Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Skull Island: Reign Of Kong

Bye Mel. Second guessing yourself to the very end. At least you were consistent. As did everyone else (second guessing), but they didn't completely start over.

I still think Melissa has way too much going on that I can't focus on all the work.

Not a hugely surprising final three. Mel's departure will be short-lived as I expect that she will be back next week to help out the finalists. Either no house this year or it wasn't shown. The patio area looked like it was right outside the workplace.

Rob needed about another day to finish his. Good sculpt, but unfinished.

Walter's kinda reminded me of a pig - I was doing the dishes and looked up at the judging. It was well-done, but...

Melissa's was the most 'finished' but the things near the eyeballs were distracting.

• Love 3

Rob made a Gorn!

Oh god, you're right.  As much as I have loved Rob and Walter this season, one of them should have gone home this week.  I know Mel has had some bad weeks recently, and I don't like her constant second-guessing (though Rob does a lot of second-guessing too), buther creature was better than Rob's and Walter's.  Rob's was unfinished.  Walter's face looked like a pig and his wings didn't relate to the face.  If you were asked what that creature had evolved from, you would have no idea.  Mel's was identifiable as an insect because of the cowl and abdomen she fabricated.

• Love 5

When I saw Melissa's finished work, I figured she'd be in jeopardy because of the very obvious eye holes with human eyes looking out.  Instead, the judges didn't even comment on it.  I think they must have judged this episode based on "body of work" in addition to the creature in question.  Maybe they did that to save Rob who clearly didn't do his best work but is one of the best of the season if not *the* best.  I was not unhappy to see Mel go.  Her constant drama and complaining was annoying.

• Love 6

Uh oh. Here I go again, being the know it all biologist. But Melissa's creature was a scorpion/spider thing, not a crab. Fundamentally that wouldn't have changed the pincers or facial characteristics, but it would have given it a stinger. That might have been interesting.

When I saw Melissa's finished work, I figured she'd be in jeopardy because of the very obvious eye holes with human eyes looking out.  Instead, the judges didn't even comment on it.

I thought that made it look like a Halloween mask, it looked like something you would just pull over your head.

Rob, you really scared me this week, don't do it again.

• Love 4

It bugged me that Rob's creature, which started out with bat arms, suddenly evolved a third set of limbs to be its arm-arms, while also evolving bipedal upright posture. Why go to the trouble of evolving an upright foot and hips and a whole third set of arms if you already know how to fly. Either make the wings vestigial or evolve the wing "thumb" to be more of a pincer.

It bugged me - probably more than it should - that all of the evolutionary movement was toward making the creatures look like humans in masks.

I guess I would have sent Walter home, because those wings were made of fail, but I have no complaints about putting Mel out of her misery.

Also - I'm glad that the finale will be another camera challenge, but they should have scheduled at least one camera challenge in the body of the competition, just for practice.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 7

I feel a little bad for Mel, who did step up her game the last two weeks (although man, that duct tape application was some real ghetto Face Off), and should be proud that she got as far as she did and recovered from a her elimination-save a few weeks' ago.  But I'm also proud of the judges for making the "right" choice, which was apparently to look at the body of work as mlp noted.  Besides, this isn't the first time the judges have praised an unfinished piece with one stellar component, even over a solid but unremarkable competitor.

While watching the reveal, I was thinking "There's no room, no one else screwed up badly", and was very worried we were going to have another Roy-going-out-4th situation, or Emily not winning the season she was dominating.  However, I think they made the truly fair decision: after all, Rob didn't turn in a disaster, that head and cowl sculpt was pretty great; he was one animal skin shawl or half hour more of speed-painting to make something pretty decent.  Mel's was as Glenn said, "simplistic" and used "primary forms", and not without its minor flaws.  Given that neither makeup was especially bad or good, it seems reasonable and just to have the tiebreaker be how much better Rob's season has been.  If Mel and Walter had blown out the doors and it was Melissa and Rob there at the bottom with their pieces, you have to go with Melissa in that case.  

Somewhat related aside, but I have for some time thought it would be interesting to do a whole season (of this, or any similar competitive reality show) using a scoring system like in the first "Gauntlet", say where the judges can give each of them a score of 1 to 5, ranging from "Disaster" to "Subpar", to "Acceptable", to "Commendable", to "Exceptional".  No one goes home the first week of course, and the weekly winner gets a bonus point.  After the reveal and judging, the two or three lowest rolling total scores (sum of up to the last three or four week's results, with ties broken by their performance that week) are on the chopping block, although the winner and any "Exceptional" makeups are exempt that week regardless of score.  

Admittedly, it reduces the per-episode tension if you know going in that one or two people are a couple of points behind the pack, and would need a miracle to stay afloat.  Then again, they've been struggling if they're in that position, so we the viewers probably figured they were going home soon anyway.  Similarly, someone like Anthony in season 4- who busted out of the gates with three straight wins- is mathematically incapable of being in the bottom the first time he stumbles; once again, we the viewers know the judges were never going to get rid of him that quickly anyway. On the positive side, it rewards consistently good performers, especially those with occasional bursts of greatness within them, while forcing the "just getting by each week" performers (like Robert this year, until there was no one left for him to slip past) to step up their game much earlier; another mediocre look is no longer enough to just be "safe" that week, if that's all you've been doing. If people get a point or two cushion ahead of the pack, they have an incentive to swing for the fences the next week and try something more daring or interesting- since they're less likely to be in the bottom even with a "Subpar" look- which could lead to more interesting makeups.  And because it's a rolling sum, no one should get too far ahead or behind, or find themselves irrecoverably doomed after the first two or three of weeks.  The rock stars can't coast on their laurels forever either, since phoning in a couple of mediocre weeks puts them right back in the thick of things.

I don't know, it's probably too geeky for the average viewer, and god knows nothing would add sparkle to a TV show like incorporating a weird hybrid scoring system that combines the pulse-pounding energy of golf with the edge-of-your-seat excitement of figure skating. :)  It's still something I'd kind of like to see. I guess I'm weird that way.

In any case, this should be a good finale, as all three are pretty solidly competent and it doesn't feel like anyone didn't deserve to make it/slipped in.  Walter is getting stronger, Melissa and Rob are always very capable and polished.  I suspect  Rob will win; they didn't even do the all three pre-finale contestant talking heads this week, just one from Rob (unless my DVR cut off early?), and he's been too consistent to not rebound.  Although the finale can trip anyone up on things like time management and cohesive design while coordinating multiple people, especially the way the show freely tries new things.  I do hope they do something similar to the cinematic challenge last season, because I thought that was a great way to showcase not just the initial makeup, but incorporating real-world feedback and quick modifications.

• Love 7

I am very satisfied with the final three. Like the rest of you I was very worried for Rob going into the reveal stage, because he really did stumble at the finish line. But then again, I think the contestants do that in the semi-finale almost every season: psych themselves out/over-reach because they so desperately want it. Rob's my favourite and has been from the start, so I'm happy the judges looked at his body of work and not just this make up (because it really wasn't that good and I think he would agree). Barring any more stumbles, I still think he has it in the bag (and even if he doesn't win, he'll have a good career. Being that good at 20? Imagine what he can do at 40...)

• Love 3

When I saw Melissa's finished work, I figured she'd be in jeopardy because of the very obvious eye holes with human eyes looking out.  Instead, the judges didn't even comment on it.

ITA. I though it was a nice mask/cowl, but it was so obviously a human head with a fake mask on. I kept yelling 'Uh, eyeholes! Eyeholes!" but I guess they couldn't hear me through the TV screen. I thought all the judges were off their game this week, way too nice to everyone and very little constructive criticism. I bet Mel thought she was safe based on the judges comments. I thought they were right to pass Rob on to the finale, but they praised his head to the skies without even asking about the obviously unfinished part. Mel's was at least a finished, nicely thought out complete character.

I don't know, it's probably too geeky for the average viewer, and god knows nothing would add sparkle to a TV show like incorporating a weird hybrid scoring system that combines the pulse-pounding energy of golf with the edge-of-your-seat excitement of figure skating. :)  It's still something I'd kind of like to see. I guess I'm weird that way.

hcdz, you can geek along with me. I've thought for years that many (if not all) reality competitions should be judged this way. And thanks for the beautiful detailed elaboration, you nailed it!  I'm giving you a 6.0 (which shows you how old I am!)

• Love 3

OK I dont have much to add except something utterly shallow and possibly a bit weird but......there was a very quick shot of Rob with his hair loose and dear ogd what a scrumptious boy he is! I know that's weird considering Im old enough to be his mom....well his grandma......and Im lesbian but still.....wear that hair down more often cutie pie!

• Love 7

Oh my, Diebartdie... I was going to post the exact same thing. For a second, I didn't even recognize him with his hair down, but he's got great hair! He looked very cute, although I don't otherwise find him attractive (too short & stocky for me).

My thought when Rob produced such an unfinished piece (and refusing to accept he was going to be offed), was the judges/show would reward him for his excellent work up to this point and not eliminate anyone- they'd say Mel was the 3rd person to make it in and then say, "Rob, we're sorry you had time management issues this week and could not produce a completed work. However, you have been outstanding this season, so you will join the other 3 in the finale." It just seemed a little unfair to eliminate Mel over Rob based on this particular challenge, so I was extremely happy when they called Rob's name and clearly based their finale decisions on overall body of work. 

I wonder if there were a lot of negative judges' comments to the other 3 that were edited out for suspense (Oh no! Rob's gonna go 'cause he's the only one who really got criticized!). I would think they would have had to have commented on Melissa's clear "mask," but then again, she won, so maybe not.

Anyway, I hope Rob can get back on his game and pulls out an amazing finale look.

• Love 1

Not a great week, once again, between a silly looking man-bat, an unfinished Gorn, an insect with all-too-human eyes, and Mel's human cockroach. Funnily enough, even though the final three were a given based on their overall body of work, I liked Mel's creation more than the other three, this week.

Next week doesn't look too promising, as far as finals go : create a camera-ready monster for an horror short... meh.

• Love 1

As soon as Mel made the comment about tooting her own horn I wondered if she would be the one going home. I am glad that she won't have a million talking heads during the finale... And, I'me very glad that Rob will be in the finale. Quite frankly, I didn't realize how great his sculpt was until the close-ups during the judging. I was also surprised about Melissa's eye holes/sockets.

• Love 4

When I saw Melissa's finished work, I figured she'd be in jeopardy because of the very obvious eye holes with human eyes looking out.  Instead, the judges didn't even comment on it.  I think they must have judged this episode based on "body of work" in addition to the creature in question.  Maybe they did that to save Rob who clearly didn't do his best work but is one of the best of the season if not *the* best.  

I agree with both points. I thought for sure the judges would say something about those very mask-like eye holes! I also didn't like the two long antenna-like things sticking straight out of her creature's face - what purpose would those serve? They just looked like they'd get in the way. And I agree Rob was probably saved for his body of work, but I'm okay with that since I don't like seeing an otherwise very talented and consistent artist go home for slipping up a little at the end. 

I'm okay with the final 3, but I think I would have sent Walter home instead of Mel. I thought Mel's actually looked pretty good, and as others have noted, you could tell it evolved from an insect form. I really didn't like Walter's creature this week - those raggedy wings really bugged me. They didn't look like they'd serve any useful purpose at all - they certainly didn't look like they could be used for flying and they were too ugly to be used just for show.

It bugged me - probably more than it should - that all of the evolutionary movement was toward making the creatures look like humans in masks.

I had the same thought too while each of them was sketching his/her designs - why did they all have to evolve into upright bipedal beings? The challenge was to evolve into an intelligent species, right? I don't see why that has to be so human-like, but I guess that's the easiest way to convey "intelligence." 

At any rate, I think all 3 finalists are talented so I hope they knock it out of the park for the finale.

• Love 1

why did they all have to evolve into upright bipedal beings? 

Until they use models on this show that aren't upright bipedal beings themselves, I think that's how it's always going to go.

It bugged me that Rob's creature, which started out with bat arms, suddenly evolved a third set of limbs to be its arm-arms, while also evolving bipedal upright posture. Why go to the trouble of evolving an upright foot and hips and a whole third set of arms if you already know how to fly. Either make the wings vestigial or evolve the wing "thumb" to be more of a pincer.

Now THAT bothered me a lot more.  He also could have left the wings attached to the arms, since that would make them more functional as wings.  No reason there couldn't be a super-intelligent bat complete with functional bat wings.

This King Kong ride  sounded like it was going to be some kind of virtual reality ride.

ETA:  spelling.  Sigh.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

[small voice]They should have cut Walter[/small voice].  That was just a boatload of poor decision-making, and I was annoyed that Glen didn't call out the wings more, not just because they looked bad, but because they also don't make anatomical sense.

The Editing Gods play with us for their sport.  I was so ready for them to diplomatically tear Rob a new one, and then he got so much praise for what was, despite the lost time, a great sculpture.  Maybe I should have expected it, but that's the biggest reversal I can remember the show pulling.

You don't go to Universal for King Kong, you go for Harry Potter.  But I was envious of Melissa.  My husband and I went there the Christmas before last and had an awesome time.

I was thinking Sleestak, but Gorn works too. Surprised nobody thought to use the actual evolutionary path, since dinosaurs evolved into birds. Too many feathers? They could have really done anything as long as they offered a decent justification. The ancestors of modern Homo Sapiens were small, shrewlike creatures. You would never have drawn a direct line from that to us.

Until they use models on this show that aren't upright bipedal beings themselves, I think that's how it's always going to go.

Back on I think one of Poltergeist movies, the makeup artists were able to create a monster that didn't look human by using a veteran who had lost both legs and one arm. I would love for this to be a challenge!

Walter's kinda reminded me of a pig

My mind went to Michael Ironside.

That reminds me of a story a Star Trek actress (I want to say Celeste Yarnall) tells on convention panels - IIRC, a fan once asked her why all the ST aliens were "carbon-based." She told him that when they start casting non-carbon extras, she'd let him know...

Ultimately, I think we get "guy in a mask" designs almost exclusively because that's what the judges (and producers) are looking for.  Their focus has always been on well sculpted and painted prosthetic appliances - primarily masks and cowls.  Other fabrication has always been kind of a bonus, but this show is called "Face Off" for a reason.  For the record, I do appreciate when the contestants go the extra mile to make props, armor, wings, etc... and I wish Syfy would do another fabrication-intensive show, like the Jim Henson Creature Challenge or Heroes of Cosplay.

• Love 3

As soon as Mel made the comment about tooting her own horn I wondered if she would be the one going home. I am glad that she won't have a million talking heads during the finale... And, I'me very glad that Rob will be in the finale. Quite frankly, I didn't realize how great his sculpt was until the close-ups during the judging. I was also surprised about Melissa's eye holes/sockets.

Except that they usually get help from the eliminated players for the final challenge, which makes me worried that we will be subjected to a bunch talking heads of Mel telling us how worried she is for the artists she is helping and how she isn't sure that she is doing what he/she wants, or that her work isn't good enough for them to win, etc...

I wonder if, despite being "fourth best" Mel will be picked closer to last when they choose the finale teams - just because no one wants to deal with her lack of confidence and second guessing.  

• Love 1

Is it just my TV or are Melissa's teeth really yellow?  Not having the most sparkling white teeth myself, I am not criticizing her and her mad skillz, but she's so blond and pink, I am always taken aback by what appear to be lemon yellow choppers. 

• Love 3

You are not alone. I like Melissa well enough but she is very hard for me to look at because of her coloring. Her skin is quite pink and her hair is too yellow for her skin tone and yeah, her teeth match her hair. It's very unsettling for me. lol

I will say, on the shallow, this show has the most interesting looking contestants. They each seem very characture like.

and I wish Syfy would do another fabrication-intensive show, like the Jim Henson Creature Challenge or Heroes of Cosplay.

I want them to do a season with multiple discipline teams, sort of like the holiday wars shows on Food Network. Instead of a baker, sugar artist and carver you'd have a makeup artist, fabricator and wadrobe designer.

• Love 4

Not at all surprised the way the final three shook out. The challenge was kind of vague/pointless though, some of those names sounded like drugs. I was initially very impressed with what those four turned out, like "hey, been waiting all season for this", but then up close.....not so much. Ah well. Almost done. Don't think it needs a two part finale though. I AM surprised they haven't done much to celebrate ten seasons, no flashbacks or anything at all, except in the opening credits, which only serves to drive home the point that things have not progressed. While I'd love to see Robert win, I highly doubt they are going to pitch the title to a 20 year old. So my bet is Walter or Melissa, with Walter having a slight edge at the moment.

Pitching in late - but this was one of the few times my family disagreed vehemently with the judges.  We all hated Walter's and Melissa's creatures; we liked Mel's best; and we thought what Rob did was excellent and would most likely have been the winner if he'd been able to complete the work.  We would have had them send Walter home and put Mel in the finals.  Walter's this week looked like a pig with broken wings, and as others have mentioned, what was up with the ugly eye holes around Melissa's guy's eyes and the silly 'feelers' flopping in front of his eyes.  We were at a complete loss this week.  Only good thing was that Rob made it - he's been pretty consistently good all season and deserved to be there based on overall body of work.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/1/2016 at 1:21 PM, Mabinogia said:

You are not alone. I like Melissa well enough but she is very hard for me to look at because of her coloring. Her skin is quite pink and her hair is too yellow for her skin tone and yeah, her teeth match her hair. It's very unsettling for me. lol

I will say, on the shallow, this show has the most interesting looking contestants. They each seem very characture like.

I actually think she is very pretty - she has one of the "types" of face which I am just instinctively drawn to. And despite her teeth reading rather yellow on screen, I really like the shape of them. The color seems to be a bit of an optical illusion because they do match her hair almost perfectly and there's really nothing in her complexion to offset it, but they are probably well within the range of what "normal" colored teeth were before we all got so used to the artificially whitened ones everywhere around us these days. If she were to darken her hair just a touch - even just to a real strawberry blonde, and wear a bit of lipstick, I don't think her teeth would look nearly as yellowish.

Edited to add that that's just for the camera, really. If she's comfortable not wearing makeup on a daily basis, more power to her. I don't think her coloring would really make anyone look twice in real life. It's perfectly normal; we are just attuned to a really artificial brand of "perfection" when it comes to stuff on screen.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix