Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Autopsy: The Last Hours Of...

Recommended Posts

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've been binge-watching this show over the past few weekends and I'm totally absorbed.  Am I the only one?  I was going to add episode threads but it's been on for 5 seasons and I didn't know which ones to choose.  Robin Williams, Phil Hartman, Elvis, Joan Rivers...all were really interesting.  I feel like they are very objective and give a balanced overview of the event.  Tonight is Amy Winehouse--should be interesting.

 

FWIW, I had no idea that Liberace had AIDS.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/23/2016 at 0:28 PM, cynicat said:

I've been binge-watching this show over the past few weekends and I'm totally absorbed.  Am I the only one?  I was going to add episode threads but it's been on for 5 seasons and I didn't know which ones to choose.  Robin Williams, Phil Hartman, Elvis, Joan Rivers...all were really interesting.  I feel like they are very objective and give a balanced overview of the event.  Tonight is Amy Winehouse--should be interesting.

 

FWIW, I had no idea that Liberace had AIDS.

Nope, you're not the only one.  This show has become one of my new obsessions.  I find it surprisingly well done and informative. 

I appreciated the episodes on Jimi Hendrix (finally - - no, he didn't die from binge drinking or hard drugs but the more common and sad accidental prescription drug overdose) and Jim Morrison (possible heart ailment, not helped by the alcohol and drugs.)  I also learned new information with the Maurice Gibb episode - - just sadness.

I remember the rumors at the time of Liberace's death involved AIDS.  I had no idea that he was insanely popular in the 50's, along the lines of Frank Sinatra.  Tragic that he had to keep his life so secretive and private.  He was definitely a crazy talented pianist and entertainer.  

That just reminded me on the episode I saw for Michael Jackson.  Sad and tragic that so many people enabled him for so many years.  And that the autopsy report stated that his hair was not his own; his own hair, what was left of it, was stark white.  Apparently after the Pepsi/fire incident in 1983 or 1984, the majority of his hair never grew back where he was burned and that accident started his downward spiral with painkillers and prescription drugs.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I am so excited to find this show/topic!  I just found the show last night and watched the Amy Winehouse, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix episodes, plus the last 15 minutes of the Michael Hutchence episode (the saddest one to me, personally).

i thought they were all very interesting and informative, lots of great little factoids and interviews. Did anyone else think the actors were much less attractive than the original people? The Jim Morrison actor had a gigantic melon!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have been watching, but I am not sure that I like it. Some of the red herrings they throw in, then rule out as causes of death, seem so forced. I don't find the doctor very compelling. The Winehouse one irritated me. First, I think BPD is a bullshit diagnosis. Second, acting like it had any role in her actual death was really stretching it. The entire episode seemed off. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/30/2016 at 6:37 AM, azshadowwalker said:

I have been watching, but I am not sure that I like it. Some of the red herrings they throw in, then rule out as causes of death, seem so forced. I don't find the doctor very compelling. The Winehouse one irritated me. First, I think BPD is a bullshit diagnosis. Second, acting like it had any role in her actual death was really stretching it. The entire episode seemed off. 

I agree about the red herrings and they do build up with hype ("so and so has been known to do cocaine, crack...").  But, it seems that they do a decent job of debunking when it didn't contribute to the person's death, which is not something a lot of other shows will do.  Sometimes, those facts lead to really cool trivia that is rarely mentioned.  For instance, I'm totally fascinated by the fact that Elvis was massively obstipated due to all the opiates, and that's one reason he kept using the bathroom.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Watching the episodes on River Phoenix and Heath Ledger took me back to 1993 and 2008 and made me so, so sad.  I think it was fairly well known that River OD'd on illegal drugs, mainly a speedball, but I don't recall hearing that he had ingested the heroin in liquid form.  It made me frustrated/angry that 9-1-1 wasn't called as soon as he collapsed.

It appears that it was never decided (at least not publicly so) who gave Heath the prescription drugs.  Very saddened that Heath suffered so much with anxiety and insomnia; he seemed like such a decent person (born out by the comments that he wasn't into himself.) 

Yet another frustration that 9-1-1 wasn't called immediately.  I get that both of these men were celebs but their lives are at stake so freaking call 9-1-1!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed the Heath Ledger episode (still disappointed he's gone), except I couldn't shake the feeling that the actor playing him didn't look enough like him. Silly thing I know. Robin Williams' re-enactor really did resemble him.

Next week is Philip Seymour Hoffman. I'm on board for sure, still miss him a whole bunch.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I do enjoy this show, but as a Death Hag I'm already familiar with these cases.  I've been a frequent visitor to findadeath.com for many years.  If you like this show you'll LOVE that site.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/2/2016 at 10:32 AM, LadyNebula said:

I do enjoy this show, but as a Death Hag I'm already familiar with these cases.  I've been a frequent visitor to findadeath.com for many years.  If you like this show you'll LOVE that site.


The snark at findadeath is rivaled only by Michael K's snark at dlisted.com

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/11/2016 at 6:39 PM, SPLAIN said:

I like this show, but I think an hour is too long. Too much filler

I find some of the backstory interesting; with others, it is definitely filler. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Oh!  I've been waiting for a section on this show!  It is my absolute favorite.  I never miss it.  Back in November I was recovering from a major surgery and all I could do for a week was lay in bed.  My BFF found Reelz channel and the Autopsy show.

Here are my thoughts ~ I enjoyed the first seasons with Dr. Shepherd.  The next Dr.  {I can't remember his name} was from L.A. and I didn't care for him or the show topics.  I like the current Dr. who is again British but I can't remember his name.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/29/2016 at 5:57 PM, psychoticstate said:

I appreciated the episodes on Jimi Hendrix (finally - - no, he didn't die from binge drinking or hard drugs but the more common and sad accidental prescription drug overdose) and Jim Morrison (possible heart ailment, not helped by the alcohol and drugs.)  I also learned new information with the Maurice Gibb episode - - just sadness.

They had those same shows yesterday, with Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Maurice Gibb, but also threw in Amy Winehouse.  I find it amazing, but not totally surprising, that there was such a limited investigation into the death of Jim Morrison.  By the same token, it doesn't really change much.

Quote

I like this show, but I think an hour is too long. Too much filler

The backstories to me are the most interesting.  It usually tells the full story about what led to the deaths, not just the single point-in-time autopsy. I was fascinated by how cray cray Brittany Murphy's whole family was, and that her death was ultimately about the paranoid refusal to see a doctor than it was anything else.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I loathed Jean Kasem for quite a long time since it was revealed what kind of person she truly is in her personal life. When Casey was near death and all the publicity about his last weeks with Jean and Casey's children fighting made headlines, my hatred for Jean grew. This episode caused me to blow a head gasket. I watched in disbelief. The horror that man was put through by his spouse. His poor children. My heart breaks for their loss.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/29/2017 at 10:39 PM, Pj3422 said:

Where was the Wig Cop during the Steve McQueen episode?

That whole Steve McQueen episode was a trip.  What a nutty, doctor.  He really thought someone injected clotting agents into McQueen's IV as a conspiracy by the medical community and big pharma to make it appear the treatment didn't work.  Maybe the fact that McQueen had end stage cancer in every organ of his body and had a massive debulking surgery prior to his death played a teeny tiny role.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

How many eps of this series have been produced?  It keeps popping up on my DVR with shows I've already seen.  Is it current, cancelled, or on hiatus?

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

How many eps of this series have been produced?  It keeps popping up on my DVR with shows I've already seen.  Is it current, cancelled, or on hiatus?

http://www.reelz.com/autopsy/ says "new episodes Saturdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT."

Quote

The new hour-long episodes focus on the final hours of Steve McQueen, Richard Prior, Bruce Lee, Janis Joplin, Dennis Wilson and Bernie Mac. Autopsy: The Last Hours Of… is produced by Potato, part of ITV Studios.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

So they did Prince last night. Another Fentanyl overdose. Seemed to hint that he bought the drug from less than savory people. Sad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2017 at 11:51 AM, BookWitch said:

So they did Prince last night. Another Fentanyl overdose. Seemed to hint that he bought the drug from less than savory people. Sad.

I wanted to see this one so much but completely forgot about it, and my cable provider doesn't offer REELZ ON DEMAND. 

I hope they'll replay this one again soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/25/2017 at 2:53 PM, Enero said:

I wanted to see this one so much but completely forgot about it, and my cable provider doesn't offer REELZ ON DEMAND. 

I hope they'll replay this one again soon. 

It's on a couple of times tonight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Missed the Patrick Swayze one, though, I'm wondering if they are stretching a bit there--he died of cancer, right? Not sure how that makes him a subject for this show.  Steve Jobs, though--that one I am looking forward too, as I think that his own hubris did him in (regarding his treatment for his cancer).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Saw the last half of the Jobs episode last night.  Too bad he did not have wisdom along with his other smarts.  Yokosmom is right!  As for Brittany Murphy.....there was another show about her death and the similar passing of her husband that may have also appered on Reelz.  It mentioned that thier home was somewhat packratted out and then it just drove on by what effect this fact may have had on the conditions in the home and the consequences on the health of the occupants of the house.  Maybe Miss Murphy's medical problems stemmed from the fact that she was unintentionally working on her own special episode of Hoarders and sadly wound up on Autopsy instead. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2017 at 8:24 AM, Yokosmom said:

Missed the Patrick Swayze one, though, I'm wondering if they are stretching a bit there--he died of cancer, right? Not sure how that makes him a subject for this show. 

I wondered about this ep too. The big reveal was that although in tiptop physical shape, he drank and...drumroll...smoked.  Which may have contributed to his pancreatic cancer.  

As far as I can recall, they didn't mention any other factors that may have made him susceptible to this particularly aggressive form of cancer.  I had a very close family member die of leukemia at 84, and the doctors attributed it to his having worked with chemicals in the family fur business back in the 30s.  But he was 84 and lived with leukemia for over 20 years.  He also smoked and drank for a number of years.

Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I'm not opposed to having cancer cases on the show, if they are interesting and not run of the mill, show-wise.  (I'm not making light of cancer, which is horrible--I just mean that show-wise, it needs something extra to involve an hour long episode with a coroner). Steve McQueen's use of laetrile and Steve Jobs idiotic refusal to seek help for his treatable illness (or too late in actually listening to his doctors) made them good candidates. Speaking of Jobs, his episode was pretty interesting.  Had heard of his strange diets, but had no idea that fruitarianism is a possible cause of pancreatic cancer.  But I think that the real cause of his death was simple hubris.  He couldn't accept that someone else (who spent every working day treating cancer) might possibly know more about it than he did. He won a trifecta--pancreatic cancer that has a high treatment success rate, discovered early, and the money to get the best medical care in the world, and he threw it all away.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

After watching the Patrick Swayze one, I decided it was so they could add the end on where tabloid reports were that his wife Lisa abused him as he was dying.  The allegations were determined to be unfounded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I finally got a chance to watch the Steve Jobs episode.  How sad that it apparently came down to waiting too long to get the surgery.  From the way the show sketched it out, I don't know if it was his hubris so much as being asked to completely change who he was at his core.  He grew up in San Francisco as a fruit-eating vegan, non-conformist, LSD-dropping child of the sixties. It's not surprising that he didn't go for mainstream medicine right away.  They make it sound like it's an easy thing to go from being a vegan almost your entire life to having to suddenly eat meat and animal proteins.  I can see how that would be very difficult.  Not following the rules is what made him business genius, and unfortunately it's what also led to his early death.  

The part about high fructose diets leading to pancreatitis and possible pancreatic cancer was really interesting.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/17/2017 at 0:32 PM, cynicat said:

I finally got a chance to watch the Steve Jobs episode.  How sad that it apparently came down to waiting too long to get the surgery.  From the way the show sketched it out, I don't know if it was his hubris so much as being asked to completely change who he was at his core.  He grew up in San Francisco as a fruit-eating vegan, non-conformist, LSD-dropping child of the sixties. It's not surprising that he didn't go for mainstream medicine right away.  They make it sound like it's an easy thing to go from being a vegan almost your entire life to having to suddenly eat meat and animal proteins.  I can see how that would be very difficult.  Not following the rules is what made him business genius, and unfortunately it's what also led to his early death.  

The part about high fructose diets leading to pancreatitis and possible pancreatic cancer was really interesting.

I agree about Steve Jobs waiting to get treatment led to his death far too soon.  My soon to be hubby had an uncle, who to be straight to the point was cheapskate to the tenth degree.  He REFUSED to be tested for colon cancer although he could have easily afforded it and had insurance.  He thought doctors (here in the US, btw) were a part of socialized medicine.  He waited and waited.....and by the time he was cringing in pain the cancer had spread to his liver and spine.  He FINALLY went to doctor who told him:  "Go get your stuff in order.....you have six months to live."  He died four months later.  He could still be here today as he listened to his own body and more importantly, medical doctors.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/13/2017 at 5:40 PM, MrsClaus said:

After watching the Patrick Swayze one, I decided it was so they could add the end on where tabloid reports were that his wife Lisa abused him as he was dying.  The allegations were determined to be unfounded.

The Swayze episode made me both sad and angry.  I don't recall hearing the allegations that Lisa abused him but it would seem totally out of character and unlikely.  

I had not realized that Patrick and Lisa separated at one point. 

I think the basis for this being an episode of "Autopsy" was more to determine how Patrick managed to survive 2 years after a pancreatic cancer diagnosis.  That in itself is a miracle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Judy Garland's was very sad, as well.  We know she took a few too many sleeping pills/barbiturates, etc.  But I found it most interesting that there was no alcohol in her system.  And I also did not know that she was around 85-90 lbs. at the time of her death (possible bulimia, rotted teeth, malnurition).  So THAT + too many sleeping pills/barbs in such a weakened physical state is what likely killed her.  Having seen some photos of her from a month before her death really does show the extent of her physical state and how sickly thin she was.  She just didn't have the strength.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, filmfan2480 said:

Judy Garland's was very sad, as well.  We know she took a few too many sleeping pills/barbiturates, etc.  But I found it most interesting that there was no alcohol in her system.  And I also did not know that she was around 85-90 lbs. at the time of her death (possible bulimia, rotted teeth, malnurition).  So THAT + too many sleeping pills/barbs in such a weakened physical state is what likely killed her.  Having seen some photos of her from a month before her death really does show the extent of her physical state and how sickly thin she was.  She just didn't have the strength.

Yes, and her mother came across as a demon.  What would Judy's life have been like if she hadn't lost her (apparently) caring father at a young age?  What was interesting was that this wasn't a slam piece against Judy.  She was depicted as someone with a fun, loving and engaging nature, incredibly talented, naturally witty - and exploited by everyone around her.  Very sad story.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The Anissa Jones story very interesting. For all of these years I was under the assumption she was a drug addict and committed suicide.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the Judy Garland one was interesting as well as the Richard Pryor one. I always thought he caught on fire accidentially while freebasing, I didn't know he did it on purpose. I'm trying to watch the Kurt Cobain one. I don't know if it's difficult for me to watch because it was suicide or because I still remember where I was and what I doing when I heard. Or if it's because I think Courtney Love is a disgusting skank and isn't being portrayed as one on the show.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw the. Natalie Wood episode. The evidence to me points to Robert Wagner killing her. He must have switched out her pills, which made her confused. Then they got into the fight which the boatswain later came out in 2011 to confess. It was a crime a passion, a fight turned physical. She slipped, fell, and either she landed in the water or he pushed her in the water. The LA county legal system must be in the pocket of Hollywood to not have even looked at Wagner as a possible suspect. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

She didnt end up in the water "accidentally" given her fear of water/drowning. It all seems like a lot of alcohol, jealousy over a beautiful woman by 2 men vying for Natalie's attention. We will never  know the truth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well the last few have been interesting but nothing really new.

Mindy Mccready-sound like she had mental issues long before the fame and the parents ignored it.

Marvin Gaye-Another abusive situation. Wonder if the dad was as abusive to the other kids. Then they throw in him being a cross dresser. What? Weird but that didn't really have anything to do with anything else. Mother useless. 

Mary Tyler Moore-The fact that she lived as long as she did is amazing. Of course pneumonia takes her out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought it was very strange to do an episode about Mary Tyler Moore considering they didn't do an autopsy.  WTF?  Dr. Hunter acted like it was breaking news that she had diabetes.  By the same token, her life was interesting and I enjoyed learning more about her.  

Mindy McCready was a nutjob.  I had no idea she was that cray cray.  So sad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Saw the Farrah Fawcett one and it made me sad.  It sounds like had she agreed to chemo and a colostomy bad earlier she could have lived longer.  Good gosh even with an almost bald head that woman was gorgeous.  FF made some decisions (flying home too soon after Germany, refusing chemo ) that were her decisons, and I support those decisions as they are HERS, but man......I wish she was still around.  I totally get the hair thing - I am a little weird about my hair too but faced with cancer? 

Mindy McCready - mental issues, unbalanced and throw drinking and drug abuse in there....yowser.  Surprised she lived as long as she did.

On 7/27/2017 at 5:33 PM, cynicat said:

The Anissa Jones story very interesting. For all of these years I was under the assumption she was a drug addict and committed suicide.  

Anissa Jones was so sad - I remember when she died and it was one of the first "Child Star Deaths" and it was so shocking.  Her body was so pumped full of drugs!!!  Her family was MESSED. UP.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Marvin Gaye was a suicide by murder. He was such a troubled man, it's the one biography that I can't read. 

 

The Farrah Fawcett episode made me cry. Not because I was a big fan. I wasn't. Just watching her suffer was heartbreaking. I understand her not wanting to lose her hair, nor wanting a colostomy bag, but it was still heartbreaking to watch. Ryan O'Neal sucks

 

My DVR didn't record Mindy's episode. Her family says that Harvey W. raped her and they alluded to him having her killed. They do not believe that she committed suicide. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2018 at 3:45 PM, Queena said:

Marvin Gaye was a suicide by murder. He was such a troubled man, it's the one biography that I can't read. 

 

The Farrah Fawcett episode made me cry. Not because I was a big fan. I wasn't. Just watching her suffer was heartbreaking. I understand her not wanting to lose her hair, nor wanting a colostomy bag, but it was still heartbreaking to watch. Ryan O'Neal sucks

 

My DVR didn't record Mindy's episode. Her family says that Harvey W. raped her and they alluded to him having her killed. They do not believe that she committed suicide. 

Bolding mine:  most families do not want to believe their loved one killed themselves.  Mindy was a hot mess and her family was.....odd.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2018 at 7:48 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Bolding mine:  most families do not want to believe their loved one killed themselves.  Mindy was a hot mess and her family was.....odd.

Marvin Gaye was a suicide by murder. He was such a troubled man, it's the one biography that I can't read. 

 

The Farrah Fawcett episode made me cry. Not because I was a big fan. I wasn't. Just watching her suffer was heartbreaking. I understand her not wanting to lose her hair, nor wanting a colostomy bag, but it was still heartbreaking to watch. Ryan O'Neal sucks

 

My DVR didn't record Mindy's episode. Her family says that Harvey W. raped her and they alluded to him having her killed. They do not believe that she committed suicide. 

Where's the Mindy episode? 

 

The Mana Cass episode made me cry. Aww man. How sad. RIP Mama Cass. I'm so happy to see that her daughter grew up just fine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The Mana Cass episode made me cry. Aww man. How sad. RIP Mama Cass. I'm so happy to see that her daughter grew up just fine. 

Gee, John Phillips was an asshole!! Shocker!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Gee, John Phillips was an asshole!! Shocker!!

He really, really, really, really, really, was. No one's getting fatter except for Mama Cass? Where is that asshole? 

 

I'm pleasantly plump, and this just really hurt my feelings. I can't imagine how hard it was to be overweight in the 60's and 70's. From the worrying of your manager paying boyfriends, to the horrible clothing (ok, they were the style then, but they don't hold up well), to the humiliation that she went through trying to support her child, and then the lies after her death. I can Wikipedia, but Wilson and Philips, I remember them, what do they have to do with the Mama's and the papa's? 

 

How do I request a episode? Phyllis Hyman is someone I would love to learn more about. I can't afford to buy the rare biography on her, and her suicide is tragic to me. She also battled with her weight. Does anyone else remember Phyllis Hyman? Soul singer in the 70's and the 80's? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Queena said:

He really, really, really, really, really, was. No one's getting fatter except for Mama Cass? Where is that asshole? 

 

I'm pleasantly plump, and this just really hurt my feelings. I can't imagine how hard it was to be overweight in the 60's and 70's. From the worrying of your manager paying boyfriends, to the horrible clothing (ok, they were the style then, but they don't hold up well), to the humiliation that she went through trying to support her child, and then the lies after her death. I can Wikipedia, but Wilson and Philips, I remember them, what do they have to do with the Mama's and the papa's? 

 

How do I request a episode? Phyllis Hyman is someone I would love to learn more about. I can't afford to buy the rare biography on her, and her suicide is tragic to me. She also battled with her weight. Does anyone else remember Phyllis Hyman? Soul singer in the 70's and the 80's? 

I think the "phillips" girl (China?) in Wilson and Phillips is the daughter of the other female singer (michelle?) in the Mamas and papas. My uncertainty in my comments is  glaring! LOL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I think the "phillips" girl (China?) in Wilson and Phillips is the daughter of the other female singer (michelle?) in the Mamas and papas. My uncertainty in my comments is  glaring! LOL.

We can feed old John to the pigs. I'm going to have to read a book about Mama Cass and cry it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/23/2018 at 8:58 PM, Queena said:

We can feed old John to the pigs. I'm going to have to read a book about Mama Cass and cry it out. 

China Wilson is the daughter of Michelle Phillips and John, Wendy and Carnie Wilson are the daughters of Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

I can remember being old enough to remember when Mama Cass died, I thought it was terrible that the rumor of her choking on a ham sandwich passed as humor.  Even if she DID choke on food it is nothing to mock.  Gee.....an overweight WOMAN being made fun of, even in death?  No.......that never happens.......(insert eye roll here)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×