Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Meadowlark Lemon! When I was about 5 years old, I thought that was the way basketball was supposed to be played. I couldn't understand why local teams on the news weren't sticking the ball under their jerseys to hide it during games.

And Lemmy too! I like the stuff he did with Hawkwind, but the radio never seems to play anything other than "Ace of Spades."

• Love 1

I never did get to see the Globetrotters when I was a kid, but I did watch them on TV a lot and I loved watching Meadowlark, who was quite the showman. 

And Lemmy...oh man, that's a tough one for me. A true legend. Lemmy was God. 

I never did get to see the Globetrotters when I was a kid, but I did watch them on TV a lot and I loved watching Meadowlark, who was quite the showman. 

And Lemmy...oh man, that's a tough one for me. A true legend. Lemmy was God. 

Thanks for linking that interesting article, Inquisitionist.  I actually know someone on that list - Tom Stemberg, the co-founder of Staples.  His business partner, Leo Kahn (also the founder of Purity Supreme Supermarkets), was on the Board of Directors of a company where I worked directly for the CEO and President, and Tom and Leo were frequent visitors to our offices.  They were both very interesting men.

• Love 1

Wayne Rogers who played Trapper John in M*A*S*H has passed away.   He was 82.

Didn't like Trapper all that much.   Too childish and wanted to be married when it was convenient, the rest of the time chased the nurses.   But Wayne Rogers was cool.    He quit when it became clear it would be the Alan Alda show and went into finance   Made a bloody fortune.   

• Love 1

What a sad ending to 2015.

Mr. Rogers led a productive life and was extremely intelligent and lucky in business.

It seems my life is passing by, as I watch the stars of my childhood pass on.

• Love 1

First Pernell Roberts, now Wayne Rogers.

Is Elliot Gould next?

Parnell Roberts died nearly 6 years ago.

The reference is to actors who had played the character of Trapper John. Rogers played him in the M*A*S*H TV series, Roberts played him on the show Trapper John, M.D., and Gould played him in the original movie that proceeded them both.

I loved Rogers on M*A*S*H, also enjoyed him as Charlie Garrett on Murder, She Wrote. RIP.

• Love 4
Didn't like Trapper all that much.   Too childish and wanted to be married when it was convenient, the rest of the time chased the nurses.   But Wayne Rogers was cool.    He quit when it became clear it would be the Alan Alda show and went into finance   Made a bloody fortune.

Yes, I never did get what made Trapper different from Hawkeye. But I'm glad to hear Wayne Rogers did well for himself after leaving M*A*S*H. l never thought, "What a fool!" the way I did about McLean Stevenson.

I loved Trapper, personally. I couldn't watch the episodes after he left and Blake died. I hated BJ, didn't like Potter much, and being a Toledoan wasn't even enough to keep me watching for Klinger (though I've met Jamie Farr a few times and he is a lovely man.) This news makes me so sad. I know he was 82, but still.

• Love 1

Not that it helps, but according to the accounts I've read, Natalie passed on Dec. 31, but it wasn't reported until this morning. I'm classifying it as a very sad ending to the disappointing year that was 2015, and looking forward to a 2016 filled with potential.

• Love 1

I think, "How sad, she was only 65" -- and then realize her dad was only 45 when he died and get even more bummed.

Even bummier from where I sit is that I'm almost halfway between them (I'll be 55 six weeks from today).  Not yet, Universe -- not yet!

• Love 1

Ironic that both Nat 'King' Cole and his now departed Natalie  each did a tremendous body of work besides "Unforgettable"- yet THAT postmortem duet will be the ONE thing both(and each) of them will be remembered for more than anything else in their respective careers by most people. I hope you've found your peace, Miss Cole.

• Love 2
The reference is to actors who had played the character of Trapper John.

Yes, I know that.  But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to say "First Parnell Roberts, now Wayne Rogers" as though their deaths were somehow connected, when ithey occurred 6 years apart.  :-)

Wayne Rogers proved to be as talented in business as he was in acting. He wasn't my favorite Trapper John, but IMO he was the cutest. 

As for Natalie Cole, as great as "Unforgettable" was, she had plenty of other great songs, including "Pink Cadillac," "I've Got Love On My Mind" and "This Will Be ( An Everlasting Love)," the latter of which was performed beautifully in a "Lip Sync For Your Life" battle between contestants Dida Ritz & The Princess on RuPaul's Drag Race, where Ms. Cole herself was one of the judges. 

RIP, Mr. Rogers & Ms. Cole. 

• Love 2

As for Natalie Cole, as great as "Unforgettable" was, she had plenty of other great songs, including "Pink Cadillac," "I've Got Love On My Mind" and "This Will Be ( An Everlasting Love)," the latter of which was performed beautifully in a "Lip Sync For Your Life" battle between contestants Dida Ritz & The Princess on RuPaul's Drag Race, where Ms. Cole herself was one of the judges.

RIP, Mr. Rogers & Ms. Cole.

That was the best lip sync of all. And Ms. Cole thoroughly had a great time.

Celeb rule of three in action. In addition to Wayne Rogers and Natalie Cole, we have Marty Ingels, dead at 79.

To be honest most people wouldn't remember Ingels at all, because his career fizzled back in the early 70s, if he hadn't been married to Shirley Jones. That said, in the 1960s he was pretty much that decades' premier "Hey It's That Guy", guest starring all over the place.  But since then... he's kinda just been Shirley Jones' husband. Oh, and I guess the other bit of peculiarity is that he was the nephew of former Mayor of New York City, Abe Beame. 

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-marty-ingels-dies-at-79--20151022-story.html

• Love 1

Didn't Marty die in October?

He did; that linked article is from October. Maybe it was another case of the Times reposting the obit again?

If there's one thing this thread has taught me, it's to double check dates on obit articles, because I never imagined that "reposting old obits" would be a trend in newspapers and websites.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

Celeb rule of three in action. In addition to Wayne Rogers and Natalie Cole, we have Marty Ingels, dead at 79.

To be honest most people wouldn't remember Ingels at all, because his career fizzled back in the early 70s, if he hadn't been married to Shirley Jones. That said, in the 1960s he was pretty much that decades' premier "Hey It's That Guy", guest starring all over the place. But since then... he's kinda just been Shirley Jones' husband. Oh, and I guess the other bit of peculiarity is that he was the nephew of former Mayor of New York City, Abe Beame.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-marty-ingels-dies-at-79--20151022-story.html

After Marty Ingels' performing career "fizzled" (or he actively stopped performing... whatever happened), he actually started working "behind the scenes" in entertainment as a talent agent. I'm not sure if that's in the linked obit or not.

The most recent celebrity deaths, besides Wayne Rogers & Natalie Cole, were of

Character actor Jason Wingreen, age 95, on Christmas Day. He played Harry the Bartender on All in the Family & Archie Bunker's Place. Also, though he was never credited, he was the voice of Boba Fett in The Empire Strikes Back & in at least some of the Boba Fett merchandise. I think I originally posted that upthread; though he died on Christmas Day, I think they held off on announcing it until, like, Thursday or yesterday. It only became known earlier this week.

And the most recent celebrity death was announced earlier today. Former Arkansas Governor & US Senator Dale Bumpers died at age 90.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dale-bumpers-ex-arkansas-governor-u-s-senator-dies-age-n489251

Edited by BW Manilowe

We periodically talk about old celebrity obits being brought up again, as if they're current. That's happening right now on People magazine's website. They're currently listing their obit/article on actor Gary Coleman's death as their most-read article. However Gary Coleman died almost 6 years ago, in mid-2010.

This is sad.   I mean a super who just wandered in all the time was kinda creepy.    But they made it that he seemed to care about protecting the family.    I liked him.  Great actor.   So sad it was alzheimer.

I'm not familiar with Sian Blake's work, but my gosh, this is horrific.

The police statement read: "The bodies of Sian and her children were found in the garden of their home address in Erith on Tuesday, 6 January. Significant attempts had been made to conceal the bodies. ...

Meanwhile, the Mirror revealed that Sian's boyfriend Arthur Simpson-Kent arrived in Ghana days after being quizzed by police over her disappearance.

The two boys were 8 and 4 years old.  Can. Not. Process.

She was missing for 3 damn weeks before they decided to check the garden.   SERIOUSLY.    Which is how the boyfriend was able to get out of the country.   They were so busy treating it as a missing persons case and not looking around the house, that he was able to not be a suspect and disappear.

I was wandering around the internet while watching Antennae TV one night and came across an article written shortly after Bonnie Franklin died that talked about how devastated Valerie Bertinelli was when Bonnie died. The cast of One Day At A Time participated in a couple of reunion shows (including Mackenzie Phillips) so I get the feeling they were fairly close and got along. This wasn't the case with the casts of a number of the shows that air on Antennae TV. The sitcoms of today have nothing on shows like All In The Family, Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, Good Times, I Dream of Jeanie, etc. I still laugh my hind end off while watching those shows. I become curious about what happened to some of the actors that appeared on these shows and start snooping around on the internet - there are a lot of interesting stories out there.

Responding to the bolded. Valerie's now doing 1 of those Celebrity-Hosted, "Cooking for Family & Friends" shows on Food Network (it mostly airs around Noon Eastern on Saturdays, but I also saw it somewhere between 4 & 6PM Eastern on a weekday earlier this week)--in addition to appearances as a Judge on other Food Network shows, like the current S2 of The Kids' Baking Championship on which she & Charm City Cakes entrepreneur Duff Goldman are the Hosts/Judges. Mackenzie Phillips was her guest on the ep that aired last Saturday, & every second or third sentence each of them said was about how they were still very close, like sisters, how proud they were of each other, etc. So, yeah, the One Day... cast seems to have really been very close, even with--or maybe despite--all of Mackenzie Phillips' substance abuse/addiction issues during the show's run (ironically, Mackenzie is now a Certified Drug Addiction Counselor in Southern California).

Maybe this is where I read it, but if not... I read somewhere the other day that Pat Harrington, Jr. actually died on what would've been his Co-Star Bonnie Franklin's birthday, had she not pre-deceased him (she died a few years ago of Cancer, either Pancreatic or Esophageal... I forget which).

By the way, there's no E at the end of the first word in the name of the network currently running One Day.... It's just spelled "Antenna" (Antenna TV); our cable package has the channel & I like it too.