Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Mell Lazarus, the creator of the comic strips "Miss Peach" and "Momma," has passed.

Even though I kept up with the latter chiefly through "The Comics Curmudgeon," which ridiculed it, I'm still sorry to learn this.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

TWENTY-SEVEN??  The hell, 2016?  I thought you had promised us that there would be no more taking of musicians and other artists this year, especially young ones.  And yes, I'm talking to you, too, cancer -- FUCK YOU.

27 Club

• Love 1

As sad as it is (having grown up with his boxing career, since I was born the year after he won the Olympic Gold Medal in Rome), I can't say that I'm sorry to see that he's finally out of his suffering.  RIP indeed, Mr. Ali, and my condolences to your family.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

As sad as it is (having grown up with his boxing career, since I was born the year after he won the Olympic Gold Medal in Rome), I can't say that I'm sorry to see that he's finally out of his suffering.  RIP indeed, Mr. Ali, and my condolences to your family.

It was time. Some people can live with Parkinson's for a long time. He actually did. But there's a definite corner you turn with that disease beyond which the quality of life is not worth it. I speak from personal experience with a branch of my family, cousins, where two generations in a row (a mother and a son) got it, and a third generation is counting the days until one or more of the three kids from that generation might as well.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I want to imagine Howard Cosell is trying to interviewing him up there but Ali is making fun of his toupee.

Don't be silly.  There's no such thing as baldness in Heaven, so there's no toupee to make fun of.

• Love 4

The second I saw his name trending on Twitter, I knew it wouldn't be good. And given his health problems, I knew it would only be a matter of time.

But like the rest of you, I'm glad that he's at peace.

Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, Ali.

• Love 2

As sad as his death and latter years have proven to be for Mr. Ali, is it too much to hope that folks reflect upon them will seriously consider whether the risks of permanent impairment and injury is worth themselves or their minor offspring participating in physical contact sports such as boxing and football?

P.S. While I'm not by any means dissing him for having changed his original name or the reasons why he believed it was necessary to have done so, I think it should be noted that the original Cassius Clay was a very prominent planter who became a staunch abolitionist to the fury of his neighbors in Kentucky but was someone who was outspoken and not afraid of risks to have unpopular opinions- just like Mr. Ali.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Blergh said:

P.S. While I'm not by any means dissing him for having changed his original name or the reasons why he believed it was necessary to have done so, I think it should be noted that the original Cassius Clay was a very prominent planter who became a staunch abolitionist to the fury of his neighbors in Kentucky but was someone who was outspoken and not afraid of risks to have unpopular opinions- just like Mr. Ali.

Interesting to know.

I wonder if he knew, because I could see him being proud of that name in his later years.

BTW he did not give himself the name Muhammed Ali.  The leader (I think) of the Islam Nation did.

My  mom used to affectionately call him "Mr. Mouth Almighty."  He could mouth off, but he sure could back it up.

I read he was called "The Louisville Lip" when he first started out as a pro, for all his talk.

BTW he did not give himself the name Muhammed Ali.  The leader (I think) of the Islam Nation did.

Yes, as far as I know the name was bestowed on him by Elijah Muhammad.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I read he was called "The Louisville Lip" when he first started out as a pro, for all his talk.

Yeah, I remember he was called that, but I liked Mouth Almighty better, LOL.

I'm a bit long in the tooth, so I remember going to the first fight he had with Joe Frazier.  I went with a few friends to Baltimore to watch on closed circuit tv in the arena where the then-Bullets played.  After the loss, driving back through Baltimore to DC, it was so eerily quiet and people were walking around like zombies.  Everyone was bummed.

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Just heard that playwright Peter Shaffer died at 90. Amadeus was one of my favorite plays/movies.

I studied his play The Royal Hunt of the Sun for O-Level and I can still quote from it. I became a big fan of his plays.

(edited)

I've been watching The Commish late night on the H&I Network when nothing else is on. She always seemed like a sweet and strong woman in interviews I saw on TV and etc. Sad for her husband and daughter.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

So sad.   Ms. Saldana also survived a very horrific stalker attack.    If you notice she never wore low cut dresses or tops.   That's because of the huge scar left down her chest from when she was stabbed multiple times.   I always admired her courage.

RIP.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I remember the year Saldana was attacked, and how brave she was fighting her way back from that. Strange that they don't mention what she passed away from.

It's not that strange to me. Maybe they just wanted to keep it private.

Either way, it's sad that she passed away. RIP Mrs/Ms Saldana.

• Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, merylinkid said:

So sad.   Ms. Saldana also survived a very horrific stalker attack.    If you notice she never wore low cut dresses or tops.   That's because of the huge scar left down her chest from when she was stabbed multiple times.   I always admired her courage.

RIP.

I remember the movie they made based off of it. In fact didn't she star in it? It always stayed with me and was so glad she survived and had a good career. What a shame way too young.

Edited by callmebetty

I remember the movie they made based off of it. In fact didn't she started in it?

Yep.  I have only the vaguest memories of it - I think maybe it was half about the attack and half about her activism afterwards - but I know she did, in fact, star in it herself.