Type keyword(s) to search

I Love Lucy - General Discussion

SPLAIN
  • Start Topic

CBS aired the I Love Lucy Christmas Special last night.  It was weird to see the flashbacks of Lucy is Enciente, as well as the barbershop quartet, Lucy gives Birth, in color.  Then they aired "Lucy Does a Commercial" in its entirety in color. Whoa!

It's weird, but seeing these in color, made their apartment look...smaller, heh.

But I'm totally keeping this saved on my dvr forever. Unless it's on one of the DVD sets I haven't bought yet.

• Love 1

Was this the first year they colorized the flashback scenes in the Christmas episode?  I know at least the first time it aired they were in B&W and only the Christmas scenes were colorized.  Also, does anyone know why the Christmas episode isn't included in the syndication package?

It looks like these ILL Christmas specials have been popular enough that now The Andy Griffith Show is getting the same treatment.  Friday they'll be showing colorized versions of the Christmas episode and the pickle episode.  I'm not sure colorizing the TAGS episodes will have the same impact since several seasons of that show were broadcast in color already.

I think it is the first year they colorized the flashbacks as well as the episode. I remember questioning why they didn't do that in years past.

I too will be keeping this on the DVR forever. Lucy Does a TV Commercial is one of my favorite episodes. Lucille Ball did drunk so well!

Sometimes it's hard for me to take the colorization though because it just seems so bright and not real, if that makes any sense and sometimes the coloring does weird things to the actors' features that aren't normally there. Some things are interesting to see someone else's perspective of color on for example, wall colorings, outfit colors, etc.

• Love 1

I too will be keeping this on the DVR forever. Lucy Does a TV Commercial is one of my favorite episodes. Lucille Ball did drunk so well!

Sometimes it's hard for me to take the colorization though because it just seems so bright and not real, if that makes any sense and sometimes the coloring does weird things to the actors' features that aren't normally there. Some things are interesting to see someone else's perspective of color on for example, wall colorings, outfit colors, etc.

She really really did! I found I laughed the hardest at the beginning-before she got drunk; the expressions on her face as she took that first Tablespoon and nearly gagged. The first three attempts of her shuddering and trying to smile, made me laugh so hard! And of course the famous line: "Do you pop out at parties? Are you Unpoopular? WELL? ARE you?"

And I agree about the brightness. It was almost a GLARING brightness if that makes sense. That said, at least it didn't have that green tinge/smear that I recall some other movies that were "colorized" back when I was a teen. It was like the colors for those were black and green!

• Love 1

I also say "and one of the bees thinks she's the QUEEN" anytime we are moving stuff or I am with other people doing some work. Lol I crack myself up!

I also say "It' healthy to eat standing up- the food doesn't have to make all those turns!" h ha ha

I didn't like Ricky putty Lucy over his knee and spanking her- unless they were role playing!

I never liked it either.  That would never fly in 2016.   And I can tell you that the first time Ricky pulled that stunt with me would be the last time he pulled it with me!

Edited by legaleagle53

I've always had an odd fondness for the old vaudeville show Fred helps Lucy stage in "Ricky Loses His Voice". It's funny as hell, and I learned to do the Charleston thanks to the bit at the end. I also like that it's one of those 'everybody wins' scenarios where after Lucy and the Mertzes have had their moment in the sun it turns out that Mr. Chambers, "the old vaudevillian', loves the show and congratulates Ricky, who finally joins in the Charleston!

• Love 1

Yeah. I wasn't a fan many years ago, when the attempt at colorizing made them all look green and yellow.  But the one for Christmas and "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" weren't that bad. Just very...bright. Still, I'm so keeping it on my dvr forever.

• Love 1

The colorizing's not bad. The technology has gotten better. The high saturation actually works for the time period since technicolor for movies at the time was so more vivid and richer than real life.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

The colorizing's not bad. The technology has gotten better. The high saturation actually works for the time period since technicolor for movies at the time was so more vivid and richer than real life.

Even if it's better, I still am so puzzled why anyone thinks it's necessary. I know some people almost seem to have a phobia about black and white TV/Movies. Personally I don't get it. It seems to have started with the 90s kids, I think. While black and white has been gone for new content (other than art films) since the late 60s, I think kids who grew up in the 70s and 80s saw enough of it in syndication, or in movies that weren't SO old they couldn't be identified with, that it didn't seem to hurt them. But many folks who grew up in the 90s and later seem to literally think black and white makes something unwatchable. 

I wonder if the same is going to happen for 4:3 ratio/SD resolution? They reverse letterbox it and upscale it as much as possible, but I'm supposing at some point its going to seem so inherently "old" people may refuse to watch it. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Kromm said:

But many folks who grew up in the 90s and later seem to literally think black and white makes something unwatchable

Maybe they think it's akin to watching herky-jerky silent movies, where the  primitive technology (by our standards) makes it difficult to get into the stories and actors' performances.

For me, I am always taken aback when I see Ms Ball's fluorescent hair when I watch the colourized episodes. It takes awhile to be lulled back into the antics of the Ricardos and the Mertzes.

• Love 1
(edited)

My family didn't own a color TV until I was 12 so EVERYTHING was in black and white. I've seen old black and white movies on the big screen and it's actually mesmerizing.

On the episodes this is Lucy at her most frustrating. Stealing John Wayne's footprints in front of Graumann's Chinese Theater as a souvenir to take home? How did she not think she was committing a crime? I do love that Lucy's antics have become around Hollywood circles by the time they meet Charles Boyer in Paris.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I am a 90s kid and black and white doesn't bother me. I prefer color of course but it doesn't bother me if something is in B&W. I grew up watching Lucy and the 3 Stooges so I wasn't a complete stranger to the concept. I thought for the most part they did a good job with the colorizing of the John Wayne episodes. It reminded me of the style used for Lucy's later show The Lucy Show in the 60s. Very appropriate for the time period IMO. My only issue with the coloring is that Lucy's hair looked more orange than it probably should have, but perhaps maybe her hair really was that color (since it was hair dye)? That was the only thing that really bothered me about it. But overall I enjoyed it a lot.

It is a bit baffling that even as crazy as Lucy is she would commit a crime for a souvenir. I suppose the writers figured they could get away with it by chalking it up to Lucy's craziness. 

• Love 1

Lucy: "Give me the ones that smell the worst and hurt the most."

"Honeyyyy! Not on your foot. You put it on your head."

"...oil, to lubricate your scalp."

Ricky: "What's that?"

Lucy: "Vinegar. To marinate your scalp."

Ricky: "Eggs?"

Lucy takes a mini plunger and moves it over Ricky's head.

Ricky: "Honey! What are you doing?"

Lucy: "Mixing in the eggs."

Ricky: "Oil, vinegar, eggs. Why don't you put some anchovies and make it a Cesaer salad?"

"Ricky Thinks He's Going Bald"

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎21 at 2:47 AM, VCRTracking said:

Stealing John Wayne's footprints in front of Graumann's Chinese Theater as a souvenir to take home? How did she not think she was committing a crime?

She had committed crimes simply to be in Ricky's shows in the past, why not for a souvenir? I recall her tying up one performer and locking her in a janitor's closet in order for her to be in a duet with Ricky. In another episode she had Fred drive a young. attractive Cuban dancer from their apartment building to the Tropicana by way of Philadelphia so she couldn't dance at the club. As well, she also kited a cheque for the props and costumes for the operetta, tried to scam a radio show for a Hawaiian vacation, and sneaked into a Broadway theatre to see Most Happy Fella without proper tickets. And those were actions she knew were offenses. There were other things like the Ladies Overseas Aid raffle that she did that were illegal but she was unaware of at the time.

Why yes, I do have way too much time on my hands :)

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 5

In another episode she had Fred drive a young. attractive Cuban dancer from their apartment building to the Tropicana by way of Philadelphia so she couldn't dance at the club.

I love in that episode for the how Fred pretending to be a cabbie pronounced it "Pilladelphia!" and after the dancer leaves Lucy smiles at Ethel and puts her fingers to the side of her head to make devil horns!

(edited)

When Cousin Ernie(Tennessee Ernie Ford) first appears:

Lucy: You walked all the way from Long Island?!

Ernie: Yup. Ding-donged if it ain't.

Lucy: What?

Ernie: A long island!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
On 5/20/2016 at 11:47 PM, VCRTracking said:

On the episodes this is Lucy at her most frustrating. Stealing John Wayne's footprints in front of Graumann's Chinese Theater as a souvenir to take home? How did she not think she was committing a crime?

Because in her mind, it's only a crime if you get caught.

• Love 1

I recognized her immediately when I saw the episode as a kid and said "That's Judy Jetson!" I didn not know however the other teenager, the really goofy kid who had a crush on Lucy was Richard Crenna, Colonel Trautman from the Rambo movies!

• Love 2
On April 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Crucial said:

Nice to see it's getting fixed.  I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the link.  Nice!

The new statue was unveiled on Saturday, on what would have been Lucille Ball's 105th birthday. Check it out (just google "Lucille Ball statue.") It's a vast improvement, but I wish it had shown Lucy doing something funny. The original with the Vitameatavegamin bottle was a good idea; it just wasn't executed well.

• Love 1
On June 13, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Janet Waldo, the voice of Judy Jetson, passed away. She played the part of Peggy, the teenager in love with Ricky.  

Remember, "Keep jigglin', Peggy, keep jigglin'!"

I just found out she was over 30 years old when she played a teenager in that episode.   Keep jigglin Peggy is also a quote we still bring up and laugh about.

On May 19, 2016 at 9:06 PM, dustylil said:

The hairstyles of Dishwater Mertz and Frowzy Ricardo will really stand out then.

All these years I didn't know what Frowzy  really meant. Recently a friend was telling me a story and said "you know it was frowzy looking"  I said what?  Frowzy, what do you mean?"  She said "you know not the right color. the color was off"  LOL!  mystery solved.  I thought frowzy meant wild, which I think it also means.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, LucyEth said:

I just found out she was over 30 years old when she played a teenager in that episode.   Keep jigglin Peggy is also a quote we still bring up and laugh about.

She was also seven months pregnant.  That's why Peggy is always wearing an overcoat in all her scenes.

• Love 1

In the 'Men are Messy' episode, I think it was, & she's turned the apartment into a total wreck when the photographer was coming over, this is one of my son's favorite lines...

Ricky - "This place is a regular pigpen!"

Lucy -  "It ain't a regular one, but it'll do."

On the plane on the way home from Europe & she's got that huge cheese wrapped up like a baby; Ricky won't sit with her when he finds out. I love it when he says "I am not the father of that cheese!"

On 11/20/2015 at 9:49 PM, legaleagle53 said:

I say, "Oh, Honestly!" all the time, in exactly the same exasperated tone.

I use that and also love "Oh, never mind!" just about in the same tone.

"Lay me doon and dee" is hard to work into conversations, but I do try.

I also like to call my credit card my "charger plate"

Edited by Nordly Beaumont

Recently, one of those nostalgia channels -- Decades or MeTV -- did an "I Love Lucy" marathon. They were episodes I think I've never seen -- in one, Little Ricky has tonsillitis and the other, Lucy and Ricky & Fred and Ethel are in Italy touring with Ricky's band but staying at this tiny hotel (it's not the vineyard episode) during Little Ricky's birthday. I came to the conclusion that when the focus is on the kid, it ruins the show. In both episodes, all Lucy does is mope and  cry about missing the baby.

This past weekend I enjoyed a movie on Turner Classic Movies named Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima. It is a movie about the Virgin Mary appearing to three children. I have not watched this movie in years!!! One thing I remembered about it was, there are three actors in this movie who appeared on I Love Lucy.

Sammy Ogg who played one of the terrible twins that Lucy babysits to earn money appeared as Francisco, one of the lead characters who sees the vision of the Virgin Mary. The second actor was the gentleman who played Mario, the visiting friend from Italy who stays with the Ricardos. He also appeared in the early episodes in The Seance and as Mr. Beecher in the sublease episode. He plays the father to one of the three children. The third actor was Lou Krugman who played the director in the episode where Lucy tries to get in pictures in Hollywood. He also played the thief in the train robbery episode and was also shown playing the club manager in the Orson Welles and Bob Hope episode. He played a priest in this Fatima movie.

On 4/11/2014 at 2:52 PM, LGGirl said:

The Brown Derby is my second favorite. So relatable. Lucy eating the spaghetti and Ethel cutting it with scissors. Priceless.

My favorite is when Lucy tells Ricky she's expecting. The scene at the end when they are both crying is so touching. The real Lucy and Desi.

know how old Lucy was ? She looked too old to be pregnant to me

1 minute ago, stillhere1900 said:

know how old Lucy was ? She looked too old to be pregnant to me

Lucille Ball may have been close to 40, but Lucy was almost 30, per an earlier episode where Lucy made a bet to always tell the truth. In that episode, she was asked her real age and she said "29," I think.

Lucille Ball had been in movies since the mid-30s but she never reached the level of fame and stardom as her fellow contract players, that I think she would have been able to get away with saying she was younger on the show.