Type keyword(s) to search

The Avatar Series

Traveller519
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm only going by what James Cameron said, that it needed 2B to become profitable.  As for eventually, eh maybe but, based on current events I doubt it. It certainly won't get there on it's initial release.  I guess we'll see how the movie does this weekend 

It entered the top 10 grossers for the entire year in less than a week of release at 405million dollars. The holidays are starting and there's literally no competition in the cinemas until February. 

Cameron said, in his usual hyperbolic manner, that it needed to be a top 5 grosser to be profitable, then everyone ran with that. 

This movie will make for a gorgeous showroom display next year for the latest TVs.

I haven't watched the original pretty much since it came out. I remember loving it but now all of these years later I can't really recall what I loved about it other than the visuals, though I know I loved things about it beyond the visuals.

Having seen AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER, I am happy that the visuals have more stunning than ever, but I really loved the storyline and loved the new additions. This one sticks with me more. It's a beautiful film and wonderfully acted.

• Like 1

Avatar: The Way of Water was breath taking. Amazing. I don’t regret seeing it in IMAX. 

But it was LONG AS HELL. I wasn’t bored at all but you saw every dollar on screen in the gorgeous water sequences. 

I concur @AngieBee1 that the acting was superb. Again it was SUCH a beautiful film. 

Edited to add: I also have to say Sigourney Weaver did a great job playing a teenager.

• Like 1

‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ Jumps to $955M WW Through Monday, Will Hit $1B With Tuesday Grosses
By Nancy Tartaglione    December 27, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-1-billlion-1235207219/ 

James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water is close on its way to the $1B global box office mark, having more than handily crossed $900M worldwide through its second Monday. This is the latest benchmark for the highly-anticipated sequel, and comes just 13 days after global rollout began. With $955.1M through Monday, The Way of Water has become the No. 3 highest-grosser of 2022 and the No. 4 biggest film of the pandemic era. What’s more, it is expected to hit the $1B worldwide milestone with today’s turnout. 

Through Monday, the split is $293.2M domestic and $661.9M at the international box office. Internationally, Way of Water now stands as the No. 2 release of 2022 and No. 3 studio title of the pandemic era.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

First Avatar 3 Plot Details Reveal Fire Na’vi Plan
By Alycia Leach    December 31, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/avatar-3-fire-navi-plot 

In an interview with the French newspaper 20 minutes, director James Cameron has spoken about his plans for Avatar 3. 

Audiences can expect a new side of Pandora and its indigenous population, the Na’vi, as Avatar 3 is set to reinvent the wheel and introduce audiences to the “Ash people,” who represent a fiery and volcanic biome.

“Different cultures from those I have already shown. The fire will be represented by the "Ash People"."
While both Avatar and its sequel presented humans in a “very negative” way and the Na’vi in a “very positive” way, Cameron has said that Avatar 3 “will do the opposite.” 

"I want to show the Na’vi in a different light because, so far, I have only shown their good sides. In the early films, there are very negative human examples and very positive Na’vi examples. In Avatar 3, we will do the opposite."
"We will also explore new worlds, while continuing the story of the main characters. I can say that the last parts will be the best. The others were an introduction, a way to set the table before serving the meal. But, obviously, everything will depend on how Avatar 2 is received, if it finds its audience."

Edited by tv echo

Box Office: ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ Swims to $86 Million Over New Year’s Holiday
By Rebecca Rubin    Jan 2, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/avatar-2-box-office-new-years-day-1235477246/ 

James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” loomed large at the box office during the New Year’s holiday, generating a towering $86.3 million over the four-day weekend. Through New Year’s Day, the blockbuster sequel has grossed $444.4 million in North America and roughly $1.4 billion globally.
“Avatar: The Way of Water” is expected to remain a top draw throughout the month of January, which will be necessary to justify its massive price tag. Cameron estimated the $350 million-budgeted movie (not including at least $100 million in marketing fees) needs to generate roughly $2 billion to break even, though analysts believe the threshold to profitability is probably closer to $1.5 billion. As a plus, it looks to hit that benchmark in a matter of days.

Takes: I actually forgot until I rewatched Avatar 1 today that Jakesully’s narration was actually part of his video journal.  So… who’s he talking to in the new one (besides the audience, obviously)?  Also, it would’ve been nice for him to name one of his kids (the younger daughter probably?) after Trudy, since she really went to bat for them all.  Otherwise, I wanted to confirm for myself that Grace’s pregnancy and Spider aren’t set up at all, since my brain had started Mandela Effecting them into my memories of the first film.

I also want to go to Pandora at Disney World in a “Save the Tulkun” t-shirt.

Having said that, the first Avatar does hold up pretty well- but damn, the new one is so dang pretty.  All that underwater stuff is just incredibly cool.  Very interested in seeing where the franchise goes from here.

Avatar: Way of Water got 1 SAG Awards nomination and 1 PGA Awards nomination...

Jennifer Coolidge, Everything Everywhere All at Once lead 2023 SAG Awards nominations: See the full list
By Joey Nolfi    January 11, 2023 
https://ew.com/awards/sag-awards/2023-sag-awards-nominations-full-list/ 

See the full list of the 2023 SAG Awards nominations below. The awards will stream Sunday, Feb. 26, at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on Netflix's YouTube channel.
Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Top Gun: Maverick
The Woman King

Hocus Pocus 2, RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars 7, The Whale get 2023 PGA Awards nominations: See full list
By Joey Nolfi    January 12, 2023
https://ew.com/awards/2023-producers-guild-america-awards-nominations/ 

The 2023 PGA Awards winners will be announced on Feb. 25 at a ceremony at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles. See the full list of nominees below.
Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Tár
The Whale

OK, I really liked the movie.

What I can’t get over is that James Cameron put an homage to the 1972 movie Deep Throat in it.

For those familiar with that adult classic, I urge you to think about what the premise of that film was, and then revisit one particular scene with the whale in Avatar.

Way of Water got 2 BAFTA Awards nominations...

BAFTA Awards 2023: See the full list of nominees
By Thomas Page     January 19, 2023
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/entertainment/bafta-nominations-2023/index.html

The awards ceremony, which highlights some of the best British and international contributions in film of the year, will take place on February 19 at 7p.m. GMT, with actor Richard E. Grant on hosting duties at London’s Royal Festival Hall.
Sound
Lars Ginzsel, Frank Kruse, Viktor Prášil and Markus Stemler, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Julian Howarth, Gary Summers and Gwendoyln Yates Whittle, “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Michael Keller, David Lee, Andy Nelson and Wayne Pashley, “Elvis”
Deb Adair, Stephen Griffiths, Andy Shelley, Steve Single and Roland Winke, “TÁR”
Chris Burdon, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Mark Taylor and Mark Weingarten, “Top Gun: Maverick”

Special Visual Effects
Markus Frank, Kamil Jafar, Viktor Müller and Frank Petzoid, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri and Eric Saindon, “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Russell Earl, Dan Lemmon, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy, “The Batman”
Benjamin Brewer, Ethan Feldbau, Jonathan Kombrinck and Zak Stoltz, “Everything Everywhere All At Once”
Seth Hill, Scott R. Fisher, Bryan Litson and Ryan Tudhope, “Top Gun: Maverick”

Edited by tv echo

Way of Water got 4 Oscar nominations...

Oscar Nominations 2023: Full List of Nominees Led by Everything Everywhere All at Once
BY KATEY RICH AND REBECCA FORD     JANUARY 24, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/01/oscar-nominations-2023-list-awards-insider 

BEST PICTURE 
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
The Fabelmans
Tár
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Christian M. Goldbeck & Ernestine Hipper, All Quiet on the Western Front
Catherine Martin, Karen Murphy & Bev Dunn, Elvis 
Florencia Martin & Anthony Carlino, Babylon 
Dylan Cole, Ben Procter & Vanessa Cole, Avatar: The Way of Water
Rick Carter & Karen O’Hara, The Fabelmans
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Batman

BEST SOUND
The Batman
Elvis

Edited by tv echo

BAFTA Awards 2023: See the full list of winners
By Dan Heching, CNN  February 20, 2023
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/19/entertainment/bafta-awards-2023-winners-list/index.html

Best special visual effects
Markus Frank, Kamil Jafar, Viktor Müller and Frank Petzoid, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri and Eric Saindon, “Avatar: The Way of Water” *WINNER
Russell Earl, Dan Lemmon, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy, “The Batman”
Benjamin Brewer, Ethan Feldbau, Jonathan Kombrinck and Zak Stoltz, “Everything Everywhere All At Once”
Seth Hill, Scott R. Fisher, Bryan Litson and Ryan Tudhope, “Top Gun: Maverick”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Way of Water and Zoe Saldana both received nominations for Critics Choice Super Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards honoring Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action Movies and Series
February 22, 2023
https://www.criticschoice.com/2023/02/22/nominations-announced-for-the-3rd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards-honoring-superhero-science-fiction-fantasy-horror-and-action-movies-and-series/

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2023) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed via a special announcement on Thursday, March 16.
BEST SCIENCE FICTION/FANTASY MOVIE 
Nope
The Northman
Prey
BEST ACTRESS IN A SCIENCE FICTION/FANTASY MOVIE 
Karen Gillan – Dual
Stephanie Hsu – Everything Everywhere All at Once
Amber Midthunder – Prey
Keke Palmer – Nope
Zoe Saldana – Avatar: The Way of Water
Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All at Once

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

The International Press Academy Announces Winners for the 27th Annual SATELLITE™ Awards
MARCH 3, 2023  |  BY IPA ADMIN
https://www.pressacademy.com/news/the-international-press-academy-announces-winners-for-the-27th-annual-satellite-awards/

DIRECTOR
James Cameron     Avatar: The Way of Water (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
VISUAL EFFECTS
Avatar: The Way of Water     Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, Richie Baneham, Dan Barrett (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Way of Water won an Oscar for Best Visual Effects...

Oscars: Complete Winners List
BY KIMBERLY NORDYKE   MARCH 12, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2023-oscars-winners-list-1235349224/

Best Visual Effects
All Quiet on the Western Front — Frank Petzold, Viktor Müller, Markus Frank and Kamil Jafar
Avatar: The Way of Water — Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett (WINNER)
The Batman — Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever — Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, R. Christopher White and Dan Sudick
Top Gun: Maverick — Ryan Tudhope, Seth Hill, Bryan Litson and Scott R. Fisher

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Avatar: The Way of Water to Stream on Two Rival Services — Find Out When
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 15 2023
https://tvline.com/2023/05/15/how-to-watch-avatar-the-way-of-water-streaming/ 

James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water will make a doubly-large splash when it begins streaming next month.

Coming off of a historic, months-long theatrical run during which it became the third highest-grossing film of all time worldwide (by amassing nearly $2.32 billion at the box office) and earned four Academy Award nominations (including for Best Picture), the lonnnng-in-the-making Avatar sequel is set to begin streaming Wednesday, June 7 — on Disney+ as well as on what will by then be known simply as Max.

Update: Both Disney+ and Max subscribers will also have access to bonus content featuring filmmakers, cast and crew.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Saw Avatar The Way of Water. Great special effects and world building, alright action, pedestrian story and forgettable characters. Too long and had absolutely no business getting a Best Picture nomination. I wish Cameron would be called out more for his poor scriptwriting instead of being given all this undeserved praise. Sad part is that he had the Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver from the recent Planet of the Apes movies helping him write. They have experience in creating an interesting world with memorable characters. The story and the conflict feels very small and non-epic. A lower-level series of battles compared to tbe first movie. It's a shame Cameron will likely end his career on doing these movies.

Avatar is strange. There has never been a series made that has made so much money and barely made any sort of a ripple in the pop culture.

Edited by benteen
  • Like 4

Finally saw The Way of the Water today on Disney+. I enjoyed it visually. It was beautifully shot and the world building was great. All the new creatures etc. very nice. I imagine if you had the chance to see this in 4D it was awesome. That said, I thought the plot was thin and predictable. I found myself annoyed with almost all the characters at one time or another.

• Like 1