Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I think Australia to Paris mom was having a midlife crisis.  She mentioned a couple of times that she never left Melbourne until she was 40+. And the time she left,  they went to Paris.  She also mentioned something along the lines of "missing out".  So in my story,  I think her husband told her to go out and experience the life she thinks she missed out on,  and when she's fulfilled,  she can return home to Australia/her family. 

That was my thought too. He must love her very much to spend $575,000+ to let her sow her wild oats. That Skype call at the end was so sad. The wife was so obviously happy to be on her own, and the husband just seemed lost. 

She mentioned earlier that she taught English. Maybe she got a job with Erich (I think it was -- the 40-year-old who wanted to live in Paris while he could still enjoy it).

On 7/20/2016 at 8:42 PM, izabella said:

I made up my own story about the Australia to Paris family.  In my story, the daughter will be going to school in Paris, and the apartment is for her, with the family coming to visit (but probably not all at once).  Maybe when the other kids get older, they'd want to spend summers there, too. 

The daughter didn't seem into it. She kept saying how she had to be the voice of her father and try and keep her mother in check (which she didn't do). If the apartment was for her, why not just say that? We've seen students before "buying" their own place when they go to school overseas. 

I think the midlife crisis is probably closer to the truth. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, Albino said:

I agree.  Plus...if you want a getaway or vacation home, flying from Australia to Paris isn't exactly a hop, skip and a jump.

I was also amazed at how cheap homes were in Paris.  Any of those shown would be well over a million in NYC or San Francisco.

Noticed same WRT the RE prices.  Given the standard HH/HHI editing period, the sale closed 6+ months ago.

Haven't done any research but IIRC 2015's 4th quarter was the Euro's most volatile period over the last year.  So, the lower prices may reflect both currency flight (from the Euro to $$$) and possibly some human flight, i.e. lowered demand, as a result of the tragic terrorist attacks / incidents. 

One more tardy (sorry!) comment about the last Paris episode:

Many, if not most, of the homes toured on Adrian Leeds' episodes are represented / marketed / managed by her firm.  Here's the listing for the Aussie family's pied-a-terre:

http://adrianleeds.com/parler-paris-apartments/orient-du-marais#price   

According to the calendar, it's currently available year-round.  (Meaning, the Aussie wife, to date, hasn't eliminated blocks of time to operate her tutoring business in Paris.) 

Anyone wonder if the family set up that separation drama to make their episode more memorable?     

• Love 1
(edited)

Just finished a new episode - stand-up "comedian" and wife moving from Tulsa to Costa Rica. I'm still confused - did the husband want to be right on the beach?  This was never made clear in the show.

Also, this doesn't seem like the most well-thought-out move.  Wife was the breadwinner in OK, but she would revert to SAHM in Costa Rica.  Husband didn't make much as a "comedian" and had virtually no contacts in Costa Rica.  They were planning to live off their savings and just see what happens, I guess.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 1

I agree that the Costa Rica episode was puzzling. No source of income and the wife was worried about no money coming in. Plus, they were caring for their adult son who had challenges of his own. They apparently wanted to live out this dream, but I suspect they will soon be moving back to Tulsa. How much money can a so called comedian make? Not much. I got the idea the husband talked her into the move and she was trying to convince herself it was the right thing to do. Big mistake.

Plus comedy is not the same in all cultures.  What is funny in the US may not fly in Costa Rica.  Did he even speak the language?  Sounds like a very ill-conceived plan to me.

9 hours ago, aguabella said:

One more tardy (sorry!) comment about the last Paris episode:

Many, if not most, of the homes toured on Adrian Leeds' episodes are represented / marketed / managed by her firm.  Here's the listing for the Aussie family's pied-a-terre:

http://adrianleeds.com/parler-paris-apartments/orient-du-marais#price   

According to the calendar, it's currently available year-round.  (Meaning, the Aussie wife, to date, hasn't eliminated blocks of time to operate her tutoring business in Paris.) 

Anyone wonder if the family set up that separation drama to make their episode more memorable?     

I was thinking that depending on when the episode was taped, the husband was probably working his teaching job, and, given the kids' ages, they were probably in school. So only the self-employed wife and 18-yr old (presumably out of school)

were available to fly to Paris to film.

That said, did you all see their fantastic home in Melbourne? Either Austraila pays its teachers really well, or teaching /tutoring English is much more lucrative than I realized.

And besides, Adrian Leeds got a new tam! Can we just get her her own show already? Or at least a whole series of HHI eps featuring France with her? Please?

• Love 4

I figured the comedian husband from the Costa Rica episode would be working as a lounge act in an English speaking beach resort. But how much money could he make doing that as the sole breadwinner? Wouldn't it make more sense for the wife to continue working as a nurse and the husband staying home to take care of Jacob's special needs? Wouldn't his comedy act be a night job anyway? I'll bet that's what they're really doing and the drama behind the move was all fabricated for the episode. Also, he didn't strike me as being a particularly funny guy, sort of dour and negative, maybe a Don Rickles type of comedy? 

• Love 1

He was a stand up comic???? Whaaaaa?  God was he annoying..and that voice?  Ugh ugh ugh.  Where's my ocean breeze?  I don't see the beach?  So get a freaking job and pay for it you pain in the ass.

I felt so sorry for the wife. 

P.S.  He was not funny at all

• Love 3
On 7/20/2016 at 5:27 PM, Pickles said:

The San Francisco to Barcelona couple. That artwork she was going to sell. Was I the only one who thought it was ugly? States outlined in metal pins and yarn strings crisscrossing? Is there a market for that?

No, it really looked like an elementary grade school project.  And it wouldn't take up much room to do them, so I don't know why she needed so much space for it.  Go get a real job, so you can afford a nice apartment with a (I think you fiance may have mentioned it once or twice, heh) terrace. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TVForever said:

I was thinking that depending on when the episode was taped, the husband was probably working his teaching job, and, given the kids' ages, they were probably in school. So only the self-employed wife and 18-yr old (presumably out of school)

were available to fly to Paris to film.

That said, did you all see their fantastic home in Melbourne? Either Austraila pays its teachers really well, or teaching /tutoring English is much more lucrative than I realized.

And besides, Adrian Leeds got a new tam! Can we just get her her own show already? Or at least a whole series of HHI eps featuring France with her? Please?

lol  If she gets her own show, I won't watch...she irritated the hell out of me for some reason.  lol

• Love 3

I don't think SF to Barcelona woman is making a living selling grade school yarn projects, lol.  I suspect she can do her recruiting job for her tech company from Barcelona.  All she needs is a laptop, and I think I saw two desks and laptops in that room at the end, and few, if any, balls of yarn and thumbtacks.

(edited)
On 7/21/2016 at 8:32 AM, Christine said:

I love Barcelona and was amazed at one can get for $1K a month there.  Would someone explain to me the difference between opening the windows and immediately complaining about the noise vs. having a terrace, hearing just as much noise, and loving it?

The one thing he wanted was a balcony, but she was dismissive of that because of her needs. I wanted to vomit every time he talked about her sacrifices.

There is a difference between opening a window and sitting in your living room and being able to sit outside and relax with a drink or whatever. Having outdoor space nearby is not the same. You have to get dressed and go out and be around people; maybe you just want some fresh air without being "on."

I remember the string/nail artwork. I did it when I was 12, decades ago.

On 7/21/2016 at 11:11 PM, Albino said:

Just finished a new episode - stand-up "comedian" and wife moving from Tulsa to Costa Rica. I'm still confused - did the husband want to be right on the beach?  This was never made clear in the show.

Also, this doesn't seem like the most well-thought-out move.  Wife was the breadwinner in OK, but she would revert to SAHM in Costa Rica.  Husband didn't make much as a "comedian" and had virtually no contacts in Costa Rica.  They were planning to live off their savings and just see what happens, I guess.

That really bothered me too. I don't understand how these people just move to a foreign country without jobs or being independently wealthy, and this couple was clearly not independently wealthy. And his insistence on "a house on the beach" made him come across as a big baby.

On 7/22/2016 at 8:52 AM, Kohola3 said:

Plus comedy is not the same in all cultures.  What is funny in the US may not fly in Costa Rica.  Did he even speak the language?  Sounds like a very ill-conceived plan to me.

Especially since the clip they showed of him in the comedy club was him telling a joke about snow and ice. I'm sure the people of Costa Rica can identify. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

Just saw the Colorado to Mexico family of 9 (+3) episode. Funny how we usually hear people go on and on about how they need all this space for guests and this family, with three additional kids (young adults) living elsewhere,  weren't even giving any thought to housing them when they came to visit. I guess when you have 7 kids to worry about, you don't fret about the others. Like most (non HHI) people, they undoubtedly assume they'll figure something out when the time comes.

The stand-up comedian and his wife in Costa Rica....I swear, some of these house hunters are running away from the US, maybe giving bill collectors or the law the slip.

My take on the comedian and family moving to Costa Rica:

That's not a permanent move. He's got a contract for the season at one of the resorts (16 weeks, or something like that) , and this is an extended vacation for the wife and son. When the contract is over, they'll be heading back home.

I've got to believe that, because the thought that a nurse and only steady family earner (presumably with benefits like insurance to care for their special-needs son)

would give that up , along with what seemed to be a good infrastructure and routine for their son, in order to move to a foreign country to rely on the income of a comedian; that just makes no sense at all.

• Love 3

If I never again have to see spoiled American millennials whining about the apartments in Amsterdam - a city built on a series of canals, ffs - being too small, I will be a happy(er) HHI viewer.  Of course, I could introduce them to the couple whining about not getting three bedrooms in center-city Torino (I think it was that episode).

Ok, I'll try really hard not to be snarky, but...the woman looking for a place in London.  I missed the first couple of minutes, but she brought her sister along to help her.  She mentioned a husband who was back home, wherever that was, and given the budget, they were pretty well off.  Anyway, she looked like a strange ghost woman.  I think it was the blonde hair with the strange hairline that made her look weird.  The long, black witch nails didn't help either.  The hairstyle she wore months later at the end of the show looked a little better.  The place she chose was nice (for $2.5 million it should have been), but she just creeped me out.  

• Love 1

The woman buying in London was a bit different looking. I liked her sister. She seemed pleasant and normal. I think the home buyer was from Nevada. Wonder what the husband does? Wow, what a big budget for a second home! Didn't she end up with house #3 that was more than one million OVER budget? 

Did I hear correctly that the London woman said that their children were all grown?  She was different looking but if she wanted to, she could have passed for 25 -30.  How old must she have really been?  And then it seemed odd that she never once mentioned that the kids would come to visit?  Maybe I misheard, if someone could let me know.

I didn't particularly care for any of the places she looked at but the one she chose was completely "whatever".  And I certainly wasn't overwhelmed at the final look pulled together by her design team.  

• Love 2

The London woman said her children were in college.

To me, it didn't even look like she had used decorators for the place! Very ordinary. I got the idea the place would mainly be for her. It sounded like her husband worked a lot, so I bet she will just live her life in London.

(edited)

I usually don't watch HHI but I caught the London one last night. She was an odd one for sure. I'm guessing either she had her kids young or they were her step kids. I'm guessing step kids because she really didn't seem to like children at all, or even talk about her kids coming to visit. Her husband seemed more like a bank than spouse. Her "decorating" team, at first I thought they were there to help her, then when it was revealed that was the finished product, unless she only paid them $100, she way over paid.

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/26/2016 at 9:01 AM, Trillium said:

I usually don't watch HHI but I caught the London one last night. She was an odd one for sure. I'm guessing either she had her kids young or they were her step kids. I'm guessing step kids because she really didn't seem to like children at all, or even talk about her kids coming to visit. Her husband seemed more like a bank than spouse. Her "decorating" team, at first I thought they were there to help her, then when it was revealed that was the finished product, unless she only paid them $100, she way over paid.

I loved all those built-ins, but it seems like the designers just filled them with random crap for those all-important "pops of color".  Everything looked brand new...very impersonal and very staged.  Loved that rug too...it looked like it was a huge crazy portrait of the Queen?

She probably spent another $150K on furnishings.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Albino said:

She probably spent another $150K on furnishings.

I'm guessing she spent more than that.  Even those knick-knacks on the built-ins probably cost a small fortune.  Those "designers" smelled money, and they got it.

I'm guessing the college kids were step kids.  Even though she was strange looking, she wasn't that old and neither was her sister.    

If that's what 3.75 million gets you in London, I believe I'll just stay where I'm at. I wasn't impressed by any of the choices, not for that money. I know, location, location, location, but I still think I'd pass - I'm sure there were nice places to be had for a bit less than several million dollars, but they wouldn't be good enough, I suppose.

• Love 2

Very random notes:   The London woman was from Novato, California, which is in Marin County 20+ miles north over the Golden Gate from San Francisco.  Real estate is pretty pricey in Marin, for sure, and her own house is probably well over $2 million.  She was creepy and 'entitled', not likeable at all.

I love the London episodes, because I love that city but have only been there twice and very briefly.  The episodes are like little mini-visits, for free.

Her setting a 2.5 million "budget" and then going so far over it - plus the "decorating" - was just dumb.  But maybe if you have as much money as she obviously does, you manage it differently.  

And btw, where is their earlier London realtor, it was Toby, I think?  I had come to feel that if I get to London again I would need to go visit Toby.  The fellow they used after him was charming as well.  New guy has to grow on us, I think.

• Love 3

London lady (and her sister) bugged me.  I get it:  she has money.  But her whole 'I want what I want' attitude and response to blowing the budget by over $1 million made me want to punch her in the throat.  If I had that much money, I would get what I want too, but I wouldn't have an obnoxious, entitled attitude about it.  Turns out, what she wanted was not that great imo.  I would have thought she would get something fantastic, but it was just okay, really, although I really liked the outside look of the building.  And her 'design' was just meh.  Anyway, I was so happy to see an episode in London, but she ruined it for me.  lol

• Love 5

I rarely watch HHI, but I agree with everyone else about the London lady.  She was odd. Her sister seemed cool though.  I know London is expensive, but 3.7mil for a very ordinary apt?? I can't believe there wasn't anything else on the market that was nicer! When the decorators showed up at the end,  I thought they came over to discuss decorating the place,  not to see the reveal. Lol! They did an awful job!!

• Love 5

One thing that bugged me about London lady was at the end, when she and her sister were having tea.  It's like she's watched so many English tv shows and movies, she thought that's what living in London was about--having tea.  

• Love 1

The London lady did bug and I agree....with what she spent, i was very disappointed. Hated her attitude and I knew she would pick the one near a school since she mentioned early on that she didn't want to be near one. The kids in college have to be step kids. But the biggest travesty of all with this episode was not having our adorable Richard Blanco as her realtor! Maybe he is so fed up with ridiculous US homebuyers that he said no thanks. He just hasn't met me yet! 

• Love 2
(edited)

For almost $4M, that place was nothing special.  I feel like we have seen much nicer places with better views AND a garden for a lot less than that.  Location, I guess? 

I'm also having a hard time seeing what exactly those "designers" designed.  There was no paint on the walls, no change to the flooring (did the agent say it was RUBBER?), and I didn't see any amazing artwork or great color or anything.  I mean, honestly, it looked like they pulled up to IKEA and loaded up a truck with the rooms "designed" by IKEA showroom staff.

I usually like the London episodes, but this one fell flat.  For the budget, I expected to see some really great places, especially since the homeowner was going on about how she wanted this place to be full of color and be fun.  Her place seemed the opposite of fun...bland. 

I did agree with her 100% about not wanting to live by a school.  Not only does it get noisy when school is in session, you also have teens "hanging around" at all hours.  I don't know how London teens get to school, but if they are like the US, there will also be traffic - cars and buses during mornings and afternoons.  Plus sporting events - you KNOW that basketball court gets used.  "Bounce, bounce, bounce, thunk, cheer, groan, yell!  Bounce, bounce, over here!  over here! sneaker squeak, bounce, thunk!" is fine, but not when you're trying to enjoy your balcony or listen to music, watch a movie, or have friends over for tea.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10

I actually liked the first one a lot. Property renovated, it would have been really nice and still under "budget". It was the most London-ish to me, and the garden was beautiful. 

The whole things was bizarre. I get her husband obviously works a lot so she can afford a nearly 4 million second home, but why couldn't they have gone together to look at the place when he had off! Surely he could get a week off sometime in six months. Or was it some kind of real estate emergency that she couldn't wait for him? There was no mention at the end of him ever being there. It was all her. And seriously what is she doing all day? She only mentioned getting to know shop owners. There were no shots at the local pub with new friends. The only people other than her sister were paid designers.  The whole thing is super weird. 

• Love 6
(edited)

REALLY disliked the California to London woman.  Did they ever say what her husband did for a living?   The second apartment was downright ugly for that price.  To me, it looked like a cheap apartment building.  I thought the first house was fantastic, and had great potential.   The third house looked nice on the outside, but the inside was way strange.  And the person who said it looked like IKEA was right. It didn't look like a beautiful, stately London home.   The woman's look also bugged me. Her hair was over bleached and she needs some wispy bangs. And then there's the witchy long purple nails. Yuck.  At least she had a decent haircut at the end.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 3

I have never been to London, but love to watch shows where I get a glimpse of the city and homes. It usually takes my breath away. The California fried hair woman's episode did and not in a good way.

Obviously we do not get to see her husband because he will have to probably work till he is 110 to pay for her choice. I must be taste challenged because I thought it was awful before and hideous after decorated. Did anyone catch what the neon sign on the wall said. I expected Patsy and Edna to stumble out of a room drunk. Those decorators where did they get a degree from, yuck. 

Good for the real estate guy picking up on her ego and selling her that ugly place and making a tidy commission, he knows how to read people.

• Love 4

Since London lady really didn't give us any background,  here's what I'm thinking...the kids are step kids and they never got along.  Husband wants a divorce, but then she'll probably get half so that's out of the question.  So...instead of becoming an episode of Dateline, husband "encourages" wife to buy a house in London because she's always wanted to live there.  Now she can sip her afternoon tea in her overpriced, bland, IKEA decorated apartment while her husband lives happily ever after with his new girlfriend and kids.

• Love 11
(edited)
16 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

REALLY disliked the California to London woman.  Did they ever say what her husband did for a living?   The second apartment was downright ugly for that price.  To me, it looked like a cheap apartment building.  I thought the first house was fantastic, and had great potential.   The third house looked nice on the outside, but the inside was way strange.  And the person who said it looked like IKEA was right. It didn't look like a beautiful, stately London home.   The woman's look also bugged me. Her hair was over bleached and she needs some wispy bangs. And then there's the witchy long purple nails. Yuck.  At least she had a decent haircut at the end.  

IKEA is insulted that anyone would think their designs are as bland and unappealing as the ones in house #3.

I definitely would've picked #1.  The kitchen was too modern looking for me, but certainly liveable, and the rest of the flat had great potential.  Plus, I know exactly where that building is.  Kensington is a lovely area.

Isn't it possible that the husband just had no desire to be on tv? 

Probably, but that's not nearly as much fun as juliet73's suggestion.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7

Only halfway through the Sicily episode and I'm already ready to strangle Phyllis! What kind of experienced house flipper is going to reject a house because of the color! Paint is readily available in Italy! 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Only halfway through the Sicily episode and I'm already ready to strangle Phyllis! What kind of experienced house flipper is going to reject a house because of the color! Paint is readily available in Italy! 

Especially on their anemic budget.  Beggars can't be choosers. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Me too!! And mostly I wanted to strangle her over taking her husband away from everything and everyone he knows and loves to chase some wild Sicilian dream. It just broke my heart the way he almost started crying when he mentioned moving so far away from their children...and yet the wife was like, "Eh, whatever, we can fly back whenever we like." She was so flippant, it was almost felt like they were just moving to a new state, not an entirely different part of the world!!

• Love 3

I wondered if the couple moving to Sicily really was moving there.  With only a $100,000 budget, it sounded to me like this was a real estate investment where they would stay a few weeks of the year and rent it out the rest of the time.  Their house in South Carolina (?) looked very nice and I would have thought if they sold it they would be able to afford more than $100,000 for a house.  Perhaps one of our real estate sleuths who participate in this forum can find their Sicilian place on a vacation B&B site.  There were some lovely views from the first property.