Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Whenever they ask if the furniture stays, especially if it’s brand new, it’s so obvious that’s already their house lol  These two were like sisters from another mister. They really jelled. 

Thing is, if this HH had already chosen this house and was living in it, she did a good job of being surprised, complaining about the exterior and the meat hook.

Or pretending to be surprised about how nice the bathroom was.

14 hours ago, Pi237 said:

These two were like sisters from another mister. They really jelled. 

I generally like Adrian, but where does she get off telling the HH, "Eh, it's just money" when she shows her a house that's $70,000 over a $180,000 budget? 

Also, she said there's a housing shortage in Epernay because of the exodus from the cities, but the cities we see all have housing shortages too. 

14 hours ago, Pi237 said:

The bachelor pad was a hoot. Astroturf in the bathroom? That’s a first. 

Next time a HH is horrified that there's a bathroom next to the kitchen, the realtor should reply, "At least it has a door." 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
15 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I generally like Adrian, but where does she get off telling the HH, "Eh, it's just money" when she shows her a house that's $70,000 over a $180,000 budget? 

yeah, that plus having to rebuild a kitchen.... 

i'm not particularly fond of adrian and this just adds to my dislike

• Sad 1

I did like Adrian saying no initially to yoga.  She probably went along with it to take a short shot of them doing it for the show.

Also, she can stop over-using the adjective "fabulous."

Sex and the City is now over a decade ago?

• Like 2

Sunshine Coast, Australia.  Willow seemed quite, um, excited about looking at houses. That backpack must not have had room for any bras. Not sure about having the bathroom in a separate building. Those middle of the night trips negotiating stairs and watching for creepy crawlies would certainly wake you up.

• Like 7
  • LOL 5
5 hours ago, twoods said:

If I had to hear them say “sustainable lifestyle” one more time, I was going to scream. I thought the third place was gorgeous.

The 3rd place WAS gorgeous.  But did anyone else wonder what the realtor may have meant when she said that their roommate would be gone most of the time?  Would that mean from 9 to 5?  Orrrrrr does it mean that she’s gone 3 weeks per month, and would like the HHs to spend 1200 dollars per month for the pleasure of being responsible for her adorable pup?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, buttersister said:

Oh hell no.

Sustainable in some ways maybe, but not in the daily living way. Maybe they have some sort of eco chamber pot in the bedroom?

I’d have to paint every surface of the bathroom building the brightest shade of white available.  Hopefully, that would discourage snakes and spiders from setting up shop, and help to reveal their murderous selves should they wander in anyway.  I love my spiders and snakes here in coastal Georgia, but I’d be on constant alert in Australia.

• Like 5

Visited Noosa in November.  Very popular, high cost area.

in fact even parking is prohibitive in the main drag near the beach.  Also crowded, hard to find parking mid day.

So if they commute for part time jobs, parking could eat up their earnings unless they’re in a different area.

maybe the place in town didn’t have a parking spot for them or maybe they don’t even have a car, the one in the episode was just for show.

if they’re taking the bus, who knows how often they run to the Hinterlands.

I can see the appeal of the place they chose, with space and privacy, not too far from town.  Also saving some money.

how do they go directly from her graduating to them both getting jobs though?  Work visas aren’t instant, certainly not for restaurant jobs.

• Useful 2

After stating, "You'll be fine," when the HH asked about the Huntsman spider and snakes in the bathroom, the agent follows up with, "I'll wait here," as they go down to the bathroom. 

When the rubber met the road, the woman HH didn't mind chucking sustainability for more luxurious living. They could do sustainability in other ways, she reasoned. Like separating the trash from the recyclables, maybe? I didn't really buy that roommate tale anyway. 

I was surprised that they found anything at all for $1200, so good for them. I was also surprised at how much less stringent immigration to Australia was to what I thought. Of course, I don't know what the restrictions are on their visas. 

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, mojito said:

I was also surprised at how much less stringent immigration to Australia was to what I thought.

My husband and I called BS on that. As far as we know, Australia only lets people in who have job skills they need. I doubt that includes eco-scientists.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, mojito said:

I didn't really buy that roommate tale anyway.

The trampoline in the back yard of a single adult woman who spends most of her time at work and lives alone except for roommates made me wonder.

8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband and I called BS on that. As far as we know, Australia only lets people in who have job skills they need. I doubt that includes eco-scientists.

At the end, didn't they show her working at the cafe? 

4 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

At the end, didn't they show her working at the cafe? 

I doubt cafe workers are a needed job skill.  We have a friend who fell in love with a woman in New Zealand, and after 6 months they kicked him out of the country because he didn't qualify for any reason to stay. I think Australia is similar. When I was there many years ago, the ability to emigrate came up in conversation.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When I was there many years ago, the ability to emigrate came up in conversation.

I remember when American teachers were moving to Australia to work.  I had to fact check my memory:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/american-teachers-in-australian-classrooms-during-the-1970s/10589850

Some of them even got a bonus.  About 30 years ago, my daughter had a babysitter from Australia, who came here with her American husband.  They married when she was a teenager, and he had been her teacher.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3

I rarely care enough to research anything on these shows, but this had me curious. So I found this

In summary:

1. Australia has a shortage of skilled waiters or waitresses.
  2. Australia is looking to fill these shortages with workers recruited from overseas.
  3. You can obtain a visa to live and work in Australia as a waiter or waitress.
  4. You can apply for a waiter or waitress job during or even before you apply for a visa to live and work in Australia.

Live and loin.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 6

DC to Costa Rica.  She wanted a B&B near the beach but with a communal space.

She chose the project instead of a Turkey option.  It was the only one under her desired budget of $200k but not by much, the renovations she talked about would push it way over.

3 months later, she hadn’t started, not even had plans.  She was talking about how she had adjusted to life in CR.

Her friend and the realtor pointed out that the turnkey would allow her to make money immediately but she said money isn’t her main priority.

Turns out she had flipped a lot of homes when not working as a lawyer.  Looked like she renovated to her vision and probably profited.  Made me wonder if that was her goal in, to renovate, get the business going, then cash out.

So is she really living in CR full time?  Says she’s quit her job with a Fortune 300 co and presumably renovation in CR would demand a lot more of her time.

Interesting thing in this ep is a new agent instead of Sarah who has done a lot if not all eps in CR.  The location was on THE Caribbean, as opposed to the Pacific coast.

So maybe lack of familiarity with that market or it’s not easy to get out to this area.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, aghst said:

DC to Costa Rica.  She wanted a B&B near the beach but with a communal space.

She chose the project instead of a Turkey option.  

Gotta admit I'd chose a project over a Turkey option too.... Though maybe not a turkey option. 🦃 😉

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

DC to Costa Rica

I was confused by the HH's gameplan. Her main requirement seemed to be communal space, but I didn't get why. I guess I think of a B&B as including breakfast, and she didn't at all seem concerned with kitchen space or layout for guests to sit and eat, communally. Maybe she just wanted to renovate some places and be a landlord.

Edited by mojito
  • Like 4

I am wondering how hard it is to get licensed as a US doctor in Australia. The Mackay houses were cute, but the wife annoyed me because a house close to the hospital is important for her husband and his job, but she was so obsessed about being close to the ocean. 
At least they picked the most practical house in the end.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I liked the Mackay AU buyers. She was lovely, though I do wonder if she's dyspraxic. 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

If that's the case, I'll have to take back the snarky things I said about her.

I thought she was so much fun. I want to be her best friend. I really don't think she had any kind of disability or medical condition. I think she was just admitting she is clumsy. 

Favorite comment (paraphrased): It's a good thing I didn't stub my toe. I wouldn't want the viewers to be subjected to that kind of drama.

That being said, I think they made the wrong choice. I would have gone for the 3rd house (Look! Cows! It is a little strange for an American to be getting that excited over cows. 'Roos I could understand, but cows?) Between the price, the size, the furnishings and it being a new build, it really was the best deal. I would think with a little practice and a lot of emotional support, she could learn to drive the 5 minutes to and from the grocery store. I was also surprised by an American complaining about a 30 minute commute to work.   

• Like 4
17 hours ago, twoods said:

I am wondering how hard it is to get licensed as a US doctor in Australia. 

He said she had been the sole breadwinner up until now while he was in school. That gave me the impression he had just finished medical school and was entering a residency program. US residencies accept people from foreign medical schools, so I would think Australia would do the same. It may be difficult, however, for him to come back to the states to set up a practice without redoing a residency in the US, although that didn't seem to be their goal.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
34 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I thought she was so much fun. I want to be her best friend. I really don't think she had any kind of disability or medical condition. I think she was just admitting she is clumsy. 

Favorite comment (paraphrased): It's a good thing I didn't stub my toe. I wouldn't want the viewers to be subjected to that kind of drama.

That being said, I think they made the wrong choice. I would have gone for the 3rd house (Look! Cows! It is a little strange for an American to be getting that excited over cows. 'Roos I could understand, but cows?) Between the price, the size, the furnishings and it being a new build, it really was the best deal. I would think with a little practice and a lot of emotional support, she could learn to drive the 5 minutes to and from the grocery store. I was also surprised by an American complaining about a 30 minute commute to work.   

A 30 minute commute when you’re a sleep deprived resident (or doctor) is a big deal. I would freak out driving on the freeway after being awake for 30+ hours because I was so exhausted and afraid I would get into an accident. They made the right decision picking a place close to his hospital. After he’s done with residency they can move further away if they wanted to.

• Like 10
7 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Look! Cows! It is a little strange for an American to be getting that excited over cows...

They are both from suburban New Jersey and even though there are lots of dairy cows in Jersey, they are probably from a much more densely populated part of NJ and would not see cows.

I'll never forget visiting my son in Austin and while en route to some location outside of the city, saw some Texas long horned steers. I got so excited that I made my husband pull off to the side of the road. Living < an hour from NYC, we don't get to see steers, much less those beauties!

I guess the one they chose best met their needs, but it was pretty ugly. I loved the new build.

Edited by ECM1231
  • LOL 3

Ashley may have played up the beach and water views thing.  The first property which they eliminated right away was right across the street from the water.  You could see it but not for walking on because of all the vegetation instead of sand.

Maybe also not a dealbreaker to have separate bathrooms.

The third property was the nicest but it was rural — cows! — so she couldn’t walk to cafes and stores.

Small city but as speculated, they may only be there a year or two.

• Like 5
On 2/26/2023 at 10:46 PM, twoods said:

I am wondering how hard it is to get licensed as a US doctor in Australia. The Mackay houses were cute, but the wife annoyed me because a house close to the hospital is important for her husband and his job, but she was so obsessed about being close to the ocean. 
At least they picked the most practical house in the end.

I wanted to stab myself in both ear drums every time she said that.  She was so fucking annoying.  No, you didn't move to Mackay to be at the beach.  You moved there for your husband's job.  I get it, I'd want to live as close to the beach as possible, but seriously, shut the fuck up about it.

22 hours ago, eel21788 said:

hat being said, I think they made the wrong choice.

That third house was completely impractical.  It wasn't near his work or stores.  They would've needed another car unless she wanted to stay home all day while he was working.  They chose the right place in the end.  The third one was impractical and the first one was too expensive.

• Like 7
On 2/27/2023 at 3:56 PM, eel21788 said:

Her clear fluster when trying to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and the clumsiness spell dyspraxia to this educational psychologist. But that's just based on this obviously small, edited sample. If so there are things she could do to make her and her hubby's lives easier. And safer, though he is a doctor and they're right down the street from an A&E lol. 

• Like 1

London. I thought Laura would be the pickier of the two. But she was very positive about the first place. Rob was seeing all the flaws. I love that she's thinking about Percy's comfort. Wow, and she did a 180 for #2. How silly of Richard to expect someone from LA to walk for 20 minutes. #3 seemed like a pipe dream, unless their budget is really that high. Common sense reigns.

• Like 3
(edited)

Oh yeah, Rob was the picky one (or played him on TV). He reminded me of someone (actor, maybe?) but I couldn't place who. But he was spot on about salt and vinegar, so points there.

ETA: Also, $5 says he works in marketing as an art director. So picky about details is a feature not a bug.

Anyway, as Richard put it, they'd wine and dine their way to happiness in Hackney.

Wonder if they pay the electric bill for that heated floor?

Or whatever utility is used to heat the floor.

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 4

They picked the cheaper one, #1.  It was between #1 and #3.

If they married, he could have gotten a green card.  I thought he said they both loved LA and would have remained if not for his visa situation.

Both cities have very expensive real estate so not sure which would be a better real estate investment.  Maybe they believe that he will have better job opportunities in London.

That cat must be old if she had him before she went to college and only got him back afterwards?  Yet she had to take him to London.

Interesting that he was willing to give her the over budget place but she said they should go for the cheaper place.  Never recall both house hunters willing to let the other have their first choice, unless it was a setup.

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, aghst said:

Interesting that he was willing to give her the over budget place but she said they should go for the cheaper place.  Never recall both house hunters willing to let the other have their first choice, unless it was a setup.

Well, all of these shows are setups since the househunters don't even apply to be on the show until after they've found a place to live.  So, the cheapskate partner can magnanimously offer to suck it up and take the higher priced place that the other partner wants when none of it is true anyway and the higher priced place was never in contention.

• Like 10

Austin to Maastricht.

That robot contraption led them to choose the house with one bathroom because it had a big shop space.

I forget whether it was over budget or where it was relative to the center but #1, the new 4 BR/4 BA looked like a nicer home.

Guess he really didn’t want to stop performing.   Can’t tell if the wife was accommodating her husband or also preferred the older 3 BR/1 BA place as well.

• Like 7

I don’t know which was more annoying, Nigel and his 5th Avenue whine or the fact that my closed captioning insisted on spelling “quiet,” as “quite.” 

I know that I’m old, but I do not understand “content” as he describes it. Am I supposed to be tuning in somewhere to see videos of him and his family in Mexico? I have absolutely no interest in that. Are there people who do? And if so, how does he make any money out of it?  From what little I saw, (Here we are walking down the street!) he should have stayed with the CDC. 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

I don’t know which was more annoying, Nigel and his 5th Avenue whine or the fact that my closed captioning insisted on spelling “quiet,” as “quite.” 

I know that I’m old, but I do not understand “content” as he describes it. Am I supposed to be tuning in somewhere to see videos of him and his family in Mexico? I have absolutely no interest in that. Are there people who do? And if so, how does he make any money out of it?  From what little I saw, (Here we are walking down the street!) he should have stayed with the CDC. 

Lord save us all from 'content creators'!  I really do not understand how there can be so many people out there making a living at this sort of work.  They had a decent housing budget, the wife was apparently going to be a SAHM; he must be making enough money from it.

I also do not understand all these people traveling to Mexico and other places, living in the tourist districts where 90% of the people are foreign visitors and virtually all of the businesses are set up to serve them and then claiming that they want to show the world the 'authentic' story of the place. There is an authentic Mexico, but it is not on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen.  That there are apparently dozens of people all hanging out in the central tourist district, tripping over each other filming the same stuff is kind of mind boggling.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

The Playa del Carmen seems familiar, with the guy talking endlessly about 5th Avenue.

Swear it's a repeat.

There have been a lot of episodes aired as new this week but occasionally they mislabel a repeat as a new episode.

• Like 1

I follow a couple of content providers (in Italy and on Svalbard) for their unique POV of everyday life. Nigel, otoh, doesn't show up during a cursory scroll through the 100+ Playa videos on YouTube (assuming that's where he uploads). LOL. Was there a backup plan for working remotely for the CDC?

Also, the whining was overpowering, considering #2 was 2 blocks off that tourist-packed street. But I wasn't worrying, it was clear the wife/mom was going to get her choice (and was, no doubt, his, too).

• Like 3
On 3/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, aghst said:

They picked the cheaper one, #1.  It was between #1 and #3.

If they married, he could have gotten a green card.  I thought he said they both loved LA and would have remained if not for his visa situation.

Both cities have very expensive real estate so not sure which would be a better real estate investment.  Maybe they believe that he will have better job opportunities in London.

That cat must be old if she had him before she went to college and only got him back afterwards?  Yet she had to take him to London.

Who knows where they will ultimately settle. I think she was very excited by being able to live in London. Who wouldn’t be as it is a completely different experience than merely visiting Europe.

I am nit sure you get a visa immediately on marriage so it might have involved a lot of bureaucracy. It would probably be easier to marry in London if they truly wanted to be married and then decide where they wanted to settle.

It didn’t appear that family was a factor for her as she wasn’t native to Los Angeles. Sometimes the HHI really need to make the painful decision regarding where they are going to raise their family and which spouse’s family they will live proximate to.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

And if so, how does he make any money out of it?

They make money off ads and if they have enough followers, they can get sponsors. They can also have paying subscribers, too. 

I read that roughly one third of one percent of YouTubers are able to support themselves. I've seen estimates of people making $5 for every 1000 viewers their videos attract. At that rate, you would feel compelled to produced two or three videos per week and hope they do well. I would guess that with scripting, shooting, and editing (cutting and arranging the video plus acquiring stock footage and music that you have to pay for), you're lucky if you only spend 20 hours per video. It would take me longer than that to produce a 10-minute video, but I don't do it for a living.

My guess is that there are so many YouTubers in Mexico shooting videos of their life there because they couldn't afford to do the same thing back home in Peoria. And most will have to quit or find a full-time job because there's a lot of competition for viewers and for affordable Mexican rentals. 

Unless you bring more to the table than showing off your fabulous life, I just don't think you stand much of a chance of making money. I think the money makers are people who have useful or interesting or humorous information or skills to share. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 5
On 2/6/2023 at 4:17 PM, amarante said:

There has got to be more back story to most of these as some just don't make sense as any kind of rational move.

Couple moving from a cold state in the US (maybe Idaho?) to Costa Rica - but not the popular coast line but a theoretically less discovered part in the center of the country.

He was a contractor who had recently been fired. She worked in a fertility clinic. They had two children who appeared to be early teens or tweens. 

He said he was currently enrolled with an agency which was teaching him some kind of web development - sounds pretty scammy to me as nothing in his past indicated an IT background. She had quit her job - liked the medical field but knew that wouldn't be possible in Costa Rica.

They claimed that they still owned two homes and that rentals on those properties were covering their expenses.

As I recall they were shown a fabulous place - had a pool; a view and lovely inside but it was too expensive at $1200 per month so they opted for something not particularly nice for $1000.

I can't imagine actually moving to a foreign country and having such limited financial resources that $200 per month was make or break. I am not for people being profligate but if my resources were that limited I would stay where was - wife continued to work - husband went back into construction or something related or just any job that someone is able to make money - can't imagine heading off to Costa Rico with two children and no way to make a living. 

Plus out of all the tropical countries in that area that are just as beautiful but much cheaper.  Costa Rico is the most expensive.  Maybe it’s easier to move there?

12 hours ago, aghst said:

The Playa del Carmen seems familiar, with the guy talking endlessly about 5th Avenue.

Swear it's a repeat.

There have been a lot of episodes aired as new this week but occasionally they mislabel a repeat as a new episode.

There’s so many Mexico ones they are repetitive.   It was obvious they chose number two because you could see belongings stuffed in the closets haphazardly.    The third one looked like a short term rental.  

I wonder if they insist on couples mentioning their need for two sink bathrooms just to aggravate viewers.   There’s another bathroom down the hall if you can’t wait!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

So Fifth Avenue guy was on here just to get more subscribers, right?  I found him annoying enough in just the few minutes of this episode, no way I would want to see his content and contribute to his self-righteousness.  Seems a lazy way to make money to me.  Did he say he used to work for the CDC? 

• Like 1

He said he's currently working for the CDC. Yet the narrator said his "new career" would have to pay for his life in Mexico. So it was kind of confusing.

Through his affiliate links, he can sell those matching shirts and shorts outfits and bring in more revenue. So there's a third source of income for this content creator. 

He showed zero interest in the comfort of his own children. Even if he's playing a "role" for HH, why would he allow himself to be depicted the way he was? He makes you feel sorry for his kids and want to knock some sense into his wife. 

• Like 6

Dunedin, NZ: I was happy to see them choose the beach adjacent option because I was getting bad vibes on his ability to compromise throughout the episode. Odd couple but enjoyed seeing that part of the world.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, snarts said:

Odd couple but enjoyed seeing that part of the world.

I got the sense that they paired too hastily.

NZ seems like a great place. Safe and no animals that want to kill you. A better-than-most effort of people of European extraction to preserve the culture of the original inhabitants and to right the many wrongs done to them (just my observation).  But I like some heat with my summers. At least the mid-80s. Eternal early Spring ain't my thing. 

His working hours aren't too bad considering the 3-hour difference between his company in CA and NZ time. So NZ is three hours behind, except that it's tomorrow. Had his company been in New York, that would've been more difficult. Hawaii would've been ideal with its 1-hour difference. 

Sorry, I'm geeking out.

• Like 4