Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

Although it's understandable that Titus went for Bette Midler, 'From A Distance' is Nanci Griffith's song!! (Not that it's her best work, but it's hers!)

Kimmy's meeting with her Mum made me rather sad. I know she got what she needed in the end, but not what she wanted.

• Love 1

I was never a fan of Lillian, but this season made me actively dislike her. Her and her mouth full of marbles, I had to use subtitles just for her. 

I hope Dong's subplot was resolved for good and we'll never see him again. Kimmy needs a better LI.

I liked Tina Fey's character, but I think it would be better for Kimmy to get a new therapist (also, use group therapy, show! It could be a goldmine!)

• Love 2

So, I did have some problems with this season. I still think having Jane K being a Native American is a bit of a misstep (I suppose the outage about the Redskins was supposed to make up for it?), and the reaction to the reaction to it (making that whole episode showing all the people complaining about white washing as internet trolls) was pretty crappy, and I think that Lilian got rather repetitive this season, and Kimmy needs a better love interesting (if she needs one at all). That all being said...

I loved this season, and I rushed through it faster than I have for any show in ages. I thought the characters had more depth, the jokes were sharper, and I loved them digging more into Kimmys trauma. I really liked this, and I cannot wait for season three!

• Love 3

I was surprised Jacqueline had so much growth this season.  Though she is still obviously flawed.  Titus made some progress too and I loved his new relationship.

I am glad Kimmy is finally starting to deal with her issues while being a good person.

I was sad to see Xan go but enjoyed the introduction of Mimi and Deirdre.  

Lillian did get a little repetitive but it looks like she'll be running for office which will give her something to do. 

It was a pretty solid and funny season overall.  "The teeth are the boobs of the face."

• Love 3

It took a couple episodes, but by episode four I was in love with this season.

I especially liked that the two most self-involved characters (Titus and Jacqueline) truly fell in love. I adore Mikey, so I really hope he's back next season. I'm not in love with Russ, but I like the possibilities he brings to Jacqueline's storyline.

I'm still okay with the Native American stuff because I think the ridiculousness of Jane Krakowski playing a Lakota Sioux is part of the joke. Plus I love her parents so much. They are just nice people baffled by their idiot daughter.

This season felt more like an emsemble rather than just Kimmy's story, and I think that is a good thing. And it left with so much potential for next season - Lillian running for office, Titus and Jacqueline exploring their relationships, the door is wide open for Cyndee and Kimmy's mom to reappear, as well as Gretchen once her cult really starts to take off. And of course, we learn Kimmy still isn't completely free of The Reverend because they are married (I'm assuming by the Reverend, who got ordained by answering an ad in the back of Rollingstone a la Chris Stevens on Northern Exposure).

• Love 6

Once I saw that Kimmie and the Reverend got married, I understood why she beat the crap out of every man who tried to caress her, touch her, or even (god forbid) make love to her. She was only able to make love w/Dong when he was in handcuffs. I think next season we're going to be a bit saddened and maybe horrified at what the Reverend tried to do/did to Kimmie.

I was sad to see Xan go but enjoyed the introduction of Mimi and Deirdre.

I was ecstatic to see Xan go. I got WAY tired of her shtick in season 1.

Agree with you about Mimi and Deirdre, the latter is especially great.

The first episode REALLY threw me off. The way they opened with the flashforward with a lot of jokes that don't pay off until several episodes later. It felt very whiplash-y.

Once I saw that Kimmie and the Reverend got married, I understood why she beat the crap out of every man who tried to caress her, touch her, or even (god forbid) make love to her. She was only able to make love w/Dong when he was in handcuffs. I think next season we're going to be a bit saddened and maybe horrified at what the Reverend tried to do/did to Kimmie.

This show is so deceptively dark. It's like...a Jessica Jones coloring book. 

Kimmy's PTSD feels very authentic. I like that they're dealing with the very real ramifications of 15 years being held captive. A lesser show would have glossed over that and covered it up with the shiny veneer of UKS without the depth.

I LOVE Titus and Mikey. So much. Tituss and Mike (ha) have amazing chemistry and it's so nice to see Titus genuinely happy.

Tituss Burgess is the real MVP of this show. Just his...everything. His line readings, his facial expressions, he's comedic timing...everything is just so on point.

• Love 6

When Titus gave Mike his phone number? Oh so CUTE!!!!! I "awwww-ed" high pitched even.

What I keep coming back to is the fact that Kimmie was kidnapped when she was in middle school. That's 6-8th grade. She was at the oldest 13 or 14 and at the youngest 11 or 12. TWELVE. She's been in the Reverend's hands (and MARRIED to him!) since she was TWELVE!!!!!

Now that is horrifying. Please show, don't go there. Tell me he waited till she turned 18 first? Tell me Kimmie fought like a trooper and he never "defiled" her? PLEASE. I need this to be true.

The show does NOT need to go that dark. For realz.

• Love 1

I didn't like this season as much as the first. I like the show when it's about Kimmy, the rest I don't care for all that much. It felt like Kimmy, Titus, and Jacqueline were all off doing their own things and barely interacted, like it was 3 separate shows this season. Lillian also had too big of a role for me, she should be a minor character that says a crazy thing now and then and doesn't need her own plot line.

I wonder if the next season premiere will get pushed back due to Ellie Kemper's real-life pregnancy? It obviously wouldn't make sense for Kimmy to be pregnant right now. Though if any show could do something hilarious with big purses, couches, and whatever else to hide their lead actress's baby bump, it's this one.

I wonder if the next season premiere will get pushed back due to Ellie Kemper's real-life pregnancy? It obviously wouldn't make sense for Kimmy to be pregnant right now. Though if any show could do something hilarious with big purses, couches, and whatever else to hide their lead actress's baby bump, it's this one.

From what I've read, it shouldn't have too much of an effect. Apparently Tina Fey joked that Ellie is the best employee around because she timed her pregnancy perfectly so she would be showing the most while they were scheduled to be off from shooting anyway. I don't know when filming is scheduled to start, but she's due in August, and I'm guessing she's probably got enough time for a little bit of a maternity leave before they start back up again.

I'm already into a rewatch on this show, and because it is packed with wall-to-wall jokes, there's so much I miss the first time around. Like when Kimmy was teaching Titus to imagine people with their facial features upside down when you don't care about listening to what they are saying but you need to look interested, they flashback to her pretending to listen to the Reverend's dumb movie ideas, one of which he described this way: "The bad guys are plants, and Marky Mark is there." Then when Titus uses the trick while Mikey is talking about the planter he built for his "Nonno" (is that a common nickname for grandpa or something?), one of the plants in that planter Mikey listed off was a "mozzarella bush". Then Gretchen adopted the adult pitbull from the "Knuckle Beach Animal Rescue and BBQ" according to the shiny sticker letters on the side of the van (the "Knuckle Beach" bit is a 30 Rock reference. The "BBQ" bit is just disturbing).

And then I noticed that some of the themes were set up far earlier than I thought. Like later in the season it becomes clear that Titus craves appreciation and respect, but the seeds of that were planted right in the beginning of the season. And fittingly, Mikey was the first person to give it to him - all the way back in the second episode. When Mikey tells Titus he took his old clothes out of the dumpster because he thought they were beautiful (after everyone else rejected them, including the homeless man who would rather wear the plastic bag they came in), Titus thanks him, looks for a moment like he might issue one of his one-liners, but then pauses and instead thanks him again, with quite a bit of sincerity. Of course we see that again when Titus enjoyed playing mentor to the kid at the movie theater and when he wanted to jump in on Mikey's coming out because he had a speech on tolerance he'd been dying to deliver for 20 years (and when that didn't happen, Mikey found a different way for him to get his moment. Man, Mikey better be back next season. He's seriously the best).

I also noticed that both seasons opened on a Christmas scene that doesn't actually take place on Christmas. I think the door is open for that to happen again in the third season, with Kimmy's mom possibly showing up for the holiday. But I could see it happening on a different day because Kimmy's mom couldn't be bothered to actually show up on December 25th and/or they waited for Titus (who left to work on the cruise for four months around Thanksgiving, meaning he wouldn't be home until around late February/early March).

• Love 1

From what I've read, it shouldn't have too much of an effect. Apparently Tina Fey joked that Ellie is the best employee around because she timed her pregnancy perfectly so she would be showing the most while they were scheduled to be off from shooting anyway. I don't know when filming is scheduled to start, but she's due in August, and I'm guessing she's probably got enough time for a little bit of a maternity leave before they start back up again.

I'm already into a rewatch on this show, and because it is packed with wall-to-wall jokes, there's so much I miss the first time around. Like when Kimmy was teaching Titus to imagine people with their facial features upside down when you don't care about listening to what they are saying but you need to look interested, they flashback to her pretending to listen to the Reverend's dumb movie ideas, one of which he described this way: "The bad guys are plants, and Marky Mark is there." Then when Titus uses the trick while Mikey is talking about the planter he built for his "Nonno" (is that a common nickname for grandpa or something?), one of the plants in that planter Mikey listed off was a "mozzarella bush". Then Gretchen adopted the adult pitbull from the "Knuckle Beach Animal Rescue and BBQ" according to the shiny sticker letters on the side of the van (the "Knuckle Beach" bit is a 30 Rock reference. The "BBQ" bit is just disturbing).

Actually, just read today (or yesterday) that Season 3 will be delayed: http://www.avclub.com/article/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidts-third-season-will-take--235612. Partly because of Ellie's pregnancy but also because Tina's decided to focus most of her energy on her Broadway musical adaptation of Mean Girls.

To the bolded, "nonno" is Italian for "grandpa."

• Love 2

I loved all the guest stars, especially seeing Pacey and Phoebe. Lisa Kudrow looks nothing like Ellie Kemper but I'll go with it. 

I like when they remember Kimmie's PTSD. What happened to that solider that was played by Dr. Rapey from Mad Men? I liked him for Kimmie even though he had his own issues, he was still better than Dong. So Kimmie's married to the Reverend? She did say weird sex stuff happened to her in season 1. That's something she probably repressed.  

I enjoyed Anna Camp's character. She's great at playing insane. 

• Love 2

more focus on kimmy's pstd was in order...but I have to admit the episodes without Jacqueline made me realize I didn't miss the character and think the show could function well without the character.

I think kimmy is totally a.modern day phoebe...with her quirky outlook and ability to make up songs on the whim..just give her a guitar and we could have a Smelly cat part 2 :) And I think having lisa kudrow playing her mom was kind of an in joke as if they knew phoebe was the template for kimmy. regarding kimmy not resembling the mom...maybe she took after the dad?

I did a binge watch of this season and found most of it really really forced. There were times the music was so insistent, it reminded me of awful comedies that get a loud, overly-animated score to sort of cue the audience to laugh and to create fake energy in the scenes. I talked to a guy friend about Tina Fey's poop joke fixation. One episode had Jacqueline in silhouette in a golden field, and when it was pointed out she was lost and she started off in the right direction, she goes "Oh, I pooped over there" I knew immediately, before the opening credits, that Fey had written it. And as soon as Tina Fey joined as the shrink, there were 3-4 straight poop jokes as soon as her character got in the Uber car. I think eight in total in that episode. So I'm having mixed feelings. I know Tina Fey understands comedic rhythm, I loved 30 Rock, but like a lot of people who've done comedy forever, some of the schtick feels tired. Anyway, my guy friend said "Maybe she just thinks that stuff is funny - I do." and that made me feel better, instead of feeling distracted that Tina has a scat fixation. But it still throws me off. Too much of it.

Jacqueline/Jane Krakowski just don't fit in this show. I don't believe it. This is the type of show where the situations are farcical but core characters should be believable, and I don't believe her. Her comedy was perfect for an affected, narcissistic actress. So here they have her as a narcissistic ex-trophy wife, but I'm not feeling it and when she comes on screen the show drags. Her new love story with that guy is instant ff. Blech.

Also thought the writing for Kimmy was off. Too forced. I could predict the rhythm of everything she said - the reasonable tone of voice then the SHOUT. But, I agree that underpinning this is what could be a strong handling of a kidnapping/hostage experience; probably difficult to treat in a farce, but it's working for me so far. The framework is good, the actually dialogue and rhythm has been grating. So a lot of it feels mechanical. THIS is the rhythm of comic delivery. THIS is how you set up and pay-off a joke. Here's the human moment. Here's the comedy kicker to cut away from that moment and get back into the comedy for the show's tag.

Made of utter win is Mikey and Titus. Titus is the show's MVP, he and Mikey have great chemistry, Mike Carlsen plays Mikey to perfection, is 100% believable, and his line readings kill me. Such as explaining to his mom why he hasn't seen Theresa's baby (it's not born yet). "Actually that's a very good excuse."

I had my issues with this season, but if I have to be honest, I found it more interesting for me than last season. I can't describe why, but last season dragged too much and I honestly didn't think I'd want to watch this season. Yet I managed to get through season 2 in a couple of days and enjoyed it. 

Pros

1. Titus and Mikey's relationship. I guess Titus in general. I didn't like him in season 1 at all. I found him to be annoying most of the time and didn't like his behaviour. Now, this season, it took a couple of episodes and his relationship to make me like him. He became less self absorbed and cynical, and I think that helped. I loved the episode with the bedbugs piano and him singing throughout the fifth episode. I found that he became a better character this season, and I will say the character of Mikey helped. Plus, Mikey's a good guy and I enjoyed their chemistry together. I think I would be upset if Mikey left next season. He brings out the best in Titus and I'm afraid that if he leaves, I'll go back to not liking Titus. 

1b. Just Mikey in general, and I want to really mention this. He fast became my favourite character besides Kimmy, and even Kimmy grated on me at times (which is completely different from season 1). Keep Mikey forever! My favourite subplot this season was the meet the family one. 

2. Lillian. Ok, she had her own issues like her repetition, but I loved each of her one liners. Her relationship with Kimmy was strengthened, and I enjoyed it. 

3. Random cameos. I just love seeing actors that I recognize appear in a one off. I think Joshua Jackson's cameo made me laugh the hardest. Him being a Pacey fan made me laugh too, because it made me genuinely wonder if this was just Joshua Jackson playing a meta fictionalized version of himself. 

4. The music. Honestly, every single musical joke they inserted worked well. I laughed at all of them. Very entertaining.

5. The flashbacks. I do think that having minimal flashbacks this season worked well. They needed to have more last season to explain things, but toning it down to quick flashbacks in each episode was good. I didn't feel overwhelmed.

6. The display of Kimmy's PTSD. It was set up very well over the season, and I love how it closed off the season. I do think she needs a different therapist, but it worked very well. I felt like there was serious progression with Cyndee and her and that set off her complete breakdown. Also, I like Cyndee the best out of the other bunker girls and she would be someone who I wouldn't mind seeing more of. 

7. Anna Camp's character. She was a perfect comedic character. She epitomized the crazy WASP mother with a severe mental breakdown and obsession over Jacqueline's life falling apart yet wanting to embody her. They didn't miss a beat with her and even if the writing failed her, Anna Camp made it work. I can't imagine any other actress who would have been able to pull off this insane character. 

Cons

1. Dong. I do think him being around is a negative. I predict he'll be back next season, deported or not. I just didn't feel his relationship with Kimmy. I bought it a little more in season 1. I just feel like, if anything, Dong's just a way to get Kimmy to move past her traumas and figure out her own life. He was also a jerk for most of this season. It wasn't that he was honest in trying to get Kimmy to back off so she wouldn't be hurt down the road, but he was very abrasive about it and it turns out he likes Kimmy anyway. I think if he hadn't have gotten deported, he would have messed things up by sleeping with Kimmy and it would have been worse for her. 

2. Jacqueline. Yes, I think she lost her way this season. I loved her last season, even with her life falling apart. But this season seemed to either be addressing the Native American angle, or a new romance for her. I LOVE David Cross. I don't really know Jane Krakowski's work at all, as I never watched 30 Rock, but I do think she's a great actress. The material just failed her this season, and I found myself not missing her in the several episodes she did miss. I still enjoyed her scenes with Kimmy and I did laugh at her episode with Buckley, but I didn't enjoy her as much as I did in season 1. And with this new romance? I'm not quite sure if I'm going to like it. I am glad she has more humanistic qualities, but I don't know if I like her as much.

3. Mimi. That character is annoying as hell. She's too much of a caricature. Much like Anna Camp's character, but Mimi takes it too over the top and it doesn't work. 

4. Tina Fey. Ok, her therapist role is better than the lawyer role, but I still didn't love it. The jokes with her ran dry quite quickly for me. I didn't mind the idea, but the execution wasn't fantastic. 

5. TOO many infestation jokes about Kimmy/Titus/Lillian's area. I get it, the place is disgusting and supposedly not livable. I don't want to hear about it in every scene that takes place there. Some of the jokes were good (the bedbug piano thing made me laugh hard), but I just wanted them to deliver new jokes.

Overall, I enjoyed it more than season 1. Season 1 dragged on too much for me, if I remember correctly. But I do think that they have kinks to work out for season 3. 

On April 20, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Kostgard said:

I'm already into a rewatch on this show, and because it is packed with wall-to-wall jokes, there's so much I miss the first time around. Like when Kimmy was teaching Titus to imagine people with their facial features upside down when you don't care about listening to what they are saying but you need to look interested, they flashback to her pretending to listen to the Reverend's dumb movie ideas, one of which he described this way: "The bad guys are plants, and Marky Mark is there." 

Did you hear the ideas before he said that one??  I really cracked up at this.  He started off saying "and he was a ghost the whole time... and there was a village that seemed to be from old times but isn't....the bad guys are plants, and Marky Mark is there..."

He's talking about all of M Night Shalyman's movies!  The ideas sound preposterous, yet they are actual movies.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/1/2016 at 7:01 PM, heatherchandler said:

Did you hear the ideas before he said that one??  I really cracked up at this.  He started off saying "and he was a ghost the whole time... and there was a village that seemed to be from old times but isn't....the bad guys are plants, and Marky Mark is there..."

He's talking about all of M Night Shalyman's movies!  The ideas sound preposterous, yet they are actual movies.

I did catch those! I also caught a couple other things - like in episode 9 when Titus goes to "Radio Barn" to buy a tape tower, he stops and looks at some TVs, and on the TV is a news story about the roller coaster in Orlando where Kimmy has the showdown with her mom. Then today I ran across a screen grab someone made of Kimmy's learner permit, and her middle name is "Cougar." Because of course 1985 Lori-Ann Schmidt would name her daughter after John Cougar Mellencamp.

More than a year's wait for season three, but I'm already building my wishlist. I would like to see Anna Camp's character back and a foil for Jacqueline. Russ can die from a foot nipple hemorrhage and leave all his money to Jacqueline. It was nice to see Jacqueline fall in love, but it didn't feel as lovely as Titus doing the same thing, so I don't think he is necessary. I used to want Dong back, but thinking on it now, I think that one has run its course. It feels like Kimmy would eventually outgrow him (it wasn't that deep of a relationship - she never told even told him about the bunker and was still making excuses for her odd behavior/pop culture knowledge in their last episode together). I wouldn't mind if Keith popped up again because at least he recognized that Kimmy was had gone through something traumatic and could identify with that, but it's okay if he doesn't. We can explore more about Kimmy's marriage to the Reverend and they dropped another juicy tidbit by revealing that Kimmy is a product of a random hookup in a Ruby Tuesday's bathroom and she doesn't know who her father is (only that his name starts with an "S" or a "5" - I'm assuming she gleaned that from the bathroom graffiti, but couldn't make out that first letter). That can  be explored.

But my must-haves for season three are: more Mikey. He's the best. I love what he brings out in Titus, and it is nice to explore the human side of Titus through this lovely relationship. And I hope we see Mikey's family again - more Pupazza! And I wonder if after he's become more immersed in the gay culture/community Mikey figures out that Lance is a super-gay name and he realizes he might not be the only gay member of his family. 

And we must, MUST see the Reverend as "Little Lisa" in a flashback. More from "Daddy's Boy" is also required.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 1

This season left me feeling like they should cut out a lot of the characters. Jacqueline, Lillian, and Gretchen are not that interesting and are often annoying and unfunny. It would be interesting to me to see Kimmy get a social circle that she actually selected because she enjoys their company. Jacqueline, Lillian, and Gretchen are only her "friends" because she met them when she was in situations where she had little choice in deciding who to socialize with. And Lillian and Jacqueline actively took advantage of her. It would be nice to see Kimmy get some female friends around her own age who she can actually be on equal footing with. Cyndee is the closest thing, but she's still tied to the bunker-era of Kimmy's life. I suppose that would change the whole tone of the show, so it's not a good suggestion; but I'm just not really enjoying this show as much as I did the first season and I'm not really sure why. I think this season was just as funny as the first one, but I just hoped for more story development.

I also would like Kimmy to have a better romantic interest. It would be funny if they stole an idea from Bojack Horseman and have her meet a man that just woke up from a 15 year coma. They can bond over their lack of current pop culture knowledge and the struggle of "losing" the formative years between 15 and 30.

I am through ten episodes so far this season and really feel like its a letdown. 

Its interesting the direction they have turned, but really I just don't find the episodes that funny

I find Lillian to be a waste.  I don't find much of what she says funny or interesting. 

Titus and Mikey is the highlight of the season.  But even then, I knew as soon as the episode started with Mikey coming out to his family that the "twist" would likely be his family will be fine with it.  Did not like Titus song that episode. 

I did like the songs remade from other songs. 

Jacqueline was not that interesting and her plots seemed forced. 

Many of the jokes and set ups seemed forced and over the top. 

I am finishing out the season, but mostly I think its been disappointing.  It had its moments, even some great ones, but they were just too few and far between. 

• Love 1

Well I finished the season and haven't changed my opinion. 

Not nearly as funny as season one. 

Kimmie's confrontation with her mom was a letdown.  Let her off way too easy.  I get the point, she can't change the past, but still, just didn't find it that funny or interesting. 

I did like the ISIS joke in the last episode.  Much of it was just too few and far between though. 

(edited)

I thought that this season was great. Yeah, the first few episodes did feel a bit flat but I thought that once they got over the Christmas part, things picked up. 

I love seeing Jackie's parents and I wish that they were in this more. Also, David Cross is always good in whatever he does and he plays loveable losers so well. Seeing the Dyziplen storyline was also great to see and I loved it when Tina Fey's character was wearing a shirt with the exact same drug's name on it. 

I enjoyed Tina Fey in this one as the alcoholic therapist. It literally seemed like she played not one but two different characters; one that is sober (day version) and one that was drunk and wild (night version). 

Seeing Kimmy's mom was interesting and now we have to see who is Kimmy's real dad. 

I love the lawyer that was named O'prah  (I didn't get that till I put on the closed caption and saw how it was spelled) and I also loved seeing how anti-gentrification Lillian was was funny.

Kimmy having a paying job was different I liked her as an Uber driver (and, IMO, driving in NYC is a hassle, to say the least). 

Seeing Titus getting an acting gig, and seeing his one-man show was pretty sweet and of course, he would've bailed on gig if it wasn't for that fat astronaut in the dinner. Another thing that I thought was great was seeing Titus date Joey and also meeting Joey's family (the grandmother freaked me out and made me laugh). 

The only part that I didn't like/didn't get was the Fred Armisen parts. I can't figure out what he was supposed to be. Was he an old flame of Lillian's or was he supposed to be just a random tourist?

Edited by TVSpectator
16 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

The only part that I didn't like/didn't get was the Fred Armisen parts. I can't figure out what he was supposed to be. Was he an old flame of Lillian's or was he supposed to be just a random tourist?

Fred Armisen's character was an old flame of Lillian's, but he was also supposed to be Robert Durst, serial murderer and subject of the HBO documentary series The Jinx.

(edited)

I really liked how they developed Titus this season (I was nervous though based on how selfish he was at the beginning of the season.), and I'm totally on board for him and Mikey.

I like Dong (hehe) more than most people, and I'm fine with Kimmy sleeping with him. But I don't know that I'll miss him much either.

I don't like Jacqueline's stories on her only. I think she's best when she's interacting with Kimmy. I don't mind her falling in love with David Cross's character, but the Washington football team arc came out of nowhere. I hope they can do a good job with it next season, because that word is vile and the team owner deserves to be trashed for not changing it.

I also don't really care for Lillian, especially on her own. She's fine when she's interacting with Titus, I guess.

Also agree with others that Tina's character this season is way better than last season. I didn't like the trial scenes at all.

Curious to see how they make a big deal out of her being married to the Reverend. 1) She was forced to marry him under duress, so it's not valid. 2) He wants a divorce, and I'm sure she does too, so what's the big deal? The only thing I can think is that he's somehow going to sue for alimony or something. But she doesn't really have money... I don't know.

And finally, I love Fred Armisen, but the Robert Durst character really didn't work for me. Nothing he said was funny, whether you read him as Durst or just some weirdo she used to date.

Edited by April Bloodgate
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Fred Armisen's character was an old flame of Lillian's, but he was also supposed to be Robert Durst, serial murderer and subject of the HBO documentary series The Jinx.

I know that Lillian made multiple references to dating Durst but I never figured out that Fred Armisen was supposed to be him. 

Finally finished the season this weekend. Overall, I liked it better than season 1. I absolutely loved the way they handled Kimmy's PTSD and it felt more authentic to me than the love triangle stuff from season 1. I would love to see Sam Page come back as the soldier. I thought he had some real chemistry with Ellie Kemper.

Totally agree with everyone who has said Lillian is unnecessary. SHe's just very one-note to me and it's not a note I particularly like. the Fred Armisen as Robert Durst thing stopped being funny after the first episode. It was just a bit that got run into the ground.

I am fully aboard the Titus/Mikey train. They are amazing together and I will be devastated if he doesn't come back next season.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wonder if they're going to directly confront the sexual trauma Kimmy experienced in the bunker now that they're going to have to get into this "marriage" to the reverend. They've always alluded to it, but obviously a little more this season with her reaction to intimacy with Dong, and then finally I think Lisa Kudrow was the first person to actually bring up the word "rape" in the last episode, when mentioning why men kidnap women.

I know Tina Fey has said that she wants the show to still be appropriate for young girls to watch and everything, but it does seem like they're going to have to confront that eventually, since they do take the bunker experience and its effects seriously, in a way.

Edited by ruby24
On 27/05/2016 at 11:34 PM, ruby24 said:

I wonder if they're going to directly confront the sexual trauma Kimmy experienced in the bunker now that they're going to have to get into this "marriage" to the reverend. They've always alluded to it, but obviously a little more this season with her reaction to intimacy with Dong, and then finally I think Lisa Kudrow was the first person to actually bring up the word "rape" in the last episode, when mentioning why men kidnap women.

I know Tina Fey has said that she wants the show to still be appropriate for young girls to watch and everything, but it does seem like they're going to have to confront that eventually, since they do take the bunker experience and its effects seriously, in a way.

THIS. I did binge watch the two seasons in three days and I think I will be back to season 3 when I see myself stuck at home in a boring weekend, but, honestly? For me it was incridibly disturbing that the kidnapping of four women, three of them minors at the time, was never adressed in the show for what it really is: abuse/rape. They keep hitting the "you stole 15 years of my life", which is one of the biggest nightmares ever, , but I felt they did a disservice ignoring that.

Tina wants the show to still be appropriate for young girls? Sorry, but this one is not. I have nieces who are 8, 11 and 13 (I know) years old, and I don't think it is appropriate for any of them to watch a show where a character remembers scrapping a man's sperm from the airplane toilet sp she could get pregnant and marry him, all the while trying to get another rich man  - by getting pregnant again. Not to mention all the other sexual stuff the show drops right and left (Russ calling his hand his girlfriend, all Titus lines about his sex life), which are not appropriate at all, so why not adress properly the rape/abuse issue and call it for what really is? Sorry, Tina, you can't have your cake and eat it too. It is almost criminal to not talk about it when rape is rampant, and, as we all recently saw, you can rape an uncouncious girl and get only six months in jail #rapistnotswimmer

Here hoping the scene between Lisa Kudrow and Ellie Camper is foreshadowing a proper discussion next season, and that Jon Hamm's lunatic is pictured for the criminal he is. 

I had never seen Ellie Camper's works so this was my first time watching her acting. She is good, but she is a very physical actress, isn't she? I wish it was toned down sometimes, all the facial maneirisms were distractin. I imagine they are saving some emotional good honest tears scene for another season, the breakdown scene that still has to come - hoping it is less big/loud and more subtle.

I don't mind Kimmy, she is okay most of the time, but Kimmy trying to fix her friends lives and make them "better" people got old very fast. Let Jacqueline remains married to a cheating ass, let Cyndee marry a gay man. There is a line between opening people's eyes and pushing them to do what *you* want and think is better for them. It was patronizing and, were this show a drama, someone would have called her on her bullshit saying "and what do you know about life after 15 years locked in a buncker?". Kimmy's quest for love and a normal life, on the other way, was wonderful, but I was surprised they didn't throw in some real life stuff that by all means should be there, like, say, September 11? She is in New York, after all. I also liked how they developped her PTSD plot and we are (maybe) going to towards a season where the horror of what was done to her is finally in the open and confronted - and named for what it was.

I too was expecting more from the metting with the mother. Lisa Kudrow didn't age well, did she? Anyway, mommy was selfish and horrible and very much behaved in a 17 year old way mentality, and Kimmy left her walk away too 'easy'. I wonder how many rollercoaster rides were needed to shoot those scenes. 

I cannot stand Titus. He is so selfish and he got only a tiny better in season 2, thanks to and only to Mike, who makes him tolerable and I hope stays around for a long time. I wanted to throw things on my TV when Titus managed to have his big monologue the day Mike came out to his family. The whole episode highlighted everything that is wrong with Titus, IMO, he needs to be the center of all attention and needs to be that when he wants. Would have hurt him to suck it up and let Mike have a nice day with folks without going all 'I didn't have my comming out of the closet moment, I'm going to wander and sulk all by myself'? As if in all his New York years he never had a chance to speechfy the word's unfairness.

I'm ok with Jacqueline because Jane K makes all her dumbness and life smatness mix in a wonderful way and her pain seems genuine. But as a character she needs more scenes with Kimmy, otherwise it feels a little lost. I swear I was hopping she and Deirdre would hook up, that would have been hilarious to watch. Anna Van Camp is just wonderful. I would like to see more of Jacqueline and his son. Russ is ok.

Lilian became an one note character, but I have hope. I loved every single punch at hipsterdom, but I wish they had moved her plot along faster because she has so much potential.  

Mimi is a waste of time, and should not return.

The cute veteran can come back.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dong back, and differently than many I don't think he was a horrible person. Ki Hong lee is only six years younger than Ellie Camper, and it looks like even more  screen; Dong looks so much younger than Kimmy and irks me to no end, to my own surprise, since he is an adult and all.

I like Tina's therapist, it was awesome.

Word to whoever said there are too many poop jokes in this show. Enough with these.

On 4/28/2016 at 8:41 PM, Lady Calypso said:

3. Random cameos. I just love seeing actors that I recognize appear in a one off. I think Joshua Jackson's cameo made me laugh the hardest. Him being a Pacey fan made me laugh too, because it made me genuinely wonder if this was just Joshua Jackson playing a meta fictionalized version of himself. 

Wonder no more. Because Joshua Jackson very much loves Pacey: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa34df6f44/pacey-con-with-joshua-jackson?_cc=__d___&_ccid=38a09f32-e75c-493e-ab30-8c0036f62940