Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

(edited)

Max isn't dead. When last heard from, he was living in Argentina with his twins, though they should be grown now.

I can't see him as any of those three, @Chairperson Meow. JdP is a good-looking man, but he's nearly 60. I could buy him as a recast Valentin. I just hope he's not another freaking mobster.

ETA: Ha, jinx!

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Without going into too much other show discussion, I think Max was killed/died.   

No, his son on OLTL died and then  he & his other kids went to live in South America with Gabrielle.

• Love 1

I just read that James DePaiva once played Holly's brother before being cast as Max on OLTL. If so, doubt it'll be that character with Holly long gone, but I can't imagine who he'll be playing this time around.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I can't believe I haven't seen this here.

James DePavia is joining GH, as announce by Frank today.  No word on who he's playing or whatever, just that he's joining the GH fam.  Per Serial Drama's fb

Minor note: it's DePaiva. :)

12 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

*cue UYI doing a dance of joy*

I am DYING. I NEVER thought I'd see him in daytime after his brief OLTL return 10 years ago. To think that my number one daytime crush of all time is coming back--and that, at nearly 60 (come October 8th!) he's still as hot as ever--I can't even think straight right now.

Haters gonna hate, but this is AMAZING. :D 

4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I just read that James DePaiva once played Holly's brother before being cast as Max on OLTL. If so, doubt it'll be that character with Holly long gone, but I can't imagine who he'll be playing this time around.

See, I heard his character was a waiter who hit on Holly. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, UYI said:

See, I heard his character was a waiter who hit on Holly. 

Now I buy this more than the brother angle because...accents and such. Then again, John J. York did a horrible fake Aussie accent as we all know. So who knows. Either way, JDP was on GH eons ago.  :-)

(edited)

1985 is the year I've seen listed, with his character being named Eddie Holton (although, according to a 2009 interview JDP did, his name was never mentioned on camera; I think it was only listed in the closing credits and on IMDB). And the character was only around for like a week, at most. 

Edited by UYI
(edited)
27 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Spec from elsewhere brings up a possibility: Maybe JDP is Liz's MIA daddy, Dr. Jeff Webber? And Monica's ex...

Interesting. I could see myself being interested in watching that. A storyline about Liz's family? Unpossible!

I've never heard that Howarth and dePaiva had a feud. I mean, I could conceivably see there being friction back in the 90's when Roger's popularity exploded and Todd became the leading male character on the show, edging out the likes of Cord and Max a bit. Roger was rumored to have been difficult in those days and Jimmy always struck me as outspoken and not one to suffer fools, as opposed his more diplomatic/company woman wife. (That's not a criticism of either of the dePaivas, btw.) But I doubt any tension, if it existed, was ever personal or long-standing enough to constitute a feud.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

If he's Elizabeth's father, he won't be returning for her. He probably heard about Rebecca Budig and wants to set things right.

Yeah, because he did so right be the daughter he pretty much abandoned. At least Hayden can take comfort in the knowledge that he treated his known children the same as his unknown one and won't pull a Carly.  

(edited)

IIRC JDP allegedly had issues with Howarth's stardom early on, as he'd been top dog (plus RH was paired with his wife, while the Max character began to languish). I imagine it's long since water under the bridge now.

JDP has publicly admitted more than once to being a 'nightmare' for some of the BTS folks when he wanted things his way, and blamed himself while crediting Kassie for being the peacemaker. I think he copped to throwing a chair at OLTL EP Linda Gottlieb.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, jsbt said:

IIRC JDP allegedly had issues with Howarth's stardom early on, as he'd been top dog (plus RH was paired with his wife, while the Max character began to languish). I imagine it's long since water under the bridge now.

Maybe he'll see a scene of Franco and will accidentally chuckle and the issues will come back lol.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Lawd, just call this show One Life to Live already.

YOU WON'T RUIN MY JOY GODDAMNIT. :P

8 hours ago, Artsda said:

No, his son on OLTL died and then  he & his other kids went to live in South America with Gabrielle.

Actually, Gabby was strangled to death in a public bathroom at the stroke of midnight on New Years Day 2004. And originally, he went to live with Frank and Leslie in Luna's home state of North Carolina on October 27th, 2003 (Al died in late September 2003). But then in 2007 at Asa's funeral it was revealed he was in Argentina, where Gabrielle was from and where Al was both born and buried.

8 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I couldn't remember tbh.  I remembered a heaven scene where two of his ex wives were talking.... I thought he was there too.  My bad. 

He wasn't even asked back. It pissed me off so much.

And technically, it was his ex-wife (Gabrielle), late wife (Luna--their marriage ended in her murder), and his one time fiancee Megan. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

I thought of UYI immediately. So happy for you!

I really thought he was done with acting on soaps forever, leaving that job to his wife. His first love has always been the stage (well, he also played in rock bands back in the day where he grew up in the Bay Area; he played bass), and he's done a lot of plays since ABC fired him from OLTL in 2003. Whenever he returned to soaps--with the exception of his three day OLTL return 10 years ago--it was to direct episodes of ATWT (he also directed some OLTL episodes in the late 90's).

I'm curious if he's going to be active on social media now; his Facebook page is a private, "add friend" type of deal (no, I haven't done that; I'm not a stalker, lol). I don't blame him for staying off, though, and again, leaving that type of stuff to his wife. 

Edited by UYI

The only thing about him playing Liz's dad is that JDP literally would have been 20 years old in real life when Becky was born. He was born in 1957; she in 1977.

But I suppose it could work. 

And yes, y'all are going to be hearing more from me from now on. The beast has been unleashed. :P 

• Love 4

With apologies to @UYI, the very last thing this show needs is another middle aged OLTL actor. Or any middle aged actor, at this point. The show is already too top heavy in that damn age range and they don't use the people they already have! We've got Scummy, the murderhobo, Dr. Silas Hamilton McBain Finn, worst mobster ever Julian, cry at the drop of a hat Valentin, Dr. Kevin, Scotty Baldwin, Ned Quartermaine, and dad to erbody, Mac. What the actual fuck, Frank??

• Love 9

My first thought also was of UYI, awww.  It's cute we've all learned each others' favorites, I remember smiling when a bunch of you made sure to note for me when Jon Lindstrom was brought back last year.

As for JDP, I did like him as Max on OLTL.  My first thought too was that he'd be a decent choice to play Jeff Webber.  I just really hope he's not some random, like Raymond Berlin or something.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, UYI said:

The only thing about him playing Liz's dad is that JDP literally would have been 20 years old in real life when Becky was born. He was born in 1957; she in 1977.

And yes, y'all are going to be hearing more from me from now on. The beast has been unleashed. :P 

That's about what most parent child age differences on soaps are, so I'm sure it would be fine.

2 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

With apologies to @UYI, the very last thing this show needs is another middle aged OLTL actor. Or any middle aged actor, at this point. The show is already too top heavy in that damn age range and they don't use the people they already have! We've got Scummy, the murderhobo, Dr. Silas Hamilton McBain Finn, worst mobster ever Julian, cry at the drop of a hat Valentin, Dr. Kevin, Scotty Baldwin, Ned Quartermaine, and dad to erbody, Mac. What the actual fuck, Frank??

I really don't think poor Mac counts at this point. He's literally on about 3 episodes a year, tops.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I really don't think poor Mac counts at this point. He's literally on about 3 episodes a year, tops.

Isn't he supposed to be making an appearance soon? Saw that at another board.

KSt is on her way back. She tweeted about going shopping for Maxie's wardrobe.

(edited)
13 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Jimmy always struck me as outspoken and not one to suffer fools, as opposed his more diplomatic/company woman wife. (That's not a criticism of either of the dePaivas, btw.) But I doubt any tension, if it existed, was ever personal or long-standing enough to constitute a feud.

JdP notoriously threw a chair at former OLTL producer Linda Gottlieb of Dirty Dancing fame. (I guess that's already been said, oops!)

1 hour ago, ulkis said:

LW is only 47 and Michael and Morgan both circle(d) 30. It happens.

Edited by Hope4Soaps
because I should read other comments before I post
  • Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, ulkis said:

He's on today.

Wait...a Mac, Cameron, and Lucas sighting all in the same week? Is the world coming to an end?

Edited by Hope4Soaps
because "sight" and "site" are two different things
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Hope4Soaps said:

JdP notoriously threw a chair at former OLTL producer Linda Gottlieb of Dirty Dancing fame.

I remember hearing about this now. Hee. Unacceptable behavior, obviously, but also pretty funny.

Didn't Tony Geary have a similar incident with Richard Culliton? Backstage drama is always more crazier than what's going on onscreen.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, UYI said:

I think that's a perfect age to be between parent and child.  But that's just me.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, UYI said:

Pfft, that's nothing.  :-) In the movie Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Burl Ives played the father to both Paul Newman and Jack Carson. For the record, Ives was born in 1909...and "son" Jack Carson was born in 1910. Hee.

So at least there's an actual age gap here! Soaps and movies do this all the time.

And hey, on this show, temp-that-was-supposed-to-be-permanent Edward, Jed Allan was born in 1937, same as Stuart Damon's Alan!

Edited by WendyCR72
  • Love 1
(edited)

LOL, Larry Cassadine from TV's Perfect Strangers is coming for Kevin. OK. You just sang Billy Joel to Michelle Stafford

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Hope4Soaps said:

JdP notoriously threw a chair at former OLTL producer Linda Gottlieb of Dirty Dancing fame. (I guess that's already been said, oops!)

LW is only 47 and Michael and Morgan both circle(d) 30. It happens.

I hope JDP sees Roger as Franco and throws a chair at him.... or Maurice.  Then he shall be my favorite.  Morgan is 30?  So is Micheal?  No.....

• Love 1
(edited)

I totally forgot this piece of JDP trivia. (GH related, I promise!)

In 1998, there was a book released in honor of OLTL's 30th anniversary. In it, JDP talked about how mom when his mom first came to California from Germany, she became a fan of all the ABC soaps--they are a big reason she learned to speak English. As a result, he would often watch them with her, too, and when they would visit the Bay Area, she would often drag Jim along with her so they could both meet them. The specific soap star he mentioned that his mom dragged him to their local mall to meet? Richard Dean Anderson.

So, if he DOES, in fact, play Jeff Webber, I guess that was a moment of foreshadowing for his future! 

10 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

I know, I'm the most selfish person ever here, I'll admit it. But I've waited over a decade to see him on TV again. I'll happily duck all the tomatoes I need to duck to enjoy seeing him again. :P 

FWIW, I was pretty sure he denied throwing a chair at LG. I think he did make her cry once, though, without a chair being involved. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Didn't Tony Geary have a similar incident with Richard Culliton? Backstage drama is always more crazier than what's going on onscreen.

I think he punched him over a story disagreement. 

34 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't mind it at all. It's recognizably a name. It could have been so much worse. 

So true.I seen a baby list name the other day on the names that were going to be popular there horrible.