Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Jaylin & Ja'la

Well...that was anticlimactic.

And who was she at the diner eating breakfast with??? Her instagram said she was with her "bae", right? Isn't that young people talk for significant other? They did ask her if she had a boyfriend and she said no, but they never asked her who she was eating with that she referred to her "bae" just a few minutes before.

• Love 7

Well...that was anticlimactic.

And who was she at the diner eating breakfast with??? Her instagram said she was with her "bae", right? Isn't that young people talk for significant other? They did ask her if she had a boyfriend and she said no, but they never asked her who she was eating with that she referred to her "bae" just a few minutes before.

I wondered about that too, who was she eating with? I think this guy was stupid to even think about moving without even talking to her (loved "RU home, turn on a light" LOL) & who so obviously was avoiding meeting him, but then "stupid' seems to be the overwhelming characteristic of people on this show. 

• Love 3

Yet another episode where I think the couple used Catfish for a free meet-up with paid airfare and hotel.  When Jaylin was angry and  all "I wasted three years waiting for you...blah blah blah", I was like, DUDE, you stayed in this relationship and continued to want to meet her, hence contacting Catfish, so what are you all up in arms about?  You met her, and she is who she said she is!  Acting at its finest.

Catfish is getting fishier and fishier.  I think they're so desperate for stories that they're grabbing any BS story they can.  If you want to meet someone far away without having to pay for anything, and be on TV, contact Catfish and pretend that you think you're being catfished!

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 5

I think this may have been the first time in the history of the show where the catfish-ee seemed disappointed that it turned out to be the real person.  And she was flaky as hell.

And yeah...Nev and Max are into the 'easy to scam' phase of their show.

• Love 5

While watching Nev read off Jaylin's email, the fact that he'd misspelled the name of his "true love" jumped out at me (I see by the recap Tara noticed it too). With such an inattention to detail, I have to wonder if Jaylin's role as videogame developer is mostly just to test-play what his partner writes.

My DVR was like the car insurance commercial. I forgot to set it to end 1 minute later and it cut off just as the followup came on. So, please tell me what happened at the end. Thank you.

If only there were a link in this thread to a pretty exhaustive post about the episode. ...hey!

Mine cut off too, so I was so glad to read that Jaylin realized how annoying Ja'La is and moved on. It seems that only communicating via text did Ja'la's (oy with all the apostrophes) personality a lot of favors.

• Love 1

Ja'la was so annoying, I'm pretty sure if they'd talked on the phone or met in person, Jaylin would have lost interest in her a long time ago. I am not sure I believe she was capable of being more intelligent in texts, but maybe it wasn't her brains he was interested in.

I liked the business partner/friend. He was nicely outraged by the stupidity of the situation, and not pretending otherwise. You know it's bad when even Nev comes out and bluntly says: "you know it's a catfish you're talking to" right in the beginning. Max has been over the show for a while, but Nev seems to be there now, to, and not hiding it anymore.

• Love 5

Ja'la was so annoying, I'm pretty sure if they'd talked on the phone or met in person, Jaylin would have lost interest in her a long time ago. I am not sure I believe she was capable of being more intelligent in texts, but maybe it wasn't her brains he was interested in.

I liked the business partner/friend. He was nicely outraged by the stupidity of the situation, and not pretending otherwise. You know it's bad when even Nev comes out and bluntly says: "you know it's a catfish you're talking to" right in the beginning. Max has been over the show for a while, but Nev seems to be there now, to, and not hiding it anymore.

I was over her when she said, "look I'm CUTE."  Not that cute dear.  She seemed very immature and probably liked the idea of different guys all wanting her.

I think both Nev and Max are now just stunned at the stupidity.  I for one don't get it when someone says they've been "dating" something they have never seen or spoken to.  Isn't dating about getting to know someone?  How can do you do that if you've never seen the person?  You're not dating, you're pen pals.

• Love 7

I'm of the opinion that Max & Nev are just rolling with the remaining time on their contract with this show.  Max has movie stuff going on and Nev has another show altogether, so I think they're just marking time.

Going through the motions and signing up the least offensive, least ludicrous and nicest looking scammers that write in looking for the freebies.  

It's just like what happened with the show "Bridezillas" and a few others.  The first 2 seasons are great because people don't know the deal and it's actually spontaneous.  But then the realization hits and they have to be scripted so people can have their outrageous 15 minutes of fame to keep the ratings up.  Then it becomes transparently bogus and everybody looks like an idiot.  

This show has definitely hit it's expiration date.  NEXT! 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

Yeah, gotta go with you guys on this...

All these people have seen the show, they know what Nev and Max do to find the people and it isn't exactly rocket science.

Not to mention, someone says they love you so much and want you to move across the country to be with them, yet won't talk to you on the phone or video chat...well, that has to be one hell of a large red flag to any rational person.

This show has just fallen in to the category of 99% of other reality shows...most likely fake/scripted and I just watch it for entertainment at face value.

Edited by Jenkins
  • Love 2

You know it's bad when even Nev comes out and bluntly says: "you know it's a catfish you're talking to" right in the beginning. Max has been over the show for a while, but Nev seems to be there now, to, and not hiding it anymore.

That's when I knew something was up. Nev saying that this was an obvious catfish, and Max saying that it must be a guy using a girl's pictures (to explain why they never talked on the phone) -- they were trying to create dramatic suspense for the "twist" of it NOT being a catfish. It was nothing but a girl stringing a guy along and lying about a boyfriend she didn't want boyfriend #2 to know about. That's a crappy thing to do, but it really doesn't have anything to do with being catfished.

• Love 3

The Jaylin kid makes YouTube videos and has several million hits on Vine. Surprised he wasn't tech savvy enough to run a Google search...

Anyway, even though Ja'la was completely obnoxious and wrong I had to side eye Jaylin going off about stringing him along for 3 years. Yes she lied and played with his emotions, but it wasn't ALL her. He was texting a stranger essentially for 3 years, and could've stopped at any time. It's not just Jaylin that does this but most of the catfishees during the confrontation. No pictures, FaceTime, or even a phone call in 3 years...Jaylin, bud, you know that's not a real relationship. 

• Love 5

Yet another episode where I think the couple used Catfish for a free meet-up with paid airfare and hotel.  When Jaylin was angry and  all "I wasted three years waiting for you...blah blah blah", I was like, DUDE, you stayed in this relationship and continued to want to meet her, hence contacting Catfish, so what are you all up in arms about?  You met her, and she is who she said she is!  Acting at its finest.

Catfish is getting fishier and fishier.  I think they're so desperate for stories that they're grabbing any BS story they can.  If you want to meet someone far away without having to pay for anything, and be on TV, contact Catfish and pretend that you think you're being catfished!

Wasn't there a girl a while back that enlisted her friend to help her with some sort of catfish scam so she could get on the show and tell the world she was gay?  I only remember her because she was so very angry even though she had purposefully misled Max and Nev.  

• Love 2

Yet another episode where I think the couple used Catfish for a free meet-up with paid airfare and hotel.  

That's what I'm thinking too.  None of this adds up.  I get her not wanting to get more serious with Jaylin while she had a boyfriend and that talking would create a bigger bond, but I don't think she was with that guy for the entire 3 years???  And then at the end he said she should come visit in Ohio.  She said she can't afford to.  So she can't afford to go see her family who I'm sure live in Ohio??  Dang girl, get a part time job if your family is so poor they can't afford to fly you back home once in awhile. 

Wasn't there a girl a while back that enlisted her friend to help her with some sort of catfish scam so she could get on the show and tell the world she was gay?  I only remember her because she was so very angry even though she had purposefully misled Max and Nev.  

Yep. Last season I believe.

Ja'la's personality did not fit her photos what so ever.  She looks older and more mature in her photos.  So she was what, maybe 18? Jaylin was 20 and when they first met she didn't think her parents would approve because he was 2 years older? whatever....  

Wonder how she feels about Max calling her ratchet lol  (when looking up the twitter account).

• Love 4

When Max brought up one of the alternate pronunciations for Ja'la's name, was that a wink at knowing more than they were pretending? They hadn't talked to Jaylin yet, so how did Nev know the right way? In early episodes he wouldn't; that seems to have changed but I hadn't noticed until Max's comment.

• Love 1

I'm of the opinion that Max & Nev are just rolling with the remaining time on their contract with this show.  Max has movie stuff going on and Nev has another show altogether, so I think they're just marking time.

I will be so shocked if Suspect gets a second season. IT IS TURRIBLE.

How did it end? My DVR cut off so I missed it.

Ask ethalfrida.

• Love 3

^^^ Agree.  It's as badly acted, scripted and edited as Catfish.  I only made it through 22 minutes of the first episode.  I don't think it has much chance, even though I think MTV loves Nev.  

• Love 1

What the hell does "I'm more popular than a condom" mean? I was laughing at that when I watched. And I wouldn't trust Ja'la (ugh) any further than I could throw her.

• Love 3

What the hell does "I'm more popular than a condom" mean?

Web searches come up empty, but one can speculate. The popular perception of condoms is that everybody hates them, but often put up with them to get laid. So, I guess she's saying that if Jaylin doesn't want to put up with her BS in return for what she has to offer, she won't have any trouble finding someone else who will.

This episode was so boring. Maybe its because I'm getting older and now 20 year olds seem like babies to me but I just felt like I was watching a high school relationship unfold--that still didn't make any sense. Like, I still have questions... I REALLY want to know who the hell Ja'la was having breakfast with (who was bae?), why the multiple social media accounts, does she never go home to Ohio?

I was mostly just distracted at her unusually long baby hair on her forehead and her insistence that she was just so cute and irresistible. 

• Love 2

This episode was so boring. Maybe its because I'm getting older and now 20 year olds seem like babies to me but I just felt like I was watching a high school relationship unfold--that still didn't make any sense. Like, I still have questions... I REALLY want to know who the hell Ja'la was having breakfast with (who was bae?), why the multiple social media accounts, does she never go home to Ohio?

I was mostly just distracted at her unusually long baby hair on her forehead and her insistence that she was just so cute and irresistible. 

I think it was a setup by her and Jaylin to make it look like he was being catfished so they could get on the show and get a freebie meeting, not necessarily in that order.  The show has been on so long that people know exactly what to do to fake a catfish, and real catfishers know how to avoid being caught catfishing.  I don't think we'll be seeing anymore real catfish situations.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 2

I was so happy when Ja'la admitted to being the girl Jaylin had been speaking to because Jaylin wasn't having her lies and baloney.  He straight up was angry because she'd avoided him and lied about having a boyfriend. He was angry at her, in spite of the fact that she turned out to be the person in the photos  and not a fat chick/dude, like most of them.  I was SO PROUD of him.  I was all self-righteous on my husband--I kept telling him that Jaylin was smart because he saw through the "cute chick" facade..

When buddy woke up the next morning and decided that perhaps he'd been hasty in his decision, I KNEW it was ALL OVER.  Once again, buddy's upstairs brain was overtaken by his downstairs brain.....SMH.

Of course some smashing happened (that erased everything) until the Snapchat incident.   Let's hope that Jaylin doesn't get roped in by preacher's little playa again!

On March 27, 2016 at 4:15 PM, kylies-lips said:

I kept wondering if that forehead hair was a tattoo!

Edited by deSchenke
spelling
  • Love 1