Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I just re-watched the Naked Gun movies this past week, so he's present - and much younger - in my mind, such that his death was a little jarring for a moment until my brain caught up to reality.

Many years ago, I read that Kennedy's "for your consideration" ad to Academy voters showed him in a scene from CHL holding up Paul Newman with single-word caption, Supporting.  I haven't been able to find this image online.  If anyone else does, please share it!

On a shallow note, my search did turn up many fine photos of Newman's bare torso, which are always welcome.  ;-)

Legendary Tennis broadcaster and journalist Bud Collins has died, at the age of 86. 

He always seemed to be one of those people who always seemed to love what he was doing. We don't have enough of those in the world. RIP.

Noooooo!!!!!!  I grew up watching tennis and listening to him!  A sad day for Tennis.  RIP Bud.  :-(

The only novel of Conroy's I ever read was The Prince of Tides.  It's lush and overlong and overwrought, but thoroughly compelling, and once you know about his own life, its style makes perfect sense.  Not a fan of Babs in the Lowenstein role.  On screen, I prefer The Great Santini (Robert Duvall, Blythe Danner, and a young Michael O'Keefe are a sensational trio).  RIP, Mr. Conroy.  Despite the immense difficulties of your life, your obituary made me smile.

When his mother was dying of leukemia, as he recounted to The Guardian of London in 1996, she told him, “Son, I find it hard to relax when I’m dying, knowing you’re going to write down every damn word I say.”

“One of the greatest gifts you can get as a writer is to be born into an unhappy family,” Mr. Conroy told the writer John Berendt for a Vanity Fair profile in 1995. “I could not have been born into a better one.”

• Love 1

I didn't always agree with her stances. However; having to watch one's spouse die from the inside out over a very long period of time cannot have been easy for anyone so I have to say I salute Mrs. Reagan for her courage and resolve to make his last days as comfortable as possible even long after he himself knew who he'd been or who she was.  I hope she and her daughter were able to resolve their differences before the end and agreed to disagree. RIP, Mrs. Reagan [born Ann Frances Robbins].

I am watching ABC news, they have just announced Nancy Reagan has died.

When I was a Senior in High School, I had the honor & privilege of being part of a group connected to a national babies & children's health charity which got to meet both the late President & Mrs. Reagan while they were in the White House (ironically, our reception with the then-First Couple was exactly a week to the day before the Hinckley assassination attempt). They both were very nice people, to me as an individual & to our group as a whole--we were even offered refreshments (assorted cookies & at least various kinds of juices, as I remember; they may have also offered coffee &/or tea, but I don't remember for sure). We didn't get any jellybeans though.

• Love 3

When I was growing up, my parents had a compilation album with The Wayward Wind on it. The album cover had a bunch of colored circles on it with the names of the songs and singers. I have a feeling it was something to do with Lucky Strikes because both parents were smokers. Anyway, this song in particular stayed with me because we lived in a small house (not quite a shack) near railroad tracks. 

• Love 1