Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

*sob* Ron Glass's death leaves only Hal Linden, Barbara Barrie, and Max Gail of the core Barney Miller cast still alive. I loved that show so much, and Harris was a wonderful character. Ron Glass had the best sarcastic delivery; I still remember his "I do not need Queens!" in the finale when he was deciding to pursue writing full time. He was great in the more serious moments also, i.e. when he was outraged at being mistaken for a suspect and shot at because he was Black.

And Gregory Sierra as Chano Amenguale (he was that for the first two seasons' worth).

• Love 3

Like Miss Henderson, Mr. Glass looked astoundingly healthy in his most recent appearances- one could even say 'buff' (albeit with white hair). Still, considering he died from 'respiratory failure' and he smoked like a chimney on Barney Miller, maybe those coffin nails did him in after all. He did an excellent job re gallows humor & comic relief when it was most sorely needed. At least he was working steadily at the close of his life. Have no idea (nor do I care) who he may have had for companionship or whether he had any but I hope he was content nonetheless. RIP, Mr. Glass.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Like Miss Henderson, Mr. Glass looked astoundingly healthy in his most recent appearances- one could even say 'buff' (albeit with white hair). Still, considering he died from 'respiratory failure' and he smoked like a chimney on Barney Miller, maybe those coffin nails did him in after all. 

Do actors smoke real cigarettes? I realize BM is decades old, but I was under the impression that even back then, they were herbal or some other sort of fake.

On 11/27/2016 at 1:28 PM, GreekGeek said:

Do actors smoke real cigarettes? I realize BM is decades old, but I was under the impression that even back then, they were herbal or some other sort of fake.

No, restricted smoking areas didn't become a thing until the mid 80s.  Actors smoked for real, and lots of people, including actors and the occasional POTUS, still smoke today, just not where they can be seen.  In fact, I seem to remember that there are some shows with little bloopers, where you can see the curls of cigarette smoke from smokers who are off-camera.

Edited by kassygreene
Added something.
On 11/27/2016 at 0:28 PM, GreekGeek said:

The Rockford Files is from the same era, 1975 - 1980, and Jim smoked as well, with none of the awkwardness that indicated that James Garner was a non-smoker.

The practice dates back some 20-30 years before Barney Miller and The Rockford Files.  Big Tobacco was a major sponsor back in the 50s and 60s, which is why pretty much every adult TV character smoked.  In fact, I Love Lucy went out of its way to do the product placement for Phillip Morris because that particular tobacco company was its No. 1 sponsor.

Actor Keo Woolford, age unknown (he was relatively young though--maybe late 40's to early 50's... I think), who played the recurring role of Detective Chang in the current reboot of Hawaii Five-0, died today after suffering a severe stroke on Friday. Yes, I pulled the obit from a Facebook page for a fansite for the show, but it's still accurate & the obit hasn't made the Hollywood entertainment industry publications yet.

https://m.facebook.com/H50hana/posts/834335986668801

And doctors were paid spokesmen for tobacco companies.

Most chilling fictionalized (I hope) historical example of a doctor endorsing smoking is near the beginning of The King's Speech, when the Duke of York is being advised by a doctor to inhale deeply and strive to fill his lungs with smoke.  If you knew how he died, that scene was just horrific.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

The practice dates back some 20-30 years before Barney Miller and The Rockford Files.  Big Tobacco was a major sponsor back in the 50s and 60s, which is why pretty much every adult TV character smoked.  In fact, I Love Lucy went out of its way to do the product placement for Phillip Morris because that particular tobacco company was its No. 1 sponsor.

I remember we used to watch Nick at Nite when they would run a block of '50s game shows on Sunday nights, and half the panelists were smoking during the show.

I've Got a Secret host Garry Moore, along with prominent Winston advertising:

paul-newman.jpg

Also from I've Got a Secret, Moore and Desi Arnez

hqdefault.jpg

• Love 2
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

In the 60s & 70s, nurses on shows smoked (real or not) in the hospital scenes!

For Respiratory Care week last month, we were sorting through old pictures taken by the department through the years and found one from the late 60s-early 70s, showing people in report with beehive hairdos and cigarettes.

I'm sure everyone's heard by now of the Brazilian soccer team plane that crashed, killing 75 - including team members.

My Sis-in-Law is Brazilian, but the team involved is not one she follows.

that was just heartbreaking news about the Brazilian soccer team.   They were excited about playing in the finals of the Copa SudaAmerica, then this.   

I thought about the Marshall football plane crash when I saw the news.   

• Love 2

I'm no fan of soccer but quite tragic about that Brazilian soccer team and just now I was reading how virtually the entire team worked its way via honing their skills against incredible odds out of obscurity and grinding poverty to become an inspirational team beloved by that nation.

According to CNN's latest, there were six survivors out of 75 folks on the plane. I wonder if any of them were team members and what kind of conditions are these survivors?

Of course, we need to keep in mind that EVERY sudden death be it of an individual or on a massive scale will impact the lives of friends and loved ones even if the rest of the world has no idea who the fallen ones were or what they did.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

According to CNN's latest, there were six survivors out of 75 folks on the plane. I wonder if any of them were team members and what kind of conditions are these survivors?

The latest I've seen said the survivors were 3 players, a flight attendant, an aircraft mechanic, and a journalist.

5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The latest I've seen said the survivors were 3 players, a flight attendant, an aircraft mechanic, and a journalist.

Another player - a goalie - initially survived, but died later.  Sounds like the Marshall Team, the US Figure Skating team, in that the majority of the team died.  :*(

But we can all learn from theColumbian team, who has asked that the Brazilian team be awarded the Cup.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, kassygreene said:

And doctors were paid spokesmen for tobacco companies.

Most chilling fictionalized (I hope) historical example of a doctor endorsing smoking is near the beginning of The King's Speech, when the Duke of York is being advised by a doctor to inhale deeply and strive to fill his lungs with smoke.  If you knew how he died, that scene was just horrific.

Sadly not fiction. Doctors used to recommend smoking as a way to relax.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

We couldn't go one damn day.

Former TPTB (tv exec) Grant Tinker has died.   He had his hands all over so many great shows of the 70s and 80s.

Wasn't he married to Mary Tyler Moore for awhile?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, St. Claire said:

Wasn't he married to Mary Tyler Moore for awhile?

Yes he was, when she was doing The Mary Tyler Moore Show on CBS. They were married for awhile before that, though; then they broke up (I can't remember how long) after it ended (she's been married for a number of years now to a New York heart surgeon who's much younger than she is).

• Love 1
On November 28, 2016 at 11:03 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

@BW Manilowe Damn :(. That's really young. RIP sir. Condolences to his family and friends.

The entertainment/celebrity media finally seems to have picked up on Hawaii Five-0 recurring actor Keo Woolford's death. This long obit was posted by People magazine yesterday (a shorter version was posted by People's sister publication, Entertainment Weekly, earlier today).

http://people.com/tv/keo-woolford-hawaii-five-0-actor-dies-at-49-obituary/

According to the obit, he was only 49 when he passed on Monday after having a severe stroke on Friday. His age wasn't released with the original news on his death.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yes he was, when she was doing The Mary Tyler Moore Show on CBS. They were married for awhile before that, though; then they broke up (I can't remember how long) after it ended (she's been married for a number of years now to a New York heart surgeon who's much younger than she is).

Even though they were already separated at the time, it was Mr. Tinker who got the news of her only child Richard Meeker, Jr.'s tragic death in 1980 AND made the decision not to tell her until the next morning so she'd have one last peaceful night of sleep before her world would be shattered forever by the news.  I always respected him for doing that for her.

Anyway, after so many months of speculation re her own health, Miss Moore HAS issued a touching tribute to her onetime spouse so I hope that means that she's healthy enough to receive and communicate news.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Even though they were already separated at the time, it was Mr. Tinker who got the news of her only child Richard Meeker, Jr.'s tragic death in 1980 AND made the decision not to tell her until the next morning so she'd have one last peaceful night of sleep before her world would be shattered forever by the news.  I always respected him for doing that for her.

Anyway, after so many months of speculation re her own health, Miss Moore HAS issued a touching tribute to her onetime spouse so I hope that means that she's healthy enough to receive and communicate news.

Indeed.  We only have one month of 2016 left, and it had better still have Ms. Moore in it alive and well at the stroke of midnight on December 31. You hear me, 2016?  And no cheating, 2017 -- you don't get to touch her in the wee hours of January 1 on a technicality!

• Love 10
On 11/27/2016 at 11:28 AM, GreekGeek said:

Do actors smoke real cigarettes?

I believe it's their choice. On Mad Men, most everyone smoked herbal cigarettes, but I recall reading that January Jones smoked regular tobacco cigarettes. 

There's an old Frank Sinatra special where he drinks and smokes and sings. Multi-tasking.

2 hours ago, ennui said:

I believe it's their choice. On Mad Men, most everyone smoked herbal cigarettes, but I recall reading that January Jones smoked regular tobacco cigarettes. 

There's an old Frank Sinatra special where he drinks and smokes and sings. Multi-tasking.

I'm sure if he could have been having sex as well he would have.

• Love 3

I feel sorry for anybody whose job it is to compile a retrospective of 2016 now for broadcast/publication in the last week of December. 

They're going to have to leave some time/space blank to include the deaths of the next few weeks because we know 2016 hasn't finished with us.