Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Dineen said:

on her facebook page

The striking thing (although not really a surprise) about this snippet/aka ad for Walmart, and all its glories, is how extraordinarily unnatural and uncomfortable Ree seems.  It's as if a random shopper was stopped and asked to do a piece to camera, reading off the autocue.  Rather than an experienced "performer".  So stilted and, honestly, rather strange.   

I am not - absolutely not - going to mention wardrobe choice and hair, other than to say both come under the heading of deeply unflattering.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dineen said:

I have noticed that the people who promote themselves the most have the least to offer, especially in quality, either in product, services, or personality and character. 

Great observation and so true!  Like all of those narcissists on Sister Wives.

• Love 2

I just looked at the tv guide-today's new episode is "meg's getting married."  Ree has another person to exploit. Gotta have new storylines. When Meg has a baby that will be a new separate show. Ree can make elaborate but deeply unhealthy snacks for mom and baby and throw in a few "gifts" that are very expensive.

I am watching food network, just saw a commercial of Ree hawking her frozen appetizers. She says "made from my home recipies, made with a lot of love."  Gee, I thought they were made in a factory.  Does anyone watch Jaques Pepin? Today on his show he will be making Velvet tomato soup and a few other things that look good. He is so talented, a real family man, and he was so handsome when he was younger. My mom used to watch him when I was growing up, salivating, she had a crush on him!

• Love 2

Well I guess , she found out the hard way that all that butter she uses in her recipes... caught up to her... Her SM just did a weight loss story on  Ree..

" Ree Drummond recently debuted a slimmer figure in October, and the Pioneer Woman star wrote on Instagram that it took her "two full seasons" to achieve her goal. "

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ree-drummond-says-low-carb-150000100.html

"Her recent weight loss is attributed to following a low-carb diet. In July 2018, the Food Network star decided to switch up her lifestyle by hopping on the keto train. “Last summer, I kind of dove into the keto world and enjoyed it,” Drummond told People in April. “It was a good exercise"

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

I oddly doubt it given her recipes shown.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2012 I went low carb/high fat/keto and it was a real learning experience!  Very strict with the diet in 6 months lost 50 lbs, and A1c was in the normal range.  Seven years later still in normal ranges for diabetes and maintained the weight loss.

There is no way Ree could be eating the food she shows on her show and be keto!! 

• Love 6

Gramto6, congrats on your weight loss and better health!  I know nothing about Keto, so why do I have a sneaky suspicion that Ree is advertising it for money?  Is it safe to take if you have no medical reason?

Welcome back, peacheslatour!  Great to see you again!  Hope you plan to stick around for a while.  I've missed playing beans!  Many folks here don't know that you almost organized a Ree thread full of baseball hat protesters marching on Pawtuska against Ree!  THAT would been one heck of a field trip! 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Lura said:

Gramto6, congrats on your weight loss and better health!  I know nothing about Keto, so why do I have a sneaky suspicion that Ree is advertising it for money?  Is it safe to take if you have no medical reason?

Keto is a diet plan that is very low carb and restricts sugary fruits and vegetables among other things. The purpose is to raise the ketone levels in the body which help regulate blood sugar and is used in helping to control epilepsy. A side benefit is weight loss. Not to go too far off topic, google keto diet and you can learn a lot about it.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Interesting recipie on her website for homemade applesauce. But no cinnamon, and using lemon juice, and vanilla bean paste. And in an instant pot, to sell more of Ree's product. I cook mine on a stove.  I have never seen vanilla bean paste where I live, theirs was from Trader Joe's. A woman named Bridget wrote the article.  I wonder if it is cold in Oklahoma, it is cold where I am.

I won't bother entering either. I am watching Jerimiah Johnson now, with Robert Redford. Now those people were the real pioneers. Jerimiah Johnson was a REAL MAN.  Ladd seems pussified and a wussie  compared to the frontier men. Ladd has capped teeth, perfectly ironed shirts, and is probably henpecked by Ree. I bet she wears the "pants" in that household!!! I could not imagine Ree as a real pioneer woman, she would not last 5 minutes in the wilderness. Maybe if she traded botox, expensive cookware, and ugly maternity sized tops with the Indians they might help her. 

• LOL 2
On 11/11/2019 at 5:48 PM, Dineen said:

Interesting recipie on her website for homemade applesauce. But no cinnamon, and using lemon juice, and vanilla bean paste. And in an instant pot, to sell more of Ree's product. I cook mine on a stove.  I have never seen vanilla bean paste where I live, theirs was from Trader Joe's. A woman named Bridget wrote the article.  I wonder if it is cold in Oklahoma, it is cold where I am.

I never heard pf putting vanilla bean paste in apple sauce!!!! Maybe it's new.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:17 PM, Nicmar said:

I never heard pf putting vanilla bean paste in apple sauce!!!! Maybe it's new.

It started about 10 years ago. It is a great sweet taste, as long as you have a light hand.

We have switched almost completely to vanilla paste--I still use split beans to long term flavor sugar, and for vodka and flavoring cheap bourbon. 

About a year ago I switched to toothpaste style tubes we get through amazon. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Ree has a gift giving guide of her Walmart crap linked from her facebook page. Everything seems overpriced. Every time I see this woman she has a new top and pair of earrings on. Never something she wore before. Where does she put the massive amounts of jewelry and clothes she owns? I know if you are on TV you have to be presentable, but I wonder how anyone can store so much stuff, even with a second house. Maybe it is just me? If you make the effort to "notice" this you see that she never wears the same jewelry/clothes twice. 

• Love 1

I've been seriously studying Ree's photo at the top of the page -- her straggly hair, her features, etc.  I don't think that any of her family (parents, sister, etc.) resemble her, especially her nose.  Hasn't she told a story about her high school days and running into a plate glass window or door?  I thought maybe that accounted for her flat nose and real teeth.  The trouble with that theory is that three of her kids (except for Todd) have the same nose, so the plate glass incident couldn't have caused it.  I know there are other things more important than noses in this world, but I've always been curious about Ree's.  I guess Ladd liked it if he wanted to wake up to it every morning, or maybe he doesn't wake up until she's fed him, and by then he's out the door.  Hmmm.  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Lura said:

I don't think that any of her family (parents, sister, etc.) resemble her, especially her nose.

I think she has her father's nose. Lura, look at a picture of her dad. At least it looks like it to me. 

• Useful 2

I've given up on my List Of Things Which Really Irritate, as it was becoming a book.  However, I will share one of my Major Irritations:

Ree never, ever tastes anything/checks for seasoning.  I don't mean the abominations of chilli (jalapeno) over chilli (habanero) over chilli (chipotle and a dollop of adobo sauce (plus hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce "for a bit of tang"): I am not anti chilli, indeed I like hot-as-Hades if used correctly, BUT an overload can/will/does ruin everything. 

Her non-checking of seasoning which irritates is for things requiring a little more subtlety: dressings, sauces, etc.  Recently, I saw an episode where PW produced - and this is a lovely thing to have as a drinks' party/cocktail party canape - pieces of grilled chicken breast on skewers with a peanut dip.  Channelling a Thai-ish vibe of "sort of" satay sauce as the dipping element.  At no point did Ree taste the dipping sauce, just chucked in stuff to whiz up in the processor til blended.  Plonked it into a bowl.  Cue the thesaurus-draining raft of words such as wonderful/marvellous/awesome. 

You have to taste things to check and tweak the seasoning: not random ingredients thrown together with supreme confidence it will just work.

I am a competent cook, I even have moments (albeit infrequent!) of being a very good cook, and there is only one rule I follow with almost religious fervour: taste as you go along. You can't just wing it and hope for the best. 

There you are, Excerpt #1 from the List of Irritations!  Of course, it's a show which takes the real out of reality so the irritation level should be ignored.  

•  
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, Mandolia said:

You have to taste things to check and tweak the seasoning: not random ingredients thrown together with supreme confidence it will just work.

I seriously doubt she ever really eats any of her abominations.  I bet her family doesn't either.  It's probably all substitute stuff that is actually edible - and photographs well.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I seriously doubt she ever really eats any of her abominations.  I bet her family doesn't either.  It's probably all substitute stuff that is actually edible - and photographs well.

My bet is that the crew gets it if they can choke it down.

Mandolia, I wholeheartedly agree with you about tasting as you go.  I can't think of any TV cooks who do that, though.  They seem to sample something after it's made and roll their eyes in approval.

• Love 2

Well, see, that's the point.  Everyone listed above is a legitimate food expert.  Ree is a hack who somehow, using clever marketing, plays one on TV but that's as far as it goes.  It's like she is mocking us with her "reach in the cupboard blindfolded" combination of totally unrelated ingredients that she passes off as real recipes.  It's a whole buncha hogwash.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, see, that's the point.  Everyone listed above is a legitimate food expert.  Ree is a hack who somehow, using clever marketing, plays one on TV but that's as far as it goes.  It's like she is mocking us with her "reach in the cupboard blindfolded" combination of totally unrelated ingredients that she passes off as real recipes.  It's a whole buncha hogwash.

Good point well made.  Sums up the PW "ethos" (using that word gives Ree way too much credibility, but I can't think of an alternative) to perfection.  And, sadly, there are those who lap up - figuratively, if not literally! - the abominations as if she's a culinary genius.  

• Love 1

I think it is especially important to taste as you go when one doesn't measure.

But then I dislike when she starts talking like a real cook about low sodium chicken stock because....you know the salt. And then doesn't taste. LOL

• Love 4

Lots of shameless "gift guide" PW products that she is hawking on her facebook page. What else is new? Happy Thanksgiving. What can we be thankful for? That we are not self-obsessed money hungry dishonest narcissicts! I made several pies, including sweet potato pie, and buttermilk pie, hope they turned out. Will make the usual stuff. What is everyone else making?

• Love 4

Who's watching the National Dog Show? Beautiful dogs! The only good thing about Ree is her dogs, they are beautiful, but then all dogs are beautiful.  Is anyone watching QVC? Buy, buy, buy. But we don't need them, we can buy Ree's crap at Walmart.

• Love 1

I bet the jaiapeno stuffed turkey basted with chipotle sauce is in the oven and up next will be mashed potatoes with pound of butter and a quart of cream whipped in and topped with a whole buncha pepper flakes.  Dessert will be served in a giant goblet and filled with layers of pumpkin, crushed cookies. ice cream, sprinkles, gummi turkeys. and a whole buncha whipped cream.

I hope someone is bringing the defibrillator.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Earlier this evening I had the misfortune pleasure of catching part of PW's Thanksgiving shortcuts' episode which prompts me to send good wishes for Thanksgiving to one and all however you may spend the day and whatever you may eat.   

(I felt the show was a particularly made-for-tv bit of nonsense, with Ree pretending it was actually the feast she would serve to her family on the day),

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I bet the jaiapeno stuffed turkey basted with chipotle sauce is in the oven and up next will be mashed potatoes with pound of butter and a quart of cream whipped in and topped with a whole buncha pepper flakes.  Dessert will be served in a giant goblet and filled with layers of pumpkin, crushed cookies. ice cream, sprinkles, gummi turkeys. and a whole buncha whipped cream.

I hope someone is bringing the defibrillator.

With an ice cream trough for the little buckaroos.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Today was the "Ask Ree Holiday Questions".  Did anyone else side-eye when she said one of their traditions was leaving treats for Santa on Xmas eve.  My cable guide said this show was new so I wondered if she was describing old traditions, as her kids are in their teens.  Nope, Ree explained that Todd is 15 and she thinks he'll still help her leave a plate this year.  They had a quick scene showing a decorated Xmas tree and filmed poor Toddy and Ree leaving a plate in front of a fireplace.  Todd looked mortified.    Save that kid(s).

The rest of the show was various "fans" on tape, asking holiday related questions.  One was "what treats are you going to be giving as gifts this year?".  That was such a softball question - who the hell cares what Ree's giving - it was all set up to lead into the next recipe.

One of the recipes was this salad - a bunch of bitter greens like radicchio, orange slices, blueberries, toasted nuts, pomegranate seeds, parmesan cheese sprinkled on it.  She laid it out on a flat ring to resemble a wreath, with the dressing in a bowl in the middle of the wreath.  How you supposed to serve yourself from that thing w/o it sliding all over the place?

I would not touch that frigging apple dessert made with hot cinnamon candies.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

She really doesn't understand flavor profiles does she?

I think she's burned away all of her taste buds.  Although common sense should tell you that parmesan cheese is not welcome with those fruits.  But this fakety-fake "food expert" continues to grab things at random, throw them together and call it a recipe.

• Love 4

My husband and I happened to watch an old rerun together today,  Ree used the word "glorious" 9 times.  "Magical" came in a close second.  This woman is a broken record.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I give your husband props for watching with you @Lura Unless it’s football you know Ladd isn’t watching any television with Ree. 

My husband and I used to watch Ree when she was on at six pm on our market. We had a blast mocking her.

• Love 3

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

49 mins ·

It’s a PROPER TOPPER! And I’m officially weird. But Christmas Cookie Challenge is on @foodnetwork tonight at 10 Eastern/9 Central, and if you can get past my awkward mom jokes, I think you’ll have a jolly good time!🎄See ya tonight!

• Love 1