Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Inflatable

• Start Topic

YES!!!!!!

That's the way to do it!  Thank you Vince!

I was dying at the clothes, not flushing, and then he came in with Bagpipes!  OMG yes!  Finally, an episode I can actually love, I knew they had it in them!  Also loved Kim just waiting for the paperwork, she may not really leave for story, but at least she wasn't being an idiot about it.

For the first time I can remember I wanted to tell Mike to STFU.  Get over yourself Dude, if you are too good to ride in an elevator with Jimmy, find yourself a new lawyer to clean up your messes.

Although what ever happened to the very big deal about not making Kim look bad for recommending you?  Who cares?  It was fun. 

• Love 5

I never have watched BB, but I was wondering if Saul's name was ever discussed from the idea that Jimmy came up with the name as a play on, "it'S ALL GOOD MAN." No? Just me? I'll see myself out now. ;) 

It was hilarious to see the assistant so offended by the non-flushing. ha

• Love 1

I think my live feed froze up for 2 seconds, when Mike was talking to Stacey.  When my feed started working it looked as though he was gazing off in the distance.  Did he see someone drive by when he was talking to her?

Edited by Sherry67

I do believe Kim just referenced working on the Grey Matter case.

Or something similar to troll too-attentive BB viewers.

Wow.

I missed that.

Jimmy doesn't look too thrilled at sharing an office with Kim as "not partners."

I think my live feed froze up for 2 seconds, when Mike was talking to Stacey.  When my feed started working it looked as though he was gazing off in the distance.  Did he see someone drive by when he was talking to her?

No I thought it would, but I don't think anything happened.

Jimmy's dad is a doofus, and that's probably why his accounting was so off, still it was a little sad to see Saul take money from him too.

• Love 4

So . . . when Jimmy was back in the nail salon and recording his voice mail message, did anyone else think (HOPE?) the outgoing message he was going to record -- after he decided against his "British assistant" -- was "you have reached the offices of Saul Goodman . . . " I could hear it . . .I swear I could!

I am going to scare the kitties and the neighbors when we do finally get the switch because the shout of elation is going to be so. damn. loud. 

Yet another "why this show is awesome" -- the pause was just long enough to make you wonder and hope and then still be okay with the disappointment when we still didn't get the change-up we all KNOW is coming . . . . ?

Oh VG and crew, how you do tease us! And I LOVE it! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 6

I noticed that in Jimmy's dads's store there were cans of corn on the shelf that were of a budget brand that are in Kroger stores. The product labels are white and say "Psst" and have an owl on them. They couldn't possibly have been in a corner store in the 1970s. I started seeing them only in the last couple of years.

I want Omar to be my assistant. He is so cute and sweet!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4

I noticed that in Jimmy's dads's store there were cans of corn on the shelf that were of a budget brand that are in Kroger stores. The product labels are white and say "Psst" and have an owl on them. They couldn't possibly have been in a corner store in the 1970s. I started seeing them only in the last couple of years.

I want Omar to be my assistant. He is so cute and sweet!

Hah!

But Jiffy baking mixes are still around and they've been around forever.

• Love 3

While I will concede that this is a bit more important when making a flashback scene like tonight's intro, it's still a minor detail. This show's attention to small details is its own worst enemy sometimes. Like last week, when Mike's Staples bag had the current slogan on it.

Once again, I find myself more interested in Mike's story and what he's thinking of outside of the Salamanca HQ than Jimmy's reaction to Kim's Wexler and McGill suggestion.

I wasn't sure what Mike was looking for when he was watching the HQ.  I guess it will be clear next week.  I mean, he knows someone from the family will be there -- so what is he trying to see that's out of the ordinary? 

Edited by Sherry67

Once again, I find myself more interested in Mike's story and what he's thinking of outside of the Salamanca HQ than Jimmy's reaction to Kim's Wexler and McGill suggestion.

Mike did as he was told by Tio, then set about the long and tedious work of figuring out the Salamanca clan's daily comings and goings. If he's gonna make Hector's stroke look like an accident, he needs to be thorough.

• Love 6
The Albuquerque real estate market was trending downwards long before the market collapsed. The amount of equity accrued by homeowners hit a peak for Albuquerque around 2002 and slowly declined until the bottom fell out in 2007.

http://www.fortunebuilders.com/albuquerque-real-estate-and-market-trends/

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/stories/2002/12/23/focus2.html

The median price for a home was $133,000 compared to a median income of $49,000.

I bet Mike's looking for work with the Hector.  He's got a house to pay off now.

• Love 1

ok, doing the rewatch, and in the category of "its the little things" for $200 Alex . . . 

When Jimmy unzips the garment bag to reveal his new, colorful shirts, there are seven shirts in, literally, every color of the rainbow. . . in ROYGBIV order . . . ! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 14

Should have had more of this Saul much sooner. That's the Saul I was tuning in for from the beginning. DIdn't really need two seasons to build up to it.

Also didn't really need a whole season for this arc for Kim either.

There is a remarkably similar scene in Mr Robot to the one at the beginning of this one with Jimmy and his dad. But the Mr Robot one, the kid was stealing from a customer and the dad defended him to the customer anyway. But it was the same message : are you a wolf/sheep in this world.

I never have watched BB, but I was wondering if Saul's name was ever discussed from the idea that Jimmy came up with the name as a play on, "it'S ALL GOOD MAN." No? Just me? I'll see myself out now. ;)

That is where the name came from. It's referenced somewhere, either on here or in the podcasts.

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4

It's all good man was never referenced in

BB, but Jimmy used it when a guy he was conning asked him his name in a flashback in season 1 of BCS

• Love 2

Jimmy trying to get fired was reminding me a lot of George Costanza and "Play Now." Although in that case, the boss was the one to ruin the bathroom. That Erin is such a kiss ass. "We're not talking about a Number One, either."

I feel for Kim. I'm going through the whole trying to get out of my job thing. A family member just quit her old job for the job she really wanted. I imagine the quitting part has to be so satisfying.

So, Jimmy stole money, but the grifters probably conned him out of more. And $4 for a carton of cigarettes. That would almost make it worth building a time machine.

• Love 5

I bet Mike's looking for work with the Hector.  He's got a house to pay off now.

Speaking of Albuquerque real estate. The agent who sold Mike's DiL the house is the same one that Marie Schrader ran into during her kleptomaniac stint at open houses.

Should have had more of this Saul much sooner. That's the Saul I was tuning in for from the beginning. DIdn't really need two seasons to build up to it.

Also didn't really need a whole season for this arc for Kim either.

Couldn't disagree more. I love the gradual build-up. Having said that, tonight was a much needed splash of colour.

• Love 18

Jimmy trying to get fired was reminding me a lot of George Costanza and "Play Now." Although in that case, the boss was the one to ruin the bathroom. That Erin is such a kiss ass. "We're not talking about a Number One, either."

I feel for Kim. I'm going through the whole trying to get out of my job thing. A family member just quit her old job for the job she really wanted. I imagine the quitting part has to be so satisfying.

So, Jimmy stole money, but the grifters probably conned him out of more. And $4 for a carton of cigarettes. That would almost make it worth building a time machine.

It made me think of George as well. He ruins an old Yankees uniform eating ribs, drags the World Series trophy around the parking lot.

And yeah $4 a cartoon? Seems awfully low even for way back then. Now the taxes alone on a carton are more than that.

And in the same regard, did she say $15000 in law school debt. THat is NOTHING. My med school debt from graduating 15 years ago is still more than that.

Still find it hard to believe no one is behind this offer for Kim from the other group. Or I kept thinking they are setting her up, she is going to quit too soon and then the job falls through.

I liked how she changed her letter from I regret to inform you to I am obligated to inform you, or however she stated it

• Love 2

It made me think of George as well. He ruins an old Yankees uniform eating ribs, drags the World Series trophy around the parking lot.

And yeah $4 a cartoon? Seems awfully low even for way back then. Now the taxes alone on a carton are more than that.

And in the same regard, did she say $15000 in law school debt. THat is NOTHING. My med school debt from graduating 15 years ago is still more than that.

Still find it hard to believe no one is behind this offer for Kim from the other group. Or I kept thinking they are setting her up, she is going to quit too soon and then the job falls through.

I liked how she changed her letter from I regret to inform you to I am obligated to inform you, or however she stated it

I think it was "it is my duty to inform you."

I plan to put in two weeks notice if I ever leave, but if I get any crap, I might forfeit my vacation time and leave them high and dry instead.

• Love 2

I liked this ep much better than last wk's. I haven't seen BB so all those references pass me by

and I only learn about them here. This ep was more fun and had more Jimmy - it was Odenkirk

who made me want to watch this in the first place. Loved the montage with the dancing blowup

doll man and Jimmy's awesome new warddrobe. Would like to watch that on a loop.

As mentioned above, amazing casting of Jimmy's dad, even down to the voice/accent.

Yeah, for me it feels like I've been slogging across this dry and dusty desert for weeks now, my canteen was empty after last week's episode, and my feet are sore and basically, getting annoyed.

Tonight we stumbled into a colorful oasis!  I hope to hell we can stay there now, and drink our fill.

• Love 3

I love that Jimmy took his inspiration for his exit strategy from Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Guy. The montage of the blindingly loud clothes and escalating annoying behavior had me rolling. I also like that Cliff saw what he was doing but the show didn't go the cheap maudlin route of Cliff trying to be the understanding boss helping him through it or finding something admirably spunky about it. "You're an asshole." Indeed.

If Kim goes into practice for herself how does she plan on getting out from under her school debt to HHM?

I like that the flashback of young Jimmy and his father who was an apparent mark to everyone proved Chuck both right and wrong.

• Love 9

"Still find it hard to believe no one is behind this offer for Kim from the other group."

I'm with you on this...all of it is too easy, too convenient. Interesting though that Kim never gave the name of the town she grew up in, and it gave her pause when they questioned her directly. Does make you wonder exactly what she left behind. I don't think Kim is quite the straight arrow she has been working on becoming over the last ten years...and this is the clue that there is a backstory here that is worth her while to conceal.

Also a nice freudian slip in calling Rich, Howard.

So, Jimmy bags Davis and Main and keeps his bonus. Well played. But, they still have the Sandpiper biz that he brought in, so they come out ahead anyways. And Jimmy really had to get out of there, he was suffocating.

Mike's play is more interesting...is he trailing the Tio op for leverage, or a move against them or exactly what. Still not sure, but his dissing Jimmy was uncalled for...Jimmy did decent lawyering for him...that he didn't want to face what he did in recanting his gun testimony is on him, not Jimmy.

• Love 6

I like that the flashback of young Jimmy and his father who was an apparent mark to everyone proved Chuck both right and wrong.

True. I was disappointed to see Jimmy put the money in his pocket, but it makes sense. His dad was a sweetheart. A sap but a sweetheart.

Interesting though that Kim never gave the name of the town she grew up in, and it gave her pause when they questioned her directly. Does make you wonder exactly what she left behind. I don't think Kim is quite the straight arrow she has been working on becoming over the last ten years...and this is the clue that there is a backstory here that is worth her while to conceal.

Yes, I was surprised that Kim seemed to be hiding information about herself. Rich's ears certainly caught that she wouldn't say the name of the town. I'm eager to find out what's up with her.

Jimmy being inspired by the wind dancer (I think that's the name, or one of the names) was great. The montage was a lot of fun.

That is a really nice house that Stacy found. Too nice imo. I mean, I don't think she needed to get such a big, fancy house in order to get into a good neighborhood. Anyway, I'll need to rewatch this scene because I thought there was someone in Mike's car in that shot where we see him and Stacey talking in the driveway. Or, as someone said here, maybe someone passed by.

• Love 1

That inflatable tube man killed me.  Every single time it showed up, I about died laughing, and it alone made the montage one of my favorites of the series (and even Breaking Bad.)  I don't know what exactly they did, but it just worked for me on every level.  The entire "Jimmy gets himself fired" scene was made of win, from the bagpipes, to not flushing the toilet and proudly admitting it, right down to the blender.  And even got a finally dig at Erin.  On the other hand, Omar got a nice final moment by helping him move back to the nail salon.  He seems like a decent fellow.  I hope he ends up being a success.

So, just went it looks like Kim is going to join the other firm, Jimmy shows up and offers her the chance to work together as partners.  Instead, Kim more or less counteroffers, by saying that they can share the same building/office, but be their own firms, so he practice law his way, and she can hers.  Jimmy clearly is disappointed by it, but I have a feeling he'll agree to it.  More importantly though, I have a bad feeling this is going to end up crashing and burning in spectacular fashion, and might even doom Jimmy and Kim.

Not much of Mike in this one, but I'm glad it seems like he's keeping any eye on the Salamancas.  Also liked the brief scene with Jimmy, because those two haven't interact as much as they did last season.  Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks really play off each other well.

The flashback somehow manages to prove that Chuck was both right and wrong, in that Jimmy at least pocketed some money, but it really looks like it was their dad who was at fault, because he kept letting himself get tricked by every grifter and con artist on the planet, even after Young Jimmy told him what was going on.  I always had a feeling Jimmy's dad would be like this.  Raphael Sbarge was a pretty great choice for the role.

• Love 3

While I will concede that this is a bit more important when making a flashback scene like tonight's intro, it's still a minor detail. This show's attention to small details is its own worst enemy sometimes. Like last week, when Mike's Staples bag had the current slogan on it.

I didn't say it was a big deal. It just briefly took me out of the moment because those labels are so recognizable (and white!) if you shop at Kroger. Del Monte cans would have been better even with modern labels.

I understand Jimmy. One reason I left the law was I couldn't be myself.

I thought Jimmy was going to buy an accordion, but the bagpipe was an inspired choice. If you have ever been in a room with someone playing a bagpipe, you know how it feels to think your eardrums will burst.

Personally, I enjoyed Jimmy McGill and have not been too anxious to see him go full Saul Goodman for a while now.

I wonder if the inflatable also gave him the idea for the Statue of Liberty inflatable that will be on top of his office in BB.

Kim seems to have some secret past she doesn't want the new firm to know about. I can't think of any other reason she would not mention the name of her home town.

Omar is a great assistant. I hope Jimmy can hire him away at some point. He could give the firm the kind of class Jimmy tries to fake with his phoney receptionist voice.

• Love 6

The more I think about it, I think Mike is scoping out the whole business, and the players, when they come and go.  The more he knows, the better off he is, the safer Kaylie is.  I think it's more than that though, and at this point I will be truly shocked if we don't see Hector's eventual enemy, Gus Fring show up pretty soon.

Gus can provide the well organized and lucrative money making machine Mike needs.  So, it's a matter of time, and woo, we may see how all of that came together, what Gus was like before he completely crushed Hector, and how Mike and Gus got started.  Finale maybe?

For the first time I can remember I wanted to tell Mike to STFU. Get over yourself Dude, if you are too good to ride in an elevator with Jimmy, find yourself a new lawyer to clean up your messes.

I saw it as self-preservation. That he thought it unwise to be seen being chummy with Jimmy--which, if I am right, is a parallel for Kim later only agreeing to be Wexler AND McGill. But you may be right. Mike seemed pretty pissed off with Jimmy.

So . . . when Jimmy was back in the nail salon and recording his voice mail message, did anyone else think (HOPE?) the outgoing message he was going to record -- after he decided against his "British assistant" -- was "you have reached the offices of Saul Goodman . . . " I could hear it . . .I swear I could!

You probably heard me thinking it out loud. Heh. Edited by shapeshifter

It confuses me how someone with the precocious emotional intelligence to read conmen as a kid... who is capable of running his own clever improvised cons at the drop of a hat, can simultaneously be so consistently blindsided by the reactions of his lover.  I mean I get the whole "love is blind" yadda yadda thing... but his confusion is so incongruous that I wonder sometimes if they're doing the old Prestige twin switching game.  He should be elated about Kim's compromise idea... and if all he truly wants is to be together then he should just ask her to marry him.  Of course maybe he already has... and the plot twist is that her secret marriage to the gas station guy is keeping her from saying yes.

Edited by Sentient Meat
  • Love 2

I was tingling when I saw Jimmy's smile in the car as he pulled away from the inflatable.  That was such a wonderful grin, portending who knows how much fun and hijinks?!  

Will we be adding to the lexicon the "ABQ Bowl?"

Kim's made her bed now.  I do not want to hear one complaint out of her.  She got a dream offer from the time she was a Hinky Dinker.  

Cliff really was good to Jimmy.  He made a stupendous error bringing him in as a 6th year Associate, though.   The firm is going to come out way ahead of any compensation they have paid to Jimmy.  No smokers will be held to benefit Davis & Main.

Was there ever any hint of Omar in BrBa?  I have a strong feeling we will be seeing him again.  I sure hope we do.  

I doubt very much that we've heard the last from the prosecutors who were not thrilled with Mike's recantations.  I bet we could have a fabulous thread just on what we would spec that Mike was thinking of saying as he got up to leave and regarded them.   I think he was embarrassed by Jimmy's performance.

What beverage did Jimmy grab from the beyotch 4th year and toss into the trash?  Is it a local New Mexico thang?  

I'm thinking these developments are good news for the court clerk who loves her some furries!  

The meteoric pace of Kim's arc notwithstanding, I thought this was a fantastic ep.

• Love 1

That seems about right to me. A quick Google turns up that cigarettes were an average of 50 cents per pack in the mid-1970s, and usually buying a carton saves you something on the per-pack.  

Oh, those inflatable tube men. There was one outside of my gym until recently, blowing around with that idiotic expression, and I always thought, "Why? Why?" They make me want to hit someone.  

I love Kim, and have since early in the first season. I think she's absolutely the perfect personal/professional foil and BFF/love interest for Jimmy, responsible and diligent but with a side of her that likes to take chances and is tempted against her better nature. And I like her voice. I thought Rhea Seehorn was wonderful in the interview scene this episode. It's the kind of performance that is easy to underrate, because "understated" is the way to go with that character; there just aren't other options. But when she was answering the partners' questions, you could see all the wheels turning. She was also very eloquent with her face and her posture in the smoking scene, when she tore the card (which, by the way, was a gorgeously composed shot, in an episode with several of them).  

Minority opinion: Seeing Jimmy trying to get fired was kind of painful, and my sympathies were with his boss. I actually may have preferred the full Costanza treatment, where everything he does to alienate his bosses makes them like him more. I hope we see more of Omar, anyway. Erin can stay gone.   

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 9

Oh...the balls on ol' Jimmy.  Loved those suits!!  

Wow, Mike DIL is coming off more and more manipulative.  Really?  You knew this house was out of your range, but you just randomly decided to bring your FIL to see it anyways?  

Wonder what Mike is planning for the Salamancas?  Is it going to cause Hector's stroke?

Minority opinion: Seeing Jimmy trying to get fired was kind of painful, and my sympathies were with his boss. I actually may have preferred the full Costanza treatment, where everything he does to alienate his bosses makes them like him more. I hope we see more of Omar, anyway. Erin can stay gone.   

I felt only a twinge of pain, right up until Clifford Davis was like "what did I do to deserve this?" and pointed out that it was his fault in giving Jimmy a second chance that put him in this position.....than I felt kinda bad.  But....those suits were a treat!

• Love 2