Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, ECM1231 said:

I Googled driving time from her job in Kildare, to Dublin, and it was an hour away. I'm wondering if Kildare is that much sleepier b/c I'd rather not be driving an hour each way to work. I was confused by both the renter and realtor using the term 'overlooked.' It seemed an odd way to express that one could look right into one's neighbor's windows. I agree that choice #2 was probably the best for her. While it's always nice to have a second bath, or even a half bath for guests, how often will she be having visitors from overseas?

Yeah, clearly the parking issue was more important than the second bath.  I can see that.  I wouldn't want to have to find parking when coming home late at night, no matter how much I loved the first place.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, Dehumidifier said:

There was much comment about the tree when the episode first aired and I don't get it. I just googled 9-11 foot trees in Home Depot and they range in price from $122.16 to $2,571.46. They go back into the box after use (don't ask me how.) What is the big deal about shipping one if it cost a lot and/or is well loved?

They go back in the box because the branches fold down.  I imagine the shipping was quite costly, but it's unlikely they shipped it by itself; it was probably just among all the other household goods they shipped to Australia.  It was making it a big part of the storyline I found ridiculous.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, clearly the parking issue was more important than the second bath.  I can see that.  I wouldn't want to have to find parking when coming home late at night, no matter how much I loved the first place.

They go back in the box because the branches fold down.  I imagine the shipping was quite costly, but it's unlikely they shipped it by itself; it was probably just among all the other household goods they shipped to Australia.  It was making it a big part of the storyline I found ridiculous.

I was kid of kidding about that. But I'm sure it's like an umbrella. Once you open it you can never get it as neat and compact as it is before you open it the first time.

I had a neighbor who moved to Europe. Months before a large flat truck with about 10 small containers appeared. Up and down the steps went the guys with her china (which they packed), large wooden trunk full of her ornament collection, small upholstered chair, small etagere, photo albums and whatever personal items she thought she could live without for a few months. I think she filled two or them, maybe three. They went by sea.

Well, it was something different for the storyline.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I was kid of kidding about that. But I'm sure it's like an umbrella. Once you open it you can never get it as neat and compact as it is before you open it the first time.

That is true.  Mine fits back into the box, just barely, but it would be a struggle to seal the box if I had to.

• Love 6
On 4/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, Dehumidifier said:

There was much comment about the tree when the episode first aired and I don't get it. I just googled 9-11 foot trees in Home Depot and they range in price from $122.16 to $2,571.46. They go back into the box after use (don't ask me how.) What is the big deal about shipping one if it cost a lot and/or is well loved?

I think everyone's side-eye was more about basing a house search on the Christmas tree (made-up story line, but we've got to play along with Show). Shipping it probably isn't that big of a deal if it's coming in the container with the rest of the household stuff. But insisting that any house you get MUST have 12 foot ceilings to accommodate it is a bit much.

• Love 5
On 4/9/2022 at 11:22 AM, ECM1231 said:

I Googled driving time from her job in Kildare, to Dublin, and it was an hour away. I'm wondering if Kildare is that much sleepier b/c I'd rather not be driving an hour each way to work. I was confused by both the renter and realtor using the term 'overlooked.' It seemed an odd way to express that one could look right into one's neighbor's windows. I agree that choice #2 was probably the best for her. While it's always nice to have a second bath, or even a half bath for guests, how often will she be having visitors from overseas?

I didn't understand their use of the word "overlooked " either. This made no sense to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

I didn't understand their use of the word "overlooked " either. This made no sense to me.

The other flats were overlooking hers, ie they could view her home from above(ish) as they were so close. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

The other flats were overlooking hers, ie they could view her home from above(ish) as they were so close. 

That was clear to me. It’s just that usually when people say “overlooked,” they mean they didn’t see or pay attention to something.

• Love 5

Edinburgh, Scotland. Harris is adorable and should have his needs met in this house hunt. Had to laugh when Mariah complained that kitchen was old and dreary. Hello, you're in Scotland, most of the country is old and weather can be dreary. I'm starting to see why the relationship didn't work. I would need to climb 3 flights of stairs if I lived above a bakery. There goes all my money.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Edinburgh, Scotland. Harris is adorable and should have his needs met in this house hunt. Had to laugh when Mariah complained that kitchen was old and dreary. Hello, you're in Scotland, most of the country is old and weather can be dreary. I'm starting to see why the relationship didn't work.

Good lord she's exhausting.  The only reason I'm sitting through this is I was considering spending a week in Edinburgh this year. 

"I love to entertain."  I'd kill myself before accepting an invitation from her.

I didn't see the Dublin episode but this sounds similar:

"I want a nice view but want to be on the first floor"

"I want to be near the sites, but not near tourists."

"I want classic charm but modern. But not too modern."

One day I will be on this show and I'm going to have to figure out how to be the biggest asshole they've ever seen.  Lofty goal, I know.

• LOL 22
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, sskrill said:

One day I will be on this show and I'm going to have to figure out how to be the biggest asshole they've ever seen.  Lofty goal, I know.

That's right. Aim high.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
On 4/12/2022 at 11:30 AM, LittleIggy said:

That was clear to me. It’s just that usually when people say “overlooked,” they mean they didn’t see or pay attention to something.

Not those in the UK or Ireland. And I guess she's a "when in Rome" type. 

I'd love to know the real story behind the Edinburgh hunter's move. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 2

What about having her ideals of culture and men formed at age 10 watching a movie?

Based on the actor she fell in love with as a girl, she pursued a student exchange program,, a relationship and now a job based on that movie and actor.

not sure why I visited France and Europe.  There have been some beautiful European actresses I’ve seen in movies but none who particularly come to mind.

doubt it was the movies though.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Edinburgh: I got so tired of hearing her complain, I tuned out at the end. Did Harris the adorable pup get the place with the outdoor space?

She picked the one on the top floor cause the stairs made her ass look good.

3 minutes ago, aghst said:

What about having her ideals of culture and men formed at age 10 watching a movie?

Based on the actor she fell in love with as a girl, she pursued a student exchange program,, a relationship and now a job based on that movie and actor.

Not just her ideals of culture, but her actual personality.  If you delete Scotland she isn't left with much.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 4/12/2022 at 1:45 AM, Grrarrggh said:

I understand that but I never heard it expressed in that way. I've always used it meaning to disregard, neglect, fail to notice, etc. It just sounded weird to me, that's all.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I've heard the term overlooking when referring to properties.

Me too, and even before I heard it used this way I knew I didn't want neighbours overlooking my backyard or my main windows and chose my house and apartments accordingly.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Edinburgh: I got so tired of hearing her complain, I tuned out at the end. Did Harris the adorable pup get the place with the outdoor space?

Harris gets to live over a bakery that gives him doggy treats before they head off to a park.

• Love 4

Scotland: I was a little concerned that the HH kept talking about drinking, being drunk and having to climb stairs when drunk. I have never chosen an apartment based on how it would affect my drinking status. As someone who has lived on the 3rd floor when the elevator was being replaced and was out for nearly four months, I know I would not deliberately choose to live somewhere with no elevator if I had to walk up so many stairs. I would think the place with a garden would be better for Harris. The HH seemed so sad. I wondered if there were actually any friends back in Glasgow or just the ex.  

• Love 5

Berlin. Yes, I spotted Kevin in the open! They want to be in the middle of a city but want space, modern and a balcony with no neighbors. Why don't they ask for garden space too while they're at it? Could they get all that in San Francisco for $1700? That part at the end when she was DJ ing was very sad. Thank goodness this episode had Kevin in it.

• Love 9
On 4/13/2022 at 11:36 PM, MakingBacon said:

Scotland: I was a little concerned that the HH kept talking about drinking, being drunk and having to climb stairs when drunk. I have never chosen an apartment based on how it would affect my drinking status. As someone who has lived on the 3rd floor when the elevator was being replaced and was out for nearly four months, I know I would not deliberately choose to live somewhere with no elevator if I had to walk up so many stairs. I would think the place with a garden would be better for Harris. The HH seemed so sad. I wondered if there were actually any friends back in Glasgow or just the ex.  

I wondered why she moved from Glasgow. If she just broke up with her boyfriend, why would she have to move to Edinburgh? 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I wondered why she moved from Glasgow. If she just broke up with her boyfriend, why would she have to move to Edinburgh? 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Well, seeing as how she wanted to live in Scotland due to her infatuation with Billy Boyd from his role in The Lord of the Rings, and as he lives in Glasgow, maybe he finally got a restraining order...?

• LOL 18

Berlin

The husband claimed that the wife was the determined one, but in this house hunt, I thought she was the flexible one. 

Kevin didn't improve this episode for me. They were yet another pair who, someday, would marvel at how their confidence overrode their ignorance and lack of experience.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojito said:

Berlin

The husband claimed that the wife was the determined one, but in this house hunt, I thought she was the flexible one. 

Kevin didn't improve this episode for me. They were yet another pair who, someday, would marvel at how their confidence overrode their ignorance and lack of experience.

Kevin makes any episode he is in better! ❤️

• Love 5
20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I believe they said she got a job there.

• Love 3

Berlin, both said they took significant pay cuts to move.

So they’re really interested in an international experience, willing to give up outdoor activities that they were used to, expensive hobbies like skiing and snowboarding.

They probably researched the market, figured housing cost was much lower to offset the lower salaries.  

Maybe they planned to do this for a year or two before getting back.  She was joking that he thinks about the next 5 years when shopping for a shirt.

He admits she’s more decisive and let’s her have her way.

Are these kids going to last?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, aghst said:

Berlin, both said they took significant pay cuts to move.

So they’re really interested in an international experience, willing to give up outdoor activities that they were used to, expensive hobbies like skiing and snowboarding.

They probably researched the market, figured housing cost was much lower to offset the lower salaries.  

Maybe they planned to do this for a year or two before getting back.  She was joking that he thinks about the next 5 years when shopping for a shirt.

He admits she’s more decisive and let’s her have her way.

Are these kids going to last?

I hate them both. If only I had the ability to smite them, I would.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Didn't like the Berlin couple, but the guy gets a teeny-tiny point for saying the flat looked like his grandparent's house, not his grandmother's house. 

Still, I'd like to see people cook in smaller kitchens to, if nothing else, learn that they don't need a kitchen the size of Toledo to cook a meal.

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 7

With a 4-burner induction stovetop, I’m hard pressed to recall times I needed more than 2 burners (ha, or whatever they’re called on an induction top). Especially in Europe, where so many apartments and small homes have non-American sized appliances, why do people act surprised when they see them.

• Love 6

My parents had an ancient stove and only 2 of the burners worked during the last 15 years that they lived in that house. For occasional family holiday meals, the work around was to have most things ready in advance to be warmed in the oven or microwave if both burners were in use.

• Love 3
On 4/13/2022 at 7:24 PM, chessiegal said:

I've heard the term overlooking when referring to properties.

Me, too, but like, "This property overlooks the canal."  I'd never heard it in the context of the subject property being the one that is overlooked by other properties, but after this discussion, it makes sense.

And now I'm watching the movie Match Point and the guy is looking at an apartment in London.  The agent is reeling off the features of the apartment and says, "Lovely view, not overlooked." 

• Love 2
On 4/15/2022 at 12:09 AM, LittleIggy said:

Wasn't the job already in Edinburgh?  Which was one hell of a commute when she lived in Glasgow?

Edited to note that it's a little more than an hour by motorway between the two, presumably more if the traffic is bad, and about 45 minutes by train.  Still not a journey I'd want to make on a daily basis, particularly not during the Scottish winter.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Plus, I found Edinburgh a significantly more interesting city than Glasgow. 

GASP!!! Blasphemy! Sorry, my 1st cousin went to uni in Glasgow, fell in love with a Weegie and has lived there ever since. She's also a wee bit psychic and I just know if I hadn't spoken out for Glasgow she'd phone me up complaining. 

I, personally, prefer Dundee but that's just me. (and not because I'm a poet who doesn't know it lol). 

• Love 1

Riviera Maya, Mexico. I actually said Wow out loud when I saw the size of the kitchen counter at house #1. That rooftop area at house #2 was perfect for entertaining. How often do you go to shops and restaurants versus going to the beach? The realtor was pretty cute.

• Love 4

Riviera Maya - 4 bedrooms she didn't want but realtor said it wouldn't be expensive to hire someone to take care of the pool and yard.

No concerns about electricity bills once they learn they have solar.

That long pool in property #2 looked interesting but maybe not so enticing.  What do you do at a swim up restaurant, dine while in waist deep water or something?  Fine for drinks but for food?

Is that old folk wisdom about not going swimming after eating true?

Sounds like as insurance brokers, they have a lot of clients so they're collecting commissions and they really don't have to try to find more clients.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Is that old folk wisdom about not going swimming after eating true?

I'd always heard you don't do it because you'll get cramps, and didn't really understand it.  Food in your stomach combined with dogpaddling will cause you to double over and sink? 

But a few years ago, I ran across an explanation.  It's because [in my layman's interpretation, anyway] when you eat, your blood goes to your stomach to help digest your food, leaving less blood for other muscles, which could make the other muscles more liable to cramp.  It's not a big deal if you're dancing or running or fencing, because you can just drop to the ground when your calf cramps up bad enough.  But if you're in deep water, that cramp could prevent you from floating and you could drown.

Which now that I think about it means it's probably okay to play around in the 3-foot water, because you can just hop to the edge of the pool if a limb cramps up.  But distinctions like that are usually lost on kids, so you just tell them you can't go into the pool for an hour or whatever.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

But on recent years that whole thing has been debunked. Apparently you can go swimming as soon as you want after eating. 

It bothers me when people complain that having 4 bedrooms/bathrooms means more maintenance. Close the doors of the rooms you aren’t using. Only open the ones you need to give them a quick dust before the guests arrive. Afterwards set them up with clean sheets etc and close the doors again.

Though  of course if she meant that vast living room, I can see her point in that it is a large floor to wash. But it’s always preferable to have both husband and wife participate in keeping a house clean. 

• Love 5