Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

LA to Budapest:

Ill be back to comment on the houses when I’ve finished the episode, but my first observation:

Is Norbert Varga a Hungarian name? He was born in Budapest ( although it seems he left early), and according to the wife, still has family ties there. But to hear him speak, I swear it sounds like a Caribbean accent. Just curious, but I bet he has an interesting personal story. I like this couple so far, and their baby is just yummy!

2 hours ago, TVForever said:

LA to Budapest:

Ill be back to comment on the houses when I’ve finished the episode, but my first observation:

Is Norbert Varga a Hungarian name? He was born in Budapest ( although it seems he left early), and according to the wife, still has family ties there. But to hear him speak, I swear it sounds like a Caribbean accent. Just curious, but I bet he has an interesting personal story. I like this couple so far, and their baby is just yummy!

Varga or Vargas seems to be a fairly common east European surname.  I think his accent was a little wonky due to the fact that English wasn't his first language and he probably had parents who spoke it with Hungarian accents.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

The only thing I found strange about the Budapest couple was the wife's insistence on a kitchen that no one else had ever used.   

That was weird, who does that?  It seemed pretty obvious that it was put into the show just because there was exactly that sort of kitchen in one of their options.  As soon as we saw it, I knew that was the place they would choose.

• Love 3
On 4/10/2019 at 8:49 AM, mojito said:

Branson to Malaga, Spain

I hate to discuss people's physical characteristics, but I couldn't see past the daughter's teeth either. To me it looked like she needed surgery while her brother needed braces. Those kids didn't get their teeth from this couple, it didn't seem. Hard to believe they had successful businesses and didn't address their children's dental needs. There's so much more to this story. This episode was one of those cases where the backstory and house hunters distracted me from the house hunt. Something is rotten in the state of Missouri. 

Once again, sitting behind the wheel, Richard looks like the size of a munchkin.

I am sure there is more to the story too. I was feeling bad thinking it but the kids dental issues were distracting me too. I wonder why they were not addressed. 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:54 AM, juliet73 said:

Thanks for posting.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, scrb said:

That's a lot.

OK, maybe divided among 6 or 7 people, it's not that bad.

I visited Bali last year.  Beautiful coasts though bad traffic everywhere and the towns are run down.

Those villas with pools and doors that open completely to the outside?

Those look great but you don't want to keep them open because of the mosquitoes.  Even if you close them, they're not weather sealed.

I got a big welt on my stomach from a bite from something that's still discolored almost 2 years since.

I think about that too when the potential HH in different episodes are told they have these big sliding doors that they can keep the doors open but I don't see any screens, so I keep on thinking about mosquitoes and other bugs coming in the homes.

20 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I thought she said that she didn't want a kitchen that was 'too local' which I presume meant she wanted all the modern conveniences like virtually every other house hunter on this show.  She phrased it badly, but I don't think she meant it in too derogatory a way.  I get why someone would want stuff like they had at home even in another country. I am all about the flush toilets and indoor plumbing even when I visit countries where they are not standard.

So, does anyone actually believe that mom and the kids including a newborn are going to be living full time in Costa Rica while dad commutes back and forth to Colorado for his bank job?  Yeah, right.  As usual, the producers of this show think we're all stupid.  Seemed pretty obvious that they were buying the place to use on vacations while visiting family there and would most likely be staying in Colorado most of the time and probably renting out the Costa Rican apartment on AirBnB or similar for income.

That makes more sense to me to as you said. I don't see them being there year round either.

18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

At some angles the wife looked like Amy Schumer and at others Amy Adams. 

I saw more Amy Schumer. I was thinking the same thing myself.

2 hours ago, TVForever said:

LA to Budapest:

Maybe he's half Hungarian on his mom's side? I didn't catch the Caribbean accent but that's possible. I liked the couple too and agree their baby is adorable.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

The only thing I found strange about the Budapest couple was the wife's insistence on a kitchen that no one else had ever used.   

Yeah, I hadn't heard that before.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, doodlebug said:

I also wondered about the Dad, Mr. I Love to Start Businesses and then Abandon Them; and how he was going to teach scuba in a swimming pool in a rental.  I realize that liability issues are not as big a thing in Europe, but I cannot imagine any landlord wanting him to run a business out of a rental home, and, if something happens while the clients are in the swimming pool, I can see there being major insurance and liability problems.  From what we heard about Dad's previous business ventures, I sure wouldn't count on him to take care of the details.  I wouldn't let him teach me scuba, either.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:41 PM, Booklady1017 said:

Yeah, I was wondering what was up with all those businesses. I wonder how long they were able to live there considering that it seems the husband and the wife (they work together in the businesses I think?) don't have a great track record with businesses but yet they keep on doing it despite their lack of success. I didn't want to say that about the kids but you are right that they need braces.

Or they could be serial entrepreneurs who start businesses, then sell them.

An entrepreneur who continuously comes up with new ideas and starts new businesses. As opposed to a typical entrepreneur, who will often come up with an idea, start the company, and then see it through and play an important role in the day to day functioning of the new company, a serial entrepreneur will often come up with the idea and get things started, but then give responsibility to someone else and move on to a new idea and a new venture. 

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/serial-entrepreneur.html

He was annoying overall, however, especially a couple of the shirts he was wearing, which looked like women's tops. 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:54 AM, juliet73 said:

So the house the Bali woman "built" is basically a hotel? Looks like her dad is a developer (https://www.windsonglife.com/). Maybe it was the way they presented the "story," but the whole thing was weird. Why would you be willing to look like a 35-year-old daddy's girl who was still relying on daddy for everything instead of coming across as a strong, independent woman? The whole "I'm finally ready to grow up!" stuff was horrible. Honey, at 35 years old, you should have been "grown up" 15 years ago.

• Love 5

On Bali girl’s Airbnb page, one of the glowing reviews was written by a woman named Hollyn.  Down the page it says “This is Kathryn’s place.” - “Hollyn helps host.”.  Makes me wonder how many of the other reviews are legit.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

I think about that too when the potential HH in different episodes are told they have these big sliding doors that they can keep the doors open but I don't see any screens, so I keep on thinking about mosquitoes and other bugs coming in the homes.

I am always drawn to the open-air living homes they show in warm climates.  However I also react badly to the bites of tropical insects.  Then I think about - curious monkeys, hungry birds, snakes and lizards on the move,  pesky rodents....  Humans with bad intentions.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 5

'Fashion blogger'(LOL) mom to Lake Zurich:  Wow, they really gave her the villian edit...until the very end, after they chose.  HGTV scriptwriters laid it on so thick that I knew within 10 minutes exactly what would happen.  

Would like to see more of that realtor.  She has a Katie Couric type of cuteness.

Estonia to Lake Zurich with the wife who was insisting on city living. Can’t believe I fell asleep right before the reveal - did she end up out by the cows? The husband seemed pretty determined...

1 hour ago, lgprimes said:

Estonia to Lake Zurich with the wife who was insisting on city living. Can’t believe I fell asleep right before the reveal - did she end up out by the cows? The husband seemed pretty determined...

Yes, but she was saying something to the effect that it wouldn’t be for long. She sure looked glamorous and pulled together for the mother of two young children.

• Love 5

I didn’t mind her she was speaking in not her first language and would be at home in a foreign country where the common language would be everyone’s second language which can be very stressful. She even said the last place was her one day dream home even though it was cheaper than the Zurich apartment not something she was insisting on.

• Love 1

Thanks for the response LittleIggy! I had a feeling it would go that way. And I recall the realtor saying there was a large expat community in that area, so it will likely be much easier for her to create a social life there, as opposed to a neighborhood full of natives. Hopefully it will work out for her. 

• Love 4

Estonia to Zurich

It was interesting to see how this fashion diva (all three of them looked rather spiffy!) didn't whine about closet space. 

I was surprised that she's living with the cows now, but, unlike so many HHs, she didn't act as though this home was the only one she'd ever live in; she acknowledged that they could live someplace else later. 

• Love 7

I always think that these travel bloggers do this to drive traffic to their blog/instagram, but as far as I can tell they don’t have a blog and her instagram is private.  Thought they chose the best apartment, but the story (as usual) doesn’t make sense.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2019 at 11:18 PM, lgprimes said:

It was like a European "Green Acres," but where Lisa Douglas is a bitch, not a ditz.

On 4/17/2019 at 12:43 AM, LittleIggy said:

Yes, but she was saying something to the effect that it wouldn’t be for long. She sure looked glamorous and pulled together for the mother of two young children.

Because in Estonia, she had her mother to take care of the kids.

I liked that the house hunters were not Americans, but it was spoiled because the woman was so nasty. 

I thought the Budapest couple was OK, except for that weird request about the kitchen never having been used. Where did that come from?

I know the show would never tackle it, but I wonder how interracial couples fare in Europe and if they face discrimination.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

Yesterday: “Bickering in Columbia”

Hard pass based on the title alone!

Swap out “Colombia,” and you’ve just described 30% of episodes. 

Change “Bickering to “Whining,” and you’ve got 60%.

The last 10% is reserved for the dreaded ”Bickering & Whining in...”

Still watch it, though, minus this one: For producers to actually use the word “bickering,” it must’ve been pretty bad. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I didn't understand why the couple in Colombia were thinking about having 3 homes. One on Lake Michigan, one in Miami, and one in Colombia?! They said they were moving to Colombia for the lower cost of living but wouldn't the three home thing kind of defeat that? Also, I get why Venezuela guy couldn't move back to Venezuela due to the economic/political situation there so was attracted to Colombia instead, but you know, Miami is not really that different from South America, so why not just stay there? And why did the other guy, who had been living in Miami before, still speak no Spanish? Also, non-Venezuelan guy was a lot older than the Venezuelan right? Did they say what either of them did for a living? Were they retired?

As a Colombian, who has spent a fair amount of time in Miami, this episode made little sense to me. That balcony in the apartment they chose was amazing though.

Edited by tvrox
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, tvrox said:

Miami is not really that different from South America, so why not just stay there?

It’s quite different not to mention the cost of living is a lot higher.

• Love 2

I was confused about the guy who talked about living in Minnesota and having a house with a view of Lake Michigan.  He is going to need one big-ass telescope to accomplish that, since he will have to look across the entire state of Wisconsin.

I can’t imagine shuttling between 3 homes.  I would guess Lake Michigan house in summer (or some time between April and October) and winter in one of their southern homes. 

It also seems mean to make those poor dogs travel that much.  I have a hard time believing that animals enjoy plane travel - especially the poor critter who gets stuck in the cargo hold.

I guess I was the only one who didn’t like the DaNang couple.  She seemed flaky and not too bright and I thought he was creepy.  I hated the way he kept telling her she was “going to have to trust” him.  I immediately question the motives of people who say that. 

And again with traveling with a dog.  As much as I love/have loved my pets, if I wanted to travel extensively/frequently I think I would forgo having one.  

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I guess I was the only one who didn’t like the DaNang couple.  She seemed flaky and not too bright and I thought he was creepy.  I hated the way he kept telling her she was “going to have to trust” him.  I immediately question the motives of people who say that. 

She was pretty but I agree, she didn't seem too bright.  She mentioned being smitten with his British accent.  Honey, it takes more than that.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Boston Area to Whanganui, NZ

She owned a yoga studio, he was an online consultant (and a drummer). Wanted to escape the stressful life. Well, I guess everything is relative. Most people would consider this seemingly childless older couple from the suburbs with those kinds of jobs as living pretty stress-free existences. Of course, we know nothing of previous health concerns, money concerns, etc.

I chuckled when he suggested using one bedroom for his drums and they talked about how, with it being the only spare bedroom, they'd have to disassemble the drums and reassemble the bed. As though that was an occurrence that would happen with frequency. But, in the end, I believe this is the house they chose.

Really nice couple. Took delight in things that most Americans on House Hunters would criticize. For instance, the bedroom that just seemed to have a bed and carpeting. She thought it was lovely. No gripes over kitchens (hard to imagine). Hope they have a nice life in New Zealand. The area looked awfully pleasant.

• Love 5

Manta Ecuador:  Am I only one that got a not so good "vibe" from the husband.  They were recently married and she quit her job (she didn't like it) and I assumed didn't get another one.  They're moving to Manta because HE visited there and liked it.  She mentioned always living in CO and now she's moving away from all of her family and friends.  I was shocked when they (he) chose what she wanted.  Especially since he said the condo was good, but the golf course one that he wanted would have been great!  He said he chose it because he loved her, and she just sat there...silent.  And just the snide way he responded about "throwing it back in his face" when she mentioned about him golfing on the weekends.  

• Love 4

I ditched the NZ couple after the 3rd time yoga wife mentioned something to the effect of "connecting to the earth". Apologies to similarly like minded people, but I find that kind of jabber to be hooey.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Manta Ecuador:  Am I only one that got a not so good "vibe" from the husband.  They were recently married and she quit her job (she didn't like it) and I assumed didn't get another one.  They're moving to Manta because HE visited there and liked it.  She mentioned always living in CO and now she's moving away from all of her family and friends.  I was shocked when they (he) chose what she wanted.  Especially since he said the condo was good, but the golf course one that he wanted would have been great!  He said he chose it because he loved her, and she just sat there...silent.  And just the snide way he responded about "throwing it back in his face" when she mentioned about him golfing on the weekends.  

I thought the wife seemed a bit unemotional or something was a bit off. Maybe she didn't like being on camera. They had only been together a year and already married. Seems fast to me. He also had two high school age daughters. That's a lot to adjust to, in the span of a year. The wife made an odd statement. At least it was odd to me. She said she was sure the husband would take good care of her--said very seriously. He didn't respond. They just looked at each other. It was almost like she was trying to reassure herself. I am probably way off base and they are totally normal and happy together. 🙂

• Love 3

Valencia: I thought the wife was so pretentious. Guess they won’t live there too long because no way will the brother and sister want to keep sharing a room as they get older. I liked the house. Guess it wasn’t actually available.

• Love 6

Valencia: Really brought out my inherent misanthropy. 

Hated the vocal fry of twinky husband, who is looking at Valencia as an exercise in "efficiency." And he was shown shoving a roll and main course into his little maw like a starving hamster. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

liked the house. Guess it wasn’t actually available.

That was my least favorite. Those staircase would annoy the fuck out of me, completely open so noise would travel throughout all floors and you would have to wench up a ton of things just because of how tight the staircases were which is most likely why they put in an electric one but it’s still cumbersome. It was also only two bedrooms with no real space to work because the rooms were small. Add in the small living space on the first floor that could only fit two narrow built in stone couches with cushions and despite what he said I can’t imagine that space as anything but an air b n b. Not to mention it was $100 over budget.

• Love 1

Valencia- ladies, if you don't want to do eye liner, don't wear long fake lashes. They look, well, fake.

The daughter looked like she was pre-pubescent. That 'sharing a bedroom' with little bro thing is NOT going to work for long.

The house was pretty cool, but probably only for a single/couple with good mobility. Having installed-and later removed-a spiral staircase, I can attest to the complete impracticality of the thing, winch or not.

• Love 3

I thought the wife seemed a bit unemotional or something was a bit off. 

Pickles, I started to mention that the wife seemed to have an edge to her. Their pairing was unsettling.

• Love 2

Nelson, New Zealand

Nice enough couple. The area seemed too nice to have to spend your time cooking and cleaning for strangers. I might've gone for a much smaller place and kicked back instead.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, MartyQui said:

I wonder if they were ever going to do a real B&B...it sort of looked like they were just renting out the room with the kitchenette.  

Reason number two of reasons I hate AirBnB other than messing with rental housing stock in SF and other places is the name which now everyone uses even when they just mean what used to be called a homestay or short term rental. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, MartyQui said:

What do you mean?  I thought they were doing a B&B like you see in Ireland...a room, maybe a shared bathroom, and a host who makes you breakfast in the morning?

They could be but most of the people on this show who use the phrase now are renting out the house as a whole or a room but not a meal to be served. Bed and Breakfasts are a thing not just in Ireland but in the last several years people don’t use it to mean what you describe.

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Do people still use travel agents?

We do. We've gone to Europe the last 3 years via Queen Mary 2 for the trip across the pond to start. Our agent books the cruise, train travel, gives us choices on hotels, some excursions, and a flight home. She's terrific! We're booked on the QM2 for our 4th trip this September. We're gone for about a month, so it's nice to have the expert help. We knew nothing about the places we visited. 

• Love 4

Valencia:  Once again, one of my pet peeves, people who have to move to a foreign country so they can "become closer as a family and spend more time with their kids."  Newsflash!  It is possible to do that in the U.S.  YOU are making the choice if you are running your kids around to activities, etc.  YOU can set limits.

The kids looked totally bored and kind of unhappy in every scene.  The place with the balcony.  "Oh the kids will love this, they like to be high up." There was literally nothing for the kids to do there, which I guess is what they are trying to achieve.  And a boy and a girl sharing a bedroom will only work for a very short time.

I believe this move was for the wife.  Hubby looked a little odd.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Reason number two of reasons I hate AirBnB other than messing with rental housing stock in SF and other places is the name which now everyone uses even when they just mean what used to be called a homestay or short term rental. 

Airbnb is the main reason Mr. Sempervivum and I are able to continue living in our big old Victorian house in downtown (city name). I get the concerns with absentee Airbnb owners, but I think we're giving visitors a chance to experience our historic neighborhood in a unique way that would be impossible if they just stayed in a hotel.

I answer the 'breakfast' question with 'It's just 'bed', no 'breakfast''(although there actually are Airbnb's that do offer breakfast). Also, our units include kitchenettes, and we're walking distance to a great 'breakfast tavern', so there's really no need.

Re. Nelson, NZ- if I were spending $800K on a residence, I wouldn't want to have people traipsing through my house to get to their bedroom. I'm not surprised that they just rent out the private-access unit.

• Love 1

Krakow: 

Since the third house was $2,700 under budget (LOL.)  I'm thinking they could have afforded to buy a freezer...

Regarding the first apt with those glass floors next to the windows, in the bedrooms above the living areas, was the architect a fan of the Sears Tower, Ferris Bueller, or an upskirt perv?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Krakow: Once again, an American family has to move abroad to “slow down” and become “closer as a family.” Yeah, they have laws against that in the US. 🙄 The wife must have a good job to have a housing budget like that.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8