Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Kill The Queen

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Athelwulf's last encounter with Crazypants was bizarrely weird enough.  Involved Crazypants claiming some baby was hers with Ragnar (shot down by Wolfie) followed by attempted seduction involving an offer of whips (which is an item Wolfie seems to like) etc.  Can't wait to see this interaction installment if he manages to rescue her.  And Ecbert will be back for the first time this season!  Give me those crazy and conniving Saxons over those boorish Franks any day, woot!

• Love 6

Give me those crazy and conniving Saxons over those boorish Franks any day, woot!

Me too!

I love Eckbert--he's a great character and he's played really well by Linus. You hate him, but you have to love him, too. I do not want to see him blood eagled, so when he does get his, I hope it isn't that way.

As I think about it--he saved Athelstan from being crucified, and he saved Judith from losing her other ear--so he does have some redeeming qualities. Cannot WAIT for this episode (in an hour)...

Edited by whoknowswho
  • Love 2

and he saved Judith from losing her other ear--so he does have some redeeming qualities. Cannot WAIT...

Well, he did let that other ear get lopped off.  But yeah, she's still got one ear, thanks to him.  Heh.

• Love 1

He had to let one ear go in order to save the dynasty's reputation.  

Ya'll think that Ragnar is now extra pissed at Bjorn now that Floki's baby died?  I think Ragnar can pragmatically overcome a lot, but he will not get over feeling that Bjorn is responsible for the death of Floki's daughter.  

Queen Kwen can throw dem hands.

Those heffas weren't ready and it was awesome.

Don't care much for Aslug, but not here for Ragnar slapping her.

Had that been Lagertha.....

LOL @ Floki, captured by the kids.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 2

Poor Floki’s daughter. :( 

I admit that I wasn’t feeling this one for most of the story.  Too much time spent away from Kettegat and the Judith storyline in particular bored me to tears.  But they definitely made up for it with an awesome battle scene, which included Prince Hodor (That’s what I call Ecbert’s son because he looked like Hodor after he wandered around in a daze last season) and Queen Crazypants getting into particularly wild battles.

The scene during the chase of Floki was gorgeous and the icy grave sequence at the end was also striking.

• Love 5

Shallow thought #1 -- how does Floki's eyeliner stay on so long?  Maybe it's Maybelline.

Shallow thought # 2 -- that haircut did not do Rollo any favors.  Nor did the clothes.  The laughter was inevitable.  Too bad.  He was smoking hot last week in that shirtless scene.

So, Princess Crazypants is a BAMF.  Good for her.

Didn't Judith make the beast with two backs with Athelstan?  Isn't he the father of her child and isn't that why her ear was cut off?  That being the case -- why would her Father-in-law import another monk -- another young, good-looking monk -- to teach her?  Is he tempting her -- trying to set her up?  Or is he really trying to please her by giving her the lessons she wants?  I don't trust him.

That fight at the tower was realistically brutal, both upstairs and down.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6

I felt terrible for poor Helga and her child.  

I am so conflicted about Ragnar - I can't condone his physical abuse of Aslaug.  And that made me despise him.  But then he was kind to Helga. So I am conflicted. 

I hate Floki. I actually hate him more for what he has done to his own family than the murder of Athelstan.

Rollo, you gotta learn Frankish fast.

• Love 3

Wessex is my favorite part of the show. Aethelwulf and Ecbert are in my top 3 along with Lagertha. I love all of it except Judith. Ugh, I wish we could get rid of her.

I'm sick of all the Athelstan adulation. I liked him at first, but by the time he died I was glad to see him go. I was not happy to see spirit him in the previews. I hope we're not bogged down with scenes of Ecbert and Judith all but worshiping him. We get enough of that from douchebag Ragnar.

You know, I didn't like Aslaug at first, but I've really grown to love her. It just makes me hate Ragnar all the more (and I already hated him plenty).

The Franks are a big ol bore fest. I could do without that part of the show.

• Love 1

What happened to Floki's daughter? How did she die?

Ecbert is back! My hottie King! Kwenthrith fought like a shield maiden. You go, girl. Athelwulf was no slouch either.

Agreed that Judith is a snooze.

Rollo kept his shirt on. :-(

• Love 1

Rollo needs to go berserker on Gisla, get some action going in France, never mind the haircut and fancy clothes. Stay Viking Rollo, don't change.

Poor Floki's daughter. Poor Helga.

The battle to rescue Queen Crazypants was great, those two guys really beat the hell out of each other. I was impressed with the Queen fighting off, what, three or four people.

• Love 5

This episode was amazing. I loved every minute. Not a wife beater fan but, damn, she had to know it was coming. Ragnar had about popped with rage. Imagine if that convo happened after Helga's daughter died. Bye bye Aslaug.

I'm quite astonished at Floki not taking the out he was given. After all, he only loves himself.

Wondering the end game in training Judith to illuminate. You know Eckbert is all about the long con.

Can't wait til next week.

• Love 6

I can just cry...

We are having hellacious winds and the dish on our roof is finicky--went out every time the wind blew a gust--I call it "Fill in the blanks TV" You have to guess what's happening for 10 seconds every 50 seconds!~. Very annoying. :(

All the important parts got missed--so I'm watching it on another channel with less wind. So--some things are making more sense.

While I remember-- didn't Queen Crazypants tell Eckbert her kid is his? (Didn't they get busy once last year or a season ago?)  Is that why he said "save the son"?

Bitch be crazy, is all.

Didn't hear what happened (or see) with Ragnar and Aslaug, so I just got that he struck her. Missed Floki, and saw but didn't hear what happened to Floki and Helga's child. Though this time around--she did cough.

Parts of tonight were too "300" or Gladiator with the soldiers all doing martial arts with primal oohrahs--you gotta admit they were doing pretty wicked moves for the Dark Ages. Not really believable--give me a good Viking Berserker any day.

I have always both loved and hated Floki, the demented little leprachaun--but now he can go. Keep Eckbert though--he slays me. He is just so...bad.

And Judith painting with another monk? No...again--bad idea, why go there.

I also hate that Rollo and sad Princess are going all Harlequin Romance.

It's windy again. 

Why would Bjorn be responsible for Floki's daughter dying?

Most of this episode bored me until the fight scene at the end.

Rollo's Fabio-style makeover was awful. He needs to stay grimy and shirtless.

I don't condone domestic violence but I wasn't too terribly bothered by Aslaug getting popped in the face. She had it coming.

• Love 4

Bjorn could be considered responsible since he was the one who outed Floki for killing the priest. Ragnar was not happy 

I am confused though about Flokis daughters death. Ragnar did not kill her some how did he?  My other half thinks so - I do not.

Edited by ArizonaGrown

I get the feeling most of the debate surrounding this episode will focus on The Slap. I was disappointed in Ragnar - I neither love nor hate Aslaug, but I've always felt that along with his curiosity and cunning, the fact that he's never laid violent hands on a woman/child is what set Ragnar apart from his brethren. (Well, except that time he ordered the deaths of Horik's wife and daughters. Ahem). 

There was some good stuff here, but again I feel that the cast/story is too scattered. I have faith that it'll all conjoin eventually, but at one point we're watching a scene between two characters that I realized are only connected to the main cast by the fact that the dude is getting information from a woman who is sleeping with an army general who is working for the Emperor of Paris whose daughter has been married off to the brother of the actual main character of the show.

I've never liked Prince Jerkface and Princess Crazypants more than when (both covered in blood) they acknowledged each other post-life-saving. He just nods in exhaustion and she snarls: "what took you so long?" It might be a cliche, but it's a classic for a reason. 

Not sure what Ecbert is up to, but I find it hard to believe he's doing all this for his daughter-in-law out of the goodness of his heart. Be careful, Judith. You've already lost one ear to this guy. 

So Ragnar's punishment for Floki is not only the god Loki's punishment after he killed Baldur the Beautiful (being tied up in a cave with acid/water dripping on his head) but filled with obvious Christian symbolism. This is when the show is at its most interesting: in exploring the fundamental similarities between belief-structures as well as their differences. 

• Love 2

Ecbert, you sleazy motherfucker!  I missed your so much, you smug bastard!  Linus Roache is still one of my favorites on this show.  Also enjoyed the return of Kray-Kray Kwenthrith, and even Aethelwulf.  Not so much with Judith, and I'm not sure why I should be invested in her wanting these reading lessons, unless it is going to end up being majorly important in the long run.  Although Ecbert helping her get them is pretty open-minded of him, so, yay?

Also not sure what to make of all the stuff in France, outside of Rollo.  I get his thing is trying to protect themselves from future attacks and I guess trying to adjust to a new life, new clothes, and a new haircut, but we've got Count Odo apparently trying to plan something over the Emperor, and now Odo's BDSM buddy is plotting something against him, with someone I don't recognized?  Getting a bit too Game of Thrones there.  I might need to start taking notes.

Ragnar hitting Aslaug was harsh, even if her saying Athlestan's death was unimportant was probably not the brightest thing to say at that moment, or really, any time around Ragnar.  But I'm guess that's just going to be added to the list of reasons she will probably try to destroy him.

Floki makes a nice attempt at an escape, but has been recaptured, and is currently being strung up in a Jesus-style pose, which has got to suck.  And he hasn't even found out about his daughter's death yet.

Bjorn does a lot of ice fishing, I guess.  Just don't turn it into The Revenant and have him get attacked by a bear.

Episode obviously loose points with me for no Lagertha.

• Love 1

I am confused though about Flokis daughters death. Ragnar did not kill her some how did he?  My other half thinks so - I do not.

I fell asleep and missed this.   Husband thinks Ragnar is not responsible, but he has no clue who is. 

Ragnar finds Floki's wife flailing away at the ice and rocks. He asks her what she's doing. She responds she's digging a grave for her daughter. When he asks her how her child died, she responds: "Does it matter?". He asks her if she's told Floki, and she says no. 

He helps her bury the child. We never see the child, just the wrapped up body. 

• Love 2

We hear Floki's daughter cough once during that scene.  Were they basically exiled after Floki's arrest.

Not condoning Ragnar striking Aslaug.  It's laughable for him to complain about her loyalty when he loses interest in his wives after about a decade.  But it's further proof that Athlestan was his one, true love.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Unfortunately for Asslog, it was "normal" behaviour in those times for men to strike their wives. I had the feeling that she was deliberately provoking him though. Not justifying his action just explaining.  She knew how much Athelstan meant to Ragnar so her comment seemed as an invitation for him to react badly. Lagertha would have ripped him a new one with her bare hands but then she never would have made the comment to begin with.

Ragnar's love of children is again evident when he digs the grave for Floki's little girl. At least he was there so Helga didn't have to do it alone.

Linus Roache is so delicious! I'm not sure what his total endgame is, other than he loves to manipulate everyone around him and wants to be the King of a united England. IA with Crackers that he is about the long con.

Hmm, so could Magnus be Ecbert's? 

• Love 5

Well, show, if you want to set me on the road where I'll be happy when Ragnar goes to Valhalla and the show goes on without him, having him hit his wife for disagreeing with him is a very good start. Nothing honorable about that at all.

Queen Kray! Nice to have you back, you nutty vixen, you!

From the recap:

all Skarsgards have amazing legs

Damn, yes.

• Love 2

If memory serves me correct, trailers for this season (shown at last season's end) had Bjorn (means "Bear") fighting a real Bear.

Ecbert, you sleazy motherfucker!  I missed your so much, you smug bastard!  Linus Roache is still one of my favorites on this show.  Also enjoyed the return of Kray-Kray Kwenthrith, and even Aethelwulf.  Not so much with Judith, and I'm not sure why I should be invested in her wanting these reading lessons, unless it is going to end up being majorly important in the long run.  Although Ecbert helping her get them is pretty open-minded of him, so, yay?

Also not sure what to make of all the stuff in France, outside of Rollo.  I get his thing is trying to protect themselves from future attacks and I guess trying to adjust to a new life, new clothes, and a new haircut, but we've got Count Odo apparently trying to plan something over the Emperor, and now Odo's BDSM buddy is plotting something against him, with someone I don't recognized?  Getting a bit too Game of Thrones there.  I might need to start taking notes.

Ragnar hitting Aslaug was harsh, even if her saying Athlestan's death was unimportant was probably not the brightest thing to say at that moment, or really, any time around Ragnar.  But I'm guess that's just going to be added to the list of reasons she will probably try to destroy him.

Floki makes a nice attempt at an escape, but has been recaptured, and is currently being strung up in a Jesus-style pose, which has got to suck.  And he hasn't even found out about his daughter's death yet.

Bjorn does a lot of ice fishing, I guess.  Just don't turn it into The Revenant and have him get attacked by a bear.

Episode obviously loose points with me for no Lagertha.

This is back when it was more the norm for children to die than to live (see also:  Gitte), so I don't think anyone was responsible for Helga's daughter's death.  As she said, "does it matter" what actually killed her?  Probably some sickness that is quite curable these days.  That doesn't mean that Floki won't blame Ragnar, nor that Ragnar won't blame Bjorn.

I think Ecbert is playing the long con with Judith - making her think he's giving her freedom (and keeping her thus happy), while setting her up so that he has something to hold over her head (maybe hoping she'll sleep with this priest as well) so that he can get rid of her, if circumstances dictate.  He might want his son free to marry Queen Cray Cray in order to get a hold of Wessex to add to his kingdom.  Having Judith killed for being an unrepentant slut having sex with several monks would free him up.  She doesn't even need to actually have sex with this new guy - just be caught in a compromising position.

I've always liked Aslug, so I'm not happy with Ragnar slapping her.  But again - common during this era.  And Ragnar has been looking for his next ex-wife for a while now - he's over Aslug and has been since Sigard was conceived probably.  Ivar was the icing on the cake of "need a new wife".

Loved that Odo's S&M partner is trying to play him.  She won't succeed, but it should be interesting to see how far she gets.  She's paying a high price for her con though - those were some wicked slashes on her back.  I hope she takes care of them and doesn't end up with an infection.  There's no penicillin yet. 

Rollo needs to go back to his Viking look - those new Paris fashions just don't do justice to him.  Long hair and shirtless is always in fashion, Rollo!

• Love 3

I feel like someone said this before, but I can't help comparing Aethelwulf to The Princess Bride's Humperdink. No one respects him, although he did fight mightily to get to Queen Kwenthrith.  He's just "the King's stinking son" whose wife is being set up for execution by his puppetmaster of a father.  Fascinating...

Our favorite crazy queen can fight like a wolverine, though!  Originally, she told Aetherwulf/Humperdink that the baby was Ragnar's, and I suspected that she had acquired him through shady means.  I also thought she might try to pass him off as Ecbert's too, just for the sake of convenience, but after watching her fight to protect him, if occurred to me that maybe she really does love him.  Unless she's just that desperate (and crazy) to continue the ruse, which is still entirely possible.

And I didn't think it was possible to make Rollo "un-hot", but sending him to Count Odo's hairdresser and putting him in frou-frou clothing is a good way to start.  Gisla laughing at him was odd.  She saw him defeat her father's armies single-handedly- she knows he's dangerous, so why would she poke the bear like that?  He didn't rape her on their wedding night, but that hardly makes him civilized.  

The accomplice of Odo's dungeon partner has been shown a few times.  He seems to be Odo's right hand man.  This could be fun, although I hope it isn't drawn out too long.  

This week, I was least interested in what was going on in Kattegat.  I don't think Ragnar's going to kill Floki, Aslaug's run for power will come back to bite her, and Bjorn caught a fish.  Big whoop.

• Love 3

Crazy people tend to fight like animals, and Queen Crazypants didn't disappoint.  

Historically, I know Rollo survives, but does Gisla?  'Cause laughing at him is a dangerous thing.  I know she thinks he's a Viking savage, but laughing in his face and in front of other people, is truly poking the bear.

Odo's dungeon partner is so going to die when he finds out about the deception, and it's probably going to be by his hand in that dungeon.  I'm not looking forward to seeing that.  *shudder*

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I feel bad for Aethelwulf as well. Ecbert's advisors write him off as a spoiled rich kid, but the guy's not a total pansy. That hand to hand fight with the guard at the end was brutal.

Ecbert is definitely playing the long con with Judith. He wants her gone and setting her up with an Athelstan doppelganger will give Judith plenty of rope to hang herself.

I don't think Ragnar killed Floki's daughter. I mean he's a dick, but that would be taking it to a whole new level. He seems genuinely fond of Helga, so I can't see him hurting her like that.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Didn't Odo's extracurricular partner mention that her husband doesn't pay attention to her? The bearded guy tending her woulnds must her husband and this is how she helping him get rid of Odo so that he can be Charles the Weak- kneeed Prissypants' right hand man.

So not a good look for Rollo. :P Gisla is an idiot. 

So Ragnar's punishment for Floki is not only the god Loki's punishment after he killed Baldur the Beautiful (being tied up in a cave with acid/water dripping on his head) but filled with obvious Christian symbolism

Serpent venom, not acid, but yes, very similar, as was Floki/Loki's capture. Loki turned himself into a salmon and was "fished" out of the water, much as Floki was. We also see Bjorn catching a fish around the same time. Now the question is - where will that similarity end? Floki is not a god and will die of hypothermia or heart/lung failure from the stress position he is in. Will Ragnar release him or let him die?

Edited by basil
  • Love 5

I think Ecbert is playing the long con with Judith - making her think he's giving her freedom (and keeping her thus happy), while setting her up so that he has something to hold over her head (maybe hoping she'll sleep with this priest as well) so that he can get rid of her, if circumstances dictate.  He might want his son free to marry Queen Cray Cray in order to get a hold of Wessex to add to his kingdom.  Having Judith killed for being an unrepentant slut having sex with several monks would free him up.  She doesn't even need to actually have sex with this new guy - just be caught in a compromising position.

We know he wants to be king of a united Bretwalda. Maybe he plans to humor her until he can manage to gain Aella's kingdom (Northumbria is it called?).  Then, like you say, he can orchestrate some kind of scandal with the monk and get rid of her. He'll have no more use for that family after he takes their lands and she's already provided male heirs, so...but, I'm totally getting ahead of the show here.

When's the last time we even saw King Aella? Surely, he has to come back into play at some point.

I think I'd actually enjoy Aethelwulf and Kwenthrith. I doubt it'd happen though. Mercia is ripe for the taking as it is. No marriage necessary.

Edited by Silverglitter

The episode was great and all, but I'd like to mention a point that may goes unapreciated : Judith fighting to learn illumination and study of the text was a really nice move. I was afraid she'd go more power hungry when Ecberth asked her what her true desire was, but that opens way more interesting doors for the future ! Curious to see what will come of it !

Okay, perhaps Ecberth is only doing that so he can get rid of her, trying to blame her of being a slut for monks, but I really hope there's a longer plan, a more clever one for him. Sure, he aint giving her these lessons just out of the goodness of his heart, but I sincerly think he doesnt necessarly want to harm her... I always though he was... intrigued by her. Time will tell.

I feel like someone said this before, but I can't help comparing Aethelwulf to The Princess Bride's Humperdink. No one respects him, although he did fight mightily to get to Queen Kwenthrith.  He's just "the King's stinking son" whose wife is being set up for execution by his puppetmaster of a father.  Fascinating...

I respect Aethelwuf ! Because nobody likes him while he deserves it and I like the actor ! But yeah, wonder if Wulfie will one day get some recognition ! 

Oh, and I didnt realized that I missed Kwentrith so much until I saw her crazy maniacal fierce lioness face in that scene ! ^^

Edited by Triskan
  • Love 3

1. Who ever is in charge of cinematography really stepped up the game this episode. Same for the soundtrack guy.

2 I ship Aethelwulf and Kwenthrith. Ever since the awkward meeting last season. Call me crazy

3. Aethelwulf  is clearly brave, intelligent and competent . He's been successful in  all his actions so far hasnt he ? What he  lacks is the ambition and dominating attitude all the other kings have.   Kwenthrith has ambition and attitude in spades. What she lacks is caution and the character to do a long con.  The two of them couldwork very well together as some sort of partners

• Love 5

All the important parts got missed--so I'm watching it on another channel with less wind. So--some things are making more sense.

While I remember-- didn't Queen Crazypants tell Eckbert her kid is his? (Didn't they get busy once last year or a season ago?)  Is that why he said "save the son"?

Bitch be crazy, is all.

I don't remember who is the father of Kwenthrith's kid is but at the time I thought that Eckbert said "save the son" because he's the heir to her throne. If the Queen dies, they can still use the son to get control of that area.

I'm annoyed that Floki's daughter died. I know kids died a lot back then, but it came out of no where and seemed more like a cheep writing ploy then a logical step in the story. 

Edited by Rockstar99435
  • Love 1

Kwenthrith claims that Ragnar is Magnus' father. She said it to Aethelwulf last season before she tried to bed him.

Whether it's true or not remains to be seen. There are a lot of candidates for her son's father. Probably far more than we even know about knowing Kwenthrith's appetite. :D

• Love 1

Is it ironic if Odo is blood eagled and he enjoys it?

Odo is a sadist, he enjoys inflicting pain, probably not so much experiencing it.

I actually don't wish the blood eagle on anybody on the show, not even creepy Odo.

• Love 3

Aslaug, don't ever dump on Athelstan to Ragnar.  You totally deserved worse than a slap.  (No domestic violence in play here.  Ragnar would have done that to anyone, male or female or robot).  What a treacherous, plotting villain she has become.  She should be Rollo's wife.  They have the same ambitions. 

And no.  Ragnar didn't kill Helga's daughter.  He was trying to keep both alive.  Nor was the daughter and Helga living outside.  They were sitting in Floki's old boat shed when Ragnar found them with the food.  The boat shed was just a short walk from the cabin up on the hill.

Looks like Bjorn just signed a contract with a cable network to star in the latest Alaska survivalist series.  Was expecting his scenes to cut over next to Sue talking about humans being part of the food chain.

Magnus isn't Ragnar's son.  The closest he and Queen Crazypants ever got together was when she peed on his wound after that one battle.  Can't get pregnant from that last I heard.  But good point made above by PatsyandEddie that Magnus could be Ecbert's.  We saw that he "slept" with her that first meeting to the extent he finally had to stumble out of the bedchamber he was so exhausted.  Had to send in his guards to keep her satisfied as he went to get some real "sleep" finally.

Great fight scene at the end.  People just didn't die with a punch or two either.  They were fighting and clinging to life in what felt like real desperation.  Felt very realistic and intense.  Well fought, acted and filmed.  Queen Crazypants going all Princess Leia with that line to Athelwulf at the end was just icing on the cake.

So Athelstan 2.0 is some monk called Proteus of Twa  (?) or at least that is how his name sounded to me.  I like Judith a lot and I was pleasantly surprised she chose knowledge and skill over power.  That is very refreshing compared to almost everyone not Athelstan in this series so far.  Ecbert is playing her but hey not all of Ecbert's plans are going to go according to his wishes I hope.

Adding to the growing characters is Odo's chief lieutenant getting more air time.  From helping Rollo massacre all of the Vikings to plotting against Odo.  Well I guess it is better then watching Rollo turn into a poofy-looking "noble" though again the Franks bore me. 

How much more the episode picked up in Wessex over the Franco-snoozefest.  How much more it would have picked up with Lagertha and Kalf the latter of whom probably gained a year or two to his life by providing her with that little favor with the crossbow ambush of Einar et al.   I'd rather see how the two of them are getting along and where Erlunder fits in with all this since he led the crossbowmen in the ambush far more than Frankish court intrigue.

Edited by green
  • Love 4