Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

I liked the realtor.  Also, he was much easier on the eyes than Richard. 

I agree. I am not a Richard fan as so many other are. All I can think of is food crumbs in that big beard.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I did appreciate that this realtor kvetched a little about what pains they were being.

bedroom in the living room separated by a curtain 

We did that in a large house in college. Lots of rooms, but more people. Men and women. But we were alll friends. 

• Like 6

I got a kick out of the realtor throwing in a bit of Cockney rhyming slang, “apples and pears, stairs. I missed seeing exactly how much living space they had after using a large chunk of it as a third bedroom.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

I didn't quite get the whole situation with the threesome. Only one had a job?  Yet they were eating out all over the place and kept talking about shopping.  

As always, there has to be more to the story.

I suppose HHI may have paid for their wines when they filmed them at tables.  They'd also have to arrange with the pub to let them film there.

Does Manchester have a lot of places with tables outdoors or maybe they set one up for filming.

Yeah going to grad school, no job but they mention shopping a couple of times.

Still you'd think the paltry "closets" in that dream home wouldn't be enough for any kind of wardrobe, even for guys.

• Like 2

I noticed in the reveal of the Manchester episode that the bright green wall was still in one of the bedrooms, even though the realtor said a coat of paint would take care of hiding it.  I guess it wasn't as awful as the renter said when she went on about it when she saw it.  I don't think this is going to be a long term living arrangement for the trio, with the old saying of "Two's company, three's a crowd" coming to mind.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, laredhead said:

I noticed in the reveal of the Manchester episode that the bright green wall was still in one of the bedrooms, even though the realtor said a coat of paint would take care of hiding it.  I guess it wasn't as awful as the renter said when she went on about it when she saw it.  I don't think this is going to be a long term living arrangement for the trio, with the old saying of "Two's company, three's a crowd" coming to mind.

yeah, i'm thinking the non-twin was going to decide living with these 2 isn't as much fun as she had hoped.  and did we hear what kind of jobs they might be getting? i have my doubts about them.

• Like 8

I was so annoyed at the "budget" twin even though it seems like, like House Hunters, they had already chosen a place. That first apartment was great and I'm sure the not-twin would have kicked in the extra $100 for her own bedroom with the bathroom. 

I looked up the twins (because of course I did) and their LinkedIns show that they went to a junior college in San Diego and then 2 years at a private college (Howard) so I'm sure they've been money-conscious in their education. To be honest, $1500 for 3 bedrooms is way less than they would have paid in San Diego or D.C., so they're probably still being fiscally responsible. I just hated that one twin yammering about $100. You go overseas to experience overseas, not to live in a place you could live in in the U.S. 

• Like 7

I looked at that green wall and thought "somone podcasting, I'll bet." It looks like a greenscreen wall.

That whole situation was really not well explained although the agent was a hoot. One's going to Manchester for a fashion degree?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 7/26/2023 at 12:47 PM, seacliffsal said:

I was surprised that the rents in Manchester seemed so reasonable.

Me, too.  I was thinking the amount of money they wanted to spend wouldn't get you a studio in a really bad part of London.  When I was googling rental properties in Derby out of curiosity, I was blown away by how cheap they were.  I guess I used to looking at places in London or expensive suburbs.

They weren't the most annoying HHers we've seen but I wouldn't want to spend much time around them either.  I definitely couldn't have done that curtain bedroom thing.

• Like 4
On 7/26/2023 at 2:18 PM, Orcinus orca said:

I agree. I am not a Richard fan as so many other are. All I can think of is food crumbs in that big beard.

I like Richard a lot but for his humor not his looks.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:53 AM, aghst said:

Still you'd think the paltry "closets" in that dream home wouldn't be enough for any kind of wardrobe, even for guys.

There are pieces of furniture for that.  I'm used to old houses and they often don't have closets at all so the ones in the 3 bedroom place looked fine to me.

• Like 2
On 7/21/2023 at 9:18 AM, proserpina65 said:

Assuming, of course, that one needed it for apnea.  Otherwise just getting ear plugs or a white noise machine would be fine.

My CPAP machine doesn't make a lot of noise, so it doesn't mask sounds.  I've used a small white-noise machine for years.  The times when we've had a power outage was brutal because I can't sleep with it being quiet!  That still wouldn't be enough to mask the sound of a bus or train going by though.

I liked that apartment the best, just not the location of being next to the busy road.  If they were used to that in London, maybe it hasn't been much of a problem for them.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

The times when we've had a power outage was brutal because I can't sleep with it being quiet! 

I sleep with a fan so I need noise and air. When the electricity goes out I feel like I've been buried alive, it's horrible. So I bought a battery operated fan for emergencies and put that on and it really helped me sleep. Just a thought.

I agree about the twin who was harping on the money. It was 33 dollars (equivalent) a piece. I'm sure they could deal with it. Having the non-twin with the job pay the extra 100 and get the best bedroom with the bathroom was also an easy fix. But there's the storyline that they must follow for the show. I don't think the money fixated twin would have been so obnoxious about it all had it not been for producer instructions on following the storyline.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I watched the young couple who moved to Spain for a year because they had worked so 'hard' for 'so many years' and deserved to be on vacation in Spain for a year. So they sold their nice home (they were lucky to have), quit their good jobs (they were lucky to have) and left all their family and friends and moved to Spain. When time's up and they return to the States I wonder if they will be able to buy a new home and get good jobs again. I hope so. They just sounded so entitled and dumb to me. Also, get off my lawn!

The wife had the worst vocal fry and a face that did a number whenever she heard something that didn't conform to exactly what she wanted and I kept thinking, 'Husband, you're looking down the barrel  of a lifetime of that sound and face!'  I could barely tolerate her for a half hour on TV. He's got to live with her!  I would have been so mad if they didn't take the place that was good for the dog when the price was so little over their 'limit'.

ETA: She kept insisting that she needed three bedrooms. For a married couple neither of whom needed an extra room for an office, and one dog. Her face when shown two bedrooms places was ridiculous. I felt for the agent, she kept trying to explain about inventory, prices, and differences in Spain versus US but Miss Vocal Fry didn't want to hear it. She wanted every single thing she wanted and wasn't understanding about needing to pay for it.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I watched the young couple who moved to Spain for a year because they had worked so 'hard' for 'so many years' and deserved to be on vacation in Spain for a year. So they sold their nice home (they were lucky to have), quit their good jobs (they were lucky to have) and left all their family and friends and moved to Spain. When time's up and they return to the States I wonder if they will be able to buy a new home and get good jobs again. I hope so. They just sounded so entitled and dumb to me. Also, get off my lawn!

The wife had the worst vocal fry and a face that did a number whenever she heard something that didn't conform to exactly what she wanted and I kept thinking, 'Husband, you're looking down the barrel  of a lifetime of that sound and face!'  I could barely tolerate her for a half hour on TV. He's got to live with her!  I would have been so mad if they didn't take the place that was good for the dog when the price was so little over their 'limit'.

ETA: She kept insisting that she needed three bedrooms. For a married couple neither of whom needed an extra room for an office, and one dog. Her face when shown two bedrooms places was ridiculous. I felt for the agent, she kept trying to explain about inventory, prices, and differences in Spain versus US but Miss Vocal Fry didn't want to hear it. She wanted every single thing she wanted and wasn't understanding about needing to pay for it.

yeah, i was feeling bad for him, but guess he loves her.  their sense entitlement was annoying.

• Like 3

Couples sleeping in separate bedrooms is not that uncommon. (We do, and we've been happily married for over 17 years.) It provides better rest if one snores, is restless, or keeps different hours than the other.

What I can never understand is the need for 3+ bedrooms due to "all the family and friends" that are coming. Like, are you now a hotel? Will you be full every night of the year? Sorry, but if I'm providing you a free place to stay in Europe/Asia/Australia/The Moon, you may have to deal with a pull out couch in the office area for a few days.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

Guys in Spain. Justice, the former caregiver isn’t working, just insisting on tons of space, kitchen island, pool and privacy. The money-maker of the couple has other thoughts, which include staying on budget. Of $1,000,000!

Glad he got what he wanted. Glad the much-younger guy finally STFU.

is this site acting up for anyone else? Not just the crappy ad placement, but frequently reloading? Pages jumping? You know, more annoying stuff that has cut way back on my PT use.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
29 minutes ago, buttersister said:

is this site acting up for anyone else? Not just the crappy ad placement, but frequently reloading? Pages jumping? You know, more annoying stuff that has cut way back on my PT use.

I never have any problems but I use DuckDuckGo as my search engine and ever since ads are mostly blocked. Not sure how they do that but it definitely is nice. No Bing or Google for me!  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fell asleep during two guys in Spain. Really hard to discern the age difference between the 2. At first I thought it was 30 years, but working guy was younger than he looked and flamboyant guy was prob older than he looked. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Fell asleep during two guys in Spain. Really hard to discern the age difference between the 2. At first I thought it was 30 years, but working guy was younger than he looked and flamboyant guy was prob older than he looked. 

well, whatever the age difference, i feel bad for the presumed older working guy having to support the other guy's whims.  wonder if they are still together.

• Like 15
10 hours ago, buttersister said:

Guys in Spain. Justice, the former caregiver isn’t working, just insisting on tons of space, kitchen island, pool and privacy. The money-maker of the couple has other thoughts, which include staying on budget. Of $1,000,000!

Glad he got what he wanted. Glad the much-younger guy finally STFU.

Yes, to this site acting up.   I enjoy Primetimer forums, but  I often give up.

• Like 4

Younger guy really nabbed himself a sugar daddy. I wanted to slap him with all of his stupid demands. "Oh, the price shouldn't matter as long as I get what I want!"

11 hours ago, buttersister said:

It's awful on my phone so I only pull it up on my laptop.  Those floating ads are insane.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

That younger guy was so annoying, “I want, I want, I want!”

That second house was very weird with no privacy for either bathroom. The one bathroom was right in the bedroom (!) and the other one was sandwiched between the main bedroom and the third bedroom with no doors. And I have never seen such a ginormous hot tub in a private home. Definitely not a pool. 

I'm sorry, Justice, but happiness is not measured in square footage. 

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

I'm sorry, Justice, but happiness is not measured in square footage. 

Apparently it is for him.  Needed space for the gigantic parties they would throw for their crowds of friends.  Didn't they just move there and know no one?  

Maybe they make friends more easily than I do....

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

Garaff Coast, Spain:  With everyone on Justice, the former caretaker. Awfully demanding for a kept man. Is caretaker code for CNA or LPN?  Guarantee that he has little interest in finding a job.

In any, I loved the house they chose and found myself screaming at the older gentleman not to marry the gold digger. 

• Like 9

Indeed those two were an absolute caricature of the Sugar Daddy  / Sugar Baby phenomenon.  Hated the kid, and hoped the older guy would wise up, or at least scowl at him once or twice.  

You do wonder if production told him to play up the "I want it, you got to buy it" scenario.  Not my business but I wonder what Sugar Daddy's family thinks of the kid.   The behavior was so extreme, really, that I lost track of  the houses from thinking about the relationship.  

Edited by Chippings
typo
  • Like 11
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Apparently it is for him.  Needed space for the gigantic parties they would throw for their crowds of friends.  Didn't they just move there and know no one?  

Maybe they make friends more easily than I do....

Well, they did show them at the end sitting with three (or two?) people, so I guess the producers rounded up some folks, LOL.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I have never seen such a ginormous hot tub in a private home. Definitely not a pool. 

I think it was one of those "endless" pools that have a current you can swim against, so it feels as though you're swimming laps when you're actually stationary. 

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I think it was one of those "endless" pools that have a current you can swim against, so it feels as though you're swimming laps when you're actually stationary. 

I saw water jets. It was basically a hot tub.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Considering they had probably been in Spain for a while when the show was filmed, they very well could have made friends.

Sitges is a great gay hotspot, so if you don't mind the heat, and can afford it, seems like a nice place to end up. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

I enjoy Primetimer forums, but  I often give up.

Browser Duck Duck Go is tons cleaner than Safari was for me.  Thanks to Andyourlittledog2, I no longer want to throw my iPad out the window—or quit the site. Try it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, buttersister said:

Browser Duck Duck Go is tons cleaner than Safari was for me.  Thanks to Andyourlittledog2, I no longer want to throw my iPad out the window—or quit the site. Try it.

Sigh, changing browsers would require me to remember my login and password.

• LOL 6
On 8/2/2023 at 10:43 AM, Orcinus orca said:

"Oh, the price shouldn't matter as long as I get what I want!"

He wasn't worried about the practicalities of owning a much larger home, i.e., how much more to heat & cool; cost to furnish huge house, etc.  I hated that bigger house.  The bedroom with the toilet & shower out in the open?  No thanks!

I'm glad that the older guy pointed out how stressful it was going to be for him to pay for the more expensive home.  The young guy's immaturity was showing.  Sometimes it's not about what you want, but about what you can comfortably afford.  Even if the inside of the 1800 sq. ft home (which is big to me) is too small for your parties of thousands(!), they've got the outdoor space, so quit whining and appreciate what a beautiful place it is!! 

Don't these people who move abroad ever think that even if they buy or rent a house/apartment, that they can consider moving in the future if it ends up not meeting their needs?  It's not like it has to be a forever purchase!  

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Sigh, changing browsers would require me to remember my login and password.

I use Opera, which is also a very neat and tidy browser.  It also has a great ad blocker.  I have it on my tool bar, and I never have to sign in.  I have used it for years with no problems. (I also do not like Safari.  Too much "stuff" on the screen.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

The constant emphasis on ‘parties’ made me think-they probably have an open relationship. They mentioned a wedding ceremony at the house. Hope Sugar Baby was just amping  it up for tv, and won’t leave that man when he finds richer. 

Edited by Pi237
  • Like 4

Oklahoma to Gloucestershire, England.

Military family with two young children moving near a base there.

Wife wants modern and be near town to make friends, husband wants big garden and English charm.

House 1 was way over budget and far from town, with 3 acres backyard, over the $3000 budget at $3500.

House 2 was near town, bit dated, had the right sized yard for the hubby, not modern, not open plan (another requirement of the wife) but under budget at $2400.

House 3 was residential, on a cut de sac, smaller home with too small a garden for the husband but on budget at $3000.

They eliminate House 1, so much for the big yard.

They choose House 2.  Until they learned of that budget, they didn't even mention having extra money to travel Europe.  Sound like another HHI trope.

Husband didn't like that the homes were too close in House 3, even though that might make it easier for their young children to make friends.

House 1 had a well which the young realtor Winnie explained was how often they built homes around existing wells.

Then the husband says "Wow!" when he saw the giant backyard or "garden" that he wanted.  Like he was going to mow all that grass perpetually.

But Winnie's "well" and husband house hunter's "wow" sounded exactly the same.

That's how exaggerated Winnie's accent was.

I'm actually going to visit The Cotswolds next month, staying at a village near Gloucestershire.  Going to have to be prepared for the accents and driving on the left side.

• Like 6
32 minutes ago, aghst said:

Husband didn't like that the homes were too close in House 3, even though that might make it easier for their young children to make friends.

Why sacrifice for your kids while taking them away from their friends and familiarity?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Why sacrifice for your kids while taking them away from their friends and familiarity?

Eh, they'll meet other kids in school and house 2 was near town.  Plus there'll be plenty of other military kids on the base.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, aghst said:

But Winnie's "well" and husband house hunter's "wow" sounded exactly the same.

I had to rewind and turn the CC on because I was wondering what the heck a "wow" was.

I thought the husband's need for a large garden, which he would undoubtedly be responsible for keeping nowed, was stupid.  The wife, who probably had a better understanding of her children's needs, was more concerned with the front of the house, where the kids would meet other kids. I thought he was just trying to relive his life through his kids, and no one cared about his old life but him. And maybe House Hunters, if it was they who put him up to this stupid demand.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, aghst said:

The wife assumed there were other children in that neighborhood.  I wonder if she actually saw any while touring the area.

1 hour ago, mojito said:

I thought the husband's need for a large garden, which he would undoubtedly be responsible for keeping nowed, was stupid. 

I wondered about that.  I liked the house they chose, but the backyard appeared to be all grass.  He's going to need a tiller in order to start a garden.  That's a lot of work plowing up the grass to cultivate an area for a garden.  It's nice that the kids have a backyard to play in though.  He has room for a garden, but it's going to take a bit of prep work to make it happen.  He might want to stick to container gardening.  :)

On a funny note, Mr. Chat tills up a small area in our backyard for a garden each year.  The first time he got the soil turned over and ready to plant, my cats thought it was a big sandbox for them.  It's been appropriately named The Poo Patch.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The children seemed to enjoy the fish and chips and also said they liked English parks more than the ones back in the US.

Maybe in Oklahoma, parks aren't all that.

But then English parks may have water fowls and other wild life.

• Like 6