Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Oh man, I keep getting the feeling that the actual, physical comic side of all these properties is still just a teeming cesspool.  

I've never gotten into any Star Wars comics because either the likenesses of the charactes are too far off or they're too realistic. Drawn from photographs where they have the most neutral expressions so they're like mannequins. The only comics I like are the manga adaption of the original trilogy especially A New Hope. Oh and Tag & Bink Are Dead:

285043._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking

I read the critiques of the comic, and didn't find them substantive. It just read as the readers being mad that the story told wasn't the story that they wanted told... which I didn't fully follow what story they thought should be told instead, but it appeared to be that fanning for villains should be portrayed as an empowering, positive act. I'm unclear how those critiques are any different than the fanboys who complained about Luke not being portrayed the way they wanted him portrayed in TLJ.

The story sounded crappy, to be fair, but I don't think it would be any better with a fanboy either. IMHO, it's just a bad concept all around.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I read the critiques of the comic, and didn't find them substantive. It just read as the readers being mad that the story told wasn't the story that they wanted told... which I didn't fully follow what story they thought should be told instead, but it appeared to be that fanning for villains should be portrayed as an empowering, positive act. I'm unclear how those critiques are any different than the fanboys who complained about Luke not being portrayed the way they wanted him portrayed in TLJ.

The story sounded crappy, to be fair, but I don't think it would be any better with a fanboy either. IMHO, it's just a bad concept all around.

They're not mad it's not the story they want told. They're mad the writer is making fun of fangirls who stan villains. They can write their own Vader story. They don't need a canon one saying how a was stupid for liking Vader.  TLJ didn't give fanboys what they wanted but it didn't show a character being upset that Luke didn't go HAM on the First Order. In fact it ended still being a hero to a bunch of kids playing with a Luke action figure they made and pretending to be him

Edited by VCRTracking

I think Kylo Ren as portrayed in the first two movies is a counterpoint to the claim that the male power fantasy isn't mocked. Times have changed... as have views of people of any genders fanning for villains. 

Also, since things like women fangirling over serial killers is a thing that actually happens in real life, I continue to not buy the critiques. Dressing it up on the language of feminism actually pisses me off because the equivalent female power fantasy isn't sympathizing with Vader instead of emulating him. It's ALSO emulating him. It's of being a FEMALE wielding the power. Wielding power indirectly is what happens when women so internalize misogyny that they can only imagine indirectly wielding power. And taking a fantasy into real life is dangerous.

(also, Christine Daae rejects the Phantom after learning he's been manipulating her, and the Little Mermaid stands up for HERSELF and her own desires/interests and does not fan over a villain, so those were just strange examples in the original critique tweets)

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

I think Kylo Ren as portrayed in the first two movies is a counterpoint to the claim that the male power fantasy isn't mocked. 

What is interesting to me is that I feel that Kylo Ren's pathetic portrayal in the first movie was reconned to make him "dark cool". In the first movie, he was basically a Vader cosplayer, complete with the ridiculous helmet, a "rebel without cause" who hero-worshipped his grandfather because being Dark was cool. He didn't have a dark, tortured past. He wasn't acting out of revenge. He was just... a misguided fandboy. Rey thoroughly kicks his ass in all their encounters and he's just overall pathetic. 

In the second movie, he destroys the helmet, and his entire appearance/attitude gets an upgrade along with it. Now he's no longer Vader 2.0, but he's own evil "man", who is motivated by his own desire for power and control. He gets a dark "romance" with Rey who gets kicked out of the protagonist role to prop his story. Unlike the first movie where Rey wins every battle they come head to head, including the most symbolic one - getting the lightsabre to come to her - she's unable to defeat him in any of their encounters - except the emotional one. 

Which is also relevant to this:

25 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

the equivalent female power fantasy isn't sympathizing with Vader instead of emulating him. It's ALSO emulating him. It's of being a FEMALE wielding the power. Wielding power indirectly is what happens when women so internalize misogyny that they can only imagine indirectly wielding power.

This is precisely what I feel changed for Rey between the two movies. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I really liked the Darth Vader comics written by Kieron Gillen. Some fun reading. However, I couldn't get into the next story arc written by Charles Soule. I was only able to get through a few issues.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:49 AM, ursula said:

What is interesting to me is that I feel that Kylo Ren's pathetic portrayal in the first movie was reconned to make him "dark cool". In the first movie, he was basically a Vader cosplayer, complete with the ridiculous helmet, a "rebel without cause" who hero-worshipped his grandfather because being Dark was cool. He didn't have a dark, tortured past. He wasn't acting out of revenge. He was just... a misguided fandboy. Rey thoroughly kicks his ass in all their encounters and he's just overall pathetic. 

In the second movie, he destroys the helmet, and his entire appearance/attitude gets an upgrade along with it. Now he's no longer Vader 2.0, but he's own evil "man", who is motivated by his own desire for power and control. He gets a dark "romance" with Rey who gets kicked out of the protagonist role to prop his story. Unlike the first movie where Rey wins every battle they come head to head, including the most symbolic one - getting the lightsabre to come to her - she's unable to defeat him in any of their encounters - except the emotional one. 

Which is also relevant to this:

This is precisely what I feel changed for Rey between the two movies. 

Rey defeating Kylo in TFA isn't that impressive if he was always pathetic. Also it makes Finn look weak for losing to him.

It will be interesting to see The Rise of Skywalker if JJ Abrams will give people back the Rey and Kylo of TFA or they'll be like they were in TLJ. My guess it will be neither. It will be different because that's how characters arcs and stories develop. Each installment is informed by the events of the previous one. The Luke of Return of the Jedi is not the same Luke of A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back. Same with Han, Leia and Vader. And these are the movies overseen by the same person.

So Kylo was more Draco Malfoy in TLJ while more Tom Riddle in TLJ? Draco ended up being sympathetic anyway.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:21 AM, Zuleikha said:

Also, since things like women fangirling over serial killers is a thing that actually happens in real life, I continue to not buy the critiques. Dressing it up on the language of feminism actually pisses me off because the equivalent female power fantasy isn't sympathizing with Vader instead of emulating him. It's ALSO emulating him. It's of being a FEMALE wielding the power. Wielding power indirectly is what happens when women so internalize misogyny that they can only imagine indirectly wielding power. And taking a fantasy into real life is dangerous.

That's what happens in the comic. She fantasizes about becoming a Sith too and using Force powers to choke her boss.

Edited by VCRTracking
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Rest in Peace Chewie. Thanks for everything Peter Mayhew.

3 hours ago, WritinMan said:

The passing of people from Star Wars depresses me far more than the passing of other celebrities. Star Wars was so important to me in my childhood. It kind of just takes the wind right out of me.

Me too. Star Wars was just so big and important in my childhood. Its my favorite and always will be. Its really hard to see them pass away. They were just such great characters. Carrie Fisher was hard hit. Princess Leia was so amazing. She fought along slide the men instead of being sideline or just the love interest and sister. Chewie was really great. He piloted the Falcon, fought along side everyone, commandeered the walker that helped turned the ground war on Endor, and shooting Kylo. Peter Mayhew did such a good job. 

• Love 3

Mayhew delivering Chewie's lines has been my favorite BTS Star Wars footage since I first bought the DVDs back in the day.

British Space Ape Chewie, Re Obi Wan in ANH: "That old man is mad!"

Han: "You said it Chewie."

• Love 2

Since 4.05 is allegedly Star Wars Day, some of John Williams' music for Galaxy's Edge has been released. I like it, though I wouldn't call it his best. Reminds me of other Star Wars music, that's trying to be John Williams. Like Rogue One, Solo, or some of the games. Anyone else get that vibe, or is it pure Williams?

I don't mind the two year break before releasing the first one. They'll be coming off wrapping up the big Skywalker series so a break will be nice before they jump back into an entirely new story. I just hate that there will be a gap for the two sequels after that. Especially for Avatar.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

I don't mind the two year break before releasing the first one. They'll be coming off wrapping up the big Skywalker series so a break will be nice before they jump back into an entirely new story. I just hate that there will be a gap for the two sequels after that. Especially for Avatar.

With the gaps, Pete and Alex might actually catch up to the movies. If my maths are correct, they'll do this movie in 2023, but have nothing for 2024. Maybe they'll finally do the holiday special, Ewok, and TCW movies to fill the gaps.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

I don't mind the two year break before releasing the first one. They'll be coming off wrapping up the big Skywalker series so a break will be nice before they jump back into an entirely new story.

Plus there will probably be more smaller scale content on the D+ service, so the gap might not feel as long?  I don't know... 

(edited)

Man I can't believe it's been 20 years! As the article posted above I think I'm more nostalgic of the time than the movie. Feels like yesterday. The problem with the prequels is George Lucas is great at directing movies that are political but disguised as entertainment. He's not good however at making entertaining movies about politics.

32019-1024__88091.1457503231.jpg?c=2?imb

ss02-star-wars.jpg

And the documentary "Making of" that was on the DVD. Recommended for everyone as a "fly on the wall" look at the production.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

I remember being so excited about The Phantom Menace. The trailer looked great, the Duel of the Fates score was played all the time on various music channels. It all seemed so amazing, that there was going to be a new Star Wars movie released in my lifetime (technically, Jedi came out when I was two, but I obviously never saw it at the cinema).

Then I saw the movie. The biggest compliment I can give it is to say it wasn't as bad as Attack of the Clones.

• Love 5

I went and saw it six times when it came out. One with each of my parents, once with my sister-in-law and three times with my best friend. I was so excited at a new Star Wars movie. I wasn't born when the first  two came out and was a baby when the last one came out. So I missed the excitement and fun then. It was really fun in 99. Everyone in the theater was so excited. To watch it with so many Star Wars fans it was so cool. I did like the movie and still do. I like all Star Wars moves with the exception of Solo I haven't seen it yet. I loved the costumes, the ships, the duel of Fates, the podrace, seeing Palpatine, and Coruscant. Seeing the Jedi. And Padme! Luke and Leia's mother! I loved Qui Gon. There are so many parts I loved and still do. Some parts I didn't. Like Jar Jar. He just got annoying really quickly. The Jedi coldly rejecting Anakin and to his face. Not being able to figure out how to get off Tatooine when all they needed to do was what Obi Wan and Luke did decades later, hire one of the pilots to take them to Coruscant. I get all the criticisms but I still loved the movie. It was so fun to finally see a new Star Wars movie.

• Love 1

Rumour from, of all places, Buzzfeed. There's a KOTOR movie in the works, to be written by Laeta Kalogridis. To me, it looks like her career has been more miss than hit. Though it isn't up to me, obviously. I'd be recruiting from book or comic writers.

Anyway, KOTOR. A straight adaptation would be... interesting. Canonically, the lead character was a white man. But you could play as, for example, a black woman. I did mostly, because that was the best looking character model to me. The one with green eyes and ear-length hair, if anyone cares. 🙂

Outside of that, you've got the timeline. 3.5 thousand years before the movies. I'd reduce that to 350 years, which is a long time but not so ridiculous. Which companions do you choose? Do you go back to Tatooine? If it was me, at the very least I'd ditch Jolee Bindo and keep Kashyyyk. Maybe make Bastilla not quite so uptight. Get rid of most sidequests.

However, with Kalogridis, she's worked on the Avatar sequels, which will apparently have an aquatic theme. Which suggests Manaan and the Selkath. God I hated that planet. The ratio of slog to fun was way off.

• Love 3

I wouldn't be convinced that they'd base a movie on the actual plot of the game, though it's something that could easily be done. 

That period of Star Wars lore is probably the most interesting to me, because it's an opportunity to see the Jedi when they were actually relevant and useful, and to learn more about the Sith and their history.

If they did adapt the game, I'd love to see Bastila on the big screen, and Mission Vao. Not too fussed about Carth. I don't know what you do with Revan, when that character can be any gender and any ethnicity, but I would guess they'd at least default to male, because the possibility of romance with Bastila should be more dramatic than that with Carth. They could get brave and make Revan a gay woman, but I'd be very surprised.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I wouldn't be convinced that they'd base a movie on the actual plot of the game, though it's something that could easily be done. 

That period of Star Wars lore is probably the most interesting to me, because it's an opportunity to see the Jedi when they were actually relevant and useful, and to learn more about the Sith and their history.

If they did adapt the game, I'd love to see Bastila on the big screen, and Mission Vao. Not too fussed about Carth. I don't know what you do with Revan, when that character can be any gender and any ethnicity, but I would guess they'd at least default to male, because the possibility of romance with Bastila should be more dramatic than that with Carth. They could get brave and make Revan a gay woman, but I'd be very surprised.

Yeah. Carth wasn't terrible, but he wasn't stellar either. I think the fanbase desperately wants HK-47, though. I'd also like to see Canderous Ordo.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Yeah. Carth wasn't terrible, but he wasn't stellar either. I think the fanbase desperately wants HK-47, though. I'd also like to see Canderous Ordo.

If they could get Josh Brolin to play Canderous Ordo, I'd say they've done a good job.

• Love 2

I'm in Australia, ahead of the dateline. Today is 25 May, the day ANH was released. Forget that dodgy pun, today is Star Wars Day. I'm going to watch Rogue One soon. The rest of you do something Starwarsy other than talking on forums.

• Love 2

Steele Saunders and Jason Ward review Galaxy's Edge. I haven't watched much of it yet, but they seem pretty positive. As you'd expect from a pair of lifelong fans and podcasters. 🙂

On another note, I'm a grown man, allegedly hard-bitten and cynical. But everything I hear about GE just makes me tear up. Please tell me I'm not the only one. I mean, Star Wars has always been real to me. But now I can actually walk around in it. Touch it. Smell it. Eat the food. Experience it at my own pace. Overwhelming.

I just wish they'd build one in Australia, frankly. Even a trip to Sydney is expensive, but it's still quicker, easier, and cheaper than America. They should build one in Europe and another in Asia. Now they've built two, they know what they're doing. Something like this is easier to recreate than create in the first place.

• Love 3

I have heard people admitting they full on burst into tears when they see the Millennium Falcon in person. And, not gonna lie, I'm fairly certain that will be me when I get down there to see it. Which will probably be later this year.

• Love 3
Just now, Dandesun said:

I have heard people admitting they full on burst into tears when they see the Millennium Falcon in person. And, not gonna lie, I'm fairly certain that will be me when I get down there to see it. Which will probably be later this year.

I have an Orlando trip booked for December.  I am hoping Rise of the Resistance will be open by then.

And yeah, I think they could get me with the merchandise.

• Love 2