Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

I watched the whole Steele/Jason vid. They're still pretty positive, but with some reservations. Apparently there are more features to come, and if you're coming from a long distance, you should wait for the park to be fully armed and operational. Germain Lussier on IO9 agrees. Unless you're nearby, hold off for a while.

I went Friday, and was very impressed. The level of immersive detail is truly amazing, and there are so many little things to look at and interact with that you can easily spend hours without even touching the attraction(s). The crowds are managed -very- well right now, with their mandatory reservation system—it will be interesting to see how it is in another month when that ends. 

• Love 2

I don't know what the crowds are going to look like after June 23 (probably ridonk) but I will say that the queue for Smuggler's Run looks pretty amazing. Plus, to get on the ride... you go INTO the Falcon. I don't care who you are, that's just cool.

Also, the lightsaber ceremony looks pretty awesome as well.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Anduin said:

Mark Hamill hopes that Ep IX is his last outing as Luke. I can see that. Luke's arc is complete. He's only coming back to help out Rey, or at least that's my guess. As For Mark Hamill, while Luke made his career, Luke has also dominated it. I can see how maybe he'd like to move beyond Luke once and for all.

As much as I love Luke, I can accept that it's time to go.

I like the apparent conceit that each of the new movies in the trilogy was a goodbye to one of the original trio - Han in The Force Awakens, Luke in The Last Jedi and then it probably would have been Leia in Episode IX. Sadly, that was impossible to carry out, so Luke as a Force ghost in Episode IX feels like it may have been a necessity.

I know Hamill wasn't happy with a lot his character's arc in The Last Jedi, but I thought it worked well, and gave the character a really nice send-off. The call-backs to Episode IV, with the holo-message and saying goodbye to Leia in a really nicely done moment. Then he faced off with Kylo Ren as the Rebels escaped, which was definitely a call-back to Obi Wan doing the same. And he faded away watching the sunset, just as he yearningly watched the sunset on Tatooine.

For all the crap Rian Johnson gets, he did a wonderful job with those moments.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

I like the apparent conceit that each of the new movies in the trilogy was a goodbye to one of the original trio - Han in The Force Awakens, Luke in The Last Jedi and then it probably would have been Leia in Episode IX. Sadly, that was impossible to carry out, so Luke as a Force ghost in Episode IX feels like it may have been a necessity.

I know Hamill wasn't happy with a lot his character's arc in The Last Jedi, but I thought it worked well, and gave the character a really nice send-off. The call-backs to Episode IV, with the holo-message and saying goodbye to Leia in a really nicely done moment. Then he faced off with Kylo Ren as the Rebels escaped, which was definitely a call-back to Obi Wan doing the same. And he faded away watching the sunset, just as he yearningly watched the sunset on Tatooine.

For all the crap Rian Johnson gets, he did a wonderful job with those moments.

He changed his tune once he saw the finished product. That's what the haters choose to ignore. I can see how he wouldn't like it initally. On paper, grumpy old Luke rejects the Force and has to be talked back into it, only to die, does sound bad. But yes, it does work well.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 6:51 AM, Anduin said:

He changed his tune once he saw the finished product. That's what the haters choose to ignore. I can see how he wouldn't like it initally. On paper, grumpy old Luke rejects the Force and has to be talked back into it, only to die, does sound bad. But yes, it does work well.

My opinion is(after having thought about it for a year and a half) Luke being all powerful, kicking all kinds of ass and saving the galaxy at the end of the saga would be a fitting conclusion IF he was still the character who started out as the relatively unimportant figure as depicted in the first Star Wars movie. Just an ordinary person swept up in an adventure through circumstance and becoming a hero. In interviews at the time Mark compared Luke to Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. However, once Lucas decided to change it so Vader be Luke's father(and despite what Lucas says it WAS a retcon) and later reveal in the prequels that he was the "Chosen One"  who will bring balance to the Force according to an ancient prophesy, that changed everything. Luke went from being the male Dorothy Gale to "King Arthur in Space". I don't believe there was a class-based intent behind it. Lucas just wanted to make Star Wars a story about a son redeeming his father and later how someone who started so innocent could turn into a monster. However the unintended side effect was it emphasized the importance of bloodlines and genetics in Star Wars. That greatness is something inherited instead of achieved on your own.  In order to take the story back to it's roots, Luke, the son of the "Chosen One" had to fail and the next generation of the Skywalker family be an entitled manchild. It's why I hope Rey really is a "nobody" so Star Wars can go back to the original thesis that ANYONE can be a hero.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2019 at 9:51 AM, Anduin said:

He's gone back and made a few somewhat negative comments about the film since the fervor died down a bit,  in particularly not understanding/agreeing with Luke going into hiding over the Kylo Ren thing. He also fairly recently got dragged on Twitter because he retweeted a photoshop someone did of Luke, Han, and Lando together and called it a missed opportunity.

IMO it seems like he's never particularly loved Luke's arc in the the movie, but came out in support of the film/Johnson when the outrage was super toxic and people were harassing other cast members over the film. Maybe I'm projecting my own dislike for what the film did with the characters, but I still get the sense that Mark doesn't particularly like what the NT has done with Luke, but didn't want to give the more toxic elements of the fanbase ammo.

• Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

He's gone back and made a few somewhat negative comments about the film since the fervor died down a bit,  in particularly not understanding/agreeing with Luke going into hiding over the Kylo Ren thing. He also fairly recently got dragged on Twitter because he retweeted a photoshop someone did of Luke, Han, and Lando together and called it a missed opportunity.

IMO it seems like he's never particularly loved Luke's arc in the the movie, but came out in support of the film/Johnson when the outrage was super toxic and people were harassing other cast members over the film. Maybe I'm projecting my own dislike for what the film did with the characters, but I still get the sense that Mark doesn't particularly like what the NT has done with Luke, but didn't want to give the more toxic elements of the fanbase ammo.

Mark didn't like the direction Luke took in Return of the Jedi either.

Watch: Mark Hamill Pitches Luke Skywalker Going To The Dark Side In 2005 ‘Dinner For Five’ Episode With J.J. Abrams

Hamill discussed his character’s fate on a 2005 episode of the old IFC series “Dinner for Five,” and it’s worth a watch for Abrams’ bemused facial reactions alone. When asked about the potential future of young master Skywalker, the 64 year-old actor had this to say: “I just thought that’s the way it was going from when we finished [‘The Empire Strikes Back‘]. I figured that’s what will be the pivotal moment. I’ll have to come back, but it will be Han Solo in my crosshairs and I’ll be about to kill him or about to kill the Princess or about to kill somebody that we care about.”

Luke going to the Dark Side is arguably a bigger betrayal of the character than what happened in TLJ but as Mark said on the show it would be "more fun to play". I don't blame Mark for wanting that or being disappointed on Luke's fate in TLJ because he, like the fans wanted Luke to be badass and powerful. As I posted up top that would be fine if Luke had started out an ordinary person of humble origin as originally depicted in the first Star Wars. Yes I know his dad was still a Jedi and the "best star pilot in the galaxy" but that's still not in the same league as then being the son of the "Chosen One" someone of "special" lineage. Not to mention his mother is a former queen and his sister is a princess!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think Hamill's issues with Luke's arc are evidence of why people who are too close to material probably shouldn't make creative decisions about it. His ideas for Luke pretty much sucked, and would have made for a sadly predictable movie that was more about Luke than it was about the new characters. His arc was one of the best things about The Last Jedi, which was not a movie without flaws.

Harrison Ford's detachment from Han Solo let JJ Abrams craft a satisfying narrative for him that, even though it was devastating for fans, was necessary for the new trilogy to be a success.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I actually find Luke leaving to be quite realistic. We all make bad decisions in our lives. Sometimes we dig our heels in on the matter, and refuse to change unless forced to. Alternately, maybe he thought that he'd caused enough trouble and since he couldn't fix the problem, at least he could stop messing up.

Yeah, I can see how he'd want to support the party line. But I can also see how he'd want to play the golden hero again, the Jedi master the EU told us he'd become. So while I like TLJ, I agree with your guess as to his opinion.

• Love 3

Dear Disney

I know you like to re-purpose intellectual properties that you own in order to make more money. 

You know what would get my dollar? A Criterion style non digital "enhancement" release of the original trilogy.

Thank you

xaxat

• Love 4
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

Dear Disney

I know you like to re-purpose intellectual properties that you own in order to make more money. 

You know what would get my dollar? A Criterion style non digital "enhancement" release of the original trilogy.

Thank you

xaxat

My understanding was FOX owned A New Hope, not Lucas Films/Disney. Hopefully, now that Disney aquired FOX we will finally get a the original trilogy (theatrical release - not altered post 1985). 

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, Anduin said:

You know how I said that Rey isn't going to go dark or die in TROS? This is why.

I can't imagine anyone wants to break that kid's heart.

Despite the new trailer implying she does go dark... she certainly isn't.  But it's a STRONG hint.  Go ahead and see...

The two popular theories I've seen are:

a.) Clone - Rey "came from nothing" because she was a clone. And there's another clone (so of course it looks just like her) who we're seeing in that clip.  Possibly raised by an already existing clone of Palpatine.

b.) Force Vision - like we've ALREADY seen her have.  Like Luke himself saw when he saw himself in a Vadar helmet.

And my own theory - It's actual Rey, but she's not really evil.  It was hinted like crazy in the other films that she represents a path not taken, not completely comfortable, to people like Luke and Obi-Wan--a "Balanced" Jedi.  Who better to fool a revived Palpatine?  Someone who can act Dark but who isn't.

• Love 1

Watching A New Hope, couple of observations. The scene where Obi-Wan meets R2 for the first time actually works with the prequels (obviously unintentional). When Obi-Wan spots R2 and says Hello There, it could be played as (I know you). Then when Luke is explaining the situation Obi-Wan is kind of staring at R2, trying to figure him out (does he really remember me?). Finally when Obi-Wan says "I don't recall owing any Droids, interesting.", he's looking at R2 the entire time (like he's talking to R2, not Luke). So while it was never planned, I watched that scene for the first time in many years and, it actually worked for me (keeping the prequels in mind).

The scene that doesn't really work is after Luke storms out (because Uncle Owen keeps dragging his feet on letting Luke go to the (Imperial?) academy), Owen and Beru talk about Luke and his father in a way that just doesn't jive, IMO.

One final thought, for all the crap 3PO gets about being cowardly and uptight, he's kinda of stone cold. On the Death Star he comes up with the plan to hide in the closet, lies to the Storm Troopers to send them rushing off and, then lies again to the remaining storm trooper guarding the door.

ETA: It just ended and, I'm once again annoyed that Chewie didn't get a metal 😠

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Owen and Beru talk about Luke and his father in a way that just doesn't jive, IMO.

Are you serious? "[Luke] has too much of his father in him!"/"That's what I'm afraid of" jives perfectly with Luke's father being Darth Vader. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ursula said:

Are you serious? "[Luke] has too much of his father in him!"/"That's what I'm afraid of" jives perfectly with Luke's father being Darth Vader. 

Yeah, they don't really want him following in his footsteps do they? Owen keeps trying to stall him. I'm not entirely sure telling Luke the truth would have helped. Aside from scaring the crap out of him Luke probably would have set out to try and meet Vader before he had any training as a Jedi or had the Rebel Alliance to go to. Plus Owen knew exactly what would happen the second word got out that a Skywalker was at the Academy assuming Vader and Palpatine hadn't felt him in Force by that point. And it would have gotten out. The great Anakin Skywalker's son joined the Academy? Vader and Palpatine would have both been hauling ass to pick him up and he'd be no match for either one. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, ursula said:

The line works and, the whole keeping him down on the farm also works but, the tone of the talk doesn't fit. The way the prequels go there is no relationship between Owen/Beru and Anakin but the tone used (especially by Beru) implies a familiarity/fondness. 

It makes sense in ANH because we're supposed to believe that Owen/Anakin are brothers and Owen/Beru had a history (grew up) with Anakin and their worry is that Luke will follow in his father's footsteps (seeking adventure leading to his downfall).

None of that works with the prequels, Owen didn't really know Anakin or care about Anakin.  This is one of the bigger problems with Lucas not caring about continuity in his movies.

So yeah, that scene doesn't (IMO) work with the prequels because it implies history/relationship that just didn't exist in the prequels.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Plus Owen knew exactly what would happen the second word got out that a Skywalker was at the Academy assuming Vader and Palpatine hadn't felt him in Force by that point. And it would have gotten out. The great Anakin Skywalker's son joined the Academy? Vader and Palpatine would have both been hauling ass to pick him up and he'd be no match for either one. 

This is actually another point as to why it doesn't work. It makes sense in his excuses to Luke but, once Luke storms out there's no talk of he can't go to the academy with the same freaking name as Anakin Skywalker when we're supposed to be hiding him from Vadar and Emperor!  

Lucas ruled out any possibe relations with same name when he gave Anakin the Skywalker name because he was born of the force and didn't have a father (IIRC) and made Owen his step-brother.

Granted none of this existed when ANH was made it's a failure of Lucas' continuity with the prequels and original trilogy.

Some stuff works surprisingly well but, for me the Owen/Beru stuff just didn't work

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The way the prequels go there is no relationship between Owen/Beru and Anakin but the tone used (especially by Beru) implies a familiarity/fondness. 

It didn't imply fondness, maybe some familiarity, which makes sense as Owen was originally Obi-Wan's brother, not Anakin's. The distance in their relationship in the PT matches the OT.

In the PT, Owen and Beru met Anakin once and knew of Anakin through Shmi so they know that he left Tatooine for an adventure and became a monster.

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It makes sense in his excuses to Luke but, once Luke storms out there's no talk of he can't go to the academy with the same freaking name as Anakin Skywalker when we're supposed to be hiding him from Vadar and Emperor!  

Luke was never going to the Academy (if Owen had his way) so it didn't matter what name he was called. 

Like I know the prequels weren't in the blueprint when ANH was shot but these aren't the parts that don't fit. 

40 minutes ago, ursula said:

It didn't imply fondness, maybe some familiarity, which makes sense as Owen was originally Obi-Wan's brother, not Anakin's. The distance in their relationship in the PT matches the OT.

In the PT, Owen and Beru met Anakin once and knew of Anakin through Shmi so they know that he left Tatooine for an adventure and became a monster.

Luke was never going to the Academy (if Owen had his way) so it didn't matter what name he was called. 

Like I know the prequels weren't in the blueprint when ANH was shot but these aren't the parts that don't fit. 

But what prevented Luke from storming off and just joining the Academy? 

8 hours ago, ursula said:

It certainly did have a tone of fondness IMO

8 hours ago, ursula said:

Like I know the prequels weren't in the blueprint when ANH was shot but these aren't the parts that don't fit

I disagree completely. 

In A New Hope Owen does speak of Anakin in a way that does imply a familiarity that the prequels then contradicted.   I don’t know why Lucas choose to make Owen/Anakin basically strangers.  I really think Owen should have been a Skywalker or  a childhood friend.  

One thing that always bugged me was the question of why Luke was so poorly hidden and Leia so well hidden.  Shouldn’t Luke have been raised to believe Owen was his Dad and Anakin an Uncle for safety reasons?   Owen wasn’t going to be able to hold Luke back from leaving forever.  So why tell him Anakin was his Dad while not warning him that Anakin became Vader?   

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

One thing that always bugged me was the question of why Luke was so poorly hidden and Leia so well hidden.

I've always explained this to myself that Anakin knew he had a child, therefore the decision was made to allow one child to exist for Vader's benefit. The theory being if he finds Luke and kills him, converts him to the dark side or whatever at least the back up plan will survive to do whatever Yoda and Obi-Wan thought was going to happen (this theory relies on those two knowing the big picture end result). Vader isn't going to go out looking for a second child, all he knows is he has a child. If both kids were hidden, maybe Vader would have gone on a universal youngling rampage and kill ever child he came across. Luke was essentially a sacrificial lamb.

I confess I do a lot of handwaving when it comes to the Prequels matching up with stuff from the Originals. The one I struggle justifying is Leia's memory of Amidala. I will never know why Lucas killed her, he could have had her survive and she could have gone to Alderan as Leia's nanny or something.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

In A New Hope Owen does speak of Anakin in a way that does imply a familiarity that the prequels then contradicted.   I don’t know why Lucas choose to make Owen/Anakin basically strangers.  I really think Owen should have been a Skywalker or  a childhood friend.  

One thing that always bugged me was the question of why Luke was so poorly hidden and Leia so well hidden.  Shouldn’t Luke have been raised to believe Owen was his Dad and Anakin an Uncle for safety reasons?   Owen wasn’t going to be able to hold Luke back from leaving forever.  So why tell him Anakin was his Dad while not warning him that Anakin became Vader?   

They were betting on Vader never wanting to go Tatooine which given all that happened to him there it was unlikely he would. His and his mother's slavery, her death, and his first massacre. He wouldn't want to go there because there were too many bad memories for him. And it was really too remote for anyone to care even the Empire. Although why they didn't let Owen give Luke his last name doesn't make any sense. Same with how Owen and Anakin barely knew each other. Even as stepbrothers if he had visited more often or they talked a lot more often that would make more sense. But its unlikely he did or even had time to visit in the three years between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. How many people on Tatooine knew Anakin had left to become a Jedi? There had to be plenty from the slave city he grew up in and where Shmi moved too after she married. How Luke never found out before his father was a Jedi is also surprising. A slave kid who left to become a Jedi? Everyone would have been talking about that even long after Anakin left. Also, Anakin was the most famous Jedi at the time or tied with Obi-Wan and Yoda and no one on Tatooine knew or said anything? I know Lucas has said that Skywalker was a very common last name. But he never really proves it by having a bunch of different Skywalkers.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

confess I do a lot of handwaving when it comes to the Prequels matching up with stuff from the Originals. The one I struggle justifying is Leia's memory of Amidala. I will never know why Lucas killed her, he could have had her survive and she could have gone to Alderan as Leia's nanny or something.

That one always bugged me. It never made sense other than a way to have Anakin fully aware of his child/children before becoming Vadar while giving him a reason to never look for them.

A better story would have been (IMO) to have Padame realize she was pregnant after Anakin turned to the Dark Side. Give her a quick marriage to Bail Organa and raising Leia as their own child. Her mother could have still been sad and died while Leia was very young but, it would have lined up more with the Original Trilogy. Padame would have been sad over Anakin going evil and sending Luke away.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

A better story would have been (IMO) to have Padame realize she was pregnant after Anakin turned to the Dark Side. Give her a quick marriage to Bail Organa and raising Leia as their own child. Her mother could have still been sad and died while Leia was very young but, it would have lined up more with the Original Trilogy. Padame would have been sad over Anakin going evil and sending Luke away.

It won't have been better because it would have required Padme's story to end offscreen. 

10 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

certainly did have a tone of fondness IMO

In ANH, Owen says exactly 2 things about Anakin:

"that (Luke being like his father) is what I'm afraid of" and

"Obi-Wan doesn't exist anymore. He died at the same time as your father".

YMMV obviously but it doesn't seem to me that any of those exactly 2 lines implies fondness or close familiarity. 

8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

There had to be plenty from the slave city he grew up in and where Shmi moved too after she married. How Luke never found out before his father was a Jedi is also surprising. A slave kid who left to become a Jedi? Everyone would have been talking about that even long after Anakin left. Also, Anakin was the most famous Jedi at the time or tied with Obi-Wan and Yoda and no one on Tatooine knew or said anything? I know Lucas has said that Skywalker was a very common last name. But he never really proves it by having a bunch of different Skywalkers.

Tatooine is a planet, not a city though. What are the chances that someone in Florida, USA will know the names of the famous English football players from 20 years ago? And that's not even factoring the fact that English football (the Jedi equivalent in this analogy) hasn't been played for 20 years and in fact fell out of favour as a popular sport?

Shmi was a slave. Skywalker was either the name of her Master or the name her Master gave her to "itemize" her. 

1 hour ago, ursula said:

It won't have been better because it would have required Padme's story to end offscreen. 

In ANH, Owen says exactly 2 things about Anakin:

"that (Luke being like his father) is what I'm afraid of" and

"Obi-Wan doesn't exist anymore. He died at the same time as your father".

YMMV obviously but it doesn't seem to me that any of those exactly 2 lines implies fondness or close familiarity. 

Tatooine is a planet, not a city though. What are the chances that someone in Florida, USA will know the names of the famous English football players from 20 years ago? And that's not even factoring the fact that English football (the Jedi equivalent in this analogy) hasn't been played for 20 years and in fact fell out of favour as a popular sport?

Shmi was a slave. Skywalker was either the name of her Master or the name her Master gave her to "itemize" her. 

People are going to know the name because a slave boy left the planet to become a Jedi. That's huge. People talk all the time about the poor kid who make it to the big leagues or the homeless girl who got into Harvard. The same way towns and cities all over the place end up putting up signs for a actor or singer or someone who was from their own left and became famous. There's no way people wouldn't be talking about it forever on Tatooine. We still talk about famous former slaves over a century and a half after they lived. Why wouldn't Tatooine? 

25 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

People are going to know the name because a slave boy left the planet to become a Jedi. That's huge.

And how did this become planet-wide news? The Slave Gazette? Did Wattoo announce how he lost a slave in a bet with a Jedi? Did the Tatooine populace at large know that Qui Gon Jinn was a Jedi?

It would be different if Anakin had come back and led some kind of slave revolution. But to the few people that knew, he was just a slave boy that changed Masters, left Tatooine with some off-worlder and never came back. And if Shmi had told people she had a son who was a Jedi and left her in chains, they'd have thought she was delusional.

You're looking at it from the audience perspective - knowing all these details and their significance... therefore assuming that everyone in the story knows all these details and/or regard them as significant. It's the inability to separate the Doylist from the Watsonian perspective.

Edited by ursula
7 minutes ago, ursula said:

And how did this become planet-wide news? The Slave Gazette? Did Wattoo announce how he lost a slave in a bet with a Jedi? Did the Tatooine populace at large know that Qui Gon Jinn was a Jedi?

It would be different if Anakin had come back and led some kind of slave revolution. But to the few people that knew, he was just a slave boy that changed Masters, left Tatooine with some off-worlder and never came back. And if Shmi had told people she had a son who was a Jedi and left her in chains, they'd have thought she was delusional.

You're looking at it from the audience perspective - knowing all these details and their significance... therefore assuming that everyone in the story knows all these details and/or regard them as significant. It's the inability to separate the Doylist from the Watsonian perspective.

You don't think Shmi told everyone her son went off to become a Jedi? That Anakin told his friends before he left? Or that Anakin's friends wouldn't have figured it out if he hadn't? A Jedi comes, hangs around, Anakin helps them and Anakin leaves? The same Anakin who just won the podrace? The first human to do that? And at a young age. And he did so to help the Jedi? They all would have known his name. They would have found out. Stuff like that always gets out. Plus later during the Clone Wars Anakin and Obi-Wan are both really famous. His friends and everyone from where he lived on Tatooine would have known who he was and they would have told everyone they knew. 

6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

You don't think Shmi told everyone her son went off to become a Jedi?

When Shmi sent her son away, she told him not to look back. I highly doubt that the same woman told anybody before Cliegg Lars what happened to her son. No one would believe her for one thing, and those who did would see her - a slave with a Jedi son - as a target.

A Jedi comes, hangs around, Anakin helps them and Anakin leaves?

Jinn didn't go around telling everyone that he was a Jedi when he was hiding out in Naboo. How would anyone know that a Jedi took Anakin?

That Anakin told his friends before he left?

What friends? The other 9 year old slaves? Why would he? Anakin was a kid, but he was also a slave. People don't seem to appreciate the loss of innocence that comes with that. A slave who didn't learn early how to keep secrets ended up sold or dead.  And even if one or two of them had known, why would anyone believe them or care? "Anakin went away to become a Jedi!" / "Nice one kid, get back to work." E

Again, you're looking at it from the audience/Doylist perspective, and assuming that because you have the full picture, that everyone in the story eventually gets the full picture. Maybe 10+ years down the line, Anakin's friends (the ones that are still alive) will hear of a Jedi called Skywalker and wonder if it's a coincidence. But no one will ever know this for sure, or even care enough about it to become this kind of slave legend that would survive across 2 generations. 

Edited by ursula
17 minutes ago, ursula said:

When Shmi sent her son away, she told him not to look back. I highly doubt that the same woman told anybody before Cliegg Lars what happened to her son. No one would believe her for one thing, and those who did would see her - a slave with a Jedi son - as a target.

Jinn didn't go around telling everyone that he was a Jedi when he was hiding out in Naboo. How would anyone know that a Jedi took Anakin?

What friends? The other 9 year old slaves? Why would he? Anakin was a kid, but he was also a slave. People don't seem to appreciate the loss of innocence that comes with that. A slave who didn't learn early how to keep secrets ended up sold or dead.  And even if one or two of them had known, why would anyone believe them or care? "Anakin went away to become a Jedi!" / "Nice one kid, get back to work." E

Again, you're looking at it from the audience/Doylist perspective, and assuming that because you have the full picture, that everyone in the story eventually gets the full picture. Maybe 10+ years down the line, Anakin's friends (the ones that are still alive) will hear of a Jedi called Skywalker and wonder if it's a coincidence. But no one will ever know this for sure, or even care enough about it to become this kind of slave legend that would survive across 2 generations. 

I'm looking at it from several different points. From each of Anakin's slave friends and the town they lived in and still think many would know or figure it out. Anakin figured out Qui Gon was a Jedi I'm sure others did too. They both left together. Also how famous Anakin was during the Clone Wars. Why would Shmi be a threat? Jedi babies are given up by their parents and no one's ever killed them. However I don't think we're ever going to agree on this agree to disagree.    

10 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

I guess that Luke just isn't the sort of person who'd run off and abandon his family for selfish reasons ....

I guess not. Although he might have decided to just go for it sooner or later. Beru mentions that most of his friends were gone. Although with Biggs joining the Rebellion its entirety possible he might have come back to recruit Luke. 

11 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm looking at it from several different points. From each of Anakin's slave friends and the town they lived in and still think many would know or figure it out. Anakin figured out Qui Gon was a Jedi I'm sure others did too.

Anakin figuring out Qui-Gon was a Jedi was part of his sensitivity/ his "special-ness". If every Tom, Dick and Harry on Tatooine figured out that Qui-Gon Jinn was a Jedi while he hiding from the Trade Federation with the Queen of Naboo under his protection then not only would he have been a lousy Jedi, it would have meant that everyone was surprisingly chill with the fact that a Jedi was just strolling around the Tatooine slave circuit, betting on races and collecting a slave kid.  

They both left together. Also how famous Anakin was during the Clone Wars. Why would Shmi be a threat? Jedi babies are given up by their parents and no one's ever killed them.

Jedi babies given up by parents from the Republic where the children were tested at birth (or maybe even pre-birth) and the whole process is regularised and treated as a privileged duty.

Shmi was a slave living on the Outer Rim at the mercy of a master who eventually sold her to a man who "fell in love with her". (Not to cast aspersions on Cliegg's intentions but Wattoo was surprised that Cliegg freed and married her. As far as he cared, he was selling Shmi off to be somebody's chained up sex slave). Why would she go about telling people a story that would make her even more vulnerable than she already was?

Edited by ursula

Entertaining livetweets of all the Star Wars movie sfrom someone named Mar who had never seen them before. Her nicknames for various characters are great(Darth Vader= "Breathtaker", Rey="Sunflower"):

Posts with all her livetweet threads:

They've been causing quite a response in the community. Even Mark Hamill has tweeted her! I think with all the negativity in the fandom lately, to see such enthusiasm and positivity from someone from outside who hasn't been mired in all these fanwars is refreshing. Also she posts stuff like:

*She's talking about Palpatine*

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I just got back from seeing ESB in concert. If you ever get a chance to see Star Wars in concert, it's worth taking. For those not up on this trend, the movie without music plays on a large screen, while underneath an orchestra plays the music. It's the special editions, but it's still Star Wars on the big screen. I haven't seen ESB on the big screen since the 90s rereleases.

Now, I'm not a con goer. Not even local ones. I'm not used to seeing people in costume wandering about, or remote control droids. The experience was quite overpowering. I nearly broke down, though in a good way. Look, someone must have done a study about why certain images affect us this way. It can't be just childhood indoctrination turned into adult love. Does anyone know of any writing on the subject? Not just SW, but the phenomena in general.

However, let me critique Bikini Leia for a moment. I noticed her costume was plastic. Couldn't she shell out for metallic paint? There was something off about Chewbacca too. He barely looked like movie Chewie. I know the costume is based on the body of the person wearing it, but it might have been too hairy or something?

Also, Clive Revill was credited as the voice of the emperor. I should have paid better attention to that scene, I thought it was Ian McDarmid in both face and voice. It's him in my copy of the SE. Anyone know what's going on there?

Finally, Fox Fanfare! Right where it belongs, at the start of Star Wars. I wonder, now that Disney owns Fox, if it'll pop up at the start of Ep IX.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2019 at 12:34 PM, VCRTracking said:

Entertaining livetweets of all the Star Wars movie sfrom someone named Mar who had never seen them before. Her nicknames for various characters are great(Darth Vader= "Breathtaker", Rey="Sunflower"):

Posts with all her livetweet threads:

They've been causing quite a response in the community. Even Mark Hamill has tweeted her! I think with all the negativity in the fandom lately, to see such enthusiasm and positivity from someone from outside who hasn't been mired in all these fanwars is refreshing. Also she posts stuff like:

*She's talking about Palpatine*

OMG. Thank you for bringing this into my life. 

• Love 2