Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

There was an article that a lot of rich tech people do buy homes in NZ, in case of the apocalypse or something like that.  The article came out right after Trump won.

There was another article that NZ will offer visas to young people in certain professions.  I think many were tech-related.  Wellington is trying to become a tech hub.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, scrb said:

There was another article that NZ will offer visas to young people in certain professions.  I think many were tech-related.  Wellington is trying to become a tech hub.

She was in real estate and he was in construction.

I took a shower during tonight's HHI so I missed some of it but the couple kind of cracked me up, especially the way the guy sarcastically said "When you think honeymoon, you think Belgium."  Granted, it might not be the first location I'd think of when someone says "honeymoon spot" but it's not exactly NOT in the conversation.  I've known people who have gone to Brussels and Bruges. It's not like it's a strange location for a romantic trip.

Edited by Irlandesa
41 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Every time I hear Bruges I think of one of my favorite movies, In Bruges, with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson.  It looks like a beautiful, old city.

Even better without the murder.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Every time I hear Bruges I think of one of my favorite movies, In Bruges, with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson.  It looks like a beautiful, old city.

It is beautiful and tranquil. We visited there while on a cruise and it was one of my favorite ports of call.

• Love 1

Belgium episode wasn't too bad. I remember my daughter talking about how pretty it was when she visited on a study abroad summer session. I'm claustrophobic also but usually there are stairs in an elevator building...3 floors, she could do that at her age.  (unless that safety feature is not a code there?)

First apartment wasn't bad for the price but not very pretty. Second was very modern and close to everything.  The second bedroom being too small wouldn't sway me, for a short visit, parents could stay on inflatable bed or hotel. :) Third, nice under budget but half hour from work.  Nothing overwhelmed me, so I didn't feel a pull toward any of them. Prices weren't bad, where I live in CT, 1200 a month is a one or two bedroom apartment but not furnished.

They seemed more scripted than others, at least Jason.  I realize they are always scripted but you shouldn't make it seem so obvious, the "repeat phrases" are annoying.

• Love 1

Texas to England....does anyone walk into a nice brick home on budget in England and say, I really don't like the counter tops?  This isn't your forever home or being custom made. 1650 a month and close to town.

Had husband act domineering and acted like a jerk at times, but I guess that's the price for being on TV. (at least I hope they are acts)   The second brick home was built in the 1860's, very updated and cute but out in the country. What a beautiful home but without a car, kind of isolating. It reminded  me of pictures of my daughter's boyfriends family home in England, the gardens, patio, etc. but they didn't have the extra floor with bath.

The third home, another brick home, closer to shops/school was in Colby. You could walk almost anywhere. 1250 a month for a lot of charm. I liked it. Older kitchen, like mine, but it's in England so I love it.  They didn't so it got crossed off first.

I guess these shows are hard for me because I don't have Tiiffany taste but I liked the first home they picked also and was glad they didn't show them going over budget and living away from town, with 4 kids, I would go crazy without a park and potential friends nearby.  Nice experience for them.  A doctor I worked for, his daughter moved to England because of her husband's job for 4 years and 2 kids in tow. They were outside London and she liked it but when she returned to states, said it was never "home". You adjust to the food,stores, the differences in many customs and she misses some things, but is glad to be back.  And now she has friends to visit in the future.  :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, debraran said:

.does anyone walk into a nice brick home on budget in England and say, I really don't like the counter tops?  This isn't your forever home or being custom made. 1650 a month and close to town.

That attitude always kills me.  You are renting!  And at least some of the time you aren't even footing the bill your company is and yet you quibble over minor things that will not matter one bit and won't have to live with for all that long anyway.  Because. You. Are. Renting.  Like you say I really hope a lot of this nonsense is producer driven.  But man I wouldn't want to waste my 15 minutes of TV fame coming across as a whiney entitled idiot!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 11

New York to Berlin, where to begin?!

The outwardly hostile and insulting leasing agent?

The "executive" who was easily distracted by shiny things and seemingly incapable of making simple life decisions on his own?

His mommy friend?

He shoulda picked apartment 3, but the whole group was so unpleasant that I stopped caring.

• Love 7

Berlin. I'm confused on the whole at the approach of the agent.  He was a dismissive asshole who felt pretty darn sexist to me as well.

I don't think the friend was bad at all at the end of the day, I think she was painted as a nag and it's the only way she was ever going to come off because she was the only one living in reality and ruining the fun of this spoiled manchild who wants all eyes on him and the devil agent who is either having the time of his life creating the idea of an insult real estate agent or one who sees dollar signs if he gets this diva into a higher priced rental. When he does show something truly in budget, he gets a place that couldn't be liked by this guy in a million years style wise. But giving us the opportunity to see how much of a self-centered guy he is, literally saying the floors were distracting because it takes guests eyes off of what is important with a full flourish of the hand towards his face indicating himself, like something David on Schitt's Creek would do for real. I assume the last place wasn't actually available when he looked or he would've gone for that, because the second place was a joke and I'd say there's got to be a middle ground between the 1st and the 3rd place that was never shown.

The manchild purposely brought his friend to keep him in check and they said the same thing happened when searching for his place in NYC. He trusts her opinion on many facets of his life and this was no different. And this wasn't a joke budget and there's no partner or husband there with him who will hopefully be getting a job soon to ease the financial pressure. So, the friend kept pointing out realistic things and thus came off as a bit of a mother-hen, but since neither him nor the constantly insulting realtor were going to be realistic, it's good someone was.

Not sure what the producers were going for here, but I'd be thrilled to not see this agent again. I think they thought this was a bit of an Adrian Leads in Paris or Richard in London personality, but there was entirely too much bite to this guy. He started with claws out with the insults and the dismissive attitude, he wasn't even trying to be civil or funny or charming to start from where I sat. The friend was definitely killing me with the idea that his window covering idea meant that her friend was fat, but I also can't blame her for being overly sensitive to every word out of his mouth since she was made to be the butt of all his insults from the word go.

• Love 5

I watched a show with a couple from Pennsylvania with 2 kids going to Rome. Was a little distracted by my own kids but it seemed to be a show without much drama. I really liked the home the wife did in town and over budget, the layout, close to everything, the charm, but the husband won out with the townhouse which was the largest and had a pool about 20-30 minutes away. I realize it was rented beforehand so I guess she wanted a larger home also. ; ) Their big "issue" was small or large. The participant who did a very detailed youtube video on her experience with HHI, said she needed something so she just picked an appliance she didn't end up getting I think. Kind of silly when you think about it, but that's what they think you want to watch.

Very pretty scenery and cultural shots, I might watch this one again when I have more time. It seemed to have more outdoor shots and less "I need this" which is nice.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Berlin. I'm confused on the whole at the approach of the agent.  He was a dismissive asshole who felt pretty darn sexist to me as well.

I don't think the friend was bad at all at the end of the day, I think she was painted as a nag and it's the only way she was ever going to come off because she was the only one living in reality and ruining the fun of this spoiled manchild who wants all eyes on him and the devil agent who is either having the time of his life creating the idea of an insult real estate agent or one who sees dollar signs if he gets this diva into a higher priced rental. When he does show something truly in budget, he gets a place that couldn't be liked by this guy in a million years style wise. But giving us the opportunity to see how much of a self-centered guy he is, literally saying the floors were distracting because it takes guests eyes off of what is important with a full flourish of the hand towards his face indicating himself, like something David on Schitt's Creek would do for real. I assume the last place wasn't actually available when he looked or he would've gone for that, because the second place was a joke and I'd say there's got to be a middle ground between the 1st and the 3rd place that was never shown.

The manchild purposely brought his friend to keep him in check and they said the same thing happened when searching for his place in NYC. He trusts her opinion on many facets of his life and this was no different. And this wasn't a joke budget and there's no partner or husband there with him who will hopefully be getting a job soon to ease the financial pressure. So, the friend kept pointing out realistic things and thus came off as a bit of a mother-hen, but since neither him nor the constantly insulting realtor were going to be realistic, it's good someone was.

Not sure what the producers were going for here, but I'd be thrilled to not see this agent again. I think they thought this was a bit of an Adrian Leads in Paris or Richard in London personality, but there was entirely too much bite to this guy. He started with claws out with the insults and the dismissive attitude, he wasn't even trying to be civil or funny or charming to start from where I sat. The friend was definitely killing me with the idea that his window covering idea meant that her friend was fat, but I also can't blame her for being overly sensitive to every word out of his mouth since she was made to be the butt of all his insults from the word go.

Schitt's Creek - awesome show!

And yes, this was was a painful episode to watch. I think the realtor was hoping for an eventual hookup. In the over budget apartment with the "stairway to heaven." view of the city? All I saw were rooftops and a steeple.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, debraran said:

I watched a show with a couple from Pennsylvania with 2 kids going to Rome. Was a little distracted by my own kids but it seemed to be a show without much drama. I really liked the home the wife did in town and over budget, the layout, close to everything, the charm, but the husband won out with the townhouse which was the largest and had a pool about 20-30 minutes away. I realize it was rented beforehand so I guess she wanted a larger home also. ; ) Their big "issue" was small or large. The participant who did a very detailed youtube video on her experience with HHI, said she needed something so she just picked an appliance she didn't end up getting I think. Kind of silly when you think about it, but that's what they think you want to watch.

Very pretty scenery and cultural shots, I might watch this one again when I have more time. It seemed to have more outdoor shots and less "I need this" which is nice.

I watched that show too but I kept getting distracted by her weird accent.  Is that a regional Pennsylvania accent or was it just an affectation?

I hated the Berlin episode. There are plenty of nice modern apartments there that would have been in the HH's budget since it's actually more affordable than most other big German cities; he's an idiot for going $400/month over. The agent was rude and entirely humorless.

I loved the Schoeneberg apartment (option #3) since it had the "Berlin charm" that most people look for, but it was obvious from the many sleeper sofas that it was an AirBnB rental.

The scene of the HH and his friend shopping for lederhosen and dirndls was a bit unusual since that's a more typical thing to do in Munich/Bavaria. It's like shopping for cowboy boots in NYC.

• Love 5

NYC to Berlin.

If I had to listen to the house hunter's voice all day and deal with his diva-ness and the dueling opinions of the hunter and friend, I'd probably be irritated, too. Who knows? Maybe the agent had had his fill of American shoppers, too, of late. I'm sure we come off as awfully picky.  He seemed pretty frustrated. I think the agent clashed more with the friend, though. As the two guys left the bedroom where she was outstretched on the bed, she called out, "Jerk". 

The friend was okay. I think she and her friend were getting on each other's nerves, too.

I think we had a show with three people who were all a little testy. Maybe they just needed a meal. Or a nap.

• Love 5

@Suebee12 was this the show "corporate america" was overused....omg : )

Seattle to Isle of Wight England.  On the English channel, pretty area. Wife wanted to move closer to mom with Parkinson's. Wish list 4 bedrooms, 2 baths.  1500 a month.  Made wife the financial wizard, husband, less practical.

Liked the first home, pretty and updated. Views were so lovely. Pretty patio. 1600  Second home, larger, not on beach and open floorplan, french doors, etc. No furniture but you can furnish what you want, I would want my own bed anyway.  More like a home in the states.

Third, was in a village, thatched roofs, bungalow, with 3 bedroom, only 1300 a month.  Nicer than my kids apartment for 1200 : )   Pretty deck and patio, garden and sea view.  Too small for them, but I loved it.  

Husband was irritating, but got his sea view home.   I would have taken one or three myself.  : ) 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, debraran said:

@Suebee12 was this the show "corporate america" was overused....omg : )

Seattle to Isle of Wight England.  On the English channel, pretty area. Wife wanted to move closer to mom with Parkinson's. Wish list 4 bedrooms, 2 baths.  1500 a month.  Made wife the financial wizard, husband, less practical.

Liked the first home, pretty and updated. Views were so lovely. Pretty patio. 1600  Second home, larger, not on beach and open floorplan, french doors, etc. No furniture but you can furnish what you want, I would want my own bed anyway.  More like a home in the states.

Third, was in a village, thatched roofs, bungalow, with 3 bedroom, only 1300 a month.  Nicer than my kids apartment for 1200 : )   Pretty deck and patio, garden and sea view.  Too small for them, but I loved it.  

Husband was irritating, but got his sea view home.   I would have taken one or three myself.  : ) 

Isle of Wight - While the couple were in a shop where you fill glasses with sand, after the husband said he loved the one he filled and wanted to put it in the house, the wife said that he could put it in his room.  I thought that odd and wondered if they had separate bedrooms.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Isle of Wight - While the couple were in a shop where you fill glasses with sand, after the husband said he loved the one he filled and wanted to put it in the house, the wife said that he could put it in his room.  I thought that odd and wondered if they had separate bedrooms.

I bet he snores.

Well, HHI made me want to visit the Isle of Wight and hike around it, so mission accomplished, HGTV.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, suebee12 said:

If I never hear the term "corporate America", it will be too soon!!!!

He seemed to think that his time in "Corporate America" entitled him to a sea view. Like there was a correlation and nuff said. I was SO over his whining. He was a lot to take for a rather low key feeling episode in general.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Lawgiver said:

Totally a true Philly accent. I grew up there and trained myself to speak without one, but my older sister has a huge accent. She says "wooder" instead of water. I'm sure this lady did, too.

I'm not from Philly, but went to junior high and high school just outside of Philly and dear lord, I don't care at all for a Philly accent. Certain sections of the city have stronger accents than others in my experience. But almost everyone says "wooder" instead of "water". It was seriously strange to hear coming from CA and honestly, it still is when I hear it. There was an episode of I think it was either Beachfront Bargain Hunt or Beach House Hunters and they didn't say where they were from originally, but the guy said "wooder" and I was like, he's from Philly! Or at least South Jersey. It really is a giveaway.

• Love 1

I got tired of the "corporate America" guy in the Isle of Wight episode.  After all, it was working in "corporate America" that enabled him to have a job that paid enough for him to move there.  Plus, he looked like a beached whale lying on that bed at the end. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JasmineFlower said:

He seemed to think that his time in "Corporate America" entitled him to a sea view.

While the sea views on the Isle of Wight are certainly gorgeous, the guy was acting like he'd never seen a body of water before. Seattle has several lakes and Puget Sound beaches, and ocean beaches aren't far away. I used to live in Seattle, and even though I too was toiling away in "corporate America" I still found time to go to the lake or beach on a regular basis.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Lawgiver said:

I bet he snores.

Well, HHI made me want to visit the Isle of Wight and hike around it, so mission accomplished, HGTV.

My daughter said that they probably liked the publicity, a "forgotten" part of England.  She wasn't surprised prices weren't that high since its not outside London which is where many look or near a big town. Very quaint though.

I also thought he might snore, they have been married many years, some couples told me 2 bedrooms saved their marriages. ; )  Maybe the guest rooms so couples want is for them too.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

While the sea views on the Isle of Wight are certainly gorgeous, the guy was acting like he'd never seen a body of water before. Seattle has several lakes and Puget Sound beaches, and ocean beaches aren't far away. I used to live in Seattle, and even though I too was toiling away in "corporate America" I still found time to go to the lake or beach on a regular basis.

I had the same thought while listening to him go on about the sea view. It would have made much more sense if they were moving from , say a completely area in the midwest that might be hours from any "big" water, but Seattle?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

It would help explain why they wanted a 4 bedroom house.

• Love 2

Isle of Wight.

I haven't used the phrase "Corporate America" since I left corporate America. Truthfully, I did find myself saying it a lot when I first left, though. It's like constantly referring to a town you lived in for years and recently left. It takes a while for that memory to fade.

They were a nice couple. I liked all the greenery of the third home the most.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

What the heck does "corporate America" even mean?  That you sit as a desk instead of working the plant floor?  Big freaking deal.

It means you slave away at a soul-sucking job for stagnant wages with zero job security while the oligarchs enrich themselves from the fruits of your labor and expertise then discard you when they can offshore/outsource your job for less.

• Love 16
47 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

It means you slave away at a soul-sucking job for stagnant wages with zero job security while the oligarchs enrich themselves from the fruits of your labor and expertise then discard you when they can offshore/outsource your job for less.

So that pretty much describes most jobs in America these days including factory workers.  The exception being most entry level service jobs.  God help us, there will always be a McDonalds.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

So that pretty much describes most jobs in America these days including factory workers.  The exception being most entry level service jobs.  God help us, there will always be a McDonalds.

Except they are even getting rid of the workers by using phone apps and tablets on the counter, etc to order. Look at Applebee's and Chili's also....you order from the tablet on your table and all the service person has to do is bring it to you. No real service anymore in lots of places.  Another way to save money for the big corporations.

• Love 2

Winnipeg to Townsville. 

I kept thinking, "The city of Townsville!" I couldn't help myself, because I had no idea such a place existed outside of the Power Puff Girls.

Also, she looked so much like Anna Camp that I kept expecting her to say, "Aca-beach!" Townsville looked like a nice place. I knew they were picking number two as soon as she pointed out the "old" looking furniture. The second pool was also much nicer than the first pool. And was there ever any doubt about finding a job since she's an RN?

Lastly, I hope he didn't really get that black wetsuit. The other two wetsuits he tried on are supposed to have patterns that confuse sharks!

4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

While he might have had a "soul sucking job" here in the U.S., I'd like to see him try and find a job on the Isle of Wight if he needed one.  A fisherman?  I don't think so.   ; )

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

While he might have had a "soul sucking job" here in the U.S., I'd like to see him try and find a job on the Isle of Wight if he needed one.  A fisherman?  I don't think so.   ; )

The biggest industry on the Isle of Wight is tourism.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The biggest industry on the Isle of Wight is tourism.

Yes, tourism is the biggest industry on the Isle of Wight.  So yes, perhaps he could find a job, although he'd probably wind up complaining about "corporate Isle of Wight" before long.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lawgiver said:

Winnipeg to Townsville. 

I kept thinking, "The city of Townsville!" I couldn't help myself, because I had no idea such a place existed outside of the Power Puff Girls.

And was there ever any doubt about finding a job since she's an RN?

Oh gosh, thank you! There have been just a couple of episodes in Townsville, and everytime I hear the name, I think of the Power Puff Girls. The very first time, I actually laughed and thought, "Wait, that's a real place?"

And of course she was going to have a job right away. Canada to Australia: Did she even have to jump through any hoops to be able to practice there?

Edited by TVForever
  • Love 1

Koalagirl, I caught that too, and maybe that's why they wanted 4 bedrooms.  I thought 3 would be fine even when her mother was there because they would still have an extra bedroom for the many guests they evidently expected.  I did laugh at the realtor's expression after one exchange about the wife's American closet being larger than a bedroom in one of the houses they looked at.  They never said where the mother lived or if she was planning to move in with them on a permanent basis did they?

With regard to the Townsville episode, the wife's voice drove me nuts and everything was "aaaammmmmaaaazing".  No it wasn't.  I'm sure it was a huge change from Winnipeg, but it wasn't amazing.  She might have to pass a basic skills exam or something, but I imagine it's very easy to find a job there if you are a registered nurse. 

Edited by laredhead

Isle of Wight - that man was annoying.  What I also thought was strange is that they talked about her mother's Parkinson's and staying with them so I'd think you'd want a bedroom for her on the first floor - won't it be hard for her to go/up stairs?  But I think the only house with bedroom on the first floor didn't have "that wow sea view"  you had to look out over the rooftops to  see the sea.

I wonder what this guy was like 21 years ago because I can't imagine meeting someone and marrying them in 8 weeks unless it's George Clooney (looks, charm, money, sense of humor).

Kinda late responding on the NY guy to Berlin but I didn't think he or the realtor was that bad - have seen a lot worse on this show.  

One of the things I don't get is when someone raves over having a balcony off the master bedroom - morning coffee! we can have cookouts here! I wouldn't want my guest to trample thru my bedroom to get to the deck.

• Love 2

My DVR (AT&T Uverse) is all screwed up with show titles.  I thought I was recording the Brussels episode and the episode is titled Brussels, but when it began playing it was about a man who moved from L.A. to Brisbane when he met a woman from Brisbane.  They were looking for property about an hour out of Brisbane on which to build a house or find a house with all of their specifications.  Well, you kind of figured out that the perfect house wasn't going to be found so it wasn't a big surprise that they decided to build.  I hope they are featured on a future WATN international episode because they are building a dome home.

I was impressed by all of the various fruits and vegetables they are able to grow there.  In the final shot they showed them in a smaller dome dwelling while the main house is under construction.  They also had a couple of large dogs that I hope keep the snakes away. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

My DVR (AT&T Uverse) is all screwed up with show titles.  I thought I was recording the Brussels episode and the episode is titled Brussels, but when it began playing it was about a man who moved from L.A. to Brisbane when he met a woman from Brisbane.  They were looking for property about an hour out of Brisbane on which to build a house or find a house with all of their specifications.  Well, you kind of figured out that the perfect house wasn't going to be found so it wasn't a big surprise that they decided to build.  I hope they are featured on a future WATN international episode because they are building a dome home.

I was impressed by all of the various fruits and vegetables they are able to grow there.  In the final shot they showed them in a smaller dome dwelling while the main house is under construction.  They also had a couple of large dogs that I hope keep the snakes away. 

I had the same problem with my Cox Cable.  I think HGTV either ran the wrong episode or sent the wrong information to the company that creates the menu.

• Love 3

South Africa to Rotterdam couple.  What an unusual episode  - never talked about her commute to work and although one of them remarked once about the steep stairs (which they were) they didn't say anything about how dangerous for their daughter who was just beginning to walk.  Amazing!!   

For the first time I didn't really like any of the three houses they showed.  I wonder how long they've actually been in Rotterdam because I just can't see moving to a new country and buying a house right away when you don't know anything about the city.

• Love 2
On 8/30/2017 at 10:23 AM, laredhead said:

I would like to see an update in the future, also.   I thought they were going to buy the already-built dome house.  I thought that property was fantastic, and the views were amazing.  Plus, it was thirty minutes closer to Brisbane. 

I guess that guy really wanted to build his own dome house.  Enough to live in a shed for a year or two.  The wife (I think they were married) didn't seem very happy about the shed-living.  I can't say I blame her... but she did look like she was enjoying her garden and animals at the end, at least.

• Love 2

Cabo San Lucas

I wonder how in the hell those two ever got married.  He seems like he's super laid back and probably a fun guy to be around but his wife was an unimaginable bitch.  She complained about everything and had some shit to say about everything.

They'll get a divorce in 5 years.

• Love 2

Couple relocating from UK to Australia (he was Australian).  I think it was Queensland, near a mountain where people run up & down without stopping.  I felt like punching him.  She wanted nearby neighbors, while he wanted acreage (for what?).  Poor woman left everything to move with this idiot & he wants to isolate her.  I didn't see the end so don't know what "they" chose.

• Love 1