Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Thinking of Oswalt and McNamara's daughter makes me sad, too -- thankfully, she's old enough to retain memories of her mom, but she's so young to have to wrap her mind around this loss (not that there's a good age for it).

• Love 1

I really feel like 2016 is a real life version of And Then There Were None. Am I the only one that's reviewing all the celebrities I'm fond of and being terrified of anything happening to them? It's to the point where if I see someone's name trending on Twitter, my first thought is "Please don't be dead."

Every time I see that there's a new post in this thread, I'm dreading seeing whose name is going to come up.  (and there's a tiny sigh of relief when it's just a reaction to one posted earlier)

• Love 9

I really feel like 2016 is a real life version of And Then There Were None. Am I the only one that's reviewing all the celebrities I'm fond of and being terrified of anything happening to them? It's to the point where if I see someone's name trending on Twitter, my first thought is "Please don't be dead."

No kidding.  And since we're now hearing about them dying in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s (rather than in their 80s and 90s), that's not so illogical a thought. Who would have thought that 2016 would turn out to be a serial killer?

• Love 5
(edited)

Even artists older than Prince have been mourning him:

Eric Clapton: http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a791799/read-eric-claptons-emotional-tribute-to-genius-prince/

In the the eighties, I was out on the road in a massive downward spiral with drink and drugs, I saw Purple Rain in a cinema in Canada, I had no idea who he was, it was like a bolt of lightning!...

In the middle of my depression, and the dreadful state of the music culture at that time it gave me hope, he was like a light in the darkness...

I went back to my hotel, and surrounded by empty beer cans, wrote Holy Mother....

He Facebook posted about that Saturday--perhaps not literally meaning Prince saved his life, but at the very least implying it motivated him to clean himself up--and he didn't just come up with this now that Prince is dead. Here's a clip of an older interview with Clapton where he says some very similar stuff: 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

And yeah, 2016 can fuck off anytime now. Is it 2017 yet?

Yeah, I'm fighting for my life too, largely because my condition was buried beneath years of chronic pain. Whenever I hear of someone like Prince or Michael Jackson (who did a lot of strenuous dancing) taking too much legal pain medication, I totally get it. The only difference between my experience with meds and theirs is that I get all the bad side effects, so I don't take them. But seriously, if I could be given regular relief with propofol, I'd go for it, and I don't even (can't) drink wine. Edited by shapeshifter

I remember her from The Flying Nun.

RIP- I felt bad for everyone on that show because it flew in the face of everything going on in the late 60s. Sally Field confessed recently that she only read her lines in the scripts and never watched the show because she hated being in it.

• Love 2

RIP- I felt bad for everyone on that show because it flew in the face of everything going on in the late 60s. Sally Field confessed recently that she only read her lines in the scripts and never watched the show because she hated being in it.

Yes, it was a terrible show, terrible!  Served Sally well though! 

Edited by wings707

I was no older than 5 when The Flying Nun was on TV, & I had the same "pixie" haircut as Sally Field did in the show. And my Halloween costume was, basically, Sally Field's character Sister Bertrille. My Dad even made me that hat out of card stock or some other heavy paper. I also had Sally's doll from the show.

I understand that few share this.  I am not afraid of death.  We do not get out of here alive. There are many ways to exit.  When someone dies suddenly and quickly, I feel exhilarated.  That means there was no slow death by cancer or a protracted  stay in a nursing home.  Who wants that?  Feel sad for those left behind but never who leaves.   It is the most fabulous to leave quickly.  I hope that is the way I will leave. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 14

I'll be e-mailing this to my mom, as we are ridiculously fond of saying, "Wait, there's more!" to each other in describing any new product, as an homage to the cheesy goodness that is the average infomercial.  (Also, "Well, gotta order one" upon seeing an infomercial, but that's an homage to my late grandpa's reaction to quite a few of them - mostly notably as we stood in a hotel room waiting for people to get ready for his closest brother's funeral and some sandwich maker was advertised.  We all cope in our own ways, I guess.)

• Love 2

Saw this days ago, but as we know the board's been down a lot. 

Kevin Smith gave a LONG (like a half hour, so plan your viewing time appropriately) response to an answer about some work he did for Prince. Note the story is not kiss-assy--he's actually a bit sarcastic/cutting describing some stuff about Prince, so if you aren't in a mindset to hear anything bad at all about a recently departed person, then don't listen. But it's actually a pretty funny story, and while I'm not always amused when Smith goes into his long rambles on things, this one was worth it.

• Love 6

I don't find it hilarious. I find it pretty disgusting behavior from an entitled musical genius. Is that what is taught at Watchtower.

"If the bra fits" indeed. Bullshit!

That was a pretty funny Kevin Smith story, and I normally cringe at his stories. Yeah, we will never get to hear Prince's version, but after reading all the stories about Prince lately, I can see how most of this is true. (I say as a person who loves Prince's music, musicianship, and still finds him to have been a decent human being despite this bad interaction and disagreeing with his beliefs.) I knew if I kept reading stories about him that something unflattering in my eyes would come out, especially since I am a hardcore Agnostic and he had became very hardcore about his religion by the time of his death. I do think that Prince's social faux pas can be accredited to his shyness (which some confuse as rudeness), social ineptness, and, yes, living in Prince's (rock star) world for almost 40 years. That is not an excuse because not thanking Smith was a jerk move, but I still like Prince just as much as I did before listening to that very entertaining recount and hope to see and hear all the goodies in the vault one day. And that jerk move and his antiquated belief system does not cause me to forget all the charities that lined up with causes that I believed in that he donated to privately. (I freely admit that I am walking away on a Prince high because I really liked Prince. I don't know.)

• Love 6
On 4/29/2016 at 0:13 PM, Ohwell said:

That was hilarious, yet insightful, about Prince.

Smith can be a real shit at times, and often too fond of the sound of his own voice, but he did hit it out of the park with that story. As I said before, it's hardly kiss-ass. He's quite clear about how frustrating, and sometimes ridiculous, Prince was to deal with. But at the same time, it's kind of a "he was a magical Unicorn" type story, that doesn't really judge Prince for being so ridiculous, and its genuinely enlightening about how all that weirdness actually manifested in person.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

That was a pretty funny Kevin Smith story, and I normally cringe at his stories. Yeah, we will never get to hear Prince's version, but after reading all the stories about Prince lately, I can see how most of this is true. (I say as a person who loves Prince's music, musicianship, and still finds him to have been a decent human being despite this bad interaction and disagreeing with his beliefs.) I knew if I kept reading stories about him that something unflattering in my eyes would come out, especially since I am a hardcore Agnostic and he had became very hardcore about his religion by the time of his death. I do think that Prince's social faux pas can be accredited to his shyness (which some confuse as rudeness), social ineptness, and, yes, living in Prince's (rock star) world for almost 40 years. That is not an excuse because not thanking Smith was a jerk move, but I still like Prince just as much as I did before listening to that very entertaining recount and hope to see and hear all the goodies in the vault one day. And that jerk move and his antiquated belief system does not cause me to forget all the charities that lined up with causes that I believed in that he donated to privately. (I freely admit that I am walking away on a Prince high because I really liked Prince. I don't know.)

Yeah, the story didn't do anything to turn me off to Prince. He was weird. His fans should appreciate that rather than deny it. The not thanking Smith thing (or apparently paying him) is the worst part of the story, but even there it didn't sound like EGO on Prince's part. I think the handler who told Smith that Prince just didn't THINK like other people was dead on, and I think the way Smith tells the story shows he agrees. If Prince didn't butter up Smith, or be gracious in some of the more traditional ways, it almost seemed like it was because whatever system Prince used for social cues wasn't like most of us. His head was in the clouds--usually in the BEST way because he produced the art that he did. 

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

But honestly, we don't know if Prince maybe did call later.  Even though I thought it was funny, we only heard Kevin's interpretation of events.   

One thing that occurred to me is that maybe Prince had the same kind of Peter Pan Syndrome that Michael Jackson had, where he got SO used to people doing things for him for so many years, that he fully expected little details (like payment, or thanking people) to be worked out by his "staff"/handlers. So not ego in a traditional way, but just a weird kind of artsy-fartsy life where he fully expected someone in his retinue to take care of payment, thanks, etc.  And it DOES sound like that handler tried to do at least some of that.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Anti-war activist Father Daniel Berrigan has died at the age of 94.

Aw. Brings new meaning to the phrase rest in PEACE. You fought the righteous fight, Father.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sounds like Mr. Thomas was a fine and noble human as well as an outstanding broadcaster. Back in the '90s, his was one of the few narrators whose name I took care to find in the credits of a show because his voice was so memorable. He probably could have solved a crime or two himself by the time he finished all episodes of that show. RIP, old warrior.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, lordonia said:

Sounds like Mr. Thomas was a fine and noble human as well as an outstanding broadcaster. Back in the '90s, his was one of the few narrators whose name I took care to find in the credits of a show because his voice was so memorable. He probably could have solved a crime or two himself by the time he finished all episodes of that show. RIP, old warrior.

I did the same.  He's up there with Bill Kurtis and the late, great Paul Winfield in revognizability.

• Love 3
(edited)

Reg Grundy (known for such great game shows of the past as $ale of the Century and Scrabble, among others) passed on yesterday at 92 in Bermuda. Just thought I'd bring that up here. Attached is the title of $ale of the Century from its Jan. 3, 1983 premiere broadcast on NBC. 

Also, his obituary from the Sydney Morning Herald of Australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/reg-grundy-dead-television-mogul-dies-aged-92-20160509-gopjet.html

saletitle1983premiere.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
Including obituary from Australia
  • Love 1

Something else interesting about him that I didn't know until Melissa Gilbert mentioned it on Twitter just now is that he was also a past president of the Screen Actors' Guild.  That's the third SAG president who's passed on this year.

• Love 1
(edited)

One of my favorite scenes in Casablanca is when everyone sings "La Marseillaise" and when they cut to Yvonne, the French girl who Rick blows off and is now having a date with a German officer and now she's singing her country's anthem and crying.... Gets me every time.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7