Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Qoass said:

This weekend I saw an episode of Trisha's Southern Kitchen with Ree as the guest.  They made chicken fried steak and mac and cheese with a chocolate pie for dessert.  I think it's great that she's branching out.  /end sarcasm.

Oh, that was a good one.  In terms of cooking, it's kind of like the blind leading the blind.  (Thank goodness Trisha has that other highly bankable talent of hers to fall back on.  lol) 

I was hoping Ree would reflect some of Trisha's natural warmth and, well, charm, but that didn't quite happen.  Ree truly is dull as dirt.

• Love 8
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, anneofcleves said:

I was hoping Ree would reflect some of Trisha's natural warmth and, well, charm, but that didn't quite happen.  Ree truly is dull as dirt.

It's only a hunch, but I'll bet if we spent five minutes with Ree's sweet, dimpled father, with everybody being so polite and formal and complimentary and blessed, we wouldn't be a barrel of laughs either.  Then, too, if everyone isn't in hysterical fits of giggles with Trish, the show is deemed a failure.  Ree and Trish are like a pair of mismatched boots.

• Love 1

The Pioneer Woman  Top Ten

1. Then I just...

2.  I cannot wait to taste...

3.  They're gonna love...

4. Add a buncha...

5.  I'm so excited...

6. Di.  Vine.

7. a can of...

8. Wow

9. (son/daughter's name) + y

10. Scrumptious

• Love 6
On 10/3/2016 at 6:04 AM, Qoass said:

The Pioneer Woman  Top Ten

1. Then I just...

2.  I cannot wait to taste...

3.  They're gonna love...

4. Add a buncha...

5.  I'm so excited...

6. Di.  Vine.

7. a can of...

8. Wow

9. (son/daughter's name) + y

10. Scrumptious

11.  Because I can..

• Love 2

Sorry, this is kind of snark talk, but it's not about Ree-diculous. I know some old Semi-Ho fans are here, so here is my entry from the SH forum:

Hey, did anybody catch Aunt Sandy's new Halloween show? FN snuck it in at a really odd time, but I recorded it. It was just a compilation of the "best of" Semi-Ho Halloween shows (costumes, tablescapes, etc.) Present-day Sandy was the host and it was pretty well-done. Wow! I had no idea how much effort went into some of those get-ups. She also, for some reason, added that clip we always made fun of where she (as a French maid) asked Tyler Florence (Frankenstein) if "she made him nervous." It was a good show and kind of poking fun at herself in some places.  Actually, I think the whole idea was as a promo to SL being a judge on the Halloween baking show. I'm just happy that she's feeling good and healthy again and back on TV! Cheers to Aunt Sandy!

• Love 8

I like the show.  I live in dairy farm country and the ranching stuff is interesting in contrast.  We do make a lot of roasts and casseroles, which is pretty much the highlight of her cooking.  I especially enjoy the cooking ahead, freezer cooking, bulk buying episodes, not so much for her recipes as the various ideas.  Ree-Ree does makes me giggle quite a bit which adds to the entertainment value.  

My favorite moment, however, was during that "meal kit?" episode, where Bryce picked up the prepared super special salad dressing and dumped the entire amount into the small salad that Paige was mixing!  That kid is gently showing he's over with the command performance aspect of the show.  Film him working the ranch or being a jock, but enough in the kitchen stuff.  

• Love 1

I've been an occasional watcher of PW, mainly fascinated by how uncomfortable she is on camera and wondering how her brand of pedestrian cooking earned a spot on FN. I noted Tues. that her mask slipped briefly when she posted her support for Trump on her Instagram, and then quickly deleted it. Her fan base, no doubt, experienced spontaneous orgasms in solidarity. 

• Love 6
On 11/10/2016 at 10:48 PM, booklvr said:

I've been an occasional watcher of PW, mainly fascinated by how uncomfortable she is on camera and wondering how her brand of pedestrian cooking earned a spot on FN. I noted Tues. that her mask slipped briefly when she posted her support for Trump on her Instagram, and then quickly deleted it. Her fan base, no doubt, experienced spontaneous orgasms in solidarity. 

Food Network eliminated pretty much all of the actual chefs from their lineup going on 10 years ago.  They want big personalities for competitions, celebrities, and/or people who have a brand already established.  I'm honestly surprised Bobby Flay is still around.

I only watch a few FN shows now, and that's largely because of the connection I had with TWoP and, now, here.  If I want to watch a real cooking show I'm looking at PBS, watching documentaries, or reading blogs and sites of people who can manage cooking something more complicated than baked ziti.

I'm also surprised Ree would make a rookie mistake of being so obvious about her political support of Trump (or any candidate she may have supported).  Someone who has her back was wise to have her take that down.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

She's a Trump supporter?

I'll go on the record and say that I did not vote for Trump and am not saying this from any sort of politically defensive position, but why would it surprise you that Ree would support Trump?  Almost 50% of the country did, and Oklahoma has been a red state in presidential elections since 1968.

Being surprised by her ability to become the the reigning Queen of Food Network with the cooking skills of a skilled 5th grader?  That's the eternal source of wonder for me.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 9

I wasn't fazed by that either. Just as anneofcleves pointed out, her fan base certainly falls into the demographic that supported Trump, as well as OK being a staunch Republican state.  I'm not political analyst, but have been doing a lot of post-election research. While more women overall, voted for Clinton, there was a good percentage who, on paper, appeared to be her supports, but they ultimately chose Trump because they held the "traditional" values of "standing by their man" whether it was a husband, father, etc.  (The menfolk don't like green stuff for dinner ...) Obviously, you have to take what you read regarding the presidential election epic fail post-mortem with a grain of salt, but that made sense to me.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

I'm also surprised Ree would make a rookie mistake of being so obvious about her political support of Trump (or any candidate she may have supported).  Someone who has her back was wise to have her take that down.

A lot of celebrities showed who they were supporting.  Why would it be a mistake for Ree to as well?  

I am thrilled to hear that Ree supported our President-Elect.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Automne said:

I am completely not shocked that she supports Trump. She has all the markers. Not to mention all her ignorant posts in the early days of her blog.

It will probably help Ree's 'brand' with the basket of deplorables.    It's a good thing for her that the Merc is not on the east or west coast.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Because she is not a movie star or a musician. She is a retail commodity and she just deleted half of her consumer pool. It's a stupid business decision and will likely cost her millions.

From your lips to god's ears.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Because she is not a movie star or a musician. She is a retail commodity and she just deleted half of her consumer pool. It's a stupid business decision and will likely cost her millions.

That is just silly IMO.  I mean, I don't boycott Beyonce and Jay-Z because of their political leanings, but because their "music" is not my cup of tea.

11 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

I don't boycott Beyonce and Jay-Z because of their political leanings, but because their "music" is not my cup of tea.

The last I checked, Beyoncé & Jay-Z aren't selling tea at a store they named the Merc.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

That is just silly IMO.  I mean, I don't boycott Beyonce and Jay-Z because of their political leanings, but because their "music" is not my cup of tea.

It's still a stupid thing for someone in business to do. You don't put your political opinions out for public consumption. I don't care who you vote for, but it's just Business 101 to keep that shit to yourself. Artists on the other hand are supposed to be expressing themselves- that's what art is.

Ree is not helping herself, her employees or Food Network.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And neither am I (a movie star or a musician). But I am a small business owner in my community and I NEVER show my politics. Not my concern.

• Love 8

But I am a small business owner in my community and I NEVER show my politics. Not my concern.

Very wise!  You are sure to alienate about half the people.

If they can't sell her crappy stuff at Wallie World, what make her think the Merc will make any difference?  It's still the same crappy stuff.

• Love 6

I'm bluer than blue, it killed me to not vote for my beloved Dennis Kucinich the last time he threw his hat in the presidential ring so that I could vote for Hilary over Barack in the primary in 2008 since I knew he stood no chance while she actually did, but did I ever expect Ree to be a democrat when I started reading her blog? Uh, not so much. And as much as everyone likes to paint her and her followers as backwoods rubes here, you know, the ones made fun of for shopping for her stuff at Walmart or using (gasp) canned products, I'm not sure why it's suddenly going to cause her fans to flee. I've read this forum for a couple of years now, and the implied impression of her fans is exactly the now implied impression of those who voted Trump and would be her biggest fans, not now offended democrats. Am I planning a trip to The Merc or buying her stuff? Nope, but I might pick up her version of the knife she always uses. I was always pretty certain my political and religious views (Atheist) were complete opposites of hers so I pretty much assumed she voted republican without needing proof. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm bluer than blue, it killed me to not vote for my beloved Dennis Kucinich the last time he threw his hat in the presidential ring so that I could vote for Hilary over Barack in the primary in 2008 since I knew he stood no chance while she actually did, but did I ever expect Ree to be a democrat when I started reading her blog? Uh, not so much. And as much as everyone likes to paint her and her followers as backwoods rubes here, you know, the ones made fun of for shopping for her stuff at Walmart or using (gasp) canned products, I'm not sure why it's suddenly going to cause her fans to flee. I've read this forum for a couple of years now, and the implied impression of her fans is exactly the now implied impression of those who voted Trump and would be her biggest fans, not now offended democrats. Am I planning a trip to The Merc or buying her stuff? Nope, but I might pick up her version of the knife she always uses. I was always pretty certain my political and religious views (Atheist) were complete opposites of hers so I pretty much assumed she voted republican without needing proof. 

Oh, absolutely. I'm not the least bit surprised. Can you imagine Ladd, a man who won't touch a vegetable, hates wine and likes to be called Marlboro Man would ever vote for a woman?

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm not sure why it's suddenly going to cause her fans to flee.

I think many will stay & love her more.  I think many will flee in getting to know something about her they didn't want to know.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe she's only in it for a quick buck? I don't see this becoming a long term thing. She'l have decent numbers the first couple years and then she'll sell it to some rube who will wonder why the place is losing money.

That's what happened with the Pet Rock.  The seller knew when to jump off & the buyer didn't know when not to jump on.  Happens every day, & keeps bankruptcy lawyers in business.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Very wise!  You are sure to alienate about half the people.

If they can't sell her crappy stuff at Wallie World, what make her think the Merc will make any difference?  It's still the same crappy stuff.

I wholeheartedly agree. Business people who pointedly broadcast their political leanings (whether you personally agree with them or not) are just asking for trouble.  In this case, though, I don't think Ree caused herself much damage. I image all of the sheeple support Trump anyway.

I imagine that the people who shop at the Merc are doing so for the "experience." /eyeroll. I also wonder how much higher her prices will be than they were at WM?  You just know they're going to gouge the customers. They have to. I do not, for the life of me, see how they are going to keep that place sustainable for any extended period of time. Maybe they are prepared to pour a lot of their own money into it.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 2

Maybe they are prepared to pour a lot of their own money into it.

Or declare it a huge loss which exempts them from paying taxes for the next 10 years.  Wonder how many more sheeple will try that.

• Love 4

If the president can do it, then why not?

Speaking of ... saw the interview on "60 Minutes." After listening to that Slovenian Stepford Wife he's married to, Aunt Sandy as our possible future first lady is sounding better and better every day!

• Love 6
On 11/10/2016 at 7:48 PM, booklvr said:

I am not going to expand on this but thank you for posting this.  I was close to deleting this show from my DVR and now this was the final push.

• Love 8

People have the right to express their political leanings even if they are famous but it can come back to bite you in the butt.  An executive at New Balance was complimentary about Donald Trump's proposed trade policies and now neo-Nazis have proclaimed NB the official shoe of white people.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

People have the right to express their political leanings even if they are famous but it can come back to bite you in the butt.  An executive at New Balance was complimentary about Donald Trump's proposed trade policies and now neo-Nazis have proclaimed NB the official shoe of white people.

Oh, gross!

• Love 4
On 11/13/2016 at 2:20 PM, Kohola3 said:

You might not have heard of the hit Home Depot took after their former CEO cast his support behind Trump. 

I hope the mods will indulge me for a moment. The Property Brothers actually endorsed Secretary Clinton before the election; they said they employ hundreds of people in the United States and wanted the best working environment for their people.

I was a bit surprised at how forthright they were on the subject. I haven't noted any blowback for them on social media. Ree Drummond, however -- IMHO but I think she'll regret her comments.

On 11/14/2016 at 8:39 AM, Lisin said:

OK gang... we have a political forum for political talk. Please take non-PW related political talk there (and yay for everyone keeping things civil here, I love y'all!) 

Lisin, I responded before I saw your note. I'll go there now.

Thank you so much.

• Love 3

I don't think that I live that far away. It might be like a long day trip or something. The problem is that I wouldn't have anybody who'd be interested/willing to go with me because they either 1) don't know who Ree is (YES, there are some out there),  2) would have no interest in going to some small town in OK and 3) would just not have any interest in a place like the Merc, in general. Now, if my poor old nearly 84-year-old nursing home-living dad could walk and endure that long a trip, it would be right up his alley. He LOVES day trips to little towns and Ponca City OK, was a frequent day trip when we were growing up.  I know if I told him I wanted to go there, he'd be thrilled to go through his road atlas and help me plan my route! LOL!

OTOH, I'm used to having to drive across MO to St. Louis and back by myself. Maybe my arm can be twisted!

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 4

I'll have to think about it. It's a four-hour drive which is the same as driving to St. Louis, which I've done a round-trip in a day and it's pretty tiring.  I might be able to convince my brother to ride along with me if he's available. He'd enjoy the trip but not necessarily visiting the Merc, although he seems to like Ree's show. (Which troubles me deeply, as he's an excellent cook!) He said she looks just like the sister of his deceased childhood best friend (sans the clown-red hair.) Whatever works ...

I'll ask him and bribe him with lunch at the *deli* and he'll probably agree to go. That sounds like a fun day trip on a dull Midwest January day when we both have a day off.  This time of year, though, isn't good at all.

• Love 2