Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Jinger Flips

• Start Topic

(edited)

If they are going to continue making this show and pretending that it is real, I wish they would dig a little deeper. Instead of 20 minutes of showing Ben as a bumbling idiot, tell us what some of their beliefs are and how they reconcile that in the real world. Supposedly there is a recommendation that newlyweds spend more time together at the beginning of the marriage and that neither should work in that time frame. So if Jessa and Ben did that, how did they make ends meet?

Ben is seen leaving and coming home quite a bit. So tell us is he working. If so, doing what? Does he have goals and plans?

Instead of doing what feel like Christian Mingle - Marry my daughter ads, show us what the girls really do. Is Jana taking up the slack on the buddy train with two married sisters? Does Jinger help? Have they thrown buddy system out the window? How are Jana and Jinger coping at home with the work (plus the added crap of helping Jessa)?

So they want to show us Anna is doing better. Okay...how is she prepping for her husband's release? Did she get rid of all computers and smart phones he would have access to? Did she password protect them? How are they planning to survive with no jobs? What have they said to their kids about his absence? What have they said about living with the Duggars?

​Quit calling Josh's issue as one of bad choices. He molested children and cheated on his wife. Instead of being vague about it, get real and honest. I would rather see Anna be conflicted or real about her feelings than hear her pretend that Josh is just down the block and busy.

When the show was just a series of specials instead of a weekly episodic type thing, the draw was how does a family with that many children do the every day living. How do you grocery shop? educate? discipline? travel with? care for? etc. Those questions have been answered (truthfully or not). So to me there is no premise for the show. If I want to watch uneducated and unemployed idiots raise a baby, I can watch my cousins.

Great minds think alike! I wrote a similar post in the Media thread prior to reading this one.

ETA: responded before I read the mod post. My apologies.

Edited by GeeGolly

Finally saw the episode and I agree with what others have said. Like....

*Jinger said "her" friends had the type of car she bought - What friends?  I want names and addresses

*Anna said "check his social media" to make sure "he" is watching the kids - I thought that this family was against "worldly things - social media is as worldly as you can get!

*JD has checked out "Fellas" who have been interested in Jana?  Again I want names!!

*Jinger and Jana did something on their own - along with four brothers that "tagged" along, made all the decisions, spoke for them, and took over!

I just don't get this family - 

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm watching the Bonus Scenes episode. I learned something new. According to Anna, small amounts of caffeine are good for the baby cuz they gave caffeine to Josie when she was a preemie in hospital to help with her lungs. Jessa went on to say not all babies are affected if mom drinks caffeine. Jessa claims she drinks one cup of coffee/caffeine a week & Anna claims she has her fair share. I guess this goes along with Jessa's "butter is good" comment from the feast episode. Maybe they can start a segment on health & dietary tips from the Duggars......

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 3

There is no hard and fast rule about caffeine and pregnancy. It's recommended that you cut back, and some people cut it out completely, but there is no dire warning against caffeine like there is for alcohol. And they do give caffeine in the NICU, but I can't remember if it's for the lungs or for the heart.

• Love 2

There is no hard and fast rule about caffeine and pregnancy. It's recommended that you cut back, and some people cut it out completely, but there is no dire warning against caffeine like there is for alcohol. And they do give caffeine in the NICU, but I can't remember if it's for the lungs or for the heart.

I think it's been suggested in a pinch for folks having an asthma attack if they have no inhaler handy, thus I'd say lungs.

• Love 1

I should have added this to my post. It wasn't so much that caffeine is safe or not. No mention was made that Anna or Jessa spoke with their Drs. or pediatricians (do they even go to the Drs?) Or read something on the internet about caffeine. It was just their reasoning that since preemie Josie was given caffeine, it's fine.

• Love 1

It's so bad to not realize that something given to a sick infant as medicine while on monitors has nothing to do with the safety or reasonableness of giving it to an unmonitored healthy infant.

• Love 1
(edited)

Coffee is the least of these wackadoodle's problems.

We have electrical work being done with the power still on..we have kids licking fans in Zika-ville, we have dust bunnies the size of basketballs under beds, we have people who cant see driving kids around in motorized vehicles, we have heavy construction being done and supervised by a crew of SOTDRT graduates, we have kids falling into orchestra pits and being filmed as they practically seize from head injuries, we have menopausal crazy bitches trying to have JUST ONE MORE, which resulted in one being buried in a gun ammo box on the teevee and the other one licking everything she sees and seizing on a counter in her underoos.

I ain't worried about coffee, people. In fact, I'll make them a pot myself.

Great summary  of the last couple of years of the Duggar madness we have witnessed.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

Great summary of the last couple of years of the Duggar madness we have witnessed.

I'm secretly hoping that In Touch or the Inquisitor or The Fucked Up Fundy Times quotes me, cus I'm tired of working. I'm gonna up my game here. .haha! !
  • Love 7

I'm secretly hoping that In Touch or the Inquisitor or The Fucked Up Fundy Times quotes me, cus I'm tired of working. I'm gonna up my game here. .haha! !

BRB, going to start a new blog. 

• Love 4

If the Duggars are willing to fake a scene, I am sure the Bates are willing to do the same thing to make themselves look good. I do not buy the ole the Bates are a better All-American family compare to the Duggars. I am sure there are some things the Bates would not want the world to know especially when it comes to their religious and political views. I call total bs when any family tries to pretend everything is peachy keen 24/7 on and off television.

Agreed. I totally get, and agree with, that Gil and Kelly come across as far less annoying than Boob and Mechelle. I find myself liking them despite what I know of their Gothard ties. But beliefs-wise, they're more or less identical to the Duggars.

The Bible takes a certain forced blinkered view to enjoy.

I think the show could be spiced up with pyramids of shame and rose ceremonies and eliminations back into the the TTH. At the very least, don't make these people shoot their scenes in the freezing yard because JimChelle are inside the TTH. Rent the J18+'s a house. I wanna see who is a lazy pig, who's the bossy one etc.

Ha. As funny as that is, a setup like that would be even more fake and contrived than their show already is.

Do you think the Duggars knew that was an actor and were in on the set up?

I watched it again (briefly) and I think they had no clue. TLC set it up for them. Certainly this realty show trickery has been played before.

I just don't think the Duugars were smart enough to act. They can barely speak on camera.

I tend to agree. In an attempt to make it more authentic, TLC probably did convince them that they'd found a real potential buyer. (I still think the later "deal" was Boob buying the car from Jinger to give to Joyanna. It was probably what was going to happen all along, but the producers added a bunch of fakery to try to make an interesting show.)

• Love 2

I'm watching the Bonus Scenes episode. I learned something new. According to Anna, small amounts of caffeine are good for the baby cuz they gave caffeine to Josie when she was a preemie in hospital to help with her lungs. Jessa went on to say not all babies are affected if mom drinks caffeine. Jessa claims she drinks one cup of coffee/caffeine a week & Anna claims she has her fair share. I guess this goes along with Jessa's "butter is good" comment from the feast episode. Maybe they can start a segment on health & dietary tips from the Duggars......

Let's not give them any ideas. The next thing you know Jessa will be trying to compete with Auntie Fee for the YouTube video cook crown.

BRB, going to start a new blog. 

I just want you to know that I read this, completely lost it at my desk and now my co-workers are wondering if I'm nuts. LOL.

• Love 2

What is the deal with feeding Spurgeon?  Can Jessa not express a bottle of milk for Ben to feed to him while she is gone?  She actually has to rush home if he gets hungry?  Really?

She can express it, but that doesn't mean that the baby will accept it.  Not all babies learn to use a bottle, as the way you get milk out of a bottle and the way you get it out of a breast are different; the flow rates are different, etc.  One of our kids was very hit-or-miss with accepting bottles, and another one never did.  I know other people who had to have their babies brought to them at work so the baby could eat.

It's possible that Spurgeon is one of those babies and that Ben isn't comfortable feeding a baby with a cup or a dropper.  In which case, yes, either the baby goes with her, she uses a wet nurse, or she has to go home to feed the baby.

• Love 4

She can express it, but that doesn't mean that the baby will accept it.  Not all babies learn to use a bottle, as the way you get milk out of a bottle and the way you get it out of a breast are different; the flow rates are different, etc.  One of our kids was very hit-or-miss with accepting bottles, and another one never did.  I know other people who had to have their babies brought to them at work so the baby could eat.

It's possible that Spurgeon is one of those babies and that Ben isn't comfortable feeding a baby with a cup or a dropper.  In which case, yes, either the baby goes with her, she uses a wet nurse, or she has to go home to feed the baby.

Agree. Granddaughter was that way. A problem. Finally daughter in law found a device that looked like a boob and baby took that. But didn't really get a good feed.

• Love 1

The thing is, they could have told the audience that Spooge didn't take to the bottle as a means to get Jessa home in a timely fashion. But they didn't, so they left themselves open for this line of questioning.

• Love 7

The thing is, they could have told the audience that Spooge didn't take to the bottle as a means to get Jessa home in a timely fashion. But they didn't, so they left themselves open for this line of questioning.

And given that we know TLC monitors every word written about the show in order to create those delightful FU internet moments, you'd think they'd try to avoid anything that might further the idea that Jessa is an attention hog out to make herself look indispensable by overdramatizing the need for her to stay within two miles of Spur at all times and be on the alert to Rush! Home! Dramatically! at any moment,  lest Spur die of hunger in Ben's arms.  

A simple, one sentence explanation could have prevented anyone from questioning things and created the impression Ben and Jessa are very dedicated parents who are patiently making sacrifices for the benefit of Spur.  Instead, they just came across as dim and disorganized. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 4

I'm not going to criticize a new mom for wanting to be near her newborn. I'm especially not going to criticize Michelle's daughter for actually caring where her child is.

Watched with the daughter in law today. We don't get to do that often since we live far apart. We both said that it appears that Miss Jessa Blessa has bonded well with her child and maybe she just wants to be the one to feed him - because he needs her and she can. Am I being too naive with that thought??

• Love 5

Watched with the daughter in law today. We don't get to do that often since we live far apart. We both said that it appears that Miss Jessa Blessa has bonded well with her child and maybe she just wants to be the one to feed him - because he needs her and she can. Am I being too naive with that thought??

I don't think you are being naive. I think that Jessa, giving how she is the schoolmarm and the family organizer, probably likes more than most to feel needed. She probably likes to feel it all couldn't happen without her.

• Love 2
On 4/6/2016 at 11:48 AM, Absolom said:

Dust bunnies don't worry me over caffeine and infants. :) 

LOL, I don't know - all three make me wonder. Every time they talk about home births I shudder. Just get me somewhere relatively sterile, please.