago, Lura said:

I would trust Genine Prado's evaluation over any of the panelists mentioned.  That woman knows baking -- and cooking as well.  

I love her shows as well as her book (how she got started baking after managing her sister, Sandra Bullock's career) and her old shows are currently rerunning on FN.  She actually knows what she's talking about and gives some really instructive hints.  One a recent rerun she talked about how to know when your choux pastry has cooked enough to take off the heat.  I bet Ree doesn't even know that choux is. 

One of Gesine's recipes, the Chocolate Cream Cake, is a go-to for me when I have company.  Everybody gushes over it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I love her shows as well as her book (how she got started baking after managing her sister, Sandra Bullock's career) and her old shows are currently rerunning on FN.  She actually knows what she's talking about and gives some really instructive hints.  One a recent rerun she talked about how to know when your choux pastry has cooked enough to take off the heat.  I bet Ree doesn't even know that choux is. 

One of Gesine's recipes, the Chocolate Cream Cake, is a go-to for me when I have company.  Everybody gushes over it.  

I watched a few of Gesine’s reruns today. Unlike Ree she gave really good tips to ensure a perfect bake. Her recipes were also fresh...meaning not someone else’s recycled. Actually I’m beginning to think that Ree is getting complacent and stale. 

• Love 4

In the UK we don't really "do" Christmas cookies but Food Network UK always shows hours of the US Xmas cookie shows and Xmas cake baking/decorating competitions at this time of year.  Which I watch with eye-wide fascination.  They're not necessarily recent shows, but I have glimpsed Ree in her judging role.  Why or why is she chosen to be a judge?  She's not a great cookie baker in terms of doing anything new and different, and her decorating skills are laughable.  But the contestants seem to go weak at the knees when she's introduced as part of the judging panel.  Beyond odd.  The comments she makes are borderline infantile and really don't add anything to the overall critique.  I'd much prefer to be judged by someone who is a genuine expert rather than by a manufactured "name".

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Mandolia said:

I'd much prefer to be judged by someone who is a genuine expert rather than by a manufactured "name".

You hit the nail on the head with manufactured name.

FN will continue to have her doing these stupid bits as long as her show is on.  After that we'll never see her again.  Fingers crossed that's soon. 

And I think the contestants are coached on all of their reactions, otherwise they wouldn't make good viewing.  Kind of like how they pick the most over-the-top contestants on some of the game shows.  Lots of squealing and jumping around gets the attention.

• Love 3