Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Amsterdam. Omigod I love this realtor! "Don't be so delicate." When the wife said she could see herself living in Europe and then rattled off her wish list, I'm thinking, no you won't like living in Europe.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Amsterdam. Omigod I love this realtor! "Don't be so delicate." When the wife said she could see herself living in Europe and then rattled off her wish list, I'm thinking, no you won't like living in Europe.

Yikes, not only was she a quintessential ugly American but they had the guts to lie about researching prices. 

• Love 10

Italy: Are we to assume the husband/father is dead? The kid came across as spoiled, but I guess having to listen to his mother tell that story about his miraculous conception to anyone who will listen merits giving him a break. That little doggie was totes adorbs.

• Love 7

I just watched this. She said went to Italy with her husband. The monk took her to the altar and the congregation said a rosary for her. When she returned to the US she was pregnant. Sort of Hilary's story of how she and Bill created Chelsea while on vacation. Not digging the anti-Catholic jibes here.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The Tuscany episode was a head scratcher. No mention of the whereabouts or fate of the father of the miraculous conception. The son who wanted a "cool" room had been living in Italy for 4 years - where was he living?

The son went to Italy for a 3 month soccer program when he was 14, loved it so much, begged her to stay. Said he was living in a boarding school for three years.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Apricale, Italy: stunning location, but did this village look kind of poverty-stricken? OTOH, there was an English realtor there, so maybe it's full of expats. Other than the population (573), there doesn't seem to be any information online about this place (in English). As older folks, these 2 should be worried about medical/emergency access.

The final renovated place was very sterile looking, imo. Also, they didn't even show the big rooftop terrace, which was the best part of the house. 

Also, their house in Holland MI was the very definition of 'McMansion'- hideous. However, the couple themselves seemed nice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Tuscany...interesting episode.  I was also wondering what happened to the father.  The mother/son did seem close; on the surface it looked like a really wonderful relationship.  But when she would start going on about the past, he would make kind-of snide comments about hearing these stories many times before.  Right out there on the teevee.  I was embarrassed for her (even though she was a bit much); and why would he be spending four years in a boarding school in Italy?  Yes, there was soccer involved, I think.  But still.  Yes, he seemed like a typical teenager (how old was he?  Maybe 18?); but really really spoiled.  Didn't they say she had MS?  Stairs could be real problem; but I guess what was on the market was what was on the market.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Apricale, Italy: stunning location, but did this village look kind of poverty-stricken? OTOH, there was an English realtor there, so maybe it's full of expats. Other than the population (573), there doesn't seem to be any information online about this place (in English). As older folks, these 2 should be worried about medical/emergency access.

The final renovated place was very sterile looking, imo. Also, they didn't even show the big rooftop terrace, which was the best part of the house. 

Also, their house in Holland MI was the very definition of 'McMansion'- hideous. However, the couple themselves seemed nice.

I agree. I was disappointed in how glaringly white and modern most of what was shown was. The living room looked like a hotel lobby.

Costa Rica: I caught up on this one with the woman from TX who took her mother with her to house hunt. The mother was a hoot. I loved the comment re: what if you have too many glasses of wine and trip over the incline and fall into the jungle? 😆

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2020 at 5:21 PM, Kemper said:

.  I was embarrassed for her (even though she was a bit much); and why would he be spending four years in a boarding school in Italy?  Yes, there was soccer involved, I think.  But still. 

To be away from his smother? imagine your mom telling everyone in the supermarket about your conception! Guessing here🙄

• LOL 14
On 11/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, Grizzly said:

On 11/3/2020 at 9:18 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Yikes, not only was she a quintessential ugly American but they had the guts to lie about researching prices. 

Yeah Sarah is usually not that cross or snarky but this couple was being unrealistic.  In fact she’s usually chipper, to a fault.

But is she not American herself?   Not very tolerant of newbies.

They made the right choice though.  $300 above their budget.  You can spend that much easily per night in Amsterdam hotels.

• Love 2

I love the realtor in Amsterdamn and I usually think she is dancing around what should be said straight out but she was a bit harsh in this episode. I would have called her out on making such a nasty comment to me like that. I certainly wouldn't want to give her the commission.  The wife had an annoying way of speaking but they weren't nasty to her.  

Someone needs to write a new script for the house hunters. Not many move to another part of their own city without doing research. Who would move across the world having done little or no research? 

• Useful 2

Sorry to post right after last one but the Mom and son in Italy really irritated me. The son was so indulged and rarely could muster a smile on his face. I just can't imagine allowing a 14 year old to live so far away for 4 years just because he wants to do it. Surely, there are soccer schools, or whatever he was there for, closer to home.  Beautiful location but not of fan of the annoying mother and son. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The Italian son lost me when he told the realtor in Italian that his mother "ruined" everything. It was in the captions.

Curious as to what the real story is because sending your 14 year old child to boarding school in Europe because of a soccer program is beyond bizarre. There are incredible soccer training programs in the US if a kid really wants to take it to that level and I suspect that Florida, because of its temperate winters, probably has some.

Honestly I can't see the lure of locating to an isolated village in Italy. The town also seemed to be NOT very friendly to those with mobility issues. Forget the stairs in the apartments - it's all those hills and poorly paved streets. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Spent time once in Bellagio on Lake Como. Watched older women leave their homes carrying a plate, going to a nearby restaurant and returning with a plate of vegetables or something. These were not wealthy women, by any stretch, but they wore a skirt and jacket, carried a handbag and wore chunky heals while maneuvering the cobblestone streets and many stairs. Guess it's what you're used to.

The Whiners of Lucca: Leave Lucca alone and just move to Bikelandia, guy. As for the writer wife, that book will be self-published. Cause you know who only writes when they feel inspired to do so? Amateurs.

Oh look, they took the one that was "over" their budget that matched them exactly. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, buttersister said:

The Whiners of Lucca: Leave Lucca alone and just move to Bikelandia, guy. As for the writer wife, that book will be self-published. Cause you know who only writes when they feel inspired to do so? Amateurs.

Large part of Elizabeth George‘s “Just One Evil Act: A Lynley Novel” was set in Lucca. The walls, the towers, the hills - it’s all there. No need for another book 😁.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Agree their house in the US did not scream adventurous, but the couple themselves were great--the kind of people I love to meet on vacation, so inspiring! I was very curious how many bedrooms they ended up with, etc. The producers of this show make me crazy. I think the true fans hate the fake drama and want the boring details.

This was a great eye candy episode. It's a hill town so it seems isolated, but it's really close to the coast where all the people are. That part of the riviera does not get as much attention as the part near Genoa, not sure why. I thought it was gorgeous and that episode took me straight to Italy. I could practically smell and taste it. I am so glad this season has been Europe focused. Between this and Lorraine Bracco, I am getting my Italy fix.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, copshop said:

I think the true fans hate the fake drama and want the boring details.

The only reason I'm watching is to find out what you can get for your money in different parts of the world. Everything about the people's back stories is superfluous to me.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, buttersister said:

Oh look, they took the one that was "over" their budget that matched them exactly. 

I just started watching the Lucca episode and I'm already rolling my eyes. Sixteen years to process a life-changing experience? Really? Sixteen years?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, eel21788 said:

The only reason I'm watching is to find out what you can get for your money in different parts of the world. Everything about the people's back stories is superfluous to me.

I watch it to see what housing in different parts of the world is like, which is why it irks when they don't show the damn bathrooms.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I don't get the no oven complaints. Can you not use countertop ovens in other countries? I have a good sized Breville countertop oven/toaster etc that I use every day. I hardly ever use my regulars oven. It uses propane and is huge. 

• Love 1
On 11/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, amarante said:

The Italian son lost me when he told the realtor in Italian that his mother "ruined" everything. It was in the captions.

Curious as to what the real story is because sending your 14 year old child to boarding school in Europe because of a soccer program is beyond bizarre. There are incredible soccer training programs in the US if a kid really wants to take it to that level and I suspect that Florida, because of its temperate winters, probably has some.

Honestly I can't see the lure of locating to an isolated village in Italy. The town also seemed to be NOT very friendly to those with mobility issues. Forget the stairs in the apartments - it's all those hills and poorly paved streets. 

Madonna lived in Portugal for awhile  because her son  was in a soccer program.

Maybe as good as the programs are in the US - it's not the same as training in an area where the populace lives and breathes soccer?

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Useful 2

Boston to Paris. Heh, Ryan asked for a temp transfer to Paris and they gave him an unpaid year-long sabbatical. She was worried she’d resent him after awhile? Lmk if anyone sees a report of a guy found at the bottom of the Seine.

Adrian rents places in the Marais. Just putting that here.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Galicia. I could listen to realtor Nick all day! What an interesting part of Spain, a region I didn't know about. Wonder how much the renovation will be.

10 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Another Smother -- this time dragging the best friend, ...excuse me..., child, to Galicia.

I read the comments before watching the episode this morning. I was braced for another "annoying" kid episode. I have to say, though,  I did not mind this mother-daughter pair. I also enjoyed learning a little about the region. I knew the name Galicia, but knew nothing about its Celtic orientation. Interested to learn more.

This would also be another good candidate for a followup episode. Would be nice to see what they do with the place they chose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, TVForever said:

I read the comments before watching the episode this morning. I was braced for another "annoying" kid episode. I have to say, though,  I did not mind this mother-daughter pair. I also enjoyed learning a little about the region. I knew the name Galicia, but knew nothing about its Celtic orientation. Interested to learn more.

This would also be another good candidate for a followup episode. Would be nice to see what they do with the place they chose.

I thought the mother daughter relationship was fine too. I'm an only child. My father worked nights, so growing up it was my mon and me during the week. We were best friends, She was a mom first, but we were very close.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The daughter did not look all that thrilled to me to be following her mother's dream. She kept mentioning wanting to be near town. I thought she would probably rather spend her school breaks hanging out (literally in her case!) with her friends in Detroit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/13/2020 at 7:32 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't get the no oven complaints. Can you not use countertop ovens in other countries? I have a good sized Breville countertop oven/toaster etc that I use every day. I hardly ever use my regulars oven. It uses propane and is huge. 

For the Bologna couple, for example, those kitchens were tiny, and a countertop oven would take up a lot of space.  And for serious cooks, I think they're not big enough to hold even a half-sheet pan.  I have an overhead microwave/convection oven that I'm sure has more capacity than countertop versions, and there are things I don't cook because I don't have the room. 

But speaking of the Bologna couple, only one person has commented on them.  Maybe HGTV is right, that conflict creates interest?  The woman was so agreeable.  Even these teeny tiny kitchens, she said okay, I could make it work, although I'd really like an oven (and sure enough, in the follow-up she was roasting vegetables on a sheet pan).  Minuscule bathroom?  No problem; it's only a year.  The only real issue was a sofabed that has to be deployed every night and has a thin mattress over a rod in the middle of their backs.

FWIW, Mr. Outlier is a car guy and looked up the school the HH's attending, and it's real.  It's an MBA focused on getting a job with Ferrari or McLaren or one of the other big dogs.  If he accomplishes that, and she starts working as a nurse practitioner, they might both be getting their dream careers.  And in the meantime, some lucky Italians have a nurse practitioner as their babysitter. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
missing word
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

The Bologna couple were nice, and I think they chose the best apartment that was $1,400 a month. However, I am so tired of the word "charm".  Why did she have to repeat that word so often?  All you need to do to see the charm is to open the window and look at the beauty of the city.  Enough already!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The only real issue was a sofabed that has to be deployed every night and has a thin mattress over a rod in the middle of their backs.

Ahhhh....that brought back memories of me and my sofabed in my early twenties.  It was fine then, but I couldn't wait until I could afford an apartment with a bedroom.   My back started killing me.  The couple looked young enough so maybe it won't bother them for the year that they'll be there.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Galicia. I could listen to realtor Nick all day! What an interesting part of Spain, a region I didn't know about. Wonder how much the renovation will be.

Me too.  He had a lovely British accent and remined me of Max von Sydow.  Nice man.

• Love 6

Bologna: They were nice but I can't stand it when young people complain about stairs, or a ten minute walk. I could not stay in any of those places for even three nights, though the one with the terrace looked the most livable to me (and looks like it could accommodate a counter top oven). I wonder how they fared for a year, or however long the school school was. 

Does anyone else's DVR cut off the end of HHI, it's so annoying, and I have conflicts that make extending each episode a pain.

If I was producer, we would all now know if her credentials are valid in Italy, but I don't care enough to google it.

• Love 1

From Botson to Granada, Spain. A cultural take we very rarely see on the HH franchise, and one I would love to see more. The storyline was a view of Alhambra for a Muslim family moving to explore the Islamic history of Moorish Spain. The third house had a perfect view but was $100 over budget. I’ve posted about my budget peeve before. No way an engineer and NP would not have a $100 leeway. Glad they focused on each tween having an own bedroom to justify the final choice.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Does this couple looking in Granada know that the Muslims were invaders in Spain? You'd never know it from the way the wife is talking.

People celebrate contributions of invaders all the time from the Romans to Crusaders to colonizers. 

• Love 6

Montpelier, France - Choices were kind of drab but the one they chose was the only one that provided the space they needed.

Family deserves a gap year after what their young son went through.

But this part of France must have been uninspiring to Adrian for her not to do it?  She's done Nice in addition to Paris.  I thought she also did a Bordeaux episode as well?

They've have a few episodes in the Languedoc but Adrian didn't do those.

Besides Nice and Paris, you'd think they'd have some more in Provence.

• Love 3