Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

To those following the saga of the butter dish, your long national nightmare is over! Sorry I haven't had a chance to post until now but after my reply to the email asking me what pattern the plate was, I got an email a few days later apologizing for the confusion and saying the replacement was being Fed Ex'ed to me, and today it arrived in a big box, very well packed. The packing slip says "courtesy replacement service" with Gibsons return address listed as Commerce, CA.

I have to say as much as I've complained about this and the other item from Rees line I purchased, I appreciate that they are reaching out to customers who leave negative reviews on Walmart's website, and are making things right. I wish the quality was better and I don't know whether I would ever buy anything from the line in the future, but they have left me with a much better impression at least of how they treat customers. 

Thanks all for your support! Please resume the snark:) I missed the new episode if there was one Saturday, so please tell me what kind of quesadilla and dessert topped with big hunks of candy were prepared.

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 9

I was in Walmart last week and Ree's stuff was back out in full force.  I noticed that the stupid dog cookie jar now sports a red Santa-type hat. Did it always have that or was that something extra for the holidays?

It seems like I haven't seen her show in ages. Has there been anything new since parlaying puff pastry?

• Love 2

The dog cookie jar didn't have a hat before so must be a new addition. I was in Walmart yesterday and the line has definitely expanded. There are now towels. And I think curtains. And she actually names some of the products "Cowboy"....as in "Cowboy Rustic Salad Bowl" and "Cowboy Rustic Knife and Spatula Set".  Oy vey.

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 2

Yep, I was just on her website and she has moved into all sorts of textiles. She's got tablecloths, napkins, place mats and chair pads. Oh, and now she calls herself "P-Dub". Oh, she's just sooo hip and now. To be fair, her colors and patterns aren't bad, but I will never contribute to the coffers of Vulture Mart.

• Love 3

For a girl raised on a golf course and schooled in L.A., she sure has adapted to the cowboy way of life.  I couldn't do it.  She's not only adapted, but she's made millions adapting.  Feed the cowboys, and come out with shower curtains.  I can imagine outfitting a little boy's bed or bath in a cowboy theme, but I can't see an entire house or a cowboy kitchen.  Who knows?  Maybe being surrounded by cowboys and cattle make your tacos and enchiladas turn out better.

Ree was cooking something or other yesterday on a show I was watching.  She turned that little bottle of red hot sauce upside-down and began shaking it for all it was worth.  She shook it and shook it until I finally cringed and called "STOP!" -- and she didn't!  She must have added 1/4 of a cup before she quit.  I could picture the skin peeling off of everybody's tongues.   

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep, I was just on her website and she has moved into all sorts of textiles. She's got tablecloths, napkins, place mats and chair pads. Oh, and now she calls herself "P-Dub". Oh, she's just sooo hip and now. To be fair, her colors and patterns aren't bad, but I will never contribute to the coffers of Vulture Mart.

What about bandannas in every color of the rainbow?

• Love 4

I know that Ree is her childhood nickname derived from Anne Marie, but every time I see it written, it registers as Roo -- he was Kanga's baby in Winnie The Pooh, pal of Piglet.  Roo made a much better first impression on me when I was 6 than Ree ever has.

• Love 3

I ran across a rerun a few days ago-the church potluck supper where she takes ham slices to take home to Charlie. Really? How about leaving that food for people who might need another good meal at home when they can't cook, live in assisted living or can't afford to buy more food? And who writes that moronic dialogue for her? No one talks like that in real life, Ree. Has she ever watched herself on this show?! Her husband and kids (and other family members) seem so embarrassed to recite their scripted lines. I know they make millions for this crap but have some dignity and pride, Drummonds. I cannot imagine how this show stays on the air, even on  FN. Blech.

• Love 4

I just saw a 16 minute meal episode in which she makes a steak salad. Which first of all is not a recipe. Grill steak. Put on top on salad. But she manages to make it la "recipe" by marinating the meat for 3 minutes ( she does know that was a waste right?) then letting the grilled steak rest for 2 minutes. Tragic. 

• Love 2

I never pay attention to Ree's blogs, but today I read two of them.  Both were really poor.  Two days ago, she started right out with:

Today is my birthday.

Today is my birthday.

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY.

Infantile!  Ree is not so subtly trying to get her birthday marked permanently on the Oklahoma calendar each year.  I'm convinced of it.  Ask Chuck.  He's the only one in the family with any common sense.  He could see through that in a minute.

Then, she has a discourse on Little Ree.  Natch.  It wouldn't be Little Ladd or Four Little Drummonds..  Those titles wouldn't work for an egomaniac.  The book will sell out, and she can build an annex onto the Merc, which will soon become a shopping center, eating up every spare space in town, at which time it will simply be called Ree's.  Do you think I'm kidding???  She may have to take over some of the ranch land in order to build the thing, but she'll have it.

Then the educational part.  Thank you, Ree, for making me think of you every time I hear "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear."  I had it wrong, too, but I fully intend to keep singing HEARTS, whether you like it or not.  She'll probably  make her newfound knowledge part of home schooling this week. 

Judging from the past two shows that are saved on my computer, Ree is on a get-thinner kick.  Take a long walk, and get the camera to yourself.  It's also a fine way to receive 500 pieces of mail insisting that you don't NEED to lose weight.  Those little props to the ego are encouraging offshoots of the job.  I also thought it was effective to pause for a chat at the entrance to the cemetery.  It doesn't hurt to remind people where they might wind up if they don't lose weight.

It's time to end this rant (thanks for putting up with it) and go grill a bunch of nectarines or make a hummus wrap while singing "Deep in the Harp of Texas."

• Love 3
On 1/7/2017 at 5:46 PM, Gam2 said:

I ran across a rerun a few days ago-the church potluck supper where she takes ham slices to take home to Charlie. Really? How about leaving that food for people who might need another good meal at home when they can't cook, live in assisted living or can't afford to buy more food? And who writes that moronic dialogue for her? No one talks like that in real life, Ree. Has she ever watched herself on this show?! Her husband and kids (and other family members) seem so embarrassed to recite their scripted lines. I know they make millions for this crap but have some dignity and pride, Drummonds. I cannot imagine how this show stays on the air, even on  FN. Blech.

I thought the same thing.  Plus, ham is one of the worst possible things you can feed a dog.

Is it really warped that my first reaction to the "Little Ree" series is in drawing a parallel to Gone Girl's "Amazing Amy?"  hahahahaa.

Her new year's show was predictably awful, with yet another back-of-the-Ragu jar version of chicken parm.  (Yawn.)

• Love 3
14 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Her children's books featuring Charlie sell very well. I work in the children's room of a bookstore and these books are specifically asked for. 

That's interesting. It must be moms and grand moms buying them. I wonder if kids are specifically asking for this book. I volunteer in the library of our local elementary school and we have the first book that someone gifted to us. It has never been checked out! When we get new books, we display them in a certain area and usually the kids go crazy grabbing what's new, but alas, no one cares about Charlie. When we weed out books at the end of the term, it will probably be one of the books we take out of circulation.

• Love 2

I'm sorry to read about Charlie.  Pets have a way of becoming part of the family, so he'll be missed by the Drummonds.  Charlie lived a charmed life for a dog, though.  No traffic, no tiny back yard, a world to explore and a big family to love him. 

• Love 9
Just now, ariel said:

Lade uses spurs on his horses?  If so he's a jerk.  Cowboys don't need spurs.

Right? I was shocked when I learned that. I started riding when I was a little kid and even then, I could get the horse to do what I wanted without gouging their ribs.

• Love 3

It seems to me that the FN has been trying to "sell" Ree lately, beginning with the holidays. They're featuring her recipes more and more in prominent spots throughout the site.  Several of her casseroles, more than one Asian stir fry and a pasta dish were highlighted.  I had made one of them, and we thought it was so bad that I threw out the leftovers.  I hate wasting food like that!  I wonder whether Ree's agent is working overtime, or whether the FN is promoting her.

• Love 2

Three of my girlfriends and I drove up from OKC one Friday before Christmas (about 2 hours). We arrived at about 11:00 am. There was already a two hour wait for lunch. We went into the Mercantile. It is huge. The building is beautiful. It really is. I was literally shoulder to shoulder with shoppers. We were in there about an hour and there was a checkout line of 20 to 30 people at all times. The coffee bar and bakery are on the second floor with a large area filled with tables, chairs and sofas. I was trying to think of a way to describe it and I believe the best way is Anthropologie with a western theme.  Her measuring cups, spoons are very similar to that style. Her clothing (mostly tops like she wears)and jewelry area was almost picked clean. She has her dishes there for sale, lots of kitchen stuff, all her cookbooks and some others - Smitten Kitchen, Ina, Chrissy Teigen, to name a few.  The whole back of the building is a wrapping station with custom Pioneer Woman wrapping paper (floral like she uses at the top of her blog).   I noticed an old former hotel building across the street was being gutted and redone. We wondered if she was the owner and was putting in a hotel as well. We missed her by one day. She was evidently there all day Saturday.  Thank God we weren't there then. It was crowded enough.

We went down the street and ate at a local diner which was really good. All the little eating establishments downtown were packed with customers also. They are probably thrilled to get her overflow.

She has a guest book to sign. On the two pages I saw I counted 21 states represented (and England and Australia).

Anyway FYI.

Edited by rocketinu
Addition.
  • Love 16

Rocketinu, thanks so much for being our virtual guide through the Merc!  It was great fun to read about the details and the layout.  It looks like Ree has a winner there.  I was a bit surprised when you used the word "beautiful" for the building, but Ree certainly seemed to spare no expense in turning it into what she wanted.  I'm glad it's successful.  I hate seeing anyone work that hard on a dream and then have it fall short. 

• Love 1
On 1/11/2017 at 5:51 PM, Lura said:

Rocketinu, thanks so much for being our virtual guide through the Merc!  It was great fun to read about the details and the layout.  It looks like Ree has a winner there.  I was a bit surprised when you used the word "beautiful" for the building, but Ree certainly seemed to spare no expense in turning it into what she wanted.  I'm glad it's successful.  I hate seeing anyone work that hard on a dream and then have it fall short. 

I enjoyed reading it too.  I can be as snarky as the next person, but I don't get all the hate directed at Ree here.  Maybe you all know something I don't?  I am sure she has probably done a lot for the town they live in, brought in tourists, etc.  I only watch her show and read her blog sporadically.  If I disliked her I wouldn't watch/read.  I recently read her book about how she and Ladd got together and it was pretty entertaining.  Or maybe I am just easily amused. Just don't understand the resentment.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Just don't understand the resentment.

Speaking only for myself, I hate someone who passes themselves off as an expert of any kind but is really a total hack.  Way too many of her recipes are from those community fundraising cookbooks with a bunch of unrelated crap thrown in.  She has no expertise in combining ingredients or flavors - her go-to MO is to just add something really hot so no one can taste it anyway.  

Plus she is of the mind that "if one is good, two is better" when it comes to layering on loads of fat and sugar.  If I wanted her kind of nutrition I'd eat a Big Mac every day followed by a giant milk shake full of gummy bears, chocolate chips, sprinkles, and smothered in hot fudge sauce.

That Good Old Cowgirl persona is also BS since she comes from the city and a wealthy family.  Altogether a giant fake with seared taste buds and a store full of tawdry made in China crap topped off with the crazy clown smile and Bozo hair.

• Love 12

Cause snark-watching is a real thing. She's annoying as hell, her food and recipes are mostly awful, and her "empire" is built on falsehoods. 

I've tried several of her recipes (at least 7) and none of them has tasted anywhere near good. The textures are awful, the flavors are ick. 

I agree with @Kohola3 about the fat and sugar. It's irresponsible to encourage that. And the sugar is through. the. roof. 

I would love for someone to take away all her bottles of hot sauce, and peppers. 

Her voice IS annoying. Her kids are nowhere as cute or entertaining as she thinks, and honestly, the more she's tried to get them to be so, the worse it gets. 

And truly, the whole premise of her show is so limited. Someone should've realized that. There's only so much you can do in isolation, and she's pushing the limits with her Disnifyed shop in Pawhuska.  

I wonder sometimes if she'd prefer to be in a NY condo.

• Love 10

Anyone else think her extensions make her head look like a penis??  Ugliest extensions I've ever seen. 

Watchinh her her mouth when she talks is annoying and her son has the same ugly mouth. I love to hate her!!!!

• Love 5

She's an unimaginative cook. I've never learned anything from watching her show. I cannot say the same for the likes of Ina Garten, Giada De Laurentiis, Nancy Fuller or even Sainted Aunt Sandy. She should be on Public Access at best. I don't watch her show any more. When she was on in the late afternoon here, DH and I used to watch because she was on after Ina and we always got a laugh at her idiocy. But I won't go out of my way to watch her. I do love the snark here 'cause you guys are funny as hell.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Speaking only for myself, I hate someone who passes themselves off as an expert of any kind but is really a total hack.  Way too many of her recipes are from those community fundraising cookbooks with a bunch of unrelated crap thrown in.  She has no expertise in combining ingredients or flavors - her go-to MO is to just add something really hot so no one can taste it anyway.  

Plus she is of the mind that "if one is good, two is better" when it comes to layering on loads of fat and sugar.  If I wanted her kind of nutrition I'd eat a Big Mac every day followed by a giant milk shake full of gummy bears, chocolate chips, sprinkles, and smothered in hot fudge sauce.

I totally agree!  I am not a fan of hot sauce and it frustrates me how she feels the need to add it to everything!  With the amount she drops in I can't imagine you would be able to taste a lot of the other flavors in the dish.  I would love to see her get thru a show without adding hot sauce/jalapenos/red pepper to a dish.  Her excessive use of it just seems lazy.  I also get grossed out at how much ketchup she uses, and the only way she can ever describe it is that it gives a "nice tang".  Just a pet peeve, she's so repetitive.  

I love chocolate and I definitely have a sweet tooth, but any dish she uses candies on also turns me off, she uses too dang much.  

This is my first post here and as long as I'm getting this off my chest, it bugs me when the camera pans to a close up of her hands picking up ingredients, she's so awkward??  Just uses the tips of her fingers and picks up and drops a few times whatever ingredient she's grabbing at a few times, before finally picking it up and dropping it in the pan or bowl.    

I just started watching her by accident last fall one Saturday morning.  At first I liked her and her recipes (I live alone and am a basic cook since I don't really have anyone to cook for), but once I started watching her show regularly, you really notice the laziness in her cooking and the repetitive phrases she uses.  I hate to say it, but I never understood why people would "hate watch" a show before, now I get it.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, lucygoose said:

I hate to say it, but I never understood why people would "hate watch" a show before, now I get it.  

Thank you.  People have all sorts of idiosyncrasies.  This forum allows us to express it.  And while I don't speak for everyone, I can certainly say that I don't hate her.  I'm fascinated, for some strange reason, by her mediocrity and ability to dazzle so many with virtually no substance.  It endlessly fascinates me as much as Sandra Lee's matching curtains, slow cooker, and cocktails did.  I'm weird.  I own it.

• Love 9

People watch all sorts of shows featuring unsavory characters doing things they'd never do (crime shows, reality shows, talk shows).  That's how I view Ree's show.  It's fascinating . . . how does she get away with so many crimes against cooking? 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

Thank you.  People have all sorts of idiosyncrasies.  This forum allows us to express it.  And while I don't speak for everyone, I can certainly say that I don't hate her.  I'm fascinated, for some strange reason, by her mediocrity and ability to dazzle so many with virtually no substance.  It endlessly fascinates me as much as Sandra Lee's matching curtains, slow cooker, and cocktails did.  I'm weird.  I own it.

Bold mine - you nailed it. That is absolutely it in a nutshell. I don't hate watch, which I do with some shows. I tried to watch, but I find the show so terrible, I switch the channel when it comes on.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 1/14/2017 at 5:07 PM, debbie311 said:

Not sure it's resentment;  to me, that implies bitterness on the part of Ree Snarkers or that we wish we had what she has ("Ladd, you taciturn bastard, you better eat those damn vegetables tossed with pasta OR MAMA REE WON'T PUT ON HER HUNGER GAMES BRA TONIGHT!") When I first found her blog years ago, I liked her initially; and then she called her brother "a r*****" ( saying she had the right, and screw PC politics) and when the cooking show hit the air,  she scrubbed the Pioneer Woman site of all refs to her "r*******" brother. I liked her until she started stealing recipes from community cookbooks and calling them her own. I liked her until she tried passing off her upper middle class childhood spent living by a golf course as some deep fried Down Home shit, her back forty cred after living in a suburb her whole life. I liked her until her cooking demos descended into slathering The Bread with The Butter (and calling it a recipe). I liked her until I found out she'd hired a media company from day one to guide her so-called "Who, l'il ole me?" career, presenting herself as an Accidental Success when she'd been aiming for it all her life. I liked her until I realized she was a down-to-the-bone phony.

And there's also the reality that for people who cook (at whatever level) she's a total charlatan.  Cooking is a deep in the gut thing; it's so tied to memory and love and celebration and loss (what's your go-to food when things go superbly? Do you bake a cake? Make a roast? What about when the wolf is at the door? After the break-up? When your mother died? Sweet or salty, what's the taste you reach for when the edges of your life are fraying or your heart is breaking?) When people step into the kitchen, so many versions of us are in play -- from the ten year old who learned to bake off a pan of cookies by your mother's side, to the college you who routinely threw everything in the fridge together at midnight because you were starving and tired, and the you who made the perfect snack tonight.   It's like our hands cook through time and every identity we've had; they connect us to our previous selves. And imo Ree Drummond  -- while pretending to honor that -- is actually milking it; marketing nostalgia like a cheap, two bit huckster selling magic elixir medicine during the Depression. 

I also thought it was effective to pause for a chat at the entrance to the cemetery.  It doesn't hurt to remind people where they might wind up if they don't lose weight.

Lura, you always make me smile.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 14

Edited by Lura
On 1/16/2017 at 11:38 PM, maggiemae said:

I'm sorry - but chipotle in falafel tahini "sauce?"

I KNOW. It's not like middle eastern cuisine doesn't have its own wealth of hot spices, right?

@film noire - I could just stand and applaud your whole post. Preach.

• Love 4

Ree Drummond is the embodiment of every joke out there people make about white people cuisine, what with the lack of seasoning or misappropriated seasoning. Her spice repertoire is virtually non-existent; it only consists of Tabasco, chipotle, jalapeño, ketchup, barbecue sauce, Lawry's Lemon Pepper, salt, and pepper. She rarely uses herbs, which is frustrating when she's got a veritable herb garden.

She shouldn't even attempt to do Middle Eastern cuisine because 1.) twice now she's insulted it by first not acknowledging falafel's true roots and then adding chipotle to tahini and 2.) she and her fellow Trump-supporters are so scared of the Muslim/Middle Eastern boogeyman that they have no right to try and co-opt their cuisine for their enjoyment and profit. Especially if she's going to bastardize it. If you don't like the people, don't touch the culture.

It's clear she's riding lost. She no longer has a clear schtick because the "city girl thrust into country life" thing has long been thrown by the wayside after it became painfully obvious to everybody and their blind grandmother that her country life is nowhere near so humble. Everybody kind of realizes it's not authentic, not when she and Ladd can afford to continually abuse whole beef tenderloins. Nancy Fuller came in and is doing the rustic farmhouse fresh and simple style of cooking far better and more authentic than Ree is. Mostly because while Nancy is now wealthy from a food purveyor enterprise, she actually is from a long line of farmers and grew up cooking and preserving alongside her mother and grandmothers. Ree doesn't have such humble roots, though she tried to claim as such. She's a terrible host and socially awkward, so she can't go the elegant entertainer route like Ina and Giada. She shouldn't even really try to keep with a Southwest theme because Bobby Flay is still all over FN and we know he has a monopoly over chipotle and as much as I don't like him as a person, I'd eat his food over Ree's.

I've said many a time that she should have gone ham with the Pioneer Woman thing and actually dedicated her show to from-scratch simple cooking, preserving, using what she grows in her garden, using recipes from Ladd's female ranch wife ancestors (I would love to know even the names of my great-great-great grandmothers, let alone have recipes and other artifacts from them), etc. If she was trying to hide the fact that budget isn't a word in the Drummond vocabulary and making trips into town isn't really a big deal, she should have made a better attempt. Like doing a proper show on bulk buying during a bimonthly excursion to the nearest Costco. Making bread at home because with four growing children (two of them boys) plus Ladd and other ranchers constantly around means that buying bread would add up considerably and be something that would need to be bought pretty much every other day. She had a team behind her; why did nobody do any basic research on the lives of ranchers and farmers who aren't millionaires and don't have a small city's worth of acreage?

Edited by Automne
  • Love 14

^^^^This is perfect. I don't know why people like her, it just baffles me. She's sooo fucking phony. Maybe if she dropped the "aw shucks" schtick, took some cooking classes and traveled out of the US, then maybe she could do some videos on YouTube. People love to watch funny YouTube videos of idiots making fools of themselves.

• Love 3

Thank you, Peaches and Film Noire.  :)

I think we're pretty much on to why Ree piles those kids full of candy -- so she can join them.  She admitted on a show a couple of days ago that she loves, loves, loves sweets.  She should have used the word "addicted."  Hasn't she ever heard of tooth decay?   I think she has it all figured out:  having their teeth pulled is cheaper than braces. 

Hasn't Ree ever heard of diabetes?  If she keeps buying the store out of all those bags of candy, she's gonna have to get Paula Deen out there to start a clinic for her family.  If she traded in all that candy, she could finance the finest staff.  I often wonder what Ray, the sweet check-out guy at the market, wonders when Ree approaches with her arms full of candy bags.  I never heard of ANYONE like Ree with a penchant for sweets and health food, candy and falafel balls!  Crazy.

• Love 3