Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My favourites (!) are the London episodes, but that whiney couple really reduced the fun.   The non-school-attending fellow was painted at least as being really pretty stupid, and definitely was so small-minded.  Since he had only just come from Dallas, I wonder where he got so wrapped up in St John's Wood.  But it's always so great to see the streets and inside the houses.  Also fun to see Richard be as tolerant as he possibly can under challenging circumstances.   He mentioned 'strains in the relationship' -- If it was not producer-driven, which it didn't appear to be, it was pretty sad.  Still - London!

• Love 7

Back to the Rome episode with Akee and my question is whether anyone saw his HH friend in the last scene where there were other people in his apartment?  She was in every scene with him except that one, unless I missed seeing her.  I also liked Akee's mother.  As for not having an oven, perhaps he can buy a counter top convection oven for the time being.

I live about 70 miles north of New Orleans, and when he said he was a small child (I don't remember the age) when Hurricane Katrina hit, it reminded me it was 12 years ago, but seems both like yesterday and also 50 years ago sometimes.  I appreciated his desire to broaden his world and his statement that the world is larger than New Orleans is so true.     

• Love 2

I actually liked the London guy that was obsessed with the St John Wood location. I didn't like that he mentioned it 100x, but he had a dry sense of humor and was quick with the snark - qualities I like. His husband, the student,  had the personality of a wet noodle. I think he said budget 101x! 

I liked the 1st and 3rd flats. The 2nd was way too small, and the decor was boring that's probably why the student liked it. And of course it was $200 under budget so he loved it even more! 

I'm glad the realtor said something about adapting to the culture or way of life. It's frustrating when these people move out of the US and expect EVERYTHING to look like America! 

• Love 6

I wanted to change the channel on the "humanitarian" girl in Paris last night.  Whiney whiner that whines!  Her friend was so adamant on pushing her to take the apartment in the city center but nooooo..she had to have that extra bedroom.  She was asking for the world with that budget.  At least we got to see Adrien Leeds but she couldn't even talk her into that beautiful second apartment.

• Love 5

Did anyone watch the one with the Chicago girl moving to Guam to be a pharmacist?  Wow, what a high maintenance person.  Her sister, who was there to look for places with her, had so much more common sense. 

• Love 4

SoCal to Bermuda

Sameera's local guide, I thought, was either creepy, or they were already in a relationship. Of course, in the end, the were married. I'm sure they were married at the start of the show. It was quite obvious that there were sparks there. 

I hope she likes Bermuda. Not my cup of tea. Tiny and cramped and, compared to islands in the Caribbean, pretty bland culturally and historically.  And the prices! Imagine paying almost $34K for a Honda Fit (as much as twice the price in the US). 

• Love 1

I knew someone who had relatives in Bermuda. She would stay with them. Definitely 2 ;prices in Bermuda, theirs and for others looking. I could never pay that much more.

I enjoyed going there many years ago, From CT, it was quick, clean and I could walk from one end to the other. Living there...no.  I also couldn't listen to the "guest" talk again. Does anyone move without thinking about guests? Might be scripted but I know my hubby could never read "I have to  have an extra bed for guests who will come once a year or less" I would get what I could afford.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojito said:

SoCal to Bermuda

Sameera's local guide, I thought, was either creepy, or they were already in a relationship. Of course, in the end, the were married. I'm sure they were married at the start of the show. It was quite obvious that there were sparks there. 

I hope she likes Bermuda. Not my cup of tea. Tiny and cramped and, compared to islands in the Caribbean, pretty bland culturally and historically.  And the prices! Imagine paying almost $34K for a Honda Fit (as much as twice the price in the US). 

Yes, I wondered if he was why she moved there.

• Love 2
On 7/17/2017 at 10:17 AM, Koalagirl said:

Did anyone watch the one with the Chicago girl moving to Guam to be a pharmacist?  Wow, what a high maintenance person.  Her sister, who was there to look for places with her, had so much more common sense. 

Did I hear correctly that she shipped her car to Guam?  Why spend all that money shipping instead of buying something on the island?  Granted, she might not be able to find the exact same car on Guam but I bet she could still find a convertible!

• Love 1

Did I hear correctly that she shipped her car to Guam?  Why spend all that money shipping instead of buying something on the island?  Granted, she might not be able to find the exact same car on Guam but I bet she could still find a convertible!

Was this the woman driving around in the Lexus? As I recall, she was quite the princess.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, my3sons said:

It costs about $2500 to ship a car to the US to Guam and cars are more expensive on Guam because of costs to get cars there so it could very easily have made economic sense. I know a few people who have done it because it was cheaper.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, debraran said:

Does anyone move without thinking about guests? Might be scripted but I know my hubby could never read "I have to  have an extra bed for guests who will come once a year or less" I would get what I could afford

Totally agree, Debraran. I don't think any of us buy a house for guests. It also irritates me when they love a house, but since their dog wouldn't like the backyard, it's off their list. GMAFB. And of course there are the never-ending comments about needing a house big enough to entertain. Who are you entertaining? The entire Navy fleet??

Like you said, buy a house YOU like (not your friends or animals) and more importantly, what you can afford.

• Love 6
(edited)

The guests who may (or may not) show up and stay a whole week but who require their own suite of rooms make me laugh but I do have some sympathy with the need to have a little space to "entertain" - although that said who exactly will they be entertaining in a strange country where supposedly they know no one?  When we downsized after the kids moved out we were stupid.  We didn't stop to think that our kids would marry and would have kids of their own.  Now when we all get together it's not just the 4 of us anymore there are 10 of us (and that's not including my parents and our assorted siblings and their families) and we need room for high chairs and other baby related paraphernalia.  If we'd been smart we'd have bought someplace with a much bigger kitchen and living room area!  To hell with extra bedrooms.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

The guests who may (or may not) show up and stay a whole week but who require their own suite of rooms make me laugh but I do have some sympathy with the need to have a little space to "entertain" - although that said who exactly will they be entertaining in a strange country where supposedly they know no one?  When we downsized after the kids moved out we were stupid.  We didn't stop to think that our kids would marry and would have kids of their own.  Now when we all get together it's not just the 4 of us anymore there are 10 of us (and that's not including my parents and our assorted siblings and their families) and we need room for high chairs and other baby related paraphernalia.  If we'd been smart we'd have bought someplace with a much bigger kitchen and living room area!  To hell with extra bedrooms.

That's true for many parents, although some have kids that only can visit a few times a year if they are lucky because of location.  Bedroom space is the last thing they need.  I know one family that has 2 pullout couches and portable cribs and it's like camping out but it's that or a hotel. Most of the time it's fine, you only sleep for a few hours, kitchen, living room space is more needed.

That's why it didn't surprise me when a free-spirit mom who bought a tiny house and no room for grown kids, moved a few years later. If I were a betting person I'd think someone had a child or got married.

• Love 1

There have been only a few episodes when I thought the HH's were being prudent wanting a separate guest bedroom/suite for visitors, and those have been when it was stated that parents came on a regular basis from across the country or from another country and stayed for weeks at a time.   That's when a separate guest suite makes sense.  I have purchased 5 houses and never considered where guests would sleep.  I don't know that many people I would invite to stay with me, and although I have 3 bedrooms now, 2 of them are used for other things - an office and what I call my "indoor climate controlled storage unit" because I don't have an attic, garage, or a basement to store things.  When my brother and sister-in-law come to visit, they stay in a hotel.

Regarding the Bermuda episode, that was a very small house.  I don't care if people spend a lot of time outside there, it was very small.  I kept wanting to know where the advising friend turned boyfriend/husband lived.  We all know this doesn't take place real time, so he must have had a house or apartment that might have been larger than what she chose.  Maybe his place didn't have a view of the water which seemed to be the overriding factor in the decision.  I didn't like any of the places.  I wonder what government jobs pay in Bermuda, because I would think she would have made a pretty good salary as a tax attorney in L.A.   

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, laredhead said:

There have been only a few episodes when I thought the HH's were being prudent wanting a separate guest bedroom/suite for visitors, and those have been when it was stated that parents came on a regular basis from across the country or from another country and stayed for weeks at a time.   That's when a separate guest suite makes sense.  I have purchased 5 houses and never considered where guests would sleep.  I don't know that many people I would invite to stay with me, and although I have 3 bedrooms now, 2 of them are used for other things - an office and what I call my "indoor climate controlled storage unit" because I don't have an attic, garage, or a basement to store things.  When my brother and sister-in-law come to visit, they stay in a hotel.

Regarding the Bermuda episode, that was a very small house.  I don't care if people spend a lot of time outside there, it was very small.  I kept wanting to know where the advising friend turned boyfriend/husband lived.  We all know this doesn't take place real time, so he must have had a house or apartment that might have been larger than what she chose.  Maybe his place didn't have a view of the water which seemed to be the overriding factor in the decision.  I didn't like any of the places.  I wonder what government jobs pay in Bermuda, because I would think she would have made a pretty good salary as a tax attorney in L.A.   

I have to wonder, knowing; how these shows work, if that was really his house to begin with.

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, my3sons said:

Usually when movers do these types of things, their employer's picking up the tab.  Pharmacists have been in demand, recently so makes sense to me.

(edited)

Anyone else think they're getting a bit sloppy, filming these days?  Or, even sloppier, shall we say?  The 6 month standard editing period is stretching out.  Won't mention all the things I'm noticing - don't want to spoil it for anyone. 

Sounds like they stretched out the Pitt episode, too.  Mrs. Dr's wife sounded like the type who called them up, asking if they'd help them find a house, lol!  Also sounds like she called up the local newspaper b/c she didn't want any of the unwashed viewers (haha) thinking they couldn't afford furniture.  (The HH "don't touch anything" rule primarily means improvements, i.e. making changes that could affect value.)

Haven't ever noticed this before but have a longtime friend who's a speech expert.  Mrs. Dr. Pitt sounded like she had a speech impediment - not vocal fry.  Perhaps a parent or (more likely) a well-meaning teacher should have referred her for therapy.

Here's their article, below.  Now, now, the furniture's on its way ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2017/07/08/House-Hunters-Hampton-family-Christine-and-Christopher-Falcon/stories/201707080007                  

Hmmm, did she share a bit too much?  She might want to read her contract.   

ETA:  Sorry, guys, was sure I was posting this to the HH thread.  No way to move it (that I know of) plus it's lengthy and includes an insert.  Ouch!  Anyone mind?  Given the insert, I'll refer readers to it on the other thread.  Oops!  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, aguabella said:

Anyone else think they're getting a bit sloppy, filming these days?  Or, even sloppier, shall we say?  The 6 month standard editing period is stretching out.  Won't mention all the things I'm noticing - don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Are you referring to things like the lonely TV mount in the living room? ;-)

• Love 2

Tanzania.

Another must-have extra bedroom for guests. They have two boys. For that rare occasion when the family has a guest visit from the US, the boys couldn't double up. 

The idiot father had to do a back flop on every bed. Grrr....

For crying out loud, Africa is a continent, not a country. Stop with the "living in Africa" crap. Don't you know where you are? Why can't people acknowledge the countries of Africa rather than lump them together?

I was with the wife. Go condo for $700 less and no outdoor maintenance.

• Love 11

Ha, was going to comment that majib and seema REALLY seemed to like each other!  So no surprise at the end, when they really DID!  So I guess he was helping her choose the house with an eye towards where he wanted to live- or it was all for the show and she now lives in his place. 

• Love 4

Tennessee to Germany, Found the wife a bit annoying but I know that might not be the real her. If my husband was the working spouse and I kept insisting he drive an hour a day so I can be near possible friends, I think he would be a little annoyed. I wouldn't want to make his job harder in a new environment but that's me. They usually don't stay for a long time when going for work.

I did like the second 2 bedroom with spiral staircase though that they took and they didn't have the usual pet that couldn't get up the stairs. ; )

The third apartment was cute, in suburbs, a touch of home with a nice deck, 2 bedrooms for only 1000 a month, 600 under budget.

Understanding they were living in that one when they filmed the show already, the commute was probably not a big deal to either of them so the best choice. It does seem they have met a lot of friends already. That always seems to happen in foreign countries while in the US, so many people say how hard it is to make friends when you move.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, debraran said:

It does seem they have met a lot of friends already. That always seems to happen in foreign countries while in the US, so many people say how hard it is to make friends when you move.

I question this in most cases.  I think either they have lived there a lot longer than their dubious back story indicates or else the so called friends all gathered at their house are ringers paid to be there and are probably members of the production crew or friends of friends of friends who they get to come over because "hey bring some friends and you can all be on TV".

• Love 7
8 hours ago, debraran said:

Tennessee to Germany, Found the wife a bit annoying but I know that might not be the real her. If my husband was the working spouse and I kept insisting he drive an hour a day so I can be near possible friends, I think he would be a little annoyed. I wouldn't want to make his job harder in a new environment but that's me. They usually don't stay for a long time when going for work.

I did like the second 2 bedroom with spiral staircase though that they took and they didn't have the usual pet that couldn't get up the stairs. ; )

The third apartment was cute, in suburbs, a touch of home with a nice deck, 2 bedrooms for only 1000 a month, 600 under budget.

Understanding they were living in that one when they filmed the show already, the commute was probably not a big deal to either of them so the best choice. It does seem they have met a lot of friends already. That always seems to happen in foreign countries while in the US, so many people say how hard it is to make friends when you move.

I was yelling at the television to pick the third one!!!  $600 UNDER budget?  Bank the money and travel around Europe!!!  The wives usually play the "I gave up everything to move here with you" card so things generally go their way.  Me?  I would pack so fast it would make your head spin.  Living overseas?  And I may not have to work?  Where do I sign and when do I board?

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I was yelling at the television to pick the third one!!!  $600 UNDER budget?  Bank the money and travel around Europe!!!  The wives usually play the "I gave up everything to move here with you" card so things generally go their way.  Me?  I would pack so fast it would make your head spin.  Living overseas?  And I may not have to work?  Where do I sign and when do I board?

I would have picked the third one, too. More money to travel and enjoy life...yes!  My second choice was the one they chose. They never said what her occupation was, did they? Also, the realtor said its was 30 minutes one way from the third location, but 30 minutes via what method of transportation? Car, bus, train? I liked the couple and thought they were adorable. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I question this in most cases.  I think either they have lived there a lot longer than their dubious back story indicates or else the so called friends all gathered at their house are ringers paid to be there and are probably members of the production crew or friends of friends of friends who they get to come over because "hey bring some friends and you can all be on TV".

When people move for work the employer often strongly encourage group activities that include spouses and family. There are also expat organizations that have weekly activities and a great place to meet people. When my parents relocated to different countries they found it much easier to make friends than when they moved to different places in the states because of the network and support system that encourage it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

That's true, and we certainly had ready made friends when we moved to England because there were a few other families moving over there at the same time my husband was transferred.  But the shows I am thinking about when the "friends" were talking they were locals not expats.  Sure it's entirely possible they're the kind of people who settle right in and make a circle of friends, but IME at least that's not typical for most of us when we relocate anywhere let alone another country and it bothers me a bit that HHI consistently seems to give the message that you will be living in a new place with great new friends right away.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3

Also, one of the places that the Tennessee to Nuremberg couple saw had a counter top dishwasher that looked like the earliest, most ancient microwave that my mom had. How in the world does that work? Where does the water drain? 

12 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

How in the world does that work? Where does the water drain? 

There are two hoses, one connects to your faucet and you use that to fill it and another is a drain house that let's all the water out to drain down your sink drain. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There are two hoses, one connects to your faucet and you use that to fill it and another is a drain house that let's all the water out to drain down your sink drain. 

That's like my old portable washing machine. 2 hoses , hooked up to sink. Except for size, did  a decent job and having a young child, his clothes were easy because of size to do a weeks worth at once. ; )

8 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

That's true, and we certainly had ready made friends when we moved to England because there were a few other families moving over there at the same time my husband was transferred.  But the shows I am thinking about when the "friends" were talking they were locals not expats.  Sure it's entirely possible they're the kind of people who settle right in and make a circle of friends, but IME at least that's not typical for most of us when we relocate anywhere let alone another country and it bothers me a bit that HHI consistently seems to give the message that you will be living in a new place with great new friends right away.

I agree. When my cousin went to UK for 9 months, he actually went alone and wife stayed here with kids (she came in summer)He met other expats but mainly from his work. I did read a long time ago, that people in videos are sometimes not really friends and everyone has to want to be filmed, even the neighbors.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ha, I actually would have been right there with the wife in Tennessee to Nuremberg, mainly because you're not about to drop me off in the suburbs of a place I've never been and expect me to just roll with it. Especially if I'm not working. How isolating.

There are no kids and no pets, so why live in a house outside of the city? Yes, it's $600 under budget, but couples always overestimate how much traveling they're actually going to do, and I say this as someone who loves to travel (just like to rest of y'all). Let's live a little and stay in the city where amenities are on our doorstep because it's the day to day life that you ultimately have to get through.

She ended up getting a job anyway, so much of the arguing was moot, but still this is a once in a lifetime opportunity -- live in the now rather than planning to travel later. 

Edited by cyberfruit
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 7/25/2017 at 3:24 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

That Tennessee wife -- bless her heart. I hated her pretty much throughout (especially her line about "he's so selfish because he doesn't want to drive an hour to and from work, so I can walk to shops and restaurants," but I did agree with her about the apartments. (Although a 30-minute drive is not terrible, he has to do that every day, while it's unlikely she would be going into the city every day and having to endure a 30-minute commute.) 

What struck me is how they both seemed to actively dislike each other, like if they picked the apartment the other liked, somehow, one of them "lost."

I would also be totally down for living in a foreign country and not having to work.

And to catch up on some of the past ones:

I really wanted to like the couple moving to Tanzania. I really liked their attitude of wanting to expose their boys to different cultures (and it sounded like they were already learning Swahili at the end), but right after the husband would show how open-minded he was, he'd do something dickish, like flop loudly on the bed (and he broke that last one, didn't he?). 

I still don't get the agita about doing housework or yard work either, in these countries (like the Thailand couple a few episodes ago). While I was surprised the monthly rent was so high (even in the States, $4500 is high), the per capita income is low (in Tanzania, it's $2700 a year). I'm sure they could get domestic help and gardeners for relatively little, and they'd be helping the local economy.

Bermuda: Gah, I hated the "friend" who turned out to be her husband. He was so controlling and annoying, telling her what she really wanted in the "Bermuda experience." Kudos, though, to the realtor with her digs about the househunter having to adjust her expectations about the type of apartment she could get for the money she had to spend. That third apartment was the best one.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

hile it's unlikely she would be going into the city every day and having to endure a 30-minute

AT the end of the show they said she had a job which given the nature of work visas she probably had secured before they moved so I imagine the commute storyline was fake and that one way or another one of them was going to have to commute.

• Love 3
On 7/25/2017 at 6:02 PM, Spunkygal said:

I would have picked the third one, too. More money to travel and enjoy life...yes!  My second choice was the one they chose. They never said what her occupation was, did they? Also, the realtor said its was 30 minutes one way from the third location, but 30 minutes via what method of transportation? Car, bus, train? I liked the couple and thought they were adorable. 

I understand they were a bit in the sticks (it wasn't THAT far) and there are taxi's, cabs, bikes, hitch a ride with a neighbor.  Plus with that extra $600 I would be in France, Italy, Belgium....bye honey!!!  See you on the weekend!!!  And I am a totally cheap and non-fussy traveler so I would have been ALL OVER EUROPE!!!

• Love 1

Ecuador ep: the view of the 2nd house was beautiful...I'm glad they chose it.  At the end, the mentioned they already hosted  ten people at their house and they only lived there for 3 months!  They must be very popular!  He said a few times that they were "fun people."  He struck me as kind of annoying and after a couple of drinks would be totally obnoxious!

Okinawa ep:  Since I FF through the beginning, I didn't understand why the dad and son needed a huge garage to work on cars.  I could understand if it was a hobby, but it didn't seem like it.  And why was the son in on the decision making?  I didn't see him reaching for his checkbook when it was time to buy.  He seemed a bit off anyway. It was kind of creepy how he was always looking at the realtor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

Okinawa ep:  Since I FF through the beginning, I didn't understand why the dad and son needed a huge garage to work on cars.  I could understand if it was a hobby, but it didn't seem like it.  And why was the son in on the decision making?  I didn't see him reaching for his checkbook when it was time to buy.  He seemed a bit off anyway. It was kind of creepy how he was always looking at the realtor.

They mentioned early on, they were from Utah and their son was a senior and would be leaving his school, etc.  Part of the plan was to have him seem included in the process since they were taking him out of his comfort zone. I think he probably thought it was a great idea on some level.

I had to scroll through most of the Texas to Italy episode last night.  That wife was in lala land.  I know, it is director generated, but she gave such a bad vibe.  Even if it was pretend, it was way over the top distracting.  Perhaps she was auditioning for a Real Housewives part.  :)

Of course they chose the correct abode.  

Okay, rant over.  :)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pine said:

I had to scroll through most of the Texas to Italy episode last night.  That wife was in lala land.  I know, it is director generated, but she gave such a bad vibe.  Even if it was pretend, it was way over the top distracting.  Perhaps she was auditioning for a Real Housewives part.  :)

Of course they chose the correct abode.  

Okay, rant over.  :)

No you can rant all you want!  I actually made popcorn for this episode!!  Awful woman and her FOUR bedrooms and a POOL in....Italy?  Loved the husband - he was so reasonable.  Finally he said it:  "We are DOWNSIZING so let's downsize!"  Plus you can live there for a year and if it still repulses you you can....you know......move?  She was so confident her travel business would take off, and I was hoping it would.....but what if it tanks?  Plus you have extra cash to travel so those precious daughters you talked about constantly can go to other countries!!  That flat they took was HUGE.  

• Love 3

I think you have conjoined 2 episodes- I was yelling at the lady in the Lucca episode who wanted the country house w/ pool, but they chose the right place in the end (although I was waiting to hear how they would deal w/ pigeons). & the single lady w/ the travel business moving to Vietri also chose the best place,the single apartment in the city. I hope both of them love their homes.

As soon as the Texas to Italy woman said porchetta (ch sounding like church), my eyes rolled so much I'm just now getting them back in my head.  I know a lot of drama is HGTV-created, but for crying out loud, learn how to pronounce Italian.  It's not that difficult.

1 hour ago, Thistle said:

I think you have conjoined 2 episodes- I was yelling at the lady in the Lucca episode who wanted the country house w/ pool, but they chose the right place in the end (although I was waiting to hear how they would deal w/ pigeons). & the single lady w/ the travel business moving to Vietri also chose the best place,the single apartment in the city. I hope both of them love their homes.

Is the Lucca episode the Texas to Italy one?  If so, she also had a travel business.  Or so she said. 

1 hour ago, Christine said:

As soon as the Texas to Italy woman said porchetta (ch sounding like church), my eyes rolled so much I'm just now getting them back in my head.  I know a lot of drama is HGTV-created, but for crying out loud, learn how to pronounce Italian.  It's not that difficult.

Yikes! Embarrassed to admit this, but I've also been pronouncing with the "ch" sound. I think I got it from listening to The Splendid Table.

CH is pronounced as our K.

C is pronounced as our CH.

There's no K, J, or W in the Italian alphabet.

We have a relative named Cecilia, so in Italian, that's Cheh.CHEE' lee.ah.  Rome accent, however, might be Sheh.SHEE'lee.ah.  Her brother calls her Shee-Shee.  Between the different pronunciations in the various Italian regions, it can be so hard to learn the language.  My MIL speaks a dialect that is rapidly disappearing.  Her Milanese and Roman relatives laugh at her when she talks.  My husband and I learned basic Italian but even that doesn't work everywhere.

Porchetta would be pork.eh'ta.  I may have accents in the wrong place - I think usually the next to last syllable is accented.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2017 at 9:49 PM, biakbiak said:

It costs about $2500 to ship a car to the US to Guam and cars are more expensive on Guam because of costs to get cars there so it could very easily have made economic sense. I know a few people who have done it because it was cheaper.

Wouldn't the Government pay for the shipping?  as I recall, it was sometime ago, she was working for some aspect of government as a pharmacist. 

5 hours ago, Christine said:

I thought the mom corrected the daughter's pronunciation (porCHetta) to "porketta."  I caught it because I thought "oh, I didn't know that!"  ??

• Love 2