Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

I missed some of the new episode, "Quick and easy. take 5." I think she fried a torilla bread in oil? That is not quick or easy. It is greasy, fattening, takes longer as you have to clean it up. Not to mention a fire risk. Just buy the tortillas for God's sake. Now they sell healthier versions. Does she ever remind her audience to fry stuff on the back burner so a child does not knock it over and get a burn? I don't ever remembering her saying that.  Now a "midnight snack" to give you nightmares!

On 9/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, Lura said:

I don't consider Ree to be obese.  Sometimes she looks like she's gained a little weight like most of us do, but obese?  Not to my eyes.

I think she has a bad case of middle age spread and one of those poofy belly pouches that some women have that don't go away even with exercise. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I think she has a bad case of middle age spread and one of those poofy belly pouches that some women have that don't go away even with exercise. 

She looks like just about every other woman I know who's 50ish and has had 4 kids.  Personally I appreciate seeing someone who is a cooking celebrity who actually looks like they eat once in awhile.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I snark on Ree with the best of us (Hi, best!) but yeah, she's not obese. She's a middle-aged woman. 

I do judge her clown-colored hair and over-botoxed face.  And her variable accent and misogynistic gendered food choices and crass merchandising with cheap goods.

But she's not obese!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

But she's not obese!

As much as I detest her, I have to agree. The maternity-like tops make her look that way and the camera adds pounds as well. 

It's the rictus face that makes me flinch.

• Love 5

Ok, she is not obese, just chunky. But she is annoying and a fraud. This Saturday she will be doing something with the old Brady Bunch show.

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

18 hrs ·

Where am I? (And more specifically...which room??) 😃 If you don’t know, you probably a) were born after 1985 or b) haven’t been watching “A Very Brady Renovation” on HGTV on Monday nights! (Third episode is on tonight—you will ❤️ it.) Anyway, I got to borrow the house from the Bradys to cook a meal in the newly renovated (but 100% spot on authentic) kitchen...and it was truly one of the best times my born-in-1969 self has ever, ever had. You’ll get to see my wide-eyed excitement (and 70’s food!) this Saturday morning at 10 Eastern on Food Network! (Just look at that dorky-happy smile on my face. I LOVED IT SO MUCH!)

image.thumb.png.f79a44b52d76bd34fdd5deea1ce5958b.png

Oh; NO!!!  Not AGAIN !!!   Do we really have to read copies of Ree's boring blogs in our chats?  If anyone wants to read them, they can easily go to Ree's website,  Not meaning to offend you, Dineen, as I know we all have different tastes, but Ree uses a lot of her blogs for self promotion like this one, trying to get more people to watch her show.  I feel like I'm being forced to read them when they're posted here.  Can't we leave Ree's blog where it belongs?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Lura said:

Oh; NO!!!  Not AGAIN !!!   Do we really have to read copies of Ree's boring blogs in our chats?

ok, I'll try not to, at least not the self promotion ones. oh, wait, but that would be most everything she writes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

And this week PW was #2 in FN ratings. The mind, it boggles.

FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS (September 16-22, 2019)
Source: Showbuzzdaily

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo 18-49 rating in parenthesis)

1--WORST COOKS IN AMERICA (Season Finale)---Sun 9:00PM---1,076,000 (0.29)
2--PIONEER WOMAN---Sat 10:00AM---1,060,000 (0.21)

5 minutes ago, Dineen said:

Sandra Lee and her boyfriend Governor Cuomo are breaking up because their romantic relationship has turned into a deep friendship. That to me is the best reason to stay together-better yet to finally get married. Who better to marry than a good friend? Sandra is still very pretty, it's not like she turned into a 400 pound fishwife. What is wrong with Cuomo? He is stupid.

Sandra Lee has her own forum here. Not sure what Sandra Lee has to do with PW.

Sandra Lee forum

• Love 1

her new Walmart "fall" line is out. Even more ugly than the last. It is on her facebook page. I won't copy and paste that here, as some people object to it.  One person left this comment below her post " Hopefully these are better then of the other measuring cups I've bought....so fragile they crumble when water hits em 🤣" That says it all. Cheap crap at Walmart. 

Also, today's show will be her at the Brady Bunch house. Another gimmick.

• Love 1

she has a post on her facebook where she says she started to CRY when she walked into the Brady Bunch house. If that is true, and I'm not sure that is, then she is a nutcase. It is histrionics put out by a manipulative narcissist who thinks it makes her look good, for some unknown reason. Getting emotional over some dumb 1970's TV sitcom? What do you make of that? I think it is kooky.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

“Oh my Gosh” (8)

Somebody did her shopping because the Brady house had all the foods ready for her cooking adventure. So am I really to believe the tears and OMGs when the camera showed her coming in? How many takes...

Her blouse was too large or she has gained 20 lbs. When she was on the plane she wore some black framed glasses that did her pale coloring and red hair no justice. They accented the fact that her eyebrows IMO are over plucked, Plus I don’t like her light coloring with the heavy black eyeliner. Then she switches to a pair of aviator sun glasses that were too big for her face. Does she have a stylist or a honest friend who can tell her what she looks like on tv? Hyacinth doesn’t count. She’s not much better. Must be a cowboy wife thing. 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Dineen said:

saw 2 brady bunch episodes. avocado green and orange kitchen.  hideous. what is hgtv going to do with this house? everything is so out of date, who would want it? 

Good question....

On 9/28/2019 at 7:33 AM, Dineen said:

If that is true, and I'm not sure that is, then she is a nutcase. It is histrionics put out by a manipulative narcissist who thinks it makes her look good, for some unknown reason. Getting emotional over some dumb 1970's TV sitcom? What do you make of that? I think it is kooky.

I don't know if I would cry but I am enjoying the Brady Bunch reno way more than I expected to - and judging by the ratings and the comments on the forum for it here I'm far from alone.  It evokes a time in my life that is long gone and for which I am more than a little nostalgic I guess.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 6
On 9/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, barbarag said:

I did not even attempt to watch the Brady Bunch episode.  Just the thought of all the emoting and all the girlish giggling that the location would inspire in Ree made me decide to skip it.

Neither did I.  Grow up, woman, and stop acting like an idiot. I bet she screams at boy band concerts, too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Laughing over the clever, negative comments.  They save me from having to watch the show on repeats, and they save me from having to write the same comments that most of you have made!  LOL 

I agree with the comment about Ree's eyebrows.  Where ARE they???  Did she get rid of the brown ones when she "went red" and drew on red ones?  So much fussing with her looks, and she turns out looking better the way she was in the first place.  She looks MUCH better and younger with brown hair IMHO,

• Love 3

She will be on QVC in the Kitchen with David.  From 12 to 3 Sunday. it was filmed a few weeks ago, she says. She claims that she gets nervous on TV. Sure. She will be on the Today show October 22.

Her book tour schedule is also on her website. I'm sure all of you snarkers have already pre-ordered her new crook book. LOL.

Someone suspected a while back that Ree had a person working here on her behalf.  I didn't make any comment at the time, but it didn't seem likely to me.  I'm beginning to wonder though.  Does that seem plausible to anyone else?  She can't use her own kids.  Well, I suppose she could, but I can't imagine Ladd being too happy about that.  She certainly has the money and the desire for more to be able to pay a few people, and she could pay them X number of dollars for every time they posted.  I still think it's a bit of a wild idea -- almost paranoid -- but just wondered what others think. 

• Useful 2

Lura, you may be on to something.  Every once in a while someone complains about the negative quality of this thread.  I am always a little surprised by the intensity of these comments, because I do not see this as a cruel venue.  Most posters here comment on Ree's over the top cooking and on her "aw shucks, I'm just a little old housewife" persona.  The "don't be mean" posts seem to pop up randomly and seem to have nothing to do with an ongoing thread.  So maybe they are planted here by buddies of Ree.  Just a thought.

• Love 6

I don't think people are being "planted" here to defend or say nice things about Ree. I personally know people who like her and her show. I don't understand it, but I know she has a fan base. Otherwise she wouldn't be one of FN's top rated shows.

It's easy enough to know familiar names of folks who post. And it's also easy enough to look at a poster's profile. I don't see anyone posting who would fit in the category of a "plant".

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's easy enough to know familiar names of folks who post. And it's also easy enough to look at a poster's profile. I don't see anyone posting who would fit in the category of a "plant".

Which means if there is a plant they are very good at remaining invisible. I hardly see how any celebrities could find enough ppl to monitor all the SM sites and clean things up or defend their boss. Well...other than Bethenny Frankel, but I won’t go off topic. 

Ree is like a flavor. Either you like her or you don’t. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I can't get too excited over the opening of Ree's new shows, which she seemed to like.  She merely sits there on her deck wearing her favorite gaudy cowboy boots and reads her lines from cue cards, I think.  What's so unique or clever about that?  I'd have been much more attentive if she'd trotted around on her favorite horse (and maybe slid off the saddle) than watching her just sit there in a chair.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Was in Walmart today. Noticed some of her stuff on sale. A big box of pans on sale from $99.00 to $89.00. Wonder if this will continue on through the holiday season-buying this as a Christmas gift.

3 hours ago, Lura said:

I'd have been much more attentive if she'd trotted around on her favorite horse (and maybe slid off the saddle) than watching her just sit there in a chair.

I can get behind that, Lura! One small problem, I thought that Ree is afraid of horses or dislikes riding or something along those lines. Maybe I'm imaging it, but it fits in with her general disdain of all things ranching related -- except the $$$ it reaps. 

• Love 3

Food Network UK viewers have been treated (?) to some  old PW episodes I'd not seen before, perhaps even emanating from Ree's first foray into the world of TV as the children are very young.  Ree is quite, quite different.  Much softer in every respect.  When/how/why did it all change? (she asks, rhetorically!). 

Incidentally, I have compiled a personal list of PW's foibles which really irritate: it has given me an unnecessary degree of snarky pleasure.  

Edited by Mandolia
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, barbarag said:

Would you care to share your list of Ree's irritating foibles so that we can compare and contrast? 

I do agree that her qualities were far less irksome in the earlier years.  She seemed more natural.

I might unleash the List of Irritations!

You're right: "natural" sums up the marked difference in persona. 

(eye on the clock as electric supply in the whole village where I live ("in the middle of nowhere") is going off at 7 while the elec distribution company does a day of scheduled maintenance work to power lines...it's now 6.30 so coffee to be made, toast to be toasted for breakfast and - as it's still as dark as night - a torch to be found!,  No daytime Pioneer Woman for me, today!)

1 hour ago, Dineen said:

If anyone wants to hear a few of my irritations: Dishonest, phony, greedy, condescending towards fans, ugly clothes,  unhealthy food. 

I agree, but would like to add condescending, fake, saccharine and hiding a mean girl under the layers of frosting. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I agree, but would like to add condescending, fake, saccharine and hiding a mean girl under the layers of frostin

I forgot saccharine, the most apt description of her. And anyone that sticky sweet is hiding something. I bet she was a "mean girl" in high school and college. Is there anyone out there, who knew her in high school, who can tell us the truth?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dineen said:

Dishonest, phony, greedy, condescending towards fans, ugly clothes,  unhealthy food. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I agree, but would like to add condescending, fake, saccharine and hiding a mean girl under the layers of frosting. 

You both absolutely nailed it.  A total hack masquerading as someone who knows how to cook and is a total failure at it.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

is a total failure at it.

I don’t know that I would call her a total failure. I have used one or two of her recipes and as long as I tweak them they are ok. I don’t know about everyone in OK, but she seems to cook a lot of what I hear people eat out there. (Son of my beau lived and worked there for 3 years) I’m on a coast. Around here people eat a lot of fish and seafood. Sometimes it’s a matter of what you can get. HOWEVER...do I think that her food is healthy? Absolutely not. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t know about everyone in OK, but she seems to cook a lot of what I hear people eat out there.

Since I avoid tons of fat, sugar, sprinkles. gummy bears, chipotle and other hot spices, I can safely say there isn't one single recipe I'd try.  Guess I'll skip eating in OK.

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Since I avoid tons of fat, sugar, sprinkles. gummy bears, chipotle and other hot spices, I can safely say there isn't one single recipe I'd try.  Guess I'll skip eating in OK.

Lol...you’d do better eating in my town. I try to eat a clean diet and as few prepared foods as possible. That means we spend a lot of time cooking from scratch at night. It’s good bonding time. The payoff is delicious food. 

• Love 3

I think that Ree would be perfectly happy eating sweets all day with one exception -- her beloved cheese.  Even when she makes things that she says are for the kids to have for snacks, they're almost always sweets.  The concept of "healthy snacks" seems foreign to her.  I'm not at all surprised that she opened a sweet shop.

Mandolia, I hope you'll post your list soon.

• Love 2