Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

dcalley
  • Start Topic

Six episodes starting January 18 at 10:00 PM ET (check local listings).

Set in the English countryside’s most idyllic village, Grantchester follows two unlikely allies as they solve a series of cases that reveal the dark side of early 1950s England.

Handsome, young vicar Sidney Chambers (James Norton) shares his spiritual duties with a love of jazz, complicated relationships with women, and an enthusiasm for amateur sleuthing. When the concern of a parishioner compels him to dig deeper into a grisly suicide, he gets on the nerve of a tired, local law enforcement officer—Inspector Geordie Keating (Robson Green). Fortunately, the cleric and the cop bond over their war service, their love of a good pub, and their competitive instincts—in this case, for backgammon.

Grantchester is based on the acclaimed novel Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by James Runcie...

Preview

And there's a black lab puppy named Dickens!

• Love 3

I've already seen all six episodes and I enjoyed them very much and am looking forward to season 2. I watched for Robson Green because I loved him in "Wire in the Blood" and "Touching Evil" and he is just as good in this. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the actor playing the vicar (James Norton, who I've never seen before) is excellent as Sidney Chambers.

I'll be interested to see others thoughts on this one. I may do a re-watch since I'm sure I'll catch things I missed the first go round.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 6

Yes, it was announced last November that it was getting a second season. It did well in the ratings with 6.6M viewers and a 24% share. The article didn't give a date when it would return but did say it will be based on the second Sidney Chambers novel. (I haven't read them either.)

• Love 1

The PBS  trailers for this are looking really good.  I have seen Robson Green in many things over the years and he is always good. I am interested to see the other younger actor in his role because I saw him recently in HAPPY VALLEY and lets just say he was superb in that. I am assuming he is playing a very different character in Grantchester.

Well, that was absolutely charming! Loved the relationship between the vicar and the detective, and he had great chemistry with all the ladies.

Plus, Dickens! I could see the name coming a mile away, but still smiled at the reveal.

• Love 1

I like all the actors, and the scenery is gorgeous, but the show is almost too cozy for me. I hope subsequent episodes have a bit more of an edge.

It's fun to see James Norton as a vicar after his chilling turn in Happy Valley.

• Love 2

Loved it. I'm partial to cosy - too much real life ugliness to watch too many edgy dramas for entertainment.

The actors were all good - the two leads in particular - great chemistry there (that's the non sexual chemistry). It was also a lovely production - scenery, settings, costumes, camera work - first rate.

• Love 9

Yay, indeed!

I,too, fell for Robson Green during "Reckless," and was struck by the fact that he stole, "Foyle's" wife in that and now he's taken a good bit of Foyle's role here.  The man can make those high waisted pants look good, what does that tell you?

Yes, give me cozy please. I gave up,  "Elementary" in spite of the great cast after too many torture scenes.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who's a sucker for a dog, and a gamboling puppy yet!  I originally  got hooked on "Doc Martin" while looking for dog sightings and Dickens is going to do the same thing for this show.

• Love 3

The sad thing is, I pegged the killer the minute we were introduced to the character. I was hoping it would be somebody else, but when doesn't a Britmystery default to blaming the mousy lady whose reason for the crime is some version of unrequited love or misplaced maternalism?  That the detectives can look on with condescension and pity? Guh.

(On the other hand, OMG Puppeh!)

• Love 3

The sad thing is, I pegged the killer the minute we were introduced to the character. I was hoping it would be somebody else, but when doesn't a Britmystery default to blaming the mousy lady whose reason for the crime is some version of unrequited love or misplaced maternalism?  That the detectives can look on with condescension and pity? Guh.

I was totally wrong-footed, but after reading your post, maybe it's because I haven't watched a lot of "Britmysteries". I thought that it actually was the business partner and that the letter was the victim explaining why he was leaving the business. I also thought that it would be a good twist to have the partner's wife say that he did it, then the vicar does all the investigating and it turns out she was right-a linear story instead of a twist. The secretary never dawned on me as a suspect. So initially I though "Hah! I have you all figured out!" Wrong.

I liked it-I plan to watch it again next week.

when doesn't a Britmystery default to blaming the mousy lady whose reason for the crime is some version of unrequited love or misplaced maternalism?  That the detectives can look on with condescension and pity? Guh.

I found this deeply disappointing, too. If the secretary had to be the killer, why couldn't it have been because the guy was married to a German? There was some xenophobia toward her anyway from the town, so it wouldn't have been totally out of the blue. But the spinster unhinged by lurve? Ugh.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

I didn't peg the murderer either. I was leaning towards the business partner too.

Frankly, I don't think I will be watching this series for the murders, like in Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries the draw for me is other things like character chemistry and atmosphere, etc. . 

I pegged the killer right away, too, and the reason as soon as I saw her crying, but that didn't take anything away from my enjoyment of the show.  I love this show and don't want it to turn into something darker (plenty of those out there).  It's charming just the way it is.   

Robson Green rarely disappoints so I was glad to see him pop up in something new.  If you want to see James Norton in something else try Happy Valley which can be found on Netflix.   It's a really good series.  Norton plays a totally different type of character and after seeing him in this he's clearly a very good actor.

Happy to hear this has been renewed.  I'm sold based on the first episode.  I should have realized that the secretary was involved considering how the camera focused on her during the funeral.  She wasn't featured much after that so I forgot all about her.

• Love 2

Watched last night. Pretty enough but awfully thin soup and seriously trope reliant. Hope it improves as we get to know the characters and setting. I'll stay tuned, but confess I was a bit disappointed when it was all over -- At the reveal, all I could say was, "Is that all there is?" and look at the clock because the hour could not be over, and it wasn't, but the story largely was. YMMV.

• Love 3

Watched last night. Pretty enough but awfully thin soup and seriously trope reliant. Hope it improves as we get to know the characters and setting. I'll stay tuned, but confess I was a bit disappointed when it was all over -- At the reveal, all I could say was, "Is that all there is?" and look at the clock because the hour could not be over, and it wasn't, but the story largely was. YMMV.

I actually dozed off partway through.  Luckily I was taping it so I saw the rest but I wasn't greatly impressed.  It was nice enough, and yeah, Robson Green on my tv again, but the mystery just seemed lackluster to me, and that woman with whom the lovely vicar (yes, he was lovely) is apparently in love - just no.  Still, I'll probably watch the rest of it because, you know, RG.

I loved the scene towards the end where the German lady is  leaving by train and she looks so sad. And then she sees the vicar riding his bike next to her train compartment wishing her farewell and her face lights up.

• Love 6

So glad I found this forum!! Just watched this morning and loved it.  

My PBS station airs this after Downton, and this is a nice change of pace.  Maybe Sydney could solve all the murders Bates is involved in. 

I thought it might be the secretary, but then the letter made me think it was the mistress that went to Sydney.  

James Norton & Robson Greene are great but the puppy showing up sealed the deal for me.  I think Dickens might have to be my Teddy's new nickname when he's being bad. 

I didn't recognize James Norton from Happy Valley at all. I had to go look at the photos on IMDB. Good-looking and versatile.

I'm so glad Robson Green is back on my TV screen. I've been getting my dose on Netflix until they pulled Touching Evil and Wire In the Blood. Now I'm happy again.

I like both crime dramas with edge and cozy-ish dramas so I'm looking forward to the rest of the season of this one. It took me a while to get into this mystery because I was trying to get a feel for all the characters. Love Dickens. You can't go wrong with a cute puppy. 

As for the culprit, I had the wife pegged because the German always did it. I didn't find the secretary mousy  (thought she was quite pretty) or old enough to be on the shelf, so I really don't find her being the murderer a cliche other than the unrequited love/scorned mistress angle.

• Love 4

I am really tempted to read the books the TV series is based on. I am fascinated by the biography of the author and the father of the author - striking kind of close to real life here with several aspects of the fictional vicar's background and life. 

One books spoiler I came across accidently by reading goodreads synopsis surprised me - 

Sidney falling in love with and marrying Hildegarde later in the stories. Going by the first episode I had assumed he would stay single and pine away for Amanda forever And that Hildegarde was an one off character.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11133894/james-runcie-on-grantchester.html

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2

I loved this one too and I am a sucker for a British cozy. I've seen the main actor in something else recently (not Happy Valley, though I really want to check that out), and I was so distracted by his resemblance to Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights.

The similarities are still there (the cheekbones, my god, the cheekbones!), but luckily it wasn't so distracting here.

Edited by Deanie87

I liked it. James Norton is hot, so I was predisposed to like this show.  I figured out the motive for the murder, but not the actual murderer. It was obvious that the letter was the victim breaking up with one of his women. I agree that it was kind of annoying to make it the "there's nothing to see here" secretary that kept fading into the background.

I like that Robson Green was quick to jump on the "vicar investigates!" bandwagon.  I'm happy we won't have to sit through several episodes of the cops yelling at the vicar to stay out of police business.

How did you guys feel about that chick Sidney was obviously in love with? It seems like she was keeping Sidney on the hook.  She obviously knew about his feelings, but doesn't tell him she is seriously dating another man? She just tells him over the damn phone, "Sidney! By the by, I'm getting married. Well, good luck with that whole being in love with me thing. I do hope it works out for you." Not cool. And sure, the puppy was adorable, but who has unannounced pets delivered to someone's house? Especially under the circumstance of "I can't give you my love, but I can buy a dog."

I like that this painful situation wasn't just character development, it dovetailed with the plot of the show.

Sidney's broken heart aside, he did seem to be awfully chummy with the German woman. I was wondering if they were going to make out in one scene.

How did you guys feel about that chick Sidney was obviously in love with?

Lets just say I didn't immediately warm to her and it didn't help that the way she sprang the engagement on him was very odd and callous. But she gave Sidney the adorable puppy so I can't totally hate on her. Going by the one episode we have seen she is clearly fond of him but his feelings for her go deeper. They have the vibe of longtime - maybe childhood ? - sweethearts.

• Love 2

My library doesn't have any of the books. Has anybody here read them? It seems every book so far is a collection of shorter stories connected through events in Sidney's life. So that's a different story structure from most mysteries I am familiar with. Also, unlike with a character like for example Poirot who always seemed the same to me until that final mystery, Sidney gets older, there are significant changes in his life, etc.

I really didn't like his "girlfriend" who seems to be using him as a backup in case she doesn't get the rich guy.  I hope they don't reverse this in future episodes.  I want her to stay the person I dislike. 

There was a genuine warmth and connection between him and the German lady.   Loved the scene where he was riding his bike next to the train she was on.  

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2

I did try to watch him in "Happy Valley" but I just couldn't do it.  I guess I'm just not an edgy kind of viewer.  One would think one would become tougher as one gets older, but I'm headed into old age now and there are some things that I know exist in the real world that I do not want to see in my fiction.

Same here. After reading that James Norton was in "Happy Valley", I thought I would give it a try. I didn't make it past the second episode. I really thought I would like it since I loved shows like "Luther" "Prime Suspect" and "Lewis". It also had Steve Pemberton from "Whitechapel". Oh well. It was weird seeing Sidney

as a sociopath with a bad dye job.

• Love 1

Great second episode. This show is not breaking any new ground in the mystery genre but the ground it covers I find so lovely to watch. And James Norton has that thing they call star quality and chemistry with everyone and everything. And while his character is of course way ahead of his time Sidney is flawed and vulnerable enough that one doesn't see some perfect Gary Stu but a young man who has an intelligent humanity and wants to think the best of people.

And it really amuses me that here is a clergy man who can't be fazed when confronted with sexuality. That alone is so refreshing.

But where the Dickens was Dickens? I missed the puppy dog.

• Love 2

I really like this show!  I'm generally wary when tv tackles religion, and especially clergy, but they seen to be avoiding cliches both offensive and banal.  I especially like the relationship between Sidney and Georgie -- after their first encounter, I was worried they would fall into a pattern of clever Sidney figuring out all the crimes and unimaginative Geordie always threatening to arrest him for interfering. *cough*FatherBrown*cough*

And it really amuses me that here is a clergy man who can't be fazed when confronted with sexuality. That alone is so refreshing.

And true to life, too! Regardless of personal experience, clergy learn a tremendous amount about the world via their parishioners, and are rarely fazed.

One books spoiler I came across accidently by reading goodreads synopsis surprised me

Hmm, I like that and I hope the writers of the show do it.  It would be a nice change of pace.

• Love 2

I was looking for Dickens, too. Glad he showed up at the end (if briefly)

The end seemed a bit rushed - could have used a bit more time. ITV is a commercial station unlike BBC so timing of episodes like here are determined by the commercial breaks. BBC would have run over if need be.

• Love 1

After paying attention to the cast list, I realize that the actor playing Amanda had done Jane Bennet in Lost in Austen. She looks different as a brunette!

Also,Tessa Peake-Jones aka Mrs. Maguire played Mary Bennett in the 1980 Pride and Prejudice. 

Anglican priests can marry, right? So there's no reason for him to be freaked out by sexuality.

I didn't really understand the deal with his friend who was suddenly engaged. I hope they explain the history there. He didn't seem angry that she was engaged so he must have known he wasn't in a relationship with her. Maybe they are close childhood friends and he's always had a crush on her.

It seems I was wrong about the dynamics in the Sydney/Amanda relationship. After the first episode I thought she was putting him in the "friend zone" and he was more into her than she into him. But instead she was waiting for him to make a move towards marriage and he never did.

Edited by magdalene

Sidney and Amanda's relationship is an odd one.  Is she marrying that dreadful guy because he's rich?  Is she not marrying Sidney because he's a poor churchman?  Did Sidney not even propose because he knew she couldn't be a proper/happy wife to a poor churchman? They seem to love each other....her upcoming marriage isn't a thing of joy for either of them.  Very odd.  I don't like her.

• Love 1

I like Amanda, but it does seem odd that she didn't take some initiative with Sidney.  Was she unsure of his feelings, or just too much of a "lady" to be more forward with him? 

Love his housekeeper:  "She's wearing lipstick." 

I thought the first episode was okay, but the second one reeled me in for the remainder of the series. 

James Norton makes a foxy vicar.  Dang.  I love that he's a bit damaged, but has a strong, open mind, a good heart and a quirky sense of humor.  Like many of you, I noticed the intense chemistry he pretty much has with everyone. And, he can keep flaunting those abs and arms of his all day long.  Woof. 

Loving Geordie!  He's fantastic.  That actor is fab in everything, so I'm not surprised he's a fav here.

As always, these Britmysteries have beautiful scenary and gorgeous clothes. 

I liked meeting his sister and her boyfriend.  I liked that we learned a bit about their early lives and we keep seeing a bit of his terrible war experience.  The mysteries have been interesting and I like some of the looks at social convention and prejudice during the time. Johnny and I said "here we go" at the same time when Guy (ugh) and Amanda's dad accused him of theft.

I do not care for Amanda and her "well, he asked" attitude.  I don't know whether I just like Sidney better and feel for him or whether I don't care for the "poor little rich girl" vibe I get from Amanda.  She leaves me cold and I kind of hope poor heartbroken Sidney doesn't end up 1) with her, in a twist of events or 2) spending the rest of his time mooning over the lost love.  We have Miss Marple's backstory to do that already.

• Love 4

As disappointed as I was that the murder was again a women in lurve, this episode had the edge I thought the first one lacked. The classism, misogyny, and racism was overt, as it should be, but we weren't bludgeoned over the head with any of it. It all felt organic to the story.

I like that a lot, too. He recovered quickly when he was asked if he were a virgin (and even made a little joke about it), and he didn't slut shame his sister for spending the night with Jimmy.

But where the Dickens was Dickens? I missed the puppy dog.

Heh. I wonder if the production regrets adding Dickens—animals are an added expense and time factor.

But instead she was waiting for him to make a move towards marriage and he never did.

The scene where Amanda told him she was marrying Guy because he actually asked—ouch. I'm sure Sidney's war damage is one reason he never asked, but then we saw Amanda eyeballing him in his towel (good girl!) so I think she's one of the women he's slept with and has an idea of his trauma. At least the physical side. And maybe he doesn't want to consign her to the life of a priest's wife—it's not for everyone—but that should be her decision.

• Love 3

I found myself watching for Dickens the whole way through and then totally missed him, my husband told me where he was.  For those others who didn't see him, he was held in the arms of Johnny when he, the sister, the housekeeper and the curate (must learn names) were standing together singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow."  I'm betting he was supposed to be in the kitchen during the cake for the archbishop scene or with Sidney while he was listening to sad records but unruly puppies are such wild, method actors it probably wasn't working out until someone said, "Just hold him."  I'm sure I'm over thinking it.  I was just as distracted by the dogs in, "Doc Martin."

• Love 1