Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

Watching "The delicious Miss Brown." Good show, good cook. No fake b.s. storylines to entrap the gullible. She is a Gullah, cooking southern and Gullah cooking. Younger than Ree and a better cook.

• Love 2

I just watched a re-run of her making "sweet treats" for the men in her life. She made this fruit loopy rice crispy treat stuff for her older, developmentally challenged (I don't want to say the R word like she did).  That is more for a school child. Even though he is down's syndrome, she could be a little more respectful. He is I think over 50. Maybe some adult food, don't treat him like a 10 year old. What about her other brother? He has never been on. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dineen said:

I just watched a re-run of her making "sweet treats" for the men in her life. She made this fruit loopy rice crispy treat stuff for her older, developmentally challenged (I don't want to say the R word like she did).  That is more for a school child. Even though he is down's syndrome, she could be a little more respectful. He is I think over 50. Maybe some adult food, don't treat him like a 10 year old. What about her other brother? He has never been on. 

I've attempted to make rice crispy treats with other cereals and you can see why Rice Crispies are preferred. Any pre-sweetened cereal is just waaay too sweet with the marshmallows.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've attempted to make rice crispy treats with other cereals and you can see why Rice Crispies are preferred. Any pre-sweetened cereal is just waaay too sweet with the marshmallows.

I believe she added the fruit loops to the regular recipie that had the rice crispies and marshmellows.  

1 hour ago, Dineen said:

I believe she added the fruit loops to the regular recipie that had the rice crispies and marshmellows.

sorry I was wrong. no rice crispies, used the fruit loops. also 2 10 ounce bags of marshmellows. 

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

· 2 hrs ·

Best lips in the world. I’m sorry, but it’s true. I love you, honey. Happy birthday.❤️

She put this over his picture on her facebook page. Again, I tried to upload his picture but a box popped up and said "you are only able to upload so much blah blah blah." Now she is only publically admiring his lips, not his ass, nor his arms. She used to put pictures of his bottom in her crookbooks, with red hearts and words like "swoon" etc in the picture. Very low class!! Or make comments that he has muscular arms (so what really, but not as crass and tacky as his butt). She does appear to be improving in that regard.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dineen said:

· 2 hrs ·

Best lips in the world. I’m sorry, but it’s true. I love you, honey. Happy birthday.❤️

She put this over his picture on her facebook page. Again, I tried to upload his picture but a box popped up and said "you are only able to upload so much blah blah blah." Now she is only publically admiring his lips, not his ass, nor his arms. She used to put pictures of his bottom in her crookbooks, with red hearts and words like "swoon" etc in the picture. Very low class!! Or make comments that he has muscular arms (so what really, but not as crass and tacky as his butt). She does appear to be improving in that regard.

There is a commercial with a smirky little kid who looks into the camera and snots "I don't like vegetables."  You just know that little attitude come from grown men who won't eat vegetables because it's not "manly" enough.

• Love 3

Goodness knows why I watched it but another riveting (not) reeee-peat of PW making and delivering "goodies" to various lucky souls.  This episode included something to do with marshmallows dipped into melted chocolate and then, yes, embellished with sprinkles etc...marshallows on a skewer, shoved arranged decoratively into a block of tinfoil-covered florists foam.  

As usual, the delivery process saw Ree pitching up at the  recipient's front door and handing over the treasure without putting a toe over the threshold which always seems most unnatural (who can forget the "Happy Good Friday" greeting to the Minister and his wife when delivering hot cross buns?!!).  Particularly odd/unnatural in this instance as Ree drove to Bartlesville to deliver a plate of coconut cookies to her step-mother.  A doorstep hug for the camera, gushing gratitude from her step-mother and away Ree drove.  Sooooo contrived.

• Love 6

I can't tell whether Bryce is like his sisters and bleaching his hair blond or whether he only goes for yellow hair in the summers to go with his tan.  Ree and her red/orange/peach/coral/copper hair colors has set quite an example for her offspring.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Lura said:

I can't tell whether Bryce is like his sisters and bleaching his hair blond or whether he only goes for yellow hair in the summers to go with his tan.  Ree and her red/orange/peach/coral/copper hair colors has set quite an example for her offspring.

Whichever it is, that's definitely a bad bleach job.

• Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, peacheslatour said:

Whichever it is, that's definitely a bad bleach job.

Yes, and he is also pasty white just like Ree. I guess she is slathering him with sunscreen. Probably the only positive attention those poor kids get as she is so focused on making huge amounts of money. Money money money for Ree Ree Ree!!!!

• Love 1

Yeah, I’m not wild about Ree, Ree’s cooking, Ree’s awkward stage presence,Ree ad nauseum, but I think her kids are okay and reasonably attractive, whatever hair style or hair color of their choosing. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

I'm not going to begrudge anybody for encouraging her fair-skinned children to use sunblock.

I didn't mean to do that, if that is what you meant. I should be more clear from now on. I meant that probably the only good mothering Ree does is putting sunscreen on her kids. 

• Love 2

I just read an article from Bobby Flay.  DO YOU KNOW HE WENT TO RED-HEADS house for Thanksgiving one year???  What the hell was he thinking.. This is why I don't like the crossover REAL CHEFS/TV CHEFS.  JMO

• Love 1

When you were young like the Drummond brood and wanted a snack after school or whenever, were you allowed to eat cookies, ice cream desserts, and some of the other treats that Ree makes for her kids?   At my house, we were allowed to have about 4 crackers spread with peanut butter but nothing sweet that would ruin our appetites.  I'm always shocked by the snacks.  What did you have, and is Ree too permissive?  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lura said:

What did you have, and is Ree too permissive?  

Mostly fruit or maybe some cheese and crackers.  It wouldn't be so bad for her kids if the rest of her meals were not fat and sugar laden.  She never makes anything remotely healthy.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lura said:

When you were young like the Drummond brood and wanted a snack after school or whenever, were you allowed to eat cookies, ice cream desserts, and some of the other treats that Ree makes for her kids?   At my house, we were allowed to have about 4 crackers spread with peanut butter but nothing sweet that would ruin our appetites.  I'm always shocked by the snacks.  What did you have, and is Ree too permissive?  

I was a weird kid. I would nuke some frozen spinach or corn. Or I would grab a sourdough roll and some cheese.

• Love 2

It's always sugary b-fast, lunch (with dessert), snack, dessert for Ree.....and over the top to boot. And the more over the top the better - caramel, chocolate sauce, foam in a can, sprinkles, nuts, and a cherry on top. Whether in a trough or bowl.

We had cookies growing up on occassion.....even made them. One desserts on occassion and later ice cream when teens. LOL - the person that scooped it in the bowls got last pick. Saved a lot of arguing and angst. And taught us to share evenly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

When I was growing up we were allowed to have whatever we wanted but not within an hour of dinner.  Who knows what Ree actually allows her kids to eat. On her new show this morning making a common salad and calling it a "teenager salad" is stupid, and just plain marketing, like she came up with a new, creative recipie.  It was a typical salad, with corn (if I remember correctly) thrown it. Whoopty-Do!!! Most people do that without fanfare. Who will be making food for the superbowl? Homemade or store bought? Buffalo wings? Potato skins? I usually only half watch the game, but watch the half time show just to see it. Don't forget about the puppy bowl, and the kitten bowl on animal planet. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Dineen said:

Who will be making food for the superbowl?

When my mom died, I used to make snacks for him for the SuperBowl although, honestly, neither of us really cared for it.  He passed away several years ago but in his honor I do the same on this Sunday - some handmade canapes, shrimp, veggies and dip.  That's my SuperBowl Sunday dinner but will be watching PBS instead!

• Love 3

We are making spare ribs to take to a neighborhood party. Others are making chili, wings, dips, cornbread, fruit salad and a few are making desserts, but didn’t mention what kind. I love grazing from all the choices. 

• Love 2

Who will be making food for the superbowl? Homemade or store bought? Buffalo wings? Potato skins? I usually only half watch the game, but watch the half time show just to see it. Don't forget about the puppy bowl, and the kitten bowl on animal planet. 

We will also be watching the Puppy and Kitten Bowls. I'm making chili, onion jalapeno cheese bread, nachos and guacamole. Haven't decided which style of guac to make yet. Also fruit salad.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We will also be watching the Puppy and Kitten Bowls. I'm making chili, onion jalapeno cheese bread, nachos and guacamole. Haven't decided which style of guac to make yet. Also fruit salad.

Are you going to put gummie bears, sprinkles, chocolate on all of it? Extra siracha hot sauce on it too, especially the chili.  You should slather the bread with huge amounts of butter, the more the better. A drizzle of caramel and chocolate over the nachos for the hungry he-man cave man cowboy in your house who has been out with the cattle all day. Do you have any teen-age boys? Drag in some road kill, butcher, then put it on the large $10,000 BBQ grill (the same type Ladd has) and slather with extra sweet BBQ sauce. If you have daughters, they must eat dainty salads so they can fit into their ballet clothes. I am shocked you have opted for the puppy bowl instead of "real" entertainment, which is what real men watch, along with their little 'missus." Y

• LOL 3
On 2/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, Dineen said:

When I was growing up we were allowed to have whatever we wanted but not within an hour of dinner.  Who knows what Ree actually allows her kids to eat. On her new show this morning making a common salad and calling it a "teenager salad" is stupid, and just plain marketing, like she came up with a new, creative recipie.  It was a typical salad, with corn (if I remember correctly) thrown it. Whoopty-Do!!! Most people do that without fanfare. Who will be making food for the superbowl? Homemade or store bought? Buffalo wings? Potato skins? I usually only half watch the game, but watch the half time show just to see it. Don't forget about the puppy bowl, and the kitten bowl on animal planet. 

Usually we (me and my 3 brothers) weren't that hungry when we came home from school.. But Summer?? all bets were off I can tell you some gross things my brothers used to eat after running around all day ..ok i'll tell you... raw hot dogs, liverwurst sandwich with onions and mustard (Jesus, my mother made me that sandwich once for school.. I left it on the bus).  Usually it was fruit or maybe cookies.  I'm laughing thinking about this.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Yesterday at 8:19 AM ·

I'm having a super fun Valentine's Day Giveaway that I've been excited about for awhile: A romantic (or friend-filled, depending on who the winners bring) weekend getaway to Pawhuska, Oklahoma! Each prize includes: Two nights in The Boarding House, a private (and utterly amazing) Valentine's dinner prepared by the chefs at The Merc, shopping at The Pioneer Woman Mercantile, Drummond Lodge tours, Saturday night dinner at P-Town Pizza...it will be a weekend to make memories. ❤️ There are five prize packages, so if you're up for a V-Day adventure, go put your name in the hat! (Please pretty please, only enter if you're certain you can make it to Pawhuska, Oklahoma next weekend, February 14-16, so we can make sure all the prizes are able to be enjoyed!)

On her website she says she will be opening a new store in Pauwhuska this spring, but did not say what type it was. Her mom is moving back to Oklahoma (I wonder with her second husband?) And she is writing a book of weird and wacky family stories, but she can't think of a title. That family is so boring and white bread I can't believe there are any weird and wacky stories. As for a title, how about, "More Lies."

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Heaven help the folks of Pawtuska.  A recent ree-run had its cooking star making more chocolate treats for her 'deserving friends."  The episode should have been called Death by Chocolate.  For the minister, she made a Mississippi Mud Cake which had an ENTIRE BAG of marshmallows poured into it,  She made a chocolate "tart" filled entirely with a simple chocolate ganache that made my teeth ache.  Her choc. cookies contained FIVE kinds of chocolate, and she was so proud of them.  I'd rather be her worst enemy than be in line for one of her treats.

• Love 8
On 2/9/2020 at 2:23 AM, Lura said:

Heaven help the folks of Pawtuska.  A recent ree-run had its cooking star making more chocolate treats for her 'deserving friends."  The episode should have been called Death by Chocolate. 

If I’m going to die by chocolate, it won’t be from eating something made from one of Ree’s concoctions. It will be from eating either Mary Berry or Nigella Lawson’s death by chocolate cake. Unlike Ree, those women know how to bake really good goodies.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, ShoePrincess said:

If I’m going to die by chocolate, it won’t be from eating something made from one of Ree’s concoctions. It will be from eating either Mary Berry or Nigella Lawson’s death by chocolate cake. Unlike Ree, those women know how to bake really good goodies.

I have a recipe by Ina Garten I would put up against any other.

• Love 1

From talk about food to Ree's "horrible" jaw to Katie Lee's pregnancy (not REE but LEE) in a British rag -- Is anyone else confused, or is it just me?  

• Love 6

I've not been watching much tv since January (not quite true: I've been watching stuff on my iPad but I can't get Food Network on it without subscribing and I am NOT doing that!), but I did turned on "proper" television yesterday a.m., wondering what Ree-ness was on offer.

Needless to say, it was a reeeeee-peat of a reeeee-peat, the show where she was doing another test run of dishes to be served at the Merc, this time to be sampled by My Best Friend Hyacinth & Co.  The first time I saw it (and subsequently), I didn't take in exactly how she made her version x 2 of chicken salad.  I was astounded to realise that she adds sugar to both "recipes", brown sug in the herby chick salad and ordinary white sug in the curried chick salad.  And in the curried chick salad, curry powder is used.

I had a slight fit of horror about this, particularly with the curried chick salad!  To get a bit of sweetness, I wouldn't dream of adding sugar.  In any event, curried chick salad is a very British thing (more or less everyone has their own version of Coronation Chicken with shortcuts applied to the original, circa 1953 to celebrate the Queen's coronation - it's a ridiculously lengthy performance to create that version, hence the shortcuts which have developed over time).

Ree adding curry powder is all well and good (I add it to mayo if I'm doing tuna mayo salad/filling for a baked potato just for me) but using it in a dish to serve on a wider scale is most odd, ditto sugar.  It just seems all wrong!

If you don't cook out the curry powder in any quantity - or, indeed, curry paste - it can be extremely "acrid" and really rather unpleasant: zero subtlety to it  (granted, PW doesn't  do subtlety or embrace the concept of "layers of flavour").  The addition of sugar seems potentially horribly grainy, not to mention the wrong sort of sweetness.

Perhaps I'm being rather possessive about something which features over here at practically every summer lunch party one goes to!  The way I make it is putting curry powder OR curry paste into a microwavable dish along with a few spoons of apricot jam, and then zapping it in the m'wave so that the components of the curry powder/paste release and the jam/preserve "melts".  Then stir the mixture into mayo (Helmans or similar, not homemade which has too much character of its own!) before mixing in the cold, cubed chick.  Sometimes I ring the changes and also add some chopped celery and a few grapes (water chestnuts are good, too...the Crunch Factor).  Quantity of curry powder/paste and apricot is a bit trial and error, depending on personal taste and also how many one is preparing the dish for.  

I had forgotten just how strange PW's concoctions can be!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Thought it was interesting on a recent Ree-run thst Ree referred to Hyacinth as ''Cindy," then explained that it  was another Hyacinth nickname since childhood.

Who was more sloshed at Meg's engagement party -- Hye, Ree, Alex or Meg? 

• Love 1
On 3/16/2020 at 6:06 AM, Mandolia said:

I've not been watching much tv since January (not quite true: I've been watching stuff on my iPad but I can't get Food Network on it without subscribing and I am NOT doing that!), but I did turned on "proper" television yesterday a.m., wondering what Ree-ness was on offer.

Needless to say, it was a reeeeee-peat of a reeeee-peat, the show where she was doing another test run of dishes to be served at the Merc, this time to be sampled by My Best Friend Hyacinth & Co.  The first time I saw it (and subsequently), I didn't take in exactly how she made her version x 2 of chicken salad.  I was astounded to realise that she adds sugar to both "recipes", brown sug in the herby chick salad and ordinary white sug in the curried chick salad.  And in the curried chick salad, curry powder is used.

I had a slight fit of horror about this, particularly with the curried chick salad!  To get a bit of sweetness, I wouldn't dream of adding sugar.  In any event, curried chick salad is a very British thing (more or less everyone has their own version of Coronation Chicken with shortcuts applied to the original, circa 1953 to celebrate the Queen's coronation - it's a ridiculously lengthy performance to create that version, hence the shortcuts which have developed over time).

Ree adding curry powder is all well and good (I add it to mayo if I'm doing tuna mayo salad/filling for a baked potato just for me) but using it in a dish to serve on a wider scale is most odd, ditto sugar.  It just seems all wrong!

If you don't cook out the curry powder in any quantity - or, indeed, curry paste - it can be extremely "acrid" and really rather unpleasant: zero subtlety to it  (granted, PW doesn't  do subtlety or embrace the concept of "layers of flavour").  The addition of sugar seems potentially horribly grainy, not to mention the wrong sort of sweetness.

Perhaps I'm being rather possessive about something which features over here at practically every summer lunch party one goes to!  The way I make it is putting curry powder OR curry paste into a microwavable dish along with a few spoons of apricot jam, and then zapping it in the m'wave so that the components of the curry powder/paste release and the jam/preserve "melts".  Then stir the mixture into mayo (Helmans or similar, not homemade which has too much character of its own!) before mixing in the cold, cubed chick.  Sometimes I ring the changes and also add some chopped celery and a few grapes (water chestnuts are good, too...the Crunch Factor).  Quantity of curry powder/paste and apricot is a bit trial and error, depending on personal taste and also how many one is preparing the dish for.  

I had forgotten just how strange PW's concoctions can be!

I make a copycat version of Whole Foods curried chicken salad. Mix in the curry powder with mayo and add a tablespoon or so of Major Grey's mango chutney. To the chicken, add currants and onions (red or green) and toasted almonds. Last time I also added a chopped granny smith apple. The only problem is, I could eat the whole batch! And NO to sugar. 

• Love 2