Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

Well, this is uncomfortable. Bob Iger says that George Lucas didn't like Disney's plans for Star Wars. Even though Iger made it clear that Disney wasn't going to be bound by Lucas' ideas, Lucas wanted them done anyway. Iger asked Lucas not to trash Disney in public, but Lucas did that anyway.

Storywise, I agree that TFA played it a little too safe. Technically, what did Lucas actually want? Maybe if it got into some of the MCU size shenanigans, would that be the go? Maybe I lack imagination, but I can't think of what else to do.

Given that Lucas once said that people wouldn't like what he had planned for a sequel trilogy, and I do like most of the new movies*, I have to come down just on the Iger side of the line.

*I didn't like Solo.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Storywise, I agree that TFA played it a little too safe. Technically, what did Lucas actually want? Maybe if it got into some of the MCU size shenanigans, would that be the go? Maybe I lack imagination, but I can't think of what else to do.

I think it was more to do with coming up with new designs for ships and vehicles and different worlds than stuff we've seen. P

The conflict between creators and fans is: creators don't want to do the same old thing, they want to keep doing new things but they do it in the same style.  Fans want the same old stuff but done differently.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I think it was more to do with coming up with new designs for ships and vehicles and different worlds than stuff we've seen. P

The conflict between creators and fans is: creators don't want to do the same old thing, they want to keep doing new things but they do it in the same style.  Fans want the same old stuff but done differently.

The same but different is a tricky line to walk. I like to think I lean towards different, but considering how much I love TFA maybe I actually want the same.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

No! You can't have him!

Not that I think he would let this effect the MCU but I'd hate to see the dude stretched too thin and have this effect the MCU.

Now that he isn't producing another Spider-Man movie, he has time.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:37 PM, Anduin said:

Well, this is uncomfortable. Bob Iger says that George Lucas didn't like Disney's plans for Star Wars. Even though Iger made it clear that Disney wasn't going to be bound by Lucas' ideas, Lucas wanted them done anyway. Iger asked Lucas not to trash Disney in public, but Lucas did that anyway.

Given that Lucas once said that people wouldn't like what he had planned for a sequel trilogy, and I do like most of the new movies*, I have to come down just on the Iger side of the line.

*I didn't like Solo.

Eh, I didn't like any of Lucas's plans for Star Wars. At least, going off what he produced with the prequels. Lazy, unimaginative and dictatorial film-making, with no willingness at all to veer from a predetermined end point.

I very much doubt any sequels he wrote would have been any better. 

Everything Disney has done with Star Wars is infinitely better than those prequels, in my opinion. Even with the flaws that are undeniably there, it at least seems like the movies were made with the idea in mind that they're meant to be entertaining.

• Love 7
On 9/28/2019 at 3:56 AM, Danny Franks said:

Eh, I didn't like any of Lucas's plans for Star Wars. At least, going off what he produced with the prequels. Lazy, unimaginative and dictatorial film-making, with no willingness at all to veer from a predetermined end point.

I very much doubt any sequels he wrote would have been any better. 

Everything Disney has done with Star Wars is infinitely better than those prequels, in my opinion. Even with the flaws that are undeniably there, it at least seems like the movies were made with the idea in mind that they're meant to be entertaining.

The way I look at it, the prequels are like the Holinshed's Chronicles, a source for better writers to create stories from.

• LOL 1

Some days I just don't get fans. JJ talks about why he brought Palpatine back.

“Some people feel like we shouldn’t revisit the idea of Palpatine, and I completely understand that,” Abrams concedes. “But if you’re looking at these nine films as one story, I don’t know many books where the last few chapters have nothing to do with those that have come before. If you look at the first eight films, all the set-ups of what we’re doing in IX are there in plain view."

Okay, makes sense. At least in concept I buy in. Depends if I like the execution. But so far, I'm interested. Some people are getting stuck in in the comments. Oh, JJ is changing and ruining everything. Hang on, isn't that what they said about Rian Johnson? Everyone loved JJ until a couple of months back. They're trying to rewrite history. This guy was too safe, that guy was too radical. What the hell do they want out of new Star Wars?

I swear, if I could ban people from going to the cinema, these bozos would be top of my list. Let them sit at home and whine. They don't bloody deserve Star Wars.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Anduin said:

Okay, makes sense. At least in concept I buy in. Depends if I like the execution. But so far, I'm interested. Some people are getting stuck in in the comments. Oh, JJ is changing and ruining everything. Hang on, isn't that what they said about Rian Johnson? Everyone loved JJ until a couple of months back. They're trying to rewrite history. This guy was too safe, that guy was too radical. What the hell do they want out of new Star Wars?

Reposting a post from shortly after The Last Jedi destroyed everyone's hopes and dreams for Star Wars until the end of time.

"To help JJ plan the next film here's the perfect formula:

Make it the same as the original trilogy, but also make it different. But dont change anything. Make sure to include surprises, but not surprises we dont want. In fact avoid surprises. But dont rehash anything. Also dont try something new, because we wont like it. Make sure to do justice to the cast, but we wont say how. Just make sure to get it right. I want it to be exactly the way I want it. Just a bit different. And also the same. Make sure we know the back story to all the characters even the incidental ones (because we are all speculating and you better be reading my mind) but leave it mysterious at the same time. No CGI! Keep it practical. But make sure to expand the universe like the prequels did, you know, using CGI. Also dont do anything the prequels did. Or Force Awakens. Or the original trilogy. But make it like those films too. Give it some humour too. But dont make it too funny. Show us some new force powers! But not ones we havent seen before because new powers are ridiculous. Dont kill anyone! it betrays my childhood. But also make it unpredictable by killing off a few characters.

Clear? Good."

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Reposting a post from shortly after The Last Jedi destroyed everyone's hopes and dreams for Star Wars until the end of time.

"To help JJ plan the next film here's the perfect formula:

Make it the same as the original trilogy, but also make it different. But dont change anything. Make sure to include surprises, but not surprises we dont want. In fact avoid surprises. But dont rehash anything. Also dont try something new, because we wont like it. Make sure to do justice to the cast, but we wont say how. Just make sure to get it right. I want it to be exactly the way I want it. Just a bit different. And also the same. Make sure we know the back story to all the characters even the incidental ones (because we are all speculating and you better be reading my mind) but leave it mysterious at the same time. No CGI! Keep it practical. But make sure to expand the universe like the prequels did, you know, using CGI. Also dont do anything the prequels did. Or Force Awakens. Or the original trilogy. But make it like those films too. Give it some humour too. But dont make it too funny. Show us some new force powers! But not ones we havent seen before because new powers are ridiculous. Dont kill anyone! it betrays my childhood. But also make it unpredictable by killing off a few characters.

Clear? Good."

I have to laugh or else I'd cry. You've got it in one. While I wish the fanbase would make up its mind, I realise that that will never happen.

14 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

It makes sense when you remember that Vader is in fact Anakin, who always had a flair for lines both witty and clumsy. "I couldn't find one in the right colour." From AOTC. It's the same thing. It's like poet-- No, I won't go down that route.

• Love 2

The OED goes Star Wars, with entries for Jedi, Lightsabre, and Padawan. I particularly like Lightsabre, because I always use Britstralian spelling when possible. Of course the Oxford dictionary would do the same.

Edit! I thought we had a Cassian thread. But Tony Gilroy might be coming back? Even to write, not just direct. That's weird, because he isn't a SW fan. IIRC, he just came in because he was asked and they paid him well.

Edited by Anduin

Just an idle thought. I bet I know the release date of the next SW movie after TROS. The week of 25 May, 2027. If I were Kathleen Kennedy, I might put it into production a bit ahead of schedule, to handle any problems that may arise.

However, eight years is a long time to go without installments in a series. Despite Star Wars having done so before. Maybe I'd put another one out in 2024 or 25.* Either way, I expect something to be out on the anniversary. Maybe that's when they'll finally release the original original trilogy. 🙂

*Given the choice, I'd put out at least one SW movie every year. But it isn't up to me.

3 hours ago, Anduin said:

Just an idle thought. I bet I know the release date of the next SW movie after TROS. The week of 25 May, 2027. If I were Kathleen Kennedy, I might put it into production a bit ahead of schedule, to handle any problems that may arise.

They already released the dates.  The next Star Wars Trilogy (by D&D - from Game of Thrones) premiere's 12/16/22.

6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

They already released the dates.  The next Star Wars Trilogy (by D&D - from Game of Thrones) premiere's 12/16/22.

Thanks, I must have missed that. December again. Fair enough. After Solo underperformed, I can understand why they're sticking to Christmas from now on. Still, I expect something on the week of the anniversary. A bit early to speculate, but since when has that ever stopped anyone? So if not a new movie, maybe a rerelease of ANH.

51 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Thanks, I must have missed that. December again. Fair enough. After Solo underperformed, I can understand why they're sticking to Christmas from now on. Still, I expect something on the week of the anniversary. A bit early to speculate, but since when has that ever stopped anyone? So if not a new movie, maybe a rerelease of ANH.

So far Disney has only reserved 1 date in 2027, that's Avatar 5 in December.

https://d23.com/every-disney-movie-cant-wait-see-2027/

I'm sure they will have more movies in 2027 but, I expect May will be reserved for Marvel

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So far Disney has only reserved 1 date in 2027, that's Avatar 5 in December.

https://d23.com/every-disney-movie-cant-wait-see-2027/

I'm sure they will have more movies in 2027 but, I expect May will be reserved for Marvel

Then I lean towards rerelease. Cater to the hardcore fans who won't be put off by the presence of the MCU. I disliked Solo on its own lack of merits. Kevin Fiege didn't come to my house and tell me not to watch it.

25 minutes ago, ApathyMonger said:

I know they claim they're too busy for Star Wars, but I'm not convinced. If I had a choice between Star Wars and pretty much anything else, I can't imagine what the other thing would be. My bet, Kathy Kennedy is a GOT fan who was annoyed by the finale. Or advised by same.

This separation must have been in the works for a few weeks, I bet, but funny that it happened the same day as this hit the headlines. One then the other, it really seems like kicking them when they're down. But many people have had long Hollywood careers despite a lack of skill. They'll be all right.

The big question, who's going to fill their slot? Will Rian Johnson come back early? Fiege? Someone new?

7 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

So D&D rushed through the final season of Game of Thrones so they could begin work on a Star Was trilogy, only to abandon the project.  Great work, you guys...

Another swing and a miss by Kathleen Kennedy.  She's had a lot of them.

I can't say I'm sorry though.  I was a big fan of Game of Thrones but not a big fan of many of the choices they made on it.  The last season was further reason I'm glad they aren't making any Star Wars films.

• Love 3

They walked away from a Star Wars deal?! Ha, I think not. More likely Disney, and by Disney, I mean Feige gave them their walking papers. I won't be surprised if Rian Johnson is next. I thought this would happen as soon as I read that Feige was working on a Star Wars movie with Kathleen Kennedy. He isn't going to want to people he didn't choose doing movies or other projects with Star Wars. Feige likes everything streamlined. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, benteen said:

So D&D rushed through the final season of Game of Thrones so they could begin work on a Star Was trilogy, only to abandon the project.  Great work, you guys...

Another swing and a miss by Kathleen Kennedy.  She's had a lot of them.

I can't say I'm sorry though.  I was a big fan of Game of Thrones but not a big fan of many of the choices they made on it.  The last season was further reason I'm glad they aren't making any Star Wars films.

Recently D&D put their foot in their mouths admitting they had no idea what they were doing when they first adapting Game of Thrones and were completely out of their depths the first season.

Fans were REALLY pissed off by this discovery. Read the thread, it's really something. 

Tennisgurl on the Game of Thrones media thread said it best:

So D&D really are just a pair of random schmucks who stumbled into this job through nepotism and dumb luck?! I just picture these guys wandering into HBO looking for the bathroom, and happening into a board meeting by accident, and leaving with a massive ass TV show. Although, them admitting that they had no clue what they were doing and the shows success was basically all on the individual actors/writers/directors/other behind the scenes people really explains a lot, especially the last few seasons. 

Its fitting that after D&D rushed through the ending of GoT to get to do Star Wars, they actually ended up being dumped by Star Wars who it turns out, shockingly, wasnt thrilled about handing the keys to the kingdom to two guys who just admitted to be utterly mediocre and not liking or wanting to do fantasy to begin with. Yeah they can all say it was just because of scheduling issues, but thats a pretty big coincidence that the give this whole interview, and then announce being dumped by Star Wars. 

I theorize Lucasfilm wanted to can them for a while but this latest misstep gave them the perfect timing to fire them.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Its fitting that after D&D rushed through the ending of GoT to get to do Star Wars, they actually ended up being dumped by Star Wars

And now all they've got to look forward to is (checks notes) a five-year, $200m deal from Netflix.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I theorize Lucasfilm wanted to can them for a while but this latest misstep gave them the perfect timing to fire them.

I don’t even know if it was this misstep as much as Feige just cleaning house. I do agree that Lucasfilm has been looking to can them for a while though...they really, really, REALLY didn’t stick the landing on GoT and there is no way the Star Wars people didn’t notice. Same as with Rian Johnson, it was noticeable that after the initial fanfare of inking them, once the receipts on GoT’s end came in as overwhelmingly mixed, suddenly you didn’t hear anything about them at all.

• Love 1

Thank the STARS! I don’t watch Game of Thrones, but I read all about the crap about the end of the show-and then that thread by ForArya. The line about them taking the Fantasy out of a Fantasy book series and then how they were making the show for NFL players and Moms(which makes you wonder about all the rape and murder scenes) made me die inside that Star Wars gave them a job. 

I hope Kathleen called them up and said “Thanks but no thanks.”

Disney! Can we get some lady directors up in this series. PLEASE.

• Love 4

I dunno, it’s been nearly three months since the Netflix deal was announced- to me that feels like a reasonable amount of time for Benioff and Weiss to figure out their priorities.  And shockingly, it appears they chose to focus on their $200 million development contract, and not the other project for their new employers’ most bitter rival.  Look, I’m glad these guys are off Star Wars- but I just don’t see the controversy here.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, Anduin said:

I know they claim they're too busy for Star Wars, but I'm not convinced. If I had a choice between Star Wars and pretty much anything else, I can't imagine what the other thing would be. My bet, Kathy Kennedy is a GOT fan who was annoyed by the finale. Or advised by same.

I imagine they were told that their trilogy wasn't happening, but allowed to leave with dignity. It might not be admitted by anyone involved, but I think the negative publicity around GoT season 8, and the pretty terrible way these two schmucks handled it, will have put Disney off. Not to mention the actual execution of that final season.

Remember, when they signed that deal, they were a triumphant final season away from being acclaimed as the greatest television writers in the world (despite the very obvious drop in quality of the show in later seasons). But they absolutely blew it. They botched the final season so badly that even cast members started throwing shade in interviews.

Also, these two thought a show glorifying the Confederacy was a good idea for the political and social environment of 2019, so we really have to question their judgement in general.

Regarding Netflix, for every good, creative and interesting piece of media they create (or buy), there are a dozen shonky, derivative and low-budget pieces of rubbish. They aren't a Mecca for creative talent, by any means. $200million sounds amazing, but that money will be paid on Netflix's terms, not D&D's, and it will not come with the industry cachet that creating a Star Wars trilogy for Disney will.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SimoneS said:

They walked away from a Star Wars deal?! Ha, I think not. More likely Disney, and by Disney, I mean Feige gave them their walking papers. I won't be surprised if Rian Johnson is next. I thought this would happen as soon as I read that Feige was working on a Star Wars movie with Kathleen Kennedy. He isn't going to want to people he didn't choose doing movies or other projects with Star Wars. Feige likes everything streamlined. 

If Feige fired the both of them and will do the same to Rian Johnson, that would be a very promising development.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, benteen said:

If Feige fired the both of them and will do the same to Rian Johnson, that would be a very promising development.

Feige isn't in charge of Star Wars. That's Kathleen Kennedy's decision. Yes, he will produce a movie at some point in the future. But that doesn't give him supreme power right at this moment.

Besides, once again, TLJ is actually pretty good.

• Love 6

I would be all for the sequels being the story of Luke, Han and Leia reliving the glory days and saving the galaxy if there had been new vehicles, new worlds, aliens, with nothing left of the OT and everything moved beyond it.  If they made it really feel like different era with a different look then having Luke and company show these "young whippersnappers" how to be heroes would work. However, since they decided to go "retro" with nothing changed and TIE fighters and Stormtroopers still around then the story where they failed and the newer generation fix things makes more sense.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Iger basically confirming that Disney cutting back on the production of Star Wars' films which I think is a really good decision. Wait and see the film that Feige and Kennedy come up with before committing to any additional films. 

‘Star Wars’ Slowdown Is A Disney Priority, CEO Bob Iger Says: “Less Is More”

https://deadline.com/2019/11/star-wars-slowdown-is-a-disney-priority-ceo-bob-iger-says-less-is-more-1202776823/

In the Rian Johnson interview below, he says that “We’re still engaged with Lucasfilm and we’ll wait and see,” Johnson said. “No updates on it at this moment, but yeah.” So he doesn't actually have a development deal. Like I said before, I wouldn't count on that happening.

Rian Johnson Says He’s Still In Talks For More ‘Star Wars’, And That Angry ‘Last Jedi’ Tweets Helped Inspire ‘Knives Out’

https://deadline.com/2019/11/rian-johnson-star-wars-talks-knives-out-last-jedi-twitter-inspiration-1202775691/comment-page-1/#comments

Edited by SimoneS

Honestly, I'm more excited for the TV Stuff.

I really want something based on/in the Old Republic. I'm hesitant to say a KOTOR series/trilogy because they'd probably screw it up. Not a slam on Lucasfilm just that nothing will probably compare to the game. Plus, I always played Reven as a female and 9/10 went Darkside with her and the 'canon' Reven is male.

• Love 1

I watched the Phantom Menace with my six year old on the weekend because we recorded it off tv and she loves Star Wars. I hadn't seen it since it was in theatres and kind of forgot how really bad it was. The interesting part was though watching it through her eyes and figuring out what she thought. I read the opening crawl to her and as I did I realized it would probably make no sense. There is all kinds of other pointless subtitles and the Gungans messed up English is really hard to understand.

Plus I have to imagine that compared to the cgi she has grown up on Jar Jar probably looked really crappy. I think her favourite part was when I pointed out the Wookies in the Senate chamber, Chewie is her favorite character to the point where she has a Chewie poster on her wall.

Also just as a parent why the hell did Qui gon take Anakin back to what was basically a war zone on Naboo at the end? 

And also as a parent I felt super bad for Jake Lloyd. The kid is super awkward on screen (not that it is really his fault what with being a small kid and all) and the dumb dialog he had to read didn't really help. If anyone would have benefitted from a decent script and actual direction it would have been him.

Lastly if you can use a pod racer as something to bet in exchange for a slave, why can't you then use that same pod racer to barter for another slave?

• Love 2

There are a lot of good ideas in the PT, they just aren't properly done or followed-through. In the middle of ROTS, Anakin is still on the light side. Yeah, he's frustrated, worried, and confused. But his turn could have come sooner if Lucas had started the story later in Anakin's life. We could have had more Mustafar-style Vader before he winds up in the suit. Older Obi-Wan too.

Still, I'm glad her favourite character is Chewie. You've won parenting. Me? Biased? I don't know what you mean.

The CG isn't that bad, is it? I saw the 3D rerelease in the cinema, hoping that if the PT was done, so would the OT. And the CG was touched up for that. OTOH, I rewatched the Matrix earlier this year. That came out the same year as TPM. At the time, I thought that CG had finally cracked the reality barrier. Spoiler, it hadn't.

Also just as a parent why the hell did Qui gon take Anakin back to what was basically a war zone on Naboo at the end? 

IIRC, Qui-Gon is still assigned to look after Amidala. Amidala wants to go back and free her people. Thus, Qui-Gon has to go too. Now, the Jedi council won't take Anakin on as an official padawan. However, Qui-Gon will train him off the books. Thus, Anakin goes to Naboo.

Lastly if you can use a pod racer as something to bet in exchange for a slave, why can't you then use that same pod racer to barter for another slave?

Qui-Gon is ready to leave Tatooine at that point. Besides, Jedi aren't supposed to have attachments. Shmi didn't seem badly off by slave standards. Everything is good, it's time to go.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Anduin said:

Still, I'm glad her favourite character is Chewie. You've won parenting. Me? Biased? I don't know what you mean.

I kind of did I think her favourite fictional characters are Chewie and Spiderman. Her walls are painted pink with butterfly decals but on them she has the Chewie poster, a baby Groot poster and the Infinity War calendar. The funny thing is I am not really a huge Star Wars fan (although I am a huge super hero fan).

15 hours ago, Anduin said:

Qui-Gon is still assigned to look after Amidala. Amidala wants to go back and free her people. Thus, Qui-Gon has to go too. Now, the Jedi council won't take Anakin on as an official padawan. However, Qui-Gon will train him off the books. Thus, Anakin goes to Naboo.

I get why they did it from a story (although they could have come up with a better explanation). Because really Qui-Gon is on a planet where he lives that is a giant city. He personally knows an important Queen and the president of the galaxy. But he couldn't find a babysitter for Anakin (or even a babysitter droid) and instead took him to a warzone.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I kind of did I think her favourite fictional characters are Chewie and Spiderman. Her walls are painted pink with butterfly decals but on them she has the Chewie poster, a baby Groot poster and the Infinity War calendar. The funny thing is I am not really a huge Star Wars fan (although I am a huge super hero fan).

I get why they did it from a story (although they could have come up with a better explanation). Because really Qui-Gon is on a planet where he lives that is a giant city. He personally knows an important Queen and the president of the galaxy. But he couldn't find a babysitter for Anakin (or even a babysitter droid) and instead took him to a warzone.

Yeah, that's what's weird. Okay, so the Jedi said no to training but they couldn't babysit him for a day or two? Or find someone who would? Or a droid babysitter. Nope let Qui-Gon take the boy into a warzone. The council and Qui-Gon think that's a good idea? 

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, that's what's weird. Okay, so the Jedi said no to training but they couldn't babysit him for a day or two? Or find someone who would? Or a droid babysitter. Nope let Qui-Gon take the boy into a warzone. The council and Qui-Gon think that's a good idea? 

I don't think the council really cares at that point. They're so full of ritual and procedure that if Anakin dies, they may not even notice.

It would have been interesting sequel trilogy idea to see a Jedi council that had learned from past mistakes. While I like what we got, it would have been nice to see something that wasn't so familiar.

OTOH, every depiction of the council I can think of has been portrayed as antagonistic and overly stuffy. From Dawn of the Jedi to Legacy. Like, the minute they were formed in the EU, they calcified. Can anyone think of a situation where they were forward-thinking and helpful?

• Love 1