Type keyword(s) to search

The Avatar Series

Traveller519
  • Start Topic

So apparently this is actually happening now.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cinemacon-james-cameron-announces-four-884060

The Avatar Sequel is coming out in 2018, 9 years after the initial release, then Avat3r in 2020, Av4tar in 2022, and aVatar in 2023 (note all titles are my own).

I can't see the big appeal for this. The big selling point on Avatar was that someone had finally figured out how to make 3D really work. The movie itself was pretty meh. Is there enough world building there to make a franchise/cinematic universe?

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 1

Why? Just why? The story ended fine how it did. Stop the sequels.

I literally got dragged to the first movie and I hated it. It was basically a complete rip off of Fern Gully. At least Fern Gully had Tim Curry going for it.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

I will totally admit to not immediately clicking that link and mistakenly believing that this thread referred to a new series of Airbender movies (that other Avatar movie that we all pretend never happened). I had a fleeting moment of hope that someone was going to do that movie the right way and finish out all four of the "books" from the series. Now I am not sure if I should be relieved or disappointed that this refers instead to what appears to be an unnecessary continuation of a story that felt well finished the first time around.

• Love 1

Ava2ar? For the first sequel, anyway :)

I wonder if this is in any way related to Disney World's expansion of their Animal Kingdom theme park to include an Avatar Land. It seems like the perfect opportunity to cross-promote, and I thought it was weird as hell that Disney would be making a whole themed land based on a one-shot movie that nobody really cares about anymore. I believe the Avatar Land (whatever they're calling it) will open in 2017-2018.

• Love 1

I actually like the first movie and sometimes stop to watch a few minutes when it's on TV (of course there is never anything better on). I think it was an entertaining stand alone story. Sure it wasn't completely original, but so what. I will agree that a lot of what made the movie was the special effects at the time. It doesn't need 1 sequel let alone 3. I'm not even sure what is left to tell. The "bad guys" come back again... which is really boring or new people come but that's not that great either. And given the time that has passed since the first one, I feel like there wouldn't be much interest among the average audience.

I watched this for the first time last night. From a world-building point of view, it was beautiful -- the shots of the sky, with the gas giant and other moons were especially beautiful -- even if the creatures inhabiting the world and their evolution don't make sense. 

But good lord, the symbolism was so heavy-handed: WHITE MEN BAD. INDIGENOUS PEOPLE GOOD. And, of course, the white savior who goes native to save the "savages."

Stephen Lang is hot, though.

Disney at CinemaCon 2022: The Latest Film Updates on ‘Avatar 2,’ ‘Lightyear,’ ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,’ and More
by Michelle Snow    April 27, 2022
https://thedisneyblog.com/2022/04/27/disney-at-cinemacon-2022-the-latest-film-updates-on-avatar-2-lightyear-black-panther-wakanda-forever-and-more/ 

Rounding out Disney’s presentation at CinemaCon 2022 was the highly anticipated “Avatar 2″…or “Avatar: The Way of the Water,” as it’s now known by.

Producer Jon Landau first said they will be re-releasing the original “Avatar” in theaters around the world on September 23, 2022, with remastered picture and sound.

According to Landau, the four planned sequels will be about Jake and Nyteri’s family — each a standalone film but part of a greater connected epic saga.

Actors Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Sigourney Weaver, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, Dileep Rao, CCH Pounder, and Matt Gerald are all returning, joining new cast including Kate Winslet, Cliff Curtis, Edie Falco, Michelle Yeoh, and Vin Diesel.

“Avatar: The Way of the Water” will release in 160 languages worldwide starting December 14, and be released in the U.S. on December 16, 2022.

It will also will have more versions than any movie ever when it arrives in theaters, including high resolution, high frame rates, 3D, IMAX, PLF, and different sound systems like Dolby.

Then James Cameron gave a special message on screen from Wellington, NZ where he’s shooting, just for the CinemaCon audience, introducing an exclusive first look at the 3D teaser trailer.

If you weren’t at CinemaCon, the teaser trailer will next be shown only in theaters, in front of “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” showings for the first week of release.

Star Wars, Avatar, Marvel… Disney's Updated Release Schedule Is Here
Jeremy Konrad   April 27, 2022
https://bleedingcool.com/movies/updated-disney-release-schedule-avatar-star-wars-marvel-studios/

9/23/22 20th AVATAR (Re-release) 
12/16/22 20th AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER 
12/20/24 20th AVATAR 3 
12/18/26 20th AVATAR 4 
12/22/28 20th AVATAR 5

Edited by tv echo

I wonder if Sam Worthington has learned how to be interesting on screen yet. That more than anything will determine my opinion. Don't just chuck some boring and forgettable no-presence bozo in there. There have to be a thousand good actors out there who need a chance to show their stuff.

I'm always sad when I have to be mean about a fellow West Aussie, but sometimes it needs to be done.

‘Avatar 2’ Star Sam Worthington Talks ‘Mind-Blowing and Marvelous’ Sequel
By Carson Burton, Marc Malkin   Apr 28, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-2-sam-worthington-1235253469/

It’s been 13 years since Sam Worthington starred as Jake Sully in James Cameron’s “Avatar,” and this week, the first look at its sequel was unveiled.

“When I did the first one, I was 30,” Worthington, now 45, told Variety while promoting his new FX true crime series “Under the Banner of Heaven.” “And when the second one comes out, I’m gonna be pushing 50. In the first one I was in a wheelchair, you know. And by the time we get to the fourth and fifth, I might actually be in a wheelchair by the time we get to do it.”
“It’s great to be a part of such an amazing family and have that longevity,” Worthington added. “Jim is a very loyal man and he keeps the same people on board, but I’m a very small cog in this. There’s a big creative team behind it, and from what I’ve seen, it’s mind-blowing and marvelous what they’re coming up with.”

The second installment of Cameron’s massive series is set to showcase an underwater vision for the world of the Na’vi. Taking place more than a decade after the events of the first film, “Avatar: The Way of Water” comes back to the Sully family and the trouble that follows them.

Edited by tv echo

Though Avatar crushed the box-office back in 2009, I wonder if it’s been too long to follow up with a sequel? It’s been 13 years. A lot has changed about entertainment and how we view it. Though I really enjoyed the movie back in the day. Mainly due to the groundbreaking technology used in it. It really wasn’t worth rewatch unless you could watch in IMAX 3-D, but I digress. It’ll be interesting to see how many people are still interested in this. I’d be very surprised if it manages to make even half the money the first movie made. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Avatar 2 Gets Record-Breaking Long Runtime (Theater Listing)
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal    October 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/avatar-2-runtime-record-listing 

According to a listing from Monterey Lounge Cinema in New Zealand, Avatar: The Way of the Water has a runtime of 190 minutes (3 hours and 10 minutes), making it the longest runtime for a widely released theatrical film in 2022. 
When talking about the Avatar sequel's lengthy runtime during an interview with Empire (via People), director James Cameron pointed out that he doesn't want to hear any complaints about it, noting that fans have binge-watched TV shows "for eight hours:"

“I don’t want anybody whining about length when they sit and binge-watch [television] for eight hours. It’s like, give me a f-----g break. I’ve watched my kids sit and do five one-hour episodes in a row. Here’s the big social paradigm shift that has to happen: It’s okay to get up and go pee."

Here’s the big social paradigm shift that has to happen: It’s okay to get up and go pee.

So is there an intermission? Also, I'm not a binge-watch person. One episode a day, these days. Maybe two, with a couple of hours break in the middle.

While I have the time to go see the latest blockbuster the moment it's out, I don't have the desire to see Avatar straight away. It's this attitude combined with a lackluster first movie that's offputting. I'll wait for reviews.

The difference between binge watching and going to a movie is that you do the binging at home which means that you can pause it to take a bathroom break or get a snack whenever you want. When you go to a movie theatre you can only go to the bathroom or get a snack during the scheduled intermission if you don't want to miss anything. And you have to get in line with everybody else.

• Love 4

Dec. 1...

Google translation:

The highest-grossing sequel in history couldn't be missing from #DisneyNaCCXP , right? The iconic Zoë Saldaña and producer Jon Landau will take over the Thunder by Cinemark Club Stage to tell you everything we want to know about Avatar: The Path of Water #CCXP22💙 

CCXP22, December 1-4, 2022 (São Paulo, Brazil)
Jon Landau, Zoe Saldana
https://www.ccxp.com.br/en/lineup 

Edited by tv echo

From CCXP22 (São Paulo, Brazil) yesterday...

CCXP 2022 Day 1 Recap: Highlights and Trailers
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - December 1, 2022
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/ccxp-2022-day-one-recap-panels-trailers-highlights-brazil-comic-con/ 

In her first trip to Brazil, Avatar star Zoe Saldana joined series producer Jon Landau on stage to present an exclusive, extended sneak peek at Avatar: The Way of Water (in theaters December 16th). While the nearly 20 minutes of footage was screened only for the convention crowd, Saldana and Landau participated in a post-panel discussion about the triumphs and tribulations of shooting the James Cameron-directed sequel underwater. 

"It was the new set of challenges that Jim presented to us. In the first Avatar, it was archery and horseback riding and learning how to become a Na'vi and speak like a Na'vi," Saldana said. "The second time around, we had the opportunity to refresh everything that we had learned, and then he presented a new set of challenges that were almost unimaginable."

The cast, which includes Sam Worthington's return as Jake Sully, needed to "learn to free dive," Saldana added. "Not just perform five feet underwater — 30 feet underwater. And obviously, it's James Cameron. You're not going to say no."
Saldana also teased what's facing Jake and Neytiri's clan, which includes their children Neteyam (Jamie Flatters), Lo'ak (Britain Dalton), Tuktirey "Tuk" (Trinity Jo-Li Bliss), and Kiri (Sigourney Weaver).

"The thought of losing something that you love more than you love yourself is unimaginable. So that sort of fear has entered Jake and Neytiri's realm," Saldana said. "But these children are mighty, they're just magnificient, because they are of Neytiri and of Jake. So we're going to get to experience Pandora through their eyes, and we're going to do everything for the very first time as they're doing it for the very first time, and it's very beautiful."

Edited by tv echo

Avatar 2 Reviews: Critics Share Strong Reactions to Sequel
By Klein Felt     December 6, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/avatar-2-reviews-critics-sequel 

These first reactions are glowing nearly across the board. The film's visuals in particular are a point of emphasis seen in almost every initial review. 

But this movie was always going to be beautiful. That has been evident in every second of the movie shown so far. Cameron has made a career of pushing the very visual boundaries of the medium. What is encouraging to hear is that the film's story works as well.

The word "thin" was used a couple of times in relation to the sequel's story, but never is it called outright bad, boring, or derivative. And most that complained about the narrative made it a point to mention the "emotional" and "extraordinary" final act found in the film.

Narrative depth has never been Cameron's strong suit. With a few exceptions, he has been a blockbuster filmmaker who has thrived on spectacle. This eye-candy approach has yielded stunning results though, as Cameron looks to have crafted yet another hit with Avatar 2. 

• Love 1

I rewatched it over the weekend to prepare myself for Avatar 2 and it shocked me how well the movie still holds up. Also say what you like about Cameron but he knows how to write women. Neytiri. Grace. Trudy. Moat. All unique and uniquely badass.  In this era where I can see the “Strong Female Character” footnote in so many portrayals, it was kind of astonishing to watch women whose strength was just… part of the story? Like Quatritch and Grace’s antagonism didn’t have a “he’s also a chauvinist who looks down on intelligent women” text. It could be read as subtext if you wanted to but it wasn’t necessary to establish either of their characters or conflict. If that scene had been written today (or by someone else probably), there would have been a speech somewhere about how the Men weren’t listening to Grace because she was a woman. 

Anyway it was a very good time and I hope Avatar 2 lives up to the originals.

Way of Water got 6 IPA (International Press Academy) nominations - winners will be announced on Feb. 11...

IPA Reveals Nominations for the 27th Satellite™ Awards
December 8, 2022
https://www.pressacademy.com/news/ipa-reveals-nominations-for-the-27th-satellite-awards/
https://www.pressacademy.com/2022-nominees/ 

Motion Picture, Drama
Top Gun: Maverick
Living
The Fabelmans
Till
Women Talking
Tár
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Director
Baz Luhrmann    Elvis
James Cameron    Avatar: The Way of Water
Steven Spielberg    The Fabelmans
Joseph Kosinski    Top Gun: Maverick
Martin McDonagh    The Banshees of Inisherin
Sarah Polley    Women Talking
Cinematography
Claudio Miranda    Top Gun: Maverick
Linus Sandgren    Babylon
Roger Deakins    Empire of Light
Ben Davis    The Banshees of Inisherin
Russell Carpenter    Avatar: The Way of Water
Mandy Walker    Elvis
Sound (Editing and Mixing)
Al Nelson, James Mather, Mark Weingarten & Bjorn Schroeder    Top Gun: Maverick
Christopher Boyes, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, Dick Bernstein, Gary Summers, Michael Hedges & Julian Howarth    Avatar: The Way of Water
Steve Morrow, Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan & Andy Nelson    Babylon
David Lee, Wayne Pashley, Andy Nelson & Michael Keller        Elvis
Becky Sullivan, Kevin O’Connell, Tony Lamberti & Derek Mansvelt    The Woman King
Raghunath Kemisetty, Boloy Kumar Doloi & Rahul Karpe    RRR

Visual Effects
Ryan Tudhope, Scott R. Fisher, Seth Hill & Bryan Litson    Top Gun: Maverick
Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, Richie Baneham & Dan Barrett    Avatar: The Way of Water
Jay Cooper, Elia Popov, Kevin Martel & Ebrahim Jahromi    Babylon
Abishek Nair, Marko Chulev, Ivan Busquets & Steven Nichols    Good Night Oppy
Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands & Dominic Tuohu    The Batman
 V. Srinivas Mohan    RRR

Production Design
Sabu Cyril    RRR
Florencia Martin & Anthony Carlino    Babylon
Catherine Martin & Karen Murphy    Elvis
Dylan Cole & Ben Procter    Avatar: The Way of Water
Rick Carter    The Fabelmans
Juliana Barreto Barreto    A Love Song

Edited by tv echo

Way of Water got 2 Golden Globe nominations - winners will be announced on Jan. 10...

Golden Globes 2023: Complete Nominations List
By Brent Lang, Jordan Moreau     Dec 12, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/golden-globes-nominations-list-nominees-2-1235455667/ 

Best Motion Picture, Drama
“Avatar: The Way of Water” (20th Century Studios) 
“Elvis” (Warner Bros.) 
“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures) 
“Tár” (Focus Features) 
“Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures)
Best Director, Motion Picture
James Cameron (“Avatar: The Way of Water”) 
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 
Baz Luhrmann (“Elvis”) 
Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 
Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Way of Water got 6 noms for Critics Choice Awards...

‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Leads Critics Choice Awards with 14 Nominations
Anne Thompson     December 14, 2022
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/2023-critics-choice-awards-film-nominees-full-list-1234792142/ 

The 600-member Critics Choice Association (CCA) revealed the film category nominees for the 28th Annual Critics Choice Awards, which will be held at the Critics Choice Awards gala, broadcast live on The CW from the Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles on Sunday, January 15, 2023 (at 7:00 p.m. ET). As the largest film critic association in North America, the CCAs are often predictive of the Oscars.
BEST PICTURE

“Avatar: The Way of Water”
“Babylon”
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Elvis”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Fabelmans”
“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”
“RRR”
“Tár”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
“Women Talking”
BEST DIRECTOR

James Cameron – “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Damien Chazelle – “Babylon”
Todd Field – “Tár”
Baz Luhrmann – “Elvis”
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Martin McDonagh – “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Sarah Polley – “Women Talking”
Gina Prince-Bythewood – “The Woman King”
S. S. Rajamouli – “RRR”
Steven Spielberg – “The Fabelmans”
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Russell Carpenter – “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Roger Deakins – “Empire of Light”
Florian Hoffmeister – “Tár”
Janusz Kaminski – “The Fabelmans”
Claudio Miranda – “Top Gun: Maverick”
Linus Sandgren – “Babylon”

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Hannah Beachler, Lisa K. Sessions – “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Rick Carter, Karen O’Hara – “The Fabelmans”
Dylan Cole, Ben Procter, Vanessa Cole – “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Jason Kisvarday, Kelsi Ephraim – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Catherine Martin, Karen Murphy, Bev Dunn – “Elvis”
Florencia Martin, Anthony Carlino – “Babylon”

BEST EDITING

Tom Cross – “Babylon”
Eddie Hamilton – “Top Gun: Maverick”
Stephen Rivkin, David Brenner, John Refoua, James Cameron – “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Paul Rogers – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Matt Villa, Jonathan Redmond – “Elvis”
Monika Willi – “Tár”
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

“Avatar: The Way of Water”
“The Batman”
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“RRR”
“Top Gun: Maverick”

Bottom line: Way of Water opened at $134M, falling short of its $150M - $175M projections, but could still make it to the $2B mark over an extended run (movie expected to have legs)...

‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ Opens To $134M; Why Pic’s Box Office Fate Will Be Determined Through The Holidays – Sunday AM Update
By Anthony D'Alessandro   December 18, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-1235200714/

'Avatar: The Way of Water’ Has a Subdued Start at the Box Office
By Brooks Barnes    December 18, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/18/movies/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office.html

'Avatar: The Way of Water' failed to live up to box office expectations on its opening weekend, reports say — putting pressure on Disney's $2 billion bet
Ryan Hogg    December 18, 2022
https://www.businessinsider.com/avatar-2-fails-to-live-up-to-box-office-hopes-2022-12

Edited by tv echo
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Bottom line: Way of Water opened at $134M, falling short of its $150M - $175M projections, but could still make it to the $2B mark over an extended run (movie expected to have legs)...

I don't know if it really needs 2 Billon to break even and I'm a little confused on the 480M production cost since they filmed 2 and 3 simultaneously.  

I assume this will make 1 Billon. I can't see it getting to 2 Billon. It would require multiple releases and very strong legs to carry it there. 

• LOL 1

T5dV9K4.jpg

Interesting enough, even though it "failed" to live up to expectations, it's already sitting at No. 8 in the Highest grossers from Hollywood in 2022. After one weekend. That's kind of crazy. 

22 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't know if it really needs 2 Billon to break even and I'm a little confused on the 480M production cost since they filmed 2 and 3 simultaneously.  

I don't think it needs 2 billion to break even, but I'm sure it'll get there eventually. Avatar 3 is guaranteed, regardless. 

4 minutes ago, ursula said:

don't think it needs 2 billion to break even, but I'm sure it'll get there eventually. Avatar 3 is guaranteed, regardless. 

I'm only going by what James Cameron said, that it needed 2B to become profitable.  As for eventually, eh maybe but, based on current events I doubt it. It certainly won't get there on it's initial release.  I guess we'll see how the movie does this weekend