Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

If she's that big an Andy Griffith Show fan, she couldn't just pick Andrew instead? Oh well, better than Gomer or Goober.

Unless the idea of Olivia Wilde naming her son Otis just left THAT big an impression on her.

22 minutes ago, Hope4Soaps said:

These old-fashioned names are favored by hipsters and millennials. I met a baby girl named Dorothy last Sunday.

Is Dorothy anywhere near as old-fashioned as Otis? I know a couple of Dorothys.

I'm not sure. I liken Dorothy to the Golden Girls, and that's why I also thought that Sophia was really old-timey, but every other girl in my daughter's class has that name. Emily reminds me of Faulkner's A Rose for Emily, set in the 1930s about a woman who was elderly then, but that also made a huge comeback, so I don't know. I have a name from the early 60s and was born in the late 70s, and I named my child a popular 80s name (that I wanted!) in 2004, so I guess it all comes down to preference.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, ulkis said:

You all have to re-watch Milo and Otis.

Who is Pilot Inspektor?

Jason Lee's (My Name Is Earl/Scientololgist) son. 

And then there's Shannyn Sossamon's son: Audio Science. 

32 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Or Scout.

Scout has the prestige of being a To Kill a Mockingbird character, though. And compared to the names of Bruce and Demi's OTHER kids (Rumer and Tallulah), it's probably the least offensive.

Anyway, I know Kim is a life long Angelino, but I really thought she would dodge the weird baby name bullet. Sigh. And again, I'm a life long TAGS fan, so Otis will just always be an automatic NO to me as a name. As will Gomer, Goober, and Opie. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

Perhaps she is a fan of music and its a nod to Otis Redding.  That's who I thought of when I heard the name.

That's also what I thought of. Regardless, I'm sure there's meaning behind the name that means something to her personally. 

• Love 2

I suppose it could be for him. I'm sorry; I didn't mean to come across as rude or anything; I'm genuinely happy for her, but the name definitely threw me off. 

I don't know if I would call Otis a wierd name. It's more of a really really old fashioned name. I'm trying to recall anyone well know with the name born in the latter half of the last century and no one comes to mind. 

Of the famous people with the name there's also Otis Williams (The Temptations). Olivia Wilde also has a son with the same name.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

Perhaps she is a fan of music and its a nod to Otis Redding.  That's who I thought of when I heard the name.

Or maybe it's not his real name.  She said she wasn't going to show full baby pictures.

I know of a couple who nicknamed the baby Otis while in utero and gave him a completely different name when born.

• Love 2

And this one! 

Maybe I've been watching too much of 8's GH recently, because I can actually hear Little Kimberly in my head saying "Love you!'. 

• Love 7

Congratulations to KMc and her boyfriend - I like Otis better than her onscreen husband naming his son Bowie Banjo lol but to each their own.

Now for the other cousin...

http://soapcentral.com/gh/news/2017/0607-kirsten_storms_depression.php

GH's Kirsten Storms opens up about her battle with "severe depression". Good for her for coming forward and taking the time to properly deal with the problem - I had a bout with depression years ago and treatment and medication helped me recover.

• Love 5
On 6/5/2017 at 7:31 AM, Badsamaritan said:

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2017/06/ratings-soaps-total-viewers-6

GH
Monday: 1.77/2,406,000
Tuesday: 1.86/2,424,000
Wednesday: 2.01/2,687,000
Thursday: 1.72/2,353,000
Friday: 1.79/2,439,000

Since I'm barely watching, I looked at recaps to see what was popping off that week. NB kicked off Wednesday with a 2.01 and then dropped off a cliff for Thursday and Friday, which included the riveting drama of NotDeadJake's Can 'O Chimera and the Carson/Ava bullshit. This was their big "sweeps" stories, people. So now my question once again is, WTF are Uncle Frank and Jelly still in charge?

Let's place some bets on how much lower that number will go over the summer....I got $20 on a 1.6......

I'll go hog wild and say they fall below the 1.0 mark.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:09 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

Without going into too much other show discussion, I think Max was killed/died.  Maybe he's a recast?  He's be a great Stephen Lars, AJ, or Nik recast.  All three characters can be written in now.  

Or JdP could be coming in as Jimmy Lee Holt, who moves into town with his family in order to shore up the badly decimated Quartermaines... HEEHEEHOOHOOHAHAHAHAHAHA I couldn't even make it to the end of that sentence and keep a straight face!  As if the writers have any interest in rebuilding the Quartermaines!

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

Congratulations to KMc and her boyfriend - I like Otis better than her onscreen husband naming his son Bowie Banjo lol but to each their own.

Now for the other cousin...

http://soapcentral.com/gh/news/2017/0607-kirsten_storms_depression.php

GH's Kirsten Storms opens up about her battle with "severe depression". Good for her for coming forward and taking the time to properly deal with the problem 

I  . . . have my doubts that she did. I feel like the tptb probably forced her. Pretty much most of last year she looked ill, took less than a month break, came back again still looking frail, and only left when she was looking extremely ill. And just from a neutral standpoint, it seems like a terrible idea for her to come back to GH. I don't know. I hope FV and whoever else is in charge are really thinking about what is actually best for her. But like I said I don't know. Maybe returning to GH is what's best for her. But it feels off to me.

• Love 3

It's too bad she felt she had to say something. I'm all for making stuff like this public to help remove the stigma, but it should be voluntary, not because people are being assholes. Poor KSt. She's had a rough road for the past few years. I really hope she's got a good therapist.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

It's too bad she felt she had to say something. I'm all for making stuff like this public to help remove the stigma, but it should be voluntary, not because people are being assholes. Poor KSt. She's had a rough road for the past few years. I really hope she's got a good therapist.

Yeah, that comment about drugs on her feed was really vile.  Drug addiction is also a form of mental illness, and people who struggle with depression or are bipolar very often also have problems with addiction.   (The theory I have heard about this is that the person who is depressed/bipolar is subconsciously trying to self-medicate - taking uppers when they feel down, taking downers to take the edge off, etc.).  Either way, it's cruel to make light of a serious illness.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, ulkis said:

I  . . . have my doubts that she did. I feel like the tptb probably forced her. Pretty much most of last year she looked ill, took less than a month break, came back again still looking frail, and only left when she was looking extremely ill. And just from a neutral standpoint, it seems like a terrible idea for her to come back to GH. I don't know. I hope FV and whoever else is in charge are really thinking about what is actually best for her. But like I said I don't know. Maybe returning to GH is what's best for her. But it feels off to me.

She has been posting makeover pictures on Instagram and she seems in good spirits. I have had lifelong depression and anxiety issues so I really wish her all the best.

• Love 1
(edited)

I also think KS coming back so soon is a very bad idea. And no, I've never believed her issues are purely about mental health. Not for years.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

The theory I have heard about this is that the person who is depressed/bipolar is subconsciously trying to self-medicate - taking uppers when they feel down, taking downers to take the edge off, etc.

I took a course in psychology diagnostics last term and in the printout of the Personality Assessment Inventory for one of the clients it said "Even though the client denies taking drugs or alcohol, this may not be true."  That line comes up for someone who has significant depression because they may be self-medicating with drugs or alcohol and denying it to the therapist.

ETA:  Did KSt have ovarian issues a few years ago?  Those can be very painful.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

She had endometriosis. I feel bad for her, everyone is either so heartless and cruel whether she has depression or an addiction, it really doesn't matter. She's had a horribly rough time.

• Love 10
(edited)

Isn't she estranged from most/all of her biological family, too?* That can't make things any easier. (OTOH, staying away from them probably/might be part of what keeps her a little bit saner.) 

But for some reason I thought she was specifically estranged from her parents, because in the grand child star fashion, they treated her like a bit of a show pony when she was younger. I could be wrong, though. 

*As opposed to her former in-laws, since she and Brandon aren't married anymore, but I never heard about them not getting along.

Edited by UYI
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

I also think KS coming back so soon is a very bad idea. And no, I've never believed her issues are purely about mental health. Not for years.

Why would you say that?  What do you mean?

57 minutes ago, UYI said:

Isn't she estranged from most/all of her biological family, too?* That can't make things any easier. (OTOH, staying away from them probably/might be part of what keeps her a little bit saner.) 

But for some reason I thought she was specifically estranged from her parents, because in the grand child star fashion, they treated her like a bit of a show pony when she was younger. I could be wrong, though. 

*As opposed to her former in-laws, since she and Brandon aren't married anymore, but I never heard about them not getting along.

There was some rumor that Paevey dated her sister and it didn't break up amicably and that she was mad about that, so I guess at least maybe she gets along with her.

(edited)
7 hours ago, bannana said:

Why would you say that?  What do you mean?

There have been rumors for years that she has been battling a drug addiction. The closest that something like that has showed itself in public was her DUI arrest in 2007, but OTOH, if she's managed to keep something like that private enough that, at this point at least, nothing about it has gone past the rumor stage, is actually pretty incredible in the age of social media we live in. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

She had endometriosis. I feel bad for her, everyone is either so heartless and cruel whether she has depression or an addiction, it really doesn't matter. She's had a horribly rough time.

Well her sister in law who she was really close to had said on Twitter that she lied about having endo.

I still don't think endo was the reason she was gone for all those months. Plenty of actresses and other women in Hollywood struggle with it and the recovery time for the surgery does not take months on end.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/10/2017 at 2:06 PM, yowsah1 said:

Or JdP could be coming in as Jimmy Lee Holt, who moves into town with his family in order to shore up the badly decimated Quartermaines... HEEHEEHOOHOOHAHAHAHAHAHA I couldn't even make it to the end of that sentence and keep a straight face!  As if the writers have any interest in rebuilding the Quartermaines!

Steve Bond (whatever happened to him, anyway?) is only about 4 years older than JDP, so it's not THAT outlandish an idea, Quartermaine or not.

And @Chairperson Meow, I'm still shocked, after all my stanning for Max on the OLTL forum over the years, that you didn't know he left town alive. I have to have mentioned that about 18 billion times by now, lol. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, UYI said:

Steve Bond (whatever happened to him, anyway?) is only about 4 years older than JDP, so it's not THAT outlandish an idea, Quartermaine or not.

And @Chairperson Meow, I'm still shocked, after all my stanning for Max on the OLTL forum over the years, that you didn't know he left town alive. I have to have mentioned that about 18 billion times by now, lol. 

To be fair, I was on pain medication when I wrote that lol.  I got confused at by that finale scene with Luna, Gabrielle.  And I block Luna out most times tbh.  Her voice bothers me like Mo's stutter barks.  Lol.  I'm terrible, I know.  I sentence myself to 2 hrs of Sonny.   

• Love 2

I grant thee clemency!  Two hours of Sonny is really jumping into cruel and unusual punishment. 

I just finished last week's episodes in under 2 hours. I couldn't make myself not watch it in ff. Damn, it was terrible! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

LMAO, why didn't you guys tell me about this? No, Rachel, no.

Personally I hope this means Rachel will do daily updates on her show about GH now. I look forward in seeing who she would snark on the most. 

• Love 2