Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
14 hours ago, aghst said:

Just seemed like she is used to getting her way.

I went back and watched the end of the show to make sure I wasn't getting myself confused!  She was suggesting the cheaper, 2-bedroom house, but he said they'd end up using the savings on counseling for the family for having to live in such tight quarters!  She didn't want the "city house" because it wasn't close to the beach, and he said that it looks like every suburban home in Canada, so he wasn't too crazy about it either.  He then said, "city living is out for us." 

She said again that the 2-bedroom was the affordable one, but he said that the pool house was a one-in-a-million chance for them.  He asked her if she'd consider going back to work and she said she would, and then she did!  I was shocked because I didn't think she'd consider it, but it looked like they made the right choice, and they were happy with the house.  He said that he takes his bike to work every day and he's loving it.  I didn't like her attitude throughout the show, but in the end, they made it work. 

Of course, the whole thing could've been a ruse and she was going to go back to work anyway.  We'll never know!

Edited by Chit Chat
  • Like 4
On 6/23/2023 at 7:17 AM, snarts said:

The Hague: I adored her, the city and the house she chose.

Me, too, on all three counts. 

I also liked it when they went to the third house, down that alley in the back of the property, and her co-worker said, "I've heard about these houses."  Because yeah, you can't actually see one unless you know somebody who lives in one.  And you might not even realize they exist.

That's actually the main reason I watch HHI--find out about quirks that various places have.  Well, and HH in the U.S., too--the Pittsburgh toilet, for example. 

• Like 14

I have such a huge backlog of HH episodes.

And I've stopped recording certain episodes, in places that don't seem as interesting to me or I've deleted them after recording.

But HHI, I try to keep up with the new episodes as they air.

• Like 3
On 6/19/2023 at 12:48 AM, CalicoKitty said:

That wife was one of the most annoying people ever.  I feel sorry for her husband and kids.  That episode was not pleasant to watch.  She was so self-centered and demanding.  Was the house they chose the one where they were going to put the 2 kids in the primary bedroom upstairs with the amazing view and they were going to take the smaller bedroom/bathroom downstairs because the primary didn't have a door?  The wife was really upset about the missing door. She really wanted her privacy.  I didn't think it would be that much of a problem since the parents would be on a different-and private-floor.  Those kids were too old to be sharing a bedroom.

No, that was two bedroom house.  They chose the three bedroom house on the hill farther from the husband's work and over their alleged budget.

On 6/23/2023 at 1:50 AM, Chicken Fingers said:

The Hague: I hated the house she chose--like a claustrophobic little fishbowl. I wonder if she was planning to age in place there with that staircase, or maybe move to her elderly parents' house eventually. The second house was lovely and cosy, with a fireplace and outside area, and near the beach. 

It was nice to see a sensible older woman on her own, torn between moving away from her college-aged kids and trying to spend a last bit of time with parents in their 80s. A lot of us can identify with that phase of life.

I totally would've robbed a bank to be able to buy that second place, but I get her not wanting to overextend herself.  The little house was cramped, but, like you, I did think of her probably moving in with the elderly parents at some point.  And maybe renting out the little house?  That first place was a total no go.  Why would anyone want the bath and shower in their bedroom?

On 6/23/2023 at 8:17 AM, snarts said:

Just me, or was there's potentially something romantical going on with her co-worker? 

I hope not, since he had a partner/spouse and kids.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:30 AM, abbyzenn said:

I agree The Hague house hunter was a refreshing delight.  Her background was one of the more interesting ones on this show - growing up as the daughter of diplomatic service people and living around the world meeting, her husband in a London bar. 

I really liked her.  When she started talking about being sent off to boarding school, I was a bit wary but then she explained why.  Wow, talk about a tough decision for her parents; I'm glad she understood it and had come to terms with the effect on her childhood.

• Like 5
On 6/24/2023 at 11:22 AM, Chit Chat said:

I went back and watched the end of the show to make sure I wasn't getting myself confused!  She was suggesting the cheaper, 2-bedroom house, but he said they'd end up using the savings on counseling for the family for having to live in such tight quarters!  She didn't want the "city house" because it wasn't close to the beach, and he said that it looks like every suburban home in Canada, so he wasn't too crazy about it either.  He then said, "city living is out for us." 

She said again that the 2-bedroom was the affordable one, but he said that the pool house was a one-in-a-million chance for them.  He asked her if she'd consider going back to work and she said she would, and then she did!  I was shocked because I didn't think she'd consider it, but it looked like they made the right choice, and they were happy with the house.  He said that he takes his bike to work every day and he's loving it.  I didn't like her attitude throughout the show, but in the end, they made it work. 

Of course, the whole thing could've been a ruse and she was going to go back to work anyway.  We'll never know!

To me, it came across more as him being resigned to not getting the option which was best for him because she had to be near the beach.  And it sounded like she always got her way.  But I'll admit to finding her whining about the 15 minute drive to the beach to be extremely annoying and entitled, so I'm possibly putting the worst possible spin on it because I disliked her intensely.

• Like 4

West Springfield, MA to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Taniel had the line of the night. "What you see is what you get." Surprised one of the many circus friends didn't come along to offer advice. Taniel is on fire tonight, I moved down with all my CDs, don't judge me. I'm confused on whether that terrace at the small studio is his or belongs to the whole building? Not sure I could live in that one.

• Like 1

Puerto Vallarta episode - If indeed that large terrace is a shared space, how would he essentially run a business from there? What client would feel comfortable getting a massage in what's essentially a public space? I know I wouldn't.

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

What client would feel comfortable getting a massage in what's essentially a public space?

I didn't see the episode, but maybe the people who pay for cheap massages in the middle of a mall would find this an improvement and pay a little more for them?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I was confused about the terrace, too.  And whether he’d be able to support himself doing chair massages.

Since the terrace was shared, I can’t imagine clients settling in for a massage while neighbors are grilling their dinners or having drinks.  But at least it’s a rental.

• Like 1

We had a massage therapist do chair massages (it's a special chair) at our work and the building in general, right in the lobby. You wear your clothes like usual, not undressed or anything. It was a good business. You knew when he was coming and made appointments and got a massage in the middle of a work day. I miss that.

So probably that was what he was talking about, not the get undressed lay down on the table kind of massage.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I have the opposite view about him doing massages in a shared space-most posts have been about the privacy for the client, but I wouldn't want my relaxation time/privacy on a shared terrace interrupted by someone conducting business and strangers coming by on a consistent basis.

I am always bemused by house hunters with VERY limited budgets who are shocked! surprised! by how little they get for their limited budget.

• Like 11

Can’t believe Taniel described the house which the house hunter eventually chose as a grower not a shower.

Did the guy really want to be close to the beach or just went for the most affordable one?

• Like 2
On 6/28/2023 at 1:27 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

We had a massage therapist do chair massages (it's a special chair) at our work and the building in general, right in the lobby. You wear your clothes like usual, not undressed or anything. It was a good business. You knew when he was coming and made appointments and got a massage in the middle of a work day. I miss that.

So probably that was what he was talking about, not the get undressed lay down on the table kind of massage.

It’s not the undressed-ness that would bug me, it’s all of the commotion.

• Like 3

Oldie with Adrian in Paris, so of course, I had to watch. Even though it was that Canadian woman with the little doggie who had (for some reason) an eye on the 16th. As Adrian kept saying, it's not a place for a young(ish) single woman. But it is a Haussmann heaven filled with the rich, so maybe her fantasy was meeting some single rich guy living with his family walking his dog they meet and voila!

I'm fond of the 7th and have stayed there a few times of my many visits. Anyway, she works (and, of course, lives) in the 15th, which is a stone's throw from the 7th. Fewer tourists. And three balconies for her little doggie to go out on and "sniff"--that's a new euphemism for me. Ew and LOL!

Maybe she should have asked Adrian for some decorating advice, I wasn't crazy about the after shots. Or the large roast with potatoes for 4. You can take the girl out of Canada, but ...

• LOL 5
On 6/27/2023 at 10:42 PM, ECM1231 said:

What client would feel comfortable getting a massage in what's essentially a public space? I know I wouldn't.

It would be difficult to relax with lots of commotion going on in the area.  He's a nice enough guy, but if I'm Googling ads for massage therapists and it said to go to someone's apartment/home, that would be a big fat no for me!  

Hopefully things are working out for him there.  He seemed happy when they checked back with him after 3 months.  That's all that matters!!

• Like 7

Yokosuka, Japan: very interested in this one as a long time friend is moving there next month & I plan to visit.

Not too impressed with the housing options although the sea and blooming cherry blossoms were quite pretty.  Not at all surprised they chose the house closest the base in the community full of ex-pats. It will likely make the transition much easier, especially for the kids. 

• Like 6

Was very interested in the Yokosuka episode as I have lived and worked in Japan.  But, didn't care for the wife.  Wants traditional, hates traditional, wants kids to eat new foods, refused to try something at a stand.  She went all in on having lived abroad when a child but then seemed resistant to having a more Japanese experience.  American style home, American neighborhood and even said it would be easier for the kids to make friends speaking English-which is true but young children learn language quickly and would still easily make friends.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Yokosuka, Japan: very interested in this one as a long time friend is moving there next month & I plan to visit.

Not too impressed with the housing options although the sea and blooming cherry blossoms were quite pretty.  Not at all surprised they chose the house closest the base in the community full of ex-pats. It will likely make the transition much easier, especially for the kids. 

Yeah those houses were expensive for what they were, none of them renovated, pretty cluttered.

The wife talked up a traditional Japanese style but that second house, whatever they saved on rent would be more than offset going to the orthopedist for their backs, necks and knees.

They were going to rent their house out back in Washington state but it sounded like they planned to stay more than a year.  She was going to get her masters degree and then teach at the military base.

• Like 4

I enjoyed the Yokosuka episode, as it was one of the places I lived as a military kid. We lived in a very old Japanese house, and as kids, loved it. Our mother hated it. 

As soon as I saw the Americanized place closest to the base, I figured that's where they'd end up. It's usually the case for these families with young kids, who are really looking for everyday practicality and convenience over anything, no matter what producers have them say. There's a ton of stuff to do around Yokosuka/Yokohama/Kamakura/Tokyo, and the kids will have amazing experiences. 

I liked the place down on the beach. That would have been a long ride to school on the base for the kids, though. I remember hating how long it took to get to school and back, and how anxious I'd get because I couldn't read the signs to figure out where I was. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 4
12 hours ago, aghst said:

Yeah those houses were expensive for what they were, none of them renovated, pretty cluttered.

The wife talked up a traditional Japanese style but that second house, whatever they saved on rent would be more than offset going to the orthopedist for their backs, necks and knees.

They were going to rent their house out back in Washington state but it sounded like they planned to stay more than a year.  She was going to get her masters degree and then teach at the military base.

None were great but I bet they could have found a better house if they were actually going to spend $4,000 a month.   As usual they have one house that people live in so you know that’s not the one.  
Drives me nuts when someone complains of a generic apartment or house.  That means you can bring your personal items in without clashing.  Score!  

• Like 8

Other than the cherry blossoms in bloom, the whole city looked dreary and lacked "curb appeal."  The beach house was pretty nice, but its surroundings didn't look so good either.  

They were going to rent their house out back in Washington state but it sounded like they planned to stay more than a year.  

I thought that one of them said he might have a 4-5 year contract.  That's a pretty long commitment! 

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Bluesky said:

Drives me nuts when someone complains of a generic apartment or house.  That means you can bring your personal items in without clashing.  Score!  

It annoys me even more when renters complain about the couch clashing with the throw pillows.

"I just couldn't live in a house with orange throw pillows on a purple couch," as though that should be the biggest concern over the correct number of bedrooms or a usable kitchen.

Either stick the throw pillows in a closet or put a queen size fitted sheet of appropriate color over the couch! It really isn't rocket science, and it shouldn't be a deal breaker for deciding where you're going to live.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, eel2178 said:

It annoys me even more when renters complain about the couch clashing with the throw pillows.

Sometimes they complain about the dumbest things!  I don't know why some of them can't figure out that it's rare to get every single item on your wish list! It's all about what you can live with or make do with.  It doesn't always have to be perfect!

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Wife in Japan was so negative, and a bit insulting. When she said something like, 'I don't always express myself well'? I thought-oh you express yourself very well! No one is in doubt when you don't like something.  Don't say you want charm and a house that doesn't look like you're still in America and then complain about how small everything is. Its always going to be smaller. Having said all that, I don't blame them at all for picking the American neighborhood. Just makes sense for a family that doesn't speak the language, etc.

• Like 6
On 7/12/2023 at 9:38 PM, Chit Chat said:

Other than the cherry blossoms in bloom, the whole city looked dreary and lacked "curb appeal."  The beach house was pretty nice, but its surroundings didn't look so good either.  

Yes, the area looked pretty industrial, and I wondered if one would even use that beach for swimming at all. The overcast skies did not help with the appeal of the area.

I liked this couple a lot. I thought they were genuine and open-minded and confident that the kids would be fine. (Surrounding them with kids from the US was an eye-roller, though.) I would've really been impressed if they'd taken the home in the Japanese neighborhood.

Kudos, HHI,  on a new micro plot twist. The couple seemingly dismissed one house, only to double back and ultimately select it. A new dead horse to beat! Can't wait for more fake outs, I'll be surprised each time. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 7/12/2023 at 7:38 PM, Chit Chat said:

Yeah, I couldn't understand them waxing rhapsodic over that beach house, which looked kind of industrial in the sense of being full of businesses. "The kids don't need a yard because they can pay on the beach!" What? "That view is beautiful!" What? "Swimming is my favorite activity, and I can just go right in!" Seriously, WHAT?

I expected them to take the American house in the American neighborhood, and it doesn't bother me that much. The kids will still have a fairly immersive experience,, and being in a neighborhood with their school mates will help the kids make friends AND be convenient for carpooling since they're all going to school on the base. 

• Like 8

I enjoyed the London to Amsterdam episode.  Liked the couple, liked the realtor (don't recall seeing her before-Roz), and liked all 3 options.  Something must be wrong with me as I can't think of anything to nikpik.  Give me time though, I may come up with something.

• Like 3
  • LOL 9
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I enjoyed the London to Amsterdam episode.  Liked the couple, liked the realtor (don't recall seeing her before-Roz), and liked all 3 options.  Something must be wrong with me as I can't think of anything to nikpik.  Give me time though, I may come up with something.

It was a good episode. They both agreed on city center, had the same budget, no disagreements on style, didn't leave us wondering how long till the divorce. I would have choosen the iconic building.

• Like 4

Yeah I wonder how much they will be able to withstand the noise in the one they chose.

On budget and with 2 bedrooms, near all the amenities.  But that means they hear trams and buses late into the night.

No AC apparently if they have to open windows in the summer.

Wow that's crazy, a rent increase of 800 pounds a month.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The couple was okay but it was kinda ridiculous that they thought Amsterdam would be so much cheaper than London.

I only liked the first place.  The second one was too modern for my tastes and the third building fits my definition of ugly monstrosity.

11 hours ago, aghst said:

No AC apparently if they have to open windows in the summer.

A lot of places in Europe don't have AC.  Hell, apparently it isn't all that common in Australia, to judge by HHI.

11 hours ago, aghst said:

Yeah I wonder how much they will be able to withstand the noise in the one they chose.

You get used to it.  I grew up in a house whose yard backed up to train tracks, had an apartment near a main road at the intersection where ambulances always turned to go to the hospital and now live in a house near a main road AND train tracks.  So the idea of hearing trams and buses while trying to sleep seems like no big deal to me.  Certainly not enough to justify spending so much more on one of the other apartments.  Plus, there are always earplugs. 

• Like 4

First time I was in Rome, I heard cars and mopeds rattle through those cobble stone streets, all damn night.

I had to ask to move to a room away from the street.

Yes it's possible to get used to noise, since people fall asleep watching TV or being near other sources of sound.

Maybe they're used to it from London.

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The couple was okay but it was kinda ridiculous that they thought Amsterdam would be so much cheaper than London.

I only liked the first place.  The second one was too modern for my tastes and the third building fits my definition of ugly monstrosity.

A lot of places in Europe don't have AC.  Hell, apparently it isn't all that common in Australia, to judge by HHI.

You get used to it.  I grew up in a house whose yard backed up to train tracks, had an apartment near a main road at the intersection where ambulances always turned to go to the hospital and now live in a house near a main road AND train tracks.  So the idea of hearing trams and buses while trying to sleep seems like no big deal to me.  Plus, there are always earplugs. 

Stunned at the number of people I know who sleep with a white noise machine/ phone app/fan. That would help with outside noises. I liked them too, and also thought Amsterdam wouldn't be cheap. They picked the right one. Only redeeming feature in #3 was outdoor space overlooking water. 

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Stunned at the number of people I know who sleep with a white noise machine/ phone app/fan. That would help with outside noises. I liked them too, and also thought Amsterdam wouldn't be cheap. They picked the right one. Only redeeming feature in #3 was outdoor space overlooking water. 

Or they could get a CPAP machine.  That definitely drowns out the outdoor noises. 😒

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Or they could get a CPAP machine.  That definitely drowns out the outdoor noises. 😒

but that goes over your nose, right?  the noise machine just needs to be close enough to handle the sound

2 hours ago, cinsays said:

but that goes over your nose, right?  the noise machine just needs to be close enough to handle the sound

The mask goes over your nose and mouth and rushing air is piped down your throat. CPAP is very loud for the person wearing it. Believe me, you don't need anything else to block out noise.

I had a white noise machine once and it worked great. Now I use a fan. 

That couple was nice and easy. But it still confounds me how these people are portrayed as moving to new countries having done no research on conditions and prices there.  "Hong Kong sounded nice. Had no idea it was expensive!"  Right.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

But it still confounds me how these people are portrayed as moving to new countries having done no research on conditions and prices there.

I guess none of them watches HHI.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
17 hours ago, cinsays said:

Some do.  Mine goes over my nose and mouth due to my sinus issues.  I was overexaggerating the volume for comic effect, but it probably would work as a white noise machine.  Assuming, of course, that one needed it for apnea.  Otherwise just getting ear plugs or a white noise machine would be fine.

• Like 2

PSA— Dreamstation 2 is super quiet, using nasal pillow not mask. (And I loathe Phillips.) So if you need a Cpap, don’t let noise stop you.

Meanwhile, I wish Richard had been in Manchester. That crew would have made his eyes roll right out of his head! That obvious solution was no eureka.

• Like 3

I could not believe that there was so much angst over an extra $100 which would be about $33/month per roommate.  The house they chose just looked so sad to me.  I was surprised that the twins found a willing roommate as she could easily become the odd-person out in arguments.  I was surprised that the rents in Manchester seemed so reasonable.

• Like 9

Which woman ended up sleeping behind a curtain in the living room, I wonder. That had to be hard for them to see the decoy apartment, with three bedrooms, in a better location, when they'd already chosen the other place. 

I didn't find them annoying, though that seemed to be production's theme to play up. It was three individuals, yes, but they all seemed reasonable. 

• Like 6

A bedroom in the living room separated by a curtain will be such a pain when one or more want company that stays too late and you're tired. Plus, no privacy for yourself or your belongings. But it's temporary, and they're so young. I'm an old fart,so there's no way that would work for me. 

• Like 5