Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Care

At Quantico, the NATS' current assignment is to learn about human trafficking when Liam and Miranda challenge them to cross the U.S. / Canadian border without passports. Meanwhile, in the future, Simon continues to help Alex try to find the terrorist, but doing so puts his own life in great risk.

Could Shelby's parents be any more scummy?  War criminals using their own daughter to continue running from the law, yeesh.  They claimed if they hadn't faked their own deaths they would've lost Shelby, their company, their freedom ... all of which they lost anyway.  Though I guess since they "died" Shelby got to keep their fortune, soooo that's that.  That said, even though they're the worst, it was totally messed up of Caleb to terminate contact with them without a say-so from Shelby.  That's not the kind of decision you make for someone you've been dating a few months.

Despite that, I've somehow developed a soft spot for Caleb, even though he was one of my least favorites at the start.  Maybe because I feel sorry for him when I try to remember what's happened to him and Shelby since the timeskip and recall that she slept with his dad (still gross).  ... I also still think he's the mastermind, particularly since we haven't heard from him in the present.

Are we supposed to find Drew sexy?  So far he hasn't done anything that's changed my initial opinion of "obnoxious."  Alex sleeping with him continues the theme that she has terrible taste in men.

• Love 3

As soon as I saw all that this episode would focus a lot on Shelby, I knew she was going to be the driver!  I loved that she was wearing some kind badass black outfit for no reason, she's was just making a pitstop on her way to an assassination.  So, I guess she's working for whoever this Voice is, but with this show, I can see there being another swerve, and it being revealed she's also being forced to this by The Voice (voice on the phone, I mean!  Not the show on NBC!)

Well, at least the training exercise didn't have some stupid reveal that makes everything null at the end.  But it still doesn't make sense to me.  I thought the idea of these exercises is to make you a better agent, but I'm not sure how much fate I should put into cadets, who only passed because their fathers are well-connected (Caleb and Shelby), or got themselves arrested and deported by streaking (Iris and Will.)  At least Liam gave the win to Nimah and Raina, who had an advantage by being twins, but still actually used skills to pull it off.  I guess Alex and Drew just snuck in, which isn't bad, but not exactly praiseworthy either.

Shelby parents really were the worst.  I wish Caleb didn't bother with the $5 million bribe, and went straight to "Leave, or I will let the FBI know y'all are still alive, and they will hunt you down like the war criminals you are!"

Alex and Simon tricking the CIA into getting Will was hilarious.  Almost as hilarious as Alex making stupid Ryan sound as paranoid and crazy as he claimed she was earlier in the seas. Well played, Alex.  Petty, but well played.  It helps that Liam is such a doofus.

Priyanka Chopra's hair needs to step its game up, because this is the second episode in a row I think Yasmine Al Massri's hair won the big Battle of the Hairs.  This continues to be the only storyline I care about at this point.

• Love 4

I'm pretty much out now. I realize they were trying to show a diverse cast but then they go and do the usual Hollywood sexism/ageism thing. The actress playing Shelby's mother is 37. The actress playing Shelby is 29. This isn't the medieval ages where 8 year olds having kids is the norm. There are plenty of beautiful, middle aged blond actresses in Hollywood. No need to have Shelby's mom be ridiculously young to show being on the lam hasn't aged her.

Shelby's father's fake country accent was in insult to all southerners. Her mother didn't have a country accent so no reason for her father to have one. Seems like 15 years on the lam in a foreign country would have taught him to get rid of such an identifying accent. Idiot.

I knew the "surprise" reveal was not going to be surprising. The only thing surprising to me was the CIA asset reveal. Glad Will is in the future. He's my favorite character, I think. Only thing keeping me watching at this point is to figure what happened to Brandon.

I was expecting Shelby's dad to pull out a silenced pistol and plug Caleb right after he said "I'll go to the FBI."  You NEVER say that when you're alone in the hotel room with the bad guys. 

Will, the CIA asset, is the same Will in the Academy?   I missed something there.  He was in Canada.

Are private jets immune from ICE passport control when they cross borders?  I loved that airport clerk who shut down everybody with the handcuff idea.  Wrong!  Thank you for playing.  Next.

Edited by Dowel Jones

I'm pretty much out now. I realize they were trying to show a diverse cast but then they go and do the usual Hollywood sexism/ageism thing. The actress playing Shelby's mother is 37. The actress playing Shelby is 29. This isn't the medieval ages where 8 year olds having kids is the norm. There are plenty of beautiful, middle aged blond actresses in Hollywood. No need to have Shelby's mom be ridiculously young to show being on the lam hasn't aged her.

Shelby's father's fake country accent was in insult to all southerners. Her mother didn't have a country accent so no reason for her father to have one. Seems like 15 years on the lam in a foreign country would have taught him to get rid of such an identifying accent. Idiot.

Kelly Rutherford is 47, not 37, so at least there is an 18-year age difference. I agree that Kevin Kilner's woeful attempt at a Southern accent was like nails on a chalkboard, though. Good lord.
  • Love 3

Waiit, a second Melrose Place alum is playing the mom of a NAT?

I guess that is a silver lining. Hope they get Heather Lochlear and other folks.

And since we already have Marcia Cross and the bombing I'm sure this senator woman is an imposter and her real name is Kimberly Shaw. Anything is possible by this point. 

Edited by skotnikov
The actress playing Shelby's mother is 37. The actress playing Shelby is 29. This isn't the medieval ages where 8 year olds having kids is the norm.

I feel comfortable in saying that even in medieval times, an 8 year old would be unlikely to be able to have a child! 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I am just amazed at how stupid they make the FBI and CIA seem in order to make the storyline work. So, Simon and Alex just rescue the guy without even asking what he is being held for? 

Shelby continued to by played by everyone.

Alex is all about whatever guy she is sleeping with now.

Twins are fighting to stay relevant. Love them in this episode. 

The episode was full of stupid but what else is new. 

• Love 2

I am just amazed at how stupid they make the FBI and CIA seem in order to make the storyline work. So, Simon and Alex just rescue the guy without even asking what he is being held for? 

Shelby continued to by played by everyone.

Alex is all about whatever guy she is sleeping with now.

Twins are fighting to stay relevant. Love them in this episode. 

The episode was full of stupid but what else is new. 

With how nonsensical the lessons are getting, it's no wonder if this is the standard held by these agents.

• Love 2

Alex constantly referring to her terrorist caller as The Voice would have been funnier had the NBC singing competition been airing at the same time.

Thanks to Alex and Drew, Trump's gonna have to get Canada to build a Yuge Wall , too. Also, nice to know you can hop on a private jet and avoid customs. In the real world, yeah there's no TSA but CBP is still involved.

Will seemed quite eager to turn himself over to the Voice Van. CIA custody must really suck. Maybe the whole thing was a plot to break him out of there. Simon was quick to go along, too. Maybe he's just tired of Alex.

• Love 2

And since we already have Marcia Cross and the bombing I'm sure this senator woman is an imposter and her real name is Kimberly Shaw. Anything is possible by this point.

The only thing that can save this show now is to have Marcia Cross remove her wig only to reveal a huge brain-surgery scar.

• Love 3

Kelly Rutherford is 47, not 37, so at least there is an 18-year age difference. I agree that Kevin Kilner's woeful attempt at a Southern accent was like nails on a chalkboard, though. Good lord.

My bad, I thought it was Rosamund Pike playing Shelby's mom.

feel comfortable in saying that even in medieval times, an 8 year old would be unlikely to be able to have a child!

I was kidding :) Exaggerating like the show.

With how nonsensical the lessons are getting, it's no wonder if this is the standard held by these agents.

Yeah. Even Liam and Ryan seem stupid and they supposedly finished the training a long time ago and are fine agents. 

Simon was quick to go along, too. Maybe he's just tired of Alex.

I will be too. Alex is just constant drama that she herself creates and blames on others. Like I dislike Ryan soo much and hope he is the terrorist but in this episode he was acting more professional than Alex and she was constantly giving him attitude. 

• Love 1

Oh good, more romantic entanglements for Alex. I mean, I'm no prude, but can she not just like...keep it in her pants for the duration of training?

I refuse to believe that Shelby is this dumb about her parents. I'll just assume she's being overly hopeful because who wants to accept their parents are such terrible people?

• Love 1

I have given up trying to understand what is going on.  What was the point of Shelby's parents?  They were war profiteers who are living life on the run, and they have been living on their own money which Shelby has been paying to them through Samar?  I get why they are on the run, but why did they have to lie to Shelby about it?  Why not just ask her for more money?  I guess they didn't really care about her after all.  The dad's fake Georgia accent was atrocious.  Shelby doesn't have much of a Georgia accent, so why does the dad have to have one?

I don't understand what's going on with The Voice and Shelby (or someone who looks like Shelby, could be a twin) working with The Voice.  I don't understand why or how Will figures into it.

Will, the CIA asset, is the same Will in the Academy?   I missed something there.  He was in Canada.

Yes, it's the same person.  He's not so much an asset of the CIA as he is someone who was nabbed by them because he cracked the NSA encryption code.  He's being held by the CIA against his will, I'm not sure why they call him an asset, I guess he's an involuntary asset.  The safe house was in Buchanan New York.

I'm still not sure I understand the notScientology plotline.

I'm positive I don't understand many of these plotlines and I think I am beyond caring.

The one thing I am quite certain that I DO understand is that I couldn't give a flying fluck about Ryan and Alex.  I don't care if they are apart, I don't care if they are together, I don't care if Ryan is thinking about them being together or not together, I don't care if Alex is all upset that they are or aren't together.  I just don't care about these two together or not together at all.  It's clear the show is trying to portray these two as some kind of tragic Romeo and Juliet and for me at least it is absolutely 100% not working.  The actor who plays Ryan is as dull as dishwater, and Priyanka Chopra is a terrible actress.

I have no idea how it happened, but my favourite characters are Caleb and Will.  Everyone else can suck an egg and die.

I can't believe I actually like Caleb now. 

I'm tired of trying to guess who's behind it, just like several people here. I don't think about it for the rest of the week. I just want them to get a move on, and stop with the twists. 

• Love 1

So Will's totally in on it right? There was a throwaway line from him about the $..."I'll just get a safe deposit box at the same bank you used." I'm starting to think they're all in on it except maybe Ryan and Caleb. Simon went waaaay too willingly when The Voice said. I'm always wrong about stuff so I expect to be proven wrong.

• Love 2

This is why they are all such shitty agents now. They spent all their training time hooking up, dealing with personal drama, and searthing for the best hair styling prodcts..

If they actually trained they would have solved this crap in the first episode.

• Love 5

So Caleb thought Shelby would be heartbroken if her parents get their own money through her and never contact her again, but it WON'T be heartbreaking if he gives them money and they never contact her again. Isn't it the "never contacting her again" that would hurt her? Oh boy, another man falls for Alex *yawn*. The only good thing for me was being able to see Kelly Rutherford, I think she was great casting and totally looks like she could be Shelby's mother.

So Will's totally in on it right? There was a throwaway line from him about the $..."I'll just get a safe deposit box at the same bank you used." I'm starting to think they're all in on it except maybe Ryan and Caleb. Simon went waaaay too willingly when The Voice said. I'm always wrong about stuff so I expect to be proven wrong.

I was wondering if most of them are in on it, as well. They went too willingly to that van. 

Listening to Alex giving advice to Shelby about meeting her parents, I realised that the 'Alex's dad' storyline seemed to get dropped pretty quickly.  Was there some resolution to all that which I just missed or was it really just dropped in the hope that we'd all forget about it?

Not surprised that Shelby is working with or for The Voice...

About the twins lending each other their passports, don't they at least scan those? I haven't gone to Canada but maybe also stamp them?

Security would be suspicious of why two entries in a short time?

My bad, I thought it was Rosamund Pike playing Shelby's mom.

I feel comfortable in saying that Rosamund Pike's career would have to be in real trouble if she was doing a guest shot on Quantico. 

I did feel bad for the FBI agents who work in Little Rock, since this show essentially said they were bad and made it seem as though they were trapped in some kind of hell from which they would never return. 

• Love 1

I remember reading a long time ago that it was a common fear in the FBI that if you crossed J Edgar in some significant way, you would be administratively transferred  to one of the Montana or North Dakota offices.

About the twins lending each other their passports, don't they at least scan those? I haven't gone to Canada but maybe also stamp them?

I thought they stole the other passport from the lady wearing a similar red coat.

Well, at least the training exercise didn't have some stupid reveal that makes everything null at the end.  But it still doesn't make sense to me.  I thought the idea of these exercises is to make you a better agent, but I'm not sure how much fate I should put into cadets, who only passed because their fathers are well-connected (Caleb and Shelby), or got themselves arrested and deported by streaking (Iris and Will.)  At least Liam gave the win to Nimah and Raina, who had an advantage by being twins, but still actually used skills to pull it off.  I guess Alex and Drew just snuck in, which isn't bad, but not exactly praiseworthy either.

I disagree with the twins winning the training exercise. They cheated. Nimah wasn't there when they all had their passports taken from them. She came later. Nimah and Raina went to the bathroom and changed into matching outfits. Raina returned to the US using Nimah's passport while Nimah got back using the stolen passport. The whole point of the exercise was to demonstrate how easy it is for human traffickers to smuggle people across borders. Unless human traffickers are going to only smuggle identical twins, don't see how the twins method showed weaknesses in mass illegal border crossings. All the teams except one showed how to get across the border if you are a spy, convicted felon, etc and not if you are trying to smuggle people. Of course, team Alex, demonstrated how to get multitude of people across the Canadian border. Just walk. Lucky for them, the Contrivance Fairy paid a visit and arranged for an unoccupied, snug log cabin complete with firewood and matches so they didn't die from hypothermia. I wonder what happened to the blue Big Lot parkas from 2 weeks ago?

• Love 1

I thought they stole the other passport from the lady wearing a similar red coat.

I disagree with the twins winning the training exercise. They cheated. Nimah wasn't there when they all had their passports taken from them. She came later. Nimah and Raina went to the bathroom and changed into matching outfits. Raina returned to the US using Nimah's passport while Nimah got back using the stolen passport. The whole point of the exercise was to demonstrate how easy it is for human traffickers to smuggle people across borders. Unless human traffickers are going to only smuggle identical twins, don't see how the twins method showed weaknesses in mass illegal border crossings. All the teams except one showed how to get across the border if you are a spy, convicted felon, etc and not if you are trying to smuggle people. Of course, team Alex, demonstrated how to get multitude of people across the Canadian border. Just walk. Lucky for them, the Contrivance Fairy paid a visit and arranged for an unoccupied, snug log cabin complete with firewood and matches so they didn't die from hypothermia. I wonder what happened to the blue Big Lot parkas from 2 weeks ago?

No, it was the same passport.  Raina is the one participating in the exercise.  She gets her passport taken by Liam along with everyone else's.  Nimah shows up to the airport.  She gives Raina her passport.  Raina passes through security/border patrol as Nimah using Nimah's passport.  After Raina clears security and is on her way to the airplane, she bumps into a woman and slips Nimah's passport into the woman's coat pocket.  She takes a picture of the woman so Nimah can identify her and texts it to Nimah.  Nimah gets the text, identifies the woman, and picks the woman's pocket to get her passport back.  Then she passes through security / border patrol.  Liam stops the woman he thinks is Raina (because of the hijab) and says she loses because Raina needed to be the one to make it back home.  Then Nimah triumphantly announces that she is Nimah.

I thought this was an ingenious plan, and demonstrated the value of the twins program at the same time.  Much better than "I called my powerful dad to get us a jet".

• Love 1

I thought this was an ingenious plan, and demonstrated the value of the twins program at the same time.  Much better than "I called my powerful dad to get us a jet".

I agree it was almost a great plan and was beautifully executed. As DrLar pointed out:

I'm not sure in the real world, someone wouldn't be stopped after having their passport scanned 3 times within a few hours (assuming Nimah's passport was scanned once while entering Canada).

Liam was an idiot to try to shut the twin program down. That being said, the exercise was supposed to be about human trafficking. Their strategy did not show the flaws in security in preventing large groups of people from being smuggled into the US.

Edited by snuffles

God this show - the number of men fighting over Alex per episode is growing.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the only characters I'm into are Shelby and Caleb at this point.