Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

That's the whole 'slacker' culture back then. (Even though I was in college but whatev). Nowadays you *don't* have to get a job if you create content on TikTok or are an influencer, or whatever the Kardashians are. You can make money having people watch you play video games. I don't see how 1994 translates to 2022 other than, I mean, I get that these so-called jobs still mean you're 'poor', but you can still bring in money and not have a job-job. In Reality Bites, they weren't doing anything at all. 

On 5/9/2022 at 6:19 PM, bluegirl147 said:

All this talk about the show makes me want to do a rewatch. 

Same here. I've been wanting to re-watch for the last four years. I can't believe it's been that long, since it ended. I was really sick for two weeks, and dragged myself into the shower, made tea, as another fever was starting, because I was determined to watch the finale live, so that I could avoid spoilers. I was hooked on that show.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Anela said:

Same here. I've been wanting to re-watch for the last four years. I can't believe it's been that long, since it ended. I was really sick for two weeks, and dragged myself into the shower, made tea, as another fever was starting, because I was determined to watch the finale live, so that I could avoid spoilers. I was hooked on that show.

Among the best shows ever.  My friend and I did the same, watching the finale live, not just because of spoilers but because we just couldn't wait to find out what happened.  Two weeks earlier, I was in Edinburgh, of all places, so I could not watch that week's episode live, and they were not showing the latest episodes on British telly.  At 5 AM UK time they made the episode available on iTunes, so I purchased it and watched it on my iPad.  I could not wait until I returned home. 

• Love 1
On 5/12/2022 at 10:36 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

That's the whole 'slacker' culture back then. (Even though I was in college but whatev). Nowadays you *don't* have to get a job if you create content on TikTok or are an influencer, or whatever the Kardashians are. You can make money having people watch you play video games. I don't see how 1994 translates to 2022 other than, I mean, I get that these so-called jobs still mean you're 'poor', but you can still bring in money and not have a job-job. In Reality Bites, they weren't doing anything at all. 

I watched Reality Bites way too late. By the time I saw it, I found Ethan Hawke's character to be an unbearably smug, pretentious ass. I think that movie definitely delineates between the part of your life when being a struggling artist is romantic and when you realise that you need to just get a fucking job and support yourself.

• Love 11

It's also of its time, but of a certain age too. That's why I was saying the people now that would the demo are creating content on various platforms and not really suffering. There's no calibration for that time now. Any so-called suffering artist today has an NFT. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It's also of its time, but of a certain age too. That's why I was saying the people now that would the demo are creating content on various platforms and not really suffering. There's no calibration for that time now. Any so-called suffering artist today has an NFT. 

I must be really old, because I still don’t understand what an NFT is, lol. I was Reality Bites target demographic, so I enjoyed it at the time. The 2 girls dancing to “My Sharona” at the gas station was perfect!

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I must be really old, because I still don’t understand what an NFT is, lol.

Don't worry--ignorance is truly bliss when it comes to NFTs. I lost braincells when a friend tried to explain them to me a couple of years ago. Then suddenly they were everywhere. 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
19 minutes ago, Zella said:

Don't worry--ignorance is truly bliss when it comes to NFTs. I lost braincells when a friend tried to explain them to me a couple of years ago. Then suddenly they were everywhere. 😂

Between that and cryptocurrency, I’m truly lost. I’ve read a bit about both, and just don’t have the patience or will to spend the time needed to fully understand them.

• Love 19

So - just looked it up again. From Wikipedia:

A non-fungible token (NFT) is a financial securityconsisting of digital data stored in a blockchain, a form of distributed ledger. The ownership of an NFT is recorded in the blockchain, and can be transferred by the owner, allowing NFTs to be sold and traded. NFTs typically contain references to digital files such as photos, videos, and audio. Because NFTs are uniquely identifiable, they differ from cryptocurrencies, which are fungible. The market value of an NFT is associated with the digital file it references.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I still have NO idea WTF this is all about .

• Love 15

I thought the 90s Pink Panther TV series was just fine, and I didn't have a problem with the Pink Panther talking (mostly due to being voiced by Matt Frewer, who I like). And they brought back John Byner as the Ant and the Aardvark! 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

So - just looked it up again. From Wikipedia:

A non-fungible token (NFT) is a financial securityconsisting of digital data stored in a blockchain, a form of distributed ledger. The ownership of an NFT is recorded in the blockchain, and can be transferred by the owner, allowing NFTs to be sold and traded. NFTs typically contain references to digital files such as photos, videos, and audio. Because NFTs are uniquely identifiable, they differ from cryptocurrencies, which are fungible. The market value of an NFT is associated with the digital file it references.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I still have NO idea WTF this is all about .

Think of it this way: Remember hearing about the Dutch Tulip Mania that happened 400 years ago?  It's kind of like that, but on the internet and instead of tulips, it's the aforementioned 8 bit gif of a monkey with a funny hat.

Edit: They actually did a series of Tulip NFT's and even the monkey/ape thing seems to have previous echoes.  It's like they're deliberately trolling everyone.

Jan_Brueghel_the_Younger,_Satire_on_Tuli

Edited by Lugal
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Here's how I understand it. NFTs are pictures. Just regular jpgs. Only when you buy one, you don't get the actual picture emailed to you. Instead you get a link to where it's stored on the blockchain, AKA the cloud, AKA a different computer to the one you're actually using. Can you right click it, save it to your computer? Yes. So you can use a lot of power and spend a lot of money for something you can get for low power and little money. I fail to see the point of it all.

• Useful 6
  • Love 14
(edited)
4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

It's a pixel unicorn that farted a rainbow (actual NFT). 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • LOL 2
23 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I saw a great quote today:  Crypto is Mary Kay for men. 

I saw a similar type of quote about Joe Rogan a while back. They called him "Gwyneth Paltrow for men". 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I saw a great quote today:  Crypto is Mary Kay for men. 

I've seen it called "herbalife for bros."

It's why I side eye every celeb who starts to shill for crypto/NFTs.

This reminds me. I want to read Ben McKenzie's book.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 5/9/2022 at 11:19 PM, kariyaki said:

Ok, I hated The Americans. That was hard pass for me. I noped out of it after only one episode.

I can’t stand Matthew Rhys. His constant sourpuss makes it look like he has embraced the “smell the fart” acting method described on “Friends.”

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Yeah I understand what NFTs and cryptocurrency are. 

I don't see how they have any value though.  Or why anyone would waste money on them 

I realize probably 50 years from now or sooner there likely won't be any physical money and it will be some type of cryptocurrency. But it will be cryptocurrency based on the dollar or the yuan or some dominant country's physical currency. I doubt it will be some currency just made up online and mined from the cloud somehow. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I saw a similar type of quote about Joe Rogan a while back. They called him "Gwyneth Paltrow for men". 

Please tell me he did not make a dick scented candle!

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I realize probably 50 years from now or sooner there likely won't be any physical money and it will be some type of cryptocurrency. But it will be cryptocurrency based on the dollar or the yuan or some dominant country's physical currency. I doubt it will be some currency just made up online and mined from the cloud somehow. 

Exactly. The way paper money replaced gold bars. I mean, bank cards are kind of like that. I haven't touched paper money in ages. I pay everything with my card. But I will not waste my money on some made up cryptocurrency because some greedy celeb is being paid to tell me to. Cryptocurrency is like the Instagram filter of money. It might look shiny and desirable but it's a fake version of the real thing.

• Love 7

Well, I have no use for Gwyneth Paltrow, Joe Rogan- much less any interest or faith in any New Millennial Monopoly bills so where does this leave me?

And these NFTs seem about as reliable as paying monies for an old Polaroid of a World Book Encyclopedia picture of the Mona Lisa and expecting others to consider one an 'art collector'

And 20th century folks thought those 'buying' the Brooklyn Bridge were gullible?! 

Yeah, right! 

• Love 6

I sort of see NFTs as an extension of collecting stuff, which has been going on for a long time. If you buy some rare comicbook or a signed ball for shitton of money, does it have the actual value? I don't think so, it might have it for you as a collector but if something happens and you need the actual money, can you exchange it back? If some catastrophe happens, can you exchange it for food and shelter? I guess that would depend on circumstances, how many people around you are affected by the same misfortune, whether you have access to internet where you technically can sell everything, but the price might differ from the one you bought it for. But thinking about the value of things like this makes my head hurt, because then I wonder what value money has, since it is also something that we collectively agree on. Sigh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Please tell me he did not make a dick scented candle!

LOL, thankfully he has not, at least, not that I'm aware of thus far. But knowing some of the other nonsense stuff he's pushed, I certainly wouldn't put something like that past him. 

Add me to the list of those who don't get and have zero interest in NFTs and cryptocurrency. It all just sounds so dumb. 

• Love 11
(edited)
33 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I sort of see NFTs as an extension of collecting stuff, which has been going on for a long time. If you buy some rare comicbook or a signed ball for shitton of money, does it have the actual value? I don't think so, it might have it for you as a collector but if something happens and you need the actual money, can you exchange it back? If some catastrophe happens, can you exchange it for food and shelter? I guess that would depend on circumstances, how many people around you are affected by the same misfortune, whether you have access to internet where you technically can sell everything, but the price might differ from the one you bought it for. But thinking about the value of things like this makes my head hurt, because then I wonder what value money has, since it is also something that we collectively agree on. Sigh.

It's sort of like that. 

But the difference is with nfts since they are digital you can easily make EXACT replicas, just not attached to the blockchain. 

Yes comic books are all the same in a single issue but they age over time. You can digitally lose an NFT but it's not going to age at all like other collectibles. It's always in perfect 'mint' condition.  

Further unless you know a whole lot about electronics and programming how can you actually check to be sure the block chain transaction is real and not faked?  I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. 

I agree though it makes my head hurt too. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's sort of like that. 

But the difference is with nfts since they are digital you can easily make EXACT replicas, just not attached to the blockchain. 

Yes comic books are all the same in a single issue but they age over time. You can digitally lose an NFT but it's not going to age at all like other collectibles. It's always in perfect 'mint' condition.  

Further unless you know a whole lot about electronics and programming how can you actually check to be sure the block chain transaction is real and not faked?  I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. 

I agree though it makes my head hurt too. 

I gave you a "Useful" reaction, but truth is, I barely understood half of what you wrote. I am tempted to ask how can one digitally lose the NFT, but I wonder whether I even want to know (or would understand, lol). 

I hope this passes and we all will not be required to learn about it and start using it.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I gave you a "Useful" reaction, but truth is, I barely understood half of what you wrote. I am tempted to ask how can one digitally lose the NFT, but I wonder whether I even want to know (or would understand, lol). 

I hope this passes and we all will not be required to learn about it and start using it.

The blockchain is just proof of the digital transaction to prove you bought it from whoever and didn't just copy it. 

I know it is confusing I spent like a couple hours reading about it several times before it sort of made sense only to realize how dumb it is. 

By losing it I mean just like losing the copy by deleting on accident or not recalling where you saved it on your phone or wherever, which is easy to do when we save everything.  Not backing it up and losing the only copy

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, I have no use for Gwyneth Paltrow, Joe Rogan- much less any interest or faith in any New Millennial Monopoly bills so where does this leave me?

And these NFTs seem about as reliable as paying monies for an old Polaroid of a World Book Encyclopedia picture of the Mona Lisa and expecting others to consider one an 'art collector'

And 20th century folks thought those 'buying' the Brooklyn Bridge were gullible?! 

Yeah, right! 

Exactly. I now feel that I DO basically understand what NFTs are, but I don’t understand why anyone would want to pay money for such a thing. It really makes zero sense to me. 

• Love 18
6 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Exactly. I now feel that I DO basically understand what NFTs are, but I don’t understand why anyone would want to pay money for such a thing. It really makes zero sense to me. 

Some people are always looking for a good get rich quick scheme, rather than doing it the slow way. Or their enthusiasm exceeds their common sense.

• Love 4
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think some people are also just pretentious and want to feel special and unique. I'm sure NFTs check all sorts of boxes for them. 

Seems like buying real artwork and showcasing it in your home would be a better option, because you could enjoy seeing it every day AND it might impress your guests, but NFTs aren’t close. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

It's all speculation.  Greater Fool Theory in action, in that: "I may have paid $2000 for it, but I expect to turn around and sell it to a bigger idiot for $3000!"

4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I am tempted to ask how can one digitally lose the NFT, but I wonder whether I even want to know (or would understand, lol).

Easy, someone forgets to update something and your NFT is now a 404 file not found.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Or if you just waltz out with the server that stores it (real thing that happened). 

There's the world's weirdest heist movie script in here somewhere. LOL

• LOL 8
On 5/15/2022 at 10:00 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yeah I understand what NFTs and cryptocurrency are. 

I don't see how they have any value though.  Or why anyone would waste money on them 

Cryptocurrency is fake money on someone's computer somewhere, and when the market for it collapses (which it just did, at least partially), it's worthless.  At least that's my understanding of it.  All I know is that you should not let your anal retentive, probably on the spectrum, annoying ass roommate put your bitcoin on a flashdrive keychain which you then lose in the comic book store.

23 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I sort of see NFTs as an extension of collecting stuff, which has been going on for a long time. If you buy some rare comicbook or a signed ball for shitton of money, does it have the actual value?

But at least then you physically own something.  It's not just something in the computer that other people can get access to.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

All I know is that you should not let your anal retentive, probably on the spectrum, annoying ass roommate put your bitcoin on a flashdrive keychain which you then lose in the comic book store.

😄

Your post pretty  much summed up my knowledge of bitcoin.  Whenever this subject comes up I feel like my grandmother probably did when credit cards came out "what will they think of next?" but I still do believe where bitcoin is concerned that it's all smoke and mirrors and I'll keep my paper money under my mattress thankyouverymuch!

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

😄

Your post pretty  much summed up my knowledge of bitcoin.  Whenever this subject comes up I feel like my grandmother probably did when credit cards came out "what will they think of next?" but I still do believe where bitcoin is concerned that it's all smoke and mirrors and I'll keep my paper money under my mattress thankyouverymuch!

Same reaction Betty White once had when questioned about Facebook and Twitter. She said she didn’t understand them or why they were so popular. And when she did learn how they worked, she still thought they were nonsense! Just live your life, no need to advertise it online. I felt the same as I didn’t get into any social media until 2012 or so. Ditto for smart phones and the ipad - I just couldn’t understand the need for them. Now I have my ipad in hand much of the day, lol. Maybe I’ll change my mind about NFTs in another decade, who knows? 🤣

Edited by Cinnabon
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Same reaction Betty White once had when questioned about Facebook and Twitter. She said she didn’t understand them or why they were so popular. And when she did learn how they worked, she still thought they were nonsense! Just live your life, no need to advertise it online. I felt the same as I didn’t get into any social media until 2012 or so. Ditto for smart phones and the ipad - I just couldn’t understand the need for them. Now I have my ipad in hand much of the day, lol. Maybe I’ll change my mind about NFTs in another decade, who knows? 🤣

I don't mind either one. I don't get posting everything about your life. Does anyone really care what you had for dinner or what your doing at home or out? What I really don't is the number of criminals posting pictures of them with the gun they used in robbery or drug rip off. Along with all their pals so the police know exactly who to question about the crime or looking for accomplices. 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/16/2022 at 10:13 PM, andromeda331 said:

I don't mind either one. I don't get posting everything about your life. Does anyone really care what you had for dinner or what your doing at home or out? What I really don't is the number of criminals posting pictures of them with the gun they used in robbery or drug rip off. Along with all their pals so the police know exactly who to question about the crime or looking for accomplices. 

As someone who used to work for a law enforcement agency, I can tell you, social media was our best friend! I was in civil division and I can’t tell you how much evidence we got against crooked business owners thanks to what they and their friends and family posted. That, or people who were trying to avoid being served but were incredibly bad at hiding. Like the kid who plays “hide and seek” while giggling or with their legs sticking out from behind the couch.

Edited by AgathaC
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13
On 5/5/2022 at 11:08 AM, ABay said:

Inspired by a discussion in the streaming/subscribing thread: I'm apparently the only person in North America who thinks Hamilton was overrated. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when I saw it onstage and it still feels to me like a musical for people who hate musicals.

Wow, someone else who hates Hamilton? I hate it for so many reasons!

On 5/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, Crs97 said:

Here’s my UO - I don’t like Seinfeld and never understood its acclaim.  I’ve seen some of the episodes and find myself saying some of the catch phrases, but if I am flipping through the channels and my only choice is Seinfeld I turn off the tv.  Again YMMV

I was a regular watcher of Seinfeld but found that it hasn't aged well and I've simply lost interest in it.

Prehistoric Planet. It's not actually bad, in many ways it's very good. It's just not enough. We spend five to ten minutes on each dino before moving onto the next one. It's like a tasting plate when I want a full meal. Yes, all these are nice, but where's the rest?

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, Gharlane said:

I was a regular watcher of Seinfeld but found that it hasn't aged well and I've simply lost interest in it.

I've found this to be true of a lot of sitcoms.  With a few exceptions (e.g. Everybody Loves Raymond and Third Rock from the Sun) I find most sitcoms from the 90s/early 2000s just aren't funny for me anymore.  On the other hand I've been dipping into really vintage sitcoms like My Three Sons and That Girl and am enjoying them.  Maybe in another few decades (If I'm still around!) I'll be able to appreciate Seinfeld and its contempories again!

Edited by SusanM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I catch a lot of bits and pieces of Golden Girls at work and I still literally laugh out loud.

Same when I catch Designing Women.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I catch a lot of bits and pieces of Golden Girls at work and I still literally laugh out loud.

Same when I catch Designing Women.

Well written shows stand the test of time.  I never considered Seinfeld well written.  It was funny but it was the jokes that people remember.  And a lot of the jokes sound so dated now.  Meanwhile Golden Girls and Designing Women have storylines that still resonate today.

• Love 9
On 5/27/2022 at 7:32 PM, kiddo82 said:

Same. I wish TVLand would put them back on all of Sunday afternoon instead of switching to Mike and Molly. 

• Love 3

Is it an unpopular opinion to loathe Mike and Molly? Because I hated that show with the passion of a thousand flaming suns. It was one of the reasons I avoided Melissa McCarthy stuff for the longest time. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5