Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Paranoia

• Start Topic

When the guy drove into the FBI headquarters and used his FBI ID, I thought, "Wow, so it's actually the FBI that's trying to kill him." But then they reviewed what facts they had, and they immediately deduced that the bad guy (I'm spacing the name--Fogle?) had someone working on the inside at the FBI. Seemed to not be the only possibility to me.

Loved that Boyle was a maid of honor. But I don't love Pimento or that fast romance. What in the world is she supposed to be seeing in him?

The matter of fact, super helpful hit man was great.

Loved this episode.

Boyle as a maid? Perfect.  Loved how they competed but yet they all knew what she would like.  DAYUM...Boyle is playing to win!

Terry killed tonight:  Don't take Frasier's name in vain.  One ding is enough dude. 

My crush on Jake/AS grows with every episode.  So funny, but so loyal.  Love him.

I totally buy this relationship...much more "Rosa" than Marcus ever was. 

• Love 4

I was fine with Rosa admitting she was attracted to Pimento because he's obviously bad news, but I have a hard time believing that they're in love or would want to get married. But if that's the premise I had to accept in order to get the three bachelorette parties, so be it!

• Love 3

Eh, I'm glad we're finally getting a break from Pimento.  While he had his moments (mainly how he caused Terry to flip out), I've gotten tired of his act, and even thogh I can buy Rosa digging a guy like him, her suddenly wanting to get married seems a bit far-fetched to me.  Then again, I guess Rosa is the character that is hardest to pinpoint.

Still, that has to be one of the best bachelorette parties ever!  I loved that each idea was something each character would love; trivia for Amy, shooting her annoying nephew for Gina, restaurant for Boyle; but they all did it in a way that Rosa and everyone else would love.  And all of them ending up drunk will never not be awesome, although I'm disappointed we didn't get a quick scene of Perverted Amy (4th drink, I think), which still might be one of my favorite Amys.

I did get a kick out of the hitman actually be helpful once he was caught.  I guess once you're captured, it really is a good idea to just tell them what you know.

Jake trying to make peace between Pimento and Terry was nice of him, and shows how loyal he was to Rosa.  Makes up for him apparently inviting Hitchcock and Scully to the bachelor party, which just seems like a bad idea all-around.

I'm glad Holt at least showed up at the very end, but I wonder if Andre Braugher had the week off for whatever reason, whenever they filmed this episode.

• Love 1

That was fabulous and surprising in every way.

I don't know what Rosa sees in Pimento, but I like seeing her show another side of herself, while staying in character. And also, I do think it might drive you crazy to know someone is trying to kill you, and to have it be someone hooked up with  law enforcement, while you are also a cop surrounded by cops-- the paranoia alone would warp your mind. So I think the way they set this up, theoretically he could be changed to be a little saner if they bring him back, and it could make enough sense to pass as other than a total retcon.

Honestly, I missed Holt. I can't decide which party I would have more enjoyed seeing him be a part of. I think he would have been a laugh riot at the bachelorette party, to be honest. I can't think of a way they could have legitimately had him with Boyle and the women, though. And he's proven fairly funny on a detective caper, too, so the bachelor party also would have worked.

• Love 3

I love that Gina's nephew was so sure his team would win paintball because they were in a league. A league! Deluded child. Did you miss the part where your aunt brought COPS?! You didn't stand a chance.

• Love 8
Jake trying to make peace between Pimento and Terry was nice of him, and shows how loyal he was to Rosa.  Makes up for him apparently inviting Hitchcock and Scully to the bachelor party, which just seems like a bad idea all-around.

But Pimento asked Jake to invite "all the guys" (except Boyle) so it was a direct request from the groom.

• Love 1

When the guy drove into the FBI headquarters and used his FBI ID, I thought, "Wow, so it's actually the FBI that's trying to kill him." But then they reviewed what facts they had, and they immediately deduced that the bad guy (I'm spacing the name--Fogle?) had someone working on the inside at the FBI. Seemed to not be the only possibility to me.

Yeah, in a way that was an oddly optimistic assumption on their part. I think at this point it's equally probable it was:

The FBI is trying to kill him

The FBI has an inside man with the bad dude (although if he were undercover he shouldn't be going to the FBI while still undercover...but it's possible this is a sitcom lapse in logic, not a clue)

The bad dude has an inside man with the FBI and was still acting on behalf of bad dude

Plus Adrian himself had been undercover so I would've thought even if the FBI were after him, it'd be for his other persona since they wouldn't necessarily have known he were an undercover cop, but since he no longer is, now they could know and thus should drop anything they had against him.

Still I have no idea where they're going with this given then style of comedy; sometimes logic isn't meant to be for the sake of the joke so...it's really hard to predict.

• Love 1

Wow, I absolutely loved this episode! For some bizarre reason I really like Pimento and the weird, darker yet oddly endearing energy he brings. Most of all, I love that he made Rosa seem so gloriously human while still being Rosa. I agree that the writers switched gears a little too abruptly from the two of them just dating to deeply in love, but since I feel like Rosa (and some other B99 characters) can be written a little TOO one note sometimes, with the writers just hammering home their 1-2 salient characteristics over and over, I will gladly take episodes like this one that give the character and actress totally different material. And I also love that Pimento's presence gives them something so legitimately criminal to delve into---as I've said elsewhere, as a lifelong crime drama/mystery/etc. addict, I love when B99 gives us specific crime-related storylines---and pokes gentle fun at the usual tropes---rather than just acting like any other workplace comedy.

Boyle, Jake, Terry, etc. were all perfection this episode.  My one complaint this season is Amy. I'm just finding her less enjoyable and interesting somehow this season.She's a big example of someone whose 1-2 salient traits just seem to be shown ad nauseam---how many epsiodes this season have reminded us that she's neurotically competitive?! It's not her relationship with Jake that bugs me. If anything, they show so little of it that the relationship barely registers with me, so IMO fears of their romance taking over the show were unfounded. It's just that Amy needs to be more multidimensional or something...? I wish I could explain it better! 

Overall, though, I loved this episode and am loving this season. It may even be rivaling S1 for my favorite. (S2 is definitely third out of the three!) 

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the cut away scene of Pimento smashing the bug and then freaking out that he'd killed it. I think the character is a bit over the top to be a main character on the show, but I liked him and Rosa and I'd be fine with him showing up every now and then.

• Love 4

Fun ep, even though Holt was out for most of it. I figured the issue wasn't that AB was unavailable, but that the plots didn't call for him.

All of Rosa's bachelorette parties were great. Amy's quiz show questions were funny, the drinking was perfect. Demolishing the restaurant -- Le Petit Colon -- was so Rosa. No surprise it was her favorite. But ewww for Boyle eating from that old container.

Loved the bit on the fun bus where Jake asks Terry and Adrian to step out, separately, to talk, then Hitchcock (or Scully?) does the same thing just because they hadn't been outside yet. 

I was trying to figure out who was behind the mask. He looked a little familiar.

I literally teared up for Rosa at the end. 

Amy: I've made many friends thru arts and crafts.
Gina: And how many of them have googly eyes?

Terry: Easy on the dings, man. One ding'll do.

• Love 1

But Pimento asked Jake to invite "all the guys" (except Boyle) so it was a direct request from the groom.

When he said that I had time to think "Oh dude, uncool!" before he added that Rosa had called dibs on Boyle (or 'Chuck'). Which I love that she did.

I laughed so, so hard at the bit with Pimento killing the bug and then breaking down with remorse. Brief, but hilarious. I'm not sad that we're getting a break from him, though. I don't mind him as a guest character, but for me he works better in small doses.

The 99 should have fingerprints from the briefcase the guy handed over to Jake, right? I don't know if FBI agents have to leave fingerprints somewhere, but that should be a start.

• Love 3

I think this might be my favorite episode of the season. I loved all the bachelorette parties. When Gina, Amy, and Boyle were arguing, I thought they were going to go the cliche route and give Gina 3 parties that sucked. This was so much better. Drunk trivia was my favorite, but I can see why Rosa picked smashing up the restaurant as the best. 

Even though I'm glad Pimento's not a regular I actually do like the character and Jason Manzoukas' portrayal. I like the brief glimpses of the dark side of police work.

Love that Rosa asked Charles to be her co-maid of honor and that he said yes!

When they said at the beginning of the episode that Captain Holt was away at a conference I was wondering was Andre Brauer sick or busy doing another project, so I was surprised when he showed up at the end. Thinking about it, Holt wouldn't really fit in either of the two storylines.

Stephanie Beatriz was really great in the final scene saying goodbye to Adrian. She's really good at playing stoic but holding back emotions.

More than anything this episode shows how the characters are a family.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I wish they'd used Holt, but I get why he wouldn't have worked in either plot. Even if he was skipping the festivities, I don't believe Terry wouldn't call him if he was in town once they discovered someone was trying to kill Pimento and then you'd have to bring him into that plot somehow. It was a good move writing him out even if it made me sad.

• Love 2

I hope Pimento will be dropped to a recurring status because the character hasn't really worked for me. I thought he was fine for a one-off, but even in a series that's filled with over-the-top characters, he's a little too much to take. I don't know why - clearly this is a precinct that puts up with people as useless as Hitchcock and Scully (maybe they're really good at all the paper work and desk stuff, who knows?) but someone as batshit crazy as Pimento doesn't seem capable of surviving in society let alone holding down a job, especially as a police detective. Too crazy for this show? Is way too crazy.

I mean yeah, he ended up being right about someone wanting to kill him but still - way too crazy to function in the world.

• Love 2

Wow, I absolutely loved this episode! For some bizarre reason I really like Pimento and the weird, darker yet oddly endearing energy he brings. Most of all, I love that he made Rosa seem so gloriously human while still being Rosa. I agree that the writers switched gears a little too abruptly from the two of them just dating to deeply in love, but since I feel like Rosa (and some other B99 characters) can be written a little TOO one note sometimes, with the writers just hammering home their 1-2 salient characteristics over and over, I will gladly take episodes like this one that give the character and actress totally different material. And I also love that Pimento's presence gives them something so legitimately criminal to delve into---as I've said elsewhere, as a lifelong crime drama/mystery/etc. addict, I love when B99 gives us specific crime-related storylines---and pokes gentle fun at the usual tropes---rather than just acting like any other workplace comedy.

Boyle, Jake, Terry, etc. were all perfection this episode.  My one complaint this season is Amy. I'm just finding her less enjoyable and interesting somehow this season.She's a big example of someone whose 1-2 salient traits just seem to be shown ad nauseam---how many epsiodes this season have reminded us that she's neurotically competitive?! It's not her relationship with Jake that bugs me. If anything, they show so little of it that the relationship barely registers with me, so IMO fears of their romance taking over the show were unfounded. It's just that Amy needs to be more multidimensional or something...? I wish I could explain it better! 

Overall, though, I loved this episode and am loving this season. It may even be rivaling S1 for my favorite. (S2 is definitely third out of the three!) 

I feel you on all fronts, ASF!

Pimento was good in his doses, and hopefully he'll still have reason to show up sparingly, Doug Judy style.  His energy helped mix things up with the squad and break some of their routines.

I think the issues with Amy's character is that she hasn't had the multi-episode development arc most of the other characters have had this season. Outside of Gina, Scully and Hitchcock, whose characters work best with throw-away items, most of the characters have had some form of development. Terry balancing careeer aspirations and his growing family, Holt dealing with Kevin being away, Charles finally moving past his wife and putting himself out there, more and Rosa's relationships.

I agree that the writers go caught with Amy, they needed to balance her biggest development, her relationship with Jake, with not overdoing that relationship and potentially ruining a lot of the work-place flow of the show. They managed Ben Wyatt a lot better by giving him career things to aspire towards and achieve. I think they need to do the same with Amy, perhaps moving her to a Sargent of the 99 night-shift or something that allows her to still interact with the cast but give her character something more to do. She's had some good episodes, the Mumps episode sticks out the most for me, but she's either been neurotic Amy or Relationship Amy pretty much all season.

• Love 1

It doesn't help that they've also had to write around MF's pregnancy, which must somewhat limit what she can do (mostly hold boxes apparently).

I think the biggest issue is that they've been so terrified of turning it into the Jake and Amy Show (with occasional guest stars from the 99) that interaction between them has been non existent beyond a carefully selected handful of episodes. If they're still together (or get back together if there's a cliffhanger for them again) next season then I really want to see the relationship from Amy's POV since it's been almost all Jake's perspective so far.

Pimento is ok in very small doses but his shtick was starting to make me loose interest in the show TBH. He should definitely be used in Doug Judy doses from now on.

I'm not sure I bought the relationship with Rosa apparently moving to marriage and ILY so quickly, ala Boyle. A few episodes ago she had to do 4 shots before telling Jake her new boyfriend's name, and now she's comfortable saying "I love you/him" in public after a few weeks?

However he makes much more sense for Rosa than Marcus ever did and I could theoretically buy that Rosa just found her lightning in a bottle circumstances. SB was really selling it for me more than the writing I think.

The parties were both awesome though, and it was really great the writers had Amy/Charles/Gina throw in character parties that they thought Rosa would love rather than in character parties that any person could see Rosa would hate in the usual sitcom manner.

• Love 1

My one complaint this season is Amy. I'm just finding her less enjoyable and interesting somehow this season.She's a big example of someone whose 1-2 salient traits just seem to be shown ad nauseam---how many epsiodes this season have reminded us that she's neurotically competitive?!... It's just that Amy needs to be more multidimensional or something...? 

I agree. It's hard to sell that sort of  type A "I like to be judged" (to use a phrase from Angela of "The Office") character. It's hard to make them interesting. I think because of the actress' pregnancy, they've reduced her screen time and that doesn't particularly bother me. I'd like to see more of Jake and the Captain interacting. They're funny together.

Finally watched last night - I love this show!!  I love Jake's sincerity and inappropriate enthusiasm.  I love that RoRo called dibs on Chuck.  I loved the three parties for Rosa.  I love the strangely helpful hitman.  I just love them all so much!!

I watch online and the network viewing app can detect the credits are rolling and does the sort of Netflix countdown to cut over to a new episode but you can't stop if from cutting over and it doesn't get that there's still dialogue over the credits.  So it cut out just as Terry was saying that  "Pimento is one of us --"  Can someone tell me what was said after that?  THANKS!

He said "Det Pimento is a good man, and he's one of us, so let's catch these bastards, for him and Rosa." Then Jake yells, "Nine nine!" Holt says, "Discreetly, Jacob," so then Jake whispers, "Nine nine." Then they all whisper it together and Terry and Holt make raised fist/victory is ours kinds of gestures. It was cute.

• Love 3
(edited)

Boyle is an absolute sweetheart. He was so genuinely excited to be a maid of honour. I love him. He and Jake are both such good, loyal people...no wonder they're friends. :)

Boyle and Amy being on the same wavelength re: the need for time to appropriately plan was great; those two are both so similar...I'd like to see them paired up more.

Rosa's parties were great but I particularly enjoyed Rosa's extremely joyous reaction to Boyle's idea. Her grabbing him and lifting him off the ground while hollering in delight? Fuck, I love those two (platonically).

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 2

I really thought the wedding thing was a joke that Rosa and Pimento were playing on the squad. Rosa broke up with Marcus because things got too serious for her but she's ready to marry Pimento after a few weeks of dating even though he has obvious mental health issues that he needs to deal with?

• Love 1