Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

That's sad. I spent many many happy hours in Pine Valley. Many of them alternately loathing and loving Canary's characters.

Bolding mine.

You mean they didn't just automatically transport him to an ER? Wonder if that's "normal".

RIP Jerry and esp. (to me) Canary.

Well, I don't know what procedures are like now--mostly because A) I'm not privy to that information, B) We, thankfully, haven't had a Presidential assassination attempt to that degree of seriousness since President Reagan's, & C) They may have changed procedures as a result of the Reagan incident, so POTUS is automatically taken to the closest/designated hospital for a checkup whether he appears injured or not.

As for the real life Reagan incident, Reagan didn't initially appear to be injured; so they started to take him back to the White House--this at least was SOP at the time Reagan was shot. On the drive back to the White House, he began to bleed from the nose &/or mouth. That indicated to his Secret Service agents--especially Agent Parr, who was apparently next to Reagan in the back of the limo--he had an undetected medical issue & Agent Parr ordered the limo to be turned around & headed in the direction of George Washington Hospital in DC, apparently saving President Reagan's life.

That scenario was actually acted out in the The West Wing episode In the Shadow of Two Gunmen Part I, their S2 opener. In the S1 finale, President Bartlet's entourage was fired on while leaving a televised Town Hall gathering held at (the now former location of) The Newseum, in Rosslyn, VA, leaving some of the public & the President's staffers injured &/or killed. Anyway, we eventually see President Bartlet being put in his limo & sent back to the White House; after asking about the condition of his youngest daughter, who came with him & was put in another limo after the shooting, that's when President Bartlet's agents notice the bleeding & reroute his limo to the hospital.

I actually was among a group of people connected to the March of Dimes who met President & Mrs. Reagan at the White House, in connection with announcing/promoting 1 of MoD's national fundraising events. They were both very nice (for those who care about such things). Ironically, our group met with them exactly *1 week*, to the day, before the assassination attempt.

I also had the pleasure of doing a TV fundraiser in West Virginia, again in connection with my March of Dimes work, with actor David Canary. This was back in the 1970's, when he was still most famous for playing Candy, the ranch foreman, on Bonanza. He also was a very nice person. He didn't even mind--unlike some actors--when people would refer to him by his character name, Candy, instead of his real life name, David.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

I am really surprised that David Canary was only 77, I thought he was much older.  He was a wonderful actor, and one of the main reasons I hung in there as long as I did with AMC.  I always totally bought that adam's twin was a different person, but my favorite thing was when Adam played his twin pretending to be him (or vice-versa).  That's when you could truly see how extraordinarily talented he was. 

• Love 6

I, too, met David Canary through a charity fundraiser.  (I didn't watch AMC, but knew who he was because I did subscribe to Soap Opera Digest at the time to keep up with another soap.)  He was an exceedingly nice man.

• Love 1

Sadly, my initial reaction was, "I'm surprised it took this long."  (Of course we don't yet know cause of death, but he cheated death for a long time.)  I saw STP in concert a couple of times; great band.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

Sadly, my initial reaction was, "I'm surprised it took this long."  (Of course we don't yet know cause of death, but he cheated death for a long time.)  I saw STP in concert a couple of times; great band.

Yeah, I had a couple of their later albums and even the solo album that he put out back then. I think he and they were majorly under-rated at the time. He was sort of the Rock version of Robert Downey Jr. back in the 90's. Bit of a screw-up. Always thought he might go early and I guess in the end he sort of did. I'm still kind of shocked and saddened. I loved the 90's music scene and he's only a few years older than me. Shit...

Scott Weiland was found dead on his tour bus. Love the Stone Temple Pilots and a couple of Velvet Revolver songs. Dave Narvarro tweeted about it too. I remember years ago seeing Scott in a dress Calendar section main pic for the LA Times on Weenie Roast article.

This was in my "neighborhood" (the greater Twin Cities metro area).  I feel bad because I thought he was already dead.  And then I feel bad again for him dying, in general, and being so young and with kids, etc.

I remembered him as the FBI agent in a tv movie starring Lance Guest, Harry Hamlin and I wanna say the lady from Crocodile Dundee?   Yeah, I remember the whole show but the name.   

RIP Robert Loggia.

Favorite Son. He parlayed the role into his own (short-lived) series, Mancuso, FBI, and was nominated for an Emmy.

Gonna watch 'The Fix' episode of Starsky & Hutch tonight in his honor.

That's always been 1 of my favorite S&H episodes. A lot of it is because of the S&H relationship in it--Starsky immediately knows something's wrong when Hutch doesn't report back to work on time & wants to pursue that; but Captain Dobey just thinks Hutch is still "shacking up" with his girlfriend, because Starsky had previously implied, in his presence, that's why Hutch took the time off.

But a lot of it is also Robert Loggia's performance as the jealous, ruthless, & emotionally unhinged, yet still somewhat smooth & suave, mobster who was the previous lover of the woman Captain Dobey thought Hutch was "shacking up" with & who would do--literally--anything to get her back (she had apparently run away from him, somehow ended up in S&H's neck of the woods & Huggy Bear gave her a waitress job, until Loggia's character apparently got close to tracking her down, & Hutch apparently found her what he thought was a secluded beach house). "Anything" including kidnapping Hutch & getting him hooked on Heroin to get him to tell Loggia's character where the girl is; after which he was gonna give him an OD & leave him for dead/kill him with it outright. Luckily Hutch got away before that happened, Starsky found him & took him to Huggy's to detox/go through withdrawal.

Anyway... As I said, part of the reason I liked that ep so much was Loggia's performance. He scared the crap out of me, he was so good at being bad towards Hutch & the girlfriend he saw as having been taken away from him by Hutch.

A "nice guy" performance of his I liked just as much was, perhaps, 1 of his last TV appearances seeing as his obit (the 1 I read, anyway) said he'd been battling Alzheimer's for about the last 5 years & this performance aired on TV in the Fall of 2010.

In an early S1 ep of the current version of Hawaii Five-0, he played a retired Navy Boatswain's Mate who was working as a Tourguide on the USS Missouri (aka "Mighty Mo"), docked at/near the Pearl Harbor memorial. A former Navy SEAL with PTSD storms the ship & takes part of Loggia's tour group hostage after the ex-SEAL's accused of murdering his wife, possibly during a PTSD-related psychological blackout. When Five-0's asked to work the case (because their leader, Steve McGarrett, also was a SEAL), the hostage-taker proclaims his innocence & the other members of Five-0 work to find the real killer, while McGarrett works from aboard the ship, aided secretly by Loggia's character, dealing with his fellow ex-SEAL & trying to bring the situation to a conclusion with no hostages' lives lost.

• Love 2

Actor Martin E. Brooks, Dead at 90.

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20971786,00.html

He was probably best known as (actually the second actor to play) Dr. Rudy Wells, the Dr./scientist responsible for implanting & maintaining the bionic prosthetics in both The Six Million Dollar Man (Lee Majors) & The Bionic Woman (Lindsay Wagner).

By the way, the first actor to (briefly) play Dr. Rudy Wells, early in The Six Million Dollar Man, was actor Alan Oppenheimer.

• Love 1

http://www.people.com/article/former-mickey-mouse-club-member-marque-tate-lynche-dead-at-34

Former New Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeer (from the Justin Timberlake/Ryan Gosling/Christina Aguilera/Britney Spears-era Mouseketeers) & American Idol (Season 3) contestant Marque (Tate) Lynche Dead at Age 34.

Also...

The First Transgender Actress, & Andy Warhol Muse, Holly Woodlawn, Dead at Age 69.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/holly-woodlawn-transgender-actress-walk-on-the-wild-side-1201655224/

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Actress Marjorie Lord died on November 28th at age 97. She's best-known as Danny Thomas' wife in Make Room for Daddy/The Danny Thomas Show & Make Room for Granddaddy. She was also the real-life Mother of actress Anne Archer & an LA philanthropist.

http://variety.com/2015/scene/news/marjorie-lord-dead-97-actress-make-room-for-daddy-1201659840/

Actress Rose Siggins, "Legless Suzi" in American Horror Story: Freak Show, Dead at Age 43.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rose-siggins-american-horror-storys-848283

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Old obit somehow making the rounds again, right?

Answering myself to say, yeah, that article is from his death in 2011.

I thought at first it was the curse of TCM Remembers -- it seems like whenever each year's version is released, someone else promptly dies, and the 2015 edition was just released a couple of days ago.

Edited by Bastet

^^^I simply do not understand why these news outlets refloat these old articles as though they're new.  It's such an easy error to come across these blurbs, read and presume they're current.  Is it just click-bait?  Do they get reimbursed for everyone who views the article?  Whatever...it's a pain in the neck. 

• Love 2

Or to read a frakking dateline.

Oh, there have been examples of death notices being posted with current datelines. Poor Rue McClanahan, it's happened at least twice to her.

• Love 2

She never really had much of a big story outside of being married to Asa (diehard fan of OLTL here--I STILL miss it), but it was always great to see her onscreen. RIP.

• Love 3

And two more pieces of my childhood are dead. Gladys Knight & the Pips was one of my favorite groups growing up and seeing the Harlem Globetrotters on The Wide World Of Sports was always fun.

RIP, Meadowlark & Mr. Guest.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

And two more pieces of my childhood are dead. Gladys Knight & the Pips was one of my favorite groups growing up and seeing the Harlem Globetrotters on The Wide World Of Sports was always fun.

That's the problem with being over 50.  All of the icons and institutions we grew up with and thought would be around forever -- suddenly aren't anymore, and it's a sobering reminder of our own mortality.  I definitely remember Meadowlark Lemon and the Harlem Globetrotters, especially their Saturday morning cartoon.  RIP, Mr. Lemon, and thank you for making basketball (which I normally don't like and don't follow) fun.

• Love 5