Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

Just started watching the Thanksgiving Live program from a few years back...

- for the appetizers, Sunny Anderson is making chicken empanadas, Aaron Sanchez is making mushroom sopes....and Ree is over there wrapping country club crackers with bacon. WTF.

More to come

• Love 1

Just started watching the Thanksgiving Live program from a few years back...

- for the appetizers, Sunny Anderson is making chicken empanadas, Aaron Sanchez is making mushroom sopes....and Ree is over there wrapping country club crackers with bacon. WTF.

More to come

Ah yes.  The one where Ree is sitting at the Adult-Ed cooking table, chewing on her tongue and focusing intently while wrapping her Townhouse crackers with bacon.  While the others are, you know, making something you might want to eat.  Was this the one where Giada acted like she was hammered?

• Love 1

I was sick with a stomach virus past 24 hours so I watched some of the earlier shows...you know, like season 1-2. Her hair was darker..she seemed less botoxed and less..well a hair bit less pretentious. Watching her newer shows...HD is not her friend..she is so botoxed..my husband said her face above her nose doesn't move lol

• Love 2

I was sick with a stomach virus past 24 hours so I watched some of the earlier shows...you know, like season 1-2. Her hair was darker..she seemed less botoxed and less..well a hair bit less pretentious. Watching her newer shows...HD is not her friend..she is so botoxed..my husband said her face above her nose doesn't move lol

Not to be shallow, lol, but her piggy little eyes, caked with black eye liner aren't helping either.

• Love 3

I was looking at the NY Times best-seller list of 2015 for a book gift today, and when I was finished, I clicked on the cookbook section.  Lo and behold, there was Ree.  She has THREE BOOKS in the TOP TEN category!!!  The #1 book is her "Dinner" cookbook.

Judging from the comments on this board, I wasn't expecting to see any of Ree's books on the list, let alone three!  The lady from Oklahoma has parlayed a blog into a TV show, and now books and cookware!  Those hills around the ranch are paved with gold!  It's amazing to me how far those church cookbooks and Mom's recipes have taken her.

I was looking at the NY Times best-seller list of 2015 for a book gift today, and when I was finished, I clicked on the cookbook section.  Lo and behold, there was Ree.  She has THREE BOOKS in the TOP TEN category!!!  The #1 book is her "Dinner" cookbook.

Judging from the comments on this board, I wasn't expecting to see any of Ree's books on the list, let alone three!  The lady from Oklahoma has parlayed a blog into a TV show, and now books and cookware!  Those hills around the ranch are paved with gold!  It's amazing to me how far those church cookbooks and Mom's recipes have taken her.

Did you happen to see this in the actual NY Times, and if so did they have daggers next to them?  Daggers indicate books which are bought in bulk.

Wouldn't PW be the last show you'd want to watch while laid up with a stomach virus?

• Love 5

LOL, ariel.  That is a choice I would not like to have to make!  Ree's food comes straight from her mother's recipe box (the Mexican section).  It's a lucky break that I love Mexican food. 

On the other hand, I'm allergic to most of Giada's food.  All it takes is about three bites, and I break out into an enormous grin, showing all of my teeth, and can't get rid of it.  Giada's food also makes me incredibly flirty with the opposite sex, and if the UPS man makes a delivery while I'm cooking, there's trouble.  The food makes me want to go to bed with every man who crosses my path!  Also, when is Giada NOT hammered???

I'm safest sticking with Ina's food, which only plays havoc with my cholesterol level and my weight.

• Love 5

I follow Ree on snapchat. Yesterday we were treated to a tutorial on...chickenetti.

You know, if you google chickenetti the first link that appears is a Duggar recipe.  Oooh, Ree's really going to piss of a ton of Duggars if she steals their recipes!

• Love 1

gris gris, the chickenetti recipe I saw was from Anna Duggar, and it contained diced chicken, spaghetti, chicken broth, Velveeta, cream of chicken soup, and a small amount of some vegetable.  Maybe bell pepper?  I was actually kind of impressed that Anna's recipe called for diced chicken and not canned, because I think a lot of Ma Duggar's recipes call for canned chicken.

And good point about Tater Tots.  Have we ever seen Ree use them?  I can't believe she hasn't whipped up a Cowboy T'tot casserole with shredded pork and Velveeta queso dip.  Maybe it's a copyright thing with the Duggars?  They seem to have taken over Tater Tots.  lol.

• Love 1

You know, if you google chickenetti the first link that appears is a Duggar recipe.  Oooh, Ree's really going to piss of a ton of Duggars if she steals their recipes!

Good grief, Ree is now stealing "recipes" from the Duggars?

Edited by ariel

A while ago we had a discussion about Ree's chopping knife.  A real one was way expensive.  I got her Walmart one as a Christmas gift and it works just fine for my purposes.

Well, it's only been a couple of days.  Get back to us in a few months.

I wish she would do something pioneer-y.  Do some canning, pluck a chicken, grow something besides herbs.  Anything.

• Love 5
(edited)

Not a damned thing, I just doubt she knows any.

Except her "black" grandpa ("black"  =  a sun-baked white man, by Ree's own description) who saved her from the dull, boring shame of her privileged country club chilldhood -- heavily tanned lives matter!

My favorite aunt died back in Sept., she was a real piss and vinegar type, a red-hot feminist and utterly fearless tiger woman.

So sorry, Peaches -- your aunt sounds like she had a whole wardrobe of shoes deserving of being filled -- let me get this shoehorn to help:)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1

Peaches, your aunt must be smiling to know that you've picked up the slack with piss and vinegar!  Actually, when it comes to your posts, I'd call it "wit."  Keep on following in her footsteps -- please!  I've smiled so many times over your posts.

• Love 2

Aww, thanks you guys.  I'll let you in on a secret:  In the Young & Restless threads we refer to us former TWoPers as Preverts since ya know, this is Previously TV.   My aunt would have made a great Prevert!  I worked for her for 3 years before she retired, and let me tell you, she could snark like nobodies business.  We had a Planned Parenthood clinic across the street from our office and she used to go over there and troll the shit out of the protesters.  God, she was an awesome woman.

• Love 6

Your aunt sounds fearless, Peaches!  How did she come to get that way?  Was there some defining moment in her life, or was she just made that way?  I wish I'd known her.

• Love 1

Your aunt sounds fearless, Peaches!  How did she come to get that way?  Was there some defining moment in her life, or was she just made that way?  I wish I'd known her.

She had polio when she was a kid and spent months at a time in the hospital, many surgeries, etc.  She was just out of fucks to give.  But she was fierce when it came to anybody she loved.  She did all the things the doctors told her she would never do: Went to college, got married, had two kids, held an executive position and made lots of money.  And here's something just for us- she loved the Pioneer Woman!  Let's just say among her many talents, cooking definitely wasn't one of them.  But by God, that woman could drink.  I wish you could have known her too, she was a gas!

• Love 2

I don't know whether Reader's Digest still has that feature they call "My Most Unforgettable Character" or not, but if so, you ought to write about your aunt, Peaches.  She was so amazing that I'd think the magazine would want to publish it.  What a tribute that would be to your aunt!

It's something to think about.  I could read some of them to get an idea of the general structure and make an outline from that.  Huh, maybe I will, I'd really like to tell people about her.  She was an inspiration to everyone who knew her, for all her salty ways.

Again, thank you for your kind words!

I forced myself to put up with her annoying voice and hate-watch.  Another hay episode, with all the "workers" in the spanking clean shirts (finally in the last shot, they showed some dirt on people).  Despite the fact Ree told us it's hot as hell out, I think I saw sweat on one guy.  The "new" canned ingredient is hominy.  Her favorite ingredient, ketchup, makes its appearance.  The word of the day is "sticky."   Ah, here's something we've never seen her make before--ice cream covered in candy and more candy!!!!!!  

I just don't understand how someone with all her money cannot buy better hair.  Those extensions are ratty as hell.  I guess she figures it makes her look more like the "common folk who cook with ketchup" she's catering to.  Yet she wears her $500 ugly shirts and $5000 boots.  Where did her eyebrows go?  She's an enigma wrapped in a riddle.

Once again, I find myself marveling at someone who can make billions of dollars while appearing so uncomfortable in the kitchen, making slop (each dish has a hundred unnecessary ingredients AND jalapenos!!), and putting on a fake life for the camera, while in reality, she (and the rest of the fam) are running around the country on book tours, doing Walmart ads and hiring people to run all her social media, while hundreds of workers operate the ranch "in the middle of nowhere."

• Love 4

Just had to post this snark here :)

I re-connected yesterday with a dear friend I hadn't seen in many months.  She's a native New Yorker and had, not one, but three different bump-intos with Ree last fall (I guess when she was there for book promotion).  She saw her on Fifth Avenue, at a diner in mid-town and at Saks (really?  Ree Drummond at Saks???)

Anyway, she was with her daughter and what I think her sister and is about as pretentious and obnoxious as we can imagine.  She was walking around Fifth Avenue with nasty cowboy boots, tucked-in mom jeans, and a tent-shirt so patterned, it was nausea inducing---and people noticed (stood out like a sore thumb).   Almost makes me feel a little bad for her.  She spent the entire lunch grandstanding to her party how chic and sophisticated she was brought-up etc. etc.  Nice try.  My girlfriend noted that she was so unkept and sloppy, it was sort of sad listening to her pretend to be a posh city girl "who gave it up for love."   She never lets that rest.  You are what you are….and it's just fine.  She should have booked an appointment with a top hairstylist/colorist, and started there.   Just saying  :)

• Love 4

My girlfriend noted that she was so unkept and sloppy, it was sort of sad listening to her pretend to be a posh city girl "who gave it up for love."   She never lets that rest.

It's the pretense that's so off-putting and the basis for my flaming hatred.  It's sad that people think her bullshit is for real.  The only reason she went around NYC dressed like that was to keep up the fake persona she flaunts in the media and which, sadly, is making her tons of money.  Any REAL self-respecting woman who lives on a ranch would have enough brains to wear something other than shit-kickers when at Saks.  Not to mention when one is brought up "chic and sophisticated," one does not forget how to dress overnight.  Nor can she use lack of funds as an excuse.  Fake, fake, fake.  I bet she doesn't cook one damn thing around the house.  Her minions scout the net for crappy recipes they think will appeal to Ree's crazed "down home" fans, and Ree pretends to cook for the camera.

• Love 4

Where did her eyebrows go?

Aw, be kind:  you'll find that a lot of women who were in their twenties in the 1980 plucked the hell out of their eyebrows and now that they're close to or in their fifties, they won't grow back.

I'm just SO relieved she gave instructions on how to serve that "ice cream cake".  You made it in a plastic wrap lined pan so where would I be without her to let me know to take it out of the pan and remove the plastic wrap?  Phew!

• Love 1

Ree mentioned a couple of times in that ice cream cake episode that it was warm that day or that it was hot outside.  What she didn't mention was, as she hauled her cargo into her truck, how she was planning on getting that cake to its destination without it melting.  She has that flimsy little cooler for just those occasions, but I doubt it keeps her food warm or cool for very long.  I had visions of ice cream soup, but then I remembered that this was television.

PW was on in the background this AM because FN runs it pretty much 24/7. It was an episode where "the boys" are at football camp and the wimmenfolk are home making 125 (!) sandwiches, individual baggies of fruit, and who knows what all else to take to all the campers. It reminded me that one of the things I find most heinous about this show (and there is lots of competition, from her inedible food to her incredible pretension to her rodent-y features...) is the gender politics. I am the cook in our house but that is because I love it and am good at it. I don't preach that my husband is incapable of making cinnamon toast, as I've also seen her do. Holy 1950s gender roles, batman. Ree makes my teeth grind.

• Love 6

I hate to admit that my other guilty pleasure is "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and I'd pay good money to see Ree meet up with Lisa Vanderpump.

I can see it now...Ree showing up with a bottle or two of Veuve-Clicquot and promptly opening a bottle of generic 7-up and slapping some fruit mixture in it.....Cowgirl Champagne!

Lisa would be dying...dead.on.the.floor.

Edited by autumnh
  • Love 3

I hate to admit that my other guilty pleasure is "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and I'd pay good money to see Ree meet up with Lisa Vanderpump.

All it would take would be one withering side eye from Lisa Vanderpump.  I'm in.

• Love 2

I KNEW IT!  I see that Ree is coming out with a line of kitchen linens, like checked tablecloths and such. 

Just for some "entertainment," I checked out her website last night.  She and the family have been skiing in Colorado, and Ree is taking skiing lessons.  I wonder whether she and the family stopped by the ice cream place (in the winter?) where they like buying those ice cream cones with the cones lined in chocolate.  I admit to enjoying her picture of the ranch all covered in snow.  It looked pretty and so different from the way we see it on the show.

• Love 1

I've been wondering who Ree is like, her mother or her father, and I think it's her dad.  On the Thanksgiving show, when both Ladd's family and Ree's dad and his wife were all at the table, Ree said that her dad and Chuck were fraternity brothers in college.  I could hardly envision Chuck and Ree's dad in the same group! 

Ree's dad seems like a nice man, but he seems a little bit "prissy" to me, for lack of a better word.  He's always smiling with his dimple, always pleasant, etc., a lot like Ree is, and she makes no bones about adoring him.  I barely remember her mother except from one visit, and she didn't say much, but she was likeable.  I got the feeling that Ree's sister was much more like her mother than Ree was.

A lot of Ree's talk about things being "glorious" and "divine" seem like things her dad would say, not her mother.  Does anyone else see a connection between Ree and one of her parents, and if so, which one?  Maybe it's just my imagination.  Thanks!  :)

Edited by Lura
If it's true that Chuck and Ree's dad are fraternity brothers, how the hell did she not know who Ladd was. That she was introduced to him or met him in a bar somewhere

I doubt very much that Ree and Ladd were even born when their dads were in college.

• Love 1