Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/22/16

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 2/22: Lewis Black, Stacy London
Tu 2/23: Tracee Ellis Ross
We 2/24: Tom Selleck
Th 2/25: Hugh Jackman, Taron Egerton
Fr 2/26: Jodie Sweetin, Andrea Barber, Soni Bringas, Michael Campion, Elias Harger

Hey everyone. I wanted to post a reminder that news and politics are considered off-topic on PTV forums. Discussing the show topics and the hosts' opinions in a light manner are fine, but please do not use it as a launching pad to discuss politics or your personal views. As it is an election year, I understand that controversial topics and people can get us carried away, but this is not a news forum. We are here to talk about the show and the hosts. Please be aware of your posting. At any time, you may Ignore other posters in your Control Panel.

You can continue post new weekly episode topics. If you have any additional questions, please PM me. Thank you.

• Love 2

I had stuff to comment about but I already forgot.

eta: I remembered.  Screw you Paula about "journalistic responsibility" yours sucks.  And Whoopi?  Duh, of course they just (the media) cover the horse race and create drama, that's how they keep people dialed into their nonsense.

Did I sense the Whoopi/Joy tension when Joy expressed her preference for Hillary?

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2

I thought the same thing when Paula was talking about how powerful the media is and how people should be careful what they say. That's right, Paula, and you've been the biggest offender on the show when it comes to dangerous messages and Trump pimpage.

EDIT: Then again, this panel includes Candace, Raven, and Whoopi. So maybe not the biggest offender.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 6

I just noticed that in the intro Whoopi doesn't use her last name. Is that new? I never noticed before. Whatevs. :-)

It's new this season, last year she was Whoopi Goldberg in the titles and announcer said both names.   Maybe because it's really The Whoopi Show now?  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

To start with, I don't believe for a minute that the only time Cameron allows herself to judge other parents is when she sees their kid eating a Happy Meal.  I think she probably starts judging people the minute she lays eyes on them.

That being said, did anyone else get the feeling that it wasn't so much the sight of a kid eating a single donut that bothered Miss Priss as much as the visible effect of that donut (and presumably many, many more donuts) on this theoretical child's waistline?  Because yeah, I think what she was really saying is she judges a parent for having an overweight child.  

Either that or she really does feel entitled to turn her nose up at someone for what she sees their child eat at one single, solitary sitting, and that is just dumb.  But then so is she.  Dumb.  And it's hard to feel superior to people all the time if you start getting picky about your reasons to look down on them, so maybe she really does think that way. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 9

I tried to post this over two hours ago, but the site had gone down..it's back up again, so hopefully, my post will take!

I don't know. I looked real closely to see if I could make out Whoopi's expression when Joy said she liked Hillary, and then said she liked Bernie...actually, she liked both of them. Anyhoo, I didn't sense any tension whatsoever.  And y'all know I'm no fan of Whoopi (anymore).

Paula can just shut up, and please, please whoever it is, telling her to try and be funny, to just STOP IT!. She isn't funny and she looks insincere when she tries or thinks she "did a funny."

Suuuure, Candace. Your kids have only gone to McDonald's "two times" that you know of. And why is McDonald's getting picked on? Doesn't CalifornIA have Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's?????

I was really enjoying the conversation, and then Raven had to was told change the subject to something "light" and did the Black History month FYI. And...was she being facetious?

Oh and Candace, how do you know "other parents" are feeding their children "sugar" and soft drinks during the day/morning? Are you spying on them? Did you have junk food while working on the set of Full House? I seem to recall a Very Special Episode dedicated to the weight that DJ (Your CHARACTER) had and was starving herself and going overboard on the treadmill...not to be mean, but how did you get so pudgy if you weren't eating right/healthy? Or is it because you ate junk food all the time, you feel you can judge?

Love Lewis Black. Please don't ever come back. Go to Trevor's show or Larry's show, instead. I'd add John Oliver, but he doesn't do the guest stint. Oh, and Stephen Colbert.

And in case if y'all are wondering if Whoopi did the woo-woo on me...SHADDUP, Whoopi! Yes, you guys are "those women" from that show that President Obama shouldn't have come on. Because you are NOT intelligent women. Save for maybe Joy. You all talk out of your asses and are always two days to a week behind hot topics and by the way you utter your opinions, it's clear you haven't bothered to research (Google, Bing, yahoo search) the subject so that you have the information. Exhibit A. Apple v. FBI.

And I'm surely going to hell, but the person from Mob Wives? who passed away? When they showed her face, all I could think was, is that what she really looked like or was she yet another example of plastic surgery gone AMOK?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

And I'm surely going to hell, but the person from Mob Wives? who passed away? When they showed her face, all I could think was, is that what she really looked like or was she yet another example of plastic surgery gone AMOK?

Actually it's really sad She died from throat cancer than went to her brain. She smoked for 40 years.

• Love 2

I was really enjoying the conversation, and then Raven had to was told change the subject to something "light" and did the Black History month FYI. And...was she being facetious?

Oh and Candace, how do you know "other parents" are feeding their children "sugar" and soft drinks during the day/morning? Are you spying on them? Did you have junk food while working on the set of Full House? I seem to recall a Very Special Episode dedicated to the weight that DJ (Your CHARACTER) had and was starving herself and going overboard on the treadmill...not to be mean, but how did you get so pudgy if you weren't eating right/healthy? Or is it because you ate junk food all the time, you feel you can judge?

1. please share the secret to doing strikethrough font, I need that to perfect my snark.

2. CCB aka BAB had an eating disorder big time back in the day

3. You are correct, as much as I love me some Big Ang, she is an example of plastic surgery gone amok, as is most of the cast of Mob Wives.  shhhh, don't judge.

• Love 4

1. please share the secret to doing strikethrough font, I need that to perfect my snark.

2. CCB aka BAB had an eating disorder big time back in the day

3. You are correct, as much as I love me some Big Ang, she is an example of plastic surgery gone amok, as is most of the cast of Mob Wives.  shhhh, don't judge.

NextIteration:

1.  within brackets text you want stricken [/insert s]

2. I didn't know that, but she has made me dislike her so much and she gets me all ragey and stabby, that I refuse to feel bad about what I said. Yes, I'm surely going to burn in Hell.

3.  Yikes!

• Love 3

It's possible that Candace has only given her kids McDonald's twice in their life time, but I'm sure she's let them eat at other fast food burger joints. I swear awhile back (year or two ago) she was posting about how much she loved some burger place.

I thought I read once that Candace herself had an eating disorder as a child (after claiming many times that her parents were on the look out for that sort of thing due to her brother's co-star developing anorexia). I do feel that Candace has an unhealthy relationship with food based on tweets that she has made in the past. (She would comment about how she had over indulged over the weekend or whatever and then state that she had to work extra hard at the gym, or how she would deny herself a dessert cos it was so unhealthy - the fact that she was constantly stating how much she worked out or how healthy she ate is what I consider to be an "unhealthy relationship" with food

• Love 1

To start with, I don't believe for a minute that the only time Cameron allows herself to judge other parents is when she sees their kid eating a Happy Meal. I think she probably starts judging people the minute she lays eyes on them.

That being said, did anyone else get the feeling that it wasn't so much the sight of a kid eating a single donut that bothered Miss Priss as much as the visible effect of that donut (and presumably many, many more donuts) on this theoretical child's waistline? Because yeah, I think what she was really saying is she judges a parent for having an overweight child.

Either that or she really does feel entitled to turn her nose up at someone for what she sees their child eat at one single, solitary sitting, and that is just dumb. But then so is she. Dumb. And it's hard to feel superior to people all the time if you start getting picky about your reasons to look down on them, so maybe she really does think that way.

CCB needs to be extra careful with her judgy attitude. Kids pick up on that and karma is a bitch. I had relatives and friends who judged my weight when i was only 30 lbs. Over weight. I wish i wd only that much over weight now. Both relatives and friends' kids are really over weight, much more than I ever was.

• Love 3

nm - trying to figure out that strike-out thing on text and I can't get it!!  

Today's show kind of bored me, but CCB judging parents when she sees kids with sodas or doughnuts in the morning....did she ever thing that maybe it is that kid's birthday, and the Mom said that the child can choose what they want to eat, just for that day??  (I used to do this when my kids were young).

Also, one of my sons has ADHD... and some doctors, etc., have recommended to offer the child a caffeine soda in the morning, in lieu of ADD meds - not sure if it works, but I've read it many, many times.  

Solution - don't judge too harshly.  Karma can and will come back to you!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 1

Love Lewis Black. Please don't ever come back. Go to Trevor's show or Larry's show, instead. I'd add John Oliver, but he doesn't do the guest stint. Oh, and Stephen Colbert.

The funniest part about Raven "changing the subject to something lighter," was that Paula didn't even realize she was talking about Black History Month at first, because she started to respond Raven, and then, "Oh!" And after Raven was done reading, Joy talked about all the horrible things that happened to the person they'd highlighted (sorry, it flew by and I have no memory who it was), and Raven's face fell like a child whose balloon was burst in her face. I know this show is a trainwreck most of the time, but it makes me laugh. "Christian on Christian crime."

I love Lewis Black, too. Some days he's better than others, but he was pretty good this morning. They must've been having a teleprompter malfunction while he was there: this is why they can't get guests.

I remember the "Mob Wives" woman visiting the show before, and she did seem like a sweetheart. Sad to hear she passed.

• Love 2

Disclosure - I have not seen the show yet.

Re Happy Meals. CCB's kids are teens and only eaten at McDonalds twice (that she knows of)?

I looked at HM's - a tiny burger, tiny fries, fruit or yogurt, options for drinks that are not soda.

I've always thought for little kids a HM would be a treat - not a staple of their diet. Then a little kid becomes a big kid.

ETA - they could swap out the burger for 4 chicken nuggets.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 2

Oh and Candace, how do you know "other parents" are feeding their children "sugar" and soft drinks during the day/morning? Are you spying on them?

She said first thing in the morning because I kept thinking how does she know what parents are feeding their kids for breakfast?    It kind of reminded me of how Bitsy used to patrol the park looking for young lovers making out, LOL. Does Candace cruise Starbucks and McDonalds before work looking for lazy moms?   

By the way, was Born Again Barbie due at a cocktail party directly after the show?  Is that dress or blouse or whatever appropriate for a morning talk show?  Of course she sits right next to Whoopi so clearly it doesn't matter.    At least she's lost the pageant hair - for now.  

I know this show is a trainwreck most of the time, but it makes me laugh. "Christian on Christian crime."

That was pretty good.  And it perfectly demonstrated why I prefer Paula to BAB times ten.  Besides the fact that Paula actually has an education and broadcast experience, she's real.  She tells real stories [my littlest one's first word was "nugget" LOL] where Candace will say she has a tattoo but won't say of what or where.  And I never get the feeling that Paula is being all judgey - which is something I can practically see oozing from BAB.  

nm - trying to figure out that strike-out thing on text and I can't get it!!

word or phrase you want to strike out [/ s] only remove the space between the / and the s.

I love Lewis Black, too. Some days he's better than others, but he was pretty good this morning. They must've been having a teleprompter malfunction while he was there: this is why they can't get guests.

If by teleprompter malfunction you mean Miss Whoopi moderating , then I agree.  I mean, I know Whoopi sucks at reading the teleprompter but today she outdid herself.  Funny how that doesn't really ever happen to Joy or :Paula or really anyone else I see reading a teleprompter on TV. 

• Love 7

Good grief - saw the show. Miss Whoopi - are you black or American - choose one.

CCB - a hole the ground in Japan. Ok, if you insist. Try years ago in Africa or China or India. When I was in China in 1990 little kids had slits in their pants so they could squat when needed. They did not have available bathrooms or tp. Let alone diapers or kleenex. Have some compassion.

I traveled a lot back then internationally - fortunately I was a travel agent back then when they got excellent deals. But understood their conditions.

WG - yes - this show has been full of nitwits - you included.

Sigh.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 4

Does CCB even know what's in a Happy Meal these days?   Way back, in the 80's, early 90's, a happy meal had a burger, fries, Coke and a toy.   You had to request Sprite if you didn't want your kid to have the caffeine in Coke.   But those meals have been changing.  Juice box or carton of milk, apples instead of fries - it's not a terrible meal, not too much different than  what kids will get at school - or at home  for that matter. 

I personally don't eat mcD's - I don't like it.  But, when I had to take one kid to soccer, the other to band, then pick up the first one to go to scouts -  I was thankful for drive-throughs.  AND, when the boys were skinny  teens, I was very thankful for the 99 cent double burgers!  

I'm picturing her husband and kids chowing down on Bic Macs and fries, and dad saying "don't tell mom" .

• Love 11

My sister was against fast food and when her oldest son went to college he gained 30 pounds by eating pizzas and other food that kids like with his buddies. Her husband went to Wendy's occasionally and told me not to tell her. The two other kids also gained weight when they went away to college. So I would bet that Candace's kids do the same while she's in NY. The husband might not because he's an athlete as she has told us a few times. Candace lives in a delusional world where the world needs to be Christian and Republican to have a happy and proper life.

She isn't educated and has followed what her parents and her husband tell her. It's what she is.

• Love 8

I too depended on drive thru Starbucks and MickeyDs a lot when I was carting the kids around to too many activities to count, MickeyDs for food and Starbucks for caffeine so the kids would behave and concentrate wherever they were going because ADHD meds were wearing off.  Can you imagine how CCB/BAB would judge me?

• Love 3

And I still get a Happy Meal for myself every few months when the mood strikes me.  Does every morsel a person ingests have to be "high fiber, low fat, paleo, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, non GMO, organic, locally harvested, cage free" etc?  What about a treat now and then?  Back in the day my kids went to school with some boys whose parents controlled what they ate so far as to bring their own special "good" food to other kids' birthday parties and if the parents didn't stay and enforce the food ingestion, those boys ate all the crap they could get off other kids plates, or their own if the parents in charge gave them a plate.  When they were in my house I didn't consider myself their "food monitors".  

• Love 5

So I missed yesterday and I don't have it recorded. But today... wow.. interesting how the discussion on abortion went. No actual yelling, although some pointed comments towards CCB... god CCB is pissing me off. Hell, Sunni, who's pro life, made more fucking sense. Did Whoopi have an abortion in her life? Because.. how she was talking it made it seem a little personal and I wonder if she got one. 

And thank you Joy for that question towards CCB that made her unable to answer. 

I agree on the death penalty with Joy actually. Sunni... I understand her saying that life is sacred, but some of these assholes in life who are in prison for reason don't believe in the whole "life is sacred" and do what they can to desecrate the life that is sacred.

BAB/CCB sounds like the food police in her home. As soon as one kid escapes they will eat a cupcake a la Timberly in Bits' house escape. I had a cousin who was allowed no candy no treats EVER as a kid and the word "candy" could not even be said out loud. It was called "D-Y" in muffled tones as in, "I cant have that... .D-Y"  My female cousin became an adult and weighed 350 lbs in her early 20s.  Making foods/treats prohibited doesn't work imo.

I hate to say I agree with Whoopi, but she was nailing it on the Planned Parenthood thing. And so was Joy. CCB needs to shut her face. Everyone is not you, BAB.

If CCB doesn't take offense to something, then no one should.

Raven, you did not "fight hard" for anything that I know of. Your mother and grandmothers and greatgrandmothers did.

If we HAVE TO have an R, prolife, churchy person on the panel, I'd rather have Sunny than CCB.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 9
If we HAVE TO have an R, prolife, churchy person on the panel, I'd rather have Sunni than CCB.

Yes, I'm enjoying hearing Sunni talk about these topics more than CCB. Maybe it's because she's in law (a lawyer right?) and she seems to realize there's another side of it, which CCB doesn't. 

Social Media can be hellish towards adults as well, and personally I think a lot of sites shouldn't let people on them until their 18 years old. Or maybe 21? I know that seems strict, but considering the amount of teen bullying I've seen on these sites, it just makes me worried about my younger cousins and I hope they aren't going through it. Bullying sucks no matter what, even adult bullying, but in a way I think we're more able to deal with it as an adult? Or am I not making sense? Sorry. 

John Kasich.. *sigh* Can we have any sort of politician in this country that doesn't seem sexist? I'm beginning to wish for a rebirth thing where I'm a guy and I don't have to worry about jackasses out their trying to reduce my rights to my own body. 

• Love 2

I don't understand why Kasich had to say, "Women came out of their kitchens." to support him. That just stuns me. Women were college grads and had careers in 1978. BLARG.... sexist indeed. It makes me stabby.

Or perhaps there is an implication there (a la CCB's thought process) that only "good" women supported Kasich and therefore they were in "their kitchens" ... you know where good women are supposed to be.

• Love 6

If you guys haven't seen that show, "Black-ish," it is pretty hilarious. (Wed. evening , ABC.) The cast is great imo. Raven only plays a slightly recurring (twice?)  minor roll. I enjoyed the outtakes. And I agree with Joy; Who the hell was Raven imitating with that stupid accent during the Black-ish intro? I didnt' get it.

• Love 1

I swear, I was going to be nice and not say anything today and just read y'all's' comments. But, dammit, Candace is like the gift that keeps on fucking giving! And I can't help myself.

I think she's been taking classes in Bitsy's Word Salads, because I couldn't understand a fucking thing she said about the whole Kasich's defunding of Planned Parenthood and abortion. Unless what she was trying to say was, see? We that oppose abortion can COMPROMISE! We'll let those girls who are pregnant due to rape or incest have abortions! What about women who are raped? They're supposed to give birth to those children? And is Candace willing to foster these kids? They all care about the fetus and pregnancy, but don't give any shits about the women and girls, but once the baby is born, they don't care about them. Someone should tie Candace to a chair and make her watch John Oliver's Last Week Tonight that aired this past Sunday about abortion clinics, so she can get a good idea of how fucking DIFFICULT it is for a 13 year old girl who was raped, to have an abortion.  And what doctors who perform them, are forced to say to these women.

And when will it get through her head, and those who are happy with this defunding, that the NONE of the federal and state funding are for ABORTIONS? It's for all the other health services for women and girls! Even Sunny spelled it out so a 10 year old could understand, but Candace wasn't listening. And I did love how she didn't have an ANSWER (like so many other politicians) when asked to lay out what would work and what would you do?

And Shutup about how what Kasich said is "soooo scandalous" when Trump is saying a lot more offensive and egregious things.  And how niiiice. The clip they aired? They CUT OUT the woman telling Kasich, how she was offended by what he said, but would still support him.  And if Candace thinks what he said wasn't so bad, why doesn't she quit her jobs and go do the stay at home mom thing like her sister, mother of five, and sister-in-law, mother of six? It's not about praising stay at home mothers but assuming that ALL women "back then" in the STONE AGE of 1978, didn't have jobs, except to be in the kitchen and cook.  And if that wasn't his intent, why not say, that his supporters were stay at home mothers? Why bring in that phrase "kitchen" which was implying "barefoot and pregnant" when he said it?  Just because Trump says more offensive, bigoted, racist shit, doesn't mean we shouldn't call out Kasich or anyone else when they talk sexist, misogynistic shit.

As for the social media stuff...what was Candace saying? What was soooo hard? Did she miss the part about how some teens are "sexting" stuff that gets put out there? It's not just bullying and harrassment. The first? You need to check your kids and find out what they are doing. Ooooh, how does her son get all his information from school these days, since If I'm to believe what I read, everything, from communication to updates about practice is done electronically??? Is he the exception where his teachers and coaches call him?

I want to know what those white eye patches are and where I can get them, because I SO need them!!!! It would have been nice if either Raven or Traci could have told me what they were!!!

And I know I don't always get it right, but when I'm wrong, I do try to correct my mistakes--so, at the risk of getting all nitpicky, Sunny spells her name with a Y, not an I. It's Sunny, not Sunni.

• Love 14

re: yesterday's show

Miss Whoopi outdid herself in her display of moderating "skills" during the Lewis Black segment. If she EVER did a little prep work, she might not have to squint at the monitor and stumble over her word salad and then make scowly faces. For any normal person, that would have been a major embarrassment.

To resurrect an old protest chant , " HEY HEY! HO HO! That Stacy London's GOTTA GO!... HEY HEY..."

• Love 7

The reading of the diaries topic really struck home with me and gave me a good chuckle.  Back when I was in high school, I was taking business courses and loved Gregg Shorthand.  Knowing that my mother snooped endlessly in my room, I wrote my diary entirely in shorthand so she couldn't read it.  However, she had access to someone who knew it well, and I was pretty sure she'd attempt to have it translated.  Thus, my diary's first page was actually a message to dear ol' Mom to the effect of "I know you're having J*** D******** decipher this, so I'll be sure never to write anything in here that I don't want you to know".  I could tell by the look on her face and her pissy attitude just which day she brought it to her friend!  Good times...

• Love 17

Candace can FOAD, in my opinion.  Her willfull ignorance on Planned Parenthood is staggering.  Oh yes, little princess, defunding PP will help the non-abortion clinics thrive.  It's good for small business!  I won't call people like her Pro-Life, I call them Pro-Fetus.  The interest in life ends at birth.  No public assistance for you, disgusting slacker degenerate.  Get a job you lazy newborn. She is beyond disingenuous. She was lying, and she knew it.  She stuttered and stopped, and struggled to cling to the Republican talking points. 

In some areas, Planned Parenthood is the ONLY option.  If I didn't care for the hypothetical children, I would wish unwanted pregnancies on Candace until she hits menopause.  Hate.

• Love 19

Someone should tie Candace to a chair and make her watch John Oliver's Last Week Tonight that aired this past Sunday about abortion clinics, so she can get a good idea of how fucking DIFFICULT it is for a 13 year old girl who was raped, to have an abortion.  And what doctors who perform them, are forced to say to these women.

I agree with your entire post, but wanted to address this particular comment.  I once had a thirteen year old pregnant patient who was suffering from hyper-emesis.  The only cure is the end of pregnancy.  Her mother clearly stated upfront that the girl would have an abortion.  Yet the doctors gave her absolutely nothing for her nausea because it could harm the fetus.  So this little girl laid there, vomiting a gallon at a time, coloring in her coloring book when she could sit up.  It absolutely enraged me. 

• Love 7

GHScorpiosRule said:

They're supposed to give birth to those children? And is Candace willing to foster these kids? They all care about the fetus and pregnancy, but don't give any shits about the women and girls, but once the baby is born, they don't care about them.

Yet, much like Bitsy's "Where are the parents", these high-handed religious zealots are the first to condemn these unfortunate, unplanned mothers if and when they can't reconcile their situations and resent and/or abandon the resulting children.

• Love 7
And I know I don't always get it right, but when I'm wrong, I do try to correct my mistakes--so, at the risk of getting all nitpicky, Sunny spells her name with a Y, not an I. It's Sunny, not Sunni.

Ah thank you. I went with the I because that's how I thought it was spelled. But I'll make sure to use the Y. 

I have to admit the reading diaries bit made me giggle.  I never had one but I know plenty of people that did. Instead I just had notebooks with unfinished stories written in them all over the place. 

Who the hell was Raven imitating with that stupid accent during the Black-ish intro? I didnt' get it.

I think she was trying to do her own valley girl accent or the mocked white girl gossip voice or whatever. 

• Love 1

I just watched the abortion discussion. While I loved when between Joy and Whoopi, CCB was left speechless. I just wish that Joy or Whoopi would sharpen their arguments a little more. In a lot of cases, the other clinics aren't located near the lower income neighborhoods. Also, if the clinic is run by the Catholic church, then no birth control is available. Planned Parenthood is a necessary organization for a wide array of women. The other clinics can continue like they do now and provide services to their clients. Although maybe too many facts would cause CCB to melt into a litlle puddle.

• Love 12

During the conversation about John Kasich, Raven said something to the effect that "Kasich needed to up-date his word plethora!"  For GAWD's sake, that woman is bordering on illiterate!!  Why don't they see that she's incapable of voicing a cogent opinion???

• Love 18

During the conversation about John Kasich, Raven said something to the effect that "Kasich needed to up-date his word plethora!"  For GAWD's sake, that woman is bordering on illiterate!!  Why don't they see that she's incapable of voicing a cogent opinion???

*Snort* bwhahaha. I know, right? It reminds me of that dude on, "In Living Color" (and if I can find a clip I will) who mangled the English language. It was one of the Wayans brothers' characters as a prisoner who said hilariously incorrect words in prison skit interviews. Anyone remember?

Raven: "It's the latest CRAVE"

Oh, let me shutty.

No, wait. I have to say this.

CCB/BAB is bordering on Bits territory for me in that Bits ran me off and I quit watching the show for a LONG time. I even missed Perez and McCarthy and return of O'Donnell. I just recently came back bc I enjoy this thread. But CCB may run me off like Bits did if my bp gets too high.  Pass the beta blockers.  

Sorry I misspelled, " Sunny."  I went back and edited it.  My bad. (hangs head)

• Love 9

The inconsistency of the rape/incest exception many anti-abortionists seem to cling to as proof of their sensitivity is finally starting to get the attention it deserves, and I am glad. Because if all life is sacred, why isn't that life sacred, too?  I am really glad Joy "went there" and demanded an explanation.

Cameron, stunningly, started off well enough, explaining that the rape/incest exception is a kind of compromise.  But it's not a compromise between the people she thinks it is.  It is not an attempt by right to lifers to meet pro choice people halfway.  And it DAMN sure is not about some kind of compassion the RTL movement has for victims of sexual crimes.  

The rape/incest exception is a compromise right-to-lifers make among themselves.  They put aside their belief that every fetus is sacred in order to get laws passed that erode abortion rights. By including rape/incest exceptions in these more and more restrictive laws, it makes them easier to get passed.  Once these onerous limitations on choice have become the status quo, the rape/incest exception will go right out the window as they start trying to pass laws to make abortion illegal altogether.  It's called "political incrementalism."  Of course, that is way too many syllables for Cameron to speak in one sentence, not to mention being a concept too complicated for her to grasp.  I also suspect she would find the mere suggestion that her pro-life counterparts were that politically calculating so offensive she would be unable to even contemplate the possibility. 

I wish the discussion had not circled back around to "who are you to tell another woman what to do" argument after Cameron went all deer-in-the-headlights.  That whole line of discussion has been beat to death in my opinion.  It just leads to the same old response "someone has to speak for the babies."  There is no end to that debate to be had.  Maybe it is good for some young people to hear it though I guess.  Perhaps there are still a significant number of people who need to start considering the issue at its most basic, I don't know.   But I do applaud Joy for at least trying to discuss another aspect of the subject.  I just wish someone at the table had the knowledge and willingness to dig a little deeper into the politics of the situation.  Because that is where the rubber really meets the road.  Rights are being lost that may never be regained and unless people recognize the political strategies being used and resist them, the fight is going to be lost.

I would think Sunny might have actually been that person to take the conversation in that direction, but she seemed to want to stay out of that part of the discussion.  She was all in on the Planned Parenthood part of the debate, but when it got to Joy's point about the inconsistency of the right-to-lifer's position, she was as silent as Cameron.  I actually think Sonny is afraid to come across as too pro-choice sometimes, because when it gets right down to it, she is and I think she is a little troubled by that fact.  

JMHO/YMMV

• Love 14