Type keyword(s) to search

S32: Ponderosa

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I think they welcomed him in a civil manner that was appropriate and mature.  They had a drink ready for him,shook his hand, were ready to sit down and talk with him (ie not shun him) but no one hugged him.

I agree.

It does appears that after that Debbie decided to spend zero time with Scot which I completely understand as I too would not want to spend any time with him!

• Love 2

Some people don't like hugs. Maybe Scot is not someone who likes hugs. Or maybe Neil and Nick are not huggers. Scot seemed to be fine with his reception. Their was alcohol, welcomes, a mirror and food. They discussed what happened at the challenges and Scot showed them the idol. It felt perfectly civil.

There does not seem to be a lot of interaction between the folks at Ponderosa this season. It could be editing or it could be that these folks are adults who don't feel like they have to force themselves on folks who they are not excited to spend time with. Scot was working with Nick but it was a merge alliance and not something that was based on friendship, like Kyle and Scot's alliance. Debbie did not get along all that well with any of the folks who are at Ponderosa and her Ponderosa video made it clear that Nick and Neil were tolerating her but found her overwhelming. Nick and Neil have an interesting dynamic but I doubt they are seeking each other out.

I suspect we will start to see more interaction as people from the different alliances are voted out and join their friends but right now we don't have that. We also don't have a younger crowd like Jenn, Joe and Hali from two seasons ago that were pretty into partying and hanging out.

• Love 1

I click past the opening clip with the sand and all.  

If others' heads hit me at mid-torso, I wouldn't be a hugger, either.  Awkward.  Actually, I'm not a hugger now.  Come to think of it, my avatar here is making a hug joke.

They all seem much nicer at Ponderosa.  Except Neal.  

I do think Neal put tape letters on his shirt saying, "Hey Boo!" as a message to someone back home.   

I'm thinking Ponderosa could get interesting if Jason makes jury instead of the finals. I can see Scot & Jason continuing their "bully ways" when together. They are just bad for each other in the game of Survivor.

• Love 3

And we get the story (sort of) of his back tattoo.  But why would a 16-year-old kid call his (Mormon, I think) father "Poison."  That doesn't seem like a good nickname to me. And the Son of Poison Tattoo seems to have a lot of writhing snakes on it.  It that was the tattoo he inked to honor his Mormon father...well, sounds complicated.

Especially given the fact that tattoos are a no-no in our religion.

• Love 2

Especially given the fact that tattoos are a no-no in our religion.

"Your body is your temple. "

The one thing I remember most from my Mormon upbringing. Although, Scot drifted from the church at a fairly young age, from what I understand. I can relate to that.

Edited by azshadowwalker

I sort of love the SANDS OF FATE because they're so silly.

Similarly, Neal is such an ass it's hilarious. The most self-congratulatory man in ice-cream-print pants I've ever seen.  I'm glad I don't have to hang out with him, but at least I understand why he was cast now--he could have been an amusing villain.

• Love 3

To Deb 

Neal: if it could help we could take our shirts off

Nick: Relax

Wow thank you! That may have been the first Ponderosa video I've ever been able to watch. They block us Canadians from seeing any of them. It's unfortunate that I was unable to watch the Scot video (that one was indeed unavailable in my country) but at least I was able to hear Nick wish that Debbie

could be voted off Ponderosa. Too funny.

• Love 1

My goodness, the camera certainly loves Julia.  It was kind of pathetic to see Neal, Nick, and Scot salivating over her in the video.  Just goes to show what a correct decision it was to remove her from the game ASAP.

I was OK with Julia getting voted out because she teamed up with such horrible people (although it showed she was a strategic thinker and it really could have benefited her if only...).  But I didn't dislike her and I think she's wise to be open to the lessons offered in that kind of rare situation.  What a blessing to experience so much personal growth at such a young age, it will benefit her in her life.  Many people much older than her don't seem to be willing to learn as much about themselves.  She has an excellent attitude.  I would not be surprised to see her back sometime.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

My goodness, the camera certainly loves Julia.  It was kind of pathetic to see Neal, Nick, and Scot salivating over her in the video.  Just goes to show what a correct decision it was to remove her from the game ASAP.

What video?

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I always kind or do an eye roll when the letters from family members induce blubbering and tears every season. However, Scott's letter from his sister, which he read out loud in his Ponderosa video, giving him her breast cancer health update, was tear worthy. :(

I liked her video. It was interesting to hear her discuss how prevalent screens are in her life and how nice it was to get away from them. It made sense as soon as she said it but it was not something that I really thought about.

I liked that we saw scenes of all the jurors together. It was nice seeing them celebrate her birthday. It is interesting that Debbie was not standing with the others to great her when she arrived. I don't think Deb was there when Scot arrived either. She was at the table but not a part of the initial greeting. I wonder if that is going to be her SOP or if we will see her great the people that she liked. 

Nick was a bit on a condescending douche in the way he discussed her age and who she was but I don't think he means to be a condescending douche. Neal pretty much said the same thing without sounding like an ass.

It does seem like the jury gets along ok and that they are not fighting with each other. It is nice to see that but not as fun as some of the seasons when people are playing together a lot.

• Love 4

Yes, thanks for posting the Ponderosa Debbie video  (which had the Ponderosa Scott option afterward.)  I've never seen any Ponderosa videos either.

Poor Debbie looked like her body was on the verge of consuming her organs.  She IS flexible, though!  I like Debbie, so I kind of want to lay a gentle forefinger on her lips and whisper, "Shhh, not so much talking."

Did I hear Scott say, on the truck ride, "They must've voted me out because I was a threat.  I know no one thought I was a jerk"?  Was he being facetious?  In all his post-show "Tai Was Selfish" interviews, he admits he was occasionally arrogant and a jerk, (although he cuts himself a break because he was trying to support his family.)  Maybe he came to self-awareness belatedly.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether Debbie is bitter, just prefers her own company to that of the others voted out so far (which seems odd given how extroverted she was while in game), or having health issues that are preventing her from participating in life at Ponderosa.

• Love 1

Julia is so mature for such a young age. And, how awesome that she got to have this great experience, play well, and make the merge. It is interesting how well Julia & Scot got along whereas Scot & Alecia didn't. Sometimes, oil & water just don't mix. Also, Julia got her instragram sunset photo. Even, in the end she's still a kid which is sort of nice.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

Maybe it's how they edited this, but she sure seems proud of being so young.

And maybe it's middle-aged me, but if somebody told me a deep dark secret that they weren't 22, they were actually 19, I'd be like <<shrug>>.  Is there really that much difference?  She'd still be the youngest one out there, right?

• Love 10

Maybe it's how they edited this, but she sure seems proud of being so young.

Yeah, you know I was 19 once and I don't remember people being so amazed about it.  Certainly not me.  The things that she's so proud of, being the youngest on  Survivor, being on Exile Island, are really sort of random things.  It's not like being the youngest person to make an Olympic team or get a book published.  There's no actual accomplishment there. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I don't think Deb was there when Scot arrived either. She was at the table but not a part of the initial greeting. I wonder if that is going to be her SOP or if we will see her great the people that she liked. 

Debbie was there to greet Scot when he arrived. I was very surprised she wasn't there for Julia since she seemed to really like her. And then I was even more surprised when she seemed to keep away from Julia the whole time. Julia even said she was only hanging out with the boys. Very weird imo. I wonder if Debbie is mad since she was so sure Julia wasn't playing double agent and she came to find out she was indeed doing that. She probably feels stupid about that.

I want to like Julia and sometimes I do like her quite a bit and then other times I just find her very annoying.

• Love 6
On 4/24/2016 at 1:48 PM, KimberStormer said:

Similarly, Neal is such an ass it's hilarious. The most self-congratulatory man in ice-cream-print pants I've ever seen.  I'm glad I don't have to hang out with him, but at least I understand why he was cast now--he could have been an amusing villain.

I always thought he was a villain beginning with his original profile. He was also one of the first to pull the anti-elders line on the Brains tribe. I never got how he was a hero, but Peter was the worst. Because he ended up needing Debbie and Joe, and put aside his disdain? Not sure. I just find him a jerk.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed Julia's video. I feel like we got to know her so much more as a person. She's very well spoken and introspective for such a young age. I have to say, I had a smidgen of second hand embarrassment for the guys fawning over her. She was definitely their main topic of discussion. I'm sure she brightened up the place. Wish Debbie had shared her thoughts on Julia. I'm sure Debbie is a past high school guidance counselor or maybe she taught sorority girls to juggle....something relevant. I'm just sure of it and wanted to hear all about it.

• Love 7

Julia said she did talk to Debbie a little but ended up talking to the guys for like 3 hours.  I liked the video a lot.  I had to laugh at Julia's father channeling Kat by telling her she better make the merge if she ever wanted to get a date.  I thought it was very nice they celebrated her birthday. Her actually birthday occurred the day Caleb was evacuated so I am guessing that kind of dampened the mood at camp. And just to echo what others have said above she seems like a very intelligent, mature, self confidant young woman and I can easily see how she can pass for being older.  Neal in particular seemed very impressed.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 2

Great video. She is a smart girl, and I see why the guys thought so highly of her. I still think Scot is a jerk and I am on Alecia's side, but I don’t think he generally hates young women. Maybe conflicting personalities made worse by the nasty combination of him and Kyle ganging up on others when they're together. 

And, yes, I think it's impressive to graduate from high school and go on a high profile network TV show mere months later. It's a stressful situation that has broken people far older than Julia. She should be proud of herself. 

• Love 4

Julia said she did talk to Debbie a little but ended up talking to the guys for like 3 hours.  

I'm not surprised that Debbie was less willing to listen to three hours of  Julia-chatter about how young and amazing and young and awesome and young she is.  Her type of Kirsten Dunst,  round faced cuteness is a dime a dozen around here in the German settled Mid-West, but Neal and company seem besotted with it.  I feel Debbie's boredom.

• Love 16

Jason's Ponderosa video:

"Embrace the Suck" tee shirt.  Enough said.

Scot gave the immunity idol back to Jason.  Too late, bro!

Jason getting all sentimental talking about his wife.  Channeling Dan.

Scot in the wrestler costume.  Pass the bleach.  

Nick, Neal, and Debbie were not thrilled to have Jason there.  At. All.

• Love 8

Question for you Survivor experts: Do the people at Ponderosa discuss who to vote for at the final tribal council? So there's like an off-camera tribal council going on at Ponderosa prior to the filmed final tribal with the remaining 2 or 3?

Kass mentioned in one of the earlier podcasts for this season that it will be interesting to see who ended up in Ponderosa because apparently, the people working at Ponderosa told the Second Chances jury that the people before them weren't so nice and friendly to them. Now I know what they meant.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Kass mentioned in one of the earlier podcasts for this season that it will be interesting to see who ended up in Ponderosa because apparently, the people working at Ponderosa told the Second Chances jury that the people before them weren't so nice and friendly to them. Now I know what they meant.

Hahaha.  Why am I not surprised.

Jason is an idiot.  He's all "I never opened up to anybody outside my immediate circle about my daughter's autism before <sob sniff>."  Meanwhile, his twitter feed is full of pictures of his daughter and #autism.  He must mean he never opened up to anyone who is not on twitter yet.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Question for you Survivor experts: Do the people at Ponderosa discuss who to vote for at the final tribal council? So there's like an off-camera tribal council going on at Ponderosa prior to the filmed final tribal with the remaining 2 or 3?

I don't know that they're allow to come out and say "I'm voting for so and so" but I'm sure they discuss the remaining players, they pass along additional information as to events that happened while they were in game, and have some general 'worthiness' discussions.  I suspect that some players have a good idea of who some other players are likely voting for, but its possible they're not supposed to outright confirm anything.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I am sure they talk about who should win!  Even if it is against the rules (I doubt it) what or who is going to stop them? 

I'm sure that happens. Kass kept going on and on about last season about how they never should have put a lawyer on the jury. And how she actively campaigned against Spencer and Tasha and how they're not voting for second place over someone else and how they should ALL vote on who really deserved to win, and not just so someone else can get more money than the other.

Probst also mentioned that one of the changes he wanted to see (but will never happen) is to sequester the jury. I'm guessing he meant they would be sequestered from each other, in order to avoid influencing on who to vote during FTC.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Kass kept going on and on about last season about how they never should have put a lawyer on the jury.

Kass certainly isn't the first lawyer on a Survivor jury, though perhaps she was the most outspoken.  I suppose that yes, once they are out of the game, TPTB can't really control their conversations  all that much.  And its not like they have the ability to watch episodes/tape of events/conversations that take/took place after they leave the game (unlike say BigBrother), so they are still only limited to what they experienced/tell each other of events that took place while in game, and what they hear during tribal councils.

13 minutes ago, Special K said:

Not that this is a real jury situation, but juries are supposed to deliberate, no?

Yeah, but not this one.  They aren't on a ranch in Nevada on Bonanza either.  

• Love 3

Awww sad piano tinkle when Jason was talking about his family - sorry don't feel bad

What in the effity eff was Scott wearing when Jason showed up?!?!  And Why!?!?  WHY!!!!

Eat the burger and shut up - you can have breakfast in the morning!!! 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

He was dressed as a luchadore. Mexican wrestling. Because it's funny. 

And Julia, I think, said "why would you even bring that!?!" about the Luchador mask.

• Love 2

I've actually found it somewhat odd this season that everyone is greeted with a cheeseburger rather than getting to pick something from the menu. In past seasons, it seemed that part of the first-meal fun at Ponderosa has not just been FOOD and protein, but getting to choose what to eat after weeks with no choices at all. Last season, I noticed that the menu at the Ponderosa seemed pretty limited (spaghetti, pancakes, hamburgers), but I wonder if it wasn't actually expanded after this season filmed.

• Love 1