Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

I admit, I gotta hand it to Ree when it comes to creating a successful business model. She (and/or her marketing team) created "Leave it to Beaver, Okie Style," and it's made a ton of money for her. I read somewhere "she never breaks character." It's true. Wherever she goes, she's in the same uniform. She's always "sweet." Her life is a fantasy of perfection. Everything is beautiful, and she loves it all. If something happens to go a little sideways, she just laughs it off. She never says anything that can be construed as negative by anyone (apparently learned some lessons pretty early on). She's got her family trained how to behave wherever they go to keep up the image. Think how hard that must be, to be acting every moment you're in the public eye. I couldn't do it; I'd crack now and then. And yet, a lot of people see her as "just one of them," "real" and "down to earth." It's a marvel, really.

• Love 1

In a not-very-deep discussion of Ree's show tonight, my husband opined that there isn't really much for men on Ree's show, unless you like watching cows and horses.  He suggested, as a change of pace, that they have a car wash.  Get all the cars and trucks on the ranch together, bring out the buckets and rags and hoses, and get rid of 50 years of dust and mud clinging to the vehicles.  He laughed over the image of Ree and Ladd using their muscles and how funny it would be. 

"Ree and Ladd?" I interjected.  "They'd never do it!  They'd have the kids do it!"  Husband agreed.  When he gets his idea typed up and sent to the producers, I'll let you know.  Don't hold your breath, though, as writing a letter is torture for him.  However, if you DO happen to see a listing for an episode five years from now, called "Car Wash," you'll have heard about it here first.  Any and all ideas and suggestions would be appreciated -- in fact, desperately needed!

I admit, I gotta hand it to Ree when it comes to creating a successful business model. She (and/or her marketing team) created "Leave it to Beaver, Okie Style," and it's made a ton of money for her. I read somewhere "she never breaks character." It's true. Wherever she goes, she's in the same uniform. She's always "sweet." Her life is a fantasy of perfection. Everything is beautiful, and she loves it all. If something happens to go a little sideways, she just laughs it off. She never says anything that can be construed as negative by anyone (apparently learned some lessons pretty early on). She's got her family trained how to behave wherever they go to keep up the image. Think how hard that must be, to be acting every moment you're in the public eye. I couldn't do it; I'd crack now and then. And yet, a lot of people see her as "just one of them," "real" and "down to earth." It's a marvel, really.

We will have to see how that plan plays out long term.  It didn't play out well for the Duggars

• Love 4

RE: The Wal-Mart Pioneer Woman merchandise sell-outs. I bought some of the flowered bowls very early the first morning they were advertised on sale. (Four for $15.99; and if I hate them, I can give them away.) I got an e-mail from Wal-Mart the day before yesterday notifying me that the bowls are not only sold out, they're on back order, and there is some question as to whether or not I'm ever getting those bowls.

I can get some other bowls that will work from Fiesta Ware, but I did think it was interesting that the line was already so oversold.

We will have to see how that plan plays out long term.  It didn't play out well for the Duggars

The Drummonds have never represented themselves as holier than thou or required any of their kids (to my knowledge) to carry the Flip Phone of Shame or forced them into marrying someone they didn't know because purity.

I'm guessing the "Drummonds tell-all" would have something to do with Ree or Ladd actually using an obscenity or two when things didn't go their way, or one of the kids getting caught drinking alcohol at an adult party or whatever. They're human.

• Love 4

RE: The Wal-Mart Pioneer Woman merchandise sell-outs. I bought some of the flowered bowls very early the first morning they were advertised on sale. (Four for $15.99; and if I hate them, I can give them away.) I got an e-mail from Wal-Mart the day before yesterday notifying me that the bowls are not only sold out, they're on back order, and there is some question as to whether or not I'm ever getting those bowls.

I can get some other bowls that will work from Fiesta Ware, but I did think it was interesting that the line was already so oversold.

Today we are celebrating Labor Day in the US.  Please enjoy your "made in China" bowls.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 4

I feel that way too, Ariel.  Her line is inspired by Depression glass and vintage dishes.  It's so fun to actually go to a vintage store or flea market and assemble your own very cool, very retro-looking set of dishes.  They may not be quite as cheap as the Walmart version, but many are not expensive and most were probably made here in this country.  And they're looking for a good home for another generation's use.

• Love 8

I feel that way too, Ariel.  Her line is inspired by Depression glass and vintage dishes.  It's so fun to actually go to a vintage store or flea market and assemble your own very cool, very retro-looking set of dishes.  They may not be quite as cheap as the Walmart version, but many are not expensive and most were probably made here in this country.  And they're looking for a good home for another generation's use.

Just never, ever put them in the microwave.  I learned this the hard way.

The Drummonds have never represented themselves as holier than thou or required any of their kids (to my knowledge) to carry the Flip Phone of Shame or forced them into marrying someone they didn't know because purity.

I'm guessing the "Drummonds tell-all" would have something to do with Ree or Ladd actually using an obscenity or two when things didn't go their way, or one of the kids getting caught drinking alcohol at an adult party or whatever. They're human.

I think if the (wider) world ever finds out Ree happily used to routinely and frequently call her brother "the r*****"  or "r*******" (and posed a defense of that on her blog, then scrubbed all of it away w/o an apology) that might be tell-all enough for most people.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1

I think if the (wider) world ever finds out Ree happily used to routinely and frequently call her brother "the r*****"  or "r*******" (and posed a defense of that on her blog, then scrubbed all of it away w/o an apology) that might be tell-all enough for most people.

And I'd love to see a show of hands of how many people used the R word in their lives before they realized that maybe it wasn't a great thing to do and they should stop. Hell, I'd like to see a show of hands of how many people have ever knowingly discriminated against others of another race, sexual orientation, religion, those who are fat, the list goes on. And I am sure that Ree Drummond is embarrassed that she ever used that term. At least she admitted to the behavior and apologized, which is a hell of a lot more than many people are willing to do in life.

Again, I hold no illusions that the Drummond family is perfect. Nobody is. To insist that the Drummonds meet some ever-shifting and stringent code of above-it-all behavior is hilarious, especially when there are other Food Network personalities that have committed personal faux pas that make calling someone the R word pretty tame in comparison. (Didn't Trisha Yearwood break up Garth Brooks' first marriage, for instance?)

Comparing the Drummonds to the Duggars would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic.

• Love 4

.And I am sure that Ree Drummond is embarrassed that she ever used that term. At least she admitted to the behavior and apologized, which is a hell of a lot more than many people are willing to do in life.

I've never heard of Ree apologizing for using the word r***** -- or apologize for mocking people who questioned that use as too PC --  is this apology online anywhere? 

Again, I hold no illusions that the Drummond family is perfect. Nobody is. To insist that the Drummonds meet some ever-shifting and stringent code of above-it-all behavior is hilarious, especially when there are other Food Network personalities that have committed personal faux pas

Hunh? Who's doing that? Check out some of the other food forums -- this kind of mockery is not reserved for Ree Drummond alone.

Comparing the Drummonds to the Duggars would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic.

I didn't think that comment was either laughable or pathetic. I found it pretty damn insightful --  people who falsely market a family image for bucks aplenty, only to have that image blown to bits by reality.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

I've never heard of Ree apologizing for using the word r***** -- or apologize for mocking people who questioned that use as too PC --  is this apology online anywhere? 

Didn't you or another poster state that the comments went up on her website and were removed later?

I didn't think that comment was either laughable or pathetic. I found it pretty damn insightful --  people who falsely market a family image for bucks aplenty, only to have that image blown to bits by reality.

I'll tell you what. Since this seems to be such a problem for you, please -- contact Food Network's executives. Contact Ree Drummond's publisher. You should call Wal-Mart, too. Be sure and let them know that a woman in her late 40's used a term about a member of her own family that is outdated, offensive, and stopped using it (allegedly) when she was told it was outdated and offensive. I'm sure they'll take away her blog, TV show, her publishing contract, the product line, and hire you on the spot for saving the nation from faux "family friendly" programming!

The national focus on not using the R word has been in force (at the earliest, thanks to Google) since 2004. As someone in the same age group, I remember hearing the R word used frequently while growing up to describe people who are developmentally disabled. As we were enlightened, most people made an effort to use non-offensive terminology.

You might want to also consider the fact that Food Network probably knows more about Ree Drummond than her detractors will ever dream up. After the implosion of three different programs on TLC due to molestation, any channel with reality programming most likely spent some money on background checks at the least.

There's also a big difference between snark and straight-up jealousy.

• Love 3

I just think she sucks as a cook.  And has similarly bad taste in home decor, but other than that I think what you see is what you get as a person.  She's driven and smart enough to capitalize on a technology and build a large brand.  She took advantage of opportunity and profited from it.  I admire that.  She's raised a nice family (that gets a lot of points in my eyes).  And she provides a certain level of entertainment for people like me who love to watch cooking shows, of any type or skill level, and dissect and critique them (even better when I learn something).  

As far as her former references to her "r******* brother", I remember cringing years ago when reading that in her blog.  Honestly, I interpreted it to be more of an indication of her sheltered life and lack of exposure to shifting norms about the way we as a society describe, embrace, and support people with disabilities.  It sounds like the message was received, and she's ceased committing that particular offense.  But I never thought it was intended to be anything derogatory toward the brother she clearly loves so much.  She inserted her foot quite deeply discussing it with an ever-broader audience, and the message from her audience and critics was delivered.  She got it.  She's human.

Ree seems like she's about 100 steps up from the scumbag Paula Deen with her racist and misogynistic speech and work practices within Paula Deen Enterprises.  <whisper>Even though, butter fat aside, I actually think Paula Deen is a better cook than Ree.</whisper>

• Love 3

I'll tell you what. Since this seems to be such a problem for you

The only problem I have is with someone labeling other comments "laughable" and "pathetic" (when they're not) claiming apologies from Ree were made (when they weren't) and acting as if this were not a forum trading in snark, but the International Court of the Hague (it isn't). 

My question still stands -- how is scrubbing a website any kind of apology?

As we were enlightened, most people made an effort to use non-offensive terminology.

That's not relevant to Ree Drummond.  She didn't use the word out of ignorance, she used it proudly -- while deflecting and arguing against comments from people explaining how and why the word was offensive:

"I love not having to whip out annoying euphemisms like “Developmentally Disabled” or “Mentally Challenged” or “Intellectually Delayed.” As a blood relative of a r******* person, I’m automatically exempt. I get to say r*******. R*******.

I have to admit, I sometimes like using the “r” word just to watch people squirm. Sometimes when I’m feeling particularly ornery, if someone in a conversation casually says, “r*****” or “r*******”, I put on a dejected face and say, “Um, my brother is r*******. I don’t appreciate that.”  I can usually last about 3.2 seconds through the look of terror on their face before I burst out laughing."

Charming.

Ree seems like she's about 100 steps up from the scumbag Paula Deen with her racist and misogynistic speech and work practices within Paula Deen Enterprises

She is, but still -- that weird post about having a black grandfather (he was actually deeply tanned) and how special it made her feel to not think she was white -- like all the other country club kids -- even (especially?) as humor, I found that a very squirrelly look into her world view (and that was back when I still liked her blog). 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

Hey guys,

We all know that using the "R" word is no longer acceptable, and I think it's been established that Ree now knows that too. Whether or not you agree with how she handled it is irrelevant. Let's move on to another topic, please.

Thanks.

• Love 3

It’s a question how the Drummonds’ squeaky clean image will play out over the years.    I don’t think that question is pathetic or laughable.

• Love 3

The disconnect between the blog and the show is just so jarring to me. She has made me genuinely LOL a few times on the blog with her wit and humor, but it just doesn't deliver on the screen. The way she uses words and her timing is very good on paper, but I would never know she even had a sense of humor just from watching.

• Love 4

I wonder if Taylor Swift watches the show and realizes that she's watching herself in 20 years...

True story:  I have some leftover baked potatoes and was discussing with a coworker how to make twice-baked potatoes.  I have cheese, bacon and scallions ready but was asking whether I should add sour cream.  She said she wouldn't but did add some milk to hers.  I googled a recipe this morning and the first entry brought me to Dree's take on the Food Network page.  For eight potatoes, she used a cup of sour cream.  And whole milk.  And an entire stick of butter.

Good thing I checked.  Oy.

• Love 2

I have to admit, as much as I criticize Ree and the show, looking at her product line on Wal-Mart's website, I do like some of it: the sundae glasses that look like depression glass and the floral pie pan with ruffled edges and the floral cow creamer. Cake stand and butter dish pretty, but wouldn't get much use out of. Of course all of those items are out of stock, and the items that do show as being in stock at my local Wal-Mart, aren't. I had to go there at lunch today to return something, and went by housewares to see what they had since today was the day her line was supposed to be out in the stores. Was expecting to find a huge display. They had exactly 2 mugs and a few of the footed bowls. But here's the best part - I asked 2 different clerks did they sell out already or was that all they got. The first one told me she had no idea. (but really don't think it sold out - no empty shelf space on any of the house ware aisles I went down). The second clerk asked "You mean Rachael Ray?" Lol.

Just curious if anyone went into their Wal-Mart today - did they have a lot of her line out?

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 1

I've never used milk in my restuffed potatoes....just sour cream, butter and sometimes bacon and or scallions or cheddar or parm. And never a stick of butter for crying out loud. Especially with the additions.

They actually freeze well too.....

Ree always seems to guild the lily and add it to an already fat filled menu. Sans veggies.

• Love 2

There was a post (above) about Ree's professional background.  I found it interesting and would like to read more about it.  Could you tell me, please, where to find this info?  Was it in a book or a magazine or a newspaper?  I've never read anything about her, including her blog, so for me, all I know is from her show.  Thanks a million!

Edited by Lura

Funny how MMV. I saw that same show and felt the opposite. I thought that the interaction between Trisha and Ree was strained and awkward and that Trisha was barely able to contain the snark.

I just got back from WalMart and Ree's merchandise is in stock. There weren't any shortages, even of the bassett hound cookie jar. I just thought it looked like a bunch of kitchy country wanna-be type of kitchen/serveware. There was some oddly shaped bowl that tapered towards the bottom, and had a wide fluted rim. At first I thought it was some kind of cake pan, but it's a serving bowl (I guess.) The flatware looked cheap and I didn't care for the craftsmanship on the cow cream pitchers or butter dishes.

The Dutch ovens with the butterfly handles are around 50 bucks. Sets of cookware were 99.

The worst offenders were the glasses designed to look like Depression glass. They aren't even close. I've collected Depression glass and like to look at it in shops, and the Pioneer Woman stuff look like cheap knock-offs, to put it kindly.

I really liked the flowered small bowls and salad plates, but I am a sucker for anything floral, especially with poppies. Those retailed for $4.38 apiece.

On the other side of the end cap was the fall collection from Better Homes and Gardens. Similar-sized salad plates and bowls with pretty autumn prints were $2.34 piece. I know which ones I'm buying.

• Love 5

I am really wondering about the marketing of these dishes.  Would it be Walmart or a separate marketing company?  I'm guessing that it's separate but approved by Walmart.

The reason I ask is because it's so poorly done.  In many of the photos, all four patterns are shown mixed together.  As Ina would say, it resembles a "dog's breakfast."  It leads to real confusion until it's explained later that there are four individual patterns and THEN shows each pattern separately.  I can't imagine Macy's or any higher end store showing a picture of one pattern of goblet, another pattern of salad plate, yet another in a mismatched color of silverware, etc., all in a bunch and all for you to figure out.  Baaaad!

• Love 2

I am really wondering about the marketing of these dishes.  Would it be Walmart or a separate marketing company?  I'm guessing that it's separate but approved by Walmart.

The reason I ask is because it's so poorly done.  In many of the photos, all four patterns are shown mixed together.  As Ina would say, it resembles a "dog's breakfast."  It leads to real confusion until it's explained later that there are four individual patterns and THEN shows each pattern separately.  I can't imagine Macy's or any higher end store showing a picture of one pattern of goblet, another pattern of salad plate, yet another in a mismatched color of silverware, etc., all in a bunch and all for you to figure out.  Baaaad!

"Dog's breakfast."  Ha, perfect.  And your commentary is interesting, Lura.  So you actually have to buy 3-30 different sets of dishes to get the "flea market chic" look that she demonstrates in her commercials?  That actually sounds like an intentionally misleading plan to get her fans to buy more of her dishes.   Money, money, money...  

I love open stock dishes.  Or, as has been discussed, just going to an actual flea market or antique store and create-away.  I have a gigantic set of Depression glass that started with some from a grandmother and then quadrupled through my own collecting.  It sets a beautiful table, people always notice it which starts a good conversation, and the history of it all makes me feel sentimental and connected in some small way to the past.  Mine is not a total mishmash, though, and is the original, muted amber color (not the brighter, reproduction amber), though I do mix  it with some of the avocado Depression glass as well as some green Portuguese majolica for color and a little more contemporary touch.

I also have an obsession with Fiestaware and love the stuff and envy those who have it.  But I don't have room for another giant set of dishes. 

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

I love Depression glass. I have Modern tone and black amethyst glass (which I don't think really is Depression glass) but I just have display items, not actual sets for use. If I had the room (and money) I'd have sets in every color!

Not to defend Ree (gasp!) but the dishes I saw a WalMart were open stock. I only saw small salad/dessert size plates, smallish soup/salad bowls and coffee mugs. I didn't see any boxed sets of place settings. (However, I didn't look that hard.) I didn't care for the solid color scheme which was turquoise and hot-sauce reddish-orange. Offset by the purple Dutch ovens with the fugly butterfly handles.

I actually stopped into Walmart today for some cleaning supplies and saw the line (my apologies for what I'm about to say to people who really like it).  The faux depression glass looked super cheap looking, and many of the ceramic serving pieces and baking dishes just seemed impractical with all the fluted edging.  They seem like they're going to chip badly unless extreme care is taken.  I did see open stock bowls, but it looked like the dinner plates were all in boxed sets.  I didn't linger too long, so maybe I missed some.   

I'll admit to being a kitchenware snob,and I was really the most disappointed in the cookware.  It's very thin and flimsy, and I would expect that it would take very little for the pale, speckle finish on the exterior of them to discolor with much exposure to significant heat (especially over a gas flame). 

On a side note...Walmart always leaves me feeling so empty when I leave there.  The stuff looks pretty good when it's new, but you just know that the quality isn't there and within a year or so everything is going to show its wear.  People are better off stocking a great kitchen on a tight budget by going to yard sales, estate sales, and flea markets.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 8

I, too, am a huge tableware fan.  I could spend hours looking at dishes, and if I lived in Buckingham Palace, I'd fill it with sets of china and Royal Doulton figurines!   Due to earthquakes, many homes in CA have no basements (including ours) and no attics (including ours), so storage space is very limited.  That fact, plus the price of china, keeps my collection in check! 

I have three sets of china, one which I use for every day, and two that I reserve for dinner parties.  I'm most proud of an identical set of my great-grandmother's china, which she used for everyday.  Only three small pieces remained.  I spent over seven years writing to every antique shop in the country -- literally -- and was about to give up, when -- lo and behold -- I found an entire set, unused, at a tiny antique store in a little crossroads town in Iowa.  It really was a miracle since the set was issued long ago, and if you can find any, it's generally just a saucer or a small fruit dish.  To find the entire set had me stunned for weeks.

I've loved reading about your Depression glass and other tablewareware, and I'm wishing we had a thread for that.  Guess what I want to get next.  A set of Melamine!  No kidding!  I love it!  But I need to remember:  No room for it!

• Love 5

You and I are kindred spirits, Lura.  I am fascinated by melamine dishware and cookware, too!  And I loved your story about finding a set of your great-grandmother's china.  She would be so pleased, I'm sure, to know that it meant so much to you to search for it like that.

• Love 4

Lura, if you go to the very bottom of the "Forums" page to "Off Topic" look at "Food." (There are a few familiar faces there, but a lot of nice and interesting people.) You could start a separate thread for Tableware (or whatever you'd like to call it.)

That would be a great refuge for those of us who are still scarred by Sandra Lee's "tablescapes!"

Love depression era glaso and milk glass. I have quite a bit of melamine, Pyrex and Coronado Ware. But the Fiesta I received for our wedding was so dang heavy. After I had our son, I gave it all away.

This lady drives me nutty and I shudder when my friends share her blog or recipes on FB.

Lura, if you go to the very bottom of the "Forums" page to "Off Topic" look at "Food." (There are a few familiar faces there, but a lot of nice and interesting people.) 

Thanks very much, grisgris.   I didn't know that existed -- lots of interesting threads there, full of intriguing ideas (such as roasting cantaloupe) that should keep me busy for awhile.

I'll look forward to seeing you there 3pwood. What I like about those threads is that they are completely devoid of talk about any FN or TCC shows (in fact, I think I a the chief offender!) While I love to come here and snark, it's a nice balance.

There also is a thread under "Networks" for discussion of PBS, TCC and FN show that don't have separate threads. Not much traffic, though.

I would like to add my thanks for the heads up re the extra topics available at the bottom of the page.  Since my plate is full with other topics, I doubt that I'd start a new one, but if anyone does, I'll watch for it.  Who knows?   Ree's show may sink like the sunset in the West, and we'll need a new place for conversation!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Edited by Lura

Every once in a while, I wish that Ree and her staff would work a little harder at coming up with more creative show titles.  I'm not being picky here.  I get completely confused when, for instance, a rerun is coming with the title, "Cowboys' Lunch," and I wonder whether that's the one I saw before, but it was titled "Lunch for Cowboys."  Or there are "Ladies Lunch," "Ladies Pot Luck" and "Ladies Get-

Together."

I realized this morning that we not only have "a buncha" when talking about ingredients, but we also have "a little bitta" when talking about a small amount that isn't really small.  She was making  tub of baked beans for the cowboys, and she wanted to add a little bitta spice or a little bitta punch.  She added green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers, cumin, several other dried spices, and finally ended the fiery concoction with enough hot sauce to kill a herd of cattle.  THAT was "a little bitta" heat!  Those cowboys' tongues must be made of leather, and their colons are another story!  I could picture little Todd saying, "No, Dad, that wasn't me -- that was the cattles."

• Love 5

Every once in a while, I wish that Ree and her staff would work a little harder at coming up with more creative show titles.  I'm not being picky here.  I get completely confused when, for instance, a rerun is coming with the title, "Cowboys' Lunch," and I wonder whether that's the one I saw before, but it was titled "Lunch for Cowboys."  Or there are "Ladies Lunch," "Ladies Pot Luck" and "Ladies Get-

Together."

I realized this morning that we not only have "a buncha" when talking about ingredients, but we also have "a little bitta" when talking about a small amount that isn't really small.  She was making  tub of baked beans for the cowboys, and she wanted to add a little bitta spice or a little bitta punch.  She added green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers, cumin, several other dried spices, and finally ended the fiery concoction with enough hot sauce to kill a herd of cattle.  THAT was "a little bitta" heat!  Those cowboys' tongues must be made of leather, and their colons are another story!  I could picture little Todd saying, "No, Dad, that wasn't me -- that was the cattles."

That's so we don't add "too, too much".

• Love 2

Just a quick observation I have noticed the last few years of her show.  Why do the guys (cowboys) always wear plaid button-down shirts?  Is this an Oklahoma thing, do all "cowboys" do this.  And they are always tucked in.   I truly feel stupid for asking, but it really doesn't make sense to me.  Why not a pull-over tee shirt or polo or even a sweat shirt.    Since Ree always says they get up at the crack of dawn, the last thing I would want to do is button down a shirt.   I don't know, I just felt the need to ask anyone's opinion. 

Over the last few months, I've gotten really interested in making stuff from scratch and fermenting things. So far, I've made my own soda, kombucha, and yogurt. The yogurt thing got me thinking, because it's honestly so simple it's barely a recipe and you don't need fancy equipment. I made it in my slow cooker; it can easily be made in a stock pot or a Dutch oven. If Ree really wants to be the "Pioneer Woman", why not show people how to make the true basics, and de-mystify it for them? Yogurt could easily be its own show: she makes yogurt, then makes things with yogurt like tzatziki/raita/some kind of dip (or even onion dip - with real onions, if we're shooting for the stars), yogurt-marinated chicken (either tikka masala or, if that's not "cowboy" enough, a fried chicken) and a lassi or smoothie. Done. Whole stinking episode, right there.

She's got an army of ardent fans that she could be leading to take control over the pre-made stuff they take for granted and really changing the way they approach food. Has she ever made a risotto? It used to terrify me because people messed it up so often on competition shows, but I finally made it myself and it's not hard. It just takes some babysitting. Honestly, I think what makes me angriest about her show is that there's so much potential that she's wasting because it's more "family-friendly" to open a jar of something without thinking about where it comes from and how it could be made better at home. I remember the first time I tuned in, I'd never heard of her before and was expecting some "Little House on the Prairie" type set-up. Boy, was I wrong.

• Love 6