Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

I'm sorry, but no. There were a couple of arcs of TCW I liked, but Rebels put me off. This is at least as bad, if not worse. My appetite for SW is not omniverous.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Joe said:

I'm sorry, but no. There were a couple of arcs of TCW I liked, but Rebels put me off. This is at least as bad, if not worse. My appetite for SW is not omniverous.

I loved TCW and Rebels so I'm going to give this one a shot.

• Love 1

I really thought Rebels really added to the lore of the OT, especially by the end.  They even got easter eggs in Rogue One.

If the Resistance needs a new leader, I dearly wish it could be Hera.

• Love 1

I saw a video earlier. I didn't click on it, reading the description was enough. According to the video-maker, Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy is a lie. It was apparently never happening to start with. Or maybe it's just been cancelled. Other videos claim that Solo underperforming or 'failing' is due to a boycott, and that the campaign is working.

Until I see it on Starwars.com, I don't believe the Johnson claim. And I did check. First time I saw Solo, I didn't like it. I went back a few days later, still didn't like it. That's fine, I have plenty to do between now and next December. I can rewatch the six Star Wars movies I do like. But I disliked Solo on its own merits, not because of any stupid boycott.

Then I had a realisation. Now, I wish more of current Star Wars appealed to me, but I can cope when it doesn't. These people would rather have no Star Wars at all than wonky Star Wars. They would rather have Star Wars die than appeal to people who aren't them. They're the ones who drove Daisy Ridley and Loan Tran off social media. They're the fuckwits I mentioned elsewhere. They aren't real Star Wars fans.

I liked Solo well enough, but not enough to see it multiple times.  There were things I really loved (Chewy, Enfys Nest and her crew, L3-37, the Millennium Falcon) and things I really didn't (everything about Woody Harrelson's character, the overall plotline, the way Val died, among other things), but it's only one movie in a huge franchise so there's plenty more Star Wars related content that I do adore.  I'm not going anywhere as a fan.  

This is the Star Wars content I'm here for.  <3

• Love 2

Luckily I had already seen those pics yesterday! Somebody mentioned set photos were online on Twitter and I thought "Eff it I don't have the will power. I'm going to check them out!"

ETA:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I wasn't a major fan of Solo. What the movie showed me was that my interest in the Star Wars universe lies solely in The Force (and the appearance of ThreePio and Artoo). Or maybe I just honestly didn't are about Han's backstory. There were a couple of moments that felt like Star Wars (that blasting through the wormhole action sequence with the Star Destroyer) but everything was a tad boring for me. I actually contemplated having a sleep at one stage.

While The Last Jedi was very underwhelming for me (as a whole - many moments more great), I'm not gonna quit the franchise and skip the final chapter. Just ditch the over the top humour that appeared at the start of Jedi and I think Episode IX can get the story back on course. But what Solo has taught me, if they decide to keep doing this one shot movies I will only be seeing the ones connected to The Force and Jedi. I have no interest in Boba Fett or anyone like that.

Oooooh Matt Smith, who played the 11th Doctor Who and Prince Phillip in Netflix' The Crown will be in Episode IX! Variety:

‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ Casts Matt Smith in Key Role (EXCLUSIVE)

Matt Smith isn't the first Doctor Who to be in the Star Wars universe. David Tennant(10) won a Daytime Emmy for playing a droid in Star Wars Clone Wars and Tom Baker(4) played the Force-sensitive being, the Bendu in Star Wars Rebels:

• Love 1
On 24/08/2018 at 4:46 PM, VCRTracking said:

Luckily I had already seen those pics yesterday! Somebody mentioned set photos were online on Twitter and I thought "Eff it I don't have the will power. I'm going to check them out!"

ETA:

Hey, cool! I really liked Dominic Monaghan (not least because he grew up less than a mile from where I grew up), and have been bummed that his career seemed to stagnate after Lost (which I never watched). Hopefully this is a big enough role that he gets some positive momentum from it.

9 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Hey, cool! I really liked Dominic Monaghan (not least because he grew up less than a mile from where I grew up), and have been bummed that his career seemed to stagnate after Lost (which I never watched). Hopefully this is a big enough role that he gets some positive momentum from it.

Well, he played opposite Megan Fox in the Rihanna/Eminem video "Love the Way You Lie".

4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Oooooh Matt Smith, who played the 11th Doctor Who and Prince Phillip in Netflix' The Crown will be in Episode IX! Variety:

‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ Casts Matt Smith in Key Role (EXCLUSIVE)

Matt Smith isn't the first Doctor Who to be in the Star Wars universe. David Tennant(10) won a Daytime Emmy for playing a droid in Star Wars Clone Wars and Tom Baker(4) played the Force-sensitive being, the Bendu in Star Wars Rebels:

He isn't even the first Doctor in ep IX. Richard E Grant played 9 in Scream of the Shalka. Yes, it was retconned away by Eccleston, but it was canon at the time. So we can count this as another multi-doctor meetup, like The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, or The Two Doctors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joe said:

He isn't even the first Doctor in ep IX. Richard E Grant played 9 in Scream of the Shalka. Yes, it was retconned away by Eccleston, but it was canon at the time. So we can count this as another multi-doctor meetup, like The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, or The Two Doctors.

Also I had forgotten Peter Cushing had played Doctor Who in two movies in the 60s: Doctor Who and the Daleks and Dalek's Invasion Earth 2150 AD.

image.thumb.png.850640854ce2d677546e85a5878487ee.png

6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Also I had forgotten Peter Cushing had played Doctor Who in two movies in the 60s: Doctor Who and the Daleks and Dalek's Invasion Earth 2150 AD.

Good one. Star Wars is just riddled with Doctors.

• Love 1

This might be old news to some, but has anyone else seen this trailer for the Old Republic game?

Please don't let this kick-off another round of The Last Jedi arguments, but... damn, that was incredible. I feel more pity, horror and (most importantly) understanding of this girl in six minutes than two movies worth of Kylo Ren.  

• Love 2

I can see that. Whoever does the TOR movies is very good at visual storytelling. And while I still love TLJ, there's something about the minimalist approach. Just hit the beats that need to be hit, ditch the rest.

That said, we haven't seen Ren's full story yet. Maybe, hopefully, there will be something in IX to pull it all together.

It's just occurred to me: I was a little perturbed by the amount of new actors joining the cast for episode nine (it feels like they're already juggling SO MANY characters that we don't need any new ones), but now I wonder: could Dominic Monaghan, Matt Smith and Keri Russell be playing Knights of Ren?

These guys were oddly absence from TLJ given their apparent importance to Kylo (and the fact they helped him slaughter the students in Luke's school), and it'll be weird if they're never seen or mentioned at all in 9. I recall that one of the earliest rumours about TLJ was that they'd accompany Kylo to Luke's island and fight with Luke/Rey - this obviously turned out to be false, but it sure sounded cool. And it feels like they SHOULD be important considering they turned up in Rey's vision in TFA. 

(I've skipped Richard E. Grant as he seems a bit too old, and Naomi Ackie is apparently

Spoiler

one of the refugees that Finn/Poe help in the above BTS pictures.)

Also, having watched that Resistance trailer - I'm looking forward to it, though I hope Jacen Syndulla will be incorporated somehow, especially considering his mother's love of flying/links to the Rebellion. It would seem like a catastrophic waste if he didn't appear at some point.

Edited by Ravenya003
spelling

I don't consider Patton Oswalt to be a bastion of what is right with Star Wars fandom.  When someone does a routine about wanting to kill George Lucas because they didn't like the prequels, you lose all credibility with me.  Guys like him and the vile Simon Pegg are one of the reasons we have toxic fandom nowadays.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Joe said:

Rian Johnson's movies weren't mentioned. I know what certain people will put in their next YT video. No, I don't watch them. But I accidentlly clicked on a couple, and now they won't go away.

Yeah I don't watch them but I can't keep video diatribes against TLJ, Rian Johnson, Kathy Kennedy, SJWs, etc out of my "recommended" cue. YouTube doesn't seem to distinguish between positive Star Wars videos(which I will check out) and negative ones.

1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Yeah I don't watch them but I can't keep video diatribes against TLJ, Rian Johnson, Kathy Kennedy, SJWs, etc out of my "recommended" cue. YouTube doesn't seem to distinguish between positive Star Wars videos(which I will check out) and negative ones.

I read somewhere recently that negativity gets more clicks and thus advertising dollars, than positivity. Explains a lot. My bet, they aren't SW fans. Nothing could make them happy. They're just mouthing off for money. Greedy shitheads, I call them.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, VCRTracking said:

Have you tried blocking those channels? I've never used it, but I think it's supposed to stop videos/channels you don't like from popping up in your recommendations.

• Love 1

Kathleen Kennedy's contract has been renewed! Best news I've heard all day, though it's still early here. Seriously, were they going to dump George Lucas' chosen successor because a bunch of nerds whined on the internet? Nerds whine about everything on the internet. I'm a nerd, and I whine about things on the internet. Anyway, that's good news.

Also, I get to see Star Wars in Concert this afternoon! I've been hanging out for this since I heard about it. Admittedly, it was only a couple of months ago. But still. Since the ticket is a birthday present from my parents, I went for the best available. :) So anyway, today is my personal Star Wars Day.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

We'll see if this was the right move in a few years.  Will the Star Wars franchise turn into the MCU or the DCEU?  Episode IX will probably be a big hit but I don't know about anything else. 

You don't want to predict one side or the other? Me, I'm already on the MCU side. In fact, for me, new SW has a better hit rate than the MCU.

In other news, I saw the concert. Wow. That was great. It's weird watching the OT these days. I have several years of jokes, analysis, and general talk in my brain. Even before I discovered SW podcasts, I was into the EU. Sure, not everything is great or even sticks in my mind. I still enjoy the movies. I just can't watch them like I did as a teen any more. I've changed too, of course.

Either way, seeing ANH on the big screen, with live music and a hot crowd? Awesome. Seriously. If you ever get a chance to see an SW concert, take it.

3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I think of them as like modern day Swedes.

I like to think of them as medieval Swedes. Indeed, my favourite Mando is Canderous Ordo, though weirdly I like Walon Vau too. He may have been extreme, but he wasn't actually wrong.

• Love 2

Rumor has it Pedro Pascal might be playing the lead.  I hope that's the case...I could totally see him in that kind of a role.

Another very interesting bit is Clone Wars and Rebels supervising director Dave Filoni will be making the jump to live action.  He'll be directing the first episode along with being one of the show's producers.

I didn't realize that Bryce Dallas Howard has already done some directing although this will be her first crack at doing a television show.

• Love 1

George Lucas looks as happy as ever. As for the Ralph joke, that's fair enough. It's one thing for us fans to mock Ren, but official sources should uphold the official POV.