Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Queen For Two Days

I hope she burns the shit out of Adam, it'll serve him right especially since I think he only got with Jessa to hurt Hannah. And for what? Someone tell me what Hannah did to him... Didn't she go to his play, he yelled at her like she was a dog, she left for Iowa, came back and he was with that Rose girl in their apartment....Where in all this was Hannah spiteful to him? Because annoying which she is, and spiteful which she isn't IMO, are two different things.

Yeah, I think the whole hook-up between Adam and Jessa is bullshit. And I think it's super crazy for him to spend money putting her through college. Fuck that. Even if the sex is good (and my guess is Adam is sprung off the fact that she lets him finish inside of her), maybe she'll get a textbook or so. But welcome to real, adult world, Jessa, where student loans are a way of life. Her sister had the right idea.

I think Lena Dunham is going to turn forty and realize how silly she looks on this show sometimes. You'll probably see an interview with her where she doesn't exactly regret her nudity on Girls, but she wouldn't do something like that now.

After Shoshanna screwed over her boyfriend, I couldn't take her ditziness. It's nice that they wrote her as miserable in Japan, because, you know, fucking someone over is only part of it. Living with being a girl who fucked someone over is the other part.

Is Charlie back next week?

• Love 3

And also, my first thought when she ran into someone unexpected during the preview was that Charlie is going to randomly overcome his Lena Dunham hate to deliver Marnie's much needed wake up call that none of her friends have been capable of. And now I'm counting down the minutes until next week's episode. For a Marnie plot. Help.

Charlie hates Lena Dunham?  I didn't know this - is it why he left the show?  Was this discussed somewhere around here?  Can you point me towards more info?

• Love 2

Charlie hates Lena Dunham?  I didn't know this - is it why he left the show?  Was this discussed somewhere around here?  Can you point me towards more info?

The rumor is/was that the actor left the show supposedly in between seasons 2 and 3 because he didn't like what was happening with his character. I just did a quick google search to see if there was any article and only found more or less of the same explanations but here is one that is like all of the others I read:

http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/news/celebrity/2013/04/05/girls-star-christopher-abbott-quits

it was really random when the news came out, right after season 2 because Marnie and Charlie had gotten back together in that finale. I wonder what would have happened had Charlie stayed on as a character.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

Yeah, I think the whole hook-up between Adam and Jessa is bullshit. And I think it's super crazy for him to spend money putting her through college. Fuck that. Even if the sex is good (and my guess is Adam is sprung off the fact that she lets him finish inside of her), maybe she'll get a textbook or so. But welcome to real, adult world, Jessa, where student loans are a way of life. Her sister had the right idea.

I saw it a bit differently.  I think Jessa and Adam have a real connection and she seems to love her therapist studies. I think they are making some very grown up decisions, positive decisions that will lead to more grown up lives.

• Love 7

I like Lola Kirke too, but no, the sister here is played by Marianna Palka.  I recognized her from a documentary in which she finds out whether she has Huntington's Disease or not. 

Oh lord, I hated that movie. 

Being as it was a comfy sports bra, I actually get the bra-but-no-underwear sleeping thing. Some things need to breathe and some things need to not flop about, and nightgowns can get all tangled.

A perfect and succinct explanation of the bra-but-no-underwear sleeping thing.

• Love 3

Jessa was play-acting about how he can't finish inside while telling him that he could because she had a sponge in there and that really turned him on, because she pretended to protest while giving him permission to?

Hasn't Adam already demonstrated he likes to pull out and aim?

• Love 2

I am not the target audience for this show, at all, but I've watched from the beginning.  I don't post about it, and I don't really hate watch, but I wouldn't say I actually enjoy it.  But then, occasionally, once or so per season, there is an episode that I just enjoy without reservation.  This was one. I laughed at the humorous stuff.  I felt for the characters. Good job, show.

• Love 3

I think Adam and Jessa are falling in love. And that is going to KILL Hannah. The lesbian sex scene was revolting. I am not into women but sometimes lesbian scenes can be kind of hot. This one was definitely not. Could Lena make herself look any more unattractive? That bathing suit was ridiculous. I get it. She is doing it for the shock value. And yes, the no underpants and bra combo to bed bugged me too.

• Love 7
Being as it was a comfy sports bra, I actually get the bra-but-no-underwear sleeping thing. Some things need to breathe and some things need to not flop about, and nightgowns can get all tangled.

I just think it is weird to do that with your mother in the next bed.  Though I thought Hannah was just kind of gross during the trip.  Did she even bring a change of clothes? 

• Love 2

I, too, find the discussions about whether or not someone's level of conventional attractiveness determines the level of realism of the sex scenes ridiculous. Attraction is much, much more complicated than that and people are just projecting their own superficiality with that kind of talk.

• Love 5

Wait! Where did Jessa find a sponge??? Are they back on the market? I haven't seen them in years...haven't really looked but I still haven't seen them.

Yes! I thought they were taken off the market many years ago! I wondered about that too, ut thought maybe I missed their return.

I understood Shosh's sudden attestation that she was not happy in Japan.  Everything was a veneer.  She was an assistant manager at a cat cafe.  It sounds like a fun place to be but it does not sound like a career.  She was always focused on building a career.  She had the cute guy but she had the stark realization that they really didn't kknow each other.  I've been in a similar situation in which you realize others have set out your life for you and it's not what you are planning,  I ran away too. 

I have been to a cat café in Tokyo.  It was not as nice as this one.  It was large room with a lot of cats, a few places to sit, cat trees and toys.  You paid for your time.  Interestingly they had some cats you weren't allowed to pet.  They were exotic breeds so they wanted to use them to bring people in.  However, they were no where near mellow enough to have so many people grabbing at them. 

There are cat cafes in San Francisco and Oakland, CA.  Both feature adoptable cats.  You also pay for your time.  Both serve tea and snacks.  They also hold special events.  Manny people go either to potentially adopt a cat or because they cannot have cats in their home and they miss them. 

• Love 1

That doesn't sound so terrible. Hardly hate. Charlie was kind of done as a character. And he did have good roles lined up. I wonder how hard it was to film around Adam Driver's Star Wars schedule. I can't say I have noticed less of him.

I guess she decided that Adam was sponge-worthy.

Sponges are back ladies:http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/today-sponge-vaginal-contraceptive/ID=prod5883290-product#!

• Love 3

Hannah accepting her body type is a great aspect of the show--and realistic. I see women shaped like Hannah who wear bikinis at the beach, etc, and I say good for them. Wear what you like! But I also sometimes roll my eyes at just how far Lena takes it. Like let's get the most horrible possible bathing suit for her body and then shoot her from behind, from below. Like, what's the point of that? I am a lot fatter than Hannah and even I was like "good god woman, that is not a good look".

I actually thought the bathing suit was super realistic. Hannah doesn't seem like someone who would go swimming very often. Then, she gets a call from her mom that they're going to a retreat. She figures there will probably be swimming and she pulls out the swimsuit from the back of her dresser that doesn't quite fit, but at least it's better than nothing. That's been the story of my life with swimsuits for about five years now. It doesn't really fit anymore, but it'll do when I need something in a pinch.

As for that sex scene, I assumed Hannah did it partly because she was bored and partly because she wanted a story.

• Love 5

Do those cat cafes also serve antihistamines?

Or shots of epinephrine?

You're own your own for those.  It's definitely a case of don't go there if you're allergic.  I can see the order now - pot of earl grey, a scone and an epipen. 

• Love 1

That doesn't sound so terrible. Hardly hate. Charlie was kind of done as a character. And he did have good roles lined up. I wonder how hard it was to film around Adam Driver's Star Wars schedule. I can't say I have noticed less of him.

Sponges are back ladies:http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/today-sponge-vaginal-contraceptive/ID=prod5883290-product#!

Charlie was the only character I liked at that time. I definitely was sad to see him go and he had great chemistry with the undeserving Marnie. I actually rewound the preview a few times to see if I could make him out. Hope it's him.

Edited by anonymiss

Hannah had her head up that woman's crotch then she lays in bed with her Mom without washing up first.

And we know she didn't brush her teeth either.

I'm surprised that Hannah even tried to go to chow town because she's such a selfish lover but of course, she didn't let the yoga instructor finish. Classic Hannah.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 6

I love the idea of cat cafes to find forever homes for kitties, letting them roam free and decide who they want to play/interact with.  However, the one Shoshana worked at seemed to have all purebred cats that were there just for petting and admiring.  This led me to question, in regards to real cat cafes in Japan, how do they get the cats to sit put while a circle of strangers they haven't scented, touch and dote on them?  As a proud cat mommy, I've never encountered or owned a cat who didn't decide when, where and for how long it was going to give you affection.  With cats, you leave a message and they will get back to you!  I hope they don't drug them!

As for the lesbian scene, when Hannah bailed on the yoga instructor right before blast-off, I couldn't help thinking, why not just change positions so you aren't locked between her legs, and finish what you started?  I know that scene was crafted to show that Hannah experimented and decided mid-munch that she wasn't into lesbian sex, but damn, that was cold!

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 2

This led me to question, in regards to real cat cafes in Japan, how do they get the cats to sit put while a circle of strangers they haven't scented, touch and dote on them?  

They drug them.

Watch Jessa get pregnant.

Adam got the abortion storyline last season.  Jessa has the Sponge and educational/career goals.  They're safe.

Do those cat cafes also serve antihistamines?

Or shots of epinephrine?

Why would an allergic person choose to go to a cat cafe?  There are plenty of other places to get coffee, tea, books without exposing oneself to something they know they are allergic to.  It's not like it's hidden or secret information:  "come on in and have a cup of tea, and OH SURPRISE!!! we have cats."

• Love 1

I love the idea of cat cafes to find forever homes for kitties, letting them roam free and decide who they want to play/interact with.  However, the one Shoshana worked at seemed to have all purebred cats that were there just for petting and admiring.  This led me to question, in regards to real cat cafes in Japan, how do they get the cats to sit put while a circle of strangers they haven't scented, touch and dote on them?  As a proud cat mommy, I've never encountered or owned a cat who didn't decide when, where and for how long it was going to give you affection.  With cats, you leave a message and they will get back to you!  I hope they don't drug them!

As for the lesbian scene; when Hannah bailed on the yoga instructor right before blast-off, I couldn't help thinking, why not just change positions so you aren't locked between her legs, and finish what you started?  I know that scene was crafted to show that Hannah experimented and decided mid-munch that she wasn't into lesbian sex, but damn, that was cold!

And what on earth was the yoga instructor doing to Hannah's legs/feet? Was she grabbing them or pulling them? Hannah looked kind of trapped.

Why aren't these kids using condoms? I forgot what the STD scare was with Hannah, a while back. Was it HPV that she speculated that she contracted from Adam or someone else?

Has Shoshanna always walked like that? She looks so stiff. When she was at her former office, she walked kind of the way all the other Japanese women walked, in a meek, please don't hit me kind of way. But sometimes we see her walking as if she had surgery recently.

If I were an employee at that retreat and I witnessed a guest spitting food back into a bowl at the buffet, I would at least remove that bowl from the buffet table.

• Love 4

And what on earth was the yoga instructor doing to Hannah's legs/feet? Was she grabbing them or pulling them? Hannah looked kind of trapped.

That position looked so uncomfortable.  Hannah really was in an awkward position.  She did say she was getting really hot (and not in a good way - rim shot!).  I can see her getting out of that position.  Then, since it's Hannah, she doesn't reposition and finish.  That's our girl!

Why would an allergic person choose to go to a cat cafe?  There are plenty of other places to get coffee, tea, books without exposing oneself to something they know they are allergic to.  It's not like it's hidden or secret information:  "come on in and have a cup of tea, and OH SURPRISE!!! we have cats."

SCRB was joking about going to a cat café if you're allergic.  I was joking about ordering an epipen.  Of course a highly allergic person wouldn't go in.  We've had a snark fail but we have the technology; we can recover. 

FYI - the cat cafes I have been to absolutely do not drug the cats.  The cafes in Japan do have some cats you can look at but not touch.  These are typically the special breeds.  They have areas that these cats can hang out in without having to interact closely with people.  So they are on high shelves or cat trees.  One was in his own enclosure.  Not all cats are available on all days; so if a cat is having an off day, they are not on the floor.  The cats roaming around are more mellow.  Obviously only certain cats  have the temperament for this environment.  I currently have two cats.  Skinny Pete would do well in a cat café.  He approaches everyone that enters the house and is almost always open to petting.  Badger would hide in a corner, glower and hiss. 

• Love 6

I currently have two cats.  Skinny Pete would do well in a cat café.  He approaches everyone that enters the house and is almost always open to petting.  Badger would hide in a corner, glower and hiss. 

I FLUV you for naming your cats Skinny Pete and Badger!

• Love 7

Neither of my cats would function well in a cat cafe. Bailey has some serve anxiety issues, it's only been recently that he can sleep though a rainstorm and he doesn't hiss or anything with people, he hides under things,  and Bell is kind of mean and doesn't like anyone and turns bitiy pretty fast. Like she will be all nice and open to petting and then bite you. 

• Love 1

SCRB was joking about going to a cat café if you're allergic.  I was joking about ordering an epipen.  Of course a highly allergic person wouldn't go in.  We've had a snark fail but we have the technology; we can recover. 

FYI - the cat cafes I have been to absolutely do not drug the cats.  The cafes in Japan do have some cats you can look at but not touch.  These are typically the special breeds.  They have areas that these cats can hang out in without having to interact closely with people.  So they are on high shelves or cat trees.  One was in his own enclosure.  Not all cats are available on all days; so if a cat is having an off day, they are not on the floor.  The cats roaming around are more mellow.  Obviously only certain cats  have the temperament for this environment.  I currently have two cats.  Skinny Pete would do well in a cat café.  He approaches everyone that enters the house and is almost always open to petting.  Badger would hide in a corner, glower and hiss. 

My cat would do well in a cat cafe, I think.  He loves to be all cuddly.  But he also can turn on a dime and be bitey if you pet too close to the tummy area.

Sorry I didn't get the snark. Because we live in a society where absolutely every detail has to be spelled out for people (careful, McDonald's coffee is hot), I thought it was a serious question.  ;)

• Love 3

I loved the use of Aurora's cover of Life on Mars at the end of the episode.   Seeing Shoshanna walk the Tokyo streets alone was very reminiscent of Lost in Translation for me.

On another note, I really don't like Aidy Bryant. She bugs.

• Love 1

Could someone please explain Hannah's mom saying, sex has actually even been better lately, less pressure. Hannah protests, "Mom!" Am I missing something? Or is it just the most obvious humor?

Hannah's comment is simply the usual disinterest/near horror children have picturing their parents having sex. More enigmatic is Hannah's mom's comment that sex with her now-outed husband is better than sex with her formerly-closeted husband. I interpreted that to mean Hannah's father was better at sex now because pressure was relieved by his outing and he didn't have to pretend he was something he wasn't. Also, he still loves his wife and may be trying extra hard to please her given his guilt and desire to stay together.

Wow, call me a perv, but I thought she meant the pressure was off to have anal sex.

• Love 1

Hannah's comment is simply the usual disinterest/near horror children have picturing their parents having sex. More enigmatic is Hannah's mom's comment that sex with her now-outed husband is better than sex with her formerly-closeted husband. I interpreted that to mean Hannah's father was better at sex now because pressure was relieved by his outing and he didn't have to pretend he was something he wasn't. Also, he still loves his wife and may be trying extra hard to please her given his guilt and desire to stay together.

Sigh. I thought it might be something more clever or subtle. Didn't they already show horrified Hannah when her dad injured himself while having sex with Loreen in the shower?

There is also a cat cafe in Portland, where I live. The cats are up for adoption and there are strict rules about separating the cats from the area where food is prepared/consumed.

I've been to a cat cafe in Paris, as well. That one let the cats roam around in the same room where you eat (but not where they prepared the food, obviously), and it didn't charge a cover.  It also didn't have a time limit.  And there was a downstairs area that was kind of cave-like and cozy with couches and bookshelves.  I liked the atmosphere at that one a lot better than the one in Portland.

• Love 2

Why aren't these kids using condoms? I forgot what the STD scare was with Hannah, a while back. Was it HPV that she speculated that she contracted from Adam or someone else?

I've been wondering about this too. I mean, ok, Hannah dresses like she lives in the 70's, but the show doesn't take place in the sexually free 70's. I know she at least used condoms with Adam (I remember him talking about taking forever to nut with her), and I remember Marnie using one with her hookup with Elijah. I think it was pretty well determined that Hannah got HPV from Elijah. Maybe the show should have a disclaimer... do not attempt these stunts at home (or at least, without a condom).

Edited by jenh526
  • Love 2

I found it sad that her mother stayed in the marriage, because as a sixty year old woman, she felt like she did not have many options.  It might be realistic, but it reinforces the trope as a woman, society finds you useless once your youth and beauty are gone.

Also, I do not know what is wrong with a woman who is alone.  Being by yourself with a glass of wine and a good book is better then being with a man you have no connection with.

I'm about a decade younger than Hannah's mom and I get it. company is worth a LOT. There is never a guarantee in life that you will meet someone and as you get older the possibilities and pool diminish. Company is worth a LOT. She has a history with Hannah's dad. I don't think this is a sexist thing: HE doesn't want a divorce either. I'm sure they will come to an arrangement that they can have some flings elsewhere and reevaluate if either falls in love. Some "Boston marriages" in history have been very successful-- at some point romance/sex is not so important as comradeship. After all, family members sometimes set up house together.

Well, Jessa and Adam won me over with that deranged role play. They're a perfect match. I didn't interpret the dinner as Jessa trying to manipulate Adam into paying for school. (She was trying to manipulate the sister! Gee, look at how stable I am and look at my loving boyfriend. Now, give me some of grandma's money.). Adam is more of a traditionalist. He wants to be a provider. He would have happily raised that aborted Mimi Rose baby. He fell for Hannah once he recognized that she needed a caregiver. I'm interested to see where Adam and Jessa go, especially now that he's paying for her eduction.

I can't wait for Hannah to learn that Jessa and Adam are not only in a relationship but he's now financing Jessa's latest whim.

American Horror Story

Vinyl

I think it's odd that people discuss whether it's believable for the Lesbian to go for Hannah. For me, it was more the other way around. I didn't buy Hannah's sudden bi-curiousity. I felt like that came out of nowhere, since Hannah has never expressed any curiosity in her own gender before. In a way I think it would be an interesting storyline for Hannah to explore her sexuality, but the way it was handled in this episode felt more like they needed some filler and some awkward sex scenes. I also dislike this urge to talk about how realistic a pairing is when physical traits of two people differ. In real life people can be attracted to all kinds of physicality - not just Hollywood ideals.

I understand the decision that Hannah's Mom made. From what she says, she enjoy's her husband's company and she doesn't want to start over with another man, because there is little time to get to know him and she'd prefer not do the hard stuff (take care of someone in sickness etc.) with a person she barely knows.

Very good points. Agreed.

On TV bisexuality is always presented as a subset of being liberal and open-minded. But for many it just isn't. I lived in SF in my 20s and got hit on all the time, and I was a club-going "free spirit," but the thought of kissing a girl just grossed me out (still does). It would be like, as the woman says in "Notting Hill," "Kissing my elbows."

I read about a short-term cafe in New York and this but the article is 2 years old. I definitely would go to a cat cafe.  I love it when a bookstore has cats,

I saw it a bit differently.  I think Jessa and Adam have a real connection and she seems to love her therapist studies. I think they are making some very grown up decisions, positive decisions that will lead to more grown up lives.

I think Adam and Jessa are falling in love. And that is going to KILL Hannah. The lesbian sex scene was revolting. I am not into women but sometimes lesbian scenes can be kind of hot. This one was definitely not. Could Lena make herself look any more unattractive? That bathing suit was ridiculous. I get it. She is doing it for the shock value. And yes, the no underpants and bra combo to bed bugged me too.

YES. I used to cover the animal shelter for the town weekly I work for and I loved to go hang out with the cats in the open room. Of course when they're in cages they're much more eager for your attention and in some ways it's better for adoption because in a cat room they may or may not come up to you lol.

Of our 3 cats, the tortie would hiss. The grey British blue would be curious and then  say "I'll let you know." Because she does that now. The orange tabby would be curious and friendly.

My avatar here, sweet Lucy, passed away two years ago. If you were VERY lucky you might get a glimpse of her.

Finney, a Siamese blend, would say hello very vocally and allow a scritch or two.

I've been to a cat cafe in Paris, as well. That one let the cats roam around in the same room where you eat (but not where they prepared the food, obviously), and it didn't charge a cover.  It also didn't have a time limit.  And there was a downstairs area that was kind of cave-like and cozy with couches and bookshelves.  I liked the atmosphere at that one a lot better than the one in Portland.

I'm so in.

• Love 3

In my experience, tabbies seem to be more affectionate.  Don't know if there is any reason for it, but all my tabby cats were like dogs in that they would seek me out, and come when called.  And they loved being around their people.  

• Love 2
Of our 3 cats, the tortie would hiss. The grey British blue would be curious and then  say "I'll let you know." Because she does that now. The orange tabby would be curious and friendly.

Haha, this seems so typical of all 3 breeds! Torties are always kind of bitchy (no offense to torties, I love them!), solid grey cats seem kind of bold and self assured but also cautious, and orange tabbies are total love bugs with no inhibitions. Generalizing of course, but this has been my experience. :)

• Love 1

I've been wondering about this too. I mean, ok, Hannah dresses like she lives in the 70's, but the show doesn't take place in the sexually free 70's. I know she at least used condoms with Adam (I remember him talking about taking forever to nut with her), and I remember Marnie using one with her hookup with Elijah. I think it was pretty well determined that Hannah got HPV from Elijah. Maybe the show should have a disclaimer... do not attempt these stunts at home (or at least, without a condom).

Who would ever want to try this at home? This show makes sex look as fun as a root canal. I know sex is messy and awkward and silly, but it is still fun. The characters look like they're being mostly tortured when they have a sex scene.

• Love 6

cpcathy: I think most women most of the time *aren't* about to get their period, and sleeping without underwear is perfectly safe.

I actually thought Dunham was maybe making a joke about the fact that actresses on TV area almost always shown wearing a bra while having sex.

• Love 3